Matlal and the Eldarie

Realm of the Momus Estate

Moderator: Tasslehofl Momus

Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Location: Matlal, Riverbend, I' Taurn or Nitesong, depending on time of year

Post by Alais d Nitesong »

Tass had left, and the house was nearly silent. He had tried to reassure me, but even he admitted he did not always understand the Elder. I do not know if anyone does or can. The weight of ages seemed to press in from all sides, and the shadow upon the wall was a reminder that my past was going to influence my future. I extinquished the candles and headed upstairs.

As I opened the doors, I was surprised to find the remains of a fire that had dwindled down to glowing embers, but what surprised me even more was what was laid among the ashes. The little things that I had shared with Sylus had been tossed into the fire. As though that action would undo the time we had shared. It would not, but it hurt that he did not care enough to take them with him. As though he sought to erase as much of his memories of me as he could.

I glanced around the suite, and every item that had been his was now gone. With a sigh, I headed for the bedroom, and sank into the black hot tub, and laid in the bubbling water once again staring at the starlit sky above me, and memories of that meteor shower and hearing Uly's voice came back as though it had happened only yesterday.

But now, there was no Ulysses, nor was there Sylus. I had chosen a path that neither one could follow. The Elder has told me he cannot come to Matlal, and it is to Matlal that I must go.
Lady Alais d' Arma Graham d' Nitesong Sidhe
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I had left Tass upon Twilight Isle. His promise to find me upon the islands was welcome, as it would be a very busy day. I planned to leave in the darkness tonight, closing I' Taurn for the time being. When I arrived, there was a sense of sadness about the house, as though it knew I was departing yet again. I reached out to touch the white stone, feeling the sadness in the matrix. Perhaps I should give it to Telemachus, and hope that he will bring light and life back to the house. Perhaps.

Upstairs, I discovered that there were three things Sylus had left that I had missed eariler, and I sat down to read the note he had left beneath my pillows. As I read his words, his voice filled my thoughts. There was bitterness in him that would not be soothed in the near future, and he had seen me laughing in public, but had never looked into my eyes, or he would have known that true merriment eluded me and would for some time.

And so, he would travel. As would I.

I glanced then at the ring and the green orb. The ring belonged to his family. It was not something I had any claim to, and I would have it delivered to Artemus. No matter how much I dislike the younger brother, it is the only way to return the signet ring to the rightful heirs.

The green orb was one that would allow Sylus to come to me, but I know that Matlal would be well enough protected that such magics would not work. I laid the green orb gently into a velvet pouch atop my dresser. It would be there.

Then I looked up at the night sky, and the moon that shown silvery over RhyDin. Cloaked above this realm was Jacynth. Whether Ulysses was still there, or whether he had moved on to another place and time I would likely never know. This overlay that had come back from the suns of Harmony did not need me. And, it would seem, did not want me.

I gave a wry smile at the moon above. Matters of the heart are fickle things.

Rising, I wrapped the signet ring into cloth of silver, and tied it with a midnight blue grosgrain ribbon before attaching a message for the druid.

"Artemus,
.............This ring belongs to your brother Sylus, but he is gone, and I cannot find him. I will be leaving this night for Matlal, with no plans to return to RhyDin. It belongs to the Kurgen legacy, not to the Nitesong legacy. Please do not give the messenger a difficult time, accept it and keep it where it belongs.
..............Respectfully,

.......................Alais 'd Arma Graham 'd Nitesong"

I left the package for the staff with instructions for its delivery, and taking up my staff, I stepped upon the sigil and left RhyDin for my new home.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The sea was quiet, just the gentle lapping of waves against the black sand when I arrived. None of the dragons were about at this time, but it would not belong before they knew of my arrival.

I set down the orchids I had created and began to walk slowly along the water's edge. The moon glistened atop the gentle waves, shimmering and dancing beneath the black velvet sky and the glittering white stars overhead. The mountain loomed behind me as I looked into the night across the sea.

Odhran could just be made out as a silhouette in the distance. For a brief moment, I wondered just where Khirsah went when he left, and found myself tracing the scar with my right hand. Such musings would not put Matlal back together.

Turning back toward where I had left the orchids, I began the climb to the leveled perch above where my home once had begun to rise, and where even now the foundation stone remained, undamaged by the invasion. At least that magic was unpolluted by Malchor and his minions. I set the orchids down in the shadow of the foundation stone, and then sat upon the pale salmon stone.

The energies of the island flowed with the bonds of Eldar magic beneath me. The power was there to restore the islands, shaping it and coaxing it to heal the island would take great focus and strength though. There was however, no time like the present, and I let myself become one with the power that moved all around me.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

When the sun began its inexorable climb into the sky for the day, the area around the stone was alive with green and growing things. The night blooming jasmine had twined around the stone and grass had sent out runners in all directions. The down hill slope that ran between the perch for my home and the black sand beach below was alive with green just bursting from the ground, as a sudden warm spring changes a snowy landscape into one just faintly tinged in shades of new green.

I had focused on the land between the beach and the bluff for a reason. This would provide encouragement for the dragons while they worked, and a place for them to rest or frollic as the mood struck them. It was only a start. It would take a very long time to accomplish this on the whole of the island, and I was already exhausted from trying to shape the power that ran through the land.

The sun was warm on my skin, and I remained unmoving atop the foundation stone, letting the heat sink into my bones as the sky gave way from black to grey to brilliant cobalt blue. There was not a cloud in the sky as the dragons began to stir. The dragonet curled up beside me atop the foundation stone, and dozed in the warming rays of the day.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Alais sat upon the foundation stone in the warm sunlight watching as the dragons began the work all over again of setting the structural stone work for the building. The hordes had destroyed or contaminated everything right down to the very foundation of the building. They had not however been able to touch the book chamber deep within the mountain.

As the dragons worked, I began to plan for the items we would need brought in from RhyDin, and it struck me that every bit of the lumber and trim wood would need to be shipped in. There was not one tree left alive on Matlal. Where I had planned on using mahogany for the doors and trim, letting the carvers work in the raw wood from the island itself, there was now no chance for that kind of work.

How would I arrange to have the wood selected, properly dried, shipped, and cut to the sizes needed? This would all be custom work that would take someone with a long history of working in wood. It was not something I knew anything about, and when Garl was questioned, he gave me a look that asked without words if I was making a jest. Sometimes dragons have no sense of humor.

Who did I know that could handle things on the RhyDin side of things? Everything in RhyDin was made of stone, but I had stone masons enough. What I needed was a carpenter with a solid knowledge of the process from start to finish. And then it struck me, Rab.

Rab had recently come to RhyDin, but he was a hard working soul with the background to support this project. The question now was would he be interested in the project? And where could I find him?
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The healing of Matlal progressed. Each day saw more green begin to sprout and grow. The dragons were taking to the construction with enthusiasm, as if having something constructive to do was appreciated, and helped diminish the pain the war had inflicted. It was a time of renewal for everyone except me.

I have thrown myself into the rebuilding completely and without reservation. The magic of the Eldar combined with the magic of the island was bringing about great changes in astonishingly short amounts of time, but there is a price to be paid for such growth, and with each passing day I felt the drain upon myself. Each day my ability to shape the energy to my bidding weakened.

Garl had initially watched my work and provided support, but of recent days, he too has grown withdrawn, acting unlike the Garl I have known these last months. And today he did not come at all.

I know that I need a rest, but I cannot take that rest here, not while the dragons continue to work.

Khirsah has been absent since my return to Matlal. He had come twice while I was travelling back and forth, but not at all since my residence has been re-established upon the island. I would not be missed, and so with the next phase of building begun, I made a decision that would give me the rest I need.

Twilight Isle was busy with a tournament, and Lord Momus was engaged in the rings. I sat and watched for some time, but decided perhaps departure now would be better than waiting to speak to him directly. He would not follow. He did not belong in the world of the dead and damned. The last time had resulted in the tear, and the war, and while Tass may be the emotional one of the brothers, he was not going to make the same mistake.

I left a parchment with the Arch Mage, Topaz for Tass, telling him where I had gone. And then, fading from the Isle, I travelled the road of the dead home to Riverbend.

Riverbend whispered with the voices of those returned against their will. It was subdued, and my presence there sent them fleeing from my path. Twice I had sent them here, and there was no doubt of my right to be in Riverbend. Nor was there doubt of their fealty to me.

My footsteps carried me to the mausoleum entry. I paused long moments before descending the stone stairs.

Rest. I needed to rest.

Morrin's sarcophagus glowed softly from light hitting the highly polished alabaster effigy. His features almost life like in their rendering. My fingertips reached out to stroke the cheek lightly. How I missed him.

I shimmered a moment in the mausoleum light before sliding into the stone matrix to rest.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

The ground around the sanctuary in the Northern wilds of Matlal shifted. The power that had been called into action around the island trembled as it encircled the structure, remaining just beyond the blood ward, no green trespassed across that boundary. Vines grew upward into the blackened remains of the trees, once more casting the area into a nearly impenetrable mass of vegetation.

Inside, where none could go save the one who's blood protected this sanctuary, a shadow began to form. Faint now, but the image was there, where it had lain before.

A lone silver sat outside the ward.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Construction Plans Resume

After deciding that Rab was the right person to handle the procurement and shipping of the needed wood for the construction project, I needed to find him and obtain his services. I went to the Arena, hoping he would come for a duel or two and give me an opportunity to seek out his assistance.

Anjolie was rummaging behind the bar, talking with Tass and where I had headed for my sofa, I altered my course to speak with Tass, “dae ye haff a moment?”

He grinned, “I have lots of them, or at least I hope I do.”

I chuckled softly, “Ah dae 'ope sae 's well. Ah'm makin’ arrangements wi' Rab tae 'elp wi' th' rebuildin' 'pon Matlal.”

He lifted a brow, “Oh? How so and what with?”

I nodded, “Aye, wi' th' destruction o' th' trees, Ah'll haff need o' importin' th' righ' lumber, 'n Rab ist th' one Ah dae trust tae 'andle tha'.” My questions around town had all turned up the same name, Rab’s.

Tass nodded thoughtfully “sounds good to me, what will I be owing him?”

I canted my head slightly, “Ah’ll be payin’ Rab fer ‘is services ‘n th’ wood.” I was not going to let Tass bear the cost of my project.

He persisted, “then what will I be owing you?”

I ignored his question. Since I would be bringing a stranger into the isles, Tass’ influence would be most helpful. Especially after the war, with memories of strangers in their lands so fresh in their minds, the dragons would be leary.

Tass nodded thoughtfully, “I'll let them know, but it is your place, and your are the appointed head, you could do it yanno.”

Tass was correct, but with Garl acting oddly, and Tass being the ultimate authority, I wanted his sanction to my activities, “aye, an’ Ah shall, bu’ Garl hath been….. odd o’ late.” I couldn’t truly put a finger on it, but Garl was doing and saying some things that just felt ‘off’ to me. “an’ ye haff a way wi’ th’ oothers, sae Ah’d appreciate yer ‘elp.”

Tass nodded, but a small frown formed in his features. “a way, do I? Well, I’ll see what I can do.”

I chuckled softly, “aye.” I watched him a moment then asked if he had seen the progress on Matlal. I had not seen him in the island, but perhaps he had come when I was not about.

“I have glimpsed it.” He replied enigmatically.

I would not press him, “Ah’ve nae been tae Odhran, prithee, ‘ow doth ‘t fare?”

He gave me a tired grin, “more slowly than yours I’m afraid.”

His answer surprised me, with his great resources and the magic of the islands tied to him as they were, I gave him a puzzled look, “ist there aught Ah mayst dae tae ‘elp?” I would cease work on Matlal if it would help him to get Odhran back to its former beauty and health.

He continued, “but I have not been shaping as you have.. I have let.. things progress as they will, for the moment.”

There was something in his tone, the weariness that he had earlier hidden so well that came through. He had lost his wife, as it seemed, and his daughter had gone as well. He was alone in his manor.

Hoping for a lighter topic, I asked how Kadir was progressing, and his answer made me regret my query, “even less.” It seemed Sai Jon was occupied elsewhere, and so only Matlal was being actively encouraged to heal. I puzzled that a moment, and he gave me a small smile and a shrug. There was no help for it then, and I asked him “wi’ yer abilities tae shape th’ magic, prithee, why’re ye nae?”

His smile was somewhat sad, “I’m not yet… ready.” There were loads of implied things in that statement.

“Bu’ wouldst nae th’ oothers be ‘appier tae see renewal?” I asked of him.

Tass simply said it would come, and left it at that.
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

“Ye’ve a different view o’ time thence Ah haff,” The greater longevity of his kind meant time moves differently for them, and I know human kind thinks the elves act slowly, so perhaps this is my bias regarding the passage of time. I headed for my sofa then, leaving him to seek a duel if he chose, but glanced over my shoulder at him, “’an ‘umans dae thin’ elves ‘re slow tae act.”

He chuckled, “that I do. And they are.”

I lifted a brow at him. “we ’re nae.”

He snorted at that, “Ya are.”

I sat down and conjured myself a crystal snifter of Liquid Fire, “Nay m’lord, we dae think thin’s through b’fore actin’ precipitously.”

He laughed then, “some days.”

I took a sip of the amber liquid, “all days m’lord.”

About then Imp appeared with a poof and plopped himself down upon the caller’s sofa and announced loudly, “Tha P’Imp has entered tha building!”

I shuddered slightly, knowing the inevitable was about to come my way, “g’e’en Imp.” But perhaps I could forestall it as I remembered the young woman Taneth had been seeking Imp. “Imp lad?”

It was not to be, “ALAIS!” He flailed his arms and poofed over to me with his trademark ‘huglickgrope’. “BABE!”

I cowered as he flailed, “There’s a lass seekin’ ye.” I grabbed him and held him at arm’s length to prevent being too slobbered on in the process of his enthusiastic greeting.

He cackled madly, “You love me, admit it.”

I admitted it as it was easier to humor the little blue one as he asked me, “sooooooo, who’s the babe looking for moi?” His hands were rubbed together with a greedy air.

I nodded, “a young lass, bu’ ye were nae ‘n yer store, she didst ask me whence ye’d r’turn, an’ Ah didst tell ‘er Ah thought ye’d be ‘pon ‘n errand fer Mama Imp, bu’ ye’d be back.”

He wasn’t listening at all to my words, but was mainly interested in whether she was pretty or not. Which, I confirmed that she was, and he bounded happily back to his sofa to begin the night’s duels, and his lust for blood letting.

Tass accepted a duel with Jake and about then Rab walked, or rather trudged in. He was just the soul I had come to find. “Yer jus’ th’ man Ah haff need o’ speakin’ tae.” My eyes locking on him as he began to tromp toward a chair, hoping to gain his time for the discussion I had planned.

He peered about seeking the identity of the voice addressing him, “hullo, have we met? Me recollectioning is sometimes poor.”

I smiled at him, “aye, we haff, bu’ ye mayst nae r’member me.”

He stood and extended a work roughened hand toward me, “sorry then.”

I glanced at his hand before offering my own, it was a custom I was not familiar with, “nae a problem, wilst ye haff a seat?”
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

About then, Imp spotted Rab, “RAB!!!!!!!!!!!”

Rab shook his head and excused himself a moment, “IMP!”

“RAB!!!!!” Imp screamed back at him, and the war of shouting commenced.

“IMP!”

“RAB!!!”

“MORE IMP!”

“RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Rab blinked at Imp, “easy there.”

“Yo!” Imp changed tactics.

“Hullo,” Rab worked to calm the blue one’s enthusiasm.

“sup?” Imp asked as I simply quirked a brow at the two of them and their ritualized greeting procedure.

Rab turned back toward me, “that’s done then, will yeh sit with me?”

I nodded toward an empty chair near my sofa, and he dragged his mallet toward the indicated chair, and the thing which shrieked when he sat down. “So, how’s meself to be helpin’ yeh?”

I gave the mallet a glance before lifting my gaze to his, “Ye’ve coome tae mine attention Rab as th’ man whom doth ken wood an’ ‘t’s properties better thence anna one else ‘n RhyDin.”

He blinked at me, “well, that’s finely put, might be misplaced a bit, I jest do what I do,” but a grin split his features a moment, “thankee though.”

I smiled then, “Ye’ve earned a reputation Rab, an’ Ah’ve a need fer soomeone wi’ yer skills.”

He nodded, “well, that’s good to hear, good to hear, what’s yer need then?” More wood than stone I take it.” He grinned widely, “I’m not so much for stone.”

That brought a soft chuckle, his views on stone were well known, “th’ exterior ist stone, bu’ th’ interior wilst haff a great deal o’ wood, ‘n th’ war didst d’story th’ wood Ah’d planned tae use.”

Abruptly Rab sat up a bit straighter, as though he’d just realized I was elven, “interior. That’d be beams, paneling, whatnot, eh? Fine wood.” He nodded as he considered the potential implications.

“Aye, doors, panelin’, ceilin’ beams, an’ much o’ ‘t tae be carven.” He seemed a bit stressed as we sat there.

Rab nodded some more, “Wood’ll give the structure a heart. Keep all that chill stone on the outside for the unwelcome. What color wood? Dark? Light? Depends on the light I spose….” He was already mulling over ideas, and confirmed what I had hear about him.

I glanced at the ring, “Aye, bu’ Ah’ll need soomeone tae ‘andle th’ procurin’ an’ th’ shippin’ fer me. Ah’d wanted mahogany, bu’ th’ trees ‘pon Matlal ‘re all dead.” Tass concluded his duel and nodded to Imp before moving toward Rab and I.

Rab’s brows went up, “Matlal? Where’s that then? No trees? Shame.”

I smiled as Tass arrived, “wilst ye join us m’lord? Matlal ist an island ‘n th’ Emerald Isle’s Rab. Th’ transportin’ wilst be difficult.” I did not tell him that without Lord Momus’ consent, he would not be able to reach the Emerald Islands, as I assumed it would only make him more uncomfortable.

Rab’s brows scrunched together as he pondered, “Mahogany, shippin’.”
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Tass took a seat between us, listening to our discussion, “Ahye, bu’ Ah’m nae ascerted ye mayst find enou’ mahogany ‘ere.”

“yeh. I know where I can get good, old growth mahogany. broad 'nough for beams and such...” He was already considering where he might obtain the mahogany I sought when I interrupted him and introduced him to Tass.

“M’lord Momus, haff ye met Rab?”

Tass replied that he may have, and if not, had certainly seen him about the Arena for the dueling.

I nodded, “Rab ‘ere ist th’ one Ah didst tell ye aboot earlier this nigh’.”

Rab nodded, “Hullo then. I’ve seen yeh likewise.” He leaned forward and extended a hand to Tass, which Tass took in turn.

Rab sat back then, “but the only mills I know are well out by me own stompin grounds... have to wagon the sawn lumber into RhyDin I spose... “

Tass spoke up then, “that can be provided.”

I took a sip of the amber liquid, “Ah’m willin’ tae pay fer th’ trouble tae haff ‘t done righ’ Rab.”

He was still nodding thoughtfully, “but I know nought of shippin if it's not floatin logs down a river ... how bout that? I spose yer Isle is out to sea...”

I glanced at Tass, “Ah thin’ we mayst ge’ ye th’ ‘elp tae move th’ logs.”

Tass thought back to our earlier conversation, “how do you feel about dragons?”

Rab was deeply thinking about transportation, “aright, have yeh a plan? Drawin’s? or a …” he stopped in mid thought, “dragons?”

Tass gave him an amused grin, “aye, dragons.”

I lifted my glass to hide a smile at his reply to Rab.

Rab sat back into his chair, clearly taken back, “er, I dunno. I feel there’s room in the world for all of us…. I spose… they’re so…….. big.” He scratched his head then, clearly uncertain how to answer Lord Momus.

Tass chuckled softly, “that is an understatement, but would they work for your moving?”

Rab’s mouth gaped open, “dragons to move the timber? Egad… I spose that’s…. an option I’d not considered.”

“How do you feel about working along side of them? Tass pressed on.

Rab went a bit green, “how close-like long side do yeh mean? I mean ... I'm not a small man, but ... I'm like to become a turd, I spose... stepped on, that is... unless I can shout directions... I mean suggestions ... from a bit afar.” He was stammering a bit now as Tass regarded him.

Tass laughed and gave me a teasing look, “should he know how close?”

I smiled and gave a bit of soft elven laughter, “Rab, th' dragon's wouldst be 'ere tae 'elp ye, bu' ye'd need tae be makin' th' decisions.”
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Tass smiled back at Rab, “as for how close.. let us just say.. as close as you and I.”

Rab looked a bit stunned by that proposition, “ah, dragons, right there…. Whew… would they….. er….. behave?”

Tass’ answer was very soft, “right here… and they would.”

Rab considered a moment, “well, I'd as like to give anything a try, but I spose I only get allowed one slip-up with them.” He put one hand over his eyes, “eh, hoooo boy.”

I chuckled, “Rab, ye dae ken tha’ Lord Momus ist a dragon?” And it was Tass’ turn to try to hide a smile.

He peered from behind his hand at Tass, “er, so yer sayin’ a gatherin’ of dragons, who look like yerself, as men, are goin to move the timber? That’d be more comfortable for me, yeh.”

I glanced at Tass along with Rab, who seemed to be watching Tass with a bit more anxiety than before.

Tass shrugged, “I suppose I could inform them to be as such while around you.. but they would not stay such when they are moving the raw material across the seas to the Isles.”

Rab sighed deeply and straightened up further in his seat, “well, let's on with it I spose. If'n they're behavin-type dragons and I can ... talk to them, I'll try an keep me breakfast down.”

Tass smiled, “you seem to have little enough trouble with me.”

Rab leaned in closely toward Tass, but kept a tentative air, “but I’ve never been close as this before.”

Tass chuckled, “Oh, you have, just haven’t noticed it yet.”

I took a sip of the amber liquid, “They dae speak Common Rab, ‘n they’re verra civilized.” In fact, more civilized than many of the citizens of RhyDin.

Rab regarded Tass a moment before sitting back, but there was a distinctly pleased with himself expression on his face, “eh, so how much timber yeh think a dragon can heft?”

Tass informed Rab that the host that would be dispatched for this project would be more than sufficient to take care of the raw materials needs.

As we all settled again comfortably into our chairs, I glanced at Rab, “wouldst ye li’ tae see th’ plans?”

He grinned broadly then, “plans, ah brilliant!”

The melodious Annaran lilted across the table as the parchments formed before me. There were 6 sheets of plans that would impact Rab, and I slid them across the table toward him.

Rab grinned at Tass, “yeh know, this could be a bit ... excitin for meself. Dragons! who'd a thought. so yeh, plans! If'n its not jest in yer head, I've much to thank yeh for. yeh'd not believe the schemes folks dream up and expect me to…” His words trailed off as the parchment slid beneath his hands and he took them carefully. “What’re the measurements in?”

“Yer th’ man tae make th’ decision fer th’ righ’ wood, th’ righ’ grain, an th’ righ’ proportions Rab. Th’ measurements ‘n th’ drawin’ ‘re in auld English units.” I sat back and waited for his first look at the size of the project.

He nodded absently as she shuffled through the pages, “tis a beautiful thing yer building… powerful large for a house though, are yeh a baroness?” Then quickly adding, “not that its me business.”
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

I smiled at him, :Nay Rab, Ah’m jus’ ‘n elf, bu’ this ist fer th’ dragons an’ a place tae form a small government an’ public offices fer ‘em, an’ mine new ‘ome.”

Rab blinked, and Tass chuckled, “of sorts, she is Rab, don’t let her fool you.”

I slid a quick glance at Tass. There was no reason to tell Rab more than we already had. My position was not important to the project.

“A ‘government of dragons’? Great Scotty!” Rab seemed intrigued by such a concept and Tass raised a brow at his reaction.

“Th’ Isles ‘re fer th’ dragons Rab, ‘t ist their sanctuara.” This place was where the dragons could retreat from the rest of the world. It was sanctuary and haven for their kind.

Rab watched Tass a moment, realizing his comment may have been taken wrong, “all I meant was that a place to house a government of dragons would be ... big. yeh.”

Tass chuckled then, “I know.”

I sipped the amber liquid, “th’ plan ist tae build on as ‘t ist needed, this ist small tae start wi’.”

Rab shot me a surprised look, “whoowee, so that explains these,” as he pointed to the drawings, “sixteen foot doors?”

I laughed softly, “aye.”

He shook his head and sat back from the plans to look closely at both Tass and I, and there was a grin on his face, “Yer givin me the chance to do something, jest, hugelier and grander than I’ve ever done.”

Tass sat back and relaxed, a grin growing under Rab’s gaze and words. “What ever you need can be provided, including the help.”

I smiled then, “’f ye’ll look o’er th’ plans, an’ le’ me ken ‘ow much ye dae r’quire ‘n fundin’ tae start.”

Rab glanced at Tass quickly, “and I’ve got to thank yeh for that, even with the dragons bit…. Sorry.”

Tass laughed, “no worries at all.”

“If'n they're nice to meself, I guess I'll be a bit sweaty is all, and a bit high-pitched. no harm. can I take yer drawins? ...to give a good estimate for wood. I don't like to take more from the land than needed.” He glanced at me hopefully.

I chuckled softly, “they’re fione souls tae work wi’ Rab. An’ aye, ye mayst haff th’ parchments.”

Tass added quietly, “what is taken will be returned.” Then he looked at me meaningfully.

“what’s yer schedule for this?” Rab hadn’t asked before, and I thought about it a moment. “An I can’t start till the lumbers cut and taken there anyhow.”

“Th exterior ist currentla under construction.” His reminder that the timber would have to be harvested brought a nod of understanding from me, “Aye, sae Ah need ye tae tell me wha’ th’ time line ist.”
Alais d Nitesong
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

“d'yeh have a mill on yer island? Or will I be milling it here?”

I felt a shadow cross my features, “th' Isle was d'stroyed Rab... ye'll need tae pr'pare efferathin' 'ere first.” There had been a time when such would not have been needed, but now, everything needed to be brought in from somewhere else.

He frowned a bit, “a’right, no matter.”

“Ah haff an ''ouse 'ere 'n RhyDin, dae ye r'quire a place tae store th' wood?” The grounds of I’Taurn should work for storage if he needed it.

“yeh. but a lot would be better. there's goin to be acres of planks. a house won't hold it. I'll look about.”

Tass offered to provide the space for storing the wood in preparation for the journey to Matlal. “I have a few.. places to store the lumber.”

“Well, less'n yeh need me mark on a parchment, I'll shake and agree to do me utmost for yerselves. I got only me word and me name to gain or lose, but it's the strongest bond I can give yeh.” Rab glanced around the room a moment, and it was clear we had taken enough of his time.

I nodded at Rab, “Yer word ist all Ah haff need o’ Rab.”

He rolled up the drawings with a grin, “thankee, well, hows bout I get yer estimates to yeh in a week. time to wrap up the other ... er ... projects and such.”

Tass and I both agreed that would be fine.

Rab stood and offered his work worn hand once again, “yeh won't regret yer comin to ol Rab. thankee for the chance at this –– it'll be grand.”

I took his offered hand, “Ah am verra certain o' tha' Rab. Thank ye fer takin' th' job.”

He grinned happily, “tis like me birthday present.”

Tass laughed, “wait till it's over then and you see your prized work complete in the place.”

As I bade Rab a good evening, I told him it sounded like a great deal of work more than a birthday present.

He smiled, “aye. months. a year. but dragon-moved-timber,” he shook his head in wonder, “that's gonna save weeks of wagon-work.” Then he paused, as though realizing he hadn’t asked how to reach me, “How'll I get word to yeh on the estimate and such? and ... if'n I need a dragon, mayhaps?” He gave a rueful shake of his head at that, “if'n I need a dragon. egad.”

“Take th' document wi' yer needs tae mine 'ouse 'pon Gold Dragon Way 'n th' north o' RhyDin.” I offered by way of explanation.

Tass added, “or my Athenaeum by the Old Temple's barony manor.”

Rab frowned, “athe. Antha. Ateh. Old Temple. Right.”

Tass laughed good naturedly, “the old library.”

Rab nodded happily, “well, I'll have word to yeh next week. And now, if'n I can beg yer leave, I'll see what warm up to the work I can do in one of these rings...”

I bade Rab take care, and he grinned at me, then gave Tass a long last look, muttering softly, “dragon eh. bite me in the bum, never'd of known it.”

I took a quick sip of the Liquid Fire to hide my smile, and Tass retorted back to Rab, “well.. if you so wish.. though I'm not sure either your nor I would enjoy that.”

Rab quickly tucked the drawings into his shirt and hurried away, “ah…. No.”
RabMallet
Adventurer
Adventurer
harmless

Post by RabMallet »

BUILDIN FOR DRAGONS
I’m finally starin at Alais’s drawins for her dragon government. Enormous. Jest keep shakin me head. Sixteen-foot entry doors. Twenty-foot ceilins. Three hundred foot across. Like to be Sean Toggins’s pond, but indoors. Hoowhee.

Course, it’s sposed to be filled with dragons – filled. A dragon government , guess that’d be dragon judges and dragon tax collectors and dragons in frilly hats and fancy leggings that talk funny down their noses at common folk and send them off to war while they set in their loverly towers. All governments’ likely the same that way, methinks.

So anyhow. There’s a good stand of mahogany a week southward, out toward the warm-sea. Ancient stuff. Broader than I can reach, and out of sight into the clouds. Which is good, as the beams need to be five foot thick to run a hundred foot span. Dragons’re heavy. Can’t have all the tax-collector-section disappearin through the floor in the middle of roll call. Well … well it wouldn’t be polite, no matter me thoughts on dragons or on tax collectors.

Hundred foot beams, five foot thick. That’s a mighty beam, there. Mayhaps when I see how they’re settin the columns and layin foundation stones, there can be less of them, but seems no matter me head-scratchin and number-countin and drawin out the thing, there’s twelve-some beams plus and two-score beams two-and-half-foot thick. Per floor. Egad. We’ll be seein some scary hemerroidals on them dragons.

Then there’s the plankin for the walls. Can use the scrap from the beams – trim off the main trunk and the branches to do that – but still, its jest an alarmin pile of timber. There’ll be a mill runnin for months cutting the stuff. And then there’s stair treads, doors, window trimmins. Elfies will be carvin their wee arses off if it’s to look like the drawins when all’s said and done. Dunno bout that big round window. Need to find some light wood. Birch? Hmm.

But the big stuff first-like. Beams. I spend a couple days thinking on the beams, and how many trees it’ll take – beams for the main building, and then there’s the towers. Me head hurts most of the time now, with all that Math. But me chest aches a bit now too. This’ll sweep a forest of world-wise mahogany clear out of sight, not a stick left. All to put these dragons in their cozy perches to chat together. Now, I’m all a man for the heart that wood puts into a building, but … but that jest an awful lot of heart. Those dragons best put an end to all that’s horrible in this world with all that mahogany round them.

Sigh.

Well, onward. They’ll be wantin word of my figures, and I’m already a day late, though I thought I’d see Alais at the Arena. Didn’t quite realize the … scale of it all, when we first talked though. She’d be best building a mill on her island. Or three. Mayhaps they can build one or two down in the mahogany stand and then the dragons can fly them, easy-peasy, up to Matlal when they’re done at the stand. Rough-cut to beam size at the stand, then a mill for finer cuts at Matlal. Guess that’d work. Never built a mill that flies though.

Hmm. If’n her beams need to be five foot thick, and the dragons need twenty-foot to not knock their noggins, guess that means the ceiling’ll need to be twenty-five foot high. Otherwise they’ll all be duckin and walkin and duckin and walkin and then when they stop they’ll have their heads inside a five-foot deep box of mahogany. But, maybe dragons would like that, makin their voices echo and boom. Dunno. I wonder what happens if’n one sneezes during their speeches. Does fire come out? That’s a sure mess, sneeze on yer neighbor-governor and burn all his hair off. Course, then there’d be smoke, and burnin hair smells right hideous, so guess that’d set everyone to sneezing. And then their big meeting is done and everyone’s lost their hair and smells like smoke.

I don’t think carpenters would make good government-folk.

I try to be neat about my notes, but big hands jest make a scrawl, mostly. I don’t keep any paper round, so I put all the wood figures down on the back of Alais’s plans. Countless trees. Months of timberin and millin. Thank Sir Momus for the dragon-haulin, or it’d be months getting the timber from one place to another. Scores of lumber hands, mill hands. Silver and silver and piles of silver. Big numbers that make me need a drink of water. Leastwise I won’t be seein it show up here. Egad. Jest what I need.

But this dragon government’s liken to be the most pretty thing I’ve ever been close to, and a place no one will forget.

It’s quiet next morn. Haven’t heard a pipsqueak from them goblins for a bit, which means they’re off hassling Toggins’s cow again or they’re havin a go at Swanson’s waterwheel. Bathin, mayhaps. I roll up all the drawins and hotfoot it into Rhydin, looking for Alais’s shop. House. Manor. What-yeh-have.

The streets still get me turned round some, and I find instead that I’m starin at a tall red-bricky thing, on a street that sounds familiar, and it looks to be Sir Momus’s Anathemadum. Spose I could leave the drawins here, but … I get close as I dare, sniffin for dragon-scent and checkin the sky a bit. Course, I never smelled dragon before, and Sir Momus didn’t smell none when we were talking, but … But I jest decide that a big book house for dragons is probably jest fine without meself. Alais’s house it is. Someone moves in a window when I trudge away, but I’d rather not look again.

Alais’s is … large. See a bit of consistent-likeness. Big walls, all green stone. Big trees overlookin it all. There’s a gate and a window-slot where a man who doesn’t look very pleased about me asks bout me business. I tell him of the island and show the plans and get a bit sweaty-palmed while he talks with another window-slot man. I says “I’m fine leavin it all for her. Expect she’s out and about, of course… Don’t go, er, getting her off’n the pot or anythin…” He glares and nods and says something I don’t hear, so I figure I’ll jest lookit the fine woodwork of the gate – curly cues and dragon and all – and see what’s to do next.

Return to “Emerald Isle”