The Nameless One - Part 1 Chapter 1 - RhyDin

It was never meant to be

Moderators: The Amazing Nova, Kayla

Nameless
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

The Nameless One - Part 1 Chapter 1 - RhyDin

Post by Nameless »

Her quick silver eyes darted about the town they called RhyDin. It was the sort of place she'd been looking for. A place for many a morkta. The pale face stood out in the shadows of the town, she quietly headed towards the gloomy forest.

Picking a nice dark secluded spot she started building a shelter amongst the trees. Using some of the special skills her mother had taught her she created a sturdy fort high up in the branches of an oak. She lay down quietly in a bed of moss and leaves, tomorrow she would go out into RhyDin.

--------------

A shadowy figure sat quietly in the bushes while the half-elf fell into a world of dreams. Waiting there until the moon reached it's highest point then silently it crept up the tree and into the shelter. A small hint of a smile could be detected from underneath the rough hood. The shadow longed to wake her, to have her grace the green eyes once more. It was not time though. No, it was patience that the human needed, something that humans lacked often.

|Many Days Later|

The first trip into the town of RhyDin had been uneventful. She had kept in the shadows, not wishing to be seen. The people there were ruthless like her, but had no sense of Suné. Honor was one of the most important things needed in a battle. She discovered that there were those who killed for sport and didn't mind taking another life, she despised those who were like that. And then there were those who would not take a life, even in self-defense, she though that was plain idiocy. And then there were those like her, who knew killing might be necessary but that killing for sport was not right in any sort of world.

She had visited yesterday again, it was different, there was talk of how a Warlord was killed in the arena by a man named Kress. The way people spoke about it was as if it was a usual occurence. This place was in turmoil, the Dark Ages. Watching her back became more and more of a habit as the days wore on.

--------------

The human followed her in the shadows, undetectable. The half-elf was good at being hidden and being secret, but the shadow that followed was better. You could've considered it a guardian angel, in a twisted sense. The human watched it's prey, it waited and was patient. An unusal thing for a human. When the sun finished climbing the sky to the point of least secrecy the stalker left it's prey. It would come again, the half-elf was not yet rid of her unknown follower.
Last edited by Nameless on Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Chaos and Order are not enemies, only opposites~
Nameless
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

The Nameless One - Part 1 Chapter 2 - Strangers

Post by Nameless »

The sun rose and the birds chirped. A pleasant noise for most, the half-elf found it mildly calming. She quickly bathed in a cold stream and then headed out to the town of RhyDin once again. She lurked in the shadows a bit then made her way into a decent-looking establishment. The pale sign above faintly reading "The Cup of Iron". It had many corners and shadows and was full of people. Perfect. Quietly she sat at a far away corner and looked around her. Gossip and rumors flowed from mouth to mouth. People whispered, some shouted and others just drank their beverages. An old man worked behind the counter. He had gray strands of hair coming from his mostly bald head. And he was wrinkled all over, with dark spots disfiguring is already unsightful body and face. His eyes looked darkened but behind them was a mystery. Not unlike hers. He spotted her, no, he not only spotted her but he also saw through her. His look made her feel vunerable but she did not show it.

The man whispered to a young skinny boy, not older then twelve and then walked towards the half-elf. His clothes were tattered and his cloak was torn. He sat down beside the young woman.

"Ur new around here missy." It wasn't a question but more of a statement demanding an explanation.

No response.

"I make it a point to know whose who...ur name missy," he demanded.

Silence

"I said ur name" his voice began to rise

Her eyes shot a glare at him and he settled a bit.

"If not a name then a purpose to ur visit."

More silence.

The man leaned back in the chair and looked at her long and hard. After twenty or so minutes he finally leaned closer. The smell of a smoked pipe was on his breath, it made the girl want to gag.

"I'll be watchin u girl." With that he left, not a word, not a look. The half-elfs eyes followed him. A young man, almost identical to the boy at the counter came beside her. Skinny, oily dark hair and blue eyes. He didn't look like a threat, but the half-elf knew not to judge by apperances.

"'es an interestin' character to say the least, and a bit rough around the edges aint 'e? Don't mind him though, 'es just been a bit moody since ma pa left. 'e happens to own da place but 'es bin gone for just about a week." The young man obviously wasn't around here as you could tell by the heavy accent. He must've come from the place called Earth.

"You are new 'ere though eh? Well, best to keep yer wits about ya. Dis place gives me da creeps. I'm leavin' as soon as pa will let me. A little o'er protective 'e is. I told 'im 'Pa, you can't hold me down forever. I'll leave in da middle of da night ifen I have to.' He weren't to pleased with dat. He said that I was grounded for a weeks time. Anyway, I best get goin or Mr. Grim over there is gonna give me da strap. You keep your wits about yourself miss. You're quite the package, despiter yer eirey look about ya." He obviously wasn't to protective of his information and had quite the mouth. When he left the half-elf stood up and left quietly for more wanderings.

------------

The shadowy figure followed her around and when they got to the "Cup of Iron" it found a spot a few tables away. The hood was pulled down so not a thing could be seen. Watching with cautiosness the human noticed the visitors and became very wary of the both of them. When the girl left the shadow followed not far behind and kept a close eye on her.
Nameless
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

The Nameless One - Part 1 Chapter 3 - The Arena

Post by Nameless »

It was time to take a trip to this 'arena'. She quietly walked down the old creaky steps to see a lot of people. Atleast 1/4 if not half were highly drunk from some sort of party. She was thankful for her ability to keep herself unnoticed at will. The caller was calling a match between two duelists, they were dueling with sharpened swords and came out with many cuts and bruises. The two of them both went up the steps congratulating eachother.

A handsome young man stood up on one of the tables and called down to everyone. "Which ever of ye defeats me shall gain 50 gold pieces" and then with that pulled out a pouch obviously full of gold coins. For some reason though, no one stepped up to the match. "What? Are ye all chickens! Fight me I say! Fight me!" He was arrogant, and rude and making quite the seen.

The half-elf was surprised no one was stepping up to the challenge to put him in his place. Sickened by his arrogance she stepped out of the shadows took out her sharpened short sword and went into the ring. The young man smiled with glee and the viewers whispered to eachother hurridley.

"Begin yer duel" announced the caller. The young man bowed and she nodded slightly. He started off agressive doing a series of dual cuts and thrusts. She remained defensive gaining many advantages.

"What a pathetic way to duel! Remaing defensive." She promptly earned her first wound when she parried the wrong way and he cut her leg viciously. Her anger was forthwith kindled. She thrusted with a vengance right under his high cut.

"There we go! A match I say!" his arrogance got the better of him. They were matched 4-3 for her and then quickly with skill she slashed through his parry earning her the win. "Why you cursed and filthy..." she let him rant on.

Plucking the pouch from his shirt pocket she left him there bleeding and cursing. Not a word had been uttered, she just left from the shadows. The patrons began to gossip. Let them spread their rumors she thought, I've made my mark.

------------

The shadow watched her leave the rude man in the ring. The caller was astonished, obviously this man was significant enough to cause a stir when beaten. The human tapped a young lady who was laughing at the scene. "Why would no one else challenge him?" He inquired.

"That man over there is a rude arrogant snob. However, he'll kill the first chance he gets, he probably went soft on her though so she would come back for more. He lets the newbies off easily for the first match, but he'll kill if it comes ta it, especially if 'e knows ye. 'e also happens to be a Warlord, so no one wanted ta risk it. He'll be humbled now the filth." The lady turned from him and started talking to her friends. The man wanted to tell the half-elf, but he couldn't reveal himself. Not as of yet.
Nameless
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

The Nameless One - Part 1 Chapter 4 - Miss Mystery

Post by Nameless »

The half-elf awoke to the sound of people walking in the forest. Immediatly she got up and quietly climbed the tree to a branch above her home. There were two young men, slightly younger then her and coming from a morkta in the ring.

"David, that was one sweet move you pulled. Scared the crap outta me."

The other young man laughed "Quite the finisher, I sure enjoy fists a lot more then swords. I think the arena is a place for wimps don't you?"

"Hey watch it buddy, Sue does swords every now and then."

"Alright Mark, it's a place for wimps AND girls."

The two of them laughed and kept going, the half-elf dropped silently from the branch to a lower one until she reached the bottom. She followed the two of them wanting to gather some news.

"Speaking of swords, did you hear about that chic who took on Jokra?"

"Someone took on Jokra huh, pity."

"No, she beat him. The girl actually beat him, and I guess she got like 50 gold from it too."

"No way David, you're pulling my leg. Jokra wouldn't let a rookie take 50 gold from him like that."

"Serious, I hear she also didn't say word the whole match. Real silent, didn't even say her name to the caller which is usually required."

The half-elf accidentaly stepped on an old branch causing a sharp *crack*. The two boys stopped and looked back, just catching a glimpse of the half-elfs silver-white hair.

"Did you see that?"

"Yeah, come on" the two of them went to where they saw the hair disappear and found nothing. Had they looked up they would have seen a young girl hanging from a branch right above them.

They kept searching, the half-elf dropped down behind them and took out two daggers, one from each side of her belts. She quietly and swiftly pressed them gently to their backs.

"What do they call this girl" she ask pointedly. The two of them froze the moment they felt steel to their spine.

"M-many n-names ma'am," said the boy Mark.

"The m-m-most c-common name is Miss M-mystery," finished David.

The half elf thought for a moment. Then quickly withdrew the daggers and ran through the trees back to the fort. The boys turned around hoping to spy the one who had held the daggers.

"You don't think...was that her?" David asked.

"I dunno, I say we get away from this place though. I don't want no more daggers in my back." The boys hurried away as Miss Mystery looked down at them with a small smile.

--------------

That shadow went around RhyDin while his prey was still yet sleeping, or so he thought. He heard bits and pieces of gossip but one small detail interested him.

"Aye, 'er name be Miz Mystery. At least that's what they call 'er. She lives up to the title though." Said a woman of about thirty or so.

He'd have to remember the name, it would be useful later on.
Nameless
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

The Nameless One - Part 1 Chapter 5 - Fists

Post by Nameless »

She'd seen the arena, she'd seen the town, it was time to go find something new. The half-elf found herself wandering into the Outback and the first thing she noticed was the Styx. Wonderful, absolutley wonderful. That would be her prime fighting place if she learned how to fight here.

" 'scuse me miss, but we're not open fer fighters tonight" said a woman, around thirty years. She was smoking a cigarette, had dark caved in eyes and choppy black hair.

The half-elf just sort of glanced at her and walked over to the Styx.

"Hey! You just hold it right there" said the woman who ran over to her and stood between her and her goal. "I said we're closed, did you not hear me?"

The half-elf pondered for a moment and looked at the woman. "Whats this place called?"

"Huh? Oh, this place is the Outback and that yer starin' at is the Styx."

"Teach me how to fight the way you do here." The woman stared her down not put off by her silence and few words.

"A please an' thank ya woulda been nice. I can't teach ya, I know who can though."

The half-elf just raised her eyebrows.

"His names Rick, drunk most o' the time but 'e can sure pack a punch when 'es sober. He knows fists better then any o' them. Was Diamond a couple o' times." The woman paused thoughtfully. "You can usually find the bastard hangin' out down at the docks."

The half-elf nodded and started walking out. "My names Cris, yours?"

Without looking back the half-elf kept going. "Ahh, your that Mizz Mystery" the woman concluded.

Return to “Fractured Realities”