Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

New Events in the Nexus

Post by Azjah von Drachen Walde »

The Arena was just beginning to get busy when I arrived, and found Xenograg in the volunteer’s couch. It had been a long time since I had seen him, and we greeted. “I trust your travels have been successful?”

He nodded, “very, in fact.”

The man is always moving, always on the go, and I would have liked to talk further, but Dimitri arrived, and seemed very surprised to hear that fire has struck in New Haven. Rhaine was also shocked to hear about the fire. I’m surprised, with as many deaths as were associated with the arsonist attack on Baron Maxiumus’ home. Rhaine muttered something nasty under her breath as Dimitri lamented “what is this city coming to?”

The faux Farek arrived, seeking duels, but he was lucky and found one as the elven Warlady arrived. She was greeted by both Xenograg and Rhaine. I had recently learned that she lived in New Haven as well.

Xenograg was preparing to depart, and so when he asked if I would be willing to fill in, I agreed.

Rab arrived, and in his usual jovial humor inquired how I was. As I told him I was worried, he pulled up a chair and inquired why. “Arson.” I told him, then proceeded to inquire about his association with Max. He was as perplexed as the rest of us as to what the purpose of the arsonists activities might be.

I left him to change and returned from the back room in time to see Rhaine greet her brother, but he appeared to be extremely exhausted, dropping onto the chair like a dead weight. She inquired if he was tired, and he smiled, “tired, yes, a late night last night, but things are underway.”

I bid Xenograg good evening and heard Rhaine tell Vitus that she’d obtained a particular gem. “Even without having to teach someone a useful lesson.”

Vitus appeared to be somewhat disappointed, “that easy, was it? Oh well, I should be happy.” He told her he needed a drink, and that he could barely hold a blade, at least for sport. And then, the duels began to come in, and I had to focus elsewhere.

When next I looked up, Vitus was tearing strips of fabric from a ragged gray and red robe, wrapping them around his bloodied hands. Rhaine was shaking her head, “Knight solution. Let me take care of your hands Vitus.”

He grabbed the hilt of a sword he carried, testing the grip in his wrapped hands, “no need, this will do just fine.” Somehow, that gesture of male stubbornness reminded me of Klinton. They’d rather do it themselves than admit a weakness sometimes. He looked at the bindings, as though checking to see if blood had seeped through, “it’s fine, Rhaine, I will live.”

She shook her head, “You’ll live, but I dislike seeing your hands wrapped like this.”

Farek came in seeking duels again, and as I tried to get him a match, he snarled, “I assure you, I am the one and only, woman.”

Sliding a cool blue gaze over him, “You have yet to convince me imposter.”

He snarled louder, “Not even my utter dominance of Alais and Tommy and my brilliant comeback against the mallet wielding eccentric?”

Shaking my head at him, “That is no proof. You are not the Brigand I knew.”

Rab chimed in, “He sounds the same.”

Rhaine invited her brother to dance in the ring with her, and I heard him tell her that he was still rusty, and that he didn’t want her to have to fix anything else. He’ll learn about the healing wards of the ring soon enough. Vitus won the match, and Rhaine told him he should have shut her out. I have to laugh, sometimes there is simply no right answer. She grew instantly hot when he suggested she use a lighter blade next time to even things up, and called it the use of an excuse for losing. Somehow I suspect Vitus was having too much fun baiting his sister.

Vitus grinned at her, “next time use a lighter swords, and to make things more even, we will find a caller that is less attractive.”

I lifted my gaze to his, “such pretty words Vitus.”

He chuckled, “Pretty words hide a dark heart.”

That seemed to make Rhaine even more angry, “we will go outside NOW, brother, and see what we can do without a caller, and without your excuses for not shutting me out the way a Knight should!

He shook his head, “Don’t pretend you were never a Knight, Rhaine. As long as it has been for me, still knocking the dust out of my ears.”

She calmed somewhat, accepting a glass of Liquid Fire. I chuckled, “That was a nice win Vitus, you have some skill with that blade.”

He nodded, “I had to test it, and I could think of no finer test than sparring with Rhaine.”

I kicked off the stiletto heels, glancing around the nearly deserted Arena as he inspected the newly forged blade. Rhaine was looking with some disgust at her cup of coffee, “Someone should try importing good coffee here.”

Daigotsu arrived, and I could see her brighten at his appearance.

Rising, stretching, I told the room that if no one was going to use the rings, I was finished for the night. But, Daigotsu and Tasslehofl stepped into a ring. Their conversation was odd, as Daigotsu told Tass “You’ve become rather… popular as of late it seems.”

Tass bowed slightly, “All for the greater good, Milord.”

That in itself was odd. Tasslehofl is lord in his own right….

“Rash none the less. You would bring a mob on yourself if you are not careful.”

He told Daigotsu, “I shall be careful, Milord.”

“My faith in you being careful is fading. You had better think harder before you become the end of us all.” Daigotsu told him in a reprimanding tone. “You could have picked a younger being. I’m surprised you’re not in a wheelchair.”

“There is great power here, Milord, once the body is healed.”

Daigotsu then asked, “and yours is where?”

“destroyed” was the gravelly answer.

Daigotsu snarled at him, “you should be relieved I like my own body. Too tempted to end this…. Headache.” He left the ring abruptly.

About then, Vitus began speaking to his new sword, “shhh.” He muttered, standing abruptly to draw the blade and lay it upon the table, whispering to it. Finally, as Rhaine summoned a dark rift, Vitus rose and threw the blade through the rift, “I told you to shut it!”

I blinked at him, and glanced at Rhaine. Vitus smiled at me, “sorry, I haven’t had my medication.”

I gave him a non-believing smile before rising and headed to the back room to change. At last, walking out of the back room in pale blue silk suit, I pulled the three platinum picks from my hair, letting it cascade around my shoulders, “Well, That was a long night,” I said to no one in particular as I headed for the callers sofa and grabbing the remains of my scotch.

Rhaine seemed disappointed about her loss to Vitus, but as she asked me if I agreed, Vitus spoke up, “She lost to a dusty old Knight that has been in the ground for nearly two hundred years.”

I smiled, “Ah, but from what I heard, you believe as a Knight of Midnight, he should have bested you.”

She grinned at her brother, “He should have shut me out.”

Vitus can be a very smooth talker, and at this moment, he’d turned that smooth talk on Rhaine, but she’s not believing a word of his flattery. I asked her, “are all Asmodeans such smooth talkers?”

Vitus chuckled, “There are some that confuse me with a Snake at times, but no, not all Asmodeans are smooth talkers, most Knights lack eloquence.”

I sat down into a comfortable chair, “and you gained this eloquence of speech by….”

He stood with a smirk, “have you ever tried talking a woman into a life of unyielding servitude? Takes some talking.”

Apparently he’s had four slaves that he’d not paid for, simply talked them into their status. I do not agree with slavery, and am absolutely certain that no man is worth selling your very soul for, under any circumstances.

Rhaine departed, leaving Vitus and I alone in the deserted Arena. We spoke at length about slavery and power.

We discovered that we had both been to Underdark, but his reason for going was again slaves. I told him I could never accept the society and how it treated the males there, and that it was a world of stark beauty, and unspeakable cruelty.

Vitus looked at me, “yes, it is, but I can be a cruel being, and in some ways, I could admire the extent of their cruelty, but I can’t respect a race that teaches their men that their women are superior, or vice versa for that matter.”

I asked him if he knew how Vicar Raevyx had escaped that world, but sadly he had not met Raevyx, telling me that he’d been brought into the Asmodean fold after his “death.” It was a subject he was pained to discuss, and I apologized for bringing up painful memories. He blinked, “No, it’s fine, I have to learn to cope with it eventually, anyway, can’t let it rule me.”

I smiled, “No, you cannot, but you do not need a prying woman treading unwarily through your memories either.”

He chuckled, “It was a prying woman that saved me at one time.”

We sat and talked far into the wee morning hours. He was surprised to learn that Iggy Vossen was here as well as Vanion, and that RhyDin seemed a strategically ideal place for expansion of the Armies of Midnight.

We spoke about the Myr’Khulian’s, and rumors that Vanion was working on a new project. Vitus gave me a cold smile, “Then it is good I have been working on a few projects of my own.” He didn’t wish to go into any details about his project, and thus I did not press.

Rhaine had granted him rights to her hideout, and so he had a place to stay. I laughed as I told him about how Rhaine upsets the twins. I gave him a bit of the history between Lucien and Raevyx, and Gabriel and Rhaine.

We spoke about his family, he has three sons, and a woman who’d borne them had disappeared with his grown sons. There seems a coldness about his view on his offspring, but he was clear, “They are adults now, and no longer needing of my care, but I think they left with their mother.”

He told me that he and Rhaine were not fraternal brother/sister, but rather blood brother/sister, which explains why they do not look anything alike.

As I got comfortable in a chair near Vitus, I asked him about his earlier comment regarding the strategic possibilities of RhyDin. He leaned back, “well, from what I understand, this is a nexus, and travel to different realms is much easier here. The Temple of Asmodeus is falling in Clandestine. It is nearly a dead religion. The upper ranks are riddled with greed. I think the Grim Lord has given up on them. So, RhyDin could be a jumping point for the Army of Midnight to gather, and launch assaults on our enemies in other realms.”

I pondered that a moment. There were an increasing number of realm runners in RhyDin. Nexus points are useful, and dangerous.

He continued, “And, we can bring back converts from other places to be garrisoned here.”

I looked at him, “You’re looking to form a new temple, as Vanion did.” It was a statement and not a question.

He nodded, “We have no desire to lay claim to this place, if that concerns you. In fact, having the Army of Midnight based here could benefit the populace here as well. Construction has already begun.” He did his best to try to re-assure me that we would have nothing to fear from the Asmodeans moving into RhyDin.

At length, he asked me what my company did, and I explained to him that I was a weapons and explosives manufacturer. He grinned widely, “then, you should only benefit from having us here.”

I gave him a soft laugh, “That is only if I garner the business from your legion.”

I showed him the handgun I always carried, and the small glass sphere of binary liquid that I made for Tareth Thorn. He was a bit puzzled by them, and so I did invite him to come to the plant for a demonstration of both articles. He felt they were rather small, but he was used to broadswords and magic.

As I set about returning the DE to the shoulder holster, he grinned, “got anything else in there you want to show me?”

I laughed, sliding the glass sphere back into my pocket, “No, nothing else hiding in here, although Klinton believes I’m a walking arsenal.”

He gave me a piercing look, “You sure?”

I raised cool blue eyes to him, “Yes, I’m positive about what weapons I carry.”

He chuckled darkly, “I wasn’t referring to weapons. At any rate, I think the Legion and your company could benefit highly from a co-existence here.”

I laughed as I buttoned the silk jacket, “I know you weren’t. But then, some men would say a woman’s charms are a double edged weapon. I would be happy to discuss business with your Legion.”

He told me the new Temple was being constructed in the north, deep within the mountains and well beyond the city limits. They did not wish to draw their wars into the city, nor the city’s wars into their Temple.

It is certainly not good business to destroy the city from which you hope to have goods and services provided, and they sound as though they would prefer not to have the city’s politics intruding on their affairs.

We agreed to meet again at the plant, where I would show him how to use my form of weaponry, and with that, he walked into the night.

The city has become an eclectic gathering of the widest assortment of creatures. I wonder how long it can maintain it’s aura of tolerance and acceptance. Glancing up at Gabriel, I locked the Arena for the night and returned to the Palazzo.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Baroness von Drachen Walde
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Options

Harris. Harris is such a character! I arrived at the Arena to find him prowling the room, with a mischievous glint in his eyes. He muttered as I entered, “Azjah, you know, I was having a fine time before you showed up. Last time I checked, this place doesn’t have cameras, and yanno, Klinton’s not here to protect you from my wrath. Which is, quite wrathful.”

I quirked a pale brow at him, “Harris dear, do you think I require a man to protect me?”

He grinned, “When it comes to me? Yes.”

I laughed, asking him what it was about him that made him such a threat.

He blinked, “You mean you don’t know?”

I sent Hubie for my scotch, “I know you’re tied and bound to Stick, you have a son, you love to taunt everyone and everything.”

He grinned, “Yeah, but everybody knows that. It’s common knowledge.”

I smiled, “well Harris, I have no reason to know more about the usual MO on you.”

“THAT’s why I’m dangerous,” he crowed. “Don’t worry, one day, when you’re older, you’ll understand,” he told me.

It was a very slow night, with only Harris for company until Kina arrived.

Harris was lamenting not having a duel, and I told him it was too bad Farek was not about, for I was certain the brigand would oblige Harris. He grimaced, “Farek’s a meaniehead.”

I laughed, “Nah, he’s a pussycat.”

Harris chortled, “I want you to tell him that the next time you see him. Ten dollars says he insults you. Wait, I mean, ten silver nobles, rather.”

I wasn’t taking that wager since Farek would insult everyone, no matter what the scenario.

Harris mused, “What the hell is the exchange rate on a damn silver noble anyway?”

The doors pushed open, and there, at the top of the stairs stood Anne. Her eyes bandaged, as well as her nose, and she used a cane to feel her way for the railing to descend into the room.

“Anne?” She stumbled on the stairs and I leapt from the sofa and ran for the stairs, wrapping one arm around her, “where have you been?”

She hugged me back, “I’m so sorry, I’m so, so sorry….”

We were blocking the entry and I whispered, “come on, we can’t stay here.”

She smiled awkwardly “I’m supposed to be dead right now.”

“Well, thank goodness you’re not!” and we headed into the room.

She heard Vanion challenge the room for a duel, and she agreed to face him. In her condition, I was worried, especially with Vanion’s usual penchant for violence and inflicting unnecessary pain. Caleb lead her to the ring before he headed for the bar.

Vitus arrived shortly thereafter, and I greeted him as he walked toward the bar. Anne made her way slowly to the couch, kneeling painfully, and I reached for her shoulder, “right here.”

She sounded heartbreakingly sad as she asked me, “can you ever forgive me?”

I knelt down beside her, “You need never ask,” and hugged her soundly.

She was exhausted as she said, “I want this all finished Azjah, to you think they will hold me in contempt? For the trial I mean?”

I promised her we would finish it, and she sat down gingerly on the sofa with me. As I looked up, Vitus was watching us, but had coughed hearing Vanion say that he didn’t kill elves, and I smiled, “When you have a moment Vitus, I’d like to introduce you to my friend, Anne, after you get that drink you don’t have yet.”

He grinned sheepishly and then nodded, “at your convenience.” He walked toward us, and Anne tensed as she felt another body nearby.

I took Anne’s hand, “This is Vitus Rustovich, Rhaine’s brother. Vitus, this is Anne Xile.”

He bowed low in an old world courtly manner, “good to meet you Anne.”

Anne grew curious, “She never spoke of you, though I’m sure she had her reasons.”

Vitus chuckled, “Like many, she believed me dead.”

Anne moved over to make a place for Vitus to sit. “So, are you in RhyDin visiting her?”

He sat down slowly, “actually, I am seriously considering staying. There are a great many things to interest me here,” as he shot me a wink.

They talked for a few minutes, and I told Anne, “I think I’ve interested him in the explosives end of my business Anne.”

She frowned, “Azjah, I believe we will have to find a way around that contract.”

I glanced at her, “I’m certain we can Anne, why?”

“My current condition is not about to improve. Frankly, I’m useless.”

“Nonsense!” I objected as she called herself useless.

She frowned deeper, “My world is void of sight, I’m having trouble getting around, and it is taking time to depend on my other senses. I can't do any of the stuff I used to. I can not lead major shipments, I can not file paper work, and learning Braille is going to take a very long time.”

I glanced at Vitus, “there are options Anne.”

She continued, “Azjah, from a business point of view, it would be unwise to keep me as your Manager for Shipments.”

“We can find other things until you have a chance to decide.”

She was confused, and Vitus added, “I have found that trust can be far more important than ability in some cases.”

I glanced thankfully at him, “Vitus, Anne here has been my friend, and my shipping manager. Unfortunately, she has been the victim of a vile necromancer.” The absolute hatred I feel for Black and Nadine inflected my words as I realized Vitus was a Necromancer. My words would be offensive, but what I felt for these people was unspeakable hatred.

Anne spoke softly, “I wasn’t blinded by the necromancer Azjah.”

“No, , but you were still victimized by her, and she is the cause for much of what's happened. as for that animal Black.” I objected. And when she said she felt sorry for the witch, I shot Vitus an incredulous look.

Anne told Vitus that Rhaine could be a better descriptor of what the witch had done to her, but I could not contain my own muttered words, “turned her into a bloody rotting walking corpse while she was pregnant as the result of rape by Black.”

Anne grabbed her cane tightly, “Is it too much to hope that I still have a room at the Palazzo?”

She headed for the stairs, with Caleb in immediate motion as she did. She has a home at the Palazzo as long as she wants it.

Vitus looked at me after she left, “her sight was not restored?”

I shook my head, “Rhaine was a great help, but she lost her sight in a fight with Black.” She hadn’t seen Rhaine since that night. He nodded slowly, “Surely something can be done about that.”

I nodded, “Yes, but I don’t think she’s ready to face the option of cybernetics.”

He blinked, “I don’t know what this sibernetiks you speak of is, but if it could restore her sight, why would she not wish that?”

I gave him a wan smile, “Because it’s all too recent Vitus. She’ll need time to adjust.”

He pondered a moment, then told me there were other options. He described what he called Demon Stones, but as he began his description of this artifact he’d once found, Raevyx arrived. It had been ages since I’d seen him, and he came to the sofa where Vitus and I were seated.

“Raevyx, I believe you may know Vitus?” As I made introductions between Vitus and Raevyx. They had not officially met, and the two Asmodeans shook hands.

Vitus spoke in hushed tones to Raevyx about some dreams their Bishop was having, and Raevyx said that he had indeed heard of them, and was working on interpreting them.

Vitus nodded, “I have discovered something interesting in the mountains, I am not sure what to make of it. Excavations have revealed an enormous cavern, several of my workers have disappeared inside.”

They talked about this unexpected cavern on the construction site of the new Temple. Raevyx had agreed to help explore this finding.

Raevyx stepped into the ring with Vanion, and Vitus asked me what was good to drink here in RhyDin. I told him that I was personally fond of the single malt scotches, but that many here liked the Badsider Brew, and that the dwarf Anheuser Steinforge was making headway into the spirits market in town. He elected to try the dwarven ale.

Raevyx departed after agreeing to meet Vitus at the cavern to help explore it. Raevyx departed with a farewell in Drow, and out of reflex, I responded in kind. Vitus gave me a very odd look as he spoke to me in Drow. I had to laugh as I responded, telling him that I was good with languages and that I had learned Drow after meeting Raevyx.

Vitus told me that he’d learned Drow because he had owned several drow slaves, and that he needed to be able to understand when they were plotting against him.

After the Arena emptied, we had a chance to talk more about the artifacts he’d mentioned earlier, the Demon Eyes. “I had come across a set of stones called Eyes of the Demon, they are magical, and commonly used by seers. The seer would gouge their own eyes out and place these stones in the sockets.”

I thought that sounded just a bit extreme, but he went on to tell me, “allowed one to see far better than naturally, to be able to see most lesser spirits, see extreme distances, even allowed one to magify what they looked at.”

The night grew late, and we both needed to find our homes. Gabriel moved out of the shadows, and I returned to the empty Palazzo.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Debates on Next Steps

The fire at the Baron's home was out, but the damage was done. Neighborhood confidence in the local militia was fading. First Dockside, then Dragon Gate, and now New Haven. People were growing fearful of leaving their homes over concerns that they might return to ashes and rubble.

Entering the Annex, I was considering the Baron's plans when Shandren took a seat nearby, "Azjah, is Anne gonna be alright? She didna look well." I told her that Anne was in poor shape at the moment, but that we would do everything we could for her. Unfortunately, it's going to depend a lot on her will to live after all that's happened. Black blinded her and disfigured her face in this fight. She also has the trial to conclude, and she'd confided that she just wanted it all over and behind her.

Shandren was concerned over her care, and I tried to assure her that we are doing what we can. Anne will have to make decisions later about how she wants to deal with her blindness. There are options, even Klinton will have to decide. There are cybernetics, magical artifacts, replacement options, and even the option to do nothing at all. But, I suspect Anne will want to 'see' her children grow up. Klinton too will have to make that same choice in his time.

I urged Shard on as she fought Pslyder, who took exception to my cheering his lady rather than himself. I told him that it all depended on who he was fighting that would determine when I cheered for him. He gave me a dubious look, "lemme guess, if'n Shard were, say, Farek, you'd be all ovah cheerin' fer me like white on rice, neh?"

I winked at him, saying "you've got it. Bust since it IS Shard, I'll cheer for her."

Raevyx joined me after finishing his time to volunteer, and about that time, Vincent arrived. He made his way toward me, "got a minute?"

I indicated an empty chair, "of course."

He settled onto it, inquiring whether I'd heard anything from Anne lately. He seemed oddly ill at ease with me, but I told hinm she was here the previous evening, and was currently living at the Palazzo again. He nodded, "good, I was hoping she was alright."

Frowning slightly, "I would not say she's OK, she's alive, but in bad shape. She faced Black alone."

He shook his head, "Warned her about that, but you know how stubborn she is."

I took a sip of the scotch, "yes, I know, and she's paid a high price for it. She's lost her sight, and been disfigured."

He frowned, telling me that she would probably reject his attempts to fix her. I told him that I did not know, but I did know she wasn't ready to make decisions or hear options right now. I do think Vincent should go see her fairly soon however.

As I sat talking to Raevyx about the cavern he was going to help Vitus explore, the elven woman was speaking to Pslyder about the Baron's plans for New Haven. She seems rather upset at the prospect of the Baron keping the district free of such miscreants.

I spoke up, "he means to warn them first, the rest is for recidivism," as she was objecting to the use of torture and execution as means to keep such elements out of New Haven.

Psly looked at me, "Thaht's whaht they all say toots."

Leveling an ice blue stare at him, "well, I think making it uncomfortable for such types is not a bad idea."

He nodded, "Ah agree. Thaht's whaht th' Guard's fer."

I smiled coldly, "well, they're not doing a very good job of protecting the city right now Psly."

He chuckled, "but, it allus starts out wit' rootin' out th' 'undesireables'." He smiled, "I'm fixin' to change alla thaht m'deah. Been onna Guard fer th' pas' week r' so, restructurin' th' trainin' a recruits."

Sipping my scotch, "I hope you know a lot then Psly."

"M'deah, whaht Ah know onna subject could fill th' encyclopedia. Used 'ta dabble in a li'l corporate espionage in mah younger days."

I chuckled, "Psly, that's white collar crime, where do you know about street urchins and miscreants?"

He smiled brightly, "grew up as one, petit, an' this weren't no 'white collah' nothing m'deah. Most 'a th' time, we went in armed, an' came out smelling quite a bit like cordite. So yeah, Ah'll be teachin' th' local gestapo how ta' catch th' real big fish."

Well, that sounded promising! I also have to disagree with the elven woman, "I think the Baron is doing the right thing." But, she feels this is some form of vigilantism.

I turned my attention back to Raevyx, "so you're going tonight then?"

"Most likely tomorrow," he corrected me.

He was still living in the mountains, but my hunch is that when the Temple is done, he'll move into that home. "Well, please be careful. If there are the horrors in there that Vitus mentioned, there may be something still there that did it."

In true Drow form, he told me he did not fear said horrors. "Maybe you should" I told him in all seriousness.

He gave me a cold look, "why should I?"

I smiled, he still cannot comprehend that just maybe people care about what happens to him, "because it might like Drow bones just as much," I replied.

He simply shrugged, "if there is anything there, and I die, so be it, no great loss, but a great deal is learned."

I hate that Drow fatalistic view of their own lives, and I disagreed with him, telling him that not all knowledge learned is worth a life. I bade him be careful and he matter of factly informed me that he always was.

I may have erred in letting Raevyx know of my unease about this construction of a new Temple to Asmodeus. It is, after all, his faith, as well as Rhaine and Vitus', but something as yet nebulous preys on my peace of mind.

Time alone will tell.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Vinny
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Bender of physics

Post by Vinny »

He had waited a few more days, just to make sure that Anne had some time to settle slightly. He didn't want to throw too many things at her at the same time.

Making his way over to the palazzo, he stopped to get her some flowers. he had no intentions of doing anything but checking up on her, and being there for her if she needed him. he wasn't even going to mention how the kids were doing unless she asked first.

Once there, there was nothing else to do except knock on the front door and wait to be brought to her.
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Dyson answered the door, to find Vincent Smith standing there with flowers and seeking Anne.

He led him through the foyer, and out into the formal gardens, turning right to lead him along the shaded walk to several suites. When he reached Number 4, he told him this was where Anne was living.

Dyson then turned, leaving Vincent before the door, in the solitude of the gardens.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Anne
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

A Visitor

Post by Anne »

The knock at the door was almost lost amongst the soft jazz playing in the background. The stiffness had just about left Anne's legs, and standing up wasn't as much of an ordeal. The Braille book was gently laid down, though she never got past the title page. The cane was no longer needed, Anne had just about figured out how to get around the house.

Upon reaching the door she pulled out the elastic in her hair. It partially covered the bandages, and that was her goal. Reaching out she found the doorknob and opened the entrance. Anne was tense, even though Caleb stood in the shadows ready to move if there was need. She ventured to speak.

"Hello?"
Anne Ellis Feren
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Baron of New Haven

The Overlord Challenge placed by Max against the reigning OL was just about to begin when I arrived, and at the bar stood Baron Cassius Maximus. I moved toward the bar, hoping the Baron would have time to speak with me. Rab smiled, waving a cookie at me as I headed for Cassius. And Imp, in his usual inimical style slobbered all over me.

I poured a glass of scotch and leaned against the bar to speak with Cassius. He’d lost an entire wing of his estate to the fires, and my offer to him was rejected. He asked if the Palazzo had sustained damage, which so far, it has not. I told him about Anjolie’s farm being attacked, and that she was going to bring some of her surviving horses to my barn for the time being.

Cassius told me that he would be doubling the guard in New Haven, and I offered to provide weapons and ammunition at cost, which he also declined. He believes we are facing a group of men that can be handled with the means and methods at his disposal.

Explaining to him that we’d already increased security at the Palazzo in light of the footprints that had been found beneath all of the windows, he lifted a brow slightly, “what floor?” They had been found all on the ground floor, so whomever it was used ordinary spying techniques rather than magic or wings.

Cassius admitted that the whole affair has put him in an ill mood, and I believe that many people are of the same sentiment. Unease spreads quickly, and the fires have fed that unease in many homes.

I asked him if he’d heard anymore about the 36 people who died the night of his fire, whether a cause of death had been assigned yet. He had not, and told me quietly that “this ‘man’ is going to hang from the tree.” His anger was palpable as he set his jaw while making the pronouncement.

I failed to catch his meaning, and he gave a harsh chortle, “You do realize I don’t mean with rope, correct?”

I gave him a puzzled look. “Actually, no. I had thought you wanted to hang him as in hang him.” For me, hanging was rather old fashioned, but I had taken him at face value of his words. I didn’t consider that his Roman history had a different meaning for a ‘tree’. His people called a cross a ‘tree’. He meant to crucify whomever was the source of this travesty.

He reached blindly for a chalice of wine, and I agreed that a painful death was appropriate for all of the suffering and dead left in the wake of these activities. Imp perked up as I said “any form of painful death should be appropriate.’

The Baron agreed, and pointed at the Challenge ring. “She was thrust into this position too quickly in her career.”

I followed the direction of his attention, reminding him that she is a capable dueler. While being Overlord means more than simply being capable, it is at least a start. Cassius believes an Overlord should have experience, and I believe the Overlord needs more than just experience with a blade. An Overlord should have people skills as well.

Kaja arrived, and I greeted her in her brand new CDR tee-shirt. She inquired how Klinton was doing, and I explained that he is currently out of town, but otherwise doing very well. Cassius seemed surprised that we knew one another, and decided he’d re-introduce us, calling Kaja the second most beautiful woman to come from this century’s Earth.

I explained to Cassius that Kaja was coming with us to Rigel, and that we needed to depart October 27th for the Kaiser’s Samhain Fete and the closure of the season. His features instantly bled of all color as he murmured, “I see.” Kaja noted his unusual pallor as well.

He shook his head, “nothing at all. I’m sure it’s quite different now. 200 years, people forget, people realize…. “ his voice trailed off. “I’m certain it’s refined.”

I glanced at him, “The Kaiser holds the end of the Season fete on Samhain every year, and we are summoned home. It is not like we can say no.” And I gave him a smile. One simply does not tell one’s liege lord no.

He gave a soft chuckle, telling me that no one was suggesting I say no to the summons, but he still looked troubled, “It’s a personal feeling, and one that is perhaps misinformed.” He took a long pull of the wine before continuing, “Who presides over the matter? It must take at least 2 months to gather the wicker, or do you have to bring your own?”

I puzzled over what he was getting at, “The Kaiser presides. It is his night to close all of the revelries until the advent of the next Season.”

“No priests?”

I smiled, well, of course the religious leaders of Rigel would be there, and the Arch Bishop would lead the opening and closing benedictions.

He repeated, “Arch Bishop,” as each syllable slowly faded from his tongue, and he relaxed ever so slightly. “Does Caesar preside over gathering the wicker?” His mispronunciation of Kaiser struck me as slightly odd.

“Wicker? You mean the bonfires?” I was beginning to catch his unease. The pagans had once held a Samhain festival where gigantic wicker figures had been burned.

He started to look toward the rings, but something in my voice brought his attention back to me, “Yes, that.”

Nodding more to myself than to him, “There is a closing bonfire, but it is not with wicker figures. We celebrate the end of the Season with a masque ball, dinner, and many of the pagan decorations, but we do not believe Samhain is the joint of the year where the realm of the dead comes closest to the realm of the living.”

For the first time all night, his black eyes locked with my own, and his expression was stonelike. “You sensed and knew what was bothering me then?”

I returned his level look, “As you continued to speak, it became clearer. At first I did not.”

He drew a deep breath.

“You’ve seen such things first hand?” I queried. His reaction had been far too acute for simple stories. Something very much troubled him about Samhain. He told me that we should not think of Samhain as merely a fable of our ancestors. He believed. He continued after I’d said the Druids had lived on after the Romans had left Britannia, “The ones you know did. Not the originals. The gods exist, and they are not always warm and kind. The people of Iberia weren't monsters. They were doing what they had to.”

I sipped the scotch thoughtfully after greeting Chase. “:: I'm not a fan of the Druids as wished for Baron. I only know that the Romans did not exterminate all of the Druids. Many remained with the Vandals, and the Goths.”

He told me that RhyDin harbored Druids, and that Topaz had been wed to one.

I gave him a quizzical look, “I did not realize there were still practitioners for the rites of Samhain. It is said they invite the spirits of deceased family in, open windows, light candles, but the original wicker figures held the victims of the Druids, burned alive in the figures and the bonfires.”

He nodded, trying to make a bit of lightness from the seriousness of the topic, “I think I'll skip that aspect of religion. I could live without seeing my sisters again.”

Chase approached, and he took the opportunity to move into a different topic, but I believe he was relieved that Rigel’s Samhain celebrations were not a throw back to the pagan Druids and the atrocities I believe he’s seen.

I nodded at Lucien and we made our way into the night. A new fire blazed in the distance, and I could only wonder when this would come to an end. As we reached the Palazzo, Dyson announced that Anne had a visitor.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

A Fete of Feathers

I was just about to call it an early night when Klinton arrived. His presence always brightens my spirits, and he walked over as I told him I was glad he could make it. "Getting those kinks worked out?" I teased him as I motioned for Hubie.

He smiled, "Yeup, and now if I could just get a nice little buzz, it'd be great." He then spotted Anne, "How's she doing?"

I glanced at Anne, "she's been talking to Caleb. I haven't had a chance to talk to her yet tonight." As Hubie approached, I asked Klinton what he'd like to drink.

He gave me an impish smile, "vodka.... rum..... tequila"

I lifted a pale brow, "anejo?" Hubie left us to get the sparkling water, vodka, rum, and tequila. Thank goodness Gabriel was here tonight to help carry him home after all of that!

About then, Anne asked Caleb if we were present, and he led Anne toward us.

"Azjah?" I nodded quickly at Caleb. The man is very solicitous of Anne, but otherwise he is cold and distant. A man devoid of emotion.

She pulled out a chair and sat down as Klinton greeted her. Caleb returned to lean against the bar, remaining distant, but very vigilant.

I told Anne that Caleb was welcome to join us, she seemed hesitant as she said, "I'd like him to, but it's his choice, the man mystifies me."

I chuckled, "men do that." Then turning once more to the silent hawk in the duster, "care to join us Mr. Feren?"

Klinton had given me an odd look at my comment, then smirked. We all know that women never mystify men - they on the other hand seem to delight in being unfathomable.

As Caleb joined us in silence, Anne was apologizing to Klinton. She didn't need to, but it seemed something she needed to do.

Just as Caleb pulled out a chair, and sat down after I told him to "do sit down", Cara breezed in, accompanied by Thad. It was going to be a long night. Klinton had 3 bottles of alcohol on the table, and Cara's already poor impression of my betrothed was not going to be aided.

"Duchess, will you join us?" Klinton downed his first shot before greeting Cara. For some reason, he derives a perverse pleasure from annoying Cara.

I asked Anne if she'd met Cara, and made introductions between Cara, Anne and Caleb. Anne seemed a bit nervous and I told her that Cara would be joining us for the ceremonies on Rigel, and that I hoped Anne would change her mind and come along as well.

I hazarded a glance at Caleb, then telling him he was welcome to join us if he chose. The look he gave me from behind those glasses silently shrieked, "try and stop me."

Cara and I sipped sparkling water as she'd declined Kinton's offer of a drink.

I asked the Duchess if she'd received my note informing her that the fete was to be a masque, and that the theme was feathers. She nodded, "I did, though I will have to come up with a new set for the wardrobe."

Anne seemed surprised, "A masque?"

I smiled, "Yes Anne, since the last event of The Season is for the Kaiser to hold, he's chosen Samhain, and with it a masque. We go in costume.'

Anne gave a wry smile, "think I should go as a pirate?"

Klinton whispered, loudly enough for Cara to hear, "I'm going as a bum."

I chuckled, "not to this fete you're not my dear."

Caleb had a very slight smirk on his lips. "Samhain".

I glanced at him, after Cassius' reaction, I wasn't certain just what he was thinking, so I asked him, "You are familiar with the rites of Samhain?"

He simply chuckled darkly.

Klinton took another drink of vodka, "so my dearest Azjah, what am I going as?"

I smiled beatifically at him, "the theme for the fete is feathers."

Caleb lifted a brow, "I will not be in feathers."

I lifted a brow right back at him, "If you attend this fete, you will be."

Anne snorted, "Caleb in feathers? It will never happen."

I chuckled, "Clearly you two have never had to attend such an event." I glanced at Cara. She knows as well as I do, these things are simply not optional. When the Kaiser decrees it, you will comply whether you wish to or not. Failure has consequences beyond imagining., If Caleb wants to be at Anne's side, feathers it will be.

Anne and Caleb departed, and as I admonished Caleb to take good care of Anne, the look he gave me sent chills down my spine. G~d help anyone who tries to harm her! To lighten the mood, I leaned toward him and whispered, "Carrion Crow."

He leveled that mirror shaded gaze at me, "or the one which causes the carrion crow to come."

I smiled, "Ah, but that one is not feathered."

Caleb paused to look at an old man cloaked and at the back of the room, but then departed with Anne holding his hand.

Klinton smiled at me, "What do you see me as?" He was pondering his costume and informing me that he wanted to go as an ostrich. But, I cannot see him running around in public with his legs naked to the world.

I chuckled at the mental picture, "I have several ideas. There are several raptors that would fit."

He laughted merrily at that, he still liked the ostrich so he could hide his head in the sand for this event.

I slipped both arms around his waist, "you do enjoy baiting Cara, don't you?"

Harris groaned, "Get a room!"

I winked at Harris and we prepared to leave, but just about then, Xerzes kicked a small, furry creature against the wall, blood splattered as it slid down the stone.

Klinton pulled me into his lap, telling me that he did enjoy baiting Cara, but that he doubted she would ever change her opinion of him despite what even I have told her.

The small creature wheezed, and I glanced at it again. It was filthy, and now it was wounded. I looked into Klinton's eyes, "it's got something stuck in its mouth, you don't have a pair of gloves with you?"

He gave me a 'yeah, riiiiiiiiiiight' look.

We rose and he approached the small creature about the same time thatGabriel appeared from the shadows.

Klinton asked me to go get towels, water, and alcohol since there was no vet open at this time of night.

And so, they set about trying to treat the filthy little creature.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Gabriel
Adventurer
Adventurer

The Rescue

Post by Gabriel »

The creature was viciously kicked by Xerzes, who in that instant I would have loved to have flung by his scrawny neck onto a set of spears, but the small creature was bleeding, and retribution would have to wait.

The Marchioness told Mr. Caer that it was in trouble, and that was all I needed to hear. Stepping from the shadows, I moved toward the creature, when the woman threw an object at me. Pausing, I gave her a long, silent look promising retribution before reaching fo rthe wounded creature.

"Sorry, I don't like stuff coming out of the shadows, doesn't bode well." she shrugged.

I threw a peanut at her, "next time, throw something that will do damage then."

Mr. Caer inspected it carefully. It had a green gem lodged in its mouth, and was bleeding rather badly. I reached for the stone to see if I could dislodge it, but it remained stubbornly fixed in place.

Mr. Caer requested water and towels, and the Marchioness brought them. I looked at them both, "you do realize this is archaic?"

He looked at me with a grin, "Of course I do, but I don't think on the spot."

I laid the clean towel onto a table and taking the creature from him, rested it on the towels. Mr. Caer held it for me as I withdrew a dagger from my boot, slicing deeply across my palm, laying my hand over the worst of the creature's wounds as I spoke in old Romanian. A cold blue glow connected the creature and I. It flailed and screeled obscenely at first as Mr. Caer held it down, but he spoke softly to it and it grew more quiet.

Lifting my hand from it, I had to laugh inwardly. Who would expect a vampire to heal a small furry creature?

The Marchioness approached with more clean towels, handing one to each of us, giving me a worried glance, "will it be alright?"

I nodded, but as the creature expressed its gratitude, it continued to paw at the green gem stuck in its jaws. "I'm afraid that stone is another issue however."

Mr. Caer returned with some bread and cheese, "if we can get through the night, we can take him to the vet tomorrow."

The Marchioness paled, "tell me you are not planning on taking that creature home!"

Mr. Caer looked at her as she said, "we don't have any place for it.... what will you do with it?"

He was startled by her reaction, "surely there is a cage for it for one night."

Just to be perverse, I spoke up, "Dyson will find a box in the store room for it." She shot me a glare.

"Who would have guessed? Two softies," she charged.

Mr. Caer reminded her that it was her decision to remain and help the animal. "Now we did, and we have to see it through."

The Marchioness asked if it was carnivorous or herbivorous, and I checked it's teeth to see, it was omnivorous.

The creature was grateful, nuzzling whom ever's hand was close enough, but the stone kept it drooling. "We're going to have to get that stone out, poor thing."

Mr. Caer looked hopefully at the Marchioness, "Your hands are smaller, try to pull that out."

I struggled not to smirk as she gave him a horrified look, "what if it bites me?"

The creature gave us all a look of mortification at the comment that it might bite anyone.

She reluctantly reached for the green gem, which, inexplicably, dropped into her hand. It took a moment for the creature to realize it was free of the stone, where upon, it hopped into the shocked woman's lap to give her cheek a lick.

She shot me a desperate look, "Gabriel, I thought you had it?"

Mr. Caer reached for it, "easy big guy."

I smirks, "slippery little devil."

The creature grabbed some cheese and a piece of bread before scurrying into a bag. I picked up the bag and said to no one in particular, "bath, food, and a box."

Mr. Caer grinned, "don't forget the pillow."
Gabriel Datrazanov
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Old Adversaries

I had an appointment earlier today with Geffen to discuss several things, but he had telephoned and cancelled our meeting. It seems MacPherson had also been attacked. Cory Havoick's boss was dead, as were many of Site 1's primary construction team.

As I stepped through the portal, I stiffened seeing Havoick in a ring. It had been ages it seems since I'd seen him, but I will never forget that encounter. Never.

I moved my chaise far away from his ring, and settled there, sending Hubie for my scotch when I heard Raevyx's voice. "When did you arrive?" He'd been off exploring a newly discovered cavern Vitus had found for the Asmodeans. He joined me, and explained that "to (his) estimation, it took about a week of actual exploring and mapping. I would summarize the endeavor by saying that there were far too many close calls for my comfort, but it is done and I am alive again."

Those caverns had been more dangerous than he'd let on. My drow friend had a penchant for understatement. We sat in companionable silence for a moment before I pointed at Cory, "He's going to be a busy one now."

Raevyx looked at me quizzically, "what do you mean?"

Sipping the scotch as his duel ended, "his boss was killed today. He's the likely replacement."

Cory twitched slightly and nonchalantly moved closer.

Raevyx shrugged, "I have been underground for 2 weeks."

I nodded slightly, "Siewelt is probably going to be shutting down the projects for now according to his last phone call. The board will be voting."

Cory pushed off from the bar, and approached us both warily. It was Raevyx who'd gone after Cory that fateful night not so long ago. Raevyx offered his hand, and I stiffened slightly.

"This some sort of olive branch?" Cory inquired of Raevyx. Ultimately the two shook hands as I remained tense and unmoving.

Cory returned his hand to his pocket, "I couldn't help but listen in on your conversation."

Raevyx nodded, "understandable."

I studied him a moment before expressing my condolences over the death of his boss. I had assumed Siewelt had found him and told him. I was mistaken.

"I've heard only little about these attacks, one barely escaped with her life, now I learn another was not so fortunate." He was reining back his temper. "I also received word from an unknown source that a complaint has been filed against me."

I was still rigidly unmoving, "I spoke with Herr Siewelt. He was looking for you when he came here. We spoke. The horses are coming to my barn, is that correct?" I did not feel it was crucial to go into the discussion Siewelt and I had regarding Cory's behavior that night. It was part of the discussion we were going to have today.

Cory leveled chocolate brown eyes at me, "I haven't spoken with Mr. Siewelt for some time now, especially since the assault on Quinn's stables."

I slid off the chaise to stand.

He moved slightly, "you said you were having Quinn's horses moved to your stable?"

I lifted a pale blue gaze at him, "actually, she inquired if I had any room. Since we both appreciate good horses, I have made room." then I softened my tone, "she said one of her people was slain as well."

Cory nodded, "I'm sure she has thanked you, now I extend mine. Yes, he sacrificed himself to save her."

I closed my eyes, "She's a fine person. You are welcome. I think everyone has been impacted, and I am very sorry about Reynolds."

Cory choked slightly, "yes, she really is a marvellous person."

"Please tell her, if I can do anything else while she re-builds..."

He looked away, "so many impacted, yet no one seems to be doing anything about it. I'll relay the message. I myself am splitting my time to help when I can."

We continued a truce to discuss the things I knew that were being done about the fires and deaths. He looked at me abruptly asking how I knew about Mr. Reynold's, telling me that the first he'd heard about it was from me, and given our relationship, I'm certain that was unwelcome.

Pausing in mid sip, "Herr Siewelt came the other evening. We talked at some length. This morning I received a phone call form him. We were to meet at his office. He called to cancel, and gave me the news."

Cory shook his head, "he might have been my boss, but he was still a great man."

I hadn't known Gene Reynolds, but I'd heard the man died trying to protect his crew. Cory nodded, saying that it sounded like the kind of thing he would do. I told Cory that more of the crew were lost, and that the building would likely be halted pending resolution of the crisis.

He swallowed hard, running his hand through his hair, "I would think so."

Studying him a long moment, "Havoick, we've had our differences, but watch yourself." I took a quick sip of the scotch, not quite knowing what else to say.

He gave me an odd look, "with so many comrades in harm's way, I cannot turn tail and hide."

I agreed with him, few of us can, "but, that doesn't mean I wish for you to become the next victim."

Snorting, "I'd rather it be me than them."

Very softly I remained him that Anjolie would not want that, and I did not add that his daughter would need her father.

He gave me a pained look as I reiterated that if there was anything Anjolie needed, just let me know.

He thanked me, and said, "I suppose Geffen would like to speak with me?"

"He was looking for you. I told him to look for Onyx. If I know anything about Siewelt, my guess is he's got people hunting her now."

"Undoubtedly" was his wry answer. He tipped his chin to me, "I'll be going
now. Chances are if Geffen is looking for Onyx, then he's found her, and now she's looking for me."

"Good evening Cory Havoick."

"Good evening Marchioness."
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Swept of My Feet

Gabriel stepped out of the shadow and Shard promptly threw a book at him. I am not certain what he's done to prick her ire, but that's for those two to iron out.

The bag Gabriel carried suddenly squeaked, and he opened it. Out bounded a completely different creature from the one we'd rescued the previous evening. It licked Gabriel's hands and scampered up his shoulder and licked his face before taking a post on the vampire's shoulder. He was smooth, shiny black furred with red eyes and chittered happily.

Rhaine gave Gabriel a smirk as she noted the odd creature sitting happily on Gabriel's shoulders. It was not long before Rhaine's familiar, Lyrt, appeared and took up residence on the vampire's shoulder.

Raevyx muttered, "too many critters, too many meal choices."

Gabriel must have heard him as he hissed once at the Drow., who then produced his familiar, which I am certainly glad I did not know about previously! A large, hairy, black spider climbed from beneath his hood.

Gabriel's companion hissed and Gabriel laid a soothing hand on his fur.

Klinton walked in and I did a double take. He was wearing dark trousers, deep blue shirt and matching tie, and he was removing a sport coat!

Gabriel's companion scampered across the floor and up Klinton's leg, finally settling on his shoulder, chittering happily.

I shook my head and asked Shard if she'd believe we'd only rescued it yesterday. She did, she'd been there when we'd picked up the poor beast after Xerzes kicked it.

I rose and walked toward my beloved, "you look wonderful tonight," as I reached up to adjust his tie playfully.

The wee beastie chittered some more, stretching toward me as he slid an arm around my waist, pulling me in, "not so bad yourself". His hand rested against my cheek as he kissed me.

Smiling I told him he could do that again, and about then, the creature licked my neck. He'd hopped from Klinton's shoulder onto mine. Laughing, I told him that the invitation was for Klinton!

Klinton laughed, "the little guy cleans up well, doesn't he?"

I slid beneath Klinton's shoulder, working at undoing the tie when the sneaky little beast tried to wrap himself around my neck. I reached up and kept trying to un-wrap him, but he seemed almost part octopus.

Klinton smiled, "I was thinking," as he playfully slapped my hands away and re-tied his tie, "I was thinking I might try to sweep you off your feet tonight."

"Just how did you plan to sweep me off my feet?"

His voice lowered to a soft whisper, "I thought I'd start by dressing up a bit, and then I thought I'd tell you that I have worked out a plan. But, it does involve leaving here, if you are so inclined."

I was still trying to unwrap the creature from around my neck as I told him I certainly liked what I heard and saw.

Just as Gabriel whistled for the creature, Klinton suggested he may need some help from Gabriel, but the little one gave me a quick lick and went scampering back to Gabriel, food, and the bag.

It is not often that Gabriel or Lucien do not get the doors for me, but this night, Klinton did so. He settled beside me on the butter soft leather, "I do not give you nearly enough attention."

I smiled, reaching up to lightly touch his face, "You have been busy."

We spent a few minutes enjoying one another's company undisturbed by others before he told me to close my eyes and open my mouth. I laughed, but complied, and soon, the sweet taste of chocolate touched my tongue, followed by the effervescent tickle of champagne, finally followed by the unique flavor of a fresh strawberry. His voice was a soft whisper, "do you remember the night we had fruit, and chocolate, and then dessert?"

Slowly opening my eyes, "how could I forget."

He smiled more broadly, "I never want to lose that night, or tonight, or any other night I am with my love."

The car slowed and rolled to a stop as he helped me out of the car, "we're doing a little off roading now."

We entered the woods, and there waited a horse and carriage. There was more fruit and champagne. Snuggling beside him, I asked how he'd convinced Eoin to allow it, and he smirked before taking my champagne flute, "did you not notice the men laying on the roof? Or the three men that are driving the carriage? We are well protected. and I am under strict orders to keep the itinerary. It has been well planned out."

Chuckling, I inquired if he would keep to the itinerary as he'd done with the hang gliding. He smirked in the darkness, "I actually have no opportunity to change the itinerary. They are in control of all the places we go."

I quirked a brow at him, "I should hope not ALL the places we go! and I reclaimed the champagne flute from him.

He gave me a slow, knowing smile, "they will not be with us at any point after we get to second base or so, but they will certainly be close by."

"I'll keep that in mind," I murmured as I licked chocolate off his finger tips.

The carriage slowed, and he shivered before removing his tie, "hold still my darling," as he tied the silk around my eyes, handing me the champagne flute again and helping me down from the carriage. He led me toward the sound of rushing water, and we headed down a steep slope which was difficult to navigate in stiletto heels. He scooped me up, to the grumbles behind us. I happily became distracting, nibbling on his neck as we descended. he set me down before the mouth of a large cavern and removed the silken blind fold. There were several candles lit, and water tumbled over the entry way, providing a screen from casual view. In the center of the cave was a low table, two place settings and a pile of pillows and a blanket. Turning in his arms, I pulled him down to my height for a kiss as he told me that Andre had prepared the meal of lobster Alfredo.

I loved it. The setting was magnificent. We settled comfortably for the evening. He'd had Charlotte arrange my schedule such that I was not needed nor expected until lunch time tomorrow, and that we would spend the entire evening right here, in this lovely secluded spot.

This was the man I'd pledged to wed before King and country. It was one of my better decisions.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

To Do list just keeps growing. The trip to Rigel is looming close, and I begin to worry as I have not heard from Pasha lately.

Koy is putting the finishing touches on my wardrobe, and the metal smith completed the second coronet for Klinton. Koys’ second investiture robe was a godsend.

After our discussion last night evening about his pending rise into the royal hierarchy, and what his roles and responsibilities will be, I have added to my list a substantial project that I hadn’t considered before. My upbringing, such things are ingrained from birth, but here in RhyDin, there is no need for such background and training.

Klinton’s interest in Rigelian politics is unexpected.

Today I must lay out the expectations he will face.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Protocol

Klinton,

I wanted to put some protocol and expectations down for you to help with all the things you will be facing when we get to Rigel. I want you to know that I love you, and that I know these things are all foreign to you. You cannot embarrass me, and I will be the luckiest woman on Rigel with you at my side.

As the new Marquess of Triberg, here is where you and I fit into the Royal Heirarchy.

Kaiser (Emperor) Joachim III
Prince Reiner IV
Duke/Duchess (Grand Duke) – currently 8 ducal holdings
Marquess/Marchioness – currently 17 families, these are usually the Marcher Lords, that hold the border lands, and are usually Warlords with broader powers. 2/3 of British dukes are also Marquesses. Additionally, some Marcher Lords are higher than the Dukes due to the holding they may have.
Earl/Countess – currently 35 families
Viscount/Viscountess –
Baron/Baroness –hold their lands directly from the King.
Baronet, Sir/Dame – usually these are simply life time peers, not passed down through primogeniture.

Seating at all Royal affairs is strictly by rank. It is important to know who holds which rank, and where you must defer, and where you hold priority. As Marquess, our hold of Triberg makes us 2nd of the 17 holdings, and we are seated at the second table in the second spot on the right.

Your titles will be: Marquess of/von Triberg, and Baron of/von Drachen Walde. Your Marquess title always precedes your Baron’s title. These holdings are by royal grant, and are usually handed down through inheritance of the oldest son, ie primogeniture. In the event of the oldest child being a daughter, the Kaiser may at his discretion reclaim the holdings for re-dispersal. In the event of there being no heirs, the land reverts to the crown.

Triberg is a province in the Southwest of Rigel. It comprises almost 13,000 square miles of territory, including all towns, villages, and other constructions. Triberg is a mixture of farmland, forest, and light industry. While it is predominantly agrarian it is one of the major food producers for Rigel. Not rich, but moderately prosperous. There are approximately 80,000 people within the hold.

Barony of Drachen Walde is a smaller holding in the North of Rigel. It is approximately 2700 square miles set in the heart of the industrial center of Rigel’s “Silicon Valley”. Family business began in this holding. This area is known for it’s R&D, high tech industries. The first Palazzo Drachen Walde is located here.

There are 4 familial residences. The ancient fortress in Triberg is the equivalent of an 11th century British crenelated castle replete with curtain wall, double barbican gate, great hall, towers, and moat. There are 112 rooms in this structure of stone and steel. It serves as Triberg’s governmental facilities and the Danaan residence.

Drachen Walde on Rigel is an Italianate Palazzo very similar to the Palazzo in RhyDin. The same plans were used for the newer home in RhyDin. Both are around 16,000 square feet each, with vineyards, stables, and formal gardens.

The fourth residence is a seaside home on Rigel, set on a cliff overlooking the Azure Sea. The closest approximation would be the Greek Isles of Earth. This is a vacation home that does not see a lot of use by the current Marchioness.

As Marquess, your responsibilities include taxation, collections, paying the Kaiser, maintaining a prosperous economy, and ensuring public compliance with the laws of Rigel. You may write ordinances that do not conflict with Federal laws or Royal decrees.

For all Royal events, you must conform to the following attire – golden coronet comprised of 4 gold strawberry leaves and 4 round pearls raised to the same level as the leaves in alternating sequence. A crimson cloak trimmed in ermine 3 ½ rows edges in 4” breadth with a train 1 ¾ yards long.

Gloves must be worn. It is prohibited to touch the Royal persons without gloves. White. You must wear a royal blue sash with all badges of station, black trousers and black Hessian type boots.

Thank fully we are not forced to attend many events due to my living in RhyDin and expanding our industries on behalf of the Kaiser. In the event we would leave RhyDin and live on Rigel, this would change. You are about to join a complex family with the most unique set of rules. Trust with caution, and never absolutely.

I can’t think of anything more at the moment, but I cannot wait to introduce you, and fulfill that writ of authorization.

All my love.

ATD
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Quiet Joy

Klinton brings such humor into my life. He engenders a joy that is infectious. The other evening he was fretting over writing ordinances, and how to appear legitimate in that role if he did not have a sceptor.

I sought to ease his worries by explaining that he is the ultimate authority within our two holdings, and that a gavel was the symbol he would use, and would be respected, but for some unknown reason, in his eyes, a sceptor was what he wanted. Unfortunately, that symbol belongs to the Kaiser.

I will have Ariel do his portrait while we are gone, wearing the investiture regalia. Perhaps then he will see himself as I do. He will look splendid in the robes Koy has made for him.

I have to smile. He will be one of the few peers who actually knows how to use the sabre at his side!
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg
Azjah von Drachen Walde
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Anjolie's rebuilding is going well. She has suffered a great loss, in property, as well as a friend, and it will take time to recover from such things, but I have had a chance to study her foundation stock up close.

She has an eye for quality equines, and they've done a lot of work with the horses which Arturo approves of, thus when things settle down for her, I will re-open discussions on buying the mare for my young stallion.

Her daughter is a bundle of energy. She'll be very capable around the horses when she grows up. I do keep wondering why the child's father is not present, despite his obvious adoration of the child, and her mother, but it is not my affair. After my previous experiences with Cory, it is better that I do not interfere.
Azjah Telyria Danaan
Marchioness von Triberg

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”