Dueling House Proposition / Discussion

Out of Character message board for the Duel of Swords

Moderator: Staff

Mallory
RoH Admin
RoH Admin

Post by Mallory »

Sorry, late returning to this thread, but I agree with Claire about the established houses (and possibly assigned!) being a way to prevent cliquishness or the feeling of it and getting people joining forces randomly. Pokemon Go is a great analogy, and the IC impetus for setting this up might be as simple as that – seeing people teaming up as sports fans or in game factions and wanting to bring that mechanism to the duels (and make some scratch off House or MVP prizes).
DUEL Olivia
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by DUEL Olivia »

Good news! I found a website that can randomize a list of names into teams. So we're good to go for that.

So taking consideration into the ideas for "MVP"'s. I think it's a good idea to go with Jake's suggestion of splitting into different categories. What I'm looking at right now is.

1. House Champion

This will be decided by MPDPD, with the minimum duel requirement being 6 ( or 8 ) duels completed throughout the season/cycle.
Match Point Differential Per Duel is calculated by the following formula:
Total Match Points Scored (points the dueler scored) - Total Match Points Allowed (points scored against the dueler) / Number of Duels.

Note: Thanks to Rakeesh for having a post I could search out for a quotable formula.
2. Perfectionist

Since the sword duels will be capped at your first 2 ( or 3 ) per night, shut outs will be rare and worth rewarding. The winner of this can be of any house and is not limited to just the winning house.

3. Gauntlet of the Gladiator

This fighter did not shun any opponent that stood in their way. The duelist who faced the greatest number of unique opponents will achieve this award. The winner of this can be of any house and is not limited to just the winning house.

4. House Mascot

Houses will be asked to vote who they believe should be awarded the title of House Mascot.

-------

Scoring

Basically a C&P of what Jake posted, but posting it here so that it can be in one post.
Jake wrote:1 pt for dueling
+1 pt for a win
+1 pt for dueling an opponent of a different house
+1 pt for beating an opponent of a different house
+1 pt for winning a shut-out

Minimum score for a duel: 1 (losing a duel against someone in the same house)
1 for duel
Maximum score for a duel: 5 (winning a duel against someone in another house by SO)
1 for duel, +1 for winning, +1 for another team, +1 for beating another team, +1 for SO
We'd normally see a 4/2 point difference between winning / losing Houses who fight. Special cases obviously being Shut Outs.

Important: NO NEGATIVE POINTS
No one should feel like they are a detriment to their House. Every point helps!

----

Team Placement

As stated at the top of the post. For this test-run we will be going with a random team split. I've found a site I can load up with names that will randomly place duelists into their houses. ICly we can think of this as sorting.. just, not with a sorting hat? Maybe players put their names into a box and are delivered an invitation to their house once the list is updated. We can look into possible player-teams in the future, but it's hard to make any decisions without proper testing to see how things could go with points.

----

Questions

Possible idea to touch on. Do we randomize via ranks to make sure there's a somewhat even spread between the teams? I think it'd be a good idea to make sure one isn't stacked.
Jake
Top Thug
Top Thug
Warlord of the Boards

Location: Red Orc Brewery, a dueling venue, or the taverns of Badside

Post by Jake »

Addendum to previous:

There might be folks that, for whatever reason, don't want to be part of a house. In that event, scoring would be the same as that of dueling in-house. 1 for the duel +1 for a win for the house member (+1 for a shut-out). No points for the dueler who isn't in a house.
Doesn't hurt the house dueler to duel a non-house dueler, and there's still incentive to duel. Non-house dueler isn't hurting or helping anyone.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

DUEL Olivia wrote:
----

Questions

Possible idea to touch on. Do we randomize via ranks to make sure there's a somewhat even spread between the teams? I think it'd be a good idea to make sure one isn't stacked.
You could randomize by ranks. Split your Barons/Warlords and your Junior tiers up and sort the barons/warlords equally into teams and the lower tiers into the same teams equally. So there's a fairly proportionate number of high/low ranks.
Jake
Top Thug
Top Thug
Warlord of the Boards

Location: Red Orc Brewery, a dueling venue, or the taverns of Badside

Post by Jake »

Claire Farron wrote:
DUEL Olivia wrote:
----

Questions

You could randomize by ranks. Split your Barons/Warlords and your Junior tiers up and sort the barons/warlords equally into teams and the lower tiers into the same teams equally. So there's a fairly proportionate number of high/low ranks.
Ultimately, I am not sure how much it matters.

A good duelist doesn't need Fancies to win. And it seems entirely likely that a few of the duelers might have alts that have no, or lower, rank, but I'd still consider them heavy hitters for whichever house they fight for.

You also run into the situation of what happens after the cycle starts and someone with rank joins in.

So, I think it's ok to make a "best effort" to distribute the higher ranks across the houses, but I wouldn't stress about it overly much.
DUEL Olivia
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by DUEL Olivia »

With the start up we can randomize via ranks, but as things continue on throughout the cycle, new sign ups will just be randomized to wherever the RNG tells it to.

With things as they are progression, we'll hold back on allowing team switches this first go and I'll look back into it after testing.

Also I like the idea Jake, the one about non-house fighters. It'd be something i'll add into the point system.

I'll think things over for the next few days and hopefully have a post up soonâ„¢.

This cycle will be a few weeks shorter due to already being in progress, but it'd still make for good testing.
DUEL Olivia
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by DUEL Olivia »

Eden Parker wrote:I totally see it in the vein of Hogwart's houses or summer camp color wars and I think that could be great fun.

With the color scheme of things. Team Blue, Red, and Green.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

House of Fire sorta draws an association now for DoS to go with FireStar and the Tower of Fire for the fire brand hat trick, whereas the other 2 lack that (though I guess the Wild could loosely be connected to PathFinder and Earth).

I think I'd either make all 3 match up, or make none of them match up. Would probably try to find a replacement for Fire.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

Kalamere wrote:House of Fire sorta draws an association now for DoS to go with FireStar and the Tower of Fire for the fire brand hat trick, whereas the other 2 lack that (though I guess the Wild could loosely be connected to PathFinder and Earth).

I think I'd either make all 3 match up, or make none of them match up. Would probably try to find a replacement for Fire.
DUEL Olivia
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by DUEL Olivia »

I'm drawing a blank of what Fire could be replaced with. Going to need a bit.

House of Sands? Goes with the rings.
House of Blood? Goes with.. well, you know! Blood in the rings.
House of Honor?
Lilith Anderson
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lilith Anderson »

DUEL Olivia wrote:I'm drawing a blank of what Fire could be replaced with. Going to need a bit.

House of Sands? Goes with the rings.
House of Blood? Goes with.. well, you know! Blood in the rings.
House of Honor?
House of Stone (or some sort of Rock)

Then it's rock (Stone), paper (Wyld because trees), scissors (Steel)

So meta
Well, I looked my demons in the eyes
laid bare my chest, said "Do your best, destroy me.
You see, I've been to hell and back so many times,
I must admit you kind of bore me."

~Ray Lamontagne-Empty
DUEL Olivia
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by DUEL Olivia »

Stone = Earth

:(
Lilith Anderson
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lilith Anderson »

DUEL Olivia wrote:Stone = Earth

:(
I mean, if you wanna get technical, "wyld", "steel", and "stone" all could tie to earth considering the wyld is the wild, steel comes from metal which comes from the earth, and stone comes from the earth.
Well, I looked my demons in the eyes
laid bare my chest, said "Do your best, destroy me.
You see, I've been to hell and back so many times,
I must admit you kind of bore me."

~Ray Lamontagne-Empty
DUEL Olivia
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by DUEL Olivia »

:thinking:

I actually like that. It'd be a theme, a cycle of steel.
DUEL Olivia
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by DUEL Olivia »

Steel -- Red

Stone -- Blue

Wilds -- Green

Return to “Duel of Swords (OOC)”