Out of Character message board for the Duel of Swords

Moderator: Staff

Seraph
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Any late 90's players here?

Post by Seraph »

This is so wild.

I was a pretty avid player back in the mid/late 90's. I forget why I stopped -- I had moved across the country, but also I think technology had improved a bit and people were migrating over to some more visual online platforms. It's been so long, I don't remember.

Anyways, I have some super fond memories of DoS, including losing a razor-thin match for the Overlord title.. rumors were that the overlord at that time (and his name escapes me) was maintaining spreadsheets of all the top ranked players' habits.

Just wanted to reach out and see if anyone from that time still hangs around here. The place meant a lot to me at the time, and I have fond memories of it. I owe a lot of my written communication skills to the time I spent here in the Arena, as well as the meticulous hours curating my AOL profile to stay within the character limits :-D

Glad to see it still exists! And looks like it's an active community as well.

--J aka Gaejin/Seraph aka Kayne Rune aka so many others
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Re: Any late 90's players here?

Post by Kalamere »

The Histories wrote:Next to challenge Dalamar was the Warlord Seraph, self-proclaimed murderer of Draven Altruis. Public vehemence was heavy against the challenger, and in the match itself Dalamar chose to have the Warlord face a Test of Worthiness against Warlord Sartan. Neutral Baron of the Third Evan Rynth chose to Interceed for the Challenger, a choice for which the Overlord immediately banished him to Renegade. The Overlord's Champion proved the stronger in that match and went on to face Seraph. But Sartan's endurance proved unable to last both matches, and the Warlord came out of the match ready to face the Overlord.

To face, but not to defeat. Though the match was one of the closest ever recorded against Dalamar, he retained his title of Overlord in the end with a 5-4 victory.
https://rhydin.org/dos/ol_details.php?ord=28

I don't recall us interacting back in the day, but always nice to see an old timer stop by!
Goldglo
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by Goldglo »

Here!
"If you are thinking a year from now, sow seed. If you are thinking ten years from now, plant a tree. If you are thinking one-hundred years from now, educate the people."

--Kuan Tzu, 5'th century Chinese poet
Gloria Blaze
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Gloria Blaze »

Here.
Gloria Blaze,
House Royal
Seraph
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Seraph »

Awesome!

It's been so long that I only remember like 2-3 people that were part of my "posse." But your names are all ringing bells, this is great :)

I did a quick search around the forums but didn't find anything about DoS's OOC history over the years.

I remember it being archived in the early 2000's, but has it been active this entire time, or was there an effort to resurrect it? I find it fascinating (and wonderful) that it's still around.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

Not sure what sort of OOC history you might be looking for but DoS (along with DoF and DoM) is alive and well! Info can be found here https://rhydin.org/dos/ with historic information found via the sidebar link for histories on that page, including another 91 Overlords after Dalamar too :-D
Goldglo
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by Goldglo »

There's also a lot of old stuff here, but it's more of an IC history/archive than OOC info: https://duelingzone.org/duelarchives/

--Matt
"If you are thinking a year from now, sow seed. If you are thinking ten years from now, plant a tree. If you are thinking one-hundred years from now, educate the people."

--Kuan Tzu, 5'th century Chinese poet
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

I remember you! If memory serves, Zarrada, Draven, and Lupton were part of the posse you mentioned.

Good to know you are among the living. :)
Regina Wellston
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Regina Wellston »

I played on the AOL chat rooms..So don't think I know you but I was a 90's writer too!
Seraph
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Seraph »

Claire Gallows wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:48 am Not sure what sort of OOC history you might be looking for but DoS (along with DoF and DoM) is alive and well! Info can be found here https://rhydin.org/dos/ with historic information found via the sidebar link for histories on that page, including another 91 Overlords after Dalamar too :-D
I'm not entirely sure -- has the Arena survived all these years in an active state? Was there a renaissance.. and if so, who's been taking care of it? Things like that. I was pleasantly surprised to find an active community after all these years and it's clearly been a labor of love. Props to everyone who has been doing the work behind the scenes keeping everything running.

I'll probably spend some time this weekend going through the archives and reading up on everything I can.
Seraph
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Seraph »

PrlUnicorn wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 7:08 pm I remember you! If memory serves, Zarrada, Draven, and Lupton were part of the posse you mentioned.

Good to know you are among the living. :)
Ha.. yes!! Haven't seen those names thrown around in a long time.
Tasslehofl Momus
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Tasslehofl Momus »

::waves::
Lailokken
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by Lailokken »

AOL player here too... ran with Leto Covington, Jeffrey Oakenshield, Karturis among others... including :::waves to Tass:::

MageMyst / RDI HAWK
~ A man shows who he is, by what he does, with what he has ~

Return to “Duel of Swords (OOC)”