I Wonder What The King Is Doing Tonight

Moderator: DUEL Tex

Camelot CEO
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

I Wonder What The King Is Doing Tonight

Post by Camelot CEO »

The CEO of Camelot Corporation leaned with his forehead against the thick glass of his high-rise office window. The building stood tall - though by no means the tallest in the city. His ego was big but not that big. The high rise, called The Silver Tower stood 60 floors and he was currently in a corner office of the 40th. From here, he could see the miniscule citizens that surrounded his every waking moment as they really were. Less than he, worthy rarely, if ever, to see him walk among them.

They hurried to and fro in their errands with little more purpose than the insects they resembled. They scurried, lost without their cell, their pages, their reliance on things electronic and gadgets aplenty: that which his company producted... that which the city and the world at large labeled "technology." By God he adored technology but there was one difference between the CEO and the menials below him - he did not trust it.

They did, those lesser beings. They trusted it with their lives, their appointments, their most intimate secrets. They bought the tag lines his scheming advertising department carefully nurtured through print, television, computer pop ups and even movie "commercials," that the Camelot Corporation could bring a series of shining moments into their lives. The movie commercial was a stroke of brilliance; an old idea whose time was reborn only a few years ago in which commercial spots ran in the same company with movie previews - something the moviegoer adored. The CEO knew people who were at the movies early just to catch the previews. Now they caught his propaganda and they endured it, in fact, ate it up due to the quality of the ads used during preview time. They were mini-movies, with all the special effects and glitz of the genuine article. These movie spots ran only once per showing because the viewing public could only suspend it's disbelief so far. The audience said to themselves, "If you'll just let us get on with the feature, we might even buy that Camelot Cells reach farther, sound clearer and look cooler all while keeping the rain from falling until after sundown."

Camelot's CEO pushed away from the window against which he leaned. His brilliantly white teeth glimmered in a smile reflected against the glass. He could see the designer, suit of dove gray he wore in the reflection as well. It was shot through with real silver thread so fine the shimmer of it in the material seemed to belong to the man not the suit. The vest was whisper fine 24k gold silk. It was worth more than most people earned in a quarter and he had already forgotten the designer's name. By next week he'd be just another flash in the pan, as it were. Perhaps the CEO would donate the suit to some auction house once the ribbon cutting of his new nightclub was finished. The thought pleased him.

He studied himself a moment longer in the shimmer of sun that glinted off the windows of the neighboring tower. A white collarless silk shirt finished off his sophisticated look.

"Dim," he ordered softly and the scene of hustle and bustle below faded to a smoky gold that bathed the office in perpetual artificial sunset. The close of day delighted him no end because it brought with it night's promise. Taking a slow, sweet breath, he turned to the one other person in the room and paused when he realized for the third time that day that his friend and confidant was gone never to return. The sweet breath turned vaguely sour in his mouth. Robert Ely, savior, mentor, friend and long time servant had, sadly, gone off the deep end several years ago and the CEO ended the man's employment with the Corporation. As a result, Ely had ended his own life. Dealing with that ugly issue had taken some time away from things and people he had not desired to leave. Like a design flaw in a bit of fancy tech, it could not be predicted or avoided, but it would be corrected.

Instead of that loyal -if over exuberant- friend, there stood someone he was finding hard to trust yet necessary to use. He didn't like that at all. The CEO dusted his shoulder length golden brown hair from his face, pulled out his richly appointed leather desk chair with a long-fingered artist's hand and sat down.

He gazed at a few papers on his desk, keeping the man standing rigidly across from him waiting several heartbeats longer. Then the CEO raised blue eyes so disturbingly pale that they seemed made of white samite to regard his new assistant.

"Tell me David," he began, his voice silky smooth and startling easy to listen to as he reassessed the looks of the man before him: jade eyes, warm brown hair, a healthy glow. A shade younger than he would have liked. The Boss smiled. "Are the promotions in place?"
Camelot CEO
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

I Wonder What The King Is Doing Tonight Pt. 2

Post by Camelot CEO »

David shook off the hypnosis of the CEO's voice by clearing his throat and gave a single nod. "Your latest acquisition will soon be appearing as the feature focus of Camelot Corporation's next movie house commercial. It will run with the opening of 'Round Table'," a movie Camelot Corporation has invested heavily in, "all over the country."

"Did you make the final corrections? I didn't like the way the girl in the spot was thrown off the bed. Even ladies of the evening need to be shown respect by CC, David. After all, they buy our products."

"Yes. Yes sir, that was changed. Would you like to see the new promo?"

The CEO smiled tenderly. "Isn't that why you're here?"

David blinked his jade eyes and opened his mouth to speak then realized his answer needed to be exactly what his Boss expected. "Of course sir. Let me run that for you."

Setting down his packet of papers, DVDs and streamlined CC lap-pad, David moved immediately to the wall across from the Boss' desk. In moments he'd opened the doors concealing a built in movie screen - full sized. As the lights dimmed in response to the opening of the doors, David queued up the latest promo for Camelot Corporation's Rugged Eagle cell phone.

An exterior shot of a tavern & gentleman's club (the name of which can only be partially seen but reads "asmine") opens the promo. A voiceover sounding remarkably like Barry White, pours like warm honey from the speakers. When you're out for a night on the town, don't trust those last minute calls to any ordinary cell, baby. The shot zooms through a window lit with golden light... inside men, with women in their laps, are laughing, a mellow song by the King plays, drinks are being consumed happily - clearly the viewer easily imagines himself in this place.

Cut to a third floor room... a man sitting up in bed, inferior brand cell in his hand, a woman supine beside him. You just never know when they'll work and when they won't... Barry continues. The man in the bed half shouts into the phone, "What was that baby? A gallon of milk? I can't hear you... "

The woman beside him reaches to the nightstand and pulls out her CC Rugged Eagle. "Wanna call her back on mine?"

This line, of course, goes through quite clearly to the woman on the other end of the man's cell. Screaming ensues from her end but the phone dies as the happy hooker smiles toward the camera. "I always get a rise out of my Rugged Eagle," she says.

"Ah, that's definitely an improvement." The CEO smirked as he stood and circled around the table. David fumbled but finally got the doors to shut on the screen as the spot faded away. The Boss rested a hand on David's shoulder and felt the faint shudder as David looked into his remarkable eyes. "There are one or two more things I think need a tweak. Let's have a drink to celebrate and discuss them, shall we?"

"Y-yes sir."

The CEO's smirk rounded into a full, irresistble smile.

Return to “Tales from the Wild Jasmine”