Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Gabriel
Adventurer
Adventurer

Preparations for Departure

Post by Gabriel »

They have to leave today, or they will not arrive at Court as demanded by HRH. The Marchioness has run non-stop, but Dyson has already sent her things ahead to the “Star Dragon”. Departure is scheduled for this evening, and I will have the time needed to properly investigate the footprints.

Lucien is going with them, and understands the need to keep her there as long as possible. Should I confide in Mr. Caer?

Duchess De Winters, Kaja Adair, Gnort Talanador Dragoon, Anne Xile and Caleb Feren have all been advised of the departure plans. It is up to them to be prompt. I expect that ship to be starward bound by 8:01 PM.

Our uninvited guest Nadine, continues to vex me. I wonder if I can needle Rhaine into taking her for a few days.

Laughter dark, velvet, and full of dark intentions echoed in the underground study.
Gabriel Datrazanov
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Another piece into the puzzle

Post by Rhaine »

She was tired and vexed by the need to use precise magiometry to devise the ward system for the Temple. So no wonder she agreed to duel Azjah's bodyguard. Few things help to relieve stress better than a good spar in the rings...

Gabriel and Rhaine circled in the ring. The world around them ceased to exist for the two vampires. A dual lunge... Bodyguard's rapier thrusted deeply into her thorax. Rhaine used no armor... she could care less, but the wound was way too deep, reaching to deeply hidden blood vessels. Gabriel looked at the dark violet-crimson drops on his blade with slight surprise. He seemed to sense the scent of her blood... and she knew what it meant. Another piece to fall into the puzzle the vampire had been working at.

He tasted the liquid. Rhaine smiled to herself. However, the fact that he got the smell and taste of it, was draining her strength. Had Gabriel known a bit more of life magic, had he much better analytical abilities, the puzzle would have been solved. She knew that a normal vampire had no chance for such ability... but still the slimy cold feeling crept into her.

In the last round Gabriel tagged her neck, visibly tempted to continue the cut into beheading her. Vampiress' voice was a tired laughter.
"That would have been no use, Gabriel"

She walked out of the ring, and almost dropped on her chair. Gabriel, the vampire bodyguard, slipped out after her. Danger! Unknown! Well, I will show you what danger means, should you go too far, she thought.
Gabriel
Adventurer
Adventurer

More Pieces of the Puzzle

Post by Gabriel »

The Vampiress had come to the arena, and her mood spoke of short tempers, a need to vent, and a weariness that went beyond bone deep. He'd watched her for a few minutes, they'd exchanged barbed words and he smiled inside that she was ready to bare her claws and be serious. Precisely the reason he invited her for a duel.

They'd exchanged cuts and parries, but the first dual thrust sent shock waves through his senses. She bled! His blade came away with a deep violet crimson color. Deep within that external form of a vampire, there were blood vessels that still pumped blood!

He tasted the liquid upon his blade, watching her features as he did so. The scent, the taste, they were something he'd never experienced before. They were uniquely intoxicating.

The duel continued, and late in the match, they met once more in dual thrusts, and he slid to the hilt of her blade to be face to face with her, a slow smile curving his lips as he once more could scent the unique blood that was hers.

He'd not cared who won or lost the match at that point. He had new clues for the puzzle that was Rhaine Rustovich.

He followed her from the ring, her fatigue was a palpable thing, but he slid into the shadows to consider this new bit of information. Black eyes watched the vampiress. (vq) "just what are you?"
Gabriel Datrazanov
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

I realized I might have seriously vexed Gabriel , but I needed to have a chance to get in touch with him any time, not just when he is at Arena. Pale mist of my "true form" touched his hand, taking a scan and a sample. Now I could get to him.

And after certain events of weekend I needed Gabriel. Even if it was not in his plans to do anything useful.

Grinning wickedly, I initiated search sequence.
_________

Rhaine.
Gabriel
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Gabriel »

Lucien had searched the rest of the house on Rigel for poisons, and no more were found. Suspicion rested on Katarina and her brother due to their mysterious disappearing, but Lucien and I know that neither one was the would be assassin. Each had been a spy in the house, but they had nothad any knowledge of the poison or how it was delivered.

Baumann had put out the word that a new lady's maid was needed, and the field had been narrowed to 3 young woman. Two of them smelled of the Imperial Palace, and were probably replacement spies.

The other had come from the northern lands, and was not from Court at all. Her I trust the least simply because so little is known about her. Known spies can be dealt with, it is the unknown ones that can present the greatest dangers.

Lucien's package arrived. It was time to find the Vampiress, Rhaine Rustovich.

I had found her in the Outback. The woman likes verbal spars and chess matches better than even I do. But that night, I needed to pick her brains about a subject she understands much better than I. Biochemistry. Oh, I have studied the basics and can tell more than the average human can, but the subtleties, the nuances need someone with a better background. The unique little things for those, I need Rhaine Rustovich. She knows more than a simple vampire about life chemistry. Much, much more.
Gabriel Datrazanov
Gabriel
Adventurer
Adventurer

Puzzled Out

Post by Gabriel »

I walked out of the shadows to find the one I sought engaged in a duel. As she finished it, I congratulated her on the win in a voice so faint, only she could have heard it. Her equally faint reply confirmed that she would take my lead and maintain the privacy of the conversation. She is intuitive.

She was drinking coffee, something a vampire would not do voluntarily, and I asked her why she did.

She shrugged, "mainly for the scent of it, it has no effect, but I like the smell."

Still, while I may like the smell of many things, I do not ingest them. "What about the chemical incompatibility?"

She chuckled, "Gabriel, chemical incompatibility is for those not too good with their own biochemistry." She was admitting that she could control the chemistry of her makeup. This is not a vampiric ability. From my research, this suggested something else entirely. But suggestion and reality were not yet determined.

"Interesting. Do you alter the chemistry of the coffee to be more easily absorbed, or do you alter your ability to metabolize it?"

Any decent mage could alter the coffee, it would take a life mage to alter her own clinical processes. Something much, much more complex, and dangerous if one was not very, very good and careful.

Her answer was nearly inaudible even to me. "My ability to metabolize it."

I wonder if she made that admission because she thinks I have not put 2 and 2 together, or did she give me one of the last pieces of the puzzle because she suspected I already knew. I will never know. She likes complicated discussions too much. After considering her words carefully, I asked her if that ability to control her own chemistry could be turned around and modified to create a toxin designed for just one person.

She frowned a little as she studied me. "You have someone to eliminate?"

I gave her a non-committal shrug, "Is it possible to be so specific?"

Smirking, her reply was affirmative as though such a question were elementary. So, she did know much more than she let on. I continued with my 'innocent' questions, "could such a thing be traced to a maker?" If this kind of poison was so specific, it should contain markers that would point toward the maker.

She frowned, "well, depends on the solution they used. Right off the top of my head I can name two or three possible solutions to design such a toxin."

She might be able to help find the source of the poison, which just might lead me to the would-be assassin. "So the base formula might indicate the originator.” It was a statement and not a question.

She drummed her fingers lightly on the bar top, “let’s see, in case it is using some sort of combination of markers, yes. A biochemist is like an artist. There are a variety of solutions, and what I consider a good one, someone else would consider weird and unusable.

I smiled inwardly. Her opinion confirmed that she had first hand knowledge of such poisons, and understands them intimately. I pressed again, “so if you know enough about the biochemist, you could determine who made the original?”

She gave me a slight shrug of boredom, “why not?”

“How difficult is it to make such a thing?” My curiosity was growing exponentially as she continued to reveal more about herself and her abilities.

“Depends on your skill.”

That failed to tell me much, except that she felt she was more than mediocre at it. “Alright, let me ask it this way, how difficult is it to make a toxin that only affects one entity, has no odor to humans, and harms no one else?”

She gave me a long assessing look. “If it’s using a set of markers, I’d say access to certain equipment and on Fieras it would have been Masters in Molecular Biology, on Mentar, it would have been a 6 year degree.”

Fieras? Mentar? She knew enough about their training programs that it is possible she spent time there. Another piece of the puzzle that will mean more investigating for me just fell into place. “So it would take a fair number of years of study for a human to be that sophisticated.”

She nodded, “for a human at least. Also, it would take gaining a sample of tissue of the victim. Small sample.”

I stiffened, “Always?” How had they gotten a sample of the Marquess’ tissue? Hair? Saliva from a glass? There are so many ways to get a small sample that contains DNA.

She looked at e with an air of smug confidence, “usually. I could do it without, but that’s me.”

So her talents are strong, and her confidence supreme. “How many are there like you?”

She gave me one of her trademark evasive answers, “depends on the area you search.”

I smirked, “Let us modify the query, could you tell if someone like yourself made this one?”

She laughed, “of course. There would be a similarity that would catch my eye.”

Now, based on that answer, there were probably a few more around like her, but they are very rare, or, she is utterly unique – doubtful.

I asked her if she could still analyze it after it had gone into a carrier.

“If you have at least one molecule, or one microsphere with it, yes. But if that was used on a human, I doubt any of my colleagues did it. We seldom take interest in dhoine.’

Now I was very curious. “Interesting. I have more than a molecule, but it has been applied to the carrier, and I was not certain it could be appropriately separated for analysis. Lucien said it adheres to the pigments in the carrier, and why not?”

I knew she harbored little respect for humans, I hope she never has to learn the lesson Lucien and I did go gain some respect for human ingenuity.

She smiled slightly, “And why yes. What do dhoine kill for?”

I laughed. True to form. “they kill for assorted stupid reasons, but why would your kind not bother? Would one of yours sell such things?”

She was disdainful of the idea, “it is uninteresting. Standard tasks lack challenge.”

I prompted her again, “provided a market existed?” There had to be some who would sell such things if for no other reason than enjoying creation of death.

She insisted her kind wouldn’t be interested because dhoine have nothing to offer, and the rare one who did was not interested in refined assassination. Then she added, “who knows, there are other reasons why one of my colleagues could interfere. I can never say for sure unless I see proof.”

My fingers curled around the sample as I asked her if she would tell me if it was an associate or not. She gave me a level look, “I have no reason not to tell you.”

I pulled the silver tube of lipstick from my pocket, tossing it to her using preternatural speed, and like a vampire, she caught it with ease. She gave it a slightly suspicious look, “The carrier?”

My answer was a single nod.

She opened it, her eyes covered over with a pale mist, and a similar looking mist spread from her fingers to the contents of the silver cylinder. Finally she looked up at me, “the solution lacks certain features. It was not a colleague of mine.”

My hope was drowned in that reply. “that is too bad.”

She gave me a curious look as she resealed the sample. “A dhoine would have needed damn excellent education and great capabilities…. Probably a team, but I’m not sure.”

I took in her words. It was a complex creation, and then I asked her if it had any markers or identifiers. Could she match it if there were other samples provided.

She said it was difficult to describe, but she could identify a different version also made by a dhoine.

I grew silent and pensive. Another sample. How to get one from the dead men?

Rhaine’s voice broke into my thoughts, “this talk of ours, it would have other consequences, would it not? If I am correct about your intellectual capabilities.”

I looked slowly at her, “many. I think tonight is the first time you have really told me anything. I am not certain I want her to know I have puzzled out just what Rhaine Rustovich really is.

She gave me a slow smile. “I told you more than many know.”

Returning her fanged smile, “A talk with you is never dull, and tonights was enlightening.” Now the question was, would she regret her disclosures enough to try to come after me?

I held out my hand for the sample, but as she handed it back to me, that damned mist touched me as well. In that instant, her thoughts were crystal clear, “born and inspired by the dance.”

Are you such a one Vampiress?

She shrugged, “Depends on your point of view.”

“It is your point of view I am interested in.”

“You have it. Probably not born for it, but born anew.”

I gave her a single nod.

“That is as much as you can get to know without getting to closed sources of information, and you do not need to know more.” She informed me.

I shifted from the bar, “I may not need to know, but perhaps I wish to know more?”

I faded from the visible spectrum. There would be a price for her to pay for taking a sample without asking first.

Her voice was barely audible, “You are as curious as one of us, vampire.”

Just to bait her, I answered back, “and what are you?”
Gabriel Datrazanov
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

She was sitting quietly, watching the duels, when Gabriel walked out of shadows. Rhaine nodded at him, while his eyes surveyed the room. Ideal bodyguard, she grinned to herself.

"So how long did you study on Mentar?" the vampire asked in a quiet voice. Aha, he did look up the names of worlds she had mentioned in their previous conversation, and of course bothered to research why and how she spent time there. Fieras could give him no clues, so he focused on Mentar.

"Not for long. I did not get to appreciate the joys of student life all that much" In fact it had been two years in the Planetary University, instead of six years of studying and three more for an advanced degree. But she had little time. Probably these psilon nerds have recorded the strangely fast rate at which she absorbed knowledge...

"The records seem very short for such mastery. Interesting place for a human to study," Gabriel remarked. Of course it was interesting. So the vampire knew that she passed as a human in psilon records.

"Why interesting? Just the best univeristy one could get to... at least during those years," Rhaine's tone was half-bored. To her the decision to study at Mentar was the ideal one. However Gabriel's curiosity was unwelcome. She went to Mentar after spending some time on Fieras and feeling that local universities could not provide enough. Years after Initiation... time of insatiable hunger for information.

"Humans are not generally successful there, are they?" vampire's voice was quiet. He seemed to prefer private conversations.

"Anyone lacking in aptitude and memory is not very successful there"

"You were surprising I would imagine."

It was time to cut it off. Especially with Vanion present in the room, and his delightful ability to poke his nose into matters that mattered to others. Rhaine walked up to Gabriel, her voice took icy tone. "I would be more concerned with your boss having a skilled and intelligent enemy," she almost hissed these words.

"Yes, but finding out whom is the challenge," the bodyguard replied.

"So don't spread your attention all that much, you are wasting time digging for info on Mentar"

"You consider it a division of resources," statement or question, but his slow smile irked her. If the vampire allowed Azjah to become target of the poison's author... one mistake and the human female would be dead.

"Yes I do consider it a division of resources. With an enemy of that scale, digging up useless information is irrational," Rhaine maintained ideally calm face. Probably her serious attitude to the problem pointed Gabriel's thoughts into the right direction. The vampire crossed his arms - quite an impressive sight with his height and build.

"That serious then," he spoke. A dark scowl crossed his face. "is there such a thing as a universal antidote for this kind of poison?"

Rhaine cussed in her mind. A thing like "universal antidote" sounded like a bad joke. Especially with the type of poison they were dealing with. She could have tried to design a magically-active antidote, but it would have been a project to spend more than a week on. Did she have this week?

"So this kind of poison is hard to counteract," Gabriel stated. "What would you require to try?"

The problem was, every biochemist would design a poison of this type differently. Even the active groups would differ for each author, only some generalized features would have remained the same. Deactivating poison and not harming the living being... that was curious.

"I'm working on getting other samples," vampire said quietly. "There were two other deaths. Mysterious."

She frowned. "Do they look similar?"

"Yes"

"What do you think was the carrier? Was it something that had color?"
She thought of concealing the toxin with melanin-type pigments. Gabriel ran a hand through his hair - probably showing maximum concern or doubt.

"Wish we knew. Doubtful. There was no lipstick on either man," he said. Rhaine tried few more guesses, but what could she do - she was light years away from Rigel. Even the results of tissue sample mentioned by Gabriel, could only provide partial information....

"I would not poke my nose into this... the danger is for your boss, Gabriel? Someone tried to eliminate her?" vampiress asked. That was the main question. Azjah? Or someone less important?

"Not precisely. They tried to use her to murder the Marquess. The toxin was aimed at him."

"Do you think she can be next target?"

"All of the peers are at risk. For some, it's the only way to the crown. But to answer your query, yes."

Crown or not... the Marchioness and her project in RhyDin were rather important. Rhaine could not allow this potential to be lost only because some assassin had plans involving having Azjah and Klinton dead.
"In this case you can count on my assistance," she spoke calmly, and basically disregarded word of thanks from the vampire. The threat was yet to be eliminated.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

If my mood could be called anything but horrible, it was "self-destructive". The slight depression from having finished the wards (normal depression after finishing some complex project) turned into a heavy fog clouding my senses. I needed a distraction. I needed to find out of the new samples arrived. I needed to learn more about the environment where the poison came from.
Led by these grim thoughts, I walked through shadows, piercing the wards. It was about noon, but I could wait. It just would be much easier - waiting for the vampire to wake up and not trying to catch him awake.

I passed the warding and security systems, not caring much about alarms being triggered. The touch of my true form is a mark very hard to remove, so I warped into his room. The vampire looked so peaceful in his lethargy... I sat down on the floor, and rested my head against one of bedposts. Time is infinite... at least for a being of my kind."
Gabriel
Adventurer
Adventurer

Intruder

Post by Gabriel »

The night before had been very enlightening. I'd sought rest from the effects of day in my suite of rooms at the Palazzo. I had the place to myself as Lucien was enroute back from Rigel.

I'd created the resting place deep underground, and with my defenses in place, had rested. To anyone watching, I would appear dead. No heart beat, no respiration. No movement of any kind. My body would be cold to the touch, but I have no visitors to worry about.

One heart beat.

A second heart beat.

Black eyes snap open much too early. The sun was still high in the afternoon sky, I knew it as well as I know my name. There was someone in the room. Someone who'd triggered the alarms.

My speed was slowed in the afternoon lethargy, but it was still faster than a human could react to, I rolled and grabbed the dagger beneath my head, ready to sink the blade deeply into the intruder's heart.

There, to my utter amazement sat Rhaine.

"What in the name of Asmodeus are you doing here?!" Anger black and dangerous swirled in my gut. How dare she? What drove her to come here and risk all out war with me for this intrusion?
Gabriel Datrazanov
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Intruder

Post by Rhaine »

"You sleep so long, Gabriel. I was almost falling asleep by the time you woke up," my tone was toxic. "I do not wish to waste time and try to hunt you to obtain information. Where has this toxin come from? What is that society like? What are the courses like in their university, I mean the ones on subjects like biochemistry and molecular biology? How readily available the necessary equipment is? Do you have the new samples to show? How readily would an enemy of that class and scale follow his prey into another world?"

I knew how vexed Gabriel was, but could this mockery of a bodyguard realize, that in such cases, with such enemies, a day's delay could be fatal?! I looked at him, trying to suppress a slight smirk at the sight of a dagger in his hand. Azjah and her weapons - these were a part of our plans. While there was a danger to them, I was locked to being an ally of this curious, aggressive, and sometimes funny vampire... Tonight I had to contact Lynnie Althos and her clone-brother Keith - it was time for these two to get to work. The sooner I had the necessary info, the better.
Gabriel
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Gabriel »

Thunder echoed in the room. How DARE she? Summoning myself to my full height I glowered down at her.

"I usually sleep UNDISTURBED woman."

She dared intrude and then give me a hard time about sleeping?

Her next words stopped me cold. "I do not wish to waste time and try to hunt you to obtain information. Where has this toxin come from, what is the society like, what are the courses in their university, I mean the one's like biochemistry and molecular biology, how readily available the necessary equipment is, do you have the new samples to show, how readily would an enemy of that class and scale follow his prey into another world?"

Her questions fired at me in non-stop succession. She knew how angry she'd make me by just showing up here, and yet she did. She must have serious concerns to come here as she has.

I ran my hand through my hair, focusing on her questions.

"The society of Rigel is used to high tech products and support. That is where the toxin was used, and probably manufactured." I paced the room, still glowering at her.

"The courses are in depth and very up to date. High tech work is a hall mark of Rigellian expertise. They use chemistry to alter looks, moods, memory, actions. It's a specialty of the world. They train many of the great minds throughout the galaxy."

She wanted to know about how readily such equipment would be available, and that was a tougher question to answer, "The universities of course, but they are closely monitored. There are 6 conglomerates where most of the chemicals of that family could be produced, and about 100 or so chemical experts who could craft such a complex poison."

"The samples are enroute as we speak, which I might add, is WAY before I should be awake!"

Thunder echoed again as rain began to pelt the windows with a fury that matched his mood.

"Rigelian enemy would not find time or space prohibitive if they seriously wanted to end the life of their quarry. Given the method employed, I'd say that enemy is probably prepared to follow."

Turning deadly black eyes on her once more. "Any other questions before I escort you OUT?"
Gabriel Datrazanov
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

I love seeing him so infuriated. Perhaps in the visible spectrum the picture is not as beautiful, but my odd eyesight supplies me with delightful images of vexed Gabriel. I wonder if he knows how I love vexing him. I hardly concealed a smile.

So Rigel it is. I cussed in my mind. I have seen a few pro's from Rigel. Three centuries ago top technology had been priviledge of Mentar, but psilons left after the infamous Siege of Fieras. However Rigel is not some top-secret place, so my agents would be able to obtain enough info... Hope they won't be too late. I would also try to get samples of work of a hundred or so specialists he has mentioned. Lynnie would be excellent cover for such an operation... Gabriel has confirmed that an enemy from Rigel won't stop... a biomage should not stop either.

"No need to escort me out, Gabriel. I will be leaving sooner than you think. Sweet nightmares, my dear vampire"

I stood up with fluid grace of a cat but with vampire speed, almost brushing my head on his hand with a dagger. Blowing him a kiss, I stepped into a rift which dissolved in the air right after I passed it. Without slightest touch to his warding.

I made it back home via a series of rifts. Who knows, Gabriel might try to track me and try to screw my head off. In the quiet of my hideout I activated the terminal, and called Elynne Althos. It was time to go info-hunting
Last edited by Rhaine on Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

It took me a while to relay all the necessary information to Lynnie and to get all the files I have requested. Luckily, unlike many of my kin, I have never had qualms about experimenting on my own mind and body. Adjusted memory structure proved to be extremely beneficial.

So, humans caught up with the psilon university, and in some courses even surpassed the race of great researchers. I browsed through endless files, processing the information at the speed a normal human would consider at least weird. Who... who DARED to step in my way?

New files arrived, and I stretched. Crap... megabytes after megabytes. But at least I was able to locate the correct charts and tables. There were several companies which could have had access to the necessary equipment. However without samples of their work I would be able to do nothing... By the Midnight, Gabriel, why do I not have the samples you have promised!!! I could have Lynnie making an order in these companies, and compare the manner of work. That would have told me more than enough.

However one question plagued my mind. Why would a company try to eliminate Azjah or Klinton? Or someone... made an order? just like I was going to do?

I will never know until I dig some more in the files. And until I see the samples.
Gabriel
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Gabriel »

The intrusion of Rhaine into my personal resting place irritated me. If she could get there, Lucien and I are not safe. A solution had to be found.

I set new traps around our quarters, but the one I particularly like is the rift gate. If someone opened up a rift here, mine will automatically open in front of it, and send the would-be visitor into the desserts of Auriga. With a satisfied smirk, I set about checking the house for traces of more poison.

Confirmation of the samples due to arrive from Rigel had reached me when I heard Dyson answer the door, and an all too familiar voice requested to see me. I met Dyson in the hall just as he was turning away from my visitor. "You have returned?" I find it curious that one time she enters freely without invitation, and the next time, she arrives as a proper guest. Curious.

She gave me a fanged grin, "Of course. Would you expect other reactions to information I had been processing? You have not mentioned the political mess there, and the recent assassination."

This conversation did not need to be held in the foyer with the house staff listening. I nodded at Dyson and invited her into the Great Room. "No, I have not mentioned the political issues of Rigel. What reason would you have for requiring that information?" It is of course public knowledge that she has accumulated, but I enjoy pricking the woman when I can.

She sighed, "By the Midnight Gabriel, do you really think someone trying to kill Azjah's husband would only have personal motives? I wouldn't exclude personal motives, however. These humans are so...." her voice trailed off in another sigh.

With a vague shrug, "I have no doubt you know the Kaiser was murdered, and it is a similar MO."

She looked up at me, "was the Marchioness involved in any political turmoil there? Anything like a power struggle that could drag her in?"

I could feel my features harden. I would not discuss the Marquess and Marchioness' involvement in the politics of Rigel. There are too many ears around. "The Marquess and Marchioness embrace the future rather than the past."

She frowned, "so, there is a chance this attempt has some political stench to it. I have found several companies that have access to appropriately trained professionals and good equipment. However, my agents had not time to check out behind the local scenes, so not too sure if any could be connected to this."

So, she had been researching diligently, this is promising, "Possibly . There were 3 murders and one attempt."

"Three," as she began to pace back and forth. "Did the samples arrive?"

"They are due today." I watched her agitation rise, "why the hurry?" What I really want to know is why is she working so hard to help resolve this, but I cannot just ask her.

She stopped pacing and looked up at me, "I do not wish to have to hurry later. The sooner I find where the problem comes from, the better. More chances to stop it cold."

All perfectly logical, but still didn't tell me what I want to know. "They will arrive on the next flight, due in later today." They are actually tissue samples, but I do not believe that will bother my guest much.

She nodded, "my agent will be making several purchases on Rigel for me to compare manner of work for different teams and different companies. She will use null-port to send them to me. If we need any more information, I can give you the contact, so that there's no need to wait for ships."

She pulled a notebook and wrote the contact information down upon a slightly silvery parchment, "any of them would be functional. Her name is Elynne Althos."

So, her contacts are capable of reaching Rigel, and she's trusting me with a name and contact information. This is an odd play for my elusive and evasive vampiress. "I presume you will come for them, or shall I have them delivered to you?" Let us see if she will tell me where her lair is.

"I will come for them. And if you use Lynnie to get something else for me, I would just get the shipment in my lab."

So, this Lynnie knows where at least the lab is secreted away.

She continued, "Is it common for Rigelian nobles to take interest in large companies and manage them?"

"Yes, technologies are strong. The universities put out some of the finest scientists in the universe." In fact, most of the technology companies are owned by the peers, and many are managed by peers, serving on multiple boards of directors. Yes, the nobles of Rigel have a virtual strangle hold on technology on Rigel.

She chuckled, "finest after the psilons left. I've been wondering if any psilon renegades aided with the rise of such an excellent school. So if there is no Rigelian nobleman in the head ranks of a company, there is one behind the scenes?"

I haven't looked into how Rigel rose to pre-eminence in technology and biochemistry, but if psilons were involved, it should be buried in the records somewhere. I told her yes to her query about the peerage and the companies.

She sighed, "crap. Do you have a chance to check that out?"

I agreed to look into the possibility of psilon assistance, then asked her if there was anything else. As vexing as the woman can be, she never demurs or behaves in an obsequious manner, which is refreshing if unexpected.

She shrugged, "not anything else has given me as much headache. I will wait for the samples and for Lynnie's orders."

The samples should arrive around 4:30 PM, and I informed her of that.

"Good to hear, and one more thing, based on what you said, keep a close eye on anything the Marchioness touches."

It was an odd thing to hear her say. Why was she supporting the Marquess and Marchioness? I smiled slightly, "Yes, Lucien and I have kept an eye on everything since their return."

She startled me with the next question, "why are you working for her? I doubt money is something that matters here."

I felt myself stiffen involuntarily. "We have reasons Vampiress. Reasons that honor and lives spared require." I did not want to go into the reasons Lucien and I have for providing our protection to the Marchioness.

She quirked a brow at him, "and you do not feel comfortable telling me about it then?"

I gave her a long, searching look; "It is not something we discuss much. Why would you know?"

She gave me a gallic shrug; "You are not the only curious vampire here. Admit it, situation of two vampires of your.... ability.... serving a human - that is rather uncommon."

I remembered a scene from a movie, giving her a fanged grin, "I could tell you, but then I would have to kill you."

She was truly taken aback. "Why? Because otherwise I would know enough to try to kill you?"

My attempt at humor had failed, but I laughed, "it is a line from a movie Vampiress."

She gave a startled blink, and whether it was because I had tried to use humor, or because she thought I knew, she said, "I.... I cannot watch movies."

I apologized for my sad attempt at humor. It is something I have never been very good at.

In that time, she'd admitted something to me that she did not freely share with others, and I relented a bit, "You want to know why we are here. It is something few would understand."

She looked back at me, "what makes you think I would not understand?"

Lucien and I have walked the lands for almost 2000 years, our lives are precious to us. "There are something's that have a value too high to have a price. Loyalty as well as Luciens and my lives have such a value to us. Our Prince had sent us to Auriga. There had been rumors of renegade Carpathians; most would call them Vampyre. Few recognize the differences between a Carpathian and a vampire." I paused, this is a story few know, and telling it makes me uncomfortable.

She smiled slightly, "my colleagues do not have the term vampire, but I think I understand what you mean. I am sorry that I have taken that sample. Please do continue. I apologize for interrupting you."

I gave her a stern look, "it was rather unsporting of you, and there will be a price to be paid." I grinned before continuing, "because people do not make the distinction Lucien and I found ourselves part of a sophisticated 'witch' hunt for the true vampire that had been stalking the people. Auriga is an agrarian society. Where the sophistication came from is still a mystery."

She shuddered slightly, whispering "witch hunt" and I suspect she had endured such a thing herself.

"Yes, we were hunted and taken, an unexpected turn of events for a rural culture."

She blinked, "how could they manage it? Daylight?" Her curiosity was quite genuine.

"Someone, probably a Master Vampire, had managed to turn us over to the people, holding us to be the source of the deaths. It was some form of energy draining device, never seen it before, and never seen it since. We became sacrificial lambs so to speak. The scape goats."

She bit her lip, "rational of him to do that, but not very ethical."

I laughed dryly, vampires have no honor. Ethics are something they lost when they lost their souls.

She tried to tell me that not all vampires are as I see them, but every one the Prince has sent us after has been precisely as I described to her. I told her that Lucien and I are 'hunters' in our society. I explained how we'd been taken, and handed over to a lynch mob for ritual burning at the literal stake with the rising of the sun and she shuddered again. "They had a set of stakes ready, we were bound to them with silver laced ropes, the wood for the pyres had been stacked and doused with accelerant. The sun was about to rise, and they meant to keep us in the sun while they lit their pyres. The Marchioness arrived. Neither Lucien nor I remember much. We'd been blooded; drained to the weakest I can ever remember being. Did you know that by leaving many small wounds, none life threatening, you can bleed us to the point of incapacitation without killing us? We were tortured to that point."

She swore in the Dark tongue of Cania.

I quirked a brow at her, "what would you expect from a treacherous renegade?"

She realized now why Lucien and I provide the Marchioness our unquestioning loyalty and protection, and I added that she'd come alone, faced a mob intent on our destruction, and all for two beaten and tortured creatures she didn't know, let alone recognize. Two creatures who could have turned on their benefactor for her trouble.

She thanked me for the answer to her question, and so I asked her why she hides what she is. Her answers surprised me, but I have promised her that what I know if my information alone. She trusted me enough to give her full, real, true name. Mages generally will not do that. In turn, I gave her mine.

A most interesting woman.
Gabriel Datrazanov
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

Is there a way to explain to another how beings of my kind live and feel? We know no life or death - for us there is no definitions of such. How can someone like Gabriel understand the path of being bound to life magic, when it becomes a part of you, fuses with every tiniest particle of your being and changes you? Can any of them understand what the Trance is, when your mind is set free, and functions at impossible speeds, solving problem after problem, without confines of stereotypes? How could I describe the additional senses we get with Initiation, if most of them can hardly fit into human words?

I couldn't answer even the simplest question if I've ever been dead. What is death - destruction of body? In this case I have been dead many times. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. What does pain me greatly - the need to hide... The true loneliness - when you know that others would either try to use you, or try to burn you. When the dhoine see your ability to heal, and realize how dreadful it might be when you revert it... Their fear and aggression. Their hatred towards anything they can not understand. I remembered how I tried to use my custom-designed body without the protective shell, and it ended with naive attempts to dodge plasma charges - it was too alien for humans to look at it and tolerate my presence. Alien!

No one would believe him in any case if he tries to talk too much. What human would believe a vampire?

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”