Ariel's Emporium

Transplanted Rigelian and her adventures in the Nexus world of RhyDin and
beyond.

Moderator: Azjah von Drachen Walde

Ariel Datrazanov
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Ariel Datrazanov »

Gabriel was spending more time talking about the vampiress, yet despite her presence in RhyDin on a regular basis, she leaves almost no trace to follow. Nothing to learn about her.

I sat at my desk lost in thought.

Why was she befriending my brother?

There was news that their patron was returning, and Gabriel had told me about the woman's help researching the poisons used. She was good as a chemist. Better than Gabriel, who was a sometime student himself.

Why? Why was she helping?

Musing to myself, I closed the shop and slipped into the darkened streets of RhyDin.
Ariel Datrazanov
Ariel Datrazanov
Adventurer
Adventurer

Carpathians seldom form friendships outside of our own people for many reasons, but my brother seems to have truly formed more than an expeditious partnership with the vampiress that has no known background in RhyDin. She has kept her privacy and anonymity.

We have more questions than answers now. The Earl has come here, but there is no understanding why. Why he would risk being caught?

I closed the shop for the day and blended into the twilight in RhyDin.

My small house beckoned. But, I promised Lucien I would run an errand for him.
Ariel Datrazanov
Gabriel
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Gabriel »

Gabriel's mood was as black as his eyes as he sat in Ariel's shop office. Rain pelted down in cold, hard drops that felt more like hail than rain. As his mood darkened, the rain beat down with increasing ferocity.

"I should have known her sense of right and wrong would deviate at the most inopportune time." He was not looking at Ariel as he finally started to speak.

Ariel let him rail. "So, tell me what happened," her gentle prompt would help her brother vent and look at the situation in a new light.

He ran his hand through midnight black hair that had remained untouched by silver for nearly two millenia. When he started speaking again, Ariel nearly missed it because he spoke so softly. "I met her at the Red Dragon and this time she was not in a human disguise. I had the proof she had demanded that Tuebingen was in RhyDin. He is associated with Siewelt and Mc Pherson, and that can no longer be challenged. She in turn gave me information she had gotten from Tuebingen on Rigel." He gave a short laugh remembering the setting for their meeting. A cemetary. How very droll. "She felt information for information was a fair trade. She had contacted the man about doing some work for her so she could evaluate his talents and the extent of his skills.'

Gabriel did not go into details on Rille. He had learned a lot about Rhaine's skills as she had explained who and what the girl was. Her talents were impressive just from her description of that 'experiement'. Ariel did not need to know those things. He realized too late that he may have insulted her by telling her that she looked to be around 35 human years of age, but it would be significantly out of character for the woman to refuse to help based on a perceived slight such as that.

He sat as still as death as he told Ariel about the next meeting. "She arrived in her Asmodean robes rather than casually for this meeting. Her first words to me were, "and why am I never surprised to see you Gabriel?"

"I could tell she had made a decision that I was not going to like. Her manner and bearing said it all. So, I asked her if she had any further news since there is no point beating around the bush with Miss Rustovich."

"Gabriel, how obsessed are you with killing that dhoine?" Her question was not the one Gabriel was expecting. In point of fact, there is no obsession with killing the man at all, but the way she asked the question showed that she is not going to help deal with the man. She was satisfied with her solution, what ever that may be.

"He is not to be killed by us, merely returned to Rigel for justice," Gabriel could have slain him several times over since his arrival in RhyDin, but that was not the point at all.

She swirled what smelled like a Chardonnay in her glass, "He was not the one who sent your boss that dumb lipstick thing. I have received the results of the test I set up for him."

She had spoken to him, and it was clear that he had gained some of her respect, and that he was not the principle player in the attempt on the Marquess. She made it clear that she felt my focus was now misplaced, and that I should be looking elsewhere to find the culprit. When Gabriel had
reminded Rhaine that Tuebingen has killed enough people to fill a grave yard, she tipped her hand.

"Gabriel, he did perform 3 excellent assassinations. But he is not the one coming for your bosses head."

Well, the assessment that he was an excellent assassin was telling. She found his work 'excellent'. Therein would be a dangerous respect.

"I do not care about the previous Kaiser nor his cronies, but the man is wanted, and for his guilt at the slaying of the Marchioness' parents, I will see him returned to Rigel." The ethical thing to do is see the man sent back for his charges and let the courts deal with him.

She argued that it was too late to catch him for those two older murders, but there is no statute of limitations on murder, and so it was imperative that he be brought to justice for the five known murders in the laws of his homeland. When Gabriel had told Rhaine that it sounded to him as if she would no longer be helpful, she told him that she could only help when she knew she was doing the right thing. She believes that putting Tuebingen in jail will not make the Marquess' life any safer. And that may be true enough, but justice awaits the man for his crimes as they are. "I thanked her for her help by telling her that her assistance had been valued." Gabriel looked finally at Ariel before continuing.

"He has not lied in a single word," Rhaine was quite certain of that. And she seems to think this was reason enough for me to leave him alone, to let him go.

Gabriel shook his head, he had told Rhaine that just because Tuebingen had not lied did not abrogate his deeds. The fact that the new Kaiser was not complicit does not exonerate Herr Albrecht.

Rhaine had given him a cold look, “This does not make him an assassin you are trying to convince me he is. This guy does not murder for money, and we did speak of this.”

Whether he murders for money, or glory, he remains a killer who is currently outside of the laws of his homeland. Laws he needs to face for his activities. Gabriel had told her that “I will see him returned to Rigel Miss Rustovich; his talents not withstanding.” She was looking at his talents more favorably than expected. She had found Tuebingen’s ‘foolish, idealistic sacrifice’ something to be respected. He hardly sacrificed anything!

We exchanged acerbic words over her opposition to my intention to return the man to Rigel. “I should not consider that his fate is your concern.” With her current view of the man, it was time for her to step back from our search. She had helped determine that he was not the maker of the poison intended for the Marquess, but now she was wavering dangerously close to supporting a man who needed to face justice.

She called him a ‘colleague’ and Gabriel realized that their paths have diverged completely. If she considered him a kindred spirit, she could interfere with his plans to return Kendrick to Rigel, and that simply could not be allowed to happen.

Rhaine had asked Gabriel to give the new Kaiser time before turning Albrecht in, but he cannot do that. They parted company on a very chilly note.

Gabriel had finished telling Ariel what had happened and he looked into the streets to find his rain had turned into a blinding snow storm.

“Well, what do you think Ariel?”

(Cross Posted in Tracking )
Gabriel Datrazanov
Ariel Datrazanov
Adventurer
Adventurer

I listened as Gabriel related his side of the tale. I moved silently around my office in thought before glancing back at him.

"Gab, you knew before you started that she would do what she deemed she should, and when her goals or purpose were resolved, she would not permit you to use her for your goals. Why does it surprise you now?"

With a wave of my hand, I lit a candle scented in gardenia.

"From what you have told me, the question of who got into the house on Rigel and placed the poison in the lipstick remains open. Who Gab did that? Perhaps her focus is there, and if Tuebingen is not the primary party, then the danger is still very real, is it not?"

My brother is a man of focus and determination. I have no doubt he will see Tuebingen returned to Rigel, but will the attempt come again here in RhyDin to those he chooses to protect? From what I hear in his story, the other vampire believes that is a possibility.

"Gab? What if the one who tried to poison your charge's mate is on the inside? "
Ariel Datrazanov
Ariel Datrazanov
Adventurer
Adventurer

Gabriel had not liked my question, and had vanished abruptly. He was angry. Angrier than I had seen him in a very, very long time. His usual cool demeanor was a mask now, and underneath I could sense a black rage.

His partnership with the vampiress had not gone the way he'd wanted it to go, and the results were not satisfactory. He'd thought Albrecht was guilty of all of the murders as well as the attempt, and now it seemed the facts were not supportive of that premise.

He'd been gone for days since that night in my office. When I sought him, his presence was far away, buried somewhere. He'd left RhyDin without a word.

When I asked at the Palazzo, Dyson simply said he'd not been there for some days, and that no message had been left for me. Great lot of help he is! Like I didn't know that much already.

Lucien stuck to the Marchioness like a shadow now, and Herr Albrecht had not been seen in the area, though I suspect he is still here. Thankfully, there hadn't been another attempt on the Marquess.

It was time to go find Gabriel.

I closed the shop and faded into the night.
Ariel Datrazanov
Ariel Datrazanov
Adventurer
Adventurer

My older brothers are really very fine creatures, they really are, but right now, I am not certain either one is using the brains they were gifted with at the moment.

One is working to entrap the murderer of the Kaiser, and the other is snooping around some human female for no good reason. There is simply not enough to keep these two out of mischief if they are focused on such things with the single minded determination of our kind. They need something worthwhile to do.

The advent of spring has meant a lot of work in the shop. Shifting from winter themes to spring themes and obtaining the art to bring out the newness and freshness that is spring has occupied me this week. I love the fresh colors and scents of spring, and bringing them into the shop lightens my spirits every year.

The flower shop across the street has containers full of iris and tulips and daffodils. Forsythia is beginning to flower, and they have branches of them being forced in the windows. On an impulse, I ordered 4 planters for the entrance of my shop. There should be flowers and color to make the shop more inviting.

Satisfied with the transformation from winter to spring, it's time for me to go needle my brothers.
Ariel Datrazanov

Return to “Palazzo Drachen Walde”