DoS Community Discussion: New Cycle Rankings tab and possible prize talk.

Out of Character message board for the Duel of Swords

Moderator: Staff

PC
Adventurer
Adventurer
Location: Offices above the Pachinko Palace in Kabuki, at the Arena or Annex.

DoS Community Discussion: New Cycle Rankings tab and possible prize talk.

Post by PC » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:57 pm

Hey DoS Community! Kalamere has been nice enough to make an update to the standings! As you can see we now have a cycle ranking system much like the RoK rankings in DoM! If you'd like to see the new Cycle Rankings tab, please visit the DoS Standings page(link).

So first off I'd like to give Kalamere a big shout out and thank him for this!

Secondly, I'd like for the DoS community to come together and think of a prize! Something to be given out for the top duelist who's at or above a 50% win rate, while having over 8+ duels at the end of the cycle.

Examples:
A test-free challenge right?
The lost Memento? ( A cycle-long perk which gives a duelist of any rank the ability to fight as a baron would. This does not stack and has a maximum of 5 fancies, 4 to be used against anyone below Warlord -- and should a memento holder become a Baron of an Overlord, their new title will supersede the Memento's ability. A Lost Memento holder can't challenge for a title unless they are of Warlord rank. )
WoL Prize?

And what about those who brave the sport while opting out of the no loss system? Should they get a bonus for coming out on top at the end of a cycle?

Come at us with your ideas!

Edit: Fixed a few mistakes and added the part about needing to be in the top 8+ duels bracket, since I was dumb and forgot it. :sob:
- Na-rae Takamine
Duel of Swords Coordinator
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard

Re: DoS Community Discussion: New Cycle Rankings tab and possible prize talk.

Post by Kalamere » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:22 pm

I like the idea of a challenge right, but not test-free. I'd say it's a right to challenge if won by someone below Warlord, or a grantable right if won by a warlord of higher. Alternatively, if a warlord, they get a challenge and the right to name their own champion if tested.

Actually, reading the Lost Memento makes me think of another avenue to go with the "fight as a baron" idea. Maybe they win the <insert interesting item name> that allows them to step in on a challenge once during the course of the cycle. Meaning they can apply their own test or worthiness to a challenger and act as a roadblock as the OL would, or they can step in to perform the right to challenge as a renegade baron would and defend someone else's challenge right.
Goldglo
Coordinator
Coordinator

Post by Goldglo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:56 am

I like the Lost Memento as a potential prize.
"If you are thinking a year from now, sow seed. If you are thinking ten years from now, plant a tree. If you are thinking one-hundred years from now, educate the people."

--Kuan Tzu, 5'th century Chinese poet
PC
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by PC » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:00 pm

Kalamere wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:22 pm
I like the idea of a challenge right, but not test-free. I'd say it's a right to challenge if won by someone below Warlord, or a grantable right if won by a warlord of higher. Alternatively, if a warlord, they get a challenge and the right to name their own champion if tested.

Actually, reading the Lost Memento makes me think of another avenue to go with the "fight as a baron" idea. Maybe they win the <insert interesting item name> that allows them to step in on a challenge once during the course of the cycle. Meaning they can apply their own test or worthiness to a challenger and act as a roadblock as the OL would, or they can step in to perform the right to challenge as a renegade baron would and defend someone else's challenge right.
Could be a mixture of both? An item that can be held throughout the cycle that can be used for either a challenge with the option of being able to name your own champion, or can be used to act as a champion for a challenger / for a title holder? So a player can hold onto it and choose what sort of perk they'd like to use it for.
- Na-rae Takamine
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard

Post by Kalamere » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:09 am

Seems reasonable and I like the choice, given the opportunity for one or the other may not come up in a given cycle. I would make it a one shot thing though. I think you indicated that, but I wasn't positive in the phrasing.
PC
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by PC » Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:54 pm

Kalamere wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:09 am
Seems reasonable and I like the choice, given the opportunity for one or the other may not come up in a given cycle. I would make it a one shot thing though. I think you indicated that, but I wasn't positive in the phrasing.
Yeah. It'd be a one shot with an one or the other choice stipulation. The idea was to have it act like a cycle-long bonus for the winner and would no longer be usable once the cycle came to an end. Would this be a good idea or should it be something they can hold onto? It'd be pretty easy to track I suppose, but I'm wondering what could happen if someone held multiple.
- Na-rae Takamine
Kalamere
Black Wizard
Black Wizard

Post by Kalamere » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:00 pm

I'd just say they have it for a cycle, since it's a cycle based reward and somebody else gets to play for the next go around. In that sense it's sorta like the baron title rights themselves. While you're a renegade baron you get to insert yourself into the test of worthiness and champion the challenger. If that scenario never presents itself while you're a baron (or before you turn loyal), then you never get to use the power.

Luck of the dice in that one, but you still get bragging rights and a nifty title or object to hold onto for 3 months.

Return to “Duel of Swords (OOC)”