An ancient religion emerges in Rhy'Din.

Moderator: Vanion Shadowcast

Vanion Shadowcast
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Archpriest of Myr'Khul

The Exile, I

Post by Vanion Shadowcast »

(This was Iggy's post in 'The Streets' section of the forum. I have brought it here for him.)

---

Ignatius Vossen does not usually shy away from being the bearer of ill tidings, nor does he have any qualms about causing suffering. Yet when the one time Commander of the Unholy Knights looked at the child standing before him, he felt his tongue cleave to the roof of his mouth.

"Come now, Ignatius!" he chided himself, "You have led the army to massacre an entire village of women and children, and you find yourself unable to tell a child that her father is dead?"

Dead? Iggy wondered to himself. Is it possible that he might be alive? But if he were, why were there no reports of casual murders or senseless slaughter? Yet, if he were dead, then who or what killed him? Without a corpse, there can be no proof of his demise.

The child's voice broke the pixie-elf's reverie,

"He'd dead, isn't he?"

"Who?"

"My father. He's dead, isn't he?"

The nonchalance in the child's voice almost took the Myr'Khulian Knight by surprise. There was not a tinge of sadness in her voice, and she pronounced her father's death as if she were reciting the alphabet. Ignatius Vossen had feared having to deal with tears and a bawling child, but he had not expected such coldness from her. He gave a slight smile of admiration at the young child - she was, he thought to himself, indeed her father's daughter.

"He'll be back," she finally pronounced, "He always comes back even when they say he's dead, he always comes back."

"And would you wait for him to come back?"

The child shrugged her shoulders and threw the question back, "Would you wait for him?"

Iggy smiled wryly and continued, "No, I won't wait. I'm going to go find him."

"You think he's alive, then?"

"I think there are too many unanswered questions."

"Including the one, I just asked you" she pouted.

Ignatius gave a low chuckle and turned to leave, "Would you like me to send you anywhere? My drake can bear the both of us and it is better than walking."

"Just the Temple of Astinus. I want to see my mother."

"You want to see your mother?" Iggy raised his eyebrows in amusement. Normally, Llewellyn was held in contempt by her daughter, and for Mishaelna to express a desire to see her was out of character.

"No, I don't. But I need money and she always has plenty to spare."

The Knight laughed and placed a benevolent hand on the child's shoulder. There was a tinge of contempt and cruelty in her voice, which reminded him of his mentor.

"Come child," his voice was soft, "we have to go."

Return to “Temple of Myr'Khul”