Changed Lives

Tales from the Atreblan Valley

Moderator: Michelle Montoya

Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“And perhaps one of those insect rackets for the talking fly with the tiny, ear-piercing voice.” Veighn’s gaze now affixed to the fairy. “Silence Shylah,” which only made Shylah hum louder, of course.

”Um, I do believe I may have spied a bottle of such the other evening.” Cieara set down her glass of iced tea with a clatter of the melting cubes within and turned about, casting her gaze over the array of bottles behind the bar and then stepped off to collect the one she remembered from a shelf nearby.

”Did that lout just call me an insect?” Topaz asked of no one in particular. ”That is a lovely tune, Shy. I had no idea you had such a voice.”

“S-I-L-E-N-C-E S-H-Y-L-A-H !” Veighn spoke slowly, his bass rising.

Cieara meanwhile had warmed up a small cup of honey and decanted the bottle to let the wine breathe. She glanced over at the sound of Veighn's commanding tone and chuckled softly to herself.

Shylah continued to hum unperturbed and gave Topaz a nod of thanks. Veighn decided to rid his goblet of the neglected wine by casting its contents in Topaz's direction. He retained the goblet, though, and also swung his arm to cause the red spray of his former libation to fan outward in its staining spray.

Topaz did not even move. A mere thought transferred the splattered wine back into the goblet, drop by little drop. It took a little while longer than just tossing something, but it was entertaining to watch the droplets dance through the air, which the fairy did, with a smug grin.

“Such an impish thing to do, Veighn.” Topaz giggled and then took another sip from the just perfect brandy even as Veighn tossed the goblet at Shylah.

Cieara swirled the warmed clover honey into a crystal cut goblet and then poured in the wine, letting it blend and mingle. Her senses caught the sweet and heady scent of strawberry mixed with the ferment and honey as she picked up the glass and started back towards Veighn.

“Here ye go Ceisdein, shouldn't be overly sweet I think. Only used a small amount of the honey.” She had obviously missed the flinging of his wine and then the goblet.

Veighn cast Topaz a sobering look.

“Got something else, Veighn?” Topaz’s smile was just as impish as before, clearly not sobered by his glare, though something glittered in her eyes. “Strawberries?”

”What makes ye think ye are of such importance that ye can speak to me so freely?” His head canted to the side.

Shylah, however, was prepared. She wasn’t a seasoned warrior for nothing! Instead of batting down the incoming container, she caught it, showing off her quick reflexes. Then she took a good look at the brass goblet.

“Tusen takk, Veighn. I knew you loved me! Such a beautiful drikking vessel!” She admired the goblet.

”Me, importance? Accusations.” Topaz replied to Veighn with a dismissing motion of a hand. Her interest was caught by the smell of berries, though.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

”Aye, tis a strawberry wine actually Milady. But I suspect that Taneth was about which often means there be fruit in the kitchen. She nae fails to bring more each day it seems.” A suddenly amused smile played upon Cieara’s frosted lips, her emerald pale eyes swung about to regard Topaz.

The young man had finished cleaning up the wolf and was once again seated at the bar, toying with a bottle.

Veighn bared his teeth at Topaz as he took the goblet from Cieara, a bestial tone - perhaps magically induced - resonated from deep within; it was something inhuman at best, at worst... few cared to fathom the depths of such things.

”My, what big teeth you have.” Topaz appeared utterly unimpressed. While she had experienced ‘bestial’ in all its horrifying splendor in potentially fatal situations and stood up to it, Veighn's response appeared mostly playful to her, though, and made her miss Lucien more acutely for a moment.

“Strawberry wine, now that has a fine ring to it.” She had a warm and wide smile for Cieara, feeling something a lot like kinship toward the lady. “Taneth is a sweet girl, always spreading cheer.”

”Come here and say that Shylah so I might snatch ye bald.” Veighn cast a glare Shylah’s way and incanted a spell with a few swiftly spoken words muttered and a twitch and wiggle of this and that finger. But by the time the spell took effect and the goblet started to glow Shylah already had tossed the goblet at the wolf she found to be so annoying, and resumed humming.

”Come hither, and I'll spread ye cheer all over the surface of that bar, as painfully as I can manage.” Veighn dared Shylah before he took his first sip of the honeyed wine.

”Aye that she is.” Cieara replied to Topaz, having stepped over to bring the bottle over to let Topaz see it, she placed it down on the bar before her with another glance sliding towards Veighn. Again she felt the surge of magical energy on the rise.

Veighn’s goblet ensorcelled, not the latter one discarded, he partook deeply of a second sip, meanwhile eyeing the patrons over the rim. Shylah silently watched the wolf bring a bell to her and place it on the floor just out of her reach. The female Viking had no intentions of taking the bell, preferring to patiently wait and see how the wolf responds to rejection. Hopefully he will just go away as she commanded earlier.

Topaz left the sentient magic to do as the little bits saw fit, as she studied the elfin writing on the bottle of strawberry wine. They sometimes had more useful ideas than her about what to do about surges of controlled, dumb magic.

”Tis something my Aunt Sid seems to offer up to a few of the family. So I remembered seeing it the other evening.” Cieara offered the information to Topaz.

”Sid is your aunt? How wonderful.” Topaz had not seen Sid in ages, though, and wondered briefly if the woman would even recognize her if they should run into each other again.

Veighn shot a sour look at Cieara at the mention of that name. He then took another sip, remaining silent for the time being as the ‘strawberry’ portion of his fermented beverage took affect.

”Oh! Aye, she is.” Cieara gave a now with another amused smile before she intercepted that sour look from Veighn and that humor bloomed within her iridescent emerald eyes and brought a radiant light to her pale lit features. “How is the wine Ceisdein?”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

”Needs more honey…” Veighn said gruffly.

Cieara replied with velvet soft laughter as she stepped away for a moment and then returned with the small cup holding more of that honey. She had been prepared just in case and had placed it in some warm water and offered it to Veighn now to add flavor as he wished.

”It is too bad I started with brandy, otherwise I'd beg you for a glass of it.” That, and Lucien didn’t like her tasting of alcohol. She reached into her skirt pocket and her hand came back out holding coins and foil wrapped caramels, all of which she transferred into the till.

”Ye should try it next time ye be around. It's very soothing and warm upon the palate and offers a very mellow sweetness. The honey does enhance the flavor as well. Luckily it be easy enough to warm.” Cieara wasn't the most graceful of creatures in a kitchen so such things needed to be easy to do.

Veighn flicked his wrist, and a tendril of shadow split from the shadow of a rafter support beam, hurtling down at an indeterminable speed, perhaps to smite the wolf's flank like a whip. The sentient magic went to play their version of ping pong with the controlled magic even as the wolf rolled over.

”I will make it a point to ask for it, thank you, Cieara.” Topaz smiled back to Cieara.

Veighn procured the comb from the small cup, and dangling it by its handle, drizzled a thin stream of honey into the goblet of strawberry wine. “Needs half-cream as well.” He added, replacing the honey-comb back into the cup floating in the hot water bowl.

Cieara’s brow rose slightly at that, having never thought to add milk to a wine but at Topaz's words she gave another amused smile.

“Ye be welcome Milady.” She was already moving to take one of the jugs of half cream from the cold box. “Be this what ye wish to add Ceisdein?”

”Aye…” Veighn said with some minor restraint, turning his gaze from Topaz to Shylah and back again.

”The sun is touching the horizon. I must go and tuck in Lucien.” Topaz set down the nearly empty glass. “A good day to you, Cieara, Shy, Veighn, Adam.” She nodded to each in turn and added a soft growl to the fellow forest creature. “It was a pleasure to meet you all tonight.”

”I hope ye have a pleasant day Milady.” Cieara replied and moved toward Veighn with the bottle as she offered another smile to Topaz and then reached a hand out to collect his crystal goblet. “So ye just wanting a touch of this in ye wine?”

“Farvel for na, Topaz.” Shylah sent over a wave.

"Good night." A grin flickered and vanished, the words were words barely more than a murmur as Adam gave a dip of his head.

Topaz slid off her stool then, not expecting a fare thee well from Veighn. But she didn’t miss his mutter in a foul language before he composed his features and mien into something stoic as well as majestic. With a bemused grin she turned to head out, fading from the visible spectrum just as she reached the door, the sentient magic trailing slightly behind.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Bugs

Topaz slipped into the Outback, hoping to catch the tail end of the Diamond Quest Tournament. It was something to distract her while Lucien was busy. The place was packed with people and she was still greeting friends and acquaintances when she spotted Lord Veighn approaching Taneth. He had made the little sunshine cry the last time she saw them and she was immediately worried for Taneth. She’d go over there and support the girl.

But before she could make it half way there she felt Lucien arrive. A smile lit up her entire face even as she halted her step and turned around.

“Lucien!” She ran right over.

“Good rising my dear.” Lucien scooped her up.

”And to you.” She smiled wide and placed a kiss on the tip of his nose.

“So you've come to watch them duke it out here tonight?” Lucien pulled her even closer.

”I was just about to go say Hello to Taneth, and yes, I'm curious to see who'll come away with the prize.” She still smiled, but she was concerned for her friend. “Cieara's brute of mate is over there with Taneth, too. You should meet him. Too bad though that his sweet Cieara isn't here. You'd really like her.”

“Why do angels mate up with brutes?” Lucien’s obsidian gaze swept the crowd a moment.

“Maybe she's attracted by the cave mannish charm just like I am with you?” Topaz chuckled and winked to Lucien.

“Cave man?” Lucien lifted a brow.

”Mhm.” Topaz gave him her most impish of grins and a soft growl, she’d show him later just how much she loved and appreciated his cave mannish and wild behaviors.

Lucien moved silently behind Topaz after they greeted Rena. Topaz’s gaze once again sought out Taneth. Veighn was behind her and massaging her shoulders with a decidedly devilish grin.

”Shall we go rescue Taneth and say Hello?” That would also provide an opportunity for Lucien to meet Veighn. Topaz would have preferred for such a meeting to happen while Cieara was present, though. Veighn by himself seemed to her like just half a person.

”If you so desire.”

”I do.” Topaz found Lucien's hand to slip hers into and then walked on over to Taneth and Veighn.

“Did ye call audience with these two, Taneth? I donnae recall doing so.” Veighn’s lips pursed to hide the frown as the two approached Taneth and himself in the audience.

“Good evening, Taneth. Lord Veighn isn't scaring you tonight, is he?” Topaz gave Taneth a friendly smile before she turned to Veighn. “Good evening, Lord Veighn. It's my pleasure to finally be able to introduce you to my mate, Lucien Datrazanov.”

“Lord Veighn.” Lucien’s gaze slid over the man briefly. He was less than impressed.

“Well met.” Veighn offered over a curt nod to the male he was introduced to. His observation of the male was not flattering, nor cordial, in the least.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“Taneth, you are lovely as ever.” Lucien turned to the young blond.

”He said he wants me to cry again, Topaz, but I do not think he meant it.” Taneth smiled prettily to Lucien then, “Hello, Topaz's Lucien!”

”Ye like everyone, Taneth.” Veighn remarked casually.

”Everyone is likeable.” Taneth hopped up from under Veighn's hands to open arms to Topaz for a hug.

“Lucien's right, you look great tonight.” Topaz embraced her in a warm hug.

“Thank you.” Taneth giggled. “I can still go to that dance you told me about, Topaz?”

”She denotes ownership.” Veighn’s gaze lifted from the top of Taneth's blonde head to Lucien again. “Are ye her pet?”

”Does one make pets of wild creatures?” Lucien turned a shark’s gaze on Veighn.

Cieara DeAuster slid from the shadows, having followed that personal thread and a curious drifting of emerald pale eyes drifted around with a faint arching of a brow. Continuing to track Veighn, she stepped inside and moved in a liquid glide towards him.

”Tell me, gnat. How does one enter the duels of magic?” He was making light conversation, so to speak. His cavalier attitude worn on his sleeve. “Nae... Ye have been banned Taneth. Ye may not go to the dance.”

”Shush!” Taneth waved her hand at Veighn as she sat back down.

”Of course you can, Taneth.” Topaz smiled to Taneth and returned to stand beside Lucien, seeking the shelter of his arm, slipping one of hers around the back of his waist. She was resolved to not respond to Veighn this evening unless he addressed her properly.

”Ahh.. Cieara.” Veighn spoke aloud as he saw her enter into his peripheral vision and he placed his hands onto Tara’s shoulders again.

“Ooh, I hope someone dances with me. I can wear a pretty dress?” Taneth sighed prettily.

“Good evening Taneth sweet.” Cieara came up behind the pair and offered a smile to Topaz and the man she was with before she eased her way up beside Veighn. One gloved hand rose to idly brush a wind tousled curl back behind a lightly tapered ear point. “Greetings to ye also Lady Topaz.”

”Hello, Cieara!” Taneth blew her a kiss then motioned to a table near to the couch. Come, everyone sit and relax. Topaz, how must the dresses be for this dance?” Then she turned to Koyliak. “And maybe I can buy a dress from your store, Koy.”

“Good evening, Cieara. It's such a pleasure to see you again.” Topaz smiled brightly to Cieara. “Please allow me to introduce you to my mate, Lucien Datrazanov.”

Lucien's black eyes studied the woman before he gave her a bow. “A pleasure lady.”

Topaz smiled happily between Cieara and Lucien. It was important to her that Lucien at least accepted her, though he liking her would be better.

”Oh yes, I have heard about ye, Milord.” Another smile curled upon rose frosted lips as a gloved hand was extended towards Lucien. “Is a lovely to finally meet ye Lord Lucien. Ye have a very lovely lady who be obviously smitten with ye.” Cieara’s emerald pale eyes carried a warm shimmering of easy humor.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“You are too kind Lady.” Lucien took the gloved hand briefly, almost but not quite brushing a kiss to her knuckles.

”I was just asking the resident gnat how one might get into the duels of magic. I thought I'd try this thing on for size, this contest of wills. What say ye, Cieara. Do ye think mine parlor tricks and cantrips are up to par?” Veighn’s brow arched.

”That is not her name, Veighn.” Taneth frowned at Veighn.

“Tha sounds like an 'xcellent idea, Taneth.” Koyliak agreed with Taneth’s suggestion.

“Aye, I think ye would likely do well, Ceisdein, once ye learn how such battles are run.” Cieara slid sideways glance to Veighn and she offered an amused chuckle after returning the bow to Lucien with a graceful incline of her auburn head.

”Don't encourage the blonde.” Veighn muttered to Koyliak even as he gave Taneth’s shoulder a sharp squeeze. “Did ye say something, sweetheart? Ah.. I thought not.” He gave her no room to respond.

”Ow!” Taneth winced and the side that her shoulder was squeezed on dipped down. “Stop being mean.”

“Since when is Taneth subjected to that?” Lucien leaned close to Topaz as he inquired quietly.

“I might be pregnant, bub, but I have no problem sluggin' ye a good one iffn ye squeeze my friend 'gain.” Koyliak looked up to Veighn.

”Ye muscles are knotted, sit still. I'm trying to work them out, and ye're making it more difficult by moving.” Veighn’s voice retained a heady, faux alluring tone.

”She's mine to squeeze as I please.” Veighn returned to Koyliak “And for regard to the child ye carry in ye womb, I would not advise ‘slugging’ anyone, namely, mineself.”

”She is not; Veighn just thinks she is, but she's too sweet to tell him otherwise.” Topaz replied to Lucien, just as softly and let him know what she had felt of Veighn’s emotions toward Taneth the night before. Now though, with the Outback as crowded as it was, her shields were kept strong to prevent any emotions of the people around to get to her. “She knows she can just leave, and so does he, I think. He seems to like her, though.”

Lucien nodded and stood up to his full height again.

“Tis always lovely to see ye about Sunshine. Do let her go for a moment Veighn, as I be wishing a hug.” Cieara drifted past Veighn she instantly opened her arms to Taneth with a warm smile gracing her pale lit features.

“Leave Koy alone. She is mine, not yours.” Taneth pinched Veighn’s finger of the hand still on her shoulder.

“I suppose I can allow this.” Veighn said to Cieara and lifted his hand from Taneth’s shoulder. “Aye Taneth. Ye may keep the stray. Just remember, ye are mine.”

“I am learning a lot just witching her.” Topaz observed Cieara with a smile.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

”Never can I be just anyone's, Veighn.” Taneth replied to Veighn and then was up and into Cieara’s arms for a hug.

”I am nae just anyone, Taneth.” With confidence he added, “Ye cannae know that, Taneth.”

”I know.” Taneth insisted.

Lucien lightly ran his fingers across the edge of Topaz's wing, making the wing vibrate ever so lightly in response to the touch and therefore sparkle. Topaz sent another warm smile up to Lucien. Then she turned her gaze toward Cieara again.

”We would love to see you and your mate on twilight isle. Casting spells in the rings there should very entertaining to the both of you.” Replying to Cieara’s comment was not the same as letting Veighn get away with his persistent disrespect.

Lucien regarded the male disdainfully.

”She has not the same love of the Arte as I.” Veighn addressed Topaz directly. “She is mine warrioress Lady.”

“Do not listen to him. He is mad that Tara made him lose last night.” Taneth settled back down by Koyliak.

“Do not lie to the bumpkin, Taneth.” Veighn chided with an aside to Taneth.

“It is not a lie.” Taneth shot back promptly.

”I love the art of spells as well as the art of conversing with the sentient magic.” Topaz said, rewarding Veighn’s restraint of using another insulting misnomer for her with a kind smile. Then she glanced up to Lucien, wondering if he would mention anything about warioresses

”I will mark ye soul the sin it has made, if ye insist on keeping up with this nonsense, Taneth.” Veighn scowled.

“You cannot.” Taneth frowned back.

“Oh?” Veighn’s brow piqued, leaning in at the waist. His hair curtained his features, draping forward of his shoulders as he peered down at Taneth.

”Oh I'm not worried 'bout 'em, Taneth. I'm jest amused tha he's standin' here in my buildin' actin' like he knows anythin' at all. And I'm jest tryin' not ta stand up and show 'em why I'm known fer my right cross.” Koyliak grinned and returned to watch her husband’s bout.

“Oh.” Taneth giggled to Koyliak and then blinked at Veighn.

“Tell ye charming, though grotesquely brawny female friend, should she care to have her labor prematurely induced, to come to the island where magics roam unchecked. We'll see then, how affective her ‘right cross’ is.” Veighn patted Taneth’s head even as he regarded Koyliak’s head with a leering stare.

Taneth nodded to Koy but did not say anything then she looked at Veighn. “Stop being mean, please.”

“He's coming to the Isle?” Lucien glanced to Topaz.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

”He has voiced an interest in becoming an apprentice.” Topaz grinned impishly.

“I am amazed that apprenticeship is good enough.” Lucien lifted a brow.

”Sometime after he forced me to introduce myself with the entire list of titles. He can be rather impish and child-like, just like fairies. Yesterday he was chasing sardine cans in cabinets and making glowing rocks dance.” Topaz giggled.

“Donnae worry. I shall allow a few to retain their prestige in a contest of magic against mineself.” Veighn’s smile was broad as he rose to his full height, eyeing the male, Lucien. With a snicker he added. “I'm only a minor cantrip weaver, tis all. Ye need nae fear... overmuch.”

“Right, don't believe a word of that. I've seen him do more.” Topaz chuckled. “He's so humble at times.”

”I am surprised such a minor cantrip handler can stoop to the Isle.” Lucien deadpanned/

”Of course he can, and he won't have to stoop. The portals huge, I'm sure he'll fit through without difficulties.” Topaz grinned. People with bigger egos had made it to Twilight Isle.

”Do you duel?” Taneth suddenly asked of Lucien.

“Only when there is somethin' of importance Taneth.” Lucien gave Taneth a smile.

“I leave for the isle, bumpkins, tarts, Taneth and mage pretenders. Should ye wish to pit ye knowledge of the arcane against mine, I would be most astonished, though overjoyed to give ye a run to see if ye luck holds out.” Veighn intoned silkily.

”Bye.” Taneth waved to Veighn. Lucien simply shook his head.

Veighn turned abruptly, robes flowing about his thighs and ankles. He then started for the door.

“Prey I donnae see ye again, wench.” Veighn shot to Koy as he passed behind the couch and toward the door. Then he paused, his head turned to his shoulder. “What have ye to fear of magic, woman? Is it that ye donnae have a mind for it?”

“I am oddly reminded of someone who came to the isle to with tendrils from the ground pull a helpless yet deserving male under ground.” Topaz smiled to Lucien.

“You compare me to such as that pompous halt breed?” Lucien asked with a shocked look at her.

”You are of course much easier to get along with, my Love. I admire Cieara for her endless patience.” Topaz smiled. Being reminded of something was not the same as comparing. “And you are definitely without equal. But he still reminds me off those early days. I'm sure he'd stick Cieara into one of those totally annoying bubbles, too, if he thought it wise.”

”Well, he may have one redeeming point then.”

”Exactly. I just absolutely adore Cieara.” Cieara was Veighn’s most redeeming quality, that and that he managed to retain the ability to enjoy himself like a child would for what must have been centuries, to Topaz’s way of thinking, anyway.

”I was referring to her mate, regrettably.” Lucien corrected.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

”Such courtesy she shows to friends... no?” Veighn lifted his gaze toward Topaz and Lucien, tapping his lips.

”Sleep... truly. There is no rest for the wicked.” Veighn said as he moved beneath the archway of the Outback, and headed toward the portals that would transport him to Twilight Isle.

”That one is trouble.” Lucien glanced down at his mate.

”Yes, and Cieara is his light, his manners and restraint. Do you see what I mean and why I feel this kinship? There are no other Carpathian couples around and they do come close, I think.”

”The man is insufferable and antagonistic.”

”Like most Carpathian males.” Topaz grinned. He experiences with those she had met, except Lucien of course, could not be termed positive.

“I am crushed.” Lucien mocked wounding.

Taneth giggled at Topaz and Lucien and Lucien gave her a wink of conspiracy.

”Topaz, what is a Carpathian?” Taneth asked, curious.

Lucien glanced at Taneth and then at Topaz, and then his obsidian gaze slid toward Taneth again. Topaz suddenly reached up to give Lucien a kiss. Lucien pulled her close for that kiss. When he pulled back he reminded Topaz softly. “Taneth wants to know what Carpathian's are.”

”People from a place called Auriga?” Topaz replied just as softly once she could speak again and then smiled over to Taneth.

“We are a special group of people from Auriga Taneth. Often misunderstood, but quite harmless most of the time.” Lucien explained with a quiet chuckle.

“Right, harmless as a newborn kitten.” Topaz grinned from Lucien to Taneth. “And very handy to have around. Well, not quite harmless... harmless to you and me, though, Taneth.”

“Why to us?” Taneth smiled back and nodded to Topaz and Lucien.

”Because we're nice. Only evil things should be worried.” Topaz explained.

”Because Topaz enjoys my protection, as do her friends.” Lucien added.

“What protection?” Taneth wanted to know.

”Protection from trouble makers.” Lucien gave Taneth a meaningful smile.

”How do you protect?” Taneth continued the questions with a curious tilt of her head. The flood gates of curiosity have opened. Topaz was curious to hear the answer to that question as well.

”Carpathians are guardians Taneth, guardians of many life forms, so my job is to see to it you are not harmed by the likes of what left here a few minutes ago.” When Taneth inquired if he’d also protect from bugs, Lucien explained, “Only if the bugs are directed by vampyre.”

”Bugs are scary.” Taneth was very serious about this.

”Perhaps scary, but not usually dangerous.”

”They can kill.”

”Some, but most are harmless enough.”

”Some are useful, like bees. They make sweet honey.” Topaz gave Lucien a sidelong glance of admiration.

”What bugs scare you Taneth? What creature of menace shall I keep a look out for?” Lucien asked in all seriousness.

”I have not seen them here yet.” Lucien's question, the way he said it, made Taneth giggle.

Lucien lifted a black brow at Taneth but Taneth was now taken up with congratulating Bran who had just won the tournament.

“We are staying?” Lucien gave Topaz a wink.

”If you so desire, my love.” Topaz smiled up to Lucien.

“I am going too!” Taneth hopped up and blew kisses as she hurried off to the door.

”I believe we have a sail boat waiting.” Lucien tempted.

”Oh! Sailing! I love sailing.” Topaz hugged Lucien exuberantly. “Is it waiting now? Can we go?”

”We may depart.”

Topaz waved around to everyone even as she smiled to Lucien. “Let us be off then, darling.”

Lucien scooped her up and they promptly faded from the visible spectrum.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Early Morning Coffee

Lucien had gone to sleep, like he did most mornings, and Topaz was accordingly miserable. With the thought that a cup of coffee in company may be preferable to moping around at home she set out for the inn.

The company to be had there was thin at this hour, though. A Minotaur was being set upon by a Kender and a lupine Woman was about to enter the kitchen to cook something horrible. Horrible to Topaz’s tastes that is, something without fruit, sugar or chocolate in it. The smell of cooking meat that wafted from kitchen didn’t agree with her in the least. In part to distract herself and in part out fae curiosity she listened to the conversation the Kender and the Minotaur were having while she prepared her coffee the way she liked it.

“I am a real gir--woman!”

"Oh for...” Topaz could guess the roll of the eye the Minotaur gave the Kender just from how annoyed and embarrassed he sounded. "Fine, if you say so."

Topaz grinned over to the odd pair and returned the Kender’s wave. The Minotaur, however, did not strike her as a person appreciating smiles and waves so he merely received a respectful but sober nod from her. He appeared to appreciate the consideration and gave a slight fraction of a nod as his head tipped toward her as he bounced the Kender on his knee.

“I do.” The Kender gave the Minotaur a sage and serious nod.

“I'm thirty four. I can't grow anymore! I'm all groaned!” The female Kender chirped and then squealed in delight at the bouncing, curtsey of the Minotaur who was doing his best not to laugh.

To judge by his facial expression, though, he was having some rather uncharitable thoughts now about the Kender that held on to his kilt, fur and knee. That gave Topaz an idea.

She reached into her pocket and pulled out a handful of coins and foil wrapped caramels and, picking out a few caramels, dumped the rest into the jar on the counter.

"Don't you have something to do?" The Minotaur addressed the Kender, his arms refolded over his chest as he began to slouch back within the seat and the lupine woman brought him a plate of stew. The Kender merely rolled over and found a good place to snuggle into the furry creature.

Topaz had a couple more sips of her coffee, breathing in the steam to cover the offending smell of the stew, and then set her coffee mug on the counter together with one of the pieces of caramel in favor of unwrapping the other of those caramels. Topaz plopped the unwrapped caramel into her mouth, then flattened out the shiny piece of foil it had been wrapped in. Then she ‘abandoned’ the piece of gold foil, setting it upon the stool next to her.

"Eventually." The Minotaur replied to the lupine woman that had interrupted her whiskey breakfast long enough to offer him a second bowl of stew with a skeptical glance to the snuggling Kender in his lap.

“Eventually? What do you do? More fighting?” But the Kender had seen the foil glinting ever so temptingly from the stool by the bar. Up she rolled again to peer with squinty eyes at it to see what it was the shimmered so

"Fighting? I told you, I have had no offers as of late. No, something more mundane." The Minotaur gave a shrug of his shoulders.

”That's not so bad all the time, is it? Isn't a break good?” The piece of foil was shiny and therefore she had to go over there to investigate. She got down from the Minotaur’s knee with a paper pancake flop, and then slithered down a leg until her feet found the ground proper. Then she trundled over toward the sparkle-shimmer-shine left on the stool.

Topaz idly sips more coffee, and wasn't watching the abandoned treasure at all. She was doing less than watching the piece of foil; she slid off her stool and headed over to the couch by the hearth, leaving the other caramel sitting on the counter.

”Doesn't pay as well. My funds no be limitless like everyone else around here. I do get my hands dirty." The Minotaur grunted slightly as the female Kender clambered away and off his knee and emitted a sigh of relief as he rubbed a hand over his leg and re-adjusted the hem of kilt.

“Goooood mooorning!” The Kender offered cheery as she passed Topaz on her nonchalant weave through chairs and tables that were about the same height as her. Then she began to whistle, badly so.

“Good morning again.” Topaz returned with a friendly smile and then sat down on the couch to watch from there.

A small hand untangled itself and waved happily and perhaps a bit too much toward Topaz. Then the female Kender was sideway-shuffle-crab-walking toward candy wrapper. She turned quickly to try and loom over her newest treasure.

The little woman had new treasure and the Minotaur had a few minutes' respite. Topaz sipped from her coffee mug with a pleased smile. There was only so much she could do when no one was actively wishing for anything.

The Kender pretty much had her wish this morning in hand. She lifted up the piece of gold foil after a long few moments of reverent gazing to hold it up to the light. Walking like one in a dream, she twisted the foil candy cover this way and that just to see how it looked in the morning sun.

A few more swallows of coffee and then the oversized mug was empty again. Topaz gave the mug a somewhat surprised look.

The Kender preoccupied with the new treasure, the Minotaur took it as an opportune time to make his escape. He rose and stretched out limbs as the chair issued a groan of relief as the heavy bulk eased away.

"Stay out of trouble, Wench." He grunted to the Kender before he made for the front door.

“What? Of course! I always stay out of trouble. Trouble just finds me you know.” The Kender replied rather preoccupied. She looked a little lost though when she realized that her cuddly Minotaur was leaving.

Topaz rose from the couch and took the empty mug over to behind the bar and by the sink, 'thinking' it clean along the way. Then she waved to the two women and made her way to the door, fading from the visible spectrum before she quite reached the door.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Star Wanderer

Topaz had gone ahead to the Isle in case any patrons would come early to look for duels. She was still quite by herself, apart from a few green little goblins milling about, sipping coffee, when Lucien caught up with her.

A soft fall of plumeria petals cascaded around her as she turned to smile to Lucien who had faded into the visible spectrum behind her.

“Good rising my dear.” His black eyes swept over her like a physical caress.

“Good rising to you, my love.” She growled softly to him in appreciation, inhaling the sweet fragrance.

“It would appear to be a slow evening tonight.” Not that such would trouble him from the standpoint of the fewer people the happier he was, but he knew she wanted a good showing.

“A very slow one so far.” While Topaz had been bored just a moment earlier, now she did not mind the quiet of the absence of duelers any more. “We have the entire isle to ourselves just now.”

“Perhaps this would be a good time to share my present with you.” Lucien’s black eyes scanned the isle.

“You have a present?” Topaz was immediately curious. It didn’t make any difference if someone had given him a present he meant to share or if he was about to give her one.

“Just a small one.” But there was mirth playing at the corners of his lips.

“A small one?” She asked with a searching look. “Where are you hiding it?”

Lucien grinned and held still as she poked through his pockets in search of something small. Inside a pocket of his black jacket she found a small holographic image base made of some kind of material she'd never seen before.

“Oh, what is this?” She pulled out the disc and turned it this way and that, trying to figure out what it was. “A game played with sticks on ice?”

“No, not at all. If you sit it on the table and touch there.” Lucien indicated a small touch pad on the side of the base. “You will activate it.” He was enjoying her obvious enthusiasm.

A couple of the green little goblins immediately started to push and pull a tale over to the caller’s couch.

“This one?” But she was not waiting for confirmation before she taped on the pad. ”What does it - Oh!”

“Yes, just lightly touch it.” Lucien nodded even as the image of a chromium hulled space vehicle materialized, but due to the angle she was holding the base, it was upside down.

“Will it be under the table once I set it down?” Topaz held the base up for easier studying of the image beneath and then glanced to the table the goblins had brought over. Then she waved to Bran with her free hand, who had chosen that moment to come down from his tower.

“No, turn it right side up.” Lucien chuckled and gave the Keeper of Fire a nod.

Bran returned the greetings with a friendly “Hello” and then continued on to the bar and found a seat there.

“It's a statue of a star ship!” Topaz had turned over the base and now it was easy to see what the three dimensional image depicted. She set the base on the table and gazed upon the starship.

“Yes, it arrived today. We do not have to wait for the Dragon to be available.” He hadn't expected her to think that the hologram was the only gift, but her next words confirmed his initial suspicions.

“It is adorable! We can set in the mantle in the bedroom. It should inspire dreams of traveling among the stars.” Topaz turned to hug and thoroughly kiss Lucien to properly thank him for the present. Lucien pulled her close for that kiss. When she pulled her head away again it occurred to her that the association of a star ship image and a Dragon made no sense. “What dragon?”

“Ooh, dragons?” Evredd the Gerth looked over at the mention of a Dragon. Topaz had quite missed him stepping from the portal. His long, pointy ears were sticking straight up, and the child-like eyes set in a green tinged face took in everyone quickly.

“I love dragons! They are so fun to ride!” The Gerth’s ears twitched and Lucien turned black shark's eyes on Evredd. Evredd waved back enthusiastically. However Lucien's glance was anything but friendly as he too vividly recalled Tormay and his taking his daughter for such a ride.

Fluff dove from the portal then and rolled to her feet, and then bowed to an imaginary audience. She was full of energy today, it seemed, with her tail flicking and the bell attached ringing. She walked towards the rings, sending the goblins off to procure some impossible drink just to get them out of her way before she bounced to her hands and started walking that way for a little bit.

"Good evening everyone!" She called as she hand walked.

“Well, that is only the representation. The real ship is berthed at Star's End. That is your image of our own star vessel.” Lucien waited for his words to register with her, despite the growing group of people now invading the isle.

“Good evening and welcome to Twilight Isle.” Topaz waved to her and the Gerth before she turned to Lucien again, her eyes twinkling with excitement. “What? I have a star vessel? Really? Where is it? When can I see it?”

“It is berthed next to the Star Dragon's berth at Star's End. We may go when ever you like.” If she were not so tied to this Isle, he supsected they would already be well on their way to Star's End. But perhaps the torment to her curiosity would be worth telling her now when she could not race off to the new vessel.

“Right after my shift?” Topaz was eager to have a look at the real thing and perhaps get to take it out for a test spin. She would tease Lucien, too, about his idea of what a little gift was and what might not be. “What is it called?”

“Certainly.” He grinned at her. “Star Wanderer. It is not designed for very long flights, but it will get us to Auriga and vicinity quite acceptably.”

“Oh. I have a star ship and we'll go take it for a test run. Star Wanderer for star wandering. I love it!” Topaz couldn’t sit still and just had to get up. She took Lucien's hands into hers and danced around until Lucien pointed out that there were duelers awaiting ring assignments.

“We can go to Auriga?” Topaz asked with a very bright smile once the duelers were set up with rings. “I finally get to see your home? When can we do that?”

“Yes, we have been trying to go, but it does not appear that the Dragon will be available any time soon. We may go when you desire.” His assurance was given promptly since he knew she'd been
wanting to head for his homeworld, but the Dragon simply hadn't been available.

“You are absolutely most wonderful.” Topaz wrapped her arms around Lucien again and squeezed him tightly. Of course she wanted to head out right away, but they had responsibilities and could not be off this very minute. She planned on enjoying every moment of looking forward to the trip and getting to explore the place he grew up in, though, just in case that it turned out as welcoming and friendly as those of his people she had met so far.

Lucien sent a nod of greeting over to Rena, alerting Topaz to the fact that her friend had arrived, but for the moment Topaz was quite distracted with demands of duelers for more rings to combat each other in and with keeping an eye on the duel already in progress.

“Until later my dear.” Lucien leaned down to place a kiss on Topaz's lips before fading from the visible spectrum.

“Until later my love.” Topaz would hurry over to Star’s End just as soon as she could.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Plans

Topaz had been distracted ever since Lucien and she had taken the Star Wanderer for a test spin. As star ships went, especially in comparison to those Topaz had seen up close so far, it was fairly small. But this one was all hers and Lucien had given it to her, so no other ship could hope to excite her quite like this one. But the distraction was less due to the ship itself, but to the planning and excitement of their trip to Auriga.

She thought the isle and perhaps a duel there would take her mind off those plans and uncertainties for a while. But once she got there, instead of looking for an opponent, she sat on the couch and did some more wool gathering. It even took a few minutes to realize that not only had Lucien come closer to the isle, but he was already there. She jumped off the couch then and ran over to him to wrap her arms around him with a wide and happy smile.

“You were distracted my dear.” Lucien chuckled deeply as he wrapped his arms around her. He had enjoyed simply watching her rather than letting her know he was there.

“I was. And now you get to distract me.” She admitted freely and then pulled his head down to hers. Lucien pulled her close for that kiss. When she could talk again she added with an excited sparkle to her eyes. “I was thinking about our planned trip.”

“Have you? What have you come up with?” He adored her enthusiasm for her new toy.

“Nothing really.” She chuckled softly. “Memories are good for looking into the past, but they say nothing about what to expect now or next week. When would be a good time for us to go?”

”We can leave when ever you like.” Taking her there would assure that they had few crowds and all the time they wanted.

“You say that so easily. There's packing to be done and Sylviana has this army of teddy bears, and I've to arrange things here so I can be gone for a while.” Sylviana was not inclined to leave anything behind, thinking of the trip more as more of a move.

“I have been there. It makes little difference to me. And the army of teddy bears is not going.” Lucien gave her a grin. He didn't know why she needed to pack anything when they could simple create it as it was needed.

”You tell her that.” Topaz grinned back.

”Nothing to it.” Lucien winked at her.

”Sure, just a little fit and tears and pouts and bribery and cuteness.” Topaz chuckled softly. Their little girl had learned quite a few tricks already to try and exert her will.

”A very simple explanation that there is no room for the bears.” He knew of course that his daughter could be willful, but there was no room for the teddy bears.

”What about Puppy?” There was another being to consider, and Puppy wasn't a puppy anymore. Topaz hoped that telling Sylviana she could bring her dog along would make her miss that teddy bear collection less.

”The dog will enjoy the forests of Auriga.” Lucien would explain it all to the dog and he would enjoy the adventure.

”He will be okay with the traveling?” Not all creatures took well to being cooped up in a small space for a lengthy trip. Topaz wasn’t at all sure how she would take to that, but she was looking forward to seeing Auriga. The dog did not have such a desire to help him through the trip itself.

”Yes, we only have to communicate with him.”

”How long shall we be gone?” Topaz would have to make arrangements for the Isle and the Beacon so everything could continue to run smoothly while she was away.

”At least fourteen days common time.”

”Maybe Azjah can give us one of those gadgets that would allow me to officiate my shift from there?” Such a tool would come in handy for other communications as well, should the need arise.

”The holographic projector? I am certain that could be arranged.”

“Maybe looking like a ghost I can scare some people.” Topaz giggled, already liking the idea. There were a few beings she knew that she considered in desperate need of a little scare in good fun.

”You may desire to attempt to scare people my dear, but I do not think you can, you are far too lovely.”

”You are biased.” His compliment went through her like a caress and she gave him another kiss. “I can think of a few people that are scared of fairies, a ghost fairy should be even scarier.”

“If they fear you, I would put them in their grave.” Lucien lifted a brow at her and partially shifted into a great wolf.

“You just might.” Topaz chuckled softly. While she thought that Cieara’s mate was scared of fairies, she doubted that a wolf would scare him.

Lucien shifted back into human form with a teasing wink and pulled Topaz close again. “I must go for now, I shall see you at home.” He faded from the visible spectrum then, leaving behind a fall of jasmine and the feeling of his arms still around her.

Topaz picked up a few of the blooms and affixed them to her hair. She’d be on her way home as soon as Lucien was done hunting.

Return to “Atrebla”