Custody Battles

Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Anne
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Anne »

Klinton stepped to the meeting room, giving a nod to Anne, picking up the phone to speak to her through the glass between them. Anne reached for her phone and smiled shakily.

“Evening Klinton.”

He smiled back. “Hey there Anne. I wanted to discuss some issues with you.” Klinton paused a moment. “Vincent and I spoke the other night.”

The convicts smile dropped completely. “What did he say? What does that back-stabbing low-life want?”

Klinton sighed softly. He didn't want this to turn into a 'whose side are you on anyway' argument. He'd had enough of those with Azjah. “He wanted me to give you some terms. If you agree to them, he'll drop the custody case.”

“What terms.” Anne replied flatly.

“He wants to be designated the father on the actual birth certificates. He wants to be granted visitaion rights, off grounds, and unsupervised. And he wants to be referred to as their father, even by them.”

In response to each question, in order, Anne answered. “No. He already had those rights. And definitely not.” Taking a deep breath she elaborated. “First of all, he isn't their birth father nor has he seen enough of them to be considered as such. Second, I've never objected to him visiting the kids. Thirdly, Caleb is there father. I've engrained that into them and I will not go back and what I've taught.”

Klinton nodded. “Okay. I will let Vincent know.”

Quickly and decisively Anne uttered a resounding “No.” “I Will. He needs to hear this from me, and I want some answers. He's backstabbed me and I won't settle for it.”

The man on the other side of the glass nodded again, not wanting to get into this here, now, with Anne as well as Azjah. “Alright. I'll let you talk to him.”

“Azjah may com...”

“Klinton?”

He looked up. “Yes?”

“You are just a messenger right?”

He sighed quietly. “Yes. I am just a messenger. I do see his point of view, I suppose, but I will stand by whatever decision you make. I do not want anything that will take these kids from you.”

“Well, thank you for your support. I'm sure he thinks he's doing the right thing but ...” She pursed her lips to keep from saying something she'd regret.

Klinton nodded. “I do not think it is the right thing. I just understand why he wants the kids....I do NOT think he has a right to them though.” Anne admitted that there was always two sides and thanked him for coming. “You are welcome. Azjah may come to speak about this as well. She's not to pleased with me. I have been staying at the Outback.” Anne was not pleased that her situation had created this rift between two of her friends.

“Perhaps it is best if I don't see either of you for a while then? And decline the use of Azjah’s lawyers?”

“No no no...That will work itself out. It always does. Azjah and I are magnetic...we push and pull, but, we always end up back together. Use her lawyers, they are the best. Azjah and I will work it out. I think the best step is for me to stay away from Vincent.”

Anne replied crisply. “If he gains custody, I want you as close to him as you can get.”

Once Anne was back in her cell it didn’t take long for Azjah’s laywers to come down and explain to her the consequences of letting into Vincent’s demands. She assured them there was no chance of that happening. It was time to see Vincent once more, and find out what his plans were.
Anne Ellis Feren
Anne
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Anne »

Anne paced back and forth in her cell. She had requested Vincent to come, and they had a rather interesting, even civil, discussion. They began with the demands he had made…

“I'll drop my case, if a couple of conditions are met. And given your current situation, I think it's in your best interest. One, I am listed as the father on the birth certificate. Two, I am referred to as their father. Three, we agree on a joint custody.”

“I thought you wanted just to be able to visit them off grounds without supervision, not joint custody.”

“I could continue my case and win full custody if that's what you'd like to see. But I'd like to avoid that if possible.”

She recalled her response. What were his grounds for the title of father? Why should he have that claim?

“Having cared and looked after them in loco parentis while you were off gallivanting around. Legally, I have grounds.”

Gallivanting. Yes that was the word he had used. While she was being hunted and threatened by Black, a man who was a serious danger to her children, she had asked Vincent to take them to Algol Siento. A haven where they could not be reached. Gallivanting indeed. Then the issue of Rigel was brought up. Anne thought that point to be null since Artemus and Shandren were watching them.

“… It's even more startling that as soon as you got them back, you shipped them off to someone else.”

“It wasn’t immediately after. I had a couple of months with them. I was requested to go to Rigel for a marriage ceremony, which turned out sour. As I recall, shortly after I was there my kids ended up joining me. I spent plenty of time with them while at Rigel. But that's beside the point. Once more, where are your grounds for being designated the father?”

It had been a mistake to mention the kids had ended up in Rigel. Vincent began to use that against her, but there were holes in his theories and explanations. Holes that could prove useful during the custody battle.

“The fact of the matter is, for two weeks at most, you cared for my children while I was abolishing a certain threat to them and myself. Secondly, you have not been in the same sort of contact with them as I have. Third, Caleb has spent plenty of time with them and they all ready consider him their father. You are, pardon, were a family friend. I had given you all the rights to seeing them that you request now. You had everything you are asking for in court besides the title of father. So what exactly are you trying to accomplish here?”

“Making sure my children are taken care of.”

“Once again we come back to the fact that you have no grounds to claim them as your children. Do you think two weeks with them makes you a parent?”

Vincent snorted looking disgusted and disgusting in Anne’s eyes. “I think I'm better qualified to care form them than a convicted murderer, an assassin, and an arms dealer.”

“A convicted murder because I killed a man threatening them and myself. An assassin no longer since he has made certain promises to myself. And an arms dealer, because it is her business, doesn't make her a criminal. They will be well taken care of, rest assured. And if caring for them is all your worried about then it seems reasonable to me that if you'd like you can come and check in on our family all you want.”

“Will they? I would hate to see something happen to them because you failed to see my wisdom.”

The debate continued until they reached her death sentence.

“I would like a chance to speak on your behalf at the sentencing, if you don't mind.”

“Really? So you can assure them I'm guilty and that the death penalty is none to harsh?”

“Actually, I was going to ask for leniency, given your circumstances.”

This was an interesting twist in the plot. Anne didn’t see why it wouldn’t be easier for a man in his situation just to let her be killed.

“You're assuming that just because I want custody of the kids, that I wish for bad things to happen to you.”

“Taking custody of my kids is worse then death.”

“"Joint" custody implies that both parents are around.”

Anne shook her head. “You aren't their father Vincent. I want them to have a father and mother that live together, love each other, and that are married.”

A rather unpleasant smirk crossed Vincent’s face. “I can fix that.” Their discussion soon came to a conclusion. “I just hope you know I'm doing this because I feel it's in the kids' best interests, not because I have any vendetta against you.”

“I can't let you do this. You know that. You can visit them all you like, but you cannot be their father. As for making a statement at my sentencing ... I'd rather you not. I will not be indebted to you for my life."

He sighed, looking rather human for once. “I had no intentions of making you feel indebted. I was simply going to speak on behalf of someone I consider a friend.”

“Am I your friend Vincent?”

“I should hope so, given all we've been through together.”

“This is really stretching that friendship Vincent.”

“I have my reasons. You'll understand when all this is over with.”

“Before you go, you must understand, that even if you win this battle, Caleb will always be their father. You cannot change that. And I don't think I'll ever understand why you've done this to me, to my family.” Anne looked rather pained as she finalized her thoughts. “Our friendship ends here.”

“I'm sorry to hear that.”

“As am I.”

So that was that. A friendship was in ruins, a life was on the line, and the custody of two children was up in the air.
Anne Ellis Feren
Vinny
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Bender of physics

Post by Vinny »

Right now, Vinny hated himself. Walking back from his meeting with Anne, he felt so disgusted that he didn't even head upstairs to the penthouse once he got back to the hotel. Instead, he went down to the subbasements and sat down. He didn't say anything for over an hour before he finally looked up. "Mycroft? You there?"

The computer spoke. "Always am boss. What's got you so glum tonight?"

"This business with Anne and the kids is working out just like I've been planning it to. So why do I feel like so bad about it?"

"Because you've ruined a good friendship, caused half of Rhydin to get split on this issue, have probably caused the other parties involved to consider outright killing you." If anything, Mycroft was direct and to the point. Something about being a computer left him without much of a sarcastic streak.

"Yeah, yeah. I know, but at least tell me that my end result is still looking good. Run me through some projections."

Mycroft thought long and hard on this, even for a computer. "Well, I see several possibilites coming of this. First, it goes to trial and you get custody, which is what you didn't want to see happening. Probable result of this? Everyone hates your guts, with a 50% chance of Anne commiting suicide, Caleb and Azjah blaming you, and a good chance a whole bunch of people end up dead. If it goes to trial and they get custody, it'll work out fine."

"That's easy enough to fix. I just need to make sure that we don't go to trial. But Anne still needs to stay alive, preferably without going to prison. I was hoping she'd accept my offer to speak on her behalf, but now that she turned me down, I don't think there's much else I can do."

"Could always bribe the jury boss. Sounds crude, but money talks."

"If it comes to that, sure. Or more drastic measures could be done, but not without jeopardizing myself. What other options are out there?"

"Well, Anne gets sentanced to death and is executed. In that case, I think you'd consider this entire scheme a flop?"

"Most definately." Vinny sighed. If she died, it'd ruin everything he worked for and leave everything in shambles. "So what if Anne lives, gets off with a suspended sentance or just a slap on the wrist, and keeps custody of the kids?"

"That's best case scenario, boss. Everyone walks away happy, and if you're lucky, she might forgive you in a few years once she realizes what a devious little con artist you are."

"Somehow, I don't think she'll ever understand. I just hope she's able to go on and enjoy the rest of her life."
Who would have thought that becoming God would prove to be such a hollow victory? -Thanos of Titan
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

It had been far too long since Artemus had spoken or seen Anne. Sure, he had kept track of the course her proceedings had taken; watching the court room activities from a distance. After all, he wanted to keep as clear of the zoo as he could, and not appear to take any sides on the issue of her children.

While he was not overly fond of Vincent's actions so far, he could see where the man was coming from. However, he did like Azjah to an extent, but he frowned on her chosen occupation. Making her money off of other men and women's thirst for death and destruction. To the druid in him, Azjah was accountable for every life her weapons stole. Whether those people were innocent or not.

Dressed in a suit which he felt cost more than the material used to make it, he headed into the Rhydinian Municiple Building to begin the arduous task of filing a petition to be granted visitation rights to see Anne Ellis Xile. There was more involved to this act than he had originally anticipated. Specifically since this happened to be his third visit to the Municiple Building. To get visitation rights, he had had to present a birth cirtificate, which he did not have before. That adventure had been a headache. And of course, to have a birth certificate, he had to then purchase a photo ID.

"Why must this process be so complicated?"

Then they took his fingerprints to make sure he did not have a criminal record. Artemus was still unsure if that had been neccessary at all. But he didn't have any choice in these matters.

So it was that on this day he walked into the building that confused him, and those that did not distinctly understand its inner workings, to finalize the paper work required to visit Anne. One of the few friends he actually had. The proper papers had been sent to the Jail Keeper, the Judge, and the lawyers involved with her trial. The last bit was for Anner herself to give permission for him to be able to visit her and add his name to the list of people that were allowed to come and see her.
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Headmaster of Arcanum Academy
Proprietor of Dark Wolf and Leopard Jewelers.
Anne
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Anne »

The lawyers came to Anne and informed her about Artemus request. She was being sentenced that afternoon and this really wasn't the time. Yet again, what other time would there be? She replied that he was allowed a brief visit after her sentancing. Anne didn't want distractions, not now.
Anne Ellis Feren
Anne
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Death Sentance

Post by Anne »

"Anne Ellis Xile we hereby sentence you for the petty theft against Charles Wallace, Karen Alin, Rodigre Lanky, four incidents of trespassing, one charge of piracy, Grand theft of the Golden Sun, the Manslaughter of Eliza, and Murder of the First Degree of Shadem Black."

"The sentence is the Penalty of Death."

"The manor of which will be a hanging."

Anne immediately voiced her concern. "Your Honor, I have a specific
request as to the manor of my burial."

The judge raised an eyebrow. "Proceed."

Calmly she gave a folded piece of paper to the guard beside her, who walked up to the Hon. Judge Morgan and placed it in the mans outstretched hand. The hardened eyes scanned the pained scrawl that outlined her specific requests.

"This is quite a specific outline Mrs. Xile."

"Yes it is your Honor."

"You will be hanged April 1st at 09:00 hours. The burial will proceed at
sunset."
Anne Ellis Feren
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

I sat in the court room listening to the pronouncement of the Judge. Not a flicker of emotion allowed to cross my features as each charge was read, and the sentence announced.

We had lost. Despite the conditions, despite Black's attacks and history.

I glanced at the attorneys, and then at Lucien who stood at the corner of the room.

The whole thing had been a disaster, and my efforts to help Anne start a new life after her life of piracy had been to no avail. It seemed second chances were not allowed, and no consideration had been given to the changes she'd made to her life.

She'd given the Judge her requests for burial, and I rose to depart. There would be time to see Anne after they returned her to her holding cell. Next we'd have to face Vincent's obscene challenge for the children. There were things I needed to do.

I left the Court Room deep in thought as Lucien opened the Testarossa door for me.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”