Marquess & Marchioness

Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

Illusia growled low, snarling at Sylus, “ave ye nae ana shame Sylus ta announce suc’ ta all that is present? Tis nae o’ anna concern o’ ye wha’ ‘appens in one’s bedchambers.”

Sylus shrugged, “I never said it was a concern. I was merely stating on why Klinton’s masculinity may feel threatened by Brigath.”

There IS no question about my husband’s masculinity, and the whole line of thought had degraded into a cesspool I would not foster. “Rhaine, what on earth make men so silly? Brig is my friend. Not my lover, nor my husband.”

She shrugged, I have no idea. Perhaps it hurts their pride when we decide we have the right to trust someone other than themselves? Or they think we have no right to friends? Some just think that women are to be on a leash and in a collar. Going everywhere with them only, talking only to them. Reporting every move and every thought.”

Klinton has never exhibited such ideas about our relationship, and certainly he knew when he married me I am not the meek submissive sort. I frowned, “He know’s I’m not like that.”

Klinton practically darted from his ring with Solace, heading right for me with an intent I could not read. He was furious, and I reached tentatively for Illusia. Sylus tensed, his expression saying he didn’t trust Klinton not to turn into a wife beater. As I touched Illusia’s skin, there was instant frost, and I withdrew my hand quickly as she rose to stand between Klinton and I. The very place I hadn’t wanted her to be.

Klinton stopped with Illusia between us, “Azjah, I suggest you excuse yourself. You win… we can settle this OUTSIDE if you like.”

I looked at him over Illusia’s shoulder as Illusia wouldn’t allow me past. The stalemate held as I begged Klinton not to hurt Illusia, but Solace taunted him to just try it. We didn’t need that tonight. No, I tried again to get past Illusia, but she stood firm and soon Solace joined her to keep me from his side.

Illusia suggest that Klinton give me a rational explanation for his behavior, but he was reticent to say anything in the room full of people. I told him all I wanted was a sane explanation, and his retort was cold, “You know me better than that. You have made me angry… and I am not sane when I am angry.”

Illusia prompted then, “Per’aps ye shoul oblige th’ lady Klinton o’er why yer mad?”

Klinton growled at Illusia, “Let me by so I can speak to my wife!” His face was furious.

I tried to convince Illusia that he would not hurt me seriously, but she wasn’t having any part of letting us meet. She could feel his anger, and she wasn’t taking any chances. Perhaps there is something in her past that makes her so wary of such anger as my husband was displaying.

Suddenly Illusia asked him in a whisper soft voice, “who was she?”

He backed away from her, “Get away from me, I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

She followed him, “I am sorry fer yer loss, but who was she? Yer pain is deep as tha rivers are lon’”

Gabriel became visible now, and his features were thunderously dark. He’d returned, and been watching this exchange for some time.

Solace continued to prevent me from moving around her as Illusia pressed Klinton for answers.

Something had happened that I was not aware of. Some woman had died, it was the pain Illusia kept pushing at Klinton about, but what woman??

At length, Illusia asked for permission to show Klinton the images she’d seen when she touched me of what happened that night I’d gone for a drink with Brigath. I consented. Then I watched with concern as Klinton turned in upon himself as the images replayed. Nothing had happened. Nothing untoward. It was as I had said.

In that moment of clarity, Illusia finally let me go to him. As I reached for his shoulder, he told me that the woman claiming to be his mother had died. I hadn’t known. I would never have gone with Brig had I any clue of her situation. The fact that she’d passed, and I was with Brig had been more than he’d been able to handle.

Now that the air was clear, we took our leave to return to the Palazzo. There were things we needed to talk out, and the Arena was not the place for it.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Red Monstrosity

I keep saying that I am going to bring my chaise from Twilight Isle on the nights I call for the Arena, but once again I have forgotten to do so, and now I am once more faced with this red monstrosity. I kicked it lightly to see if it was awake, and whether or not it is safe to sit down when I heard Cory, “Don’t provoke the couch Azjah. I speak from experience.”

I glanced at Cory, “You don’t expect me to sit on it if it’s awake, do you?”

He chuckled, “kicking it is likely to wake it up.”

I gave the thing a rueful look, “yeah, but I don’t want it to wake up and lick me.”

About then Kalinda arrived and I gave an experimental poke to one of the cushions, so far, so good, and I sat down rather gingerly.

Skyler, the troublesome youth gave me a look that would make most women’s skin crawl, “I like the way you sit down so gingerly, Azjah. It’s so ladylike.”

I was not going to prolong conversation with the boy who was deviant enough for me to be wary of him, so I simply thanked him and immediately asked Cory how things were going.

Kalinda came to stand by the sofa and I warned her about the nature of this piece of furniture.

She leaned into the couch with obvious indifference, “Oh, I dare it to. You remember that I want to purchase this couch someday.”

I flashed her a grin, here was my chance to be rid of it! “You can have it for the hauling it away, Kalinda.”

She brightened, “I can? Really?”

Nodding emphatically, “the sooner you rid us of this thing, the better.” I almost offered to deliver it.

She was positively glowing, “Oh, I shall have it gone by morning,” and I could barely contain my glee.

“You are welcome to it. I’ll have a new one delivered in the morning. One that does NOT lick.”

Cory suddenly caught on that I was arranging the removal of the brilliant red velvet monstrosity. “Not our couch, Azjah!”

“Cory, this thing is a menace!”

“It’s an artifact of our Arena. It’s protected, or something!” he objected.

I was not going to lose this opportunity, “the hell it is, Kalinda can have it.”

“Like hell she can!” He was growing almost desperate at the thought of losing the old sofa.

Kalinda pouted prettily, “I can’t? I offered to pay for it.”

I gave Kalinda a smile, “yes, Kalinda, you can have it, I’ll help you remove it.”

Cory grew quite obdurate. “It’s stayin’ put. Even if I have’ta chain myself to it or go on strike.”

I gave him a dazzling smile, “good, then Kalinda can have you too.”

Kalinda shook her head, “Oh, but Quinn wouldn’t like that.”

I smiled, “which is why Cory won’t chain himself to the menace.”

Cory headed into the back room, “watch me.”

I winked back at Kalinda, “the man is deluded.”

Kalinda leaned into the embrace of the sofa as Cory rummaged around in the back rooms. “I did mean to ask you what was all that about with the man the other night?”

I glanced sideways at her, “well, that man is my husband, and I never suspected he’d be jealous of Brigath.”

She became engrossed in a match, and I sipped the scotch thoughtfully until Corry emerged with a whole staff of Harris’ cardboard Xerzes. “I’ll make tha’ couch swalla’ ya both whole!”

“Yeah, yeah Cory.” I am not worried now that the couch will have a new home.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Firestorms to come

Klinton walked in some time later, and I warned him about sitting on it. He gave me a playful leer, “well, apparently it licks in the right places. You seem to be enjoying it.”

I glowered back at him, “I hate this sofa, I’m giving it to Kalinda, and having another delivered tomorrow to replace it.

He sat down beside me, draping an arm around my shoulder, “so now that I have made a fool of myself after last night, how you doing?”

I snuggled against him, giving him a quick kiss on his cheek. “I never thought Brig would bother you like that. I’m sorry.”

He kissed my forehead, “It’s all in the timing my dear. Any other night would have been fine.”

I smiled up at him, “well, I didn’t know, and Lucien was with me. What did Illusia show you?”

He sighed, “she showed me what happened with you and Brig the other night. I never should have doubted you.”

I shook my head, “Your mind was elsewhere, and Brig and I have an unusual relationship.”

He smiled, “it’s not that unusual.”

I chuckled remembering Brig’s words, “No? Just so you know, he was worried about it.”

He shook his head, “I’ll talk to him.”

I held his eyes with mine, “He’s a good man Klinton, he wouldn’t do such a thing, just so you know.” Then with an impish smile, I added, “but, Brig’s taste in scotch is pretty good!”

Klinton gave me a rakish grin, “I do have to say though, that you’re absolutely stunning and that any man would be stupid to not want you.”

I could feel a blush creep up my throat, “but you’re the poor soul who got stuck with me.”

Our evening ended on a peaceful not, with no warning of the next firestorm about to engulf us.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Several days had passed since I’d found myself in RhyDin with leisure time, and tonight I returned to the Annex to see what the latest news was. I walked in shedding my cloak and ordering a glass of scotch from a serving lad before looking toward the caller’s couch, where Rena and Sylus sat.

As I contemplated finding a table or not, footsteps behind me announced the arrival of another patron and I moved further inside.

It was Klinton walking in still perspiring from an earlier match, “Boo!” he said as I started from my own thoughts.

I asked him if he was going to join me, or if he’d planned on a fight. He’d decided to join me, and I noted the wookie approaching Rena. We sat down a fair distance from the caller’s couch and the serving lad retrieved a second glass of scotch for Klinton. We toasted Caleb and Anne’s wedding, and wished them long years of happiness together.

Klinton sipped his scotch and then set the glass onto the table, “I had an interesting conversation with Vincent, Azjah.”

I quirked a pale brow at him, “Oh? I have had several, but I would not call them interesting.” Vexing? Yes. Interesting? No.

He nodded slowly, “he gave me some conditions, and if the conditions are granted, he will drop the suit.”

I could feel my whole body tense, “conditions?”

Klinton continued, but already I could feel my blood pressure rising. “He’s just telling us what he would like us to do. If we meet them, he will drop the lawsuit, which means Anne will have custody. That’s what we want, isn’t it?”

I leashed my temper tightly, “Klinton, why should Vincent have ANY say about anything to do with Anne’s children?” Why should Anne negotiate with Vincent when he has no claim? No grounds?

Klinton shook his head, “He cares for them. He honestly sees himself as their father.”

I frowned, “Klinton, I’m not so sure about that. I don’t believe he’s got their best interests at heart. I think he’s trying to get them for that Temple.”

He sighed, “I think if he were going to hurt them, he would have. It’s not like he hasn’t had the opportunity.”

I could feel my tenuous hold on my temper slip a little as Klinton tried to put an acceptable light on this travesty of Vincent’s making. “He can’t just take them to that Temple yet, but why the sudden interest in them? He didn’t even want them before.’

“I don’t know Azjah. He seemed pretty convincing to me,” he countered.

I got as good a grip on my fury as I could before asking him what his terms and conditions were.

Klinton sipped the scotch before continuing, “Three conditions. 1: he wants his name on the birth certificates as the father. 2. He wants granted visitation offsite and unsupervised. And 3rd, he wanted to be referred to at their father, even by the children.”

I slammed the barely touched scotch glass hard against the table. “NO! NO, No, and NO again!” Fury got let loose in a rush hearing the demands Vincent wanted now. What the devil kind of amoral jerk thinks he can force his way into Anne and Caleb’s life like that?

Klinton leaned back, “I’m the messenger Azjah. Just presenting his conditions.”

I exploded, my own husband delivering such utterly preposterous demands? “That man has NO claim to those children. Who in the name of Hades does he think he is making those kinds of demands?”

He took a sip of scotch to try to hide a smile.

“Klinton, you cannot even mean to give those to Anne!”

He shrugged slightly, “I told him I would tell her what they were.”

I groaned, my own husband working to further Vincent’s obscene claims. “Simply unbelievable! The chutzpah of that man never ceases to amaze me! So what? Caleb is just a non-entity? What about his rights in marrying Anne?” Caleb was willing to claim those children, an d had the sanctity of wedlock to back up his adoption claims. Vincent had a couple of weeks of protecting the children while Anne tried to deal with the malicious magic of Nadine’s witch.

Klinton gave me a level look. “It’s not like he wouldn’t be able to see them. Anne would still have custody.”

But I still felt Klinton was missing the point, Caleb wanted those children, and Anne. If Vincent gained his demands, Caleb could not adopt the twins. It is a crime in the making. I tried again, “Unsupervised? Would you want to send your children off with someone of Vincent’s ilk?”

Klinton’s answer was shocking, “I have to say that Vincent is very good with those kids. I believe he does care for them.”

“That is simply NOT the point!” and at that moment the Annex doors slammed open as Caleb entered, and made a direct line to Klinton. Caleb grabbed Klinton by the collar, “you can bloody well send your own bloody kids craven!” His fury was much darker than my own, and having Caleb as an enemy isn’t something people should seek out.

Klinton stood and faced Caleb, “I am simply stating his wishes. That is all. Do not think I am the enemy here.” But sadly my husband was not just stating Vincent’s obscene demands, he’d been arguing FOR the wretch.

Caleb vibrated fury, “you are now craven, you yourself said you would allow your kids with that twisted git.”

“Those are not my kids. It is not my decision,” Klinton soothed.

Face spoke up uninvited, and with his usual animosity toward me announced that he would prefer seeing any children with Vincent over Caleb or myself. I closed my eyes before responding, “Well Face, they are not yours, so it doesn’t matter, does it?”

“They are not yours either last I heard,” he shot back.

I looked at Face, “and they will remain Anne’s if I have anything to say about it Face. That is where they belong. With their mother, not with that vile wretch Vincent.” He hadn’t been there, he didn’t know the story and history, and yet this Jedi who claims to value truth ignores everything except my anger over Vincent’s temerity.

He continued, “I don’t think Vincent’s conditions had anything to do with them leaving Anne.”

So there it was again. Complete disregard of the root cause of the problem. Vincent has no valid claim, but those three demands would give him a claim and given Vincent’s duplicity, his next move would be suing for custody if Anne lives. The Jedi steadfastly ignores whether the plaintiff has any grounds for these actions, nor the immorality of his suit.

Caleb and Klinton argued and I gave up trying to get them to sit down and discuss things quietly.

Even Klinton was ignoring the fact that if Vincent gets these concessions, he’s set up to demand more from Anne, and take the children from Caleb if Anne’s found guilty again.

Klinton finally sat down, “Azjah, realistically, if Vincent had not filed for custody, and simply asked for visitation to the kids, what would you have said?”

I gave him a cool look, “Vincent has no rights to those children. If he wanted to come and visit them, and Anne agreed it would be Anne’s call, but his demands are so far beyond belief, I cannot believe his nerve.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Klinton regarded me almost sadly, “so we hate Vincent now because he wants to see the kids? He feels they may be safer with him than with her?”

“Not at all. ‘I’ despise him for the pain he’s causing Anne.” If Anne had not come to me in tears as she had, begging me to help protect her children from Vincent, but rather had been happy with this, I would have no qualms at all. It is his complete disregard for Anne that I fight now.

Face wanted to know if I fought for Anne, or against Vincent. I gave him a quick glance, “I am for Anne, and what she wants. She’s the one who came to Twilight Isle in tears asking me to do something.”

He nodded, “Vincent asked that he sees the kids because he feels he has been a father to them. Klinton, your husband respects that, and trusts him. If Anne agrees with that to avoid trial and keep her children, what is vulgar about the conditions?”

“No Face. You didn’t listen to the demands. He want’s HIS name on those children’s birth certificates. He wants to be called their father when he is not, and Anne was extremely distraught by the actions of someone she’d once called friend. But you didn’t see any of that. In fact, all I see in Vincent’s demands is a prelude to further trouble from him.”

Klinton spoke softly to me, “I admit, he may not have gone about this very well at all. But, I see his motivation, and I cannot argue with that.”

I gave Klinton a disbelieving stare, “I can Klinton! He is NOT their father. He has no claim to make such demands. If Anne wishes him to see those children, it is HER call, but he has no business trying to force her. It is Anne’s decision who’s name those children should have, NOT Vincent’s.”

He set his glass down, “well, Vincent doesn’t see it that way. So he’s going to do everything he can.”

I muttered at him, “well, then Vincent is stepping on territory that is not his affair.” I grabbed my scotch glass and began pacing along one wall of the Annex.

Klinton continued, “Azjah, obviously I am going to tell Anne what he said. I would like to at least tell her that before you speak to her about it.”

I was simply furious with both Klinton and Vincent, “I trust you will not try to convince her that it is a good proposal? Because it is not!”

Face tried to engage in the discussion again, admonishing me not to tell Anne it was a bad idea, but that would be a cold day in hell! I will have the attorneys explain very clearly just what power she’d be giving Vincent if she were to agree to those terms.

Klinton rose and very slowly moved toward me, “Azjah, don’t get me wrong, I am all for the family staying together. Anne with the kids, but if we lose the case, then Anne doesn’t see them at all. Do we really want to risk that?”

I whirled to face him, “Even with such demands Klinton? Can you in good conscience be for it in those circumstances?”

He sighed, “Azjah, that is why I don’t have children. I could never make that decision. I can certainly see Vincent’s point of view, that’s all.”

I had to stop myself from throwing the glass I held in my hand against the wall, “well, I cannot see his point of view at all. He is not their father, never was. It’s not like he has any interests beyond those of a friend Klinton!”

He gave a vague shrug, “but he has interest. I honestly think he cares for them, in which case, he has a LOT of interest.”

I vehemently shook my head, “not at the expense of Anne. No friend has that right Klinton.” And, I resumed pacing.

Klinton walked beside me just out of reach, “and never in any of this have I called Vincent a friend. He cares for the children. I’m not saying he’s Anne’s friend.”

“Good! Because he is no friend, despite his having once so claimed.”

Klinton continued to push Vincent’s side to my vexation, “If I were him, I’d be worried I’d never see the kids again, which, from the way the circumstances are looking, he wouldn’t have. At least this way, he is able to see them, which is all he wants now.”

I stopped, “No Klinton, that is not all he wants.” Why couldn’t he see what Vincent was setting up here with these demands? And what single man cares so much about another’s children that he couldn’t bear not to see them again? This is abnormal beyond consideration.

“He wants as much attachment to them as possible, including his name,” he defended.

“That is simply outrageous!”

“So that he can have a part in their lives,” he finished.

I muttered and walked away from him before turning, “If I were Anne and Caleb, I would not want that under-handed monstrosity anywhere near those children after this.”

He nodded, “which is precisely why he wants all that, so he can get near them. Hell, he’s cared for them before. If he was going to harm them, he would have.”

He came and took my hands into his, and I placed my head against his shoulder. Vincent is a duplicitous wretch who I will not trust, I can only hope the attorney’s will be able to convince Anne not to accept these demands. We went home to the Palazzo.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

On a wild guess, I stopped at the Dragon’s Mark, where I found him. Our argument resumed right where it had left off, and once again it ended with him walking away into the night.

I followed him out this time, “Klinton, I can’t reason with you when you walk away like that. I don’t want to fight with you, and I DO value your opinion, but your words stunned me.”

He simply kept walking.

“Klinton? Stop, please.”

He turned, pausing briefly as though he were expecting me to continue, “I’m sorry you are angry with my decision.”

Still no response.

“You know the silent treatment and walking away from me won’t resolve this.”

Finally he spoke, but his words were not helpful, “I am simply not voicing my opinion Azjah. Apparently it doesn’t matter at all. Even when I did tell you what I believe, you still only believe what you want, putting words in my mouth. Honestly, I wash my hands of it.”

I was shocked at what I was hearing, “is that really a solution?”

I would rather keep my mouth shut, than have you change my words and make me look like the bad guy.”

“I am only telling you what I hear!” He had admitted he could see Vincent’s side, and that made him an ally of Vincent, and Anne didn’t need that.

“Then you are not listening,” was his counter argument.

“Klinton, I can’t reason with you when you walk away like that. I don’t want to fight with you, and I DO value your opinion, but your words stunned me.”

He shook his head, “Azjah, I do not feel that you have made any attempt to reason with me at all. I actually believed we had that sorted out last night. But you did go behind my back to the lawyers and that stunned me as well.”

I felt almost as though he’d struck me. “Klinton, I tried to explain to you that what he wants puts him in a position to take those children legally from Caleb if Anne loses her appeal.”

He stopped me, “Azjah, this is honestly giving me a headache. I cannot deal with it anymore tonight. Just go home, okay?”

“And where are you going?” I was afraid to ask, but had to know.

“I’ll get a room,” came his answer.

“I’m certain Dyson can have your old room ready. Good night Klinton.” I turned and headed toward the car. Once inside, I glanced at Lucien, “It’s going to be a long night, and he’s not going to come home, is he?”

Lucien’s black eyes met mine, “no, he will not. Not tonight.”

Lucien was my comfort and company for the remainder of the night. I did not have Dyson prepare his old room since I knew it would remain unused.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The next day I busied myself in work, and nearly forgot the tournament for the Keeper of Water key.

As I reached the Isle and sat down beside Brigath, I couldn’t help but wonder if Klinton would come home tonight.

Cory arrived with Kallie and the two of them were enjoying their ice cream as I fought Xerzes in the first round of the tournament.

Lucien was present, but lingered out of the visible spectrum for the evenings match ups.

Cory’s situation had been clearer to me after Lucien and I had spent the evening talking and I told Cory that Lucien had heard Anjolie’s discussion with the Scot’s man Moyrloch.

“Cory”

“Yah?”

“I did a bit of thinking as Lucien and I worked on that bottle of scotch about our discussion.”

He smiled, “good, good, think ya might’ve seen a compromise?”

I smiled, “actually, it was about something Lucien heard Anjolie say. And I’m afraid compromise is not really in my vocabulary.”

His lips curled into a smirk, “now, ya know, Azjah, marriage is ‘bout compromise.” I tapped an elegantly manicured fingernail against the glass, “but who needs compromise? And at any rate, what Lucien heard may shed a bit of light on one or more of your theories.”

He was trying to clean up a spot of dripped ice cream off his leg, and I couldn’t help shudder knowing that such a spill would utterly ruin most of my clothes. “I’m no’ th’ type who prys into otha’s bus’ness, bu’ I think this time I’ll set my beliefs aside, bu’ iffin ya will ‘cuse me, I need to get this one cleaned up’n reada fo’ bed. ‘N get a clean change of clothes fo’ ma’self.”

I nodded, “good evening Cory. Information is a valued coin.”

He nodded and hefted his daughter onto his shoulder, “gotcha, I’ll be back.”
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I sipped my scotch as the waves washed peacefully over the sand, resting my head against the chaise until I heard the easy rhythm of the waves get disturbed. Opening my eyes I found my husband tossing shells into the retreating waves before laying himself down into the sand, face up.

“it appears you didn’t get much sleep.”

He didn’t look at me, but at least he answered, “what gives you that idea?”

“You look terrible and you didn’t come home,” I told him quite simply.

“I look terrible? Thanks, oh darling, supportive, wife of mine. And because I did not come home, does not mean I did not sleep.”

I frowned at his response, “well, you do. I’m sorry that offends you.”

He waves a hand dismissively, “it doesn’t.”

“You planning on sleeping here in the sand tonight?”

At that point Cory had returned wearing fresh clothes.

Klinton shrugged slightly, “If the spirit moves me, I suppose.”

I was growing impatient, “don’t you think that’s a bit silly?”

“I’m to the point of silliness I suppose. Who knows what I’ll do,” was his caustic response.

I just shook my head, telling him that it was indeed the question of the moment, and then reminded him that there could be no resolutions as long as he slept in the sand and didn’t discuss the rift growing between us.

“There hasn’t been much resolution with discussion Azjah, so screw it.”

Cory approached us tentatively, dipping his hat, “evening ya two.”

Just as I was about to talk to Cory, Klinton answered me, “I do not support him Azjah. I just think he cares for them also, and I’m not even upset about that disagreement.”

I focused on Klinton, “well, then I have no idea what you are so bent out of shape over.”

Klinton remained prone, “well then, I guess I am sleeping here. Or somewhere else.”

I frowned at him, “you have a perfectly good home, and a perfectly good home, and a perfectly good bed to sleep in. This is foolish.”

He stood up as Lucien solidified and began talking to Cory. “Rest assured Azjah, I am NOT being foolish!”

I turned and looked at him, “well Klinton, I’m not clairvoyant, and you’re not talking, so if you want to sleep in the sand with the sand fleas rather than your own bed because I have no clue what you’re ‘on’ about, it’s your call.” This had gone far enough.

He threw up his hand, “Azjah, I have told you my issue.”

Anger reared it’s head again, “What Klinton? That I had the effrontery to do what I thought was right?”

“That you did it behind my back!,” he charged.

My voice lowered, “I told you I wouldn’t talk to Anne until after you did, and I have not!”

Klinton shook his head and headed for the portal in silence.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I sat talking with Cory after his discussion with Lucien, and as the night drew onward, I left Cory to consider what Lucien had heard, heading for the Outback as I suspected Klinton might seek out Matt.

Pausing inside the doors, I found him talking to Matt, and I descended the stairs moving toward where Matt and Klinton now sat talking, and I heard Klinton say, “Listen, I’m a bit embarrassed to even mention this, and that my relationship with my wife has come to this, I need a room.”

I paused in front of Matt as Klinton looked at me before adding, “indefinitely.”

Without returning Matt’s smile, I held Klinton’s eye, “why Klinton? How does that solve anything?”

Matt glanced between us before saying, “ahhh, yeah. Sure. There’s a few folks staying here already, but there’s more rooms.”

I shook my head, “shall I have Dyson send your things?”

Klinton nodded his thanks to Matt, then looked back at me, “It doesn’t solve anything except keeping us apart.”

Matt made a strategic departure ostensibly to retrieve a room key for Klinton.

I gave Matt an apologetic smile, “you appear to have gained another beneath your roof.” I then gave my husband a cool look, “I’ll have your things sent to what ever room you are given. You won’t need to come back for them.”

“That would be wonderful, thank you.” Was his only reply.

Matt took his time rummaging through drawers as I held my ground, “you do realize if you do this, the Palazzo doors are henceforth locked.”

He sighed as Matt kept a respectable distance from us. “If that’s the way you’ll see it,” he pulled out his keys and I gave him a cold look before turning on my heel and walking out.

As I stepped into the cold night air, I thought I’d heard him call my name, but Lucien and I headed to Dragon’s Mark. I walked through the empty Great Hall. Lucien remained silently in attendance, but otherwise completely silent.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I don’t know how long it was before Klinton walked into the Hall, “you forgot to take the keys,” he prompted me.

I didn’t turn around to face him, “I did not forget.”

“Well then, you didn’t take them,” he commented as he remained just inside the doors.

“I did not. I do not want them.” It was getting harder for me to keep talking to him.

“I would imagine Lucien will come for them at some point. I suppose if this lasts a few more days I’ll be considered a threat.”

He knew Lucien was close by, why he chose to bait him I will never understand. “Not necessarily” I answered. “No one said you had to leave.”

“Could e really live together like this? Why didn’t you tell me about going to them Azjah?” He moved slightly in the gloom of the unlit hall.

We discussed my choice at length before he told me he wished I’d told him of my plans. He said he would have recommended Anne speak to the lawyers too, but that he thought he had my word not to mention it first. “I am not on his side Azjah. I simply understood how he could want those kids in his life.”

His words earlier belied that, but he continued, “I told him straight up that the worst decision he made was to go about it this way.”

I looked at him in the gloom, “Klinton, wanting the children is one thing, but slandering Anne? Telling everyone that she’s unfit? I cannot see how wanting the children equates to doing anything to get them.” Vincent is setting himself up to win those children at all costs. If Anne is acquitted, he gets to establish himself as the father and go after them later if he doesn’t like how she’s raising them, and if Anne is found guilty, he gets them over Caleb.

Klinton gave me a patient look, “I know what the terms mean. I know what he’s doing, and I do not agree with it. I DO believe that he would care for them, and I understand you disagree with that. I DO see how he feels. He wants the kids! I can understand that. Just because I see his side does not mean I think he is at all right about it.”

We were at an impasse, and very quietly I asked him how do we resolve this?

He sighed, “I don’t think there is anything to resolve. We disagree, that’s it. I don’t even think we disagree, we just see things a bit differently.”

I remained silent so he continued, “It does not mean that I am hoping Vincent will get these kids, nor does it mean that I am on his side about it.”

I moved away from him, “I do not understand why you did not simply tell Vincent to take a hike.”

He frowned slightly, “I hadn’t talked to him, this whole time. He approached me. I didn’t know what he’d say, so I listened.” He was quiet for a few minutes, “I’m going to spend a few nights away. Absence makes the heart grow fonder.”

I turned toward him, “and you agreed to deliver that vile set of demands… Klinton, that is what I don’t understand.” I also could not understand why he wanted to deliver such demands in an even manner. His announcement that he was leaving for several days hurt, but all I could say was, “I see,” even though I do not .

He remained where he was, “I said I would. So I did.” His expression softened, “I love you Azjah. I cannot bear being near you like this.”

I put a strong leash on my emotions, “I have not stopped loving you.”

“I know you haven’t.”

We were talking, I wanted to keep that going. “I spent last night with Lucien talking,”

He had started to say that he hadn’t stopped loving me either, but wondered what Lucien and I had talked about.

“I tried to find out why you prefer to walk away rather than talk, why you spent the night away rather than come home, why anywhere else is better than with me trying to work things out.”

He shrugged, “we were not sorting things out, we were simply escalating. That is why.”

I took a deep breath, “so you’re going to move into Matt’s place?”

“Not move in. I need a few nights.” He shot me a smile, “Wanna stay with me?”

I shook my head no simply because I couldn’t trust myself to speak.

“I look at our arguments and they are totally about someone else’s life, not even ours and it tore us apart. I have never been in a position where someone else’s life could tear mine apart.”

“It was not the goal,” I whispered.

“I know it wasn’t the goal. I want to get back to us. Not worried about others. I want to get away from the Palazzo. Come, stay with me. Just you and me. And when we are centered on the two of us, then we’ll concern ourselves with helping Anne.”

I couldn’t. I could not drop everything to join him. Softly whispering, “You do not think we can do that at home?”

He moved closer, and I felt like a deer in the spotlight, “I want to get away from that environment. It will be fun Azjah. Whether you come or not, I would like the time away. It will be easier to focus on us, if it is only us.”

I wrapped both arms around myself.

“What do you think?” he prompted me.

“I shall leave you alone tonight, there are things you will need from home. I will bring them rather than have Dyson send them, and we shall see.”

He nodded.

“Klinton?”

He looked at me, “Azjah?”

“I do love you. Please don’t forget that.”

“I was just about to say the same to you.” He wrapped his arms around me, and I rested my head against his shoulder.

“Good night then.”

“Good night my love.”

I stepped out of his arms, “tomorrow then.”

He nodded and reluctantly let me go. I watched him leave the nearly empty Great Hall, but only after the doors were closed tightly did I permit a single tear to slide slowly down my cheek.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Gabriel
Adventurer
Adventurer

Hunted

Post by Gabriel »

The trail of Kendrick Albrecht has grown quite cool, but the man is still lurking in RhyDin. I have found places he has been, and some of those places are only recently discarded. He knows how to keep moving, and that is the thing that keeps him alive for the moment.

My return to RhyDin was remarked by the vampiress, and her interest in the man remains. She has a certain respect for what this human can do in terms of chemistry, but she's agreed not to interfere with my plans for the former Earl. In fact, she's going to consider it a test for him. If he's not able to evade me, then he's not the man she wants for her next project.

Fair enough, but the former Earl will not get away. Not now that I have a fresh lead on him.
Gabriel Datrazanov
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Time has a way of healing most wounds. The 'tomorrow' we'd parted with had turned into days, and I could not bring myself to go to the Outback, to just 'get away, the two of us', and I was somewhat surprised when next we met that it was to reconcile, and return to a peaceful coexistance that both of us need.

We may never see eye to eye on the events that nearly rent the fabric of our early marriage. But, if time and space permit such healing, we should be able to manage in a relationship that simply cannot be undone. A peer does not have the luxury of divorce.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”