18%

Total votes: 11
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

JewellRavenlock wrote:
Sylus Kurgen wrote: As a caveat...
I also spoke with Kalamere briefly about why Squires aren't on the DoS History pages with the Barons, or mentioned in the Reign Summaries. Giving the Overlord a Squire, is a good place to start tracking that. But I want to ask if there is any of you that want to go back through the forums and compile a list of who was Squire to which Baron?

Squires have been called a Minor Rank, to my mind..that means they go on the DoS Histories tab, as should the Talon. All on one page.

Is anyone willing to take on this task? I think it's an unfortunate oversight.
I think it'd be great to have them listed on the histories.

But that's kind of off topic. It neither makes up for the fact nor explains why we went from voting on the weapon to you deciding on a weapon that wasn't even listed in the original thread.
It's not off-topic, it's a sidenote. Nothing more.
Sylus Kurgen wrote:In the previous discussion thread, things were leaning towards Dagger, which regardless of opinion does detract from the uniqueness of the Talon, and a Shield. The choices, weren't really choices at all.
^ Dagger vs Shield would have been the vote. Dagger which would actually undermine the Talon, and Shield...which I realized doesn't match the mold set by the other Squire items.

I stopped myself and asked, "Why do the squires have the weapons they do?" and I asked G about it. He informed me that the Squire weapons, their symbols of station, are reflections of the physical location of the Baronies. The districts.

That changed my opinion and my mind about symbol of station for the Overlord Squire.

You're all upset about a decision being taken away. It's reasonable, and I lost some good will with it, apologizing won't fix that, it means I will work harder from now on.

So, to meet you all half way, or my way to try to do that and make it up to you all.

Swap out, Net for a Shield?

And what do YOU think is an appropriate minor enchantment for the Trident?

ETA: Putting a poll up.
~Wanderer of Redemption's Road~
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Post by JewellRavenlock »

You didn't like the results of the vote.. so you decided something different instead?

You're saying the choices weren't really choices at all. That's your personal opinion.

Others clearly thought they were choices. They just happen to be choices that you don't agree with for reasons you stated after taking the decision away.

You said you changed your mind after hearing how the original weapons were decided upon. You changed your opinion.

What about everyone else's opinion?
Corlanthis
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Corlanthis »

JewellRavenlock wrote:. . .What about everyone else's opinion?
Not that I want to defend Sylus here, because I do think it's pretty gauche to get people's opinions and use words like "vote" to describe how things stand in regards to the weapon, then just flip that for no reason.

But, something I want to comment on here is that everyone who isn't Sylus here only has an opinion.

Sylus on the otherhand is the DoS Coordinator and this isn't a democracy. He can take suggestions, ignore suggestions, and do whatever tickles his fancy. It's his call. So, what about everyone else's opinion? Sorry, they aren't the Coordinator.
"LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR? IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?"
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard
Devil's Advocate

Post by Kalamere »

Given the point I made earlier of the squire mod being attached to the squire weapon and therefore believing that it needs to be a singular object and not a pair of objects (do they both get half a mod enchantment then?).. I would like to see "Trident" as one of the options - without shield or net.
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Corlanthis wrote: Sylus on the otherhand is the DoS Coordinator and this isn't a democracy. He can take suggestions, ignore suggestions, and do whatever tickles his fancy. It's his call. So, what about everyone else's opinion? Sorry, they aren't the Coordinator.
You're absolutely right. I guess we should all just be very clear and openly acknowledge that fact: our opinions really don't matter.

Now everyone knows not to waste their breath (I guess.. finger power?).
Hope
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Beast Mode

Post by Hope »

This experience has elucidated me on what's to come so I guess I'm glad to have gotten it now.
Spell
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Cult of Personality

Post by Spell »

Voted shield because we already have 3 pole/polearm type weapons for squires. The shield option also came up with the idea of allowing the Overlord to pass on a custom shield to the Squire, as a way to make the OL squireship and the normal one different.

Edited to show why shield is most viable choice, as it also represents America. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKFwSSe9opc. Plus shield slamming people sounds fun.
Last edited by Spell on Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Goldglo
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by Goldglo »

I also voted shield. It's unique and I think a backstory can be fairly easily woven around it to tie it to the Overlord's Isle just as the other Squire weapons are tied to their respective baronial manors.

--Matt
"If you are thinking a year from now, sow seed. If you are thinking ten years from now, plant a tree. If you are thinking one-hundred years from now, educate the people."

--Kuan Tzu, 5'th century Chinese poet
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Spell wrote:Voted shield because we already have 3 pole/polearm type weapons for squires. The shield option also came up with the idea of allowing the Overlord to pass on a custom shield to the Squire, as a way to make the OL squireship and the normal one different.
Yes, I really love the idea of passing on a custom shield to the squire. Maybe the squire gets to keep it if they rank up? Or just keep it because.
"The smell of her hair, the taste of her mouth, the feeling of her skin seemed to have got inside him, or into the air all round him. She had become a physical necessity."
George Orwell 1984
Spell
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Cult of Personality

Post by Spell »

JewellRavenlock wrote:
Spell wrote:Voted shield because we already have 3 pole/polearm type weapons for squires. The shield option also came up with the idea of allowing the Overlord to pass on a custom shield to the Squire, as a way to make the OL squireship and the normal one different.
Yes, I really love the idea of passing on a custom shield to the squire. Maybe the squire gets to keep it if they rank up? Or just keep it because.
Mods / Fancies are an OOC mechanic to explain advanced moves. It kinda has no place IC, so a duelist who once was a shield-brother/sister of the Overlord could continue using it even after making it to Warlord; or hang it up on their wall as a prize. It just no longer has the mod-ability OOC. That's why I liked the customized idea, since it reflected the OL mantle customization as well and gave the squire its own little perk.

Edit: Like how there's paintings of the former Overlords in the OL Manor. The shield doesn't need to be connected to historical signifigants, it can just be seen as a freshly created gift for the newest Overlord to give out.

We all talk about wanting more RP options with the game, so it doesn't seem that bad.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

Spell wrote:
JewellRavenlock wrote:
Mods / Fancies are an OOC mechanic to explain advanced moves. It kinda has no place IC, so a duelist who once was a shield-brother/sister of the Overlord could continue using it even after making it to Warlord; or hang it up on their wall as a prize. It just no longer has the mod-ability OOC. That's why I liked the customized idea, since it reflected the OL mantle customization as well and gave the squire its own little perk.

Edit: Like how there's paintings of the former Overlords in the OL Manor. The shield doesn't need to be connected to historical signifigants, it can just be seen as a freshly created gift for the newest Overlord to give out.

We all talk about wanting more RP options with the game, so it doesn't seem that bad.
Generally, yes, Mods are an OOC mechanic used to indicate an advanced technique, however with the Squire weapons it pertains more to the magical nature of the weapon. The enchantment.

Keep it to 1 shield that gets passed from Squire to Squire, because that keeps it in the same tradition as the other Squires. You're all heavily interested in the shield, which all ready makes it unique.

I'm against every Overlord being allowed to make a custom shield for their Squire because the other squires don't get to design their weapon of station, the Overlord Squire shouldn't be any different.
Sabine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Sabine »

Sylus Kurgen wrote: I'm against every Overlord being allowed to make a custom shield for their Squire because the other squires don't get to design their weapon of station, the Overlord Squire shouldn't be any different.
It seemed like the general feeling of OL Squire was that it was sort of extrra special to be chosen by the OL, even if the mod advantage from the weapon is the same.

I liked the OL getting to design it for their Squire, seemed like a cool element of play that wouldn't really affect anyone in a negative way or make extra work.

Perhaps the design is an "enchantment" and so it's the same shield but can be enchanted to look different? In addition to a special thing is does... like... returning to the Squire after being thrown or something.
“We spoke eternal things that cannot die.” -Charles Baudelaire, from The Balcony; Fleurs du Mal (tr. by Roy Campbell), 1857
Spell
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Cult of Personality

Post by Spell »

Sylus wrote:Generally, yes, Mods are an OOC mechanic used to indicate an advanced technique, however with the Squire weapons it pertains more to the magical nature of the weapon. The enchantment.
I'm going to need to see where this is said. All I see is that each weapon has some sort of ability / drawback that can be easily said is for RP reasons, but there isn't anything in the rules post about how this is how they get their mod ability -- since mods are an OOC mechanic.
Claire Gallows
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Eternal Light

Location: Dunmovin (Outside of Rhydin City), Underwood (New Haven), or Caelum Training Center

Post by Claire Gallows »

I'm against every Overlord being allowed to make a custom shield for their Squire because the other squires don't get to design their weapon of station, the Overlord Squire shouldn't be any different.
On the contrary, I think if the Overlord gets a squire that they should be distinguished by something different from the other squires. Custom shields a la the OL belts is a great way to do that.
Sylus Kurgen
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Sylus Kurgen »

Claire Farron wrote:
On the contrary, I think if the Overlord gets a squire that they should be distinguished by something different from the other squires. Custom shields a la the OL belts is a great way to do that.
I'm looking at numbers also. How many Squires do most Barons go through in a year? What if an Overlord names a squire and that player disappears from the standings after getting their shield? How many former squires will it be before naming a new one isn't anything special because they all have a shield from their tenure?

It's already been said that Squires don't deserve a place in the histories, so why should the Squire of Overlord Island be distinguished from other squires...outside of having the honor of being the Overlord's squire?

Return to “Duel of Swords (OOC)”