The Nameless One - Part 2 Chapter 1 - Rising in the Ranks

It was never meant to be

Moderators: The Amazing Nova, Kayla

Nameless
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

The Nameless One - Part 2 Chapter 1 - Rising in the Ranks

Post by Nameless »

A loud applause and cat-calls rang through the arena after the show of bloodshed. Whistles from young men and claps of approval from the old ones. The half-elf walked out of the arena without so much of a nod from the caller or a wave to the specatators. Another dueler lay in the sands to be dragged out of the arena. She sat down at a hidden table in the corner. It was her tenth duel this week and she was doing remarkably well. Out of her two weeks dueling she had nine wins, three ties and one loss out of the thirteen challenges. She was now ranked Master at Arms and was a force to be reckoned with.

Her name was second on the Rising in the Ranks list, which indicated how fast you were increasing in rank with some other modifiers that she didn't have the time to care about. A young man with jet dark black hair and handsome grey eyes came up to her. He was clean which was quite a different thing for her to see.

"Hey there, I think you've earned yourself a drink. Want to grab some wine with me?" He asked politely but the look in his eyes decieved him as there was more he wanted.

She leaned forward and emotionlessly said to him "Duel me first, if you win, I will drink as much as you like, if I win..." she let the sentence hang. The young man raised an eyebrow.

"You know who I am? Mike Corint. I'm a Grand Master and third on the Rising Ranks...you want to risk it?" She gave a small smirk and headed to the ring while he informed the caller.

"Well folks! We got ourselves another show tonight! Miss Mystery as you patrons have dubed her is taking on the magnificent Mike Corint. Duelers, begin when ready!" The caller announced it making a big deal of the whole situation.

Mike started circling her in the ring while she stood in position turning slightly to keep him centered. He opened with a thrust, obnoxious of him she thought. A nicley timed stop hit prevented that one from coming. Then came a few rounds of gambling with parries and cuts. On the fifth round he lost his first fancy by doing a high end parry while she cut him low. By the seventh round they were tied three-three. An on-coming high cut was timley blocked by a parry from the half-elf, and to add in an extra punch she cut him accross the chest earning her the fancy point. Leading 4-3 she paused for a moment to lock eyes with him, and suddenly he slashed as she circular parried causing a deep wound. She showed the briefest pain wincing slightly as the weapon cut through. Tied 4-4 she was warry, this was her closest duel yet. Her anger got the best of her and she thrusted forward as he blocked her incoming sword.

"Well, folks, you've seen it and so have I! Mike Corint defeats our lovely lady and what a sight that was! The que's closed up and have a great evening. Your caller and host, Johnny."

She stared at him, she lost. How could she have lost the duel? As her brother, curse the man for leaving, would've said 'you're not invincible.' The young man smiled and helped her out of the ring. "Congratulations, now, if I remember, we have a bet to settle."

When they reached the bar he grabbed a glass of wine and to her surprised asked her what she wanted. "Arthin wine" she replied. He smiled generously and retrieved her drink for her. Fortunatley Arthin wine had no alcohol so while he got drunk she could remain sober and leave him there.

"Smart choice...a non-alcoholic drink" he smiled setting down his wine. "I know it wasn't part of the bet, but I think that instead of making you drink as much wine as I feel fit that you go for a stroll with me." She raised an eyebrow and said nothing as he lead her out of the arena down the streets. "You're very quiet, but I don't mind. I think that you're a wonderful duelist and very beautiful" He paused and watched as she remained tense ready to run at any moment. "I was wondering if you wouldn't mind going for a dinner date with me. You pick where and when, I'll buy it." He smiled at her hoping she accepted the offer.

"I owe you something, and I suppose that's how I'll pay it off. Tomorrow night at whatever restaurant you feel appropriate. Meet me at the docks no later then seven."

He tooke her hand and kissed it "It's a date."

She looked at her hand shocked and then nodded a goodbye and headed towards the docks. It was time to meet Rick of Fists.

------------------------

The shadow followed her once she left the arena with that young man. So she was getting date offers now. Just like her to make the men fall over her. The human listened to her conversation and then watched her leave towards to the docks. Interesting, where was she headed now?
~Chaos and Order are not enemies, only opposites~
Nameless
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

The Nameless One - Part 2 Chapter 2 - Rick

Post by Nameless »

She silently crept down by the docks and instantly spotted the man she was looking for. The half-elf snuck up behind him "Rick?" The man turned around shocked and confused, he was old with ragged hair and unsightly clothes.

"Yeah, and who would you be?"

"A possible employer. I would like you to teach me Fists."

"You would like that wouldn't you. Sorry, can't help you, good-bye." Rick turned around and headed away. The woman sharply threw a small hand dagger so that it whizzed just past his ear to land on the post infront of him. Slowly he turned around.

"I suppose I could make a...slight exception." The half-elf gave a small smirk.

"Next week, the outback, this time." And with that she was off to leave the old man wondering what just happened.

She had gathered a bit of information on what was surrounding the area, about the baronies owning land and the boundries she was in. She decided that after tomorrow night she was going to take a small trip and get a look for herself of the land she was in.

------The Following Night------

She waited impatiently at the docks wanting to get this over with. Then he came. Mike Corint, handsome and excellent at the art of dueling. She said nothing to him as he took her hand leading her towards an old restaurant. The sign was faded but she didn't bother asking the name.

"Well Mystery Woman.....I do hope I'm not calling you that by the end of our date...what would you like to eat?"

"*Roasted Alamoria, Supreme Katazon and perhaps a bit of Mizra" she responded, forgetting that they probably didn't have that here. With a quick look at his face she realized she was probably right. "Nevermind, I'll have the Roast and Toast specialty."

Mike just gave a smile and placed their orders. After the waiter had left he leaned back to look at his date. "So...what brings you about RhyDin, I'm quite sure that you aren't from around here."

"I'm a traveller" she answered shortly. She wasn't about to give anything about herself away if she could help it. "And you?"

He laced his fingers and started off "Well, I was born on Earth, I went to University and studied to be a lawyer. I heard there was good oppurtunities here so I moved. I've lived here for...about five years and plan on staying much longer."

She nodded slightly to let him no she wasn't drifting off, their meal came quickly and she carefully started eating.

"Before I begin to rattle on...why don't you tell me more about yourself. Where you came from, how long you're going to be here. I wouldn't like to do all the talking." He gave her quick wink which, normally, would've fazed the woman he was talking to.

"My history is my own, to give disclosure of it to you is not appropriate at this time." She continued to eat in silence while he gazed at her.

"You know, I've got quite the house not far from the Talanador Estate...maybe you could stop by some time to see it?"

"I'll make a note" she replied briefly. They finished the meal quickly and got up. She started to leave towards the forest when he caught her hand and pulled her back.

"Would you mind going on another date next week sometime?" She pondered briefly the request.

"Wednesday night, meet me at the arena at seven."

"As you wish" he let go of her hand as she slipped away. He smiled to himself and then headed back towards his house.

--------------------

The shadow watched from a distant table his prey's date. When they left he got up swiftly and followed this Mike Corint. He waited until the man got to his horse before he twisted back his arm and pulled out the dagger to rest just below his Adam's apple.

"You harm her, and I will slit your throat." The human was quiet yet sincere.

"Of course, I have no intent of harming her." Mike replied with a calmness that carefully masked his fear.

He pressed the dagger closer and leaned to whisper in Mike's ear "Don't mention this to her, or she will be in greater danger then she is now." The dagger fell away and the shadow was gone without a sound. Mike gently rubbed his throat and climbed up on the horse.

"I may have just landed more then a Mystery" he chuckled and was gone.
~Chaos and Order are not enemies, only opposites~

Return to “Fractured Realities”