Trident
18%

Total votes: 11
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

Spell wrote:
Kalamere wrote:This is my long winded way of getting back to the shield changing its appearance based on the Overlord and Squire combination. We, or at least I and I think some of you, already believe it can change its size. Changing its look while still remaining a shield, doesn't seem to so large a divergence from this as to be something we should rule out.
This is me thinking back some five or six years ago, but I recall after winning the Seaside glaive on Apple ( which I thought it was like illidans warglaives from WC3 and not a glaive-glaive for a few months ), I was told by the baroness at the time that they had enchanted it to change appearances. I could be forgetting it wrong, but it's something that stuck out to me, even if it was just player fluff instead of a DoS coord decision. All and all I thought it was a really cool thing at the time when my character was a squire, because it allowed me to look through pictures and try to find one that suited her.
I remember the glaive being turned into baseball bat. It might have been Apple that was using it at the time. After seeing that, I recall asking G about the weapons being allowed to have an alternate form and was told no. I thought info that had been posted, but I'm not finding it anywhere.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

PrlUnicorn wrote:I remember the glaive being turned into baseball bat. It might have been Apple that was using it at the time. After seeing that, I recall asking G about the weapons being allowed to have an alternate form and was told no. I thought info that had been posted, but I'm not finding it anywhere.
I would agree with not changing form to the extent it becomes something else entirely, such as changing the glaive into a bat. The core of what the item is should remain the same. A rapier with or without a bell guard is still a rapier though, just as a shield might be small and round or a large tower shield. The core of what it is stays intact, just the appearance changing to better meet the style of the holder.
Hope
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Beast Mode

Post by Hope »

Kalamere wrote:This is my long winded way of getting back to the shield changing its appearance based on the Overlord and Squire combination. We, or at least I and I think some of you, already believe it can change its size. Changing its look while still remaining a shield, doesn't seem to so large a divergence from this as to be something we should rule out.
I just wanted to say I'm still all-in on this option. I brought up the Crystal Shield idea as a way to show how we can bridge the multiple issues in story-related ways, but really I love the idea of the custom shields. We agree that the Overlord has more prestige than the Barons but the Squire should function the same as the rest. Each Baron Squire has a piece of history in their hands if they choose to when they duel. The Overlord Squire could have a piece of history unique to them. This is something that doesn't break the game, doesn't change how anyone else plays and doesn't infringe on the other Squires. It just makes the bond between an Overlord and their Squire unique to them.

Tl;dr- The Overlord is special and so is their Squire and we can really make it special if we want to and I believe we should.
Andrea Anderson
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Less Than Three

Post by Andrea Anderson »

PrlUnicorn wrote:
Spell wrote:
This is me thinking back some five or six years ago, but I recall after winning the Seaside glaive on Apple ( which I thought it was like illidans warglaives from WC3 and not a glaive-glaive for a few months ), I was told by the baroness at the time that they had enchanted it to change appearances. I could be forgetting it wrong, but it's something that stuck out to me, even if it was just player fluff instead of a DoS coord decision. All and all I thought it was a really cool thing at the time when my character was a squire, because it allowed me to look through pictures and try to find one that suited her.
I remember the glaive being turned into baseball bat. It might have been Apple that was using it at the time. After seeing that, I recall asking G about the weapons being allowed to have an alternate form and was told no. I thought info that had been posted, but I'm not finding it anywhere.
Most likely it had been meant as a way to change the appearance of the spear and not the weapon-type. It was only my second year on the site and I wasn't really that well versed enough in the squire rules since it was my first time. Six years and I'm still lost sometimes reading through things, but that just shows my own inexperience when it comes to the long-length of history this game/community has.

Though in hindsight, I wish someone had pointed it out to me back then so I didn't continue looking like a fool lol.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

The Overlord does have more prestige than barons, and in that way the Overlord's Squire is a higher place of prestige than other Squires. I agree with this as well, but I'm going to keep it to 1 squire item passed from Squire to Squire. This makes the item irreplaceable overall, for me anyway.

While I support the idea that the shield change appearance to reflect the relationship between Overlord and his/her Squire, the cardstock image of the shield when not in any single person's possession should be simple and unassuming. If the person doesn't know what they're looking at, they won't realize what is in their hands. Just like the other Squire items, if they get put on a weapon rack in an armory with others like them, they'll blend in.

This is a viewpoint I've failed at expressing so far. The cardstock image should be that of one a teacher would give a student. Because Squires are Students. Anything amazing and awesome, comes from when the Squire picks up the item, from what's inside of them. I guess that's a radical view. The ability or power of the shield comes to life depending on the Squire. The dormant appearance of the Shield should be bland and normal.

If the player behind the squire wants the shield to transform into something gaudy and ostentatiously glittery, they can do that. If they like the idea of a boring and dented shield that's seen better days, they can do that too. The item can transform but doesn't need to.

This also opens RP elements, what if the Squire can't unlock the power of the shield? Figuring out what they need to do to use the magic? It's not just a grab and go fight. But a student figuring out how to unlock the shield. This could even be something as simple as the Overlord saying "Just remember that the best defense is a good offense."

With that...
The Shield of Gondar

While not having any association with the First Overlord, it is tied to the legacy behind the first Overlord for being the first in Arena Existence. An hoplon style shield of wood with a thin layer of polished bronze over the surface. The Shield of Gondar is known to change its appearance to reflect the Squire using it, though this is not always true. How much the shield can do depends on how much the squire themselves can unlock.

With the nature of previous Squire weapons, the power of the shield can either help or hinder the Overlord's Squire. It holds two enchantments. One allows the squire to reflect light from the surface of the shield in an attempt to blind their opponent and the second allows them to bend light around their person in a momentary chameleon state that does not always work.
~Wanderer of Redemption's Road~
Spell
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Cult of Personality

Post by Spell »

Looks good. Nice name and lore to go along with it. Thanks for going with the transformation idea too, but not making it the full focus.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

Going to give it a week then I'm locking this thread to finalize how to integrate the Squire of Overlord's Isle into the setting, the rules, and a format. Either tournament limited to Master at Arms and below, or the Overlord's discretion.
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Sylus wrote:Going to give it a week then I'm locking this thread to finalize how to integrate the Squire of Overlord's Isle into the setting, the rules, and a format. Either tournament limited to Master at Arms and below, or the Overlord's discretion.
Why introduce the part about M@A and lower for tournaments?

The only limitation on Baron squires is that they must be "any rank beneath Warlord". Beyond that the method of selection is entirely up to them, including a tournament that might include a GM. Since we haven't granted the OL's squire any extra powers, I don't see why a new tourney limitation clause would be necessary.

I think that all that really needs to be done is to go into the squire's section of the rules and do a search and replace on the word "Barons" to change it to "The Overlord and Barons", then add the shield to the Symbols of Station list.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

Kalamere wrote:
Sylus wrote:Going to give it a week then I'm locking this thread to finalize how to integrate the Squire of Overlord's Isle into the setting, the rules, and a format. Either tournament limited to Master at Arms and below, or the Overlord's discretion.
Why introduce the part about M@A and lower for tournaments?

The only limitation on Baron squires is that they must be "any rank beneath Warlord". Beyond that the method of selection is entirely up to them, including a tournament that might include a GM. Since we haven't granted the OL's squire any extra powers, I don't see why a new tourney limitation clause would be necessary.

I think that all that really needs to be done is to go into the squire's section of the rules and do a search and replace on the word "Barons" to change it to "The Overlord and Barons", then add the shield to the Symbols of Station list.
That's what I'm likely going to do.

Return to “Duel of Swords (OOC)”