A Journey Begins

Realm of the Momus Estate

Moderator: Tasslehofl Momus

Altara d'Poison
Adventurer
Adventurer

A Journey Begins

Post by Altara d'Poison »

Leaving the security of the vale and the comfort of his arms, she was not extremely happy to be in the position that she was now in. Not that she minded getting a lift from one of her hunt mates, especially her favored small friend she quickly sent to him as she patted the arch of his slender neck reassuringly, but the desires Max sent crashing through her mind had totally engulfed her after she had expended much of her energies seeking her dreams and the colors of his world. Admiring the coloring of the dress as it was now she thought perhaps she had been emeshed within the world of the black too long. Wanting no more at the moment than the heat of his touch, she shivered in the early grayish pink dawn.

“Yer timin’ could ‘ave been better,” she muttered to the greenish-gold dragon. He crooned back to her with soothing chirrups and the images she envisioned from him were enough to make her laugh.

“Nae my friend, ’e was nae ‘urtin’ one,” she hurriedly reassured him, wanting to head off any thoughts that she knew the small dragon was probably already rolling through his mind. She wasn’t entirely certain of what her hunt mates thought of Max and the confusing thoughts she picked up from Phal did little to help her on that front. Tails on the other hand, now that was a beast of a different color. She had reached the end of her endurance with him the morning she came back from Max’s and found not only the pillows shredded down to the last one but her robe too. That had been the straw that broke the proverbial camel’s back and she had yelled at him maybe a bit too harshly after she realized what his reasoning was. That had been the last she had seen or even felt of his presence. She knew he was one with them too, as much an outcast as she had been and together they had overcome much as they learned to rely on the other. Saddened that one of her brothers felt she was betraying them, she had been more than surprised at what she picked up from Tails as he had fled her tirade. Foolish she may be to want to be whole as Khirsah had told her, so did Tails allow her to gather from him, they would always stand behind her but they didn’t have to like it. The elder dragon was not pleased that she would seek to abandon them just as she had returned from her long tenure of solitude.

She shook her head to clear her mind, trying to drive off the chill of the morning as she snuggled down closer to the dragon’s back, the rush of the wind causing her white hair to dance as mists about her face and shoulders. “Ya coulda at least let one get somethin’ ta ward the cold off,” she called to him. Visions of closed off portals made her laugh. Apparently the dragon had the thought in his head that she wouldn’t have come out had he allowed her time to go inside, she had been late to meet him as it was and she snickered knowing he may possibly have been correct. The most she got out of his thoughts past that point was a serene comfort ensuring her safety for Max. Her last thoughts before her weariness finally succeeded in claiming her was that Phal had finally lost his mind. Secure in her safety and the trust she had with the beast, she lay her head down upon crossed arms on his back and let sleep take her, the dragon carrying her to where she had shown him in her mind.

Peering through awakening eyes she sensed they were close. Looking up into the morning sky she pushed away the chaos that took her whenever she awoke and glanced down at the passing countryside. Stretching out her arms above her head she felt the exhilaration of the dragons flight and couldn’t help but smile.

She remembered back to when she had first seen him and the harsh thoughts of the other dragons about him. Sure he was smaller than the rest she mused as she stroked the leathery neck but she had never doubted his heart and the desires he had shared with her to be accepted. Acceptance within the pack had shocked her more so than the older dragons refusal to teach the small one to fly. She knew the dragons order, she also knew they tolerated him and his stature, an embarrassment to be endured rather than an asset as she felt him to be.

Passing the time as they sailed on she thought of the first time he had wanted to share his newfound freedom of the skies with her. She had approached Khirsah and asked his approval and had sullenly received it. She had never a doubt that Phalgisto was indeed a dragon that could fly, sure his wings were not totally in proportion with the rest of his body but she didn’t feel it was reason enough to cast him aside. Following her heart she had taken on the task of teaching the little one to fly. It had not been easy but his heart was in the right place and he had tried to follow what she tried to teach him. A comical sight to any that may have witnessed them, she had cared not what any of the pack had thought and the morning that Phal had called to her excitedly of his triumph she had ran from the cottage hurriedly binding the laces down the sides of the leather jumper and was shocked to a laughing tirade as she shared his success. He was actually flying! All of the trials to gain him wing strength had proven worthwhile and she had been genuinely thrilled for him. He had proven himself for her and his willingness to share with her was without measure as he had landed and beckoned her to join him. She recalled the first time she had climbed to his back and the feel of the small yet powerful wings as he had gathered his legs under him and leapt up to meet the sky. His joy had been hers and they had been inseparable ever since. Feeling her approval at how far he had progressed in his strengths the dragon roared along with her as she threw her head back and howled her exultation.

Slowing his winged pace the dragon lowered his head to control their descent. The vale was below them and with a slow spiraling the dragon rode the currents of wind to the ground, gently settling his clawed feet to the earth as he lowered his wings so she could dismount. Throwing her arms about his neck she thanked him for his gift of the flight then gave him a fair scratching behind his eye ridges. She had never failed in her beliefs of their friendship and always made sure that he never felt taken advantage of. Crooning his satisfaction at her attentions she smiled as she slid off of his back.

“Phal, ya canna come ana further wi’ one, gotta do this one on my own,” she told him.

He understood what it was she meant to do and he butted his wedge shape head against her legs to get her motivated. Grinning at the nudge to her legs and mind she turned to look about the vale. They had landed in the midst of a small clearing amid an emerald collage of various plants. Unfaltering were her steps as she walked to the edge of the clearing and with a single glance back at him with a wink she turned and spoke the chant to allow her to walk into the portal that would take her to the druidic halls of the vale.

For those uninitiated to its whereabouts it would never be seen. For those that knew of its existence it would always be waiting to take its guest to the true heart of the vale. Steeling her nerves she stepped into it’s narrow opening without looking back. The pace of her steps took her through the portal and she emerged for the second time in her life into the emerald green vale of the Anathros, the home of those that followed Aluen, only this time it was her own legs that carried her and not her cursed savior.

Coming to a stop she gazed about and was amazed at the clarity that befell her. What is this she thought? Had the madness of her blood-ties abated to the point that she was of her own mind again? Shrugging it off she looked to the center of the vale and rested her gaze on a sight that she had thought sure she would never have lived to see again. The magnificent temple hall that had been erected in honor of Aluen, carved of a polished black stone it shone back the reflections of the black her eyes had turned to. A small pool of crystal clear water that seemed to take on the sheen of the polished stone was before the entryway of the hall. A chain bound to a silver chalice was attached to a stone marker by the pool. Gazing at it the memories seeped back and she knew instinctively what she had to do. Reaching a hand out she took the cup firmly to hand and dipped it into the pool’s water, pausing only long enough to cast the blessing of Aluen before draining the cup of it’s contents. Releasing the chalice she let the bound chain pull it back to the marker.

Her blackened gaze kept watch to the temple hall doorway, awaiting one of the druids that would take her to the temple’s center now that she had been purified by the crystalline waters. Her wait was not long. A solitary figure in a black hooded robe soon came forth, his hands outstretched to her.

“What seeks ye of the Black?” he questioned her.
“By one’s path, innocence untarnished, this one seeks the council o’ Aluen, the one mistress o’ the Black,” she replied.

“What seek ye of Aluen,” he responded, speaking the name in a most reverent manner.

“One seeks the wisdom that was taken when Aluen made one a spirit o’ the Black.” Knowing this would take the time of the day beyond the night she knew also that she couldn’t rush the figure, it would take her when it felt that the requirements were met fully. Kneeling down to one knee before him she lowered her black eyes from the heavens and turned her gaze on the one in the robe.

“One is strong in her faith my child and ye shall have your request met. I see that there are others of the Black that seek to aid you in your tasks.” Waving a long arm beyond the pool she turned to look where it was that he pointed to and was shocked to see Tails there.

“Talismana of the Black, do ye seek also to aid this one in her tasks?”

The small wolf nodded a black head and looked to her with eyes as black as her own. She fought off the smile that was on her face, it wouldn’t do to have one of the Watchers catch her off guard letting her emotions show before she had her audience with Aluen. When the figure in the robe motioned to the wolf he slowly came forward with his head lowered, his eyes to the pool. Seeing the figure’s apparent approval of Tails she reached for the chalice and once more filled it, lowering it so that Tails could drink of the purifying water. He drank hurriedly as she cast a worried glance to the waning daylight. Loosening the chalice after he had finished drinking, it returned to the marker that held it.

The wolf lowered his body till he was lying beside her as she knelt before the robed figure. Without a backward glance or any words spoken the figure turned and walked towards the doorway.

“Be true to your path and your spirit pure, those that wish passage into the temple has been granted. Delay not for the sun dies in the heavens. Go in peace to the Chamber of Aluen.”

As one they both took their stance before the figure and with a bow of their heads to him they walked through the doorway together.

The hallway that lay before them was as black as the stone outside but it held a translucent light that allowed them to see through their night’s eyes. Without a word to Tails she walked true to the pathway that she needed, it had been calling her for days now and she let her feet go of their own accord. Nearing the far end of the hallway they came to a large over-sized oaken door. Together as one they stopped before the door, it slowly vanished as they watched it open and as one they entered the chamber.

The room they entered was round but there was no light to speak of that would have illuminated corners had there been any. The only object in the room was a golden orb the size of a dragon’s egg that spun slowly on an unseen force, a light that came from within the spirits of those that had been and those that would follow her. She knelt before it and lowered her forehead to the orb. Tails lay down beside her and together they waited Aluen to come.

Without fail the orb begin to pulse as it heeded her call. Keeping their eyes to the orb as it pulsed they felt her presence before actually seeing her. A figure in a golden mist slowly took from before them. Without a word the figure bent and took their hands into its shadowy folds and bade them stand. They stood as the silent figure took a more solid form. The voice when it spoke was as pure as the waters they had drank from and without any malice.

“What seeks the Black that one would summon me?”

Still on her knees she let the thoughts of her heart lead her way. “One o’ the Black seeks redemption, one’s duties done as the pact required.”

“One’s duties, Altara Dayrinn, Poison of the Black, for I know ye well little one, are nae complete.”

Willing her black gaze to Aluen she nodded once. “It canna be that one is still needed. The pact ‘as been fulfilled as yer bargain commanded,” she returned.

“Nae little one, the Watcher’s say it isn’t your time yet, I cannot go against those that give me breath. Seek your path elsewhere if ye must but I cannot grant ye passage into the hands of man”

“Mistress, one ‘as sought a different path, that o’ the ‘eart. There is one that is nae afraid o’ what one is and it is fer that I seek redemption.”

“So, it has finally come to pass that which was destined to be. For seventy moons I watched ye as the life-blood that passed to ye was set to flow in your veins. Has the blood of the Black truly been diluted?”

Shaking her head vehemently she denied the fact. “Nae mistress, one’s innocence is untarnished, but one longs fer the soul that she ‘ad.”

“So, ye seek to break the pact?” The chill in Aluen’s voice they both felt.

“One is confused mistress, there are desires that seek ta destroy one inside, one does nae know what ta do other than ta seek yer council. One shall do as ya bade one ta do and willingly so as fer the pact it was made unbeknownst ta one, if this one’s touch is ta be denied then wish it was myself that would ‘ave perished instead o’ the dreamwalker that gave one life.”

Aluen nodded her understanding, she too had once known what it was to be held in another’s embrace even if it had been centuries ago. “Come, little one, show me this man that leads ye to such distress, I will gauge for myself if he is worthy of the blood that binds ye to us.” Holding out a misty hand to Altara she allowed a smile to the wolf. “I see that ye stand beside her, know ye too that her path is bound forever to yours, would ye be willing to let her die in this world to be born again into one that doesn’t want her?”

Tails looked up to Aluen and she could feel that he would die beside Altara before turning his back on her.

“Shall we?” Aluen asked.

Looking to each other, they both stood. Altara placed a comforting hand on Tail’s back and took Aluen’s with the other. Drawing strength from Tails and thinking of Max she closed her eyes and led Aluen and Tails to him. She knew she would not be able to be there long but just seeing him would sooth her sore heart at being absent from his side.
Altara d'Poison
Adventurer
Adventurer

Seeing his misty form from within the circle she couldn’t help but smile but too late she realized Aluen had seen the motion, the latter frowning. Aluen broke the contact, breaking the vision from their eyes. She had seen enough to know it warranted closer watching. She forced the memories of her time as Altara’s guide to the forefront of her mind. There was only one answer she could give Altara, and it was not going to be one that she wished to tell her, having heard it so many years ago herself.

“I knew this would come to pass and I cannot be allowed to fail ye now, my child. I cannot do as ye ask. Ye know fully what ye are, that can never change. Seek nae longer lest ye destroy what peace ye do have. The pact keeps ye grounded to their here and now. To give that which ye seek would be giving ye a death sentence that I cannot condone, least of all at my own bidding. That which your wolven brother has given already has allowed ye to continue the Watchers work. For that ye must stay strong. Feeding from the dreams of their world ye keep the balance by storing it within these halls. Would ye be willing to unleash that which ye contain? It is that strength that ye hold within that allows ye to walk their dreams. Take care of that which ye bind and be true to your blood right.”

Aluen’s form melded back into the mist that bound it within the orb. The silence not comforting at all as Altara dropped to her knees before the woman. Lowering her eyes to the floor she closed them. The evening had come too soon, the orb pulsing, calling her. She backed away from it, denying it’s embrace even as she longed to step within. Tails felt her distress but was helpless to utter a whimper, let alone to comfort her.

“Know this, Altara Dayrinn, Poison of the Black.” The tone compelling her to look up into the golden mists. “The man weakens your strength, my child, though two can be one, do not be careless. I desire nae to see ye captive within your own misery. When ye came to us, we knew ye for the creature of death that ye were, but there was more within your soul that was begging release that the others failed to see. Ye were found worthy of the pact and allowed your freedoms. Perhaps foolish I was to see to much into it, as it was I that saw the control ye wrought to stay bound to this form. Allowed to many things to go unchallenged, we have. When feeling the bonds that ye placed to this man, ye forced him to be of the blood even as ye fought against that which was forced to ye long ago. Warned ye were when ye left to know your duties to uphold the pact, for that holds your soul here. When his time comes, and yes, it will come that he will fulfill his blood’s right, by your hand it is seen for that is the way. Ward that which ye love. Do nae deny him that which ye have gave, for by his path now must he be held accountable for the blood of the black. When his time comes to take his place within the halls and come it must, he too will be consumed by the orb. The blood flows strong in the man, be true to your blood right.”

Heaving a sigh as Aluen’s words echoed in the chamber she remained on her knees, Tails scooting close enough to lay his head in her lap. She waited for the presence to retreat, not willing to move for fear of being pulled along. At a nuzzle from Tails she slowly looked up. The orb had settled to a solid glow of gold, Aluen gone from her senses she stood, working the stiffness from her legs. How could she dare to tell Max that she had so much as signed his death warrant? If she had known what she had forced on him she would have walked way but the loneliness from her self imposed exile had overcome her sensibilities. He was sure to hate her when she told him what awaited because of a careless moment. She cursed herself three ways to sundown as she left Aluen’s chamber intent in her path to her own. It had taken time to learn to control the orb that bound her to this place. Painful lessons of self-control had taken their toll as she had tried to escape it, to regain that which was taken at the hand of a man.

Unerringly her steps led her before the door of her chamber, her hand held out to it the door slowly vanished. With Tails on her heels she walked into the room. The wolf whimpered as he came into the room, slinking off into the comfort of distance from the orb in the center of the room. The orb sensing her presence pulsed a silvery glow, the call of it strong as it made her blood sing, needing her to nurture it. She approached it without a word, urging it to take from her essence as she neared it. She thrust her hand fearlessly into the center of it. Clenching her fist she slowly withdrew her hand, the silvery mists still clinging to it. There was one way she knew she could protect him from this realm. She forced herself to accept what she had done. The sadness she felt for what she could never give causing a tear to fall from the dark eyes. As she opened her hand, the tear landed in the center of her palm atop a silver stone. As it absorbed the tear the stone pulsed once before turning as ebon as her eyes, a perfect twin to the one she had gave him. With it close she would be able to sense if he was in trouble. She had sworn that she would never hurt him and it killed her inside to know that she had hurt him beyond his knowing. She was determined to protect him and with this thought hovering in her mind she slipped the stone into her pocket. Her voice soothing she called out to Tails to leave this place before she changed her mind.

Stepping out into the drakness of the night she turned a glance back to the hall. Watching as it slowly faded from view she couldnt help the feeling that someone, or something, was waiting for her to falter. Blinking off the feeling she saw Phal walking over to them, the small dragon highly aggitated. He had not liked this one bit. She had been gone from his mind's eye for more time than he liked to be hungry. The adventure had taken its toll on her and for that she was thankful her friend had waited, she could not have made it home on her own this night, the orb had taken much of her strength.

"Take us 'ome Phal. Owe ya one m'friend." she murmered into his neck as he spread his wings and took them to flight. The dragon bugled at Tails his concern but Tails merely hung his head and ran off into the night, ready to be clear of this place.
Altara d'Poison
Adventurer
Adventurer

Her return was more than she had expected. She did truly have feelings for him and she felt he did in return. She still wasnt sure if she should tell Max what Aluen said, or at least not all of it maybe. They had talked long of it all but the worst was knowing that she couldnt be what she thought he deserved. He told her it didnt matter, that he loved her no matter what she was. She begged to the Goddess that it was true for never before had she loved any man as she did him. She had never been more confused in her life and she knew that what Aluen had told her had been true, she was weaker because of him if only for opening her heart to his.

Perhaps she could balance things out and keep them away from him. She knew he held her stone but would it be enough to keep out the same call that she knew soon would be reaching for him. Taking advantage of his absence one evening she had found herself at the bar on the observotory deck, looking out across the pond towards the cliffs in the distance. She was amazed at how easily Max had seemed to fit in to everything here even though she had been worried about Tail's reaction, that was the least of her problems. She fixed a glass of the sweet green stuff she had grown fond of and reached to slide the clipboard over. If he was the one the elder's spoke of she had best be prepared. If anything was ever to happen to her Max woud find out she had lied. With drink to her lips she porceeded to set down on paper all that had come before.

My dearest beloved,
Fer ya ta see this then one canna ana longer safeguard ya from the curse that one 'as passed ta ya. Please fergive one fer bein' less than truthful and forthcomin' wi' what one 'as wished ta save ya from. It isna an easy task that one must attempt ta set things right. Some o' this ya know but what one 'as done it 'as surely been fer the love that one 'as. So one sposes ta start at the beginin' as one knows it.

The Watchers said that one was an assassin. Dont recall much o' that other than what 'as been passed on, dont think they woulda lied ta me but ya ne'er know. From what one 'as 'eard, pretty good at what the different tasks were as well. The events leadin'up ta and surroundin' what one 'ad done was o' ma own choice. E'er 'ave I walked a dark path and fer that e'er 'as one been alone, again that was ma own choice. Apparently one's last task was 'er undoin'...nae fer doin' it but fer a refusal to carry out the order. They claim it was a boy child and by sparin' the child's life one became a pawn o' necessity. Their's specifically. When it was found out what one failed ta do, one was 'unted down jest as one 'ad done ta others and before long, one was caught up wi'. Again a soft 'eart was ta be one's undoin'. Came upon a wolf that 'ad been 'unted jest as I was and wi' a rage one 'ad ne'er felt, thought in folly ta save this creature if it was the last thing I did. They thought it sport ta tempt me so and I slayed three where they stood afore we became set upon by those that sought me. Needless ta say two against mana dinna last long. Was told that a lone man found me and this wolf each dyin' o' it's own course. I 'ad ne'er 'ated afore such as then and e'en in pain I lashed out at the man. 'e stayed ma 'and wi' a single word. Redemption. So entranced one was that the wolf's mark on me was nae noticeable. They tell me that the wolf was o' an old bloodline that couldna be allowed ta die, is why the man was there, ta see ta it that it dinna 'appen. Wi' it's dyin' breath the wolf 'ad ripped one's soul ta save it's own. And when that man said what 'e did it was like ma mind exploded. They say that we died that day. The two 'ad became one though at the time I dinna know what it meant.

The man tended what wounds 'e could and when one was strong nuff, we travelled ta the 'eart o'a vale. Spoken o' it some wi' ya but nae its true intent. There is a fountain where stands the keeper o' the hall. Was instructed in 'ow to pass fer apparently someone 'ad taken an interest in me and they needed me. Was taken to a chamber where resided Aluen, a most wondrous bein'. Since the wolf's work was nae completed, essentially ta carry out it's bloodline till nae longer needed now befell ta me. Ta some it could be seen as redemption but now that I look back again, it's still the curse o' ma days ta me. Wi' this man's words still ringin' in ma ears I listened to what she offered ta me. And I accepted. One was taken ta the path o' the light and cleansed o' all that 'ad been. Dinna think it a consequence ta trade a cheat on death ta do such a thing as they asked. Fer 'ow long could one's duties take I thought though I wasna ta sure what it was. It seemed the offer o' a lifetime and turnin' ma back fully on what I was, the two became one, this wolf and me complete. 'e traded 'is life fer mine, seeking a comfort in death than continuin'.

The man one came ta find was the keeper o' the vale. 'e told me o'a prophecy that seemed presposterous at the time. Seein' as the 'ate fer man rang strong wi'in, one scoffed at it. When it was ma time, then as the wolf that 'ad gave so much, it would be one's time ta pass it on. Fer that one was prepared. By choice one chose ta seek the way o' the blood, drinkn' o' the fountain ta call the keeper o' the 'all. It wasna long after steppin' back wi'in o' ma own accord afore my soul led me ta a chamber wi'in the 'all. Knew it ta be ma own from the insignia on the door and when ma 'and touched the engravin' wrought in it, the door vanished leavin' a room wi' a silver orb floatin', jest as it 'ad been when Aluen judged me. Compelled as it called ta me I reached ta touch it. When ma fingers made contact it pulsed a silvery light and seemed ta know me e'en as it seemed ta drain away my bein' but still I stood afore it, nae flinchin' as it took away the last o' what one was. Knew then what one's tasks where as bound ta these watcher's and it was wi'out 'esitation that one did as the orb commanded.

I 'ad made ma choice. Bound ta it one always will be and ta e'er seek ta become what ya deserve then one would forfeit the very thing I was seekin'. Ya say it doesna matter and fer that one 'as stayed 'er 'arshness and judgement's jest ta 'ave what we can. Foolish and selfish one is indeed ta 'ave beleived that one's work was complete. The orb that contains one's essence will nae let one go 'cept back ta the death that 'ad been ordained from the beginin'. The orb's need is mine and it sends me ta stalk the dreams o' the vera one's despised. There is so much I should 'ave told ya but a fear o' losin' ya 'as stayed one's words ta silence. Feel as tho one 'as commanded a death sentence ta ya fer what I 'ave done and fer a failure o' bein' the guide I shoulda been. Wi' ma own blood, as it was passed ta me, as I 'ave ta ya also. Ya are strong 'nuff ta bear the weight if ya are ta carry on this one's work tho it's nae clear 'ow me bein' gone will affect ya. I know this only dares more questions and nae ana real answers. If one fails 'er duties ta ya, seek the talisman ta ward ya beloved. May 'e guide yer strength ta yer own redemption.

Fergive me.
Altara

Binding it with her seal she encharged its saftey to Phal to keep. The small dragon obliged and came and carried it off. She prayed to the Goddess that she wouldnt ever see it again.

Return to “Emerald Isle”