Hunters and Hunting

Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

Lucien leaned against a tree trunk behind me, watching Brigath with an intensity that was unsettling.

The goblin soon returned with my scotch, and a layered concoction that was carefully set down before Klinton. He nodded at the goblin and then glanced uneasily toward Kyndra. He shifted his gaze and smiled at me before tasting the layered concoction the goblins had brought to him.

Kyndra returned shortly wearing her grass skirt and coconut half bikini top. I blinked, she was stunning. There were several wolf whistles, and Lucien watched Kyndra closely before gliding closer to Brigath. Brig glanced quickly at Klinton and I, .and I felt Lucien's antagonism as he asked Brig if the flowers were for his funeral. I winced. Lucien was extremely displeased with Brigath, and the tension was growing. I know that no one but Brig and I heard Lucien, but that did not allay my concerns over Lucien's current state of mind. And then Lucien gave Brig a fanged smile that was anything but reassuring as Brig suddenly realized Lucien was as close as he was.

Brig's gaze narrowed at Lucien, but whatever he was thinking did not pass his lips at that point.

Klinton sipped his drink and gasped. Whatever the goblins had brought was rough. And he was avoiding looking at Kyndra despite the wolf whistles from the appreciative males on the Isle. I had to chuckle though at the expression on his face, whether it was from the drink or Kyndra, I can't be certain, but it was priceless.

I kicked off the stilettos and curled up against Klinton. "she looks festive," I commented. She was talking with Brigath, and asking where her lei was, as he took one from around his neck and dropped it over her head.

Lucien glided back to stand behind me, but his focus remained on Brig.

I leaned against Klinton's shoulder, "we didn't dress the part my dear." I was trying very hard not to look at Brig, but found my gaze shifting that direction repeatedly. We had come from dinner out, and I had no grass skirt nor flowers in my hair, he grinned, "at least I have a lei."

I chuckled softly, "you will always have a lei."

We were teasing one another amiably as he announced that he would hold me to that promise. He was propped up in the sand beside my chaise and tried another sip of the goblin special, so I reached for his lei, tugging gently to gain his attention.

Kyndra was telling Brigath that she hoped to be a bit distracting for the party, and perhaps a certain dragon. I heard Brig tell her that said dragon would not be there as he had withdrawn his entry, but there was no remorse in Brig's expression. He was savoring being in Kyndra's spotlight.

The Roman, Cassius sailed onto the beach, and abruptly shot a look at Brigath, "I thought you were dead."

Brig chuckled, "Ah, that death thin, yeah, that rumor was going around. But, as you can see, I'm alive and well."

I shuddered. It was no rumor; he HAD been dead. And was only here now because he has become a body snatcher. He was only here because someone else was dead. Klinton tightened his arm around me, inquiring if I was cold. I was, but it was not an externally induced chill. I rubbed my hands up and down my arms, glancing at Klinton, "Just a sudden chill."

Cassius was struggling with a toga, and Brigath tossed him a lei, "here, just wear this, it's more appropriate for tonight."
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

About then, Vanion arrived. I noted that Brig seemed less than happy to see the vampire, and frowned as Vanion announced that he was here for Brig's 'party'. Vanion went on trying to goad Brigath, "such a shame to see that the reports of your demise were greatly exaggerated. I suppose they won't just hand me the Keys to the Tower of Air now."

Brig gave him a sickly sweet smile that I knew too well, "Yes, I really hate to disappoint you in that regard." Then he tossed a flowery lei at Vanion's shadowy figure. Vanion's only reply was a cruel smile.

Lucien watched Vanion briefly, but his attention was riveted on Brigath, and trouble fairly shimmered in the air. Goblins continued to try to get grass skirts on the new comers, and Vanion and Lucien were the most formidable of their attempted victims.

I leaned toward Klinton, speaking softly, "what none of them realize is that Brig's become a body snatcher, and it could have been any one of them used for his needs. I simply cannot believe he did that." A shudder rippled down my spine.

Klinton looks up at me, shaking his head as he glanced around the Isle, he nodded gravely, "It could have been me, or you." He then gave me an odd look, "How does one just 'become' a body snatcher….isn't that something you have to be born with or something?"

I hazarded a quick glance at Brigath, but averted my gaze quickly, then very softly leaned closer to Klinton, "do you have another term for taking a soul out of its living body and then inhabiting it?" Shaking my head, I took a sip of the scotch, wanting to forget the images my mind was creating. Brig had said he'd done this before, and my mind was trying to imagine what the person had looked like that Brig had killed when we were together. It was most unsettling.

He broke my morbid thoughts then, " No...I would say that's body snatching...but, it's hard for me to believe that this is the first time it's ever happened." I hadn't told him that Brig freely admitted to several such events, and that is the terror of it, he’s done it several times previously.

Vanion was trying to pull together a team for the tournament, and was being none too subtle about his goals. Domination of the match, and create his own clique for the evening. Personally I cannot imagine Vanion forming lasting alliances, but that is unkind and unfair since I do not really know him at all.

His call to arms brought the current Keeper of Earth forth, and Kelathe made her way toward him through the crowd. They held their own discussion too low for me to hear, and apparently reached a satisfactory alignment for she remained with Vanion for the start of the Tournament. They concluded their negotiations with Vanion offering Kelathe a firm but reasonably gentle handshake.

Rab trudged in wearing an amazingly clean shirt. Normally the carpenter was less than spotless, but tonight he had made an effort to be presentable. He grinned and looked around before greeting everyone in his usual open good natured way, "hullo Magikers!"

Brigath flung a lei at Rab, who first yelped, then sniffed his flowers, smiling at Brig, “very nice.’ Rab took a serepticious look around the Isle to see how everyone else was wearing their leis before draping it around his neck.

Kyndra smiled invitingly at Brigath, “I guess you’ll have to enjoy my outfit tonight since said dragon won’t be here tonight?”

Klinton finally glanced at Kyndra, “Brig wouldn’t be the only one enjoying the outfit.” But he quickly looked at me, and I had to chuckle.
Rab suddenly blinked, “er, Brig! Yeh look great! I’d heard yeh were…. unwell, as it were.” Rab too had heard that Brig had died.

“A vicious lie! I was sunning myself in Tahiti!!” Brig refuted.
Last edited by Azjah von Drachen Walde on Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Klinton shook his head, “how long has he been doing it?”

I sipped the scotch before answering very softly, “he said ‘several’ times, and when I asked just how old he was, he simply said a couple of hundred years,” He actually is not certain how old he is right now.

Klinton sighed quietly, “are you mad that he is a body snatcher, or mad that you just found out about it?”

And there was the crux of the problem, I didn’t know.

Serveral goblins were attempting to tie a grass skirt around Rab’s middle, and I had to chuckle as Rab started dancing clumsily away from the goblins. “Whoa there,” he yelled, endeavoring to drive them away, “no, no, no, see, I’ve had my dayful of goblin doin’s arready!” But they were ignoring him and continued trying to get him decked out in a grass skirt.

I heard a sharp hiss and turned to see a bold goblin trying to get close to Lucien, and then saw one goblin manage to get part of a skirt shoved into Rab’s belt. “Ack!” Rab made for the punchbowl and was trailing a half applied grass skirt as flaps behind him. Rab was ineffectually shooing goblins, “g’on! Pester someone else!”

Lucien was not being a good sport about it, he snarled at the goblins pestering him, and showed long white fangs every time they tried to get close to him. Abruptly Lucien turned into a half wolf, half Carpathian and lunged at the goblins who were pressing their luck. They ran off in a multitude of directions, each taking part of the grass skirt they were trying to get on Lucien.

Rab seemed to have a change of heart, his expression changed and he muttered, “ah, yeh little bleeders, jest doin’ yer job now, eh?” Then Rab caught sight of Lucien, and let out a screech, “AH!!!!!!!!” taking a few hasty steps back before muttering, “Magikers!”

Lucien’s dead black eyes locked onto Rab in that half wolven form and Rab grinned meagerly, “nice wolfie, er, halfie wolfie.” As he continued to backstep away from Lucien, Lucien began to stalk him.

I was answering Klinton’s question, toying with the glass of scotch, “I do not believe I am angry. Shocked, taken back, repulsed…. But….”

Rab retreated double time toward my chaise as Lucien snarled, “er” was all I heard before looking up to see Rab wide-eyed watching Lucien approach. Rab was towering behind me, but looked very uncertain, “er, Azjah? That Magiker is stalkin’ me. Make it stop.” And he pointed at Lucien.

I had to struggle not to smile. Lucien wouldn’t hurt Rab, so I looked up at the half and half form Lucien had taken, “Lucien, that is playing unfairly.”

Rab waved his big, callused and very empty hands at Lucien, “I left me mallet home, not fightin at all.”

Lucien then shifted into an entirely wolven form and resumed stalking Rab. Who looked at me with wide eyes, “Azjah, I thought yeh’d help! Now lookit him!” I glanced at Lucien, who had taken the form of a very large, dark grey wolf with slavering jaws, and drool dripping onto the sand from very long canines.

Rab began rummaging rather franticly around in his pockets, a look of inspiration on his face. He produced a large sandwich of very questionable contents, “here yeh go, wolfie man”. Where upon he flung the cheesy mass at Lucien.

About that time, Brigath’s voice bellowed out, “LUCIEN! BACK OFF THE GUEST STARS!”

Lucien lifted his head disdainfully, and glowered at Brigath. I smiled at Rab, “he won’t hurt you Rab, he’s enjoying terrorizing you.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Brigath made a kissy face at Lucien, who simply snapped his teeth together at him, and then leaped at Rab. It was a flagrantly provocative challenge that Brigath answered by shifting into wolven form and leaping between Lucien and Rab, snapping back at Lucien.

Rab shouted at Lucien, "Ah! Get of Brig, yeh foul creature! Quick! A mallet!" He was frantically looking around for something to use as a mallet like weapon, forgetting for the moment that Lucien had initially pounced at him. But it was designed to get Brig into a fight, I could tell by Lucien's actions. It was Brig he was angry with. "someone, me plot of land for a mallet!"

Lucien and Brigath snarled at one another, Lucien baring his teeth threateningly.

Des arrived about then, and Rab ran toward her, "Des! This wolf is about to kill Brig! We cant have it! There'll be no tourney! The drinks will disappear! No snacks!"

I shook my head at Rab, "No Rab, Lucien will not harm Brig anymore than he would have hurt you."

At that, Brig shifted back into human form, "lay off man. You got attitude, take it up with me after." With that, he shook his head and turned back toward the rings and the pending party. With that, he turned away and proceeded to ignore Lucien for the remainder of the tournament.

Lucien shifted as smoothly and as easily as Brigath, "you made that invitation, be prepared." And with that, Lucien moved once more to the tree he had earlier been leaning against. He watched as Rab took refuge behind a woman.

Rab was not convinced, "he was about to hurt me, he saw I was unarmed!" But he relaxed slightly behind Des, "Magikers, egad." It wasn't long before Rab was wandering amongst the guests looking for something to snack on. He headed for Rena, greeted her, and commented on her lei.

Klinton sat back, nodding thoughtfully, "but think Azjah, if he was not one of those, he would not have been around to be with you." He took another sip of the goblin's drink, "What is this stuff?" He choked out a whisper to me.

I was considering Klinton's argument when Vanion turned toward me, "What of you, Azjah? Are you fighting tonight?"

I turned arctic azure eyes on the dark vampiric elf, "I thank you for the invitation, but tonight I am only a spectator." Having declined Vanion's invitation, I looked at Klinton, then shook my head at Lucien's actions. "He's got a decidedly twisted sense of humor lately."

Rab gave Lucien an uncomfortable glance while he was talking with Rena.

Berrin arrived, and walked slowly through the portal in silence. He glanced around, and then gave Klinton and I a scoff before heading toward Delroy.

Des was very cheerful and looked lovely as she settled in to prepare to be a commentator for the event. She smiled at Rena and Lucien, as Kyndra teased her asking where her costume was for the beach bash. She waved at Klinton and I before taking a festive looking drink with a little umbrella poked into it.

Kyndra waved at Lucien, who nodded at her, "You are in the spirit of things Lady." She smiled again, "well, Brig said everybody would be dressed up. I think he was still playing a trick on me." Lucien's expression darkened as she mentioned Brig's name. "Not everyone dresses festively" was Lucien's only remark back to Kyndra.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Xerzes arrived, and Rab gave him a grin, "Xerzes was eliminated in the lobby!" And Brig broke into laughter hearing him. Xerzes however did not see the humor in being ribbed.

Klinton looked up at me, his goblin surprise only partly consumed. "Wanna go put on swim suits?"

I leaned close and kissed his cheek, "we could." It would be easier for me to slip into the water than it would be to remain here and listen to Brig
right now. Klinton watched me closely a moment before adding that we could depart and have our own party. I gave him a bright smile, but then I caught sight of Berrin. Threading my fingers around Klinton's lei, I
remained close to him as Berrin simply stared at me. "What kind of party
did you have in mind?" I was trying hard to ignor Berrin and Brig, but it
wasn't working.

Des suddenly saw Vanion, and she fairly squeaked and ran to hide behind Rab as she began gesticulating wildly at Vanion, "ACK!" She was speaking rapidly, something about Vanion having tried to kill her earlier.

Rab was shielding Des, and commenting to Rena about her tall thin drink
with flowers poked up out of it, and holding a gigantic pineapple in his
other hand. "I found this fruit., they said it was a garnish, but I know
it's a pineapple." He studied the pineapple and then tried to tuck it into
his pocket. "OW!" Rab yelped over Brig's announcements, and hastily pulled it from his pocket, muttering to himself.

Querylon greeted Vincent with a bright smile as she draped a lei around his neck. Somehow the image of Vincent wearing flowers seemed so out of place given the dealings I have had with the man. But he returned her smile and they listened politely to Brig's opening announcements.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Brig hovered above the crowd. "OK!" His voice booming magically over the assembled crowd. "We've got a rumble comin' up here!" He pointed to the ring that had been expanded to allow for 10 magic users simultaneously rather than just 2. "Everyone gets in, when we're ready to go, I'll announce the start of the round."

Rab chimed up seeing Xerzes, "Xerzes! Yer already ganged up on and knocked out, sit down." He gave Xerzes a quick grin, and waved his pineapple at the magic user.

Brigath looked at Xerzes, "ahh damn, now I gotta adjust my paperwork."

Xerzes looked at Rab, "Hush you." And he snorted at the carpenter on his way toward the ring.

Klinton leaned over toward me, "The one that doesn't involve swim suits, but what would people think?"

I blushed slightly, but noticed then that his gaze followed Kyndra to the ring. Patting the chaise beside me, I invited him to join me up on the chaise rather than sitting in the sand beside me. He shook his head then, "I'm gonna throw a suit on, come with me." He winked and then tried to pull me off the chaise.

With a laugh, I agreed and told him "Alright, I'm all yours." We slipped through the portal to return later in swimsuits prepared to enjoy the warm waters around Twilight Isle.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

The official known as Tera Destre hid behind Neo, peeking over his shoulder and sticking her tongue out at Vanion before ducking back down to hide. She saw Xerzes arrival, and greeted him, but kept a wary eye on the vampiric elf.

Brigath continued to address the audience, "Our fine commentators this evening will be Rab of the Mallet, and Tera Destre, soon to be Tera Starfare. And now, HERE WE GO!"

The Roman, Cassius needled Xerzes, "You show up for tournaments like you duel in Diamond Quests, dead last."

The duelers headed for the ring, alliances formed, and I heard Kyndra say to Brigath and Des, "I hope you two have a bucket of water handy if my outfit goes up in flames."

Rab made his way to stand beside Destre, telling Kyndra "Ayep, if yer outfit goes up in flames, there'll be many hands to put it out." He nodded sagely before beginning his commentator's role. "Yer all in for a big mess. Lover gainst lover and brother gainst arch-evil-enemy an all that. IT’S A FINE NIGHT FOR DAMAGE!" And then he promptly covered his ears with his hands as though expecting something to go BANG any moment.

Des agreed with Rab, "Oh, this is so grand, don't ya think Rab? So exciting."

He still had his hands over his ears, "WHAT?"

Des continued, "Who is gonna hit who, and how and with what?"

Rab grinned, "Hope yeh got a janitorial someone for all the body parts Brig."

The first several rounds showed that Artemus was the premier target for this tournament. He was summarily attacked by Vanion's alliance, and was the first to be eliminated from the competition. Rab seemed surprised by the taking of sides in such a flagrant manner, "I mean, could that many really dislike Art and Xerzes that much? They're kind to animals and such. Not like Vanion for instance, or so they say."

Destre booed Vanion and his allies soundly, clearly not maintaining an air of independence as commentators.

Xerzes was soon to follow. The alliances clearly marking certain people in a pecking order for elimination.

Queen Teleperien arrived and skirted the crowd in search of a table, and was greeted by Rab, whom she graciously greeted in retrurn. I caught a faint image of the elven woman's thoughts, and apparently the carpenter has trouble with magic and has fallen into fits in the past when too much was surrounding him.

I stood completely still, my focus on Brigath. The ending of this tournament could not come soon enough. We have a score to settle, and we will settle it tonight.

The Marquess and Marchioness returned dressed for taking a swim in the warm waters off the Isle. He wore only swimming trunks and escorted the Marchioness who was dressed in pale blue bikini and white silk wrap. The Marquess had his arm around her waist, and I was pleased to note that she looked a bit more relaxed than she had been since Brigath's return.

King Gavilean Starfare arrived through the portal right behind The Caer's, and he came with a beach towel and wearing shorts. It seems very odd for me to see royalty dressed thusly, it is not the way of my people nor Rigel, but this place does lend itself to unusual combinations.

The King and the Marchioness greeted one another, before the Marquess leaned closer to speak to Azjah. I could hear him clearly, as he asked her what she would do with him in this water all by themselves. Her greeting to Gavilean resulted in a muttered answer for himself, "invite others over apparently." But the King was much too interested in seeing Tera, and he made a beeline for the commentator.
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

The trouble maker Berrin made note of the teasing between Klinton and Azjah, and shook his head but began to move in their direction. He had not learned to avoid them after his encounter with me, so be it, I can deal with his presence.

The Marchioness shivered seeing Berrin, "how about we go quietly in and see?"

Klinton started to inquire if she was cold, but noting the look from Berrin, agreed and they headed alone into the water, putting distance between themselves and Berrin, who was not dressed for such an environment. She draped her wrap over a chair and they slid into the darkened water.

I did take a few minutes to study Vanion. He appeared to have been elven at one time, but now was more vampire than elf. He has a sadistic and cruel streak that is so much a part of the Vampyr. He was enjoying his choreography of his allies for this tournament, and was having startling success.

Queen Teleperien continued to watch Vanion as Destre yelled "VANION TRIED TO KILL ME!" Gavilean glanced around, "Who is this Vanion?"

Tera gave him a radiant smile, "Hah! That Vanion is getting a whooping too!"

I crossed my arms and glanced back at Brigath.

I felt the stirring of the arrival of Xenograg. He walked through the portal and looked around. He was greeted by the elven Queen. They settled together at her table and began to catch up with one another, but Xeno's expression clearly said that he had heard of Brigath's death, and was surprised to see him now. Eldar tea was ordered as he settled in to watch part of the tournament. I felt when he raised protective shields against the excessive flow of magic on the island tonight. He glanced at the ring, asking Teleperien "do we call this a melee despite the lack of weapons?"

I glanced at the darkened water, assuring myself of the safety of my charges before shifting into wolven form and padded around the perimeter of the rings. As I got behind Rab, I growled low, the wolf inside grinning at his fear of this form. Rena glanced between Rab and I at the sound of a low growl.

Rab abruptly noticed me behind him, "Hey!" He stood up, trying to shoo me away, "Des, there's a wolf who's really a man behind yeh!"

I curled my lip at him, showing long white fangs as he grabbed his prickly pineapple once again, offering it to me, "here, I can't open it anyhow." I snapped my teeth together in disgust and began to move again. Padding further around the rings, I moved nearer to the elven one and sat down silently beside her before sticking a cold wet nose under her hand.

She looked down, "well, hello," and gently scratched my ears as Xenograg simply looked at me. The attention was pleasing and a slight wag of my tail told the elven one such. She continued to talk to me for a moment before glancing at Xenograg, who was clearly not comfortable with so much magic being used. I cocked my head to the side and growled low at the man with her.

Xenograg glanced quickly at me as Teleperien tried to sooth my temper, "he won't bother you.' But the aura of the sorcerer was off, and it set my hackles on end. I snarled low as he looked at me yet again. The elven one did not understand what had me agitated, and she gave the man a shrug that said so clearly.

I gave Teleperien's hand a quick lick before rising and moving again, making my way closer to the caller in preparation for the end of the tournament. Growling low as I passed Xenograg. I heard her ask if he had refused to feed me, but it was so much more than that. But they did not feel it apparently.

I glanced across the beach, and nearly barked a laugh as I watched the carpenter fend off a goblin that was trying to adjust his grass skirt.

At length, I moved within stalking distance and began the slow, purposeful slink wolves incorporate before launching an assault on their prey. I felt several pairs of eyes watching me, the Elven queen, Rab, and a woman called Querylon. Rab tried to warn Brigath of my presence, but the sorcerer was occupied with his tournament.
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

I heard Rena comment to someone that the alliances formed this night would not last, and she is certainly correct in that respect. They would not last beyond this very night.

I dropped into a pounce ready position near the officials, and my nose twitched slightly as I waited. A soft snarl rumbled from my throat as I watched Brigath. About that time I heard Topaz walk up from the beach, waving and greeting everyone as she moved forward. I froze in mid stalk.

She spotted me and winked before moving on to join Xenograg and Teleperien, and I resumed my inexorable approach toward my quarry.

She sat down and joined them, and I heard her tell them that her senior officers were all out of town. We would need to have discussions about sharing that kind of information so freely in such a public forum. Do fairies have no sense of self preservation?

She quickly covers, "Oh, I wasn't supposed to tell anyone. Oops." But she did not appear to be in the least bit remorseful about saying such a thing in public. She then changed the subject, asking what she had missed so far.

I growled low. She needs a Hunter just to keep her safe from her own folly!

My growl had Rab nervously looking behind him, as though he were afraid I might have snuck up behind him, but he is not my quarry.

Des commented again for Topaz that Vanion had tried to kill her, and the elven Queen looked at her with an expression that said she too has had close calls with the vampire. Topaz told her that "Vanion has nothing but bad blood, that's no news."

I caught a fleeting image from the vampire of humor, and something about simply being misunderstood. Every Vampyr I have hunted has felt the same, but in the end, it is because they are understood that they are shunned and feared as they are.

I felt Topaz's gaze seek me out amongst the crowd, and I slunk lower to the ground, watching every movement of my quarry. I could feel the urge to hunt rising sharply.

Rab commented that he’d like to see in the ring was the sudden appearance of exotic beasties to fight in the place of the sorcerers, animals like elephants and dragons, but I don’t think he would like to have a dragon rampant if my little snarls worry him so.

Topaz laughed, “be careful what you wish for Rab.”

Destre agreed, “Ohhh, now that would be mighty fine to see Rab, like Kalinda and her tattooes that come to life!”

I swung my head toward Rab and gave him a full mouth wolfish smile before padding slowly toward the fairy. I was greeted with a warm smile and a scratch behind my ear. “How are you this evening?”

Xenograg looked at Topaz, “that wolf seems to not like me.”

She chuckled merrily, “I wonder why.”

He winked at her, “I suppose I am just too dangerous.”

I did not look at Xenograg, but focused my attention upon Brigath as Topaz observed that it was wonderful that he was back. There are many words I would use to describe the condition of his return, but wonderful is not one I would consider. I growled low at their discussion.

Topaz chuckled as she continued to stroke my fur, “I know, and he deserved every bit of the beating Azjah was sure to have given him. But don’t you think one dressing down’s enough?”

Xenograg shot me another look. “I will not cross the Marchioness.”

I nuzzled her hand, but continued a low rumbling growl at Brigath.

She leaned down close to my ears, “He did say the previous owner had misbehaved. Very much misbehaved. Like the lich-things maybe.”

I turned my head toward her, giving a short bark, and returned to watching the caller.

“Yes Sir,” she replied to my bark. I wanted to grin, but it would have ruined the effect of the growl at that point. But in the end, I gave her a sideways glance and a wolfish grin.

She chuckled again, “remind me to tell you the story about the mountain valley deer.”

I slunk out from beneath her hand and moved toward the caller. The ring was nearly empty, and soon it would be time.
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

I returned to a stealthy stalking, moving in a freeze-frame manner toward Brigath, and when I was close enough for an effective pounce, I dropped and waited. I could feel Topaz’s eyes on me, but she remained back and silent.

Kyndra had left the ring, and Brigath was asking the group for a round of applause for Rab and Destre. They were wrapping it up, and the time was at hand.

Rab relocated his pineapple, and Kyndra returned to her blue drink, and I growled low, just barely in the range of human hearing. Rab glanced around nervously, and then hurried for the portal.

My gaze was locked on Brigath, snarling loudly as the goblin departed. As I launched myself at Brigath’s shoulders, Kyndra moved in saying “well, my outfit survived, but Brigath ducked quickly, putting himself between Kyndra and I, despite the fact that Kyndra was never in danger from me. With a snarling bark, I whirled back around to face him.

Kyndra raised a brow, and Brigath laid a hand on Kyndra’s shoulder, “excuse me for a moment,” and he disappeared briefly. I watched his every move as Topaz advised Kyndra to remain out of the line of this battle.

Brigath reappeared out of uniform, looked at me with an equal dislike, “bring it” was all he said before he shimmered into the form of a black wolf.

I leaped from my crouched position as did he, and we crashed together in mid air with teeth snapping and claws ripping at one another. I grabbed a mouth full of his neck fur just as we crashed together, chest to chest. We hit the ground together hard.

I heard Topaz comment that this should be interesting, and that she was torn in loyalties, uncertain whom to cheer for. Rena wondered what had brought this on as she watched beside Topaz.

Topaz glanced at Rena, “Brigath had the audacity to die temporarily without telling Azjah before hand, I think.”

Rena took a sip of her beer, “okay, and?”

Topaz shrugged, “though, I could be wrong.” She was wrong, but I would discuss it with her later.

Rena scoffed, “Knowing her, I doubt it.” It is lamentable that Rena in fact does not know the Marchioness. Not at all, but there is an animosity there that is not explained, and not likely to be resolved, and so the misinformed opinions she holds are likely to remain.

We both rolled to our feet, snarling at one another when a white streak raced through the portal, slamming into my side. I yelped at the unexpected attack, seeking to roll away from the female. The white she-wolf snapped for my ear, and I spit out the fur from Brigath, leaping at the man again.

Brigath stood his ground, doing his best to keep me in position for Kayla’s next attack. It was two on one, but the battle was joined, and that would not stop me now. He circled as Kayla snarled, circling between Brigath and I. I lunged at the front legs of the white wolf, clamping jaws down over her foreleg, using the power of the wolven form to try to break her front leg.

She yelped, snapping at my face, and garnering a mouth full of fur and raking teeth across my cheek. As I hung onto her front leg, Brigath leaped upon my back, tearing at my sides with his claws, and seeking to sink his teeth into my neck muscles.

I snarled at Brigath, releasing the white wolf as blood ran in rivulets from the tears in my sides. Pain was a red haze at the edges of my vision, and I lunged for the black wolf’s face. Both wolves lunged in, and my own yelp echoed across the beach as they drew more blood.

The white wolf tried to drag herself back, away from the tearing and rending that Brigath and I were engaged in. Her leg was a bleeding mess, but she rolled, using her hind legs to claw at my belly.

I leaped free of her tearing hind claws and spun around on Brigath, sinking teeth into anything I could reach. He had leaped free of my back once the white wolf was free of my teeth.
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

The Marquess and Marchioness walked slowly along the sand, slowly approaching the small crowd after their interlude away from the crowds when she glanced toward the ring and went pale. She dropped the Marquess’ arm and began sprinting across the sand toward where Brigath and I were squared off again. The Marquess saw what was happening and joined his wife in a race across the sand to the rings.

I heard the Marchioness’ voice, “stop it! Lucien!!!” She skidded to a halt surveying the scene up close, “Oh hell. Klinton? Do you have that dagger?””

Klinton stopped beside his wife, studying the scene before him as well. There was blood and fur laying in the sand as two wolves remained sizing one another up, poised for yet another attack and defense. “LUCIEN!” He glanced at Azjah, “NO! Just the trunks tonight.” The marchioness reached for her shoulder holster, but she did not have it with the swimming suit and wrap.

Kayla was dragging herself away from the two aggressive males, and Topaz moved toward her, “would you like me to have a look at that leg?” There was a great deal of blood, and my teeth had lacerated her leg thoroughly, but I had not broken the bones. I heard Topaz call my name, but I could not take my gaze off Brigath.

Topaz did not wait for Kayla’s permission before she set to work with her fey magic placing some shields in place to stop the bleeding, “this would be easier if you were to hold still for a moment,” she told Kayla.

I limped back several steps, and Brigath crouched low, growling. The hair on my back was standing up as I prepared to answer the challenge in Brigath’s growl. Just as I began to circle the black wolf, Klinton stepped between us. It was a very dangerous place to be, but he stood his gound. “Lucien! Do NOT attack.”

Abruptly Brigath shimmered back into human form, clutching the Key of Air. “Enough.” Kayla had left Topaz’s ministrations and was standing behind me, prepared to leap.

I shifted into humanoid form, a red glow in the depths of my eyes I was certain as I locked gazes with Brigath. My blood began seeping through the white shirt and black trousers.

“I don’t know what problem you have with me, but you’d better get over it fast,” came Brigath’s words through panting breaths trying to regain his composure.

Topaz moved to turn her attention on Brigath and I, but then she agreed with Brigath, and I would not permit her to come to my side to see the damage.

I was not breathing hard since such is not required, and my words were a low snarl, “You are no better than Vampyr.” I could feel the rage still flickering in my eyes.

Klinton spoke up a bit to Brigath, but his eyes remained on me, “Are you okay Brig? Is anyone hurt?”

The Marchioness moved toward me. She stood at my side for the moment as Klinton whispered to her. I straightened to my full height still glaring at Brigath.

Topaz’s voice was soothing, “That is wrong Lucien.” She did not see her friend as the monster he is, and I gave her a quick look. I would not allow her to practice her magic upon me. She was trying, but her stand was with that unnatural monster Brigath.

Brigath glared hard at me, “Is that supposed to mean something to me?”

“It should” was all I said to him. He knew my point well enough. He did not require further explication.

Brigath glowered, “well, why don’t you enlighten me? Why does your dislike of vampires cause you to want to attack me?”
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

The Marchioness lightly touched my arm, “I think we should go.”

I did not look at her, “Gabriel is coming. He will escort you home.”

The Marquess glanced at me, “And you Lucien? What will you do?”

For the moment, I ignored the Marquess and focused on Brigath, “Only the vilest creatures take bodies as you have done.” There was no venom, no emotion at all in my words. It was a thing of fact and not an emotional decision.

Topaz shook her head and tried to move closer to me, “I told you, it’s like you hunting vampires. Kind of. At least I thought I did.” She then turned to Brigath, “Maybe you should tell him about the guy you got the body from Brigath.”

Brigath was as angry as before, “Ahhhh, I see. So suddenly you care about HOW someone is killed. No qualms about, oh, say, burying them alive underground.” He snorted, “it’s very convenient to justify your own actions by looking down on those of others.”

I gave him a slow, lethal smile, “I am a Hunter. Hunting Vampyr is different from what you have done.” While Vampyr will take the body of their victims, I have never done so. Killing those in need of dying is one thing. Killing them to take their body for your own use or pleasure is the mark of Vampyr.

Topaz’s voice was low, “is it Lucien?” I glanced at her and nodded.

Brigath looked around the small crowd, spotting Berrin, “Berrin!” The Marquess had moved toward Brigath, inviting him to join him for a drink, a means to break the stand off, but when Brigath summoned that menace Berrin, he stopped . Brigath waved Berrin toward them, “a moment of your time please.”

Berrin looked up from his spot in the sand, slightly confused at being summoned by the Keeper, and I gave him a derisive look. The Marchioness moved to stand between Brigath and myself, but she gave Berrin a wary look.

Brigath continued, “No, no, don’t get up, just answer me a question please. Are you perchance a vampire?” Brigath was ignoring everyone’s attempts to end this stand off, which is the only thing I find admirable in the creature.

Berrin stopped in mid rise, “Umm, no. I assure you I am not. Should I be?”

Topaz chuckled softly hearing the question, and then looked quickly at Berrin, “No, Berrin.”

Brigath nodded, “Thank you,” and then looked back at me and simply raised an eyebrow.

“You have failed to make your point. THAT,” indicating Berrin, “is simply a slime mold. You on the other hand are more vile than the creature that yields his soul for a quick kill.” Killing Berrin would have been easy, and has nothing to do with the actions Brigath has taken. He did not simply kill. He killed to acquire a body for his own purposes. There in is the difference.

“Ah yes, that again. He is slime mold so it’s ok to murder him.” Brigath snorted, but he ignores the action that makes my killing very different from his slaying. I do not kill to acquire the body to inhabit. He did.

I gave Brigath a slow smile that held no mirth, “He would not be missed, and his death would not have resulted in a leech living within his shell.”

Berrin rose, looking hatefully at me, and began a slow approach, “I do not see the harm I have ever done to you.”

Azjah began to walk toward the portal, “Lucien, Brigath, please, this is not the time, nor the place.” She wanted this to end, but she could not quite look at Brigath. What he has become repulses even the Marchioness.

Brigath crossed his arms, “Stuck up prick. Dead is dead. Doesn’t matter what happens to the body afterwards.”

But that is where he is wrong. It very much DOES matter what happens to the body afterwards. And the reason I can never accept his ongoing existence. “You killed him so you could take his body. There is a vast difference. And what vileness would help you do such an abomination?”
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

Topaz spoke softly, “I am glad Brigath found a way to survive the lich vampires. And I am quite sure Brigath would have used this opportunity to rid RhyDin of something just as bad in the process.

He shook his head, “No Lucien, there isn’t. You would have killed Berrin for a few words that he said. How is that cause better than killing a man to stay alive?””

I gave Berrin a fanged snarl as Kyndra shuddered, knowing precisely why I am after Berrin.

Sneering at Brigath, “But not to inhabit his body. Killing is one thing. This is totally different.” The man had killed to keep his own life despite the fact that his victim had not attacked him. There was no self defense. It was theft of a body and the murder of a man to prolong his own that was forfeit fighting the lyches. “So you find it acceptable to survive at all costs? Never mind the price others pay for your ‘needs’?”

The Marchioness pushed lightly against my chest, she’d returned from her effort to lead me to the portal, “go home Lucien.”

“Well, I think we’re just gonna have to agree to disagree there, Lucien, old bag,” Brigath shook his head, “listen to your mistress, get out of here.”

I glared at Brigath, “You are vile Vampyr.”

Topaz moved beside me, “I’ll walk with you part way Lucien.” So I offered my arm to her and she laced her arm with mine.

Brigath snorted, “and you are an ignorant asshole. But I still love you.” Then puckered his lips and blew me a kiss, but his eyes were as hard as my own. This was not finished between us.

Vanion had been silent up to this point. He’d silently hoped I would kill Brigath, but had not joined in when Kayla made it two against one, and then his opinion of me had changed when he learned that I am a Hunter, sworn to hunt and lay to permanent rest all Vampyrs. “No you puke, I am a “Vile Vampyyyyr” He was trying to mimic my native accent

I paused briefly, “A Hunter will end your time.”

Vanion smirked, “So many have said. Do you know what I like to do when racist bigots threaten me?” He then walked close enough to whisper. Our paths will cross again. Of that, there can be no doubt.

Kyndra quickly jointed Brigath, “I’m glad you’re back, no matter how you got here.” He moved off with the woman ad Topaz and I moved away from the rings. The white wolf limped along beside Brigath. He leaned over and gave her a long kiss, “I need to get out of here. A fine night just turned sour.”

She nodded, “I see that, well, have a good night.”

He stopped and turned to her, inviting her to give a whisper, he would come for her and take her to the Tower of Air. That brought a long studying look from the Marquess.

I heard the Marchioness turn to Klinton and say that things had gotten out of hand. I have not finished this, but I have made myself a resolution. Brigath will not see anything but charm from me when the Marchioness is around, but, she is not always around.

I walked along with Topaz, as she tried to put an acceptable cover on Brigath’s actions, “Perhaps I should first tell you about Tyr, or even better, the demon in the mana.”
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

I keep walking, “He is vile, Topaz.”

She spoke quietly as we left the others behind, “There’s a desire to stay alive in every creature. You hunt, I eat and consume magic. Brigath on a rare occasion switches body. Not just anyone mind you. He is particular as you about who to kill and who or what not to. You are trying your darnedest to hold onto the light. Brigath is essentially good too. There was no evil done.” She turned her gaze up toward me, a hopeful expression on her face.

I quirked a brow at her, “How can you call someone good who had killed in order to have a new body?” For me, this action is much too close to the Vampyr that my people can become.

“The same way I know you’d have stopped before you’d have killed Brigath, even had there been no interference.”

I gave her a skeptical look, “You believe that?”

She smiled up at me, “I’d still rather you’d not go around hating Brigath over ome misunderstanding, and Yes, I do.”

I lifted a brow at her choice of words, “I do not hate,” and then looked out over the Isle. We were well away from the others now.

She chuckled softly, “okay, strongly dislike.”

I turned toward her then, “I do not dislike Brigath either. It is simply a matter of doing what is right.” She seemed so very intent on seeking my acceptance of what that creature has done.

We continued walking as she said, “that perception definitely plays a large part, and you do like flowers.”

“You look pleasing in flowers,” was all I said. I could never stop hunting the man for his actions, but it would not do to tell her that right now.

She glanced sideways at me, “Yet, you do not see their colors,”

I shrugged, “I have not seen colors since I was very young.”

She paused then, “do you still remember what they looked like?”

“Yes, but they seem to be lacking in vibrance, as though even memory is fading.” The colors I remember seem to become less and less brilliant. As if memory fades as my sight had, only more slowly.

Her fingers tightened slightly around my arm, “a little is better than nothing at all. This dress, and my eyes are both the same color, very light blue. Perhaps if you practice using those memories, they will not slip away completely.”

I paused, studying her a moment, trying to see blue from memory, “the same shade of grey as the Marchioness’ eyes to me. But perhaps you are right.” I cannot see the colors, but I can remember them. I turned toward the Tower of Air then, a scowl creeping into my face.

“It is pretty, isn’t it?” she asked, noting the direction of my gaze.

“It is functional. Its current resident troubles me.” I remained unmoving.

She smiled, “He will be fine. The little shields will stay in place until the body healed itself. Your’s too.” She was deliberately misinterpreting what I worried about.

Turning slowly toward her, “Your concern for me was unnecessary. I will heal when I go to ground.”

She reached up, but did not touch my face, “but, you might have done so without me getting a chance to talk with you.” Her hand dropped back to my arm once more.
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

We continued walking, “that would have been unfortunate for me.” And then I tried to change the topic, “There have been no more sightings?”

She shook her head, “No, none. I was back and looked thoroughly. I kept my promise too. Walter and Fred were along.” I lifted a brow at her. “Body guards.”

“Did you drop your culling to use your senses?” I did not want to think she had gone to the island with her senses dulled to the point that she would not sense one until she was right upon it.

I picked up the echo of her thoughts, about not telling me that neither of her body guards had a bit of magic about them, and covered it with a quick “aye, sir.”

I resumed our walk, heading for the cliffs, “did you know Topaz, Carpathian life mates have no secrets because they share a psychic connection at all times.” I turned to watch her expression.

“No, I didn’t. What kind of psychics?” She took the change of subject well.

“Many would call it telepathic, but it is more. Once blood is exchanged and the vows said, neither can hide any thoughs” I did not add that there was never a desire to hide thoughts, and this connection between lifemates resulted in their bonds growing with time rather than weakening as many other species.

She was caught up in this topic now, “what about emotions?”

“Emotion and color returns.” I was enjoying her curiosity. This was the first time I could remember anyone other than the Marchioness taking an interest in my people. Well, an interest that did not seek the extermination of our kind.

She gave me a smile that needed flowers, “You said that before. I meant the knowledge of them in another.”

I deliberately misunderstood her, and shrugged, “I have heard of such happening. Gregori was seeing a single person in color, everything else was in black and white. The woman was his lifemate, that he was seeing through another.” He’d met Alexandra’s image when he was merged with Jacques. Jacques saw her in person, and that image was the only thing about what he saw that Gregori registered as being in color.

She was surprised, “can you do that? Seeing through another?”

I gave her a quick smile, “if we have a connection. Usually it’s a blood exchange, but family can do so as well.” We can do many things together, seeing through another is just one thing, but it was not time to tell her that I could kill another through their eyes.

She puzzled on that a moment, “what happens when one of such a couple dies?”

I took a deep breath, even though I physically do not require it, “The other does not survive the loss. Most often, the surviving mate walks into the sun.” Such a death is gruesome, but better than the sense of loss the survivor would suffer. “A lifemate is the connection of two souls. There can be no mistakes.” If the pair are not truly lifemates, the vows will not bind them, and the other does not suffer the loss of one.

“I guess that beats some of the alternatives. I’ve been married before. Twice that it counted for anything.” She moved then, “The first was a mistake. I was happy with Krollon. He too could shift his soul from one body to another, though he did not have to kill to do so. I consider him having been a soul mate, but no connection as you speak of was ever possible.” She was not dressing up anything now, these were honest words and facts.

Something possessive lifted it’s head at her admission of being happy with Krollon. “There have been a few Carpathians that became desperate, they tried to bind to someone not their soul mate, and it failed. It resulted in the death of one of our women.” I staggered a bit and reached for my ribs. Blood had been steadily seeping from the wounds Brigath had left me with earlier. I told her it was imperative that I go to ground, and she smiled, informing me that she wanted me in dancing shape for King Starfare’s wedding. I gave her a fanged grin, “when next I rise, you will not be able to keep pace with me.”

She smiled back, is that a challenge?”

I nodded, “If you would like, yes. I shall make it my solemn duty to make certain you dance until there is not a step left in you at this wedding.”

She laughed merrily, “then you may have to carry me home.”

I lifted her hand to my lips, “That would be my pleasure.” With that, I faded from the visible spectrum as a shower of Edelweiss flowers rained down where she stood.

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”