Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Tenuous Silence

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

It had been weeks since I had been able to go to the Arena. The uproar at the Palazzo had died into uneasy silence. Even Klinton was keeping close lipped about that night, and would only say that Gabriel had asked him not to 'bother' me with the issue. I have never liked secrets that don't include me. I dislike this one because it affects my home, and the security of my home. My husband however can be a stubborn man, and has stubbornly refused to comment further.

Lucien never let me out of his sight any more, and both twins had been present when Vitus had come unexpectedly to the Palazzo to negotiate an arms deal. Even Eoin was wound tight as a clock spring whenever I saw him. Something was wrong, or they suspected something, but no one was talking.

At length I managed to convince Lucien that I needed a night out despite the fact that Klinton was not available to go along, and we headed for the Arena. Lucien remained beyond the visible spectrum for most people, and gave me a bit of distance for a change.

As I headed for an empty table, I spotted Raevyx for the first time in ages. I smiled and altered my course to go greet him.

"bwael tangisto Azjah" came his low voice as he and I met in greeting.

It had been too long since I'd heard that voice, "bwael tangisto, I've missed you," I told him most sincerely,

He wrapped his arms around me in a warm embrace, and I could hear Lucien's hiss behind Raevyx as he said "aye, as have I my dear abbil."

I returned the hug and shot Lucien a quick look. It had been reconciled a long time ago that the scar Lucien carried was a risk he knew he faced when he went to meet Raevyx. Old animosities die hard for some people, and Lucien would respect my friendship with the Illythiiri.

"Are you to be in Rhydin long?" I inquired of him and was disappointed to learn that he was only back for a couple of days at most. He had business in the Underdark, but that he would be available most of the time. His business was not with the Temple at this time, but rather with his Manor and the rival House I'd heard a little about during our trip to his home.

I was concerned and inquired about the trouble, and he laughed, "my dear Abbil, there is always trouble in The Underdark."

I should have remembered that, and a shudder rippled down my spine as he reminded me of his driders and their protection of his manor. I should have let it go, but asked him what he would do about the continuing attacks. Truly, I should know better than to ask such questions, but a morbid curiosity has always been mine.

He gave me a nonchallant shrug and said, "I will do what any good Asmodean would do. I will be using their dead to rid myself of them entirely."

He then offered me the glass of scotch he'd held and asked how I was doing.

With a smile as I accepted the glass of Dalwhinnie, I asked him if he'd given up drinking scotch before adding that I was alright and had been working with Vitus recently.

He grinned and informed me that he knew. His association with the Temple probably meant that he knew most of the details of the deal too. Thus I told him that the delivery details had been finalized.

It struck me then that he might be involved in Vitus' coming battles, and I inquired, "will you be joining Vitus in his endeavor?"

His reply allowed me to release my breath, that I had not realized I had been holding when he said "I do not know.... if I am able to stay on the surface for longer periods of time, I might."

At least for the time being, he would not be heading into that conflict.

He realized he was needed elsewhere, and bid me adieu with a promise to return on the morrow.

I swirled the scotch a moment before kicking off the stilettos. Lucien moved closer, whispering to me a warning about the Temple and my growing involvement with its members.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

What an Odd question

Raevyx had departed, and Cory gave me a nod of greeting as I curled up on the sofa to watch. "Evenin', Azjah."

"Good evening Cory, how is the dueling going?" I sipped the scotch thoughtfully.

"Pretty good fo' everyone else it seems," he said through one of his trademark smiles. "Been kind o' a ghost lately. Business picked up?"

I smiled a bit ruefully, "I have been working on a rather large order, and Lucien has been a mother hen about my going out." There was no point in opening the discussion about the code of silence around the Palazzo lately.

"Big orders are good," he nodded and sipped his bourbon and chuckling, ostensibly about Lucien. He knows how intricately involved he is in my life, and how much I sometimes chafe at the restrictions. "He's onl'a lookin' out fo' ya."

I had to laugh despite my misgivings, "Yes, they are, but they draw unwanted attention sometimes. He's an old hen Cory."

"He's also doin' he's job." Cory reminded me.

Yes, he is, but I have never liked restrictions and rules, and as I get older, I like them even less. I nodded at Cory's words, "yes, but something's up between them and Klinton." Oh damn, had I said that in public?

"Oh?" Cory picked up his glass and meandered closer to my sofa.

"So it seems Cory. They won't talk about it, but a couple of weeks ago when we came home, the house was in an uproar, and now it's silent. Somthing's up." Well, I'd said it out loud with Lucien listening. There would be hell to pay later.

He grabbed a chair and positioned it near my sofa, "Wha's all the buzz 'bout?"

I swirled the scotch and gave Lucien a quick look, "That's the question Cory. We apparently had a visitor, and now no one will tell me whom, or what they wanted. But security is way up."

He raised his glass to his lips a moment, "An'a in particular ya can think o' which would call fo' tha'?"

"None that I think would come so blatantly to the Palazzo. That's what is so odd about it." I'd given it a lot of thought, and the only person I could think of would have been Kendrick, but he wouldn't be so foolish as to come to the Palazzo! But beyond him, I cannot think of anyone who would set the house on edge like that.

"Was an'athin' taken?" Cory's question brought me out of my reverie.

"We've been having some intermittent issues with the security systems, and the computer systems, but nothing missing that I know of." The security glitches were the most troubling. The computer issues were simply annoying.

Cory drank his bourbon thoughtfully, "Hmmm, nice t'see ya were able to get out. Iff'n it's only t'night."

"You haven't heard anything during your travels, have you?" It was not likely, but Cory had some interesting friends and contacts.

"Were all the cameras knocked out? Surely this individual iddn't walk all the way there. They might've left some sort of transportation near the gate."

I wanted to laugh. Eoin had made certain the images were not available for my review. I don't know where they are secreted, but somewhere there are captured images of whomever had been in the house.

Cory told me he had not been doing much traveling of late, and apologized for not being able to help. And so I changed the subject, asking how he and Anjolie were doing.

He inpsected his glass which was nearly empty before saying "She's the one been travelin'. Go' back from a show jus' the oth'a evenin'."

I misunderstood him and thought he'd been with her at the show, and asked if they had gone home, or other travels.

He told me he'd been home the whole time trying to keep a handle on his daughter. It was then I caught onto his tone.

"Have you been successful?" I asked with a smile. His daughter was a bundle of energy, and I have little doubt that the child keeps him very, very busy.

He beamed proudly, "Fo' the mos' part."

I chuckled, "you're a better guardian than I then Cory."

He smiled, "There's still 'lot tha' I need t'learn."

I thought about that a moment, "for some people it seems to come naturally, for others....."

He cracked a grin at that, "Tha' jus' poses a question I'm dyin' t'ask."

Quirking a brow at him, "indeed? What question would that be Cory?"

"'ave ya an' Klinton talked 'bout havin' children?" His eyes glittered with curiosity and a bit of mischief.

I coughed a bit over the sip of scotch I had been about to take, "not precisely, no. Why do you ask?"

About that time, Brigath burst out laughing. He'd heard Cory's question, and in his usual suave manner, had shown what he thought of the idea of my having children of my own. I shot Brig a look before focusing once more on Cory.

"Curiosity really...." was all Cory said.

We talked for a few more minutes before I felt Lucien's nearness. It was time to go. I asked him to convey my greetings to Anjolie and headed for the door.

What an odd question from Cory.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I walked down the stairs into the Arena for the second night this week. Lucien was grumbling softly as he took up a place along the wall where he could watch everything that was going on in the room. Harris was there boo-ing a pair of duelers, but it was as though he really didn’t have anything better to do at the moment. I chuckled, “Hello Harris.”

He turned and grinned, “Oh look, it’s Azjah.” He was popping peanuts into his mouth faster than a chipmunk.

As I found my table and sat down, I told Harris that I thought it was easier to spot him than it was to see me in a crowd, and that I felt “outshone”.

Harris tugged the blue hair atop his head, “It should be easier to spot me with this mop.”

Markus arrived and I send him for a glass of scotch, “precisely Harris. How is your son doing?”

He groaned, “Meh. Babies. Babies do uncool baby things. I make an effort not to be seen with him as I have a rep to uphold.”

I chuckled, “Yes, they do, but you have one.” I settled onto the sofa and kicked off the stilettos. About that time Kyndra arrived, waving, “Good evening!!” She cheerily joined me and we sat to watch the duels. Presently the thud of a staff preceded the arrival of Lord Momus to the Arena.

I took the scotch glass from Markus as Kyndra and I spoke. She looked lovely, and the look she gave Tasslehofl when he entered suggested she was very fond of the old dragon.

Harris was lamenting that he was bored, and I can think of few things riskier in the Arena than having Harris bored. There is simply too much there to tempt the lunatic. I spoke up to Harris advising that it was a risky thing for him to be bored.

Lord Momus blew a kiss to Kyndra and I teased him about being such a flirt. With the arrival of Kyndra and Tass, I asked Markus to come back for drink orders for Lord Momus and Kyndra. Harris took a bit of umbrage at my offering drinks to my friends and failing to offer him one. “Don’t worry, I’m not thirsty. But it was nice of you to offer.” He grumbled

I winked at Harris, “Is it safe to feed you?”

Tass quipped, “It’s never safe to feed him, Azjah, don’t matter if it’s after midnight or not.”

Harris continued to grumble, “Stick doesn’t even feed me. I have to scavenge for my own food.”

I laughed merrily as Tass told him Stick was a smart woman. Harris meanwhile continued to stuff peanuts into his mouth. “Nutritious scavenging too Harris.”

He gave me a smart grin, “I'm in training. I have Anubis to punch in the throat in 4 days.”

Hubie returned with the drink order Markus had taken, and set them in front of both Kyndra and Tasslehofl. I gave Harris a smile, “well, I trust you will succeed Harris.” The last thing I wanted was for the Slaver to win the Opal away from Harris.

Kyndra thanked me for the drink, and proceeded to smile at Tass, agreeing to duel if she could find a suitable partner.

I chuckled, ‘Kyndra, I think you have one sitting here.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

As we were getting comfortable, General Xenograg, or Xenograg Bey as his new title has been conferred arrived at the Arena. He walked in, paused and looked around as he descended the stairs into the main room. He gave us a smile and headed in our direction, until he heard Djinx call a ring for a woman wearing the white robes of the Temple of Divine Light.

He turned to look intently at the young woman, who had lowered her hood as she stepped into the ring. She had long, auburn hair, and startling aqua eyes, but there was no warmth in her expression as she met Xenograg’s glance and nodded once. Xenograg spoke up to Djinx, informing him that the young woman’s name was Alia Anor rather than simply Alia. Then he sighed softly and sat down with us.

I must have given him a surprised look, and asked him if he knew the young woman. He nodded, “oh, yes, I raised her. She is Alais’ daughter.”

This came as surprising news, I had not seen Alais with the auburn haired girl, nor with Xenograg in the past. When I commented, his face showed a sadness that had not been present when he’d arrived. “Alas, she has joined the Temple of Divine Light.” His words held a bitter sadness that I did not understand.

“So there is dissention over her choice?” I did not wish to probe where he did not wish to talk, but his sadness was palpable.

He nodded, “against both our wishes.”

“Has she changed so much since joining the Temple?” It seemed to me odd since the Temple was well known around RhyDin to be doing many good works. They had the hospice to care for the dying, they were opening an orphanage, they had plans for a homeless shelter, and there were even rumors of a soup kitchen for the hungry. To all visible purposes, the Temple was doing fine work within RhyDin.

Xenograg continued softly, “There was already dissention between mother and daughter, and some with me. We have not spoken in months. When we did, she seemed colder, and more hostile than ever.”

I swirled the scotch and watched the woman in the ring, who kept glancing out at Xenograg between rounds with her dueling partner. “I’m sorry to hear that. The Temple workers seem to do such good works.” It seemed at odds that they would do such fine public work, and yet estrange themselves from friends and family with such open hostility as could be felt radiating from the woman.

Xenograg watched her a moment, “I question the Temple’s motives.”

That surprised me further, “have they done anything to cause your queries?”

Xenograg moved into Kyndra’s vacated seat in order to speak quietly, “It is the Temple’s leadership.

I listened quietly, “I have not seen nor heard from the leadership, only the workers seem to be around town.”

He nodded slightly, “The leadership is very secretive. This is nothing new for a cult, but one leader is known.”

There was something foreboding in the way he said that one leader was known. Then he said one word, “Lily”.

That was a name I’d heard from Xenograg and his wife before. My voice dropped further, “Lily is the daughter of the one we spoke of before? The demoness?”

He nodded again, “Yes, that fact is the root of all doubt concerning the Temple.”

It does seem improbably that good could come from such a past as that child has had, but their actions for the moment seem to be speaking louder than words. I voiced that thought to the General.

He told me then that they had tried to redeem Lily, but had failed. She apparently escaped, and was unrepentant, but he did not go into any details about that.

The white robed woman gave us both a cold look and stepped closer to the edge of her ring as Xenograg continued, “Many in the Temple are ignorant of this, and believe their genuine deeds are for a noble cause. Alia Anor among them.” His eyes slid to the ring she occupied.

“So you think they are ignorant of the ulterior motives?” His view of the Temple cast a shadow over what I had thought of them up to that point.

“I am certain of it.” His conviction was absolute in tone of voice and the expression on his face.

The woman gave him a cold, emotionless look before once more focusing on her partner in the ring and Xeno sighed, giving me a care-worn look. The exchange was not one of a child to her foster parent, nor for an old family friend.

“There was always some hostility between us during her childhood. My opposition to the Temple was the last straw. She hates me.” His look was pained, he truly cared about the woman, and she in no way seemed to recognize nor want his care.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Klinton arrived and Lucien whispered to me as he strolled casually into the Arena. I gave him a warm smile and asked him if he would be joining Xenograg and I at our table, then turned to Xenograg, “Hate? That seems a strong emotion for such a small thing.”

Xenograg greeted Klinton as he grabbed a bottle of water and sat down with us. “Good evening Xeno. Are you enjoying your leave from the Palazzo?” His smile was teasing, but he had hit a bit too close to home with that one. I was feeling like a prisoner in my own home, and not knowing the reason for it chafed.

“My parole you mean?” I asked him before once more focusing on Xenograg.

He gave me a winning smile, “I guess you could call it that.”

Xenograg continued, “My parenting has been a long road of many mistakes. My own eldest son hates me indeed. I did a poor job with Alia Anor and her brother. I have done better with my second family with Amaltea.” He seemed deeply hurt by what he considered mistakes, but certainly every parent makes mistakes.

“I have not met her brother either, but while she may not appreciate your objection to the Temple, can she truly hate you?” I cannot imagine that any child could hate someone who had raised them and been there to help guide them into adulthood. Not the way this woman clearly despised Xenograg.

I gave Klinton a quick look, “when will house arrest be ending?” It was worth a try to get him to tell me what the devil was going on, as he’d keep the information very close to his vest up to this point.

Xeno told me that the twins had felt abandoned by their mother, and that he was less than a constant presence, but if they felt that way, it seemed to me their mother should be the one they were angry with, and not the one who was present for them.

Klinton gave me an enigmatic smile, “you know that I do not control that, I only understand their concern.”

When I pushed, he told me this was neither the time nor the place to discuss it. I hate secrets. Truly I do.

I sipped the scotch a moment before asking Xeno if his filling in for Alais should not have been appreciated, and he told me that they had been left alone too much. For me, this seemed excessive, and yet there was no denying the young woman’s overt hostility.

In that moment, she turned once again toward Xenograg and I. Something dark flickered in those striking aqua eyes as I said to Xenograg, “But if their mother could not be there, it should have meant something that you at least tried.”

Xenograg’s gaze lingered on the woman a moment longer, “That is a rational position. Children do not think rathionally when young, only feel.”

I nodded, that was my point, “Yes, it is a rational position, and she’s a rational adult, is she not?” She’d grown up, surely now that she was no longer a child she could see the attempt for what it was, a caring attempt to be there for them as much as possible.

He shook his head, “too late to change her heart, perhaps.”

I frowned, “that would be a shame Xenograg.”

“Oh, it is,” came his softly spoken reply.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Klinton glanced toward a newcomer to the Arena. I had never seen him here before, but Klinton seemed to recognize him. The man muttered softly as he passed us and headed for the bar.

“Someone you know?” I asked Klinton quietly

“I suppose you could say that,” came his slightly hostile reply. It was a tone of voice that I had seldom heard from him, and my senses went on aleter.

The match with Xenograg’s foster daughter ended, and she invoked the White Lady, and a small dagger glimmered in her hand. It was an elven made dagger, swept blade and beautiful hilt. I watched her a moment before asking Xenograg what the woman’s mother thought and said about all of this hostility from the young woman.

Artemus spoke up to Xeno as Alia Anor dedicated the blood shed to the White Lady, “I have never heard of a holy religion that made up offers of blood, since blood magic is viewed as evil.”

Xeno glanced at Artemus, “A fair point, Artemus, and good evening.” Then he turned back to me, “Alais and I are in agreement. We both feel for Alia Anor, but her brother is not like this.”

I pondered that a moment, “so this seems to be her viewpoint alone, and yet it troubles you.”

At that point, the white robed woman spoke up, “Liberator, is it your habit to discuss such family issues with strangers?”

Her agitation was quite evident, and her fingers curled and uncurled around the hilt of the dagger.

The Arena was getting busy, and Tera Destre breezed in the door with cheerful greetings for everyone. Xenograg seemed lost in a dark reverie that needed some lightening, and so I asked him if he was settling into his new holdings in the Steppes. The scotch was slowly being consumed, and I motioned for Markus to bring the bottle to our table.

The new comer rose and headed for our table as Xenograg said “I am the proud owner of a huge hole in the ground.”

I glanced up at Berrin, “Joining us?” Since it was clear that Klinton knew him, I thought to extend the invitation despite never having seen the man previously.

Klinton’s answer was swift and tight, “No, Azjah, he won’t be joining us.”

Tasslehofl raised a brow at the same time I did.

Tera glanced at me, and Tasslehofl broke the unpleasant silence by expanding the table for Kyndra and himself and Tera to join us. It was then that I noticed the white robed woman standing behind Xenograg.

Xeno hadn’t seen her as he smiled at me, “Holding court Azjah?”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

“No Xenograg, just a quiet night out, or so I thought.” Came my reply, but the look in the auburn haired woman’s eyes was my sole focus at that instant.

Several people were watching the woman as she stood there, dagger in hand as Xeno smiled, “then I must be.”

In that moment, the dagger slammed down over Xenograg’s shoulder to be embedded with enough force to keep the dagger upright in the wood very near to where his hand had just been.

I saw Klinton speaking to the newcomer, but as the dagger slammed down, reflexively I reached for the hidden shoulder holster, and Xenograg leaped off the couch in surprise, his hand reflexively going to the sword hilt at his hip. “Damn it, girl!”

Their exchange was cold and unfriendly. She was demanding that Xenograg use the dagger to cut the ties he felt he had to her. “My family is the Temple, not that travesty you remember.’

Her action had caused a chain reaction among some of the other patron, and Tera came up with daggers in each hand, her beer bottle having been dropped to the floor and presently forgotten.

Xeno’s voice raised slightly, “Do not EVER do that again!”

It was then that I noticed Klinton in a heated discussion with Berrin, but the immediate danger was here with Xeno and Alia Anor. Xeno was trying to get his anger under control as he stared at his foster daughter.

Her voice was low and without any trace of emotion, “Do not discuss old history. I have a new life, and I would appreciate living it unencumbered by your past.”

Lord Momus remained unmoving, but he looked at Alia Anor, “if it was not for your history, you wouldn’t be here now, think on that a moment.”

Xenograg slowed his breathing, “You cannot undo our history, Alia Anor.”

She turned slowly toward the old dragon, “My history no longer matters, nor exists.” Then she turned back to Xenograg, “Cut the ties Liberator. Come, live up to your reputation and come to the Temple.” With her last words, she grew cajoling, as though seeking to entice him into the Temple itself.

He stood still, with his hand on the hilt of the blade, “painful or not, I will not give it up.”

She remained unmoving, “living in the past will not help you.”

Xeno was calmness itself, “you are who you are.”

Tasslehofl stated that it was the Temple that would not cut the ties, claiming that the Temple still held something belonging to Xeno, and reminded her that it was she who called him Liberator when he wanted no such title or claim.

She focused solely on Xenograg, “embrace the future Liberator, you gave us that future.”

Xenograg let out a long sigh as Tera moved closer to Xenograg’s back. “I will not do what you ask of me, either of them. I love you, though you break my heart.”

She started to continue, but stopped cold at his words, “Love? LOVE??? You do not know the meaning of the word.” She reached for the dagger where it swayed in the table top. “We are not connected Liberator. We do not touch at any point.” She then hurled the dagger into the floor at Xenograg’s feet. “I cut the ties since you will not!” She then pulled her hood up and turned toward the door, as though closing a door and no plans to look back.

Xenograg remained watchful, but no longer gripping the hilt of the sword, “that will not work, girl. Go run and hide, if you must. I will always be here.”

She remained with her back to us, “I am not the one hiding. You are the one avoiding the inevitable.” She then folded both hands into her robes and walked up the stairs.

Xeno’s voice was no longer angry, but he sounded worn out, “I avoid the future, you avoid the past. What a pair are we.”

Tera’s gasp was audible in the nearly silent Arena as Artemus asked the woman “Why is it that the Temple wants Xenograg to come and collect his prized sword… alone.”

The white robed woman did not pause, and did not respond, she simply paused at the door, “My past began but months ago. Before that, there is nothing. Goodbye.”

Xeno’s farewell was heartfelt, “take care, my dear.” But I doubt the young woman even heard him.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Xenograg squatted down where he stood, his head hanging as he stared at the dagger. He did not touch it, simply remained there, unmoving, staring at the fine elven dagger.

I reached out gently and touched his shoulder, “she is a bitter young woman.”

Tera fluidly sheathed the twin daggers into her boots and picked up the sheathed sword she had dropped earlier, then looked at Xeno, “Want me to get that for ya Darlin’?”

“No. Do not touch it.” His eyes held tears as he looked up at me.

She nodded slowly, “I won’t then. Don’t you worry about that.”

Xenograg’s command had been precisely that, and I pursed my lips at his expression. “You truly care about her, and she rejects it. That has to pain you.” I simply didn’t know what else to say. The rejection of someone you considered a part of family or a child you’ve raised must be a pain that I cannot relate to, and cannot find the words to console.

Xenograg apologized to Tera for snapping at her, and she smiled at him warmly. “It’s okay. I don’t know for sure what is going on here, but from what I heard, you gotta be hurting inside. I ain’t taking nothing personally.”

I glanced at the dagger, and then at Xeno, “You worry that it is tainted?”

He looked at it again, then called for Hubie, “with emotion if nothing else.” Hubie brought Xenograg a towel, and then gently picked up the dagger and wrapped it in the towel before standing. He looked at Hubie and requested a double brandy. It was an unusual order from the man who usually had tea or watered wine.

He took a seat on the couch again, landing heavily on the cushions. I gave him a sympathetic look, “She will come to rue this time in her life Xenograg.” Such rejection of family and people who love one will come back to haunt her. I only hope for Xenograg that time comes sooner rather than later.

His whispered words were barely audible, “Mother, help me….” He closed his eyes and began the breathing exercises associated with meditation, and I stepped back to give him space. It was then that I caught sight of the newcomer Berrin.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Berrin and Klinton had left us before the altercation began between Xenograg and Alia Anor. But now Berrin sat at the bar watching me, and when he caught my eye, motioned for me to come join him.

Klinton was in the ring with Tasslehofl, and Xenograg was deeply into his meditation, so I excused myself from Kyndra and Tera to see what the man wanted.

Klinton glanced from his ring to see me approaching Berrin, and his scowl grew dark as he shook his head toward Berrin. He did not wish for me to speak to the man, but whatever was between these two needed to be out in the open.

I heard Tasslehofl tell Klinton to pay attention to the duel, as I was quite capable of taking care of myself, and besides, Lucien was an eye blink away should I have need of him.

Berrin moved into a deeply shadowed spot to wait for me. I paused, “you wanted to speak to me?”

His low whispers would not carry far, but both Lucien and I heard him quite clearly. “I feel you must be aware of your husband’s actions of recent….” He began.

I frowned as I listened, and Klinton’s color heightened as he could no longer hear the conversation.

I was instantly irritated. Here was a man whom I had never met before making insinuations that Klinton was doing something I should be told about. But, who was this guy, and why was he so concerned about my knowing? “and you think this means….?” I left the question hanging to see what he would say next.

“I have seen him being rather ‘playful’ so to speak with other women.” He looked me levelly in the eyes as he said it, as though trying to gauge my response.

I straightened to my full height, “You assume things better not assumed.” My voice was a low hiss, as I did not wish to make a scene in the Arena. Klinton was always a flirt, but I believe since our marriage that there is nothing more to it than his personality.

Berrin continued, “I would just assume that a man with a woman of your stature and beauty would have amore respectful man.”

Klinton finished his duel with Tass and came striding purposefully toward Berrin and I.

Fury crossed my features as I struggled to maintain my temper. “What is it to you sir?” Why was he trying to insinuate himself into my life?

Klinton stepped between us, pushing Berrin back somewhat, but Berrin had braced for it, as though expecting worse from Klinton. My husband turned toward me, “Azjah, pay no attention to what he is telling you. He knows nothing.”

Berrin continued, tempting fate, “I’m not sure he’s entirely loyal to you.”

I glanced between Klinton and Berrin as Berrin continued softly, “seems a bit defensive, doesn’t he?”

“What game are you playing sir?” I watched Klinton’s anger rise, and needles of doubt prickled at me.

“I speak only from my observations of this man.” Berrin gave Klinton an assessing look that said he clearly found him lacking.

I shook my head, “Your observations are flawed, you do not know either of us.” Klinton’s gaze was locked with my own, his jaw was set so hard, it’s amazing he wasn’t breaking his teeth. I reached for his arm, “Shall we re-join our friends?”

Berrin continued to push his luck, “I know of your reputation, and I know infidelity when I see it.”

I grew cold in that moment, “Is it my fidelity you question, or his?”

Tasslehofl approached in that instant, carrying twin glasses of scotch, he put one glass into Klinton’s hand, telling him to drink up. Then, he grinned at me and simply said ‘mine’.

Berrin laughed, “I would not presume to speak of a woman of your stature that way.”

Tass smiled dangerously at Berrin, “smart man” and then Tass did the unthinkable, and pulled me to him for a kiss right there in front of Klinton and the whole arena. He pulled back from the kiss and handed me a glass of scotch.

Klinton looked at me, then glared at Tass and subsequently downed his scotch. I smiled at Tass, “troublemaker.”

Tass looked at Klinton with a wicked smile, “I’ll give you one too if you ain’t careful.”

I turned to look at Berrin, “I think we’ve heard enough.”

Klinton turned to Berrin, and each word was enunciated with the utmost clarity, “I have told you to mind your own business Berrin. You do not know what you speak of.”

Berrin shook his head, “You are inappropriate for this woman. You will never earn the respect that you INHERITED by marrying her.”

Tass turned once more toward Berrin, “and Sir, you’ll never earn the respect of the married woman you are pursuing, so I guess it’s even.”

I linked arms with both Klinton and Tass, “You have said more than enough sir,” as I turned to go back to our table.

Tass hooked an arm around Klinton and pulled, “come, the couch is more comfortable than standing here talking to a brick wall.”

Klinton just shook his head, “Man, I need a drink.”

Tass looked at him with a smirk, “Man, I just gave you one, ain’t my fault you can’t appreciate good scotch!”

As we reseated ourselves amongst friends, Berrin tried again to bait me, “Perhaps Kyndra would like to speak of Klinton’s infidelity?”

Tass shot him a glare, “perhaps, but that would be between them, now wouldn’t it?”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Kyndra looked up hearing her name as we all settled back onto the sofa. Klinton chuckled, “Yes, perhaps Kyndra would like to speak of it.”

Tass grinned at Kyndra, “so, tell me of Klint’s infidelity, Kyn.”

Klinton spoke loudly, “Kyndra, do you have any reason to believe that I have ever cheated on Azjah?”

Xenograg looked at Klinton as if he were mad. He’d been rudely drawn out of his meditation by our return to the couch.

I gave Xenograg an apologetic smile, “our apologies.” And then turned to Tass, “that was quite a kiss.”

He winked, “nah, just a little peck, you’re married, can’t pull out all the stops on you, now can I?”

I swirled the scotch and chuckled, “It would be in bad taste.”

He grinned lasciviously, “well, it tasted good, but that’s beside the point.”

Kyndra gave us all a bewildered look. “what infidelity?”

Tera chimed in, “If there was infidelity, I would know about it, and there ain’t been none!”

Tass gave Kyndra a grin, and shrugged, “I’ve no idea, that’s why I was askin….some loonie was saying you’d know bout Klint’s infidelity.”

She looked at Klinton, “Why should I have any reason to believe that?”

Tass snickered, “figured I’d ask the source to prove the loonie a loonie.”

I curled up beside Klinton, “how about ignoring the loonie. He’s just trying to cause trouble.” But, those annoying prickles continued. What if there was something to Berrin’s words?

Berrin gave us all a derisive shake of his head, “so, apparently everyone is afraid to speak against, ‘royalty’ no matter how obviously unethical they are?”

I closed my eyes tightly. Just what did this man want with us that he was going to so much trouble to defame my husband? Who had put him up to this?

Kyndra gave him an odd look, “Klinton has always been a gentleman…”

Klinton grinned at me, “We should keep Kyndra around.”

Tass gave him a grin, “she just doesn’t know you that well Klinton. You know you were eyeing me the other night.”

While we were all making light of Berrin’s charges, a little voice began to ask, ‘what if’.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Kyndra grinned at Klinton, “well, I do hope you two want to keep me around.”

I chuckled, “Kyndra, he’s a terrible flirt, and I think Klinton’s learning things from Tass.” Both men were notorious flirts, and I wanted to believe it was only that.

Xenograg smiled at Tass, “nor am I going to kiss Azjah.”

Tass was at his most incorrigible, “it’ll do ya a world of good, that.”

I laughed hearing him, “I think it would be risky. Xenograg’s wife is pretty talented with a sword.” Then I saw Kaja. It has been eons since we’d seen the lovely lass, and we all encouraged her to join us. It was time for some lighthearted fun. We had all had enough seriousness.

Xenograg gave Tass a solemn look, “But I have Azjah’s Complaint, a touchy spouse.” But then he winked toward Klinton and broke into a smile.

Kaja smiled and waved, “’ey girl, e’erythin’ aiight o’er theah?”

Tass offered to kiss Amaltea for him, but demurred saying, “well, no, she wouldn’t use a sword with me, maybe a house.”

Kyndra agreed that both Tass and Klint were terrible flirts, but when she stated that no one was safe from the flirting when they were around, Xenograg spoke up announcing that he was safe.

Tass snorted as Xeno announced he was immune to flirting, stating that it was one of the advantages of being such a dour soul. “You’re not that safe. I just don’t wanna kiss you.” Tass reproved.

I tried to make light of things, telling Kyndra how much Klinton flirted with Kaja as Kaja joined our table. The beautiful Kaja settled down with a smile and I asked if everyone knew her. Kyndra had not officially been introduced, and so we remedied that situation and settled in for some good natured teasing.

Kyndra suggested we return to Brig’s tower since he’d invited us both back, and I chuckled, “Brig is a bit touchy about my coveting his tower.

As Kaja settled onto the chair at my right, she blew Klinton a kiss, and he melted into a puddle on the floor before crawling into both Kaja’s and my lap. Hubie brought him a drink and I had to inquire whether he was comfortable or not given his current prone position across both Kaja and myself.

Klinton winked at Tass, “Tass my boy, this is the life!”

Tass grinned, “Nah it ain’t, yer missing the drink.”

Kaja caught us up on her extended absence from RhyDin, telling us about the redecorating project at her new residence in Dockside.

We sat and teased one another for some time, and the sadness in Xenograg’s eyes eased a little.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Harris returned as we were sinking into the depths of silliness, “Did I miss all the fun?” he asked as he popped a peanut into his mouth and munched.

Klinton gave Harris a grin, “Yeah, I’d say ya did.”

“Oooooh, drama! What’d I miss? Someone fill me in!” He was like a little boy in a candy store. “Did Anubis drop by and hit someone over the head with something??”

Tass gave him a grin, “me, dueling Harris. And YOU missed it.”

Klinton rose slowly, “Azjah, my beautful bride, I do believe it's time for me to take Kyndra home.”

Kyndra was still looking at Tass and then Klinton, and back, “It was pecker, not p*nis.”

Harris blinked at Kyndra.

Klinton then scooped up the very embarrassed Kyndra admonishing me to stay out late as he prepared to carry Kyndra off.

Tass looked at Klinton, and then at me, frowned, and I announced to Tass that it looked as though he was stuck with me. He smiled, “that’s a dangerous thing with the mood I’m in.”

I smiled sweetly, “you have no idea.”

Harris goggled a bit, “crap! Looks like I’m gonna have to hose Tass down tonight. Again!”

Klinton put Kyndra down and gave her a kiss similar to the one Tass had given me earlier, and then gave Kaja a hug as Tass wrapped his arms around me.

Harris muttered more to himself than the rest of us, “I wish I had my camera. It’s not all the time I’m in on the ground floor of an orgy.” He continued to pat down his pockets, “hmm, camera, camera, camera.”

I flashed Harris a grin, “see what you missed?”

Klinton offered me his arm as Harris continued to mutter, “nobody ever invites me to anything anymore. Elitist bastards, all of ya!” He raised his fist and shook it at us.

I glanced up at Tass, “letting me go?”

He looked down at me in surprise, “I thought you were mine tonight.”

I bid Kaja good night as she left before looking back up at tass, “well, Klinton’s let Kyndra go, so I figured you might let me go?”

Tass frowned, mulling over the situation as Kyndra approached, “I know she’s beautiful, but you’ll have to settle for me.”

He snorted, “sette?” With that he let me go, and Klinton and I headed for the stairs.

Harris chimed in, “Tass? Settle? He’s lucky he gets to settle for anything at his age.”

Tass smirked back at Harris, “Harris, even at my age, I get more ‘settling’ than you do.”

Harris grumbled, “of course you do. I’m married!”

“That’s my point.” Tass tossed at him.

With that, we called it a night.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

As I walked through the portal, Brigath shot me a jaunty grin and waved. I smiled, and returned his smile, "Hey there handsome." He took a sip of his drink, which appeared to be his favored Oban scotch.

As I settled onto the chaise near the rings, and greeted Kyndra, Brig asked how the Trivia night had gone. He'd come and dueled for the night, and had generously donated his clue to his dueling partner since he is ineligible to receive clues for the purposes of the contest that Klinton and I are hosting. I sipped the scotch before answering him, " It went very well Brig. That Oriental elf won this month's flag, so we have on with Lord Momus, and one with Joku."

We chatted a bit more about the challenge and the gift of the Staff of Enchantment to the winner of our Geographical Trivia contest, and I had to confess that while I enjoy doing it, I am also learning from the preparation of each month's location. Then kicking off the stilettos, I prepared to spend a relaxing evening on the Isle.

Well, I was going to relax until Brig began seeking a dueling partner. Just as I was about to see if he was issuing an invitation, I was summoned to another location in RhyDin. It seemed another of my charitable works was holding a meeting that required my presence. Alas, I would not have the pleasure of meeting Brig in the ring this night.

After the meeting in RhyDin, I returned to the Isle to find Klinton there. What a pleasant surprise! He was talking to Kyndra, and Topaz was in uniform waiting for someone to enter her rings. I heard Klinton ask Kyndra "so, what did Azjah have to say?"

She was dressed up, and smiled at Klinton saying "It is so good to see you! I really didn't have time to talk with her, I was too busy calling." They were seated together at a table near the rings as Klinton asked her if there was any big occasion for her being so dressed up.

Before I could cross the distance to where Klinton and Kyndra sat, I was accosted once again by Berrin, who moved instantly upon seeing me to cut off my path toward Klinton. I paused. I did not wish be be rude, but the man has something against Klinton, and has been doing his level best to convince me that Klinton is unfaithful.

Klinton's expression fell as he saw Berrin talking to me yet again.

Kyndra looked up and smiled, “good evening Azjah, your wonderful husband was keeping me company.” I glanced at her, then back at Berrin. Lucien was behind me in the blink of an eye, but Berrin didn’t take a hint. So I stepped around him as I told Kyndra, “He is very good at that Kyndra, and fine company to boot.” I needed to keep the prickling doubts Berrin had initiated to myself.

Klinton chuckled, “Please ladies, continue. Topaz? Any things you’d like to add about my wonderfulness?”

Kyndra agreed as Topaz said, “Oh no, you wouldn’t fit through the portal when you’re ready to leave if I did.” As she gave him a grin.

Berrin’s remarks were not even vaguely masked as he let everyone on the Isle know his views on my husband once again. “Azjah, this man is not for you. He is what I would call a player. In five minutes, he would be trying to take Kyndra home!”

I tried to ignore him, truly I did, but having seen him with Kyndra when I entered through the portal caused a moment’s pang of doubt.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Topaz gave Klinton a smile, “anyway, I find the other two more interesting just now.” She was watching Berrin and Lucien. Her attention shifting from one to the other and back again.

I heard Klinton sigh as he said to Kyndra, “How long will we have to listen to this absurdity?

Kyndra gave Berrin a brief glance, “He already tried, just the other night, and, Tass wanted to take Azjah home.”

I winced a bit at that, yes, we had been teasing, but somehow, Berrin wasn’t understanding that things are all talk and no action. We are perfectly happy, I know we are.

Lucien’s snarl echoed across the beach as Berrin continued to push the issue.

I looked hard at Berrin, “Berrin, please cease. My husband is a man of honour.”

Topaz was joining in the teasing, “Tass would take every girl home, and then be at a loss as to what to do with any of them.” She grinned, but Berrin pointed at her, as he said to me, “you see there? She has confirmed my accusations.”

Topaz fluttered her sheer, sparkly wings, “I ain’t confirming nothing on such short acquaintance.” She was trying to lighten Berrin up, but Berrin was intent upon proving his point and pushed onward. “but you admit that Klinton is clearly attracted to this other woman.” As Berrin motioned toward Kyndra.

Topaz laughed, “Nawwww, Klinton’s just spreading self confidence around.”

Klinton looked at Topaz, Kyndra, and me before saying, “she’s beautiful, who wouldn’t be attracted to her? But, I am a married man.”

That admission would not help given Berrin’s accusations.

Topaz laughed, “complimentes and googly eyes tend to do that to women. Doesn’t mean we all gonna swoon over them. He’s married, not dead!”

I headed for Klinton and Kyndra’s table again, “precisely Topaz.” I have always said it is ok to look, just no touching, and I trust Klinton not to touch. I do. I paused and leaned over to place a kiss on Klinton’s cheek.

“Honor? That man does not know the meaning of the word,” Berrin fairly spat.

Lucien’s snarl deepened as Topaz made an effort to divert Berrin, “Berrin, it was Berrin, wasn’t it? Hi, my name’s Topaz. May I get you a drink? Ale perhaps, or scotch?”

Berrin looked at Topaz, “Yes, that’s correct, but no, I’m fine, thank you.” He then looked at me, “How can you be so blind?”

I had turned my back on Berrin, and was in the middle of telling Kyndra how lovely she looked, but Berrin’s words bit deeply.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Klinton was ignoring Berrin as he told me that Kyndra was about to tell him what the big occasion was for her being so dressed up tonight, but at that instant, Lucien solidified into the visible spectrum right in front of Berrin.

Berrin jumped back as Lucien abruptly appeared towering above him. Lucien in anger is a formidable apparition. His scowl is enough to make most souls cringe. Black eyes glittered as he held Berrin’s attention riveted to his next words. “you would do well to watch your tongue, unless you would like to be relieved of it.”

Topaz sent an admiring glance at Lucien, but somehow I doubt the fairy would be thrilled to know just what Lucien is. She looked back at me, “wow Azjah, where did you find him? No wings, so he can’t be a fairy, what is he?”

Berrin sighed, “I only speak the truth.” His defense would never work with Lucien, and all he was doing was digging himself deeper.

I glanced quickly at Topaz, “He and his brother I found on a small agrarian planet about to be burned at the stake.”

She gave me a surprised look, “for using fae magics?”

Lucien’s voice was commanding velvet as he spoke to Berrin, “You speak seditious lies. I will remove your tongue if you do not desist.”

Kyndra was trying to keep our attention off Berrin as she smiled and told us that she was dressed up in the hopes that a certain dragon would stop in tonight. She had eyes for Lord Momus. But then she kindly added, “and I must say, you look as stunning as ever Azjah.”

I thanked her, explaining that I had been at another function in RhyDin tonight, and that accounted for my being more dressed up than usual.

Berrin was still held by Lucien’s penetrating gaze as he asked Lucien, “are you certain they are lies?” It was a challenge, but Lucien was looking deeper, seeking the reason for Berrin’s ongoing attacks on Klinton’s character. “Are you with Klinton every moment?”

I tried to explain to Topaz just what Lucien and Gabriel are, but most cannot tell the difference between Carpathians and vampires. Which, is understandable to some extent since vampires are Carpathian’s gone bad. They’ve given up their souls by killing during feeding. Taking that ‘high’ associated with death and terror.

Kyndra finally looked at Berrin, “Kinton’s a gentleman, has been a gentleman, and Azjah is my friend. I would never allow anything to harm that.”

Topaz gave Lucien a warm smile and murmured, “a pleasure to be sure.”

Lucien was not paying attention, he growled at Berrin, “I do not need to be with them every moment.” What Berrin had no way of knowing is that the tie between Gabriel, Lucien and I means that there is a connection between us at all times, and the things Gabriel and Lucien hear are unlimited. There are very few secrets.

A pang of frustration hit me as I realized that there was one secret. I was being kept out of the reason for the increased security while Klinton was privy to the reasons.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”