Out of Character message board for the Duel of Swords

Moderator: Staff

Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The Arena and You.

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

Hope posted This.

I know that I've been silent, practically absent for a while now. Actually at the cost of my own tournament, which is my mistake. In trying to be more hands-off, I became negligent. But that's not what I'm posting about.

I want to ask...What does the Arena mean to you, as players, and to your characters?

We all want more stories, but I think some don't know how to go about writing them in regards to the duels and sports. There's talk about politicking and so forth, but what does it really mean? Right?

How well do most fully understand the inter-workings of the Ranks in conjunction with the rules and so forth.

DoS...it is legit about the Barons and the Overlord fighting for control. The Overlord gets into positon and tries to surround themselves with friends and allies to stay there, the Barons supporting the Overlord so they all can keep in control...like Congress.

That alone is fertile soil for stories, but they're character conflict driven. Characters at each other's throats over any little thing.

There won't really be many conflict driven stories, if the characters are all getting along...or players avoid one another because they just don't like that person.

What's a good Arena story? What are the key elements?
~Wanderer of Redemption's Road~
Bane
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Bane »

Politics is well and good (haven't you had enough of that crap with the circus in RL? :p), but I hope that it doesn't get to the same point as when I started. When I started in late '97, DoS was ALL about politics. Any challenge had multiple pages of ...crap (yes, my opinion). I summarily decided that I had no interest in dueling in DoS given the state of the boards, and became a DoF regular.

I think what I'm trying to say is - yes, politics is fine, but don't take it too far.
Sabine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Sabine »

I only came to fangirl. HI Bane! -Wave- ... -Preen-... -Runs off!-
“We spoke eternal things that cannot die.” -Charles Baudelaire, from The Balcony; Fleurs du Mal (tr. by Roy Campbell), 1857
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

Bane wrote:Politics is well and good (haven't you had enough of that crap with the circus in RL? :p), but I hope that it doesn't get to the same point as when I started. When I started in late '97, DoS was ALL about politics. Any challenge had multiple pages of ...crap (yes, my opinion). I summarily decided that I had no interest in dueling in DoS given the state of the boards, and became a DoF regular.

I think what I'm trying to say is - yes, politics is fine, but don't take it too far.
I don't mind pages of crap in a challenge thread, as long as there are story posts going on with them. Not just characters flinging poo at each other in a single thread, but actually narrative of characters meeting with others in secret plots.

Karen and Vanion for example, just an example.
~Wanderer of Redemption's Road~

Return to “Duel of Swords (OOC)”