Power Breakfast

Moderator: DUEL Tex

DUEL Tex
RoH Official
RoH Official

Power Breakfast

Post by DUEL Tex »

The 1972 El Camino came roaring down the street. The powerful engine caused nearby windows to rattle as it cruised forward. Pedestrians on the sidewalk scanned the skyline to see what airline pilot was foolishly flying low only to see the magnificent black beast thunder by them at an alarming rate. As they were passed they would find a way to anchor themselves to the street in an effort not to be pulled in the mighty cars' wake. Eyes strained in an effort to behold the artistry of the Chevrolet motor company, ears strained to drown out the racket of a sound system that strove to rise above the 402 big block.

Car and music came to an abrupt stop in front of a small little dinner at the corner of 33rd and Huntington. The engine rattled a bit as the driver did a quick parallel park job in front of the Early Bird diner. The engine abruptly ceased its cacophony of sound, the driver's side door swung open and the worn boots of Robert Braxxx hit the cracked asphalt of the inner city street. Reaching back behind into the car he snatched up his hat to block the rays from the early morning sun from striking his bleary eyed vision. Robert locked the car, turned and scanned the street to meet with the various eyes that peered from hidden locations. A car like Robert's usually did not last long in the location it was brought to rest at. Either it disappeared totally or various pieces somehow detached themselves and walked away to find better homes on other automobiles. Robert's look was intended for the various shadowy travel agents who would book passage for those parts to vacation at better locations.

Robert turned and headed around the car and up onto the cracked sidewalk. Bums lined the outside of the diner trying to prey upon the generosity of the early morning breakfast crowd. As was his habit, Robert searched out the one that had the most creatively written sign. "Help me please, my wife was kidnapped by space aliens. Help me raise money to build a spacecraft to challenge the evil hordes of planet XYZ" Robert marched past the empty coffee cups and their rattling change to address the author of the eye-catching sign. Withdrawing his bankroll he pulled out a twenty, holding in his hand so that Hemmingway could see the grim face of Andrew Jackson between his fingers. Earnest could see the bill quite clearly and Robert was positive that the greed in his eyes was not at the prospect of building that new space fighter but to add another bottle of Mad Dog 20/20 to the collection of empties that surrounded him.

"Is he in there, Earnest?" Robert inquired his hand beginning to twist and manipulate the bill between his fingers. The crisp bill began to shrink within the palm of his hand causing Earnest to respond quickly. "Yeah, yeah" His eyes were pleading as Andrew disappeared faster than a promised republican tax cut. "He got here twenty minutes ago. He is sitting inside the third booth. Just ordered a Danish."

Robert smiled and forked over the cash already heading for the door. His hand stopped on the worn doorknob and he turned back to the newly rich author. "Do you have a pen?" Robert looked at the bum who was scanning him trying to see if this was some trick. Earnest had earned his twenty bucks and he didn't want his newfound benefactor to have second thoughts on him. Reaching into the dirty pockets of his faded jeans Earnest produced a pen, obviously the very same one that had inked his catchy sign. Robert took the pen with a smile and turned the man's hand over. Robert began scratching numbers on the bum's dirty palm "I want you to call this number, ask for Colonel Matt Simon." Robert's head nodded up and down and his eyes scanned the bum who was staring at his now tattooed hand in disbelief "Tell Colonel Simon about your poor wife. He will be able to provide you with some type of vehicle so you can go snatch your wife back. In fact, you play your cards right, you can probably convince Simon to go fetch her for you personally." As Robert disappeared into the diner the bum stared at his hand a moment than gave a weak wave "God bless you, sir."
DUEL Tex
RoH Official
RoH Official

Power Breakfast Pt. 2

Post by DUEL Tex »

Robert stepped through the door and saw the assorted breakfast crowd huddled up at the counter sifting through the questionable cuisine of one of Rhydin’s greasiest spoons. The place was packed but Robert bumped his way through the grumbling assortment of laborers to reach the table he was looking for.

“How goes it Roy?” Braxxx asked of the dark skinned man poking at the Danish on his plate. The man’s overly large eyes looked up at Braxxx and then studied the Danish again and his lips curled into a frown “I don’t know if this is a pastry or a hubcap.” Braxxx eased himself into the opposite seat and folded his hands on the cool formica table. His green eyes passed over Roy’s breakfast and then to Roy himself. “I think the general rule is that if you pick it up and drop it and it bounces you should try the eggs instead.” Roy’s large white smile pulled back into a grin, “I already tested the eggs. You should have seen what happened with them.”

Braxxx grunted and laughed then stuck out his hand “Good to see you Roy boy, been a while.” Braxxx’s hand was engulfed by the larger mans but the shake was firm and cordial. “Bobby you’re out early. I thought you were in for life.” Roy smiled and swept his Danish to the side. Braxxx removed his hat and pitched it in the spot vacated and rubbed his hand over his head. The hand gave a sort of point in the air and his shoulders shrugged “I suppose I have an angel of mercy watching over me.” Robert’s tone got a little cooler and his hand came back to the table where it idly played with the saltshaker. “That’s why you’re here right Roy? To tell me my mysterious benefactor is checking up on me and is concerned about my health.”

“I thought we could at least have five good minutes before you got nasty Bobby. You should be glad I came. From what was mentioned to me they wanted to elevate this whole thing beyond my little sphere of influence.” The large man adjusted his coat and tie and shifted in his seat. The suit was a dark black that almost matched his complexion and the maroon tie did little to lighten the ensemble. As Robert considered the small edge to the man’s tone he almost believed he was looking into a black hole.

“I know Roy and I appreciate you coming. It’s just that what the hell is with the whole cloak and dagger bit? I mean if I owe a man money why can’t I sit down face to face with him and work out the deal? Why do I have to dash around town meeting with half of the crooks in Rhydin.” Roy’s eyebrow inclined slightly and Robert waved a hand at him “Oh Roy stop it. You are a killer not a crook.” From the counter choking sounds could be heard as someone’s coffee found the wrong pipe after having heard the last bit of Robert’s conversation.
DUEL Tex
RoH Official
RoH Official

Power Breakfast Pt. 3

Post by DUEL Tex »

Roy glanced at the counter and decided that the fat man choking on his coffee was of no real concern no matter how much he had heard. Still he lowered his voice out of respect of the content he and Robert were relaying. No one at a diner wanted to think that murderers and thieves were jellying their toast next to them every morning.

“Robert when someone owes you then you can decide where and how you make a collection. Right now both you and your man are waist deep in it and don’t really get a vote on how things should be happening.” Roy looked over Robert and his voice took on an anguished sort of tone. “Now Robert don’t make this any more difficult. I was told that I should take you out back of this place, smack you around for a bit and then throw you into a dumpster. As you climbed out broken and bleeding I was supposed to put one in your shoulder.” Roy pointed to the very shoulder the bullet was supposed to be surgically placed in. “After that I was supposed to remind you of your obligation to pay your debts and get the damn card room up and running. If you gave me any more grief I would just shoot you right there, take your car and drive to the Jasmine. When I got to the Jasmine I was to shoot anyone there and light the place on fire.” Roy paused for a moment thinking to himself if he remembered the instructions. He nodded at his recollection of the prescribed events and ended the story with “End of instructions.”

Robert mulled over this rather dark and depressing telling of his future and looked to Roy. Roy seemed a touch agitated, almost as if in the telling of the story his body was aching to be done with the deed and move on to greener pastures. Robert’s curiosity proved to be as cat like as ever. “Why take my car?”

Roy pulled the pastry back towards him and took an explorative bite. “Taking the car was my idea. I thought my son would like it.” Robert nodded appreciatively at the generosity of the gift “How is your son?” Roy broke into a big smile forgetting the bits of pastry on his teeth “He just had his prom, would you like to see a picture?” Roy immediately went fishing for his wallet, which gave Robert the opportunity to get a full view of the pistol slung inside the folds of Roy’s coat. Robert’s eyes quickly lifted from the gun and he forced a smile as the picture was produced. “Why look at him, he looks right fine all dressed up like that.” Robert turned the picture so he could see the female. “And look at the girl he’s got on his arm. Roy! You been coaching that boy on how to get dames?” Roy smiled, caught up in fatherly adoration for his young boy on the cusp of manhood.

Robert knew that if he was going to run now would be the time. He could probably make it to the street before Roy started pumping lead out of his peace maker. He could be in his car and at the Jasmine in ten minutes, grab a few things, drag TSC in the car and head out onto the highway. He scanned his watch and saw it was only 10:00. There was Q to consider. He might be able to get to her before she left her house. The timing would be tricky though. She lived a long way from him and she didn’t have a car. She might start out early and he would miss getting her at the house. Roy would wait around seeing if he could catch someone. He would have to kill someone just because. He couldn’t go back to whomever he was working for and tell them he didn’t ice anyone. It would be bad for his reputation.
There was also the fact that Robert couldn’t know who he was running from. In the business there were some people you could hide from and some people you just couldn’t get away from no matter how much effort you put into it. He might make it a year or two but one day he might be coming home with a bottle of booze to enjoy and “whack” some teenager with a popgun would kill him in an alleyway and collect a small fortune.

All these considerations were done in a blink of an eye. The decision was not a hard one to make. He would just have to ride it out a bit longer. He had to know who was holding all this muscle over his head and why. When he knew the how and why he would be able to determine if fight or flight was the better response.
DUEL Tex
RoH Official
RoH Official

Power Breakfast Pt. 4

Post by DUEL Tex »

Roy set the picture back into his wallet and gave Robert a hard look, almost as if he was sizing him up for a new suit. “I’m not going to do any of that to you though Robert. I am going to let you walk out of here untouched.” Roy waved a large dark finger at him before continuing. “You just be sure to go to the underground fights you enjoy so much and have someone give you a nice set of bruises. I don’t want my gift to you to go public. It really is good to see you Bobby, and it was a nice thing you did asking after my boy.”

Robert didn’t have the heart to tell his assassin friend that he would have taken the boy to the prom himself in a pink Taffeta strapless dress with the bows if it meant that he could go on breathing for a few more moments. “He’s a good a man, like his father” Robert nodded slowly tapping the flat of his palm on the table in a bit of a toast to both father and son.

“Get that place open Robert, get it open soon. I have heard some stories.” This time it was Roy who was careful with what words he spoke. He was much larger than Braxxx and he knew Braxxx rarely carried a firearm but that did not make the man any less dangerous. He might plug Braxxx twice but the man wouldn’t have the decency to die. At the very least he would fall forward, gushing blood over one of his favorite suits just in pure spite. “Folks say that you been hiring employees with no experience and that the good help you have, well lets just say they have taken some lumps.”

“Oh Roy” Braxxx rubbed his eyes and leaned back heaving a dramatic sigh. “You can’t understand the plight of running a small business.”

“Watch it Bobby” The friendly tone in Roy’s voice turned over and the sharp steel of the man's words sunk deep into Robert’s chest. “Don’t disrespect me. You always do this; things go on good terms and than you get silly. I don’t give a damn about your problems. Hire who you want, beat them to death, and say it was because your mother didn’t love you enough.” Robert’s eyes flared at the mention of his mother and he began to rise from the seat “Don’t.” The simple command from Roy and the area that he started to reach for reminded Braxxx that he was playing against a stacked deck. He might overcome the large man’s size but he could not overcome a bullet between the eyes. “Just don’t.” Roy’s hand waved him down in a gentle manner. “You got rude. Now I did. We are ‘even Steven’, as you like to say.”

Roy reached back into his coat and flipped a piece of paper to Robert. “Open the place up Robert and send that amount to the location described. There is a guy there who will take the payments from you, the name is listed right there.”

Braxxx’s eyes bulged as he saw the figure written on the scrap of paper. He didn’t need his floor man to tell him that the price listed was highway robbery. “Roy, this is…” Roy shook his head and shrugged his powerful shoulders “I was just supposed to deliver the note to you Robert and shoot you if you were not responsive. I’m not here to negotiate terms.” Robert heard bits and pieces of the large man’s comments but the number was beginning to burn a hole in his brain. He barely noticed Roy getting to his feet and tapping him on the shoulder.

“Come on Bobby, I will walk you to your car.” As Robert got up he pulled some bills from his pocket and went to pay Roy’s bill, as was his custom. Every business meeting Robert had he made a point of paying the bill as a display of his generosity. The big man’s hand rested on his shoulder and he dumped a few bills on the table. “Save your money Bobby. I saw what they were asking from you. You will need every red cent.” Braxxx nodded and put his money away. Retrieving his hat he followed Roy out the door.
DUEL Tex
RoH Official
RoH Official

Power Breakfast Pt. 5

Post by DUEL Tex »

The two men made it out the door and paused briefly, so that Roy could put on his dark sunglasses. Robert noticed that Earnest was gone, probably off to find his wife in space. Robert almost envied the man. A nice long trip to another galaxy would be welcome right about now.

Braxxx made it to his car and got in. He rolled the window down so Roy could poke his head in and say his goodbyes. He noticed the large man kept his hands off the car out of respect for the recent detailing treatment that caused the car to shine like brand new. “Give you a lift Roy?” The big man answered by squeezing himself into the passenger seat and strapping himself in.

“I’m just down the street here.” Roy pointed to a small faded compact car that was constructed for fuel efficiency not for style. Roy muttered, “Kid’s going off to college soon, can’t afford no flashy car.” Braxxx nodded his eyes squinting at the poor excuse for gas-powered transportation. “You have to get good miles to the gallon with that.” With that he powered up his own vehicle and coasted towards the other car.

Roy turned to look at Braxxx, who was looking forward while he drove. "I have no more an idea of who is doing this to you than you have, Bobby. But I imagine it is the worst sort. Lamar got the cable and was told to use one of our nastier heavy hitters. I asked him if he wouldn’t mind letting me handle it. Since all we got was a cryptic cable that gave us instructions, Lamar said he didn’t care. The money was deposited in our groups private account The money included the elimination fee and the cable said that we could keep the money even if filling you full of holes was not necessary. Whoever it is has a lot of money and they knew how to reach us. We aren’t exactly listed in the yellow pages. I would say that this time Robert Braxxx pissed of the wrong dude, because whoever sent us that cable was also the same person who was not happy with letting you die in prison.”

Robert pulled this car up next to Roy’s and left the engine running as he mused aloud. “Why not just kill me in prison? Why go through all this trouble. I was halfway to killing myself even before I went to prison. It doesn’t make a lick of sense.”

Roy’s hand slapped against Robert’s shoulder and he squeezed it in a comforting fashion “I couldn’t tell you Bobby, but in my line of work I have heard of stranger things. When hate, anger, or jealousy rears its head there is no telling what lengths people will go to. You know that.”

Roy squeezed Robert's shoulder once more, pushed the car door open, and stepped out onto the street. His head peeked in one last time with a smile.” Great to see you again Bobby. I hope everything works out for you.”

Robert managed a weak smile not feeling all that pleased with the direction things were taking. Still, the big man had spared his life. He could at least give him a cordial farewell. “Good to see you Roy, hey come around the place when we open. We can catch up a little bit better.”

Roy nodded but he looked to the ground as he did so. “Look Bobby, no offense but until you get your financial stuff together I imagine if you see me again we will be engaging in my sort of business not yours.”

With that the big man went to his car and started it up. Robert pulled down the street so he could allow the car to pass. He waited a few minutes before he gave his car more gas and made for the Jasmine.

Return to “Tales from the Wild Jasmine”