beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Tracking Game

Post by Rhaine »

Rhaine just returned into the soft twilight of her hideout, when the null-terminal squealed. Vampiress quickly passed verification procedure and opened the holointerface. It was Elynne Althos, and she had news for her "little big boss" (as Keith and his sister called Rhaine).

"Rhaine, I have finished the stage one. Got the samples you have ordered... though one question, should this stuff actually work?"
"Of course, Lynnie," she smiled slightly. "The disease known as Alkaran dystrophy is seldom found, but this complex is a way to eliminate it"
"But... why have I not known about this remedy? "Henhead" does happen, and even in wealthy families which could afford treatment! At least I know of two bloodlines that could have used it."
"The samples are yours after I take a good look at them, Lynnie dear. I care little for all the marketing stuff you bother yourself with, it's YOUR job and YOUR specialization."

The box with couple dozen transparent capsules appeared in the tray of null-terminal. Good that damn humans didn't get their paws on entire pool of Psilon discovery. Rhaine pulled an armchair for herself and sat down. Thin pale mist streamed from her fingers and penetrated the capsules, one after another. She put aside several capsules which has shown synthesis done with same quality as the poison she has investigated. After this her slender sensitive fingers read the numbers on capsules, and typed them in.

"Here are the ones I'm interested in, my dear. Please continue to stage two with the companies that produced them".
"Meaning... the potential order for that specific mutation-transferring compound?"
The human girl seemed unwilling to pronounce the word. Slow poison, eliminating not only a person but a bloodline. Rhaine could understand her... for someone from Mentar Station this sounded horrible.. but the job had to be done.
"Yes, Lynnie. Please be as careful as you can. If there is a personal meeting or video communication involved, let me know."

Elynne snickered softly. Vampiress sighed. The Althos' brother and sister were her best agents, and she had no intention to lose them. Even for the sake of keeping the long-term plans of the Legion undisrupted.

=============================================================

Genetically speaking. Cetagandan work is distinguished
by its quality, originality, and, how shall I put it, elegance.
This is, by comparison, slapdash. Effective, mind you,
but slapdash. On a molecular level.
(L.M. Bujold, "Memory")
Keith Althos
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Keith Althos »

Rhaine contacted Keith using his comm bracelet, and ordered to meet her in Red Dragon Inn. She came alone, without the skeletal companion, and in normal civilian clothes. Her hair now wasn't gray, it had soft golden color. Vampiress ordered coffee for the young man, and apple juice for herself.

"Keith, your assignment is now on Rigel. You will try to get to police sources. Anything related to biochemically complex compounds used for assassinations. Time period - last four months. If needed, use your specialization. Just be careful."
"You mean.... I would get to break in and do some 'puter trickery?"
"Anything. Keep your sorry arse out of trouble as long as you can, but if necessary... "

Keith nodded. He was no novice in convincing both humans and computers. And he was born for it.

=====================================
"Our bed is the mousepad!"
(S. Lukjanenko)
Gabriel
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Gabriel »

There was more to the note than met the eye. The allusion to the assassin who'd traveled with them was troubling. We'd not seen Caleb Feren recently, but was it possible the Earl knew something about Mr. Feren and the attempt on the Marquess?

"We know our own..."

The message hinted strongly that Caleb Feren was associated with Tuebingen.

Before the 'gift' could be destroyed, I grabbed samples. Rhaine might
recognize something I missed. I remembered the contact information she'd given me for one of her associates, a woman named Lynnie.

The message was sent to this Lynnie - "Have suspect samples for your Patron. Need to get them to her post haste. Advise. Gabriel Mikhail Daratrazanov."

It was vague, but safe enough. Now to see if there was a response.
Gabriel Datrazanov
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

The null-terminal squealed again, like a cut pig. Rhaine intentionally selected the most unpleasant sound for the signal. Elynne's voice spoke calmly.

"Rhaine boss, you have a message from your RhyDinian acquaintance. I took the liberty to forward it via null, it's important"

Vampiress read the message - the thin pale strands of spell danced to the terminal and back. She nodded, and terminated connection. If Gabriel was calling her, that could be deadly serious.

=============================================================

Genetically speaking. Cetagandan work is distinguished
by its quality, originality, and, how shall I put it, elegance.
This is, by comparison, slapdash. Effective, mind you,
but slapdash. On a molecular level.
(L.M. Bujold, "Memory")
Gabriel
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Gabriel »

Lynnie had sent the samples directly to Rhaine, and my intuition was that the vampiress would find me this evening. Undoubtedly the act of sending it via her employee and her methods would indicate the crucial nature of the message.

As Lucien continued to prowl the streets of Badside/Dockside, I went to the small Inn to wait. Leaning against the wall, surveying the limited crowd present. My appearance had attracted the notice of a female, who greeted me with a grin and wiggle of her fingers. Through the course of the evening, I learned her name is Jewell. The name fits her.

My instincts proved true as Rhaine walked in, dressed in all black, but did not sport her usual robes. Her appearance has been altered to nearly conform to those of a petite human female, and her greeting was entirely too human.

Quirking a brow at her, "good of you to come."

She nodded and approached me, "who could stay home when such an invitation is received?"

I pulled out a chair for her, since this human façade was being used, "You could," I told her with just a trace of humor in my tone. Rhaine would only do as she deemed fit, completely irrespective of an invitation.

She gave me a grin, "you used a magic word. Let's formulate it this way."

I loved her double entendres. Talking to Rhaine is refreshing. Especially after having to suffer Nadine for these last few months.

So, she'd analyzed the samples for traces of a tell tale formula. I nodded and sat down with her, "the samples arrived?"

She dropped her voice low enough that only I could hear her, "yes, we have commenced stage two of investigation."

While I am pleased to hear of the progress, I admonished her that things may have changed with this flagrant action by the Earl. Instead of going into hiding, he's flaunting his ability to reach out and touch them all.

She gave me a slight smile, "Gabriel, your curiosity can cost my employee her head."

I looked at her in surprise. Lucien had told me about her new body guard, which even now if probably lurking out of sensory range, but lurking none the less. Surely a favored servant of Asmodeus could re-animate a human employee even if something happened to her. When I reminded her that it was simple enough to re-animate humans, she smirked, "Hell no. She would be less useful."

I almost snorted at that. A human- useful? At any rate, she is Rhaine's concern rather than mine. The vampiress handed me a small notebook, "here are a few names. Any of them sound familiar?"

One name jumped out at me. "Ralf Schwaeger owns a spin off company of Tuebingen's. There is an association there, but I will have to investigate whether or not they are still on good terms. They broke up Tuebingen's holdings about a decade ago. It was too big, there was no competition."

Rhaine nodded, "I will have my employees work on stage 2. The first one was rather crude."

One thing Rhaine is not, and that is sloppy. She continued to see answers, which allows Lucien and I to investigate other places and options as well. A broader search is more likely to lead to answers.

I glanced around the Inn, noting where Jewell was before looking once more at Rhaine. "Lucien is doing some investigation work, the contents of the 'gift' were free of chemical alteration?"

She nodded, "even non-lethal."

I pondered that for a moment before continuing. "Theoretically speaking, if you were on the lamb and found a little back water place that didn't know you, or your past, where you could meet up with a high tech research firm like the one MacPherson has under construction, would you be interested enough to risk being caught and sent back to your home world?" It has been nagging at me why Tuebingen would taunt like he is, and where in the close systems he might go and retain touch with his profession and background. People tend to stick to what they know best, and that would lead him to firms like MacPherson. IF, and that's a very big IF, he sticks to his expertises.

Rhaine's lived a long time, seen first hand persecution, and like my own people, been hunted for what she is. I was curious; would she risk discovery to stick to what she knows. Her answer however was as enigmatic as ever, "might be."

I've been trying to put myself into the mindset of the man, but his actions were not making sense no matter how I looked at it. Frustration bubbled over, and I muttered an imprecation in ancient Romanian, "the S.O.B. is taunting us, and is too smart for his own good."

Rhaine looked at me oddly, "or he is making lose attention. You would start jumping on each taunt, and eventually miss the actual threat. Or, he is just having fun."

Her last thought stirred frustration further. "FUN?! I certainly do not think of this as 'fun'. Distraction, that is entirely plausible." It was all I could do to remain sitting rather than pacing the room. My anger elicited a rumble of thunder outside the Inn.

The ever implacable Rhaine continued, "Gabriel, remember how we played that puzzle - chasing and how I had fun vexing you? This can be a similar case."

I glowered at her, "THAT is the last thing needed right now! You will not teach him your tricks, I trust?" While I am confident in my rift door, I do not want that one learning how to get past the Palazzo defenses. The thunder rolled closer to the Inn.

She laughed, "I have never met him. Doubt I can teach him."

As I began to ask her why she thought he might bother with these distractions rather than remaining safely vanished away, Miss Xile entered. Rhaine admitted that she could not speak for Tuebingen, and Anne located an empty table.

Rhaine spoke very softly, dragging my attention back to her, "do you find life on the edge exciting?"

Her question caught me by surprise, "at times." Through the centuries, I have lived exciting times, dangerous times, and quiet times. Right now, the danger is more to my charge and her own than to myself or Lucien. Life on this particular edge I could do without.

Rhaine continued, "I do not know how exciting or boring could anyone's life at Rigel be, but after certain period of my own life spent in research, intrigue in the Temple, and chess-playing with our allies and enemies, I loved the simple excitement of warfare together with the Knights. If the Court is as boring as your boss describes..." her thought remained unfinished, but crystal clear none the less. Tuebingen might have had enough of the Court life and be savoring a freedom he has never had before.

I glanced toward Anne. "She should be told of the risk. If he has come here, or is coming here, she too could be in danger."

Rhaine gave me a puzzled look, "why? So far he has shown no dangerous action. Just a joke."

Just a joke?? The man is a known killer, with absolutely no compunction about openly committing murder. He had kidnapped Anne's children to use them as a tool to force her compliance in some deed, and Rhaine does not see the man as a menace to be taken seriously?

I moved silently toward Ms. Xile, leaning over her shoulder before speaking in the black velvet voice of compulsion, "Do join us MIss Xile."

She nearly jumped out of her skin hearing my voice so close to her. "Crap Gabriel! Do you have to scare me like that?"

I smirked inwardly, mild compulsion did not work on her. "My pardon Miss Xile. Would you care to join Rhaine and I?"

She shrugged, "sure, why not," as she stood up and asked if I would lead the way.

I slid my arm beneath her finger tips, "with pleasure." I led her the 3 meters to the table I had been sharing with the vampiress. I give the young human credit, she never flinched from the touch of my flesh, which to her must have been as cold and hard as marble beneath her fingers. I pulled out her chair, "Thank you for joining us Miss Xile."

Glancing at Rhaine, I suspect that Anne would be more amenable to answering questions from her rather than from me. "Rhaine, would you care to inquire of Miss Xile what the facts of the abduction of her children were?"

Rhaine gave me a slight grimace, "abduction, bleh, was it really abduction, or your children were guests in the house of human Kendrick Albrecht with your permission?"

As Rhaine asked her questions, I delved lightly into the human's thoughts. Truth oft lies behind pretty words that do not tell the entirety of the deeds.

Anne admitted that the Earl had taken her children without her knowledge, and she shuddered as I pushed more deeply into her thoughts before she spoke up firmly, "who ever is pushing into my head, stop. Just ask me whatever it is you're trying to dig out of me."

She's strong willed, and sensitive to intrusion. "Why did he bring your children to his home?"

She gave me a puzzled look, "I thought you knew this Gabriel."

Lucien and I had been so busy that we had not sat down and compared notes 100%. This must not have counted to Lucien as critical information. "I would not inquire if I already knew, would you be kind enough to enlighten Miss Rustovich and myself."

She sighed deeply. It was clearly not what she had expected when she joined us tonight.

"He asked me to murder two of the Peers." Her voice was barely a whisper of sound.

Rhaine nodded as she inquired whether any motivation was given. She did not believe in murder without a damned good rationale. Although, there are creatures who will kill just for the thrill of such things. Obviously, she did not consider Tuebingen to be such a monstrosity.

Anne told us that Tuebingen had his motivation in that both were a threat to the Prince. That he had used the children as leverage to assure her compliance.

Rhaine almost groaned. "So he was a supporter of the current Kaiser. Mi-i-dnight, how I hate politics related messes."

I gave her a smile just to needle her.

She turned toward me, "How different is current Kaiser's course from that of his father?"

"Significantly different from the former Kaiser. The old was a committed expansionist. The current one is more interested in developing what is already held. The military is against this change in policies and posture." She would understand the more subtle meaning behind my description. The prince would be in grave danger from the inside. Unrest from the Peers who always benefited the most from expansion, and the military leaders who would now have to deal with peace and the mundane affairs of status quo.

Her own sources had told her pretty much the same thing.

I studied Miss Xile for a moment before continuing. "Politics drive the economy and expansionism leads to larger holdings for the Peers. There are many who object to the change. Miss Xile, how did you accomplish the requirement from the Earl to murder the two Peers?"

She shifted slightly in her chair, "he provided poisons chemically specified to the two targets."

So, she had been the vector for the poison and it's delivery. Now we know the 'how' of the delivery.

Rhaine added, "publicly or not, the unseen side of the iceberg is always much larger than the obvious. These two could be very active supporters of the previous Kaiser. Were they?"

Anne did not know why Tuebingen had chosen them.

Rhaine rounded on me then, "you have seen the list Gabriel. His involvement in these two murders proves nothing. All of these companies produce the substances and if what you speak is true Anne, his action is natural."

Was my vampiress defending the man? While all of those companies might be capable of producing such a poison, surely the unique markers would ultimately tie Tuebingen into the murders and the attempt on the Marquess.

It grew late, and I needed to meet Lucien. There was an intriguing warehouse that needed to be investigated.

I told Anne of the 'gift' that had been left for the Marchioness and suggested to her that caution may be in order.

Bidding both women adieu, I vanished from sight to look into the warehouse of interest.
Gabriel Datrazanov
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

I could only wonder about the motives behind publicity of Kaiser's assassination. And about the layout of political scene. Keith has just started his analysis. I have no trust in any words... probably that's not too good, but who knows what is happening actually... I am no psionicist expert, unfortunately, and I can not catch this Kendrick and get a scan of his memory. Which is a pity.

The picture was becoming worse and worse. When I came to the Inn, my vampire was already there. Gabriel and I discussed Kendrick again and again, but nothing was more clear... Talks bred confusion. He could have used public assassination of previous Kaiser as a smokebomb to dodge the boredom of Court (and from Keith's first reports I could see how disgusting the place was), or he could have been simply used by the Prince. From the first glance at the situation, Tuebingen gained nothing from the assassinations, only lost, which made me suggest he was used. However, who knows what exactly lies under the water here? What is the hidden part of the iceberg?

In the middle of our talk (which was getting us nowhere) Rille arrived. She looked happy in this new environment - happier than even in the insanity of Clandestine. I have assigned her to monitor local markets for equipment and supplies for a biochemical or genetical lab - she probably got the information I needed. And I was correct. Rille nodded as I introduced her to Gabriel. What were the thoughts in her pretty head, I wonder... She handed me info-chip. Of course my curious vampire decided to poke his nose into the information. No way, my sweet, only after I decide if you are fit to take a look at it.

Rille worries me. She is starting to seek danger willingly, and enjoying it. Just like I was... when I was her age. I need to make sure she doesn't get killed. The game is much more serious, and the lass is much more human than I was. I reminded her to be as cautious as possible, and altered the Temple wards to let her pass. The girl needs some safe hideaway. If things go wrong... in the end, half of her genome is mine. Or at least what used to be my genome.

Kendrick, earl Tuebingen. This man has become a headache for too many. However I do not sense that he can be a threat to me and to the Temple. He should be rational enough. I have seen samples of his work... very good work for a human by the way! Compared to g'iarre standards it's a slapdash, of course, but for a human it's magnificent. I have heard of assassinations he has performed - brilliant. Azjah hates him, and one has to deserve such hatred.

But this man is a puzzle. I can not say that he is in RhyDin - I have seen no evidence of this. The McPherson company Rille has tracked, can have other molecular biologists. But I can not say he is somewhere in another place. Everything would depend on stage two... Hopefully I would have to have a personal meeting with a representative of the company which decides to get the order...
Gabriel
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Gabriel »

The warehouse was very promising. Lucien identified the scent of Tuebingen, and now I have it as well. The man HAS come to RhyDin. Now there is no doubt.

Rhaine kept insisting that there was no proof - yet here it was. The proof she demanded. Lucien and I agreed not to enter the warehouse just yet. He laid in wait to see if the man himself would surface, but if not, then we would enter on the morrow to investigate this location. It was without question associated with the Earl.

I headed for the quiet refuge of the Inn, and the female Jewell, but as I formed within the walls, I saw Rhaine already there. "Wish to sit down somewhere? Or you're pretending to keep the wall from falling on others?"

Giving her a sarcastic grin, "You think the chairs will hold me?"

She snickered, "You think you're much heavier than some visitors of this place?"

Moving with preternatural speed to pull out a chair for the woman. "Let me say that I am more dense than many that come."

She nodded and sat down, "I know."

Smug wench! I sat down regarding her a few minutes. "Are you defending Tuebingen, Rhaine?"

She gave me a level look, "No. I am defending no one. Gabriel, any Asmodean follows one simple rule - facts, facts, and facts. Nothing is done for the heck of it. We are taught not to assume anything. There is always someone who benefits form one action or another. Even a brainless Knight is taught to think."

I reminded her that htere was no question that Tuebingen was the killer of three, that much was irrefutable, and that the question I needed answered was who went after the Marquess. He was the most likely supsect at the moment.

She frowned, "I doubt Klinton would get any serious political weight in Rigel. He could be used to press Azjah. So my question is... how involved was she in this political S.? Was she supporting the expansionist? Was she any danger to the one behind the murders?"

I knew a moment of trepidation before answering her. Political alliances can be very tricky. "The Marquess would be a logical tool to Tuebingen, considering his use of Anne's children to accomplish his goals. But, the delivery of the poisons is very different. He used Anne as a knowing vector, and himself the second time. Why change to lipstick the third?"

She shrugged, "indirect usage of Azjah as vector."

I glanced around, assuring myself that no one was listening, "the Marchioness kept a low profile. It would have been imprudent to openly defy the previous Kaiser, but she subtly sided with the Prince."

Rhaine pondered aloud, "he probably knows your boss hates the guts of him, so no need to press on her. Anyone can change tactics, what's missing here, a dratted motive."

With a wry laugh, I told Rhaine that the Marchioness would have his gonads on a spit if she could, and that Tuebingen was very well aware of that fact.

Rhaine held my eyes, "Gabriel, I do not believe in actions without a reason. But there was no reason to bash on Azjah... if you are not a fanatic supporter of expansionist aimed at eliminating even those who keep a low profile."

I nodded, "which also makes his taunting with the gift out of character."

She shook her head, "Hold. This taunt is not in the scene of attempt on Klinton."

I gave her an incredulous look, "You do realize that if he is unbalanced, his actions may not be logical? This taunt has EVERYTHING to do with the attempt on the Marquess."

She gave me a cold look, "I do realize this, but so far, I have seen no evidence of illogical actions. WHAT has it to do with it?! It's different time, different environment, different motive if possible. The object of the big game has been achieved. Rigel has a new Kaiser."

To my view, she was completely missing the link provided by the note. Clearly Tuebingen knows who made the attempt on the Marquess. The only question is, was it direct action, or did he have someone else try? "The note with the gift specifically references the attempt, AND a kinship between assassins. And the new Kaiser is not secure in his position. If this was to put Wolfgang on the throne, why leave now? Why not stay and assure his continued existence?"

She told me she was seriously checking this matter because she believes Tuebingen was probably used as a scapegoat, a place for all of the public fury to be aimed. She even went so far as to tell me the new Kaiser probably had several such 'tools'.

Tuebingen is many things, but a dupe for the Prince? Ludicrous! When I laid out my objections to her premise, she told me, "if your Wolfgang used him as a tool, he could use not a trick to manipulate, but a direct order."

A low rumble rippled across the night sky. "Not 'my' Wolfgang, but I understand your point. Let us keep that distinction if you please." While I prefer not to discuss where we originate from for obvious reasons, I do not wish to have anyone believe we came originally from Rigel. What an absolutely abhorrent thought!

We debated the merits of her premise regarding the Prince, but the Prince's background does not suggest he would resort to such tactics. Now, the old Kaiser? No questions he would have done anything to secure his policies.

Rhaine suggested that public assassination ruined a lot for the Earl, now he could only remain behind the scenes, and she still wondered why murder. She had also learned about the murder of the girl, but that was a bloody messy thing that was not at all like the Earl, unless you consider his blowing up the Danaan yacht.

Rhaine asked how long ago that had been, and how old the Earl was now. He'd been very young, around 17 when he had slain the Marchioness' parents, but he has spent the intervening years honing his skills.

We were joined by a young woman with white hair, and who has an uncanny resemblance to my vampiress. She was introduced as simply Rille. The woman barely gave me the time of day as I stood for Rhaine's introductions, her demeanor very like the Vampiress' in our early association, but I gave her an old world, very courtly bow, "Good evening Rille." and then I gave Rhaine a smirk. She has a daughter!

I pulled out a chair for the woman as Rhaine asked if she had discovered anything curious.

"As a matter of fact, yes, I did happen to ....." She glanced at me and the chair, "that won't be necessary, I'm not staying long."

Rhaine chuckled, "you have a date? That's why you're in a hurry?"

I slid the chair in, but remained standing. It would be heathen of me to sit while the lady stood.

Rille continued with her report to Rhaine. "There was one particular group that I found that have some interesting qualities. Unique deliveries and such, and some very interesting acquisitions."

Then Rille smirked at Rhaine, "No, no date. I just don't want to intrude."

Rhaine smiled, "do you have the list?"

Rille reached into the folds of her robes and clothing to pull out a small chip that she handed over to Rhaine. "It's all in there."

Rhaine took the chip and slipped it into a bracelet like device at her wrist as I asked Rille if she could summarize, but she shot Rhaine a quick look, "If Rhaine thinks you need to know."

At that point, the Marchioness arrived and my focus needed to change. I do not want the Marchioness to worry until I have good reasons for her to worry, and she would if she knew how deeply this was being investigated. Further, Lucien's and my foray into the warehouse tonight would not be looked upon favorably. If Tuebingen is still about, things could get rather messy.
Gabriel Datrazanov
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

I entered the Inn late, and there was a very small crowd. Eoin stood by the door, but was visibly relieved to see Gabriel there as well. Gabriel, Rhaine, and the young woman Rille were gathered at a table away from the others, and so I approached them.

Rhaine said hello first, and then Rille inquired after my holidays. Clearly I had interrupted something deep here. Gabriel offered to retrieve drinks, and that is something he almost never does. He left for my scotch as Rhaine spoke up to Rille, "I can give Gabriel a summary when I take a look at this. If that's one more piece to the puzzle, that would be delicious."

Gabriel returned in time to tell Rhaine "Or send the chip to me."

Rhaine quipped back, "Gabriel, I hope you do not assume I would trust you enough."

He walked toward the bar as Klinton stepped inside, telling Rhaine he could hope that some century she would learn to trust him.

I shook my head, "Gabriel? What are you up to now?"

Klinton headed for the bar and his ale before joining us as Rhaine chuckled, "Some vampire - style mischief probably."

Rille seemed anxious to depart as she told Rhaine, "I don't suppose I'm further needed, am I?"

Rhaine told her only if she needed to ask questions, but that she should keep safe. In these times, I think we all need to endeavor to keep safe.

Klinton joined us, and I slipped my hand into his as he told me he felt as if he were being neglectful of me. I find that nonsense, but touching that he worries so about me. He'd been playing with the ring on his finger, as though he were still not quite used to wearing it, or perhaps he regrets things? He'd not really had any choice on Rigel.

Rhaine and Rille bantered back and forth about Rille being too much like Rhaine, and I had to chuckle inwardly. I suspect Rhaine was a bit of a hellion when she was Rille's age.

Turning toward Klinton, I leaned close, enjoying the warmth of his presence, and the scent of his person as I conspiratorially told him, "I have just arrived, but I get the distinct impression that Gabriel and Rhaine are up to something." I know perfectly well that Gabriel hears every word, and yet he is playing ignorant of my questions and my comments. Something is up, and he's not wanting to discuss it.

Klinton looked at Gabriel, "Causing trouble again?"

Gabriel gave him a completely dead pan, slightly affronted look, "I do not cause trouble. I endeavor to avert it."

Klinton sipped his beer, "Actually, I cannot argue that fact."

I looked hard at Gabriel, "So precisely what are you three plotting?"

Gabriel looked at me, "Lucien has found an interesting warehouse. We plan to check it out tonight."

Well, that certainly was a minimalistic response. "What makes this warehouse so interesting Gabriel?"

He turned away from me, having heard Anne arrive and departed without a word in reply to my query. I gave him a suspicious look, "Ignoring me?"

He was listening to Rille and Rhaine, and Rhaine's comment that it was good that men found Rille attractive because "many females solve problems by just nice look and soft word."

Rille smirked as Gabriel chimed in, "And that is the downfall of any male of any species Rhaine."

She chuckled and admitted that she knew.

I leaned closer to Klinton, "So, what did you make of the 'gift'?" He glanced up from his beer, "I think someone is trying to kill me, Or you, or both."

I whispered very softly, "but do you think it's Kendrick, or no?"

He shrugged, "Probably is, but I don't think it matters really."

Rhaine froze abruptly and looked at Klinton, "Why? And how? Any facts?" With that outburst, Rille went silent and sat studying Klinton.

Rhaine's soft words could barely be heard, "Chess game. And a good one." Then to Klinton she inquired again, "Why do you think someone is trying to kill you? How serious do you think the potential murderer is? And why would anyone wish to kill you?"

Klinton was very thoughtful before he responded to her, "Well, nearly poisoned on my wedding night. Gifts sent anonymously to the house, just seems suspicious to me. We cannot prove anyone. And I will keep my mouth shut about suspicions."

I whispered softly, "The implication form the initials is Kendrick, but that is the problem, proving it."

Rille's gaze flitted to Rhaine's a moment before Rhaine said, "I do not believe any implications. Any of my bretheren is taught this."

Klinton motioned for me not to mention the Earl's name. “I do not trust everyone around us Azjah. I am very much on edge about this.”

I nodded, we were all on edge lately.

He left to retrieve Anne to join us. His approach to her was utterly soundless, and he leaned over her left shoulder before pitching his voice in a low, velvety baritone, "There is a small party over there, if you would care to join us Miss Xile?”

Anne tensed instantly, then slapped her hand, palm open onto the counter, “I told you not to sneak up on me like that! The next time you do that I just might take my staff and hit you on the head!”

Jewell smirked, her expression very clearly suggesting she might enjoy that sight.

Rhaine and Rille prepared to go just as Gabriel began to escort Anne toward us. “Marquess, Marchioness, look whom I just discovered.”

Anne muttered about the word ‘discovered’ but accepted the chair Gabriel pulled out for her. “Evening Azjah, will you please tell your friend here that I don’t like being scared senseless.”

I quirked a brow at Anne, “He is scaring you?”

She nodded emphatically, “Yeah, like sneaking up on me and using this soft voice in my ear. Usually when that happens I get kidnapped, shot, stabbed, threatened, get my drift?”

Gabriel smiled like a shark, “Do you object to pleasantly pitched voices Miss Xile?”

I shook my head, “Gabriel, you can make warning noises before you speak so closely.”

He laughed a velvet caress of sound, “I could, but the adrenaline scent is intoxicating.”

Anne sighed, “as long as you don’t start pressing daggers or guns to my back, I guess I’ll live through it.”

Gabriel looked at Anne, “I would only do that if you gave me a reason Miss Xile.” He was not teasing at that point.

Klinton rose, excusing himself, and I told him that I would like to remain and speak with Anne for a bit. Klinton nodded and disappeared into the night.

Anne listened to the altered tone of Gabriel’s voice, “Let’s hope I don’t give you a reason then, huh?”

Gabriel told her that she would not realize it until it was too late, and Anne shuddered slightly. Something was wrong here.

“Gabriel, please do not tease like that. Anne? How are you holding up?”

She told me that the trial stunk, and that she really wanted it to be over with. The strain was telling on her, and while I asked if there was something I could do to help alleviate her tension, she told me to ask the lawyers. There was very little now, but I had to ask. She shifted, “and y’know what else stinks? Caleb. I’m having second thoughts. I don’t think this is going to work.”

I was surprised by her admission, but she did not wish to discuss it further, so I glanced away to see Rhaine re-appear, only to huddle with Gabriel. Those two are up to something, but clearly are keeping it under wraps at the moment. I turned my attention back to Anne, “well, you know where to find me if you decide you do want to talk.”

I heard Rhaine tell Gabriel to be careful, and his cavalier reply, “I am the epitome of careful.” He is utterly too cavalier about life, even if it is his own.

Anne spoke up, “Anyway, how are you doing? I hope that ‘gift’ from Kendrick didn’t scare you too badly.”

I looked at her, “Worried Anne. That delivery has put everyone on edge. I destroyed it all. There was no point in risking that he’s developed something Lucien and Gabriel cannot sense.”

Her next words stunned me. “Frankly, that doesn’t put me on edge. I’m not going to lie, I’m not afraid of him.”

I could not believe what I am hearing, “How can you say that Anne? He abducted you, your children, used you as a vector of killing, how can you not be afraid of him?”

She shrugged, “I don’t know. Probably the same reason that I’m currently engaged to an assassin.”

I was shaking now, “Anne, Kendrick is a murdering bast*rd! Caleb never used you. Kendrick did!”

Her voice was just as cold, “I know.”

A sudden, sickening thought dawned on me, “Anne? Have you seen him here, in RhyDin? Would you tell us if you saw him here given his and my past?”

She rubbed her temples, and hedged, “IF I saw him, and IF I thought he was a threat, yes.”

That did not make me feel secure by any means. Would she hide Kendrick’s presence from us after everything she’s seen and knows?

She quipped with feigned lightness, “If I was Kendrick, I’d send you the basket, just to make you and Klint paranoid. And then go off to some distant planet where I can’t be found.”

My doubts and suspicions were on high alert, “I do not think that is it Anne. The man murdered my parents, 2 Peers of the Realm, the Kaiser, just how would you determine whether or not he’s a threat?”

She agreed he was no angel, and agreed that my parents were unforgivable, but that the other murders were politically motivated, and that Klinton and I were not in danger because we were no threat to Kendrick.

“Oh, I am VERY much a threat to him Anne. I will have his gonads on a spit if I can. I will turn him over to the Rigelian authorities at first opportunity.” She has no clue how much of a threat I am to the man. Nor the depth of my commitment to get him put away.

She shook her head, “That’s if you can find him. It’s not my battle. I personally don’t want to be involved in any more conflicts. I just want to have peaced.”

She was hiding him. I could feel it in my soul. I needed to leave. “Anne? Please do not trust him. Not a bit.” With that, I headed into the night, with Eoin as my shadow.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Rille
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Rille »

These humans have to be the most random and exciting people to be with, the males in particular are fun to tease. I’ve noticed that the majority find me attractive. I’ve turned down over two dozen requests and accepted five. All of dates were pointless, though it is fun to tease the males. They’re all hopeless.

Working for Rhaine has got to be one of the most enjoyable occupations I’ve ever had. Currently I’m monitoring markets for equipment and supplies for a biochemical or genetical lab. McPherson seems to be the one of highest interest. Personally, I wouldn’t mind getting involved with them. Another part-time job. After finding some valuable information concerning their recent acquisitions I decided to inform Rhaine first-person. Taking the chip of info with me I headed over to the Red Dragon Inn.

She was with a vampire friend, Gabriel. He seemed polite enough though a little old fashioned. He must’ve done something uniquely interesting to gain Rhaine as a companion or friend. However, he was, and will remain, none of my concern. Rhaine’s associates, or dates, are none of my concern.

After delivering my information Rhaine and I talked briefly. I told her how much I’ve been enjoying this new world. Oddly enough she’s been protective of me, and concerned for my safety. The woman went to such lengths as to show me the new Temple and provide me access incase of an emergency. Rhaine claims that the game has become dangerous, I find it fun. The risk thrills me. Perhaps that’s what scares her most.
*We are more often treacherous through weakness than through calculation.* Francois De La Rochefoucauld
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

Rhaine entered the hideout - and immediately the null-terminal squealed. A message forwarded by Elynne. Vampiress frowned. Anonymous email. Keith has traced it back to originating IP. Request of a personal meeting. She started weaving the disguise shell for human appearance, and added a recording spell. Having no normal eyesight sometimes was a menace. Her skin darkened, getting rich golden tan, typical for mentari colonists. Hair turned long, soft, wavy
golden-brown. Clear KE-286 (Keidain) phenotype. She already had the
report about rigelian medical scanners, Keith did a good job.
Concealing a few recording devices was hardly a problem for the mage. A shell over a shell concealing a shell... Why have they requested a meeting on a graveyard? Vampiress thought it rather ironic - to meet a vampire on graveyard at noon. She arrived there with typically asmodean punctuality.

A courier approached her, looking very uneasy about the delivery.
"Umm...excuse me, are you R L Gair?"

Rai Lerdann Gair. This was the alias she used when she first came to Mentar. Rhaine nodded, confirming the name was hers, and the young man handed her a package. Small box. She opened it, and turned on the communicator. A pudgy red nosed man appeared. She could only see a cloud of energy pattern, and hear a voice. "Allo Govnor...you be RL Gair then?"

Her face did not change in the slightest. Rhaine nodded. "Rai Lerdann Gair. So this is your idea of a personal meeting?"

"Not mine miss, me boss I'm just scouting the way for 'im as it is. Just a tick then" The pudgy man smiled self-effacingly.

She smirked. The secrecy was funny. The man walked out of the screen, and another came on. Pain burned her eyes as the recording spell started working. Who was he? The one she had been hunting, or someone else? "Afternoon Maam, I understand your distaste but I enjoy my privacy. How may I aid you today?"

Nice voice. Far from velvety darkness of Gabriel's baritone, but definitely nice. "As my representative told me, you might be useful in procuring a work of top class. How good are you with synthesis of artifical genes and complexes delivering them?" It was such a pleasure to speak without having to simplify anything! She hardly forced herself to stop describing the design. In the end, she needed to see HIS manner of work.

The man replied, "I've done some work in the area. Do you have an exact effect in mind?"

Rhaine's eyes narrowed slightly "Of course. I have rather detailed specifications, including the exact sites where the gene should be inserted."

"Well you sound like you are well acquainted with the procedure yourself. You may be mistaken as to my services. I produce agents I do not however administer them. I may be able to refer you to someone however." The man looked down as if looking through some papers.

Soft, clear voice of vampire turned to steel. "I mean design and production. Only. The sites are rather specific for a certain bloodline. If you can think of other markers - given the DNA - it's your choice. Just make it precise enough"

The man's smile was tight, "I will require DNA samples for each of the targets. Now will this be a paid commission or are you appealing to my sense of civic duty and targeting a lawyer?"

The steel in her voice was instantly gone, as fluid as liquid helium. "Do I look like a fool? Civic duty and top class work do not mix. Has my representative given a description? Or just ... some basics?"

"All I've been told so far is that you require a retrovirus that will kill the target and their progeny. Untraceable and untreatable"

Play it, or do not play it, Rhaine reminded herself. Full lips of her altered face curved in a content smirk. "Yes. Symptoms, initially similar to a slight cold."

"Are you certain you even want symptoms. It could be engineered to be quick and painless to the point that there will be no warning before hand"

Adding some arrogance, she grinned. "There has to be a cold to leave fake traces."

"As you wish," the man agreed. "Who is the target?"

Now that was interesting. Money was involved, and the man asked who could be the target? Some principles here? However asmodeans never did things halfway. "You know anyone on Mentar Station?" Rhaine asked.

"Only by reputation. Some of their work is facinating"

Of course fascinating, you dhoine. They are true heirs to Psilons, both in talent and technology. Even though they are humans. But vampiress didn't speak this aloud. Instead she spoke in a cold, calm tone.

"Bloodline L-649, legal name Dehtyar."

"Do you have the samples with you?"

Aha, so these are not the ones you would keep safe at any cost. Good. She admitted she had the samples, and placed a container with DNA samples into an opening in the holotransmitter. Now if the human performs this task, she would see the way he works... and that would be enough. After some boring negotiation about payment, Rhaine returned to the Temple. She had an extremely difficult ritual to get ready for.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

from diary of vampiress

Post by Rhaine »

As I walked along the dark alley behind the Red Dragon Inn, Gabriel materialized from the shadows - in his normal vampire way. Without lengthy greetings he tossed me a crystal.
"You wanted proof that Tuebingen is here in RhyDin"
Nodding, I scanned the recording. The voice of the man was familiar. The one who would do the retrovirus! Gabriel continued, and the news were ... strange.
"The man is going about RhyDin without even an alias. And, has begun working for McPherson. This is not good news. If he is working for McPherson, he is bringing a technology to them they cannot have yet." Gabriel ran his hand through long black hair "The laws of RhyDin mean there is no extradition. Another way will have to be found to return him to Rigel."
"So he needs a new job. A job that would take him completely... fully... fill his mind... But he needs to prove he is fit for it", I could only smile, imagining the work on my assignment. A test of skill for the human biologist. I tossed my vampire a copy of recording from the spell I had on me during the meeting. "Information for information," I told him. Gabriel studied the recording within the globe, and slight surprise reflected on his spectral pattern.
"You appear to be on Rigel. I did not think you had gone personally. Your, daughter, maybe."
"Daughter?" - that was surprising. He thought Rille was my child? Sincere surprise, nothing more. Vampire continued. "There is little doubt that she is related closely to you. I am supposing at this point given her age, she is your daughter."
"She is my last successful experiment in humanoid modification before I was initiated," was my calm, matter-of-fact reply.
"So you created her from your own genetic code? Is she a clone, or more?"
"Her genome is partially based on mine, and partially - on a certain male's. Just last flicker of human sentimentality. Pure modification and additions... the lass is more than she appears to be. How old do you think she is?"
I watched Gabriel's reactions. The subject brought up unpleasant memories of my time before initiation. Past relationship with William Cawtone was painful to remember, knowing how it ended... Gabriel seemed to consider artifical being something wrong... but why? I was a fool, moved by human sentimental wish to have a child, but Life Magic was already pulling on my soul. I combined my genes, William's genes, and my own designs into what grew up as Rille. But the distaste in Gabriel's voice was too obvious.
"Test tube creation. While you appear to be human terms around 35, she appears to be early 20's."
"Something against artifical beings?" I sweetened my tone to the point of causing a toothache.
"I think some things are better left untampered with. Why would you experiment on life? It feels, how shall I say.....oddly uncomfortable," his look was long and heavy, almost palpable was the disapproval I sensed in him. I paused.
"Because it is my way of life. My destiny. Something I can not live without," I spoke quietly. This was the only truth... and the reason of my alienation. Can you live without breathing? can a fish live without water? can a sparrow live without flying?
"Do you feel uncomfortable being two millennia old?" I asked Gabriel. But he could not understand me.
"For my people, that is normal. Why would I be uncomfortable with that? Our Prince ..... Is this genetic manipulation common in your home?"

I tried to explain him how I became myself, but sensed I was talking to a wall. The talk slided off to Rille's specifications, which were a good way to redirect the conversation back to more mundane subjects. Kendrick working for the McPhersons - for a second I envied him. But knowing how humans earn their profits, I quickly killed off that envy. Sophisticated equipment, secrecy - that is a sign of human corporation that has not-so-peaceful research projects. Gabriel and Lucien can't check out the place, but perhaps Rille and I can. With Kendrick's past experience with poisons, he can be used here - to develop something just as deadly. Something that can disrupt the plans of the Temple.

Gabriel and I tossed around thoughts about human way to turn to death any new discovery, and parted. My vampire friend seems to be stuck on the thought of catching murderer. I can not agree with him. As a priest of Crystal, I always have to hear both sides... and I have a feeling that the situation is not as simple as Gabriel wishes to see it.
Kendrick Albrecht
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Kendrick Albrecht »

Kendrick looked up at the clock. 3:42 AM. He'd been working for the last thirty-two hours on his newest project and his eyes were having a problem focusing. The retro-virus was complete but he wondered for a second about why anyone would need to kill an entire family as part of industrial espionage. Not his world, not his culture, and as much as he felt like a bastard for saying it, not his problem. He packed two vials in a small case and leaned back in his chair. 'Henry' would drop it off in the graveyard and notify the client where to find it. He'd be happy when this project was over. Something felt wrong about it, he just couldn't figure out what.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

She again had to put on her human disguise, and again to null-port to Rigel. The directions were clear enough, and soon two glass vials were in her hands.

Either this Tuebingen was too smart even for himself, or... The retrovirus was same top class work as poisons used against two nobles and Kaiser. But the compound aimed at Klinton had less markers used in the molecule. As if it was created with less care though with equal accuracy, but as she learned from Keith's analysis, dhoine already had technology for automating the synthesis. She ordered Keith to confirm the transfer - as usual, via a dozen of banks, making it as untraceable as possible. Vampiress needed to think.

Rhaine returned to her hideout. Soft armchair, dark violet wine, and gentle embrace of twilight. Her delicate fingers played with the vials. Something was wrong here... THE AMOUNT OF PAYMENT! It was far less than what others demanded. The one who did this top class work - he loved it, and needed work itself - not the money! When someone loves his work, he would do it at the top of his ability, no matter how insignificant the issue is. It would be matter of pride. This was the way her kin worked. This was the way the four poisons were done. Four. Not FIVE.

She laughed. Now Gabriel would hear some of less pleasant things!
Kendrick Albrecht
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Kendrick Albrecht »

Kendrick sent the last update to the electronic drop box he had set up with the MacPhersons. The serum he'd designed would boost the regeneration abilities of a human off the charts. He'd already thought up half a dozen medical and military uses. He sent his marketing suggestions along with the specifications.

His email lit up and he had a request for a personal meeting from The one you know as Rai Lerdann Gair. He smiled, she wanted to meet at the Adventurers Guild. "Not by the hair of my chiny, chin, chin." He said with a smile. He quickly sent a note back suggesting an ice cream shop near one of his safe houses and she agreed. This R. L. Gair was almost as elusive as Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum of the fanged set so he had to admit that he was intrigued, especially after he'd turned up a few links between her and Anne's aquaintance Rhaine. The last job had been a set-up and perhaps now he could find out why. He pocketed a few items that might come in useful and headed out.

He arrived at the restaurant early but took up a position on the roof across the street and watched using a thermal imager as Miss Gair arrived. No sign of Gabe or Lucy yet but he set up the sensors to alert him if they picked up anything new and headed down to meet his recent employer.

Kendrick entered the ice cream parlor one of the Xile roses. He approached the table Miss Gair had taken and bowed, handing her the rose, "Afternoon Maam. Would you care for some ice cream?"

She looked at the flower, and then looked up at Kendrick. Her face calm to the point of indifference, "I am not sure this place has the quality I prefer." He watched as a white fog covered her eyes momentarily, and she smiled at the rose. "Better and better, this one is convincing me you are quite capable of working at a certain project."

"Project?" Kendrick asked uncertainly and then glanced at the counter, "One second please." He walked over to the counter and bought himself a triple scoop of chocolate returning to the table, "You were saying?"

The woman chuckled at the sight of Kendrick with the towering ice cream cone. She made a simple gesture and a silver pot of steaming coffee that smeled delicious materialized before her. A second gesture sent a heavy silver coin levitating from her to the counter.

"Nice trick." Kendrick said with a smile.

"First things first." She looked at him with the whiteness over her eyes, "You were in some sort of accident?"

"Not recently why?"

"Just noticed you are having some odd adjustments to your body. Some things locals do not have." She materialized a translucent porcelain cup in front of her, "Some coffee for you too?"

"Yes please. and as far as my," he paused to find the right word, "adjustments. The locals tend to prefer magical solutions don't they. How can you see them by the way?"

A second cup materialized in front of him, "You just said. Magical solutions."

"Ahh, then I was right to avoid personal appearances up until now." Kendrick said with a grin. He took a sip of the coffee, "Not bad."

She shrugged, "Tolerable. RhyDin isn't the best place to get coffee. First things first, I have spoken to a cerain vampire, that is who told me you were in RhyDin."

"Gabe or Lucy?"

"Gabriel."

Kendrick grinned, "Nice kid. Can't take a joke though."

A slight smirk curved her lips, "I know, his sense of humor seems slightly too odd. Happens to you when you are his age." She took a sip of her coffee, "I wished to ask first about your view of all these events on Rigel. The three murders that preceded ascension of new ruler."

His grin faded, "I know of them."

"And?"

"You haven't asked a question yet."

Her eyes narrowed dangerously, "Only your opinion. I have very good memory for voices, human."

Kendrick's eyebrows went up. She had become threatening without warning and he tensed up, ready to fight if necessary, "And I'm trying to figure out why this conversation suddenly became dangerous."

"Dangerous?" She said with an innocent smile. A smile that Kendrick knew better than to believe.

He decided it was time to stop being polite, "You have been looking into my business, you have investigated my work, and no doubt you are fully aware of the events prior to my arrival here. I don't take hints too well so why don't you spell out for me exactly what you want to know." He said in a hard voice and then grinned as he licked his ice cream staring into her eyes challenging her to meet him halfway.

She grinned, and the white fog again clouded her eyes, "As you wish. Cards open in this case." Her human disguise faded as her hair turned grey and while her face remained young, her skin was paler than usual. "My main goal is to keep Azjah safe, alive, and active in her business." He recognized her as Rhaine.

"And you consider me a threat?" She made no response, "Azjah is safe from me for the forseeable future."

"Gabriel considers you a threat, and I have to determine if you are a threat. I do think you have realized already that this retrovirus was a test."

"Yes. May I assume that it won't be used?"

She gave a cold laugh, "You may assume anything. I have no reasons to eliminate Dehtyars."

A strange weight lifted from him. "Then I won't need this." He placed a small vial on the table and slid it to her. It was a cure for the retro-virus he had created.

She laughed, as something that looked like white mist filtered into the vial, "Smart, human."

"Being paid to kill does not agree with me."

"So the three murders weren't paid for?"

He gave her a strained smile, "Regardless of what you may have heard, I am not an assassin. If you want one of those, Caleb Feren is between jobs I believe."

Her voice became quieter, "I know you are not the one who sent Azjah that dumb lipstick. You would have done better work with the poisons. And for assassins, I do not need any."

"Well I've told her this but for some reason she refuses to believe me. Hatred is a powerful motivator."

"She is human, and my vampire friends are extremely loyal to her. And I am someone who has to believe facts only."

"An interesting idea."

"What was behind these three murders? Was it some plot?"

Kendrick sighed, "The whole story will come out soon anyway." He steadied himself, "The former Kaiser wished Wolfgang dead, the two nobles that died were part of the plot. I am a patriot and Wolfgang is my friend so I ensured that my people did not lose their best chance for a better future."

"You did not get any orders from Wolfgang? Or any requests, or whatever form you humans use?"

"No. He would not have agreed to my plan. He was naive when it came to his father. He could not conceive that the old bastard would try to have him killed."

"So it was entirely your initiative. Would he not try to keep you out of hands of your local police?" she watched him curiously as her white fangs bit the golden trim on the white porcelain cup.

"He would have tried if I had remained. That's why I had to leave. He could not afford the scandal before he was on the throne. Why so interested?"

"I want to get the entire picture. My kin always work this way. To be honest, your skill has impressed me. I can not allow myself making a mistake and trying to eliminate someone without enough evidence."

Kendrick studied her, "Who are your kin...your vitals aren't the same as the gruesome twosome but you aren't human either."

"Are there only humans and vampires in this universe?"

"No, but that's why I am asking the question. You aren't the only one who is allowed to be intrigued." he said with a smile.

She smiled slightly, "Consider me a magically enhanced vampire. There are questions I can not answer, whatever-you-prefer-being-called. I am killable, unfortunately, though not by your means. If this answer does not satisfy you, I can be called one of your colleagues, with education from Psilons and at the same time skill of a mage.

"Interesting references. So, you spoke of a project earlier, what exactly are you working on?"

Rhaine smiled, "And you would be interested in working on something that isn't poison?"

"It would be a nice change of pace."

She nodded, "Good. When I get my friends off your rear, probably we will discuss it." She made another gesture and a glass filled with a royal blue liquid materialized, "Try it. It is harmless for human metabolism, eleven percent of alcohol."

Kendrick passed his hand over the glass scanning its contents with one of his implants. It showed no problems so he picked up the glass and took a sip. The taste was interesting, "Nice. What is it?"

"If you existed three hundred years ago, you would have had a chance to try it too. It's famous Mrrshan Blue wine. Which disappeared, of course, when Mrrshans were almost eliminated and Psilons left.

He glanced at his watch, he'd been here too long. Kendrick stood slowly. "It's been a pleasure. May I call you Rhaine?"

She stood, "If you wish to. What is the alias you prefer using?"

"Please call me Kendrick."

She nodded, "Pleasure to meet you."

"And you."

"You have already received a hint about possible future project. So, what your opinion would be?"

"I'd want to know more before agreeing to anything but I'd be open to a new challenge."

She laughed silently, "Do not worry, no murder is involved."

"Good." he said matter of factly.

"Do you humans have to need more hints! if something disappeared, and it is good, and it can be used or sold, why would it be wrong to try to drag it from non-existence?"

Suddenly it clicked, "The wine?"

She nodded, "Yep."

"Are you thinking of resurrecting extinct species or simply their alcoholic beverages?"

She shook her head, "No, by Midnight, not Mrrshans! but their wine was excellent, and I see no reason to keep from trying."

"Nor I, I suppose."

She shrugged, "The offer would stay open, and I would not be surprised or insulted if you decide to work only with beneficial military stuff."

"Lets see if I survive the next couple of weeks, then we will talk."

She gave him a broad grin, "Let's hope you do. I enjoy interesting projects I can discuss with at least someone. I'm sick and tired of having anyone do their trademark Moo-look when I mention anything more complex than a fireball."

Kendrick laughed privately hoping she would forgive him a "Moo-look" or two if she started talking magic to him, "Good afternoon miss Rhaine."

"Good afternoon, mister Kendrick." She made a gesture and the cups disappeared.

Kendrick walked out of the shop whistling. Rhaine's face creased with slight smile as she faded into thin air.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

As she came into the Red Dragon Inn, she didn't have even a chance to drink a glass of Chardonnay as Gabriel appeared. The vampire appeared to be surprised by her unusual quiet. Rhaine cussed in her mind. She needed a time alone! But it would have beeen idiocy not to try to pull Gabriel from the tracks of his victim.

She supplied the conclusions from her investigation, facts that led her to believing that the human was not the one trying to eliminate Azjah's husband. However this proved far from enough for Gabriel. Vampire seemed stuck on catching Kendrick. Rhaine cussed deep within. Trying to explain to Gabriel that dragging Kendrick to court could be nothing but a backstab to current Kaiser, was like talking to a wall.

Gabriel seemed surprised by the fact that she had a personal meeting with the criminal. Oh, she was sure that the bodyguard would certainly try to track her to the place where they sat chatting, and to the place where Kendrick might be hiding. She just knew that Kendrick was smart enough to keep out of "Fang Brothers'" reach. Where might he be hiding now, she wondered lazily. Probably somewhere far enough from the ice-cream shop. Three recent murders were ultimate argument for catching the man... Rhaine hated the situation. A foolish, selfless sacrifice - and normal human ungrateful attitude in a vampire! in someone she thought to have intellect and ability to think at least one step ahead!

Finally Gabriel's tone turned official. "Thank you for cooperation, Miss Rustovich" he said, and cold fury flared inside Rhaine. THANK YOU! Son of a....!!! Cretin of a bodyguard! She was about to scream at him that while he keeps tracking down Kendrick, the real threat might be ready and willing to take down Klinton and Azjah. But the priestess changed her mind. In the end, when a man is a stiff-necked idiot, there is no way to change him. That is the way of the males. She smirked, leaving the Inn. There is always Plan B, C, D...

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”