Realm of the Momus Estate

Moderator: Tasslehofl Momus

Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Location: Matlal, Riverbend, I' Taurn or Nitesong, depending on time of year

Elves , Dragons , Magic

Post by Alais d Nitesong »

The Staff as I’ Taurn had told me that a large silver dragon had come through the gatehouse, and then disappeared after Rab. I wanted to chuckle, but did not think the elven staff would appreciate my sense of humor. Apparently Garl had felt a need to seek out the carpenter I had retained to help build my home, and I can only imagine Rab’s reaction to being chased through the streets by a very large, if not friendly dragon. Rab had fairly blanched when he was told he would be working closely with an entire island of dragon kind.

The gate house was restored and I found a few minutes to go to Twilight Isle for an evening before returning to Matlal. I am most curious to know if Garl got what he wanted from Rab, and how soon we will need the man’s skills in the project.

When I arrived, I found Tass floating on a chaise, and initially appeared to be snoozing, but he heard my nearly silent approach and cracked open one eye. I chuckled as his floating recliner went rocking from his reaction. He gave me a jaunty wave and inquired whether or not I had come to participate in the tournament, which I had not, he seemed disheartened by that, and when I asked him why I should, he surprised me, “cause it’d be fun to watch you dance.” Which, he followed with a wink that spelled mischief. When I told him I was not much of a dancer, he lifted a brow, “I beg to differ. I’ve seen you dance, and have danced with you.”

Thankfully Topaz arrived about then as I told him that he was entirely too charming. He and Topaz began to speak about Isle business and I found an empty seat and prepared to get comfortable to watch. I had hoped to speak with Tass about Island affairs, but it appeared he would be busy tonight, and I had naught else to do but enjoy the balmy Island weather and watch the tournament.

Shortly after Topaz’s arrival, I was happily surprised to see Illusia and Solace arrive. I had not seen Max’s daughters in a very long time, and it seemed that Illusia was chaperoning Solace tonight. Where her twin sister was however was anyone’s guess. Solace was growing into a lovely woman, and I knew Max would be gnawing the walls for the suitors he was having to turn away.

Solace seemed uncomfortable with the growing number of people arriving on the island, and she found a place where she could get comfortable and have her own seclusion amidst the crowd. I conjured a glass of Liquid Fire and surreptitiously watched the young woman. Illusia seemed satisfied that Solace was settled before she turned her attention on Tass who was trying to convince her to join in the tournament.

Soerl, the minstrel arrived and was soon followed by Rena, and the crowd continued to grow. I glanced at Tass, who had been busy seeking kisses from every female who arrived, “Ye shouldst be verra 'appa nae Tass.” He turned and looked at me, wondering what it was he should be so happy about. “Ye've a plethora o' lasses tae steal yer kisses froom.”

He grinned and stole another kiss from me before floating off to obtain more feminine attentions. I had tried to wave him off, I could not imagine what The Elder would say about such a thing, but then, The Elder had yet to touch me at all outside of when I had reached for him in Primordial Darkness. I gave Tass a wry smile and asked him what his elder brother would say. He grinned, “good job?” I shook my head. I very much doubted it. The Elder was not given to bouts of emotion that would allow him to see such playfulness as good or bad.

Dimitri arrived and was greeted by several. It was good to see him again, and thriving. He has been through some very hard times, but tonight he appeared happy enough, if a little aloof. He found himself a spot near the trees after speaking with Illusia.
Lady Alais d' Arma Graham d' Nitesong Sidhe
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I glanced again at Solace, who was wandering about and who’s path soon brought her toward my table. I smiled, and bade her a good evening. She paused, and seemed to war with herself a moment as I could just imagine something Max would have done in his earlier years, trying to keep polite conversation rather than saying the first thing that came to him, but finally she asked if I was participating or not. I smiled and shook my head, “Nay, Ah'm usin' tae much o' mine sorceries 'pon th' isle. Yer nae gaein' tae giff 't a try lass?”

She shook her head, telling me she had no reason to participate, and her ear twitched. She was still uncomfortable around so many people. I asked her if she would like anything to drink, perhaps she would get more comfortable if she sat down and held a glass. She shook her head slowly, and seemed to be whispering to herself, lost among her own thoughts, and I watched her for long moments, not interrupting her. At length, she gave me a startled blink, as though surprised she had been ‘caught’ in that state before explaning, “my wolf friend is a bit skittish at the moment. He says he had a close call with a crazy blonde woman in a car.”

I chuckled softly, “anna particular crazy blonde?” There were a lot of blondes in RhyDin, and many of those did have cars.

She gave me a cheeky grin, “I doubt he’d have had a chance to take down any numbers… no thumbs after all.”

I tried hard not to burst out laughing, “wolves ‘re verra smart creatures lass, ye neffer ken.”

She glanced about the beach area then said she was surprised that the place was still here, that she had expected it to implode eventually.

I took a sip of the amber liquid with a smile, “magic doth haff a way o’ surprisin’ ye.”

She sat down facing away from the rings as a flash of magic lit the perpetual twilight. “too bright.”

As she sat down, I asked after her father. I have missed the old grouch. She gazed at the sand, but she gave a devilish smirk, “He’s happy where he’s at.”

I nodded thoughtfully. It was very hard to guess where Max might be, “aye, well, dae ye see ‘im, wilst ye giff ‘im mine greetin’s?”

She surprised me then, “He heard you.” She played idly with the strap on her bag, but there was a keen look in her eyes at that point.

I would not press her and simply told her that was fair enough. I knew so little about Max’s abilities, there was no way for me to guess precisely what she meant by her comment. She was still very fidgety and uncomfortable, so I asked her what had brought her to the Isle. She told me that Illusia felt that while she could find trouble in an empty room, the outing would be good for her, and she had promised Illusia that she would come for awhile.

I chuckled soflty, it seemed she had taken after her father in many ways! As I sat with Solace, Drakhan waddled through the portal, but was not followed by the Gnome. Drakhan was loose and headed for a table, which he promptly disappeared beneath as I watched him. I picked up a wrapped candy cane and unwrapped it, holding it down where Drakhan could see it, offering the wee one a sweet bite. He waddled out from beneath his table and happily gobbled up the treat. I chuckled and asked the dragon where his keeper was, although I did not really expect the wee one to give me an answer. He had arrived through the portal, and did not seem to have a medallion like Gnimish’s.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Solace leaned closer to me then, “he says he’ll see you in your dreams.”

I lifted my eyes to hers, “indeed?”

She nodded, “Said something about you, wrinkles and old too.”

I gave her a soft chuckle, “Yer sire mus’ haff lost 'is sight 'f 'e's sayin' such thin's. Ah'll save 'im a special dream thence lass.
But she was definitely in contact with her sire if she knew Max’s favorite teasing phrase for me.

She paused a moment, as though listening to her own thoughts, “that’s a dangerous promise.”

I took a sip of the amber liquid before asking her for whom such a thing would be dangerous. She leaned close again “the dream worlds are his domain.” Her voice was only a thread of sound that no one beyond us would hear.

My eyes held hers for a long moment, “Aye lass, Ah dae ken tha', well dae Ah ken. Bu' dreams haff a way o' bein' nae wha' ye'd expect.”

She leaned back then, there were mixed emotions flickering in her features, “Like I said, he’s happy where he is.”

So, it would seem that Max has retreated into the realm of dreams. The place where he controls the power. I gave Solace a bit of a smile, “’t doth nae change th’ fact tha’ Ah dae miss ‘im. An’ yer daein’ a goo’ job o’ stayin’ oot o’ mischief taenigh’ lass.”

She leaned forward to whisper once more, “When you wake up from a night mare, you should thank him.”

Her words brought back images of the war we had just fought. The horror and blood were instantly very real again as I looked at Solace solemnly, “Ad had wish ‘e’d been there tae wake me.” I would not expound, but from that nightmare, I would have given much to have Max wake me.

Solace was uncertain what I meant, and I meant to keep it that way.

I gave myself a mental shake and glanced at Tass before focusing once more on Solace, “prithee, dae forgiff ‘n auld elf.”

Solace glanced at me, “I don’t know what to think of him sometimes.”

I misunderstood whom she was referring to, and assumed it was Tass, although he was certainly no elf, but she shook her head and stood up. “Perhaps we’ll talk again soon. But, don’t hold me to that.” And so I bade her fair travels as she departed the Isle. She was too much like her father in many ways. Perhaps that is why I felt a pang of longing for the old trouble maker. Thus I finished my Liquid fire and rose, intending to ask Tass for his time before departing the Island. There were things about the project on Matlal that I wished to discuss with him, and I suppose a part of me hoped he would tell me of the Elder, whom I have not seen in many weeks now.

As I rose, Artemus hugged himself after leaving his ring, “I can just feel the love on the Isle, and it warms me right down to the heart I can’t find.”

I could not help myself in that moment. Sylus’ brother was a cynical, mean soul, and I muttered softly enough that only Artemus should hear it, “finalla’ d’scovered tha’ ye haff ye?””

His eyes drifted my direction, “stick around and perhaps I’ll chip some ice off of it for your drink.” His grin was playful, but I know the devil, and there is nothing I would have from him. Nothing.

I continued on toward Tass, “Ah dinnae wish anna thin’ froom ye.”

As I leaned closer to Tass, I asked him for his time when he had it to give, and unwrapped a second candy cane for Drakhan. Tass offered to speak now, but as I looked about the island, I did not wish to discuss it with Artemus present. Tass nodded and I gave Drakhan a final scritch for the evening before kissing Tass’ cheek and leaving for I’ Taurn.

My dreams were untouched that night by Max. But they were not untouched by a pale figure with black gems.

Return to “Emerald Isle”