Dexter Montoya

Tales from the Atreblan Valley

Moderator: Michelle Montoya

Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

"Jyke, what kind of training were you thinking of?" Tiny asked of him.

"To be honest, M'lady, I know nothing of this Arena. What is it you train?"

"l do not train personally," she answered with a smile, "but there are some excelent teachers in Atrebla. You wish to learn the way of the sword then?"

"I have long lived with Nature, letting Providence take me where it wills. A sword isn't fitting for me," he explained as he indicated his staff. "Or if you know a professor of Earth Magics, I have long been desirous of possessing such knowledge."

Tiny thought for a moment. "I do know some that are able to teach spells and their use." She watched Dex as he returned and began to examine Jyke's staff.

Its owner was just expressing his gratitude for her help when Dex tossed the staff into the air. Revealing himself as an adept in the field of Magic, he cast out a mighty mage bolt to take it out of the sky. It burst into flames midair and fall in smoldering pieces to the ground. Jyke looked in awe at Dex.

"I have spent too much time in seclusion." he chuckled slightly.

"I feel better now," Dex said as he turned and smiled slightly. Then he returned to the the subject most pressing on his mind. "So you say my wife's family is safe?"

"Yes, M'lord. Your wife's family is in good health, it seemed, despite the misfortune."

"And Atrebla?"

"The valley?" Jyke queried. "Atrebla seems well, though it is shaken by the occurances at Krondor."

"The invaders," Dex pressed, "are they still there, or gone?"

"If they remained, they did not show themselves. I assume I would not exist here had they seen me."

As Dex looked away, Sher broke in to ask a question.

"Will you be staying in RhyDin for awhile?"

Jyke looked to her, breaking his contemplative stare. "I cannot tell you for certain. Wherever my training lies, that is where I'll go, and stay."

"Will he be staying at the School?" she asked of Dex.

"I see no problem with that," he answered. "But I do not have the final say."

"Maybe you could find a rooming house here in town," Sher offered. "Until it is finalized where you will be trained."

Then Dex added, "Jyke you are welcome to rest this eve in the sword-master’s quarters as he is not home at this time. Please make yourself available late tomorrow and we will arrangements for a missive to be with you concerning the training regimine."

"Thank you, m'lord."

"Will that do?"

Jyke chuckled slightly. "Well, someone will have to show me there. I'm afraid I know not the ways of and around this place. But, yes. That will do quite well. Many thanks, m'lord."

With that, they parted company for the evening. Eaqch with a great deal more to think on than had been theirs before they met the other.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

As laid to paper by the hand of the Scribe,
Dundale

Before Ann could respond a huge thundering was heard down the mountainside. The deafening roar speaking of danger nearby. The landslide up ahead from the loose mud from the rain in the mountains causing the trail to be buried under tons of rock. Carefully walking ahead Dex and Jyke scouted out the area returning in a brief half hour.

<Dex> Its as we feared Ann, Impassable. I will return to RhyDIn using the newest transport spell to sek manpower or guidance from the other Mages on how to remove the rocks.

<Ann> Hurry, This is a bad omen i fear for my parent’s safety.

<Dex> Jyke, Please watch over and guard my wife with your life. I need to be assured she is safe.

Muttering a brief chant under his breathe he disappears from the high mountain trail.

"Be careful," he whispers as he watches the brave warrior set out before him on the path to their fate.

His jaw flexes, gazing ponderously to the gorge, his knuckles white from the grip on his staff. He knows that it's going to be dangerous... in the 200 years of life of this existence, he had been put into danger more times than he could remember, so it is not death that he fears. Rather, he fears leaving behind all that he has to live for now. He has friends now... a family... a warmth which he had never felt before, save the few times his old
master patted him on his juvenile head by the fireside in that old cottage in the wood. He lets out a small, almost inaudible sigh as he thinks about where he would be if it weren't for the fate and happenstance that brought him here: wandering through the woods, lonely and confused.

All this in a split second of thought... with a shake to bring him back to reality, he cordially moves closer to Ann, watching protectively over the area, taking the words, "guard my wife with your life," to their utmost effect. :: returning early the next morning Dex arrives to
see them cleaning camp and enjoying breakfast.

"Good morning! How did you sleep last night?" Walking up to Ann to give her a big hug.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Ann welcomed her husband. Grateful to be within his arms, she turned her eyes up into the brown of his. "Were you able to get help?" she asked. Jyke, who had been gripping his staff tightly, loosened his hold upon seeing Dex. He stepped toward the embracing couple.

"There is too much going on in the Arena at this point." Dex answered. "No one was available. No one was free." Ann lay her head against Dex's chest. She knew he was tired and had been spent with disappointment. Jyke let out a heavied breath. "How shall we get past the landslide, then?"

"Either a long hard work session or magic." The note in Dex's response leaped out with a splay of hope.

"Works for me." Jyke conceded.

"My only thought is to get Topaz's help. Mayhaps I could summon her." Dex released his arms from around his wife. He pulled out a tiny black Tome. The fairy had given the Tome to him a while back.

Jyke turned silent with eyes of study. He watched Dex flip through the pages in the Tome.

"I am so used to spells of combat." Dex sighed.

Jyke nodded.

"A huk la it bayou." Dex recited the words his eyes had landed on and then looked up in expectation. Nothing happened.

"Nothing...nothing...." he said. He tapped the page with a signal of frustration. Ann layed a hand over Dex's shoulder. "Dear, I don't think you said that right. Try again?" She let out a chuckle. She glanced over to Jyke. His expression was filled with the shadow of intrique. He remained silent. Her chuckle grew into a hopeful shrug.

"A luk ha in bouya." Dex chanted.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

The air seemed to take on a lighter weight and a diminutive blanche of light ignited. The spark developed into a shimmer leaving the caress of tingle against the flesh. Topaz appeared. Along with her came the rendition of marvel. Softly, she murmured, "What?.."

Dex's frustration vanished immediately and he bellowed out a delirious chuckle. "It worked!"

Contaminated by his happy demeanor, the rest of them could not help but harness a beam. They released jovial laughter, then greeted Topaz. She returned the merry salutations. Her grin slid toward Dex. She put a quill away in her skirt pocket. "Practicing?"

Before Dex could answer her, the air hummed with a second doze of energy. A second shimmer and a spark gathered.

"Oh...oh." Dex said, his eyes widening. The wind lifted and swirled about them. Dying down, it dropped Joby, the wizard into presence. He fell to the ground. All eyes upon him blinked in unison.

"Ooops , two for the price of one I suppose." Dex humored. "I need more practice obviously."

"Aye, it looks like it." said Tiny.

Everyone tittered a response through either a chuckle or a smile, except Joby whose wide-open eyes were unfocused and his pupils dilated. He was just a tad dumbfounded. He stood up and dusted himself off. "Well I wonder what I am doing here?.."

Jyke cocked his head like the curiosity beset in a parrot's action when someone is sounding out words for the bird to repeat. He was fascinated with the current events of the moment.

At last, Dex rendered an explanation, shifting his eye sight back and forth between Tiny and Joby. "We are trying to determine what to do about this landslide that impedes our journey." Both Tiny and the wizard followed Dex’s glance toward the rubble. Dex’s eyes shifted. He could not help but notice the deep blue glow that emanated from Jyke’s hands. "I had intended on just a mind link with Tiny but it seems I summoned you completely." He said, silently keeping a vigil on the new developing emanation.

"Have you already figured out how far this goes?" questioned Tiny.

"Far enough to block us from getting to Ann's parents." Dex glanced at his wife. She rubbed her arms as if chilled. It was amazing how she had managed to keep herself together in such a time of distress. Ann cleared her throat and directioned her comment to Topaz. "We know why we haven't heard anything from the highlands. This passage has made communication impossible."

Tiny compassioned a nod. "I am sorry, Ann. You must be very worried. I will try to do all I can to help." She turned to Dex. " I must be back by night fall. Any hopes of getting this out of the way with conventional means?"

Jyke spoke up out of his own thoughts. "I scouted through the night looking for passage, or an easier way through but found none."

"Tiny, I approached some work crews in RhyDin but the rebuilding of Questrion has them all contracted out right now." said Dex.

"A terrible war there." added Tiny. Quietly, she wondered if levitation could be utilized. She wondered if she could make them all fly.

"Joby, Do you have any thoughts on how to get past this blockade?" Dex turned to face the wizard. Dex blinked. Joby’s whole body was a vivid bright blue, the same color as he had seen gathering around Jyke’s hands. "Are you allright, Joby?" he whispered.

If Tiny and Ann noticed the blue color they gave no indication of it. Their attention was given to Jyke who rolled his shoulders. Obviously, he was working out the tension he felt there. He closed his eyes, flexed his neck down and continued his exercise. "I think you all should know... as I was scouting, I saw a slight glow from beyond the rocks. I know not what it was, or is, but it was scintillating and quite bright."

"What kind of glow, Jyke?" , asked Tiny, staring at the top of his head. .

Hairs in the back of Dex's neck stiffened. He did not like the uncanny feeling developing in the pit of his stomach. He still held the Tome in his hand as if testing its weight. Actually he was ransacking his thought for ideas to overcome the arduous path he saw ahead. Joby seemed to abandon them as his mind went racing with thoughts. He stared off, exuding a distant far away look, then coursed in with the same tone, "This place is full of some kind of magic, probably why a simple mind-link turned into a double transport spell."

"Jyke.." Dex gently elbowed him at the same time as he called out his name; his eyes fixedly on Joby. Jyke lifted his head from the flexing. Dex pointed to Joby and the women turned their gaze in Joby's direction. "That blue?" asked Dex. Jyke glanced upon Joby but apparently did not think so much of the blue color forming. "Nay... a reddish. Almost like the light of a fire as it rustles in the wind, but there was something mystical and eerie about it. And besides, I heard nothing but the wind." He answered.

"Watch, I will cast a simple candle spell." Joby announced.

They all watched cautiously. The wizard lifted his arms. His fingers moved with calculated thought. A section of mountain exploded into a fiery conflagration. They all blinked, then shielded their eyes from the intensity.

"Quite the disturbance in the mana." Dex said, reopening his eyes.

"Hmmm, definitely more than one candle." Tiny said.

"I suppose using nether ray would be ill advised here." Dex mused.

Tiny and Ann grinned at Dex, detecting a small bit of the humorous note.

"Very ill advised." Tiny said. She shifted weight to her other foot.

"This will make the problem far more challenging with forces of mana in flux." Dex said more seriously, as he concentrated on the brightness ahead.

"And magically displacing a rock, will most likely cause another land slide." Tiny contributed.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

"Look!!!!! Everyone is turning this blue color!" Jyke said, loudly.

Dex looked down at himself and then over to his wife. Her reddish hair looked strange. The rocks and the soil around them emitted the blue color as well.

Topaz curved up a smile. "Good thing l like blue."

"Yes, the mana flux is probably the reason this happened." Joby said, punchingly.

"We have a mysterious red glow in the hills, we are turning blue and mana is fluxing to the extreme. This is NOT GOOD." Dex's voice rose.

"Dex, it might be a good idea to go back, study maps, … and try again later once you found another way to reach Krondor." Tiny suggested.

Jyke frowned slightly. "Do we have time for that?"

Ann's eyes began to water. She tried to control the emotions that erupted inside her being. As she listened to the planning, a single tear made way down her cheek. She turned and discreetly wiped it, so that none of them noticed.

"I dare not use magic when I have just been learning new spells and all is in flux." said Dex.

"l cannot use magic...in this condition." Topaz’s arms went up beside her. The bluish color burst and crackled, even buzzed around her.

"Should we travel back the old fashion way?" asked Dex.

"Guess we do not have a choice." answered Topaz, hopelessly letting her arms fall back down to the sides of her waist.

"Agreed." said Dex. He put the Tome away.

".....at least until we are far enough away to make the use of magic safe." Topaz finished.

Dex turned to comfort his wife but was interrupted by the sudden flash that came from somewhere on the mountain.

"Let's pack up." Dex said, urgently.

Ann began walking ahead toward the camp. Dex glanced toward his wife. He felt a twinge of pain pull at him. He knew how she felt. He felt it, too. He set his hand on Jyke's arm. "Jyke, take Ann back down the path while we pack up."

Jyke gave a quick nod. Ann stopped and glanced her head back over her shoulder. She bestowed a slight smile; a hopeful one.

"Ann, go with him. We will follow shortly." he whispered. She took in a breath and drew in a nourishment of faith. Jyke moved up beside Ann and held out his arm. "Shall we M'lady?" She took hold of his arm and nodded.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Nestled in the mountains appeared a portal like appearance. Dex caught the flash of its appearance from the corner of his eyes.

"There must be another way. We just have to find it." Topaz whispered. And just as soon as the words were said, she ducked as more flashing showered into an almost blinding white. The portal came into full profile.

"Look!" shouted Dex.

"I wonder where that will take us?" exclaimed Tiny.

Jyke and Ann were frozen in their step. Jyke attempted to move his feet, but no matter how hard he tried he simply could not budge a movement. Something held them bound.

"This is really not good." Said Dex, who was only beginning to feel the same effects..

"Is it to Atrebla or to Krondor?", questioned Tiny, still gazing at the portal.

"Topaz, this portal, does not have the same flux as the others." continued Dex, leveling his sight over toward the portal.

"I think you are right." She sighed.

"Something is pulling at me hard." Said Joby. He pivoted his feet into the ground digging in to restrain against the pull.

Jyke struggled to remain in place, but the pull was magnetic and strong. Protectively, he grasped Ann's shoulders, trying to keep her braced.

"Should I send a mage bolt at it and we run?" asked Dex.

"That would be disaster, I think.?" said Joby.

"Try something less powerful." added Tiny. "A mage-bolt might blow us home in bits and pieces."

Dex thought. An idea whirled.

"Foul fog…yes" He then shook his head. "but we would stink."

"Sounds good to me." Tiny flipped up her fingers and held her nose.

"But it might disrupt the flux." said Dex.

Jyke grabbed Ann with both hands. He was forced to let go of his staff which flew toward the portal.

"Better that then in pieces." said Tiny, her voice becoming more rushed.

"Tiny, you cast as well" , said Dex.

She nodded and concentrated on the spell. They both raised their arms and began to cast. A greenish cloud started building from their hands. Suddenly it whisked out in a thick-like stream appearance and hovered toward the portal. Topaz’s slightly smaller cloud caught up with Dex’s and became mingled.

Jyke watched in disappointment as his beloved staff flew into through the green cloud. Then, the cloud solidified.

"Ack." Said Dex, dismay lining his voice. "It’s solid now."

"At least we can move…". Tiny grabbed up some things and ran toward Ann and Jyke.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

"I have an idea. I will cast a thunder bolt into the portal and that may cancel out the energy." said Joby.

"Do it." ordered Dex.

"Come on. Dex." called a waiting Topaz.

A blinding bolt of light circulated Joby’s hands. It shot out striking the portal.

Jyke had given up on fighting the pull, but when he saw Topaz approach, he realized his own ability to move freely. He took hold of Ann and guided her down the path.

Reaching the lower ground, Tiny stopped to catch her breath. Dex came to a halt, too. Everyone had dusty and dirty faces.

"Whew!" sighed Dex.

"The magnetic pull has definitely and completely stopped." said Joby. He was not far behind them.

"I think we need to report this to the rest of the Guild." said Dex.

Topaz nodded. "This passage is not at all safe."

"I don’t think we should wait here." said Dex.

"You mean we have to go further?" asked Topaz. She glanced toward Ann.

"What could have happened to it?" pondered Jyke in his own world of thought.

"I shall attempt to displace to the Beacon and we can get some food from Jo." said Dex.

Joby pulled out an object. It was his wooden mechanical calendar. The lines on the wizard’s face creased with deep worry.

A second later, the five of them stood in front of the Beacon’s Tavern.

"There!" said Dex.

"It worked Dex!" said Ann, running into his arms.

They all turned just in time to see Jo Hatsumi about to enter the tavern. He bowed before them.

"Jo! Hello!" said Jyke.

"Happy to be here at the Beacons Tavern." Said Dex.

"Oh Jo, how happy I am to see you" cried Ann. She hugged the cook.

"Jo you have no idea how glad we are to see you." said Dex.

"Hey everyone, I've just figured out that four days have passed since we've been up in the mountains." Joby broke in with a turned up grin. He layed his hand on Jo’s shoulder. "Good to see you."

"Four days?" questioned a puzzled Jyke.

"What four days?" questioned Dex.

"How? What?" The questions poured out.

"Obviously, it affected time, too." said Joby.

"B-b- but,…"Jyke stuttered lightly, " How did you come to this conclusion?

Jo Hatsumi stared at all of them in wonderment, not knowing what to think.

Although he did not appeared overly phazed, he was mystified. "Jo, how long since you last saw me?”, asked Tiny. "M'Lady, last night at the Duels." He answered.

"Last night? Are you sure, Jo?" Topaz asked, her eyes following Jo’s back as he opened the tavern door.

"Yes, M’lady." The group followed him down the hall.

Dex settled an arm around his wife as they followed behind Topaz and Jo.

"Are you okay?" he asked her.

"The children. Are …they okay?" Quietly, she retreated into a chair in the corner as they entered the kitchen. "I am sure they are." He answered, placing a kiss on her forehead and moving toward the table. "Khrysta has them."

Tiny surfaced a smile. "Aye, they are fine. Glen made Brian play house with her."

Instinctively, Jo Hatsumi went to the stove. He set the stew in the kettle to reheat and picked up a fresh pot of brew. "Coffee anybody?"

No one answered him except Topaz. She picked up a cup and sat it on the table, where she also took up a chair. "Yes, please Jo."

The cook was quick to fill her cup and subserviently went back to the simmering noise from the kettle. Silently, he stirred and listened.

"I have a timer that keeps time...it is magical calender...it stopped four days ago." said Joby.

Jyke swallowed hard as he took up a space beside Ann. He buried his head into slightly trembling hands.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

"Okay, tea, coffee, or …." Jo looked toward Dex. "…Lime juice?"

"This is very strange." Dex nodded to Jo indicating lime juice and turned to Tiny. "You were further away then Joby was. Could the proximity to the phenomenon be a factor?" He turned back to Joby. "What do you think Joby?"

"I see now! I was transported four days from the past." Joby reveled up as if hit suddenly hit. He pulled up a chair and sat across from Dex.

"Right." answered Dex, "That was very weird, a mental summons. Two… and from different time frames no less. That portal was a temporal rift...entering it would cause you to go four days into the past."

"You got Joby to come there after l was already there." Tiny lifted her cup to her lips. "l don't even want to know what might have happened, had we stayed there any longer." She shuddered as she took a sip. Dex glanced to his wife, then back to Tiny.

" Shhsss. Tiny, dont worry Ann" He whispered.

Tiny shifted her eyes toward Ann and gave him an apologetic nod.

"Your staff should be around here Dex." said Joby.

"My staff? Oh I think it was Jyke’s that got grabbed."
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Everyone swayed with thought toward Jyke for a moment, who beheld a blank look. His hands were trembling slightly.

"Oh, yes... I'll go back and get Jyke’s staff." announced Joby and he disappeared within the blink of an eye. Finally, Jyke turned his head up at the sound of his name. The "Hm?" that throated up was barely audible, so none really heard it. Everyone seemed to calm down into a more dreamy like gaze; a simmering down to match the coffee that announced it's readiness. Jo Hatsumi poured out several large strong coffees and added honey to them.

"I think I should get Ann to bed." Dex said wearily. Jo handed him a glass of lime juice.

Joby reappeared. Dex looked toward the Portal of the winds.

Tiny cupped her hands around the coffee mug warming them against the heat. She smiled appreciatively to Jo.

"Hey everyone!" said Joby, his voice and presence suddenly interrupting the calmness.

Jyke came out of his thoughts. "I must speak with you sometime alone." He whispered to Dex.

Jo Hatsumi set a bowl of Stew down in front of Tiny.

"Thank you, Jo. " she responded. Again, the atmosphere of the scenario turned quiet with only the deception of a warm kitchen and contented customers. Tiny began to eat the stew while Jo placed bowls of stew in front of the others.

"Thanks Jo" nodded Joby.

Jo Hatsumi wandered back to the Kitchen to check the rolls in the oven. And as if it were the cook’s nature to bring a calmness to all, as soon as he disappeared, the day’s event lingered back into conversation.

As Joby lifted his fork to eat the stew, he looked toward Jyke. "There something wrong, Jyke?"

"No…Thanks for asking." Jo answered, but then his face paled.

"I should go back to my quarters." Jo stammered, still possessing a slight tremble to his hands. "I…I’m not sure."

"What's wrong, something happen?" pressed Joby.

Jyke swallowed. "I can't be sure, Joby... that's what I need to find out."

"I saw everyone, and someone that looked like me, out by the landslide. Was everyone out there?" asked Joby.

Jyke shot up from his seat. He quickly walked toward the exit, obviously shaken up about something. "Good day, everyone." He was gone before anyone could question him more.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Afraid to go back to the place without adequate preparation Ann, Dex and the girls stayed at home concerned but trying to move on with there lives. The incident with Topaz took Dex away from home during her absence and even distanced Dex further from his family. After her return Dex realized where his priorities must lie and began to spend more time away from Rhydin and at home in Atrebla.

Runs through the forest seemed to alleviate his stresses and he was starting to regain a sense of self. Perhaps that was why the last few tournaments had gone so well for him. No longer over-dueling he came rested. A strong showing in the previous Archmage tournament where he went to the final match, and at DQ the semi finals seemed to bring Dex satisfaction he was doing the right thing. Then just last night he found himself winning the Opal tournament in the Outback. It was only 4 of them and he wanted there to be no question as to his right to hold the Opal so he asked Tarl to challenge him. This time Tarl as the second place holder in the tournament was hot and took both matches handidly. Smiling to himself Dex realized he now was likely the first person to actually hold title in all three venues, with a small snicker he set a second record last night as the shortest title holder in all of the rings. He held the Opal less than one hour, something likely to never be beaten. Even with all that Dex sensed things, for a time, were right in his universe.

Sitting in his manor alone one night Dex looked out the window, he had not being feeling well but things were coming around. He smiled thinking of Khrysta's wedding and the mountain scene he had his daughter do for them. He chuckled realizing that he told them an artisan had done it and noone knew the difference. Micheele was a creative genious, he looked at he works she had done for him. Truly amazed at one so youngs talent. He thought about how he could help her realize her potential and knew he had not the skill. Who could teach her with trying to exploit the girl.

Perhaps Keirin or Devarrah could take her under the watchful eyes. Both could be trusted.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

His mind began to slip on to other thoughts ... how did he really feel about Dal, was he ready to challenge again?, did he still have the skill?, it really didn’t matter as he lacked 4 names on the piece of paper he carried crumpled in his pocket. That paper would be one he would hold in his hand as he went into the ring. The thought of Ellisa's challenge in his mind demonstrated the fickle fate of dueling.

He thought of his wife’s family, and their fate, the fact they had failed to get there had made it no less mindful. Turmoil in feelings caused him to feel uneasy and he sought to practice the magics which would be needed to get to the highlands and with that he went to twilight isle and stepped into the ring for the first non - tournament time for nearly two moons.

The winds call, the road beacons, it is time ......He muttered softly.

((Note Dex has been at odds with his focus in Rhydin and Atrebla for that matter, having always looked at the needs of others and failing to ask for help he says nothing to those around.... be aware that your characters would be mostly oblivious to the fact of what he is thinking))
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

A Surprise

She had forgotten his birthday. Again. Ann had let her into his office and assured her, he'd still be surprised even if it came a few days late. Topaz looked around. She had been only once or twice. They usually met everywhere else but here. The office looked clean, and if it were not for the latest paper neatly folder atop his desk, and a to-do-list with today's date neatly marked at the top of the desk, one might have thought he just did not work in his office at all. Ann had told her he stopped by his office every night after he was done with his rounds.

She placed what she hoped was the perfect gift on his desk and propped a birthday card against the box. The shop had been hard to find. It was not even marked by a sign and she had gone past it three times before she thought of knocking at its door to ask for Nilmer. He had assured her this book was just what she was looking for. It sure looked impressive enough bound in midnight blue velvety leather and kept in a prettily carved wooden box with silver enforced corners and hinges. To be honest, she had decided on it for it's looks rather then the value Nilmer promised of the words within. If it would help Dex having an easier time of it working with the spells of the other book, all the better.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Returning form days on end of mundane tasks and overwhelming work Dex finally returned to his office and saw the tome on his desk. A smile crossed his face realizing who sent it and what it was. Kicking up his feet in a quiet moment of contemplation he began to read from the first cover.

After some three hours into the night he finally set the book down and fell asleep in his chair snoring loudly but soundly asleep.

Dreaming in the night of visions of Devarrah, Jo and some unknown personage, then a vision of there experience on the way to Ann’s family he wakes up in a cold sweat.

Something amiss in the hills

He whispers under his breathe while Ann sleeps beside him.

I must speak with Tiny....
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Seeing Dex rise late in the night she lies quietly wondering where he could be off to. Ann waits until he exits the room and quickly dons her cloak and follows him outside and down the path towards the portal. She slides through the shadows and enters the portal just a moment after him to see what business he could possible have at this hour at the Beacon.

Having spoken with Topaz they came up with a plan to check on Jo, they would need help from Querylon and Devarrah.

((Authors note-the rescue attempt for Jo continues in the thread A Cooks Ramblings))
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Dex made his way slowly around his home, the Diamond of Fists weighing on his mind, had he been a respectable member of the community, even more important had he fulfilled his promise to Matt Simon. He practiced with some unusual spells from the dark tome that Topaz had given him, preparing for the upcoming Arch-mage tournament. He wanted that title, to hold it for the 10 days simultaneously with the Fists title. He knew he would have to refocus the magical studies and began to integrate the spells of Ghost-form and of Displacement to create a new defense translocation ability. Hopefully it would not backfire on him.

Try as he might the practice was not enough as he begun to have problems returning to a solid state, the spells took far too much strength from him and dueling in Magic was not helping as that sucked valuable mana from him. He started to become accidentally ethereal involuntarily, this was bad.

Return to “Atrebla”