Tales from the Atreblan Valley

Moderator: Michelle Montoya

Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Allen

Post by Michelle Montoya »

Allen ran through the narrow halls of the manor, chasing after his younger cousin “I’m going to catch you Lilly-billy! You can’t hide from me!” The younger girl squealed in delight as she ducked around a corner, barely missing her grandmother on the way. Allen bulldozed after her and ran headlong into his grandmother “Sorry Grandma Ann” he bellowed back as he continued the forward charge.

He burst open the side door of the main dining room and stopped to scan the hiding places. A soft blue slipper peaked out from behind the thick burgundy curtains. “Gotcha” he whispered. Then he tackled the form behind the curtain. His cousin’s giggles turned into screams of delight and gasps for air as he tickled her mercilessly before wrenching out the small green shield in her hands. “Shields are for grown men who are soldiers, get it?”

Lilly rolled her eyes and then got up quickly when her aunt walked in. “Hello, Aunt Michelle.”

“Good afternoon Lilly.” Michelle continued to button up her cloak before turning to Allen. “Young man, shields are for any warrior - man, woman or other.”

“Yeah, but you said we were going to watch two men fight tonight.”

Michelle paused for a moment, looking at the way her son’s hair parted like his fathers before replying “Yes, I did. I believe you are spending too much time with the men in the garrison - some of them have outdated views regarding the honor of a duel and equality of the sexes.” Perhaps, she thought, it is time to find him a proper tutor. He had been asking for months, badgering her every chance he got. Initially, they had compromised - twice a week he could go down into the valley and train with the soldiers there. In reality, he snuck off as frequently as he could.

“Now, help me take the carrier to the carriage. We want to arrange the pies before the duelers arrive.”
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Watching the Overlord Challenge

Allen bounced a bit while holding onto the large handle of the shallow but multi-layered carrier. He still couldn’t figure out why mom had made enough pies to feed the entire manor and then some. Were there going to be that many people? Were they all stuffy adults in puffy clothing like he’d seen in some of the fencing demonstrations?

A few people were already sitting down when they arrived at the dueling arena. He helped his mom set up the pies, but kept glancing at the rings - and the people. When was the fighting going to start!?

Then someone announced the fight between Mallory and Gren. Mallory sounded like a girls name, but he guessed a boy could be called that.

Mmmmm. The blueberry pie!

He snuck a piece while his mom wasn’t looking. Chocolate cream was his favorite but sometimes he just liked the fresh taste of those juicy blueberries. He looked up to see his mom serving him a piece of chocolate cream pie. He needed a way to get rid of the evidence. He quickly spotted a goblin who was serving pie and tapped him on the shoulder. “Hide this!” he said and handed him the leftovers of his blueberry pie. As he quickly shoved the plate into the goblins hands a bit slipped and he got a stain on his sleeve. He rubbed it as quickly as he could hoping his mom wouldn’t be looking that closely. Allen took the pie and then sat down beside his mom near another guy, some lady with fancy blue hair and - most importantly - a great view of the ring.

The lady champion, Mallory, was apparently fighting for the Overlord who had been challenged by Gren. Some kind of test. The thing Allen found most impressive was the massive weapon she used. At one point it even carved out a piece from the arena floor itself. Maybe girls really could fight. Mallory’s two hands gripped the weapon expertly, in such a way as he’d never seen the soldiers at the garrison fight.

The lady in blue commented, “Nifty sword huh.”

Allen didn’t think ‘nifty’ adequately described the massive and deadly looking thing. “Her sword is the most deadly weapon I’ve ever seen. How does she even wield it?”

“She’s powerful. Duh.”

“Well, yeah. But, I’ve seen soldiers fight with swords and when they get big and heavy they can get awkward. She doesn’t look like a beefy soldier.”

The woman's blue hair shook slightly as she rolled her eyes (something that would have earned him a strong scolding). “She’s a witch. Welcome to RhyDin!”

At that moment the ‘witch’ traded blows with the challenger in the ring and it was one of the most exciting things to watch. He almost stood up out of his seat while shouting “YEAH! Go, badass lady!”

He said it before he knew what happened. It didn’t register until he saw that look from his mother and got a silent lecture. Well, there went a weeks privilege at the garrison - but it was so worth it. Allen had been begging for this opportunity for almost a year, even before his mother started making more regular trips back to RhyDin. It was at that moment he caught a flash of bright yellow sunflowers. Most of the girls in the valley wore simple clothing, this looked like something from one of the fashion boutiques. He figured the girl was about his age, and she had yellow ribbons tied throughout her hair. It was a lot of yellow but he guessed it worked. She seemed very excited to see the blue-haired woman named Jewell.

Allen's thoughts quickly turned back to the fight, his knees bouncing. Whatever sneaky magic powers this witch had they were working. He could also tell it was more than that - she was skilled, more than anyone else. One day, he was going to be able to fight like her with a weapon like hers.

“Gren’s efforts to pivot away and gain some advantage in this fight is put to an end by Mallory’s high swing!” The announcer called out the results as the final blow was laid. “With the Baroness of Battlefield Parks’ victory, Overlord Matthew Simon continues his title reign.”

Allen stood up and applauded as loud as he could, offering a couple of “Whoop Whoop”s to his cheering. “Yeah! Awesome fight!” He then turned to his mother, eyes bright with excitement “When is the next one??”
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Thia

It was disappointing to find out that was the last duel, probably for the evening from the looks of it. It just left him wanting more - and for the chance to practice more than just a few sparring matches with the soldiers. His stomach grumbled a bit and the look of that chocolate cream pie a couple tables away beckoned him. Allen stood up, eager for some food before catching that flash of yellow again. He turned to the girl, remember his manners, “Do you want some pie?”

“It’s not poisoned, is it?”

Allen tried to mask his awe at the beautiful accent. “No, it’s not. My mom made it. It’s good stuff.” Why would she think they were serving poisoned pie? What kind of place was this RhyDin?

“MOM, CAN I HAVE THE NOT POISON PIE?” the girl yelled, despite her mother being right there. Koy's head snapped quickly towards her daughter.

“I'm right next ta ye, Thia, use yer inside voice. And aye, ye can have some pie, see.”

Allen watched as Thia moved the ice cream absently around in between taking bites of the pie. “Do ye know any magic tricks?”

His heart beat quickly with excitement, he loved showing off his talent and she just happened to ask for it. “Yes! I do! Hold on a second.” Allen rummaged in his vest for a bronze coin and held it in front of her. “Okay, now, watch the coin very carefully.” Given how much her mother distrusted foreign magic, Thia naturally gravitated towards the subject. She watched the coin with almost comical intent. “Okay, you see the coin right?” Allen held the coin in-front of him, then placed it in the palm of his left hand, pressing the right hand on top. “Now, tap my hand three times.”

Thia, despite thoughts in the back of her head momentarily about cooties, tapped Allen's hand three times. Allen opened up his hands, the coin having vanished from sight. “And it disappears!” Allen wiggled his fingers a bit, making a show of trying to ‘find’ the coin. “Since you did the magic, you must have it!”

“Do I?” Thia looked from one side to the other, twisting to try and look back.

“Yeah, I think you do. Here, lean forward a bit, and I can get it for you.” Allen was a bit nervous for this part, he had only practiced this with his cousin and his mom so far. After a questioning pause his new friend did decide to trust and lean forward, though she kept a dark green eye on Allen in case he tried to push her. He cautiously stretched out a hand to reach behind her ear, and then, pulling back the hand, opened his palm to reveal the same coin. “And look! It's the coin! You hid it behind your ear. That was sneaky of you. Since you did the magic, I guess you can also keep the coin.” Allen grinned at his magnanimous offer, pleased to have pulled off his sleight of hand trick. The girl clapped and laughed, taking the coin.

“Are ye sure? That was cool, thanks!” Thia reached out, trying to inspect Allen's sleeves as she worked to figure out how he did the trick. She found nothing suspect, no secret compartments or hidden threads.

“Want to see me do one?”

“Yea!”

She lifted a finger to indicate waiting a second. The girl dug open the yellow beaded bag she wore across her chest and pulled out a stain stick. She then proceeded to show Allen the blueberry pie spot on his sleeve before she pulled the cap off the stick and rubbed out the stain. Allen was not just impressed about her trick, but grateful the evidence of his extra pie sneaking was gone. “That's pretty cool.”

Thia beamed and looked from Allen to her mother for approval. Koy grinned and nodded at the girl. “Thanks! I know a lot 'bout treating fabrics.” Allen found the girl surprisingly easy to talk with. They chatted about fabrics, what their parents did, and - of course - fighting. He discovered that Thia’s dad was a member of the Air and Space Guard. Thia’s mom even invited him to come over and work on the basics at their home. The best part was, his own mom said YES.

Barely containing his whooping and cheering Allen eagerly grinned at Thia. The victory of many, many months of begging was happening in this moment. “This. Is. Going. To. Be. AWESOME!

“It is! I've been waitin' ta have someone my own size to spar with.”

It didn’t take long for the adults to finish the arrangements. Something about him bringing a pie every time he came - which was just fine with Allen. As they were leaving Thia called out “Later tater!”

He grinned in response “I'll see you soon then! I'll practice lots with the soldiers, so you better watch out!”

As the door closed behind him he heard her counter “I live with a soldier, so yar the one who should watch out!”

That night Allen could hardly fall asleep. He kept getting up to practice the moves he saw Mallory make in the ring with Gren. On his wall was a calendar with the coming Saturday circled with a thick red pen, the label “THIA’S” proudly displayed over the entire day.

Return to “Atrebla”