Tales from the Atreblan Valley

Moderator: Michelle Montoya

Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

A Change of Pace

Post by Michelle Montoya »

Candlelight flickered on the window pane, casting jumbled shadows that leapt and danced in some midnight revelry. The two women sat in overstuffed chairs, not quite facing each other but close enough to hold a private dialogue. Long, grey hair hung around the elder woman's shoulders as she read a red-leather bound book. Her companion tucked a stray strand of raven black hair behind her ear before returning to the knitting in hand.

"Have you given any thought to my suggestion?"

The younger woman didn't pause from her knitting, but carefully counted stitches before responding "Yes, and I don't think it's a good idea. I'm needed here and I can't afford to travel so far from the manor."

Wrinkled hands closed the book and set it down on the table between them, focusing steely eyes on her daughter. "This is precisely why I suggest you go. You feel bound here, and it is an unnecessary sentiment. We can manage just fine without you. A half-day - or even a full one - will do wonders for your spirit and the place won't come crumbling down while you are gone."

The knitting was also set aside in a nearby basket before blue-grey eyes lifted from their work. "I can't leave. Not again. They need me. I get my space well enough by taking my run down the mountains. Should something happen Kevin can be sent for me on horseback and find me in time to give you assistance. If I leave the realm you will have few ways of reaching me and I will be sick with worry."

A pregnant silence filled the space between them, threatening to birth some outburst of emotion.

With a dangerous calm, the older woman set her hand over the younger's. "You need a change of pace. I have a host of staff here to support us. I don't care if you go to RhyDin or somewhere else but you must take some leave. One, maybe two days a week is all I ask."

The tone of voice made it clear this was more of an injunction than a request. With a small sigh, a feeble protest was offered "I doubt anyone I know is still around, let alone will recognize me."

Her mother pursed her lips.

"Alright, I will go. A half-day, no more. I will likely be home very late. If you need me, please send Kevin through the portal. He can find me near or at the arenas."

After a small, encouraging smile Ann picked up her book and Michelle returned to her knitting.
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Ragnarok Infused Magic Orb

It had been a few months since Michelle had first taken her mother's advice and returned to RhyDin. Tonight she was coming home after a late dinner with her new mentor, Baroness Eden Parker, and Eden’s friend Nat Candle. After placing second in the All Ranks Tournament on Twilight Isle she chose the mystery box. It was left sitting on her side-table until the next morning.

Shortly before lunch the next day Michelle walked to the small guest house behind the manor. Her white-gloved hand made a gentle rap on the door. “My love, I’m coming in now. It’s me.” She opened the door which made no sound as it opened inward. Sitting in an overstuffed chair with bandages over his eyes was her husband. She slipped her right hand underneath his - how she wished he could stay in the manor.

He took his other hand and placed it on hers, turning towards the heat of her body. “M-m-m-m-m-mon choix.” They talked briefly about the bakery, the children, and her recent participation in the tournament. It was sometimes jolted as he stuttered and switched haphazardly between the various languages he knew. Eventually, she asked “My love, you will come into the manor? I have something I want to open with you and the children.”

“J-j-j-j-joooo”. She had learned that was a ‘yes’ in some language or other.

He took the guiding staff provided to him and she took his arm helping to support him. Some days were better than others and she could tell by the pale look on his face that he was in greater pain than usual.

They entered into a small library where Allen and Nadella were waiting. Allen was anxiously telling his sister that she couldn’t open the box yet. As they sat down on the loveseat next to each other Derrick sat up a bit straighter. “L-l-l-l-let her o-o-open it Alllllllen.”

Nadella beamed at her father, her bright blonde hair falling loosely around her shoulders. She tore open the box with youthful energy. Inside it was an orb of pure black. Nadella peered into it for a minute and scrambled away. “It’s so scary!”

Allen picked up the orb and looked into it, shuddering a bit before handing it to his mother. “That came from the magic tournament?”

Curious, Michelle took the orb and placed Derrick’s hands on it as well so they could examine it together. As she looked into it there was a hint -- just a nudge of a feeling that something was looking from the void back at her. As she stayed focused on the darkness a small spark of blue-green light began to shine in its’ center. Derrick’s hands moved around the orb a bit interrupting her vision for just a moment. “It’s co-co-co-cold. An-an-and p-p-po-powerful.”
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

A Bed of Fears

The lamp was dim in the small house behind the manor proper. Michelle slipped in through the door quietly, through the combined kitchen and dining room to one of the two doors at the back of the house. The door to the left was ajar, showing the sink and washtub. Quietly opening the solid wood door to the right Michelle’s eyes drank in the sleeping form of her husband. She was home, much, much later than usual. The bright orb above her shoulder hovered lightly, casting a delicate glow into the room. Summoning her connection to the magical threads of the realm she whispered a command - resto - the orb stayed in the air as she stepped into the room and closed the door. With a gentle movement, she slid between the covers and curled up next to him, inhaling his scent and presence. She felt him turn around and his hand moved up her arm and shoulder to touch her face. Staying absolutely still she let him feel her features - eyes, nose, ears, smile, and wrinkles. He whispered quietly and clearly “Michelle.”

3 Years Ago

Michelle woke to a loud scream right in her ear. Bolting upright she called out the keyword for the night-stand lamp “Lumen!” The lamp glowed brightly and showed her husband, eyes wide but dim. He yelled again in some foreign language and shouted a string of commands towards some beast of terror. Michelle gripped his arms and put her face in front of his. “My love. My love it’s just me here. My love, wake up.” She rubbed his arms and touched his face which slowly turned to focus on her instead of whatever horror loomed behind her shoulder. His eyes began to clear and focus on her.

“Michelle. Why are the lights on? Are you alright?”

Listening to the soft snores of her husband Michelle wondered if it would be one of those nights. Would he get up and sneak towards the door, dagger in hand, ready for some unknown monster? Would he grip her tightly, holding her with one arm and lashing out with the other as he protected her from the beasts in his dreams? And would it take seconds or minutes for him to wake up from the terrors which assailed him?

She sighed quietly. Those nights were fewer now. Perhaps because his mind was so far away. He could hardly remember Nadella let alone Malia who had died so many years ago. The greatest horror was not his dreams, but the fact that as those nightmares became fewer it meant the day when he didn’t remember her drew even closer.
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Do you remember?

Michelle closed the door softly, the lock clicking in place. She turned around, letting her eyes adjust to the darkness before heading towards the master suite bathroom. As she passed the bed something touched her hand and she startled, heart pumping, head racing. Subconsciously her hand reached for the black spruce wand.
“My love,” the hand touching hers pulled her down to the bed. “I’ve b-b-b-been worried about you.”

“Derrick,” he had already started to wrap her up in a warm, firm, embrace. “You didn’t need to worry.”

“You forget our vows, love.” His voice was firm, alert. “I felt it, hours ago, that you were in danger. And you were late getting home.” He nuzzled his head against hers - Mist had found a way to treat the sores around his eyes and so she only felt his soft skin and none of the coarse fabric from the old bandages.

“There were unexpected guests at the wedding. A clan of giants. It didn’t go over well and it ended up being an awful bloody fight. Mist patched me up after, but…”

Derrick’s arms squeezed around her, his hands trembling a bit as he softly stroked her hair. They sat in silence, sharing thoughts without words. What if she had died? What would happen to their children? What about their family? Do you remember the last time?

“I remember.”

“You do?”

“Yes, it was f-f-five years ago. They had swarmed the village. The children were hidden in the bushes with my grandfather.” He paused, his arms wrapped around her, their hands held fast together.

“We were on horses. Kavin had just set the trap before the Rothians crossed the line, the first wave fell into the pits. Malady was taking sniper shots from the tower.”

“A f-f-flank came around the corner. Five were slain by your hand, four by mine. And.. then…” he pauses, hesitantly. “I don’t r-r-r-remember what happened next. Just what I felt. Terror. Agony. Despair.”

His hands trembled and she gripped them more tightly. “It doesn’t matter what happened Derrick. We’re safe now.” For now, she thought. She almost lost him once, she wasn’t going to lose him again. And she couldn’t afford to take risks like she did earlier today, not with her family at stake. But if put in the situation again, would she have done anything differently? Would she abandon Nicklaus or leave Mallory to fight on her own? No. It was not the Montoya way.

“Michelle, my love. What will you d-d-do when I’m g-g-g-gone?”

“I don’t want to talk about that.”

He sighed softly, nuzzling into her neck. She never wanted to talk about it, because it wasn’t a reality she could even imagine. Michelle turned around in his arms and kissed him softly. “I want to just be.” Derrick kissed her back, slowly and deeply; his hand shaking as he undid the tie holding her hair back. They breathed a moment, foreheads pressed together.

“Then let us be,” he whispered.

Return to “Atrebla”