Discoveries

Tales from the Atreblan Valley

Moderator: Michelle Montoya

Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“You might want to step back a bit, just in case this flashes,” Ariel pulled on the gloves and lowered the face shield as she prepared to pour the bronze into the mold. As the glowing metal streamed into the mold with hissing and an abundance of radiating heat, Ariel pondered Topaz’s wish for Lucien. It was something she had wished for both brothers, but two millennia of hunting had left its mark on both of them. Marks that would not soon be reversed, if in fact they ever could be smoothed away.

When the pour was complete, she pulled off the gloves and shield, facing Topaz, “Perhaps now that the Marchioness will not be in residence this year you can convince Lucien to have a traditional celebration with the Prince, I am certain they would enjoy that.”

She then set the mold in a constant temperature chamber to allow the bronze to cool. “I believe I am ready to see what treasures can be found in Rhydin.”

Topaz stepped back, but remained close enough to keep watching. "I will certainly ask. I think Gabriel will be here too. Azjah offered him to be Santa for the children's party Rena is organizing." With a wide smile she looked up to Ariel. "Aye, lets go see if anyone has anything that'll put smiles on everyone’s' faces."

Ariel reached for her cloak and gloves then. “Where would you like to begin? There is the old district, where we should be able to find antiques and treasures of old, or shall we remain on this side of town and check out the merchants who specialize in all of the modern gadgets and widgets?”

"The modern gadgets and widgets first, I think." Topaz was rather looking forward to see what new strange and useless yet utterly amusing things the inventors had come up with.

Topaz fell into step beside Ariel and left the decision of where to go first entirely up to her. The streets and windows already looked ready for Yule and soft seasonal music poured from every store. Had Topaz been by herself, she would have stopped at every window to admire the displays. Of course, she would not get any shopping done that way.

The crisp evening air lent a festive feel to the upcoming season to Ariel, and she pondered where to begin. “This might be my only opportunity to do any shopping, so if I take too long at any one place, feel free to nudge me along.” She paused in front of an electronics store, where the window display held every kind of computerized gadget imaginable, and a few that she could not even begin to identify a purpose for under any circumstances. “Shall we wander in? Given Gabriel’s fascination with flight, perhaps we can find something to keep him from getting lost?” Her giggle was pure imp.

"I will be happy to do that. You, of course, must do the same." Topaz gave a merry chuckle and generally wore the expression of a child left alone in a candy store. "We shall. Gabriel gets lost?" More giggling. "That sounds like a fun story."

The inside of the store was even more fascinating than the window had promised. "Oh look, all kinds of things with buttons to press and twinkling lights. Maybe they even have a present for Kendrik Twopointoh." Topaz paused to watch flickering lights that resembled a spotted puppy supposedly making a puddle of equally flickering lights in a corner of a bluish piece of glass.

Ariel perused through the gadgetry and found a portable navigation system, turning to Topaz, “This might keep him from getting lost again, I wonder if they have maps for places outside of Rhydin?”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

There was an impish delight in her voice as she pondered a sleek cell phone with all kinds of added features. “I’m afraid I have a weakness for the new and unusual. There are not many traditional bones in my body.” But the smile was completely unrepentant.

"But we're not here to get things for ourselves." Topaz reminded with a grin before a sales person greeted them and demanded their attention. At Topaz's nod regarding her interest in the puppy the man broke into a lengthy speech that, though it sounded common, made little sense to Topaz.

"Well, can you wrap it up in "virtual" paper?" She requested when the sales person appeared to have reached the end of his speech, and having figured out the meaning of one of the words he had been using. He did look a tad disappointed though. "It is to be a Yule present."

Ariel laughed, “That is the problem with shopping, I always find things that fascinate me in the process.” She waited as the peeing puppy was procured and gave the cell phone one last look before heading over to look at the music assortment. She had decided that her brother Gabriel needed something soothing and comforting for his rooms. Lately he had been withdrawn, and she felt the deep seated resignation within him. “Music is good for the soul, right Topaz?”

As soon as Ariel's back was turned, Topaz signed to the sales person that she was taking two of the gadget Ariel had been studying, too. Quickly, and hopefully before Ariel noted the brief exchange, Topaz caught up with her sister in law.

"Yes, music is wonderful for all kinds of things. Lucien likes orchestra music and the old waltzes. But he has a car full of music and we don't have much time to enjoy it. It is really too bad that there isn't a way to get that thing into his library."

The salesperson smiled, “You want to get music from the car into the library? There are all kinds of ways to accomplish that. We have portable devices, or there are systems that will take the same media as you have in the car. That way you only need to bring the media into the library and insert it into the unit there. May I show you something along those lines?”

Ariel smiled to herself as the salesman took advantage of the opening Topaz had given him.

The fairy nodded her permission to the sales person and followed him as he showed her one sound system after the other. Topaz ignored the fountain of words that sprung from the sales person every time he waved his hand at a different system. Recalling Julian's advice, that the more buttons something had the better men would like it, Topaz made her decision. The system she finally pointed at had also triggered the longest speech.

But when he mentioned a set up service, the fairy paled and turned to Ariel for help. "I don't think Lucien or Gabriel would appreciate strangers in their libraries."

Ariel’s brow rose slightly. “I very much doubt they would like that. Besides, it will give them a challenge to figure it out.” A challenge was a good thing for both of her brothers.

Ariel glanced across the street as the woman who owned the candle shop seemed to be preparing to close for the evening, and she focused on her a long moment. She needed some of the specialty scents the woman had, and wasn’t ready for her to close.

The clerk was quick to agree that the set up would pose a challenge to most. With practiced efficiency the clerk handled the credit chip transaction while they arranged for the purchases to be delivered already gift wrapped to the palazzo.

Ariel's mention of scented candles as they left the gadget shop found Topaz's approval. "They should make nice gifts, too. Do you happen to know what scents everyone likes best?"
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

They crossed the cobblestone street and made their way into the shop. As the door opened and the small brass bell chimed, the proprietor looked up and smiled, “I was just considering closing for the night, but something told me I should wait just a bit. What can I get for you ladies this evening?”

Ariel breathed in the fragrances surrounding them, and closed her eyes with an expression of pure bliss. “I think the Marchioness likes woodsy fragrances, like juniper and evergreen and bayberry. And I know that many of the Palazzo’s candles are scented in such earthy fragrances rather than the perfumes or flowers.”

Ariel turned to the proprietor then, “I would like to obtain two very special essential oils if you have them, Cedar and Evergreen blend, and Orange/Ginger.” As the woman disappeared into her back storage room, Ariel wanders among the candles, taking in their aroma with an expression of pure delight.

"What do others like? The prince and his mate, Gregori and his wife." Again Topaz paid close attention to what Ariel seemed to like best as they looked and sniffed. She wished that she could remember all their names, but their one meeting had been too brief for the names to have stuck. Gregori and the prince's mate are healers. Perhaps they would enjoy scents that help with healing?"

Topaz's gaze fell upon a display of fancily sculptured, multi-colored candles, which were a joy to look at in addition to smelling delicious. "Oh look, Ariel, I think I found just the thing!"

Ariel nodded, “Yes, scents are so closely associated with healing, I am certain they would love such a thing. There is an herb shop in the old town area where you could actually obtain the herbs themselves and not simply the fragrances, if you would prefer?”

Ariel paused in front of a very tall pillar candle in palest green, her fingertips not quite touching it as she leaned closer to savor the scent emanating from it. “Bayberry and cedar… is there a more heavenly smell?”

"There is nothing that says we cannot do both." Topaz smiled, she had already planned on getting various herbs in decorative yet practical containers. She was sure every one of the Carpathians would find them useful, not just the healers.

"Oh yes there is, that of Lucien and coffee and chocolate." She laughed, there was of course no candle in the store smelling even remotely of Lucien. By the time the proprietor returned from the back with Ariel's requested scents, Topaz had an entire list ready of the candles she would like to purchase or order.

"I still think Gabriel and Lucien need some toys." She offered once she was finished making her purchases and placing order. "Challenging toys. Gabriel perhaps even more so than Lucien. A toy store may be a good idea altogether. Rena is having a Christmas party for the children in the temple district. And though it's decorations I promised to donate, a few extra play things will not be wrong. Doesn't the prince have a couple of little ones, too?"

Ariel reached for the tall pillar candle, having decided to make the purchase along with the essential oils, “We certainly can head for a toy store, although you may have your hands full convincing my brothers the let their hair down long enough to ‘play’. What party?”

She selected a few more candles, all in woodsy scents. “Have you had Lucien play for you? He is a wizard on a piano or harpsichord.”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

"He is?" That information came as a surprise. "He never breathed so much as a hint. I will have to ask him for a concert." Her thoughts returned to the toy idea. "Maybe they'd enjoy tossing a ball through a hoop better than construction toys."

"It's a party with food and presents for the children. Gabriel agreed to be Santa. I would love to see that."

Ariel nodded. “Yes, he’s had long enough to get good at it, and he has found that learning the more challenging pieces had helped pass the long years. It is rather like his books, they filled hours and days when nothing seemed to matter.”

She took her candles to the counter and paid the owner for the items before turning back toward Topaz. “Gabriel has been Santa Claus, Saint Nicholas, and several other incarnations of that archetype. I am glad to hear he is taking an interest in the holidays. He has had me worried.”

"He has been behaving somewhat different since that acid accident." Topaz too concluded her business with the proprietor, but chose to have her purchases delivered rather than carry them around with her.

"It can't be easy for him with all the happily mated Carpathians around." Topaz mused once they were on the way to the toy store. However, it was not likely that they could find him the perfect wife for Yule.

The toy display gave her another idea. "He should consider adoption." A little one to take care of might give him incentive to hold out a few more decades. "Oh look! Isn't that the most adorable doll you've ever seen?" Topaz pointed at a soft body doll in a dark red dress with midnight black
hair.

Ariel’s surprise showed clearly in her features, “Adopt? Oh dear! There is not a Hunter alive who would consider such a thing. Their lives can be forfeit at any time, and they can be sent anywhere the Prince desires without notices. I do not think that is an answer to Gabriel’s situation, although you do have a good point, since the acid trap, he has not been entirely himself.”

She looked at the doll in the window. “Yes, she is a lovely thing. Who did you have in mind for such a gift?”

"Baby." Topaz grinned. "Though it's a little too early for that. Did Lucien already let you know that our baby will be a girl?" Gabriel sure seemed to know everything, and sometimes even before she did. "How old are you nephews? Shall we go inside and see what wants to go under the tree?"

Ariel glanced at Topaz then, everyone knew not only about the child, but that it was a female child, which meant everyone would be watching her closely, for such a child would likely be a mate for someone. Or that would be the strong hope of her people. But if she said that, would the woman be offended? “Yes, Lucien told me that you are both expecting a little girl. That is wonderful news.”

She followed her into the toy store, a place she had never been before.

"I guess he told everyone and no one will be surprised anymore." Topaz grinned and sent a loving thought Lucien's way. "Oh, there are toys. Everywhere!" Her gaze darted from one display to another and then to the shelves beyond before she again looked to Ariel with sparkling eyes. "I can't decide where to go first."
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

"Oh, there are the blocks Tormay used to like so much. There's even an Arena set." She pointed at a box that claimed 'With official and dueler figurines' and giggled. "But I doubt he'd enjoy that near as much now."

"What is this?" Something else had caught her eye and she picked up a box. "Listen to this: Home planetarium with interactive meteor maker, projects hundreds of stars and constellations... It's perfect. Gabriel absolutely needs to have this. It even has a guided tour so he can't get lost."

Ariel burst out laughing at her comment about getting lost. ”I would not count on that. But perhaps it would help.”

Ariel’s eyes scanned the packed toy store. Things she had never imagined festooned the shelves, and there were all kinds of moving and noise making toys strewn across the floor, making walking a serious hazard. A ball with what appeared to be a plush ferret sort of creature was rolling and wobbling around in a circle, and some of the toys were activated by people who passed by, apparently motion activated. She shook her head in wonder at the variety and volume. “When I was a child, such things were unimaginable. We made dolls out of reeds and bits of twine and cloth. And balls were usually made of leather from goats stuffed with grasses or pebbles, depending on what game was intended.”

"Yes, it isn't it absolutely wonderful?" She remembered playing with magic and the things and creatures found in the forest. "You should have some toys, too. Then you could show your brothers how playing is done."

Topaz picked up a couple of marionettes, one a princely looking personage, the other a scruffy dog, and started to manipulate them in a fighting scene. "Evil is fun, you should try it." She growled and made the scruffy dog snap at the princely arm. "You are seeking the prince's justice." She made the princely figure reach for the scraggly dog's chest, then giggled. "You don't even make a very impressive wolf."

Ariel laughed at her antics. “I am afraid I would not be the best teacher when it comes to playing. I have never seen such things before. Now I find joy in creating my art.’ She shrugged and watched as the marionettes were manipulated by the fairy.

She glanced behind the counter and found an exquisite chess set then, and wandered in that direction.

Topaz set the marionettes, those she had played with and a few more, on a clear space on the counter along with the meteor maker box before she caught up with Ariel. "Who plays chess?"

“Both Gabriel and Lucien, the Prince, Shea, Gregori, and I do. It’s something you cannot help but learn if you are a fan of strategy and planning.” Ariel smiled as she picked up the black queen of the set she was looking at.

"I always thought of strategy and planning as an evil necessity. Do you all have fancy sets already?" Topaz preferred games that didn't require careful planning and came with more variation and colors. "Have you ever heard of or perhaps even played Rushna?"

Her gaze darted to some of the other board games in brightly colored boxes. There seemed to be an awful lot of them. "Would it be enough of a challenge to master a new game?"

Ariel shook her head, “No, I cannot say I have ever played Rushna. Is it a good strategy game?”

She set the black queen back upon the board. “We all have multiple sets, from different times, but I have never seen such a wonderful set of cast metal with all this in-lay work. This is very beautiful.”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Ariel gave her a supporting smile, “they will appreciate any gift you care to give them Topaz. It is the thought that matters far more than the physical thing. We have lived too long and have amassed too many ‘things’. Remember that.”

"Rushna is a game I learned from the forest elves. It tends to encourage planning and strategy, but enough loops are thrown in to keep the game interesting." Topaz thinks for a moment. "Like if you were to add drawing special mission cards from a random deck in-between chess moves would add another dimension to that game."

"Right, so long as I don't go around gifting the women with nifty weapons." Topaz chuckled. "A few challenging board games may be just the thing. Who knows, they may even learn something useful in playing." Topaz promptly added several of the brightly colored boxes to her growing stack. "There, that should do it. Maybe we can tell them it's too keep up with the times."

Ariel’s laughter was truly amused, “You have learned the secret of harmoniously living with our males! Women do not require weapons, nor should we have them.” She was still chuckling, “What they don’t realize is that with or without weapons in our hands, we are still very capable of defending ourselves, but you are correct. It would not be taken well to gift our females with weaponry. And truth to tell, most of us do not care to carry such things. Our strengths lie in other areas, just as important, and sometimes just as deadly.”

Topaz smiled, "Wielding a blade with deadly accuracy is easier than working magic for me, though not always feasible. But it's probably a little more complicated than leaving the arsenal at home. Can't go around hugging people either. Gabriel's in danger of having something pop every time I say so much as Hello to him." She grinned then.

When a sales person finally caught up with them, Topaz pointed to her stack. "I'm taking all that and I'd like to leave an order for dolls and stuffed animals to be delivered to the temple by Friday."

By the time Topaz finished placing the order, arranging for the deliveries and transferring funds Adriel too was done with her shopping at the toy store and they decided to head into the old part of town.

There Topaz knew just were to go and what places were open for business at that time of night. They went to the herb shop first, leaving the store for books and scrolls to be their last stop. With Ariel’s help it was easy to put together useful sets of herbs and to select containers that were practical as well as pleasing to the eyes.

The owner of the books store greeted Topaz with a warm smile. After introductions were made he was only too happy to show the ladies his latest acquisitions of books, scrolls and manuscripts. It was here that Topaz found what she thought would be the gift most pleasing to Lucien: A one of a kind handwritten three book set of Sylvan history with colorful illustrations and artful borders decorating each page. That the books were in a language Lucien had not yet mastered, Topaz thought, only added a nice challenge.

Excitement over having found Yule gifts for just about everyone covered the exhaustion Topaz felt long enough to see her home after she’d taken her leave of Ariel. Between the two, it was likely that Lucien would know what presents he was getting.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

The All Ranks Tournament was scheduled for the evening and Topaz wanted to arrive on the Isle early. Even though, several patrons were already there and engaged in conversation when she arrived. To see Illusia and Solace among them was a huge surprise. But the fairy didn’t have the luxury of enjoying their visit. The tournament preparations demanded her attention after only the briefest of greetings.

“Look at all these people, Topaz! You got a list and a hand full!” Tass remarked as he sent a wave off at all the people on the Isle. He had volunteered to help with the officiating this evening, and seeing the Isle this crowded made Topaz doubly glad that he had done so. “And they just keep coming!”

Topaz nodded and waved to the stream of people just arriving. The she checked their names against the names on her list of tournament participants while Tass went on his usual quest of stealing kisses from everyone.

Lucien faded into the visible spectrum just as she started the official announcements. Topaz was aware of his silent approach from behind – Lucien had let her sleep until it was time for her to go to the isle - and hurried to add Kitty’s and Cory’s names to her list so she would get to properly greet him. Then Lucien stood behind her, leaned over and kissed her on the back of her neck. There was warmth in his touch, which meant he had already fed well.

“Good evening Love.” She turned to him with a bright smile. His simple being here, close enough to touch, made her feel better. She also felt, with a wave of thankfulness and warmth, his support in staving off the near constant exhaustion she felt of late. “Will you sit with me?” Topaz stood and offered Lucien her seat.

“Good evening my dear. Of course.” The next moment he pulled her comfortably into his lap and curled one arm around her waist. She snuggled against him and held his arm to her before she faced the crowd again with the next official announcement. He felt her weariness still as a living
thing, and it was worrying him, though he tried to keep that buried deeply enough she would not sense it.

Topaz worked out the pairings for the first round of the tournament duels and started to call the participants to rings. She was doing fine, too, until Lucien distracted her, lightly running his fingertips along the edge of her wings, and promptly made a mistake.

As soon as she had corrected it and while the duelers were on their way into the rings she turned to Lucien for a quick kiss and then whispered. “It's a little crazier than usual.”

Lucien gave her a slow, sexy smile. “Good.” The nuance in his voice promised trouble.

“That's good?” She chuckled softly, wondering what he thought was good about it.

He nodded as his lips brushed her shoulder just before the duel in the ring she was officiating started. Distraction seemed to be uppermost in his mind at the moment.

“I have a present for you of sorts.” Topaz whispered to him between rounds.

“You do? How many surprises have you planned for me? “His brows went up fractionally at her announcement.

“A lot.” She admitted with a smile. “Well, if they remain surprises.”

He gave her a suspicious look. “Have I ever told you I dislike surprises?”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“No, you have not. And you liked the last two well enough.” She loved surprising him and seeing him enjoying her surprises. “Three even. You liked the new rooms, the kitty and the baby, no?”

“After my heart began to beat again, yes.” He was being melodramatic in his gestures, as though each surprise had nearly stopped his heart, never to restart again.

Topaz gave him another quick kiss while no one was looking. “There won't be anything quite that huge for Yule. And this one is really a tiny one in comparison, too.”

“Knowing you, somehow I doubt that.” The fact that she thought enough to give him anything remained an absolute amazement to him after so many years of being alone, and never having anyone think of his needs, beyond his brother and sister, but there were never emotions involved then.

She turned to Lucien again with a whisper after having announced another round result. “You know how we said we'd renegotiate come Yule?”

He glanced down at her. “Yes.” There was a hint of trepidation in his voice.

“We're not going to. I have absolutely no wish coming along hunting with you for some time longer.” She beamed a smile up to him.

Both his brows winged upward. “Indeed not? Why?” She had clearly surprised him with her announcement.

The action in her ring and the need to watch it closely gave her a moment to contemplate her answer. These days she was too exhausted to be any good in a fight and magic energy seemed to be in short supply. She also did not want to endanger their baby needlessly. But neither was the true motivation.

“Because just thinking about the negotiation makes you... uneasy and I’d much rather that you can enjoy the Yule season with me.” She had more than just this Yule season in mind, though, if she could find a way for them to share the hunt without her bodily presence at them.

“We have done alright these last months, have you been unhappy?” He was testing the waters between them because he could sense there was more to it than she had stated.

“No, of course not, and neither have you.” She was in fact very happy. “I still want to eventually come along or figure out some other way to be part of that, but not now and not Yule and well, we can just put it off.”

He kissed the top of her head. “A reprieve?” Relief flooded through him, he had not been looking forward to pointing out that in her condition, she was much too precious for him to risk in any kind of fighting.

“Ayup.” She looked at him to see if he liked the idea. It was too early yet to promise that it would never come up again.

“Absolutely. The longer we put off that discussion the happier I will be.” He answered her unasked question. If he could get it put off for eternity, he would be happier still. But, he knew his mate, and knew she would always long to be in the thick of things.

“Perfect.” She chuckled softly and then tilted her head slightly to the side and teased. “I don't think your heart stopped at all at this surprise.”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“It definitely missed a couple of beats.” Of course, his heart missed a lot of beats every day as he lay in the sleep of his kind, but he wasn't going to point that fact out.

“Was it really that much of a surprise?” The duel in her ring came to a close and she had a few minutes to concentrate her focus entirely on Lucien. He shifted slightly on the couch as she half-turned in Lucien's lap and wrapped her arms around him for a hug.

“I love you.” She whispered quietly as he held her tight.

“This is a good thing, for you are stuck with me for a very long time.” He kissed her lips lingeringly. And he found he liked that idea a lot.

“I like the way that sounds.” She replied when he lifted his head again, hoping that he liked the idea as much as she did.

“What did your people think of your changes to The Beacon?” He had not seen Julian since she had shown him the rooms, and given their dim view of those who relied on living blood to survive, he doubted Julian would be overly thrilled.

“They really still do not know. Unless you mean the Yule decorations. Those everyone adores.”

“I was referring to the subterranean rooms.” The fact that anyone would know about them troubled him, and he was uncomfortable with not warding them against intruders. When they used them, he would, but right now, they were not strongly protected.

“Only Julian actually knows of their existence, and no one but you and me have seen them.” She gave him a pleased grin. Julian had to know where to find her while she was working on those rooms, but she had managed to keep them a secret from everyone else.

“We should set wards to turn the curious back.” He wanted to set strong wards against the curious, but they were her rooms.

“You didn't already do that?” Topaz was in complete agreement.

“Since we have not spent time there yet, no, but I shall.” She had given him her consent, and that was all he needed to plan for the wards.

“Tonight perhaps?” One of these days she’d have to find out if the earth there was the correct kind. Though she had used her new Carpathian abilities to select the earth, she didn’t yet entirely trust her interpretation and use of her new talents.

“We have guests at the Palazzo, and the Marchioness is gone.” He knew the privacy afforded by his suite, he knew that even his brother would have a hard time sensing anything within his walls, as his suite was similarly protected, and he knew the ward that protected where he slept, but The
Beacon was a complete unknown for him, and old world hospitality pretty much demanded that they remain to host the Prince and his entourage.

“So we should stay at the palazzo just in case one of the guests shows themselves?” It was all too easy to forget that the guests were still there.

“They come back daily. Would you wish them to be unhosted? But if you do not wish to remain there...” If she were truly unhappy about his home, he would of course go to the Beacon, but he had hoped she would come to think of the Palazzo as her home too.

“No, darling, that's quite all right.” Perhaps they were avoiding her on purpose. Either way, it didn’t really matter to her where they spent their time, so long as she was with Lucien.

He brushed his lips along her throat. “Give them a chance my love.” Her errant thoughts had not been shielded, and he knew she still believed they disliked her, and perhaps more than that, but he knew they did not. It would take time to get this worked out.

“I will.” She smiled to him and determined to view their future actions in the most positive light possible. That none of them had bugged her about their baby and that Gregori was helping with keeping the Valley safe counted for something. She also appreciated that Lucien was out hunting a little less with the other hunters there to share that responsibility.

The tournament progressed and again demanded most of Topaz’s attention. As she tired further Lucien distracted her less and she was glad for Lucien’s continued quiet strength. As soon as the tournament concluded and Topaz had awarded the prizes to the winners, Lucien took her home.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

The Third Link

Topaz had arrived on the isle a little earlier to check on and to deal with the week's paperwork. Silent the steps of the visitor may have been, but Topaz sensed the presence anyway and looked up. She smiled as she saw Rhaine. “Good evening. No heals or black dress this evening, I see.”

“At least I had time to change.” She said with a slight smile and sat down in the sand with a cup of aromatic coffee and started to simply enjoy it. “The week's been hectic enough.”

“I need to think of something incredibly elegant to wear for Yule. Is there a way to cheat about that deadly foot wear?” She could fly, of course, and then it wouldn’t matter what was on her feet. But as quickly as she tired of late, she probably wouldn’t be able to keep that up for long.

“No idea. I dread the thought of wearing official monstrosities again.”

“Oh, it has to be incredibly elegant and totally comfortable.” Topaz grinned. That she wanted to look as elegant as the Carpathian females did not mean that she was volunteering for torture.

“Marchioness may know more about fashions... There should be something not as murderous as these high heels.”

“We're to celebrate Yule with the prince and co. And no way am I going to offend their delicate sensibilities this time. The Marchioness is gone to Rigel, though.” She’d continue to practice thinking up clothes and hopefully by Yule she’d get it right enough.

“Oh. Again. I hope nothing bad this time?”

“There was nothing bad last time either. Maybe she'll find what she lost there during her last visit. At least I hope she does.” Topaz still hoped that Azjah would be back in time for Yule.

Rhaine nodded. “Did you manage to find Amaris? The kid is nowhere to be found, it seems.”

“That coffee smells good.” The fairy promptly charmed a goblin into fetching her a cup, too. “Ah, Amaris - no. But something odd happened the other day.”

“Really? I would be more than interested to hear.”

“A cat-woman I've never met before came to isle looking for either you or me. Artemus sent her with a message. Only, I can't figure out what the message is. What Artemus told her to tell us is all stuff we already knew. I don't much care for her, she makes promises she knows she can't keep. Yup, or so she believes.”

Rhaine quirked an eyebrow. “So Errtu let her see Artemus? Promises she couldn't keep? Like what?”

“Art made her promise she wouldn't develop an emotional attachment to him. Why she'd tell me, a total stranger, the gods only know.”

Rhaine laughed silently. “What a type... Well, isn't that a sign that we'll manage to smack down this Errtu...”

“The supposed message was to find the key, the cage is of his own making. - We have the book and we knew the mess was Art's own doing.” Topaz shrugged and added, “At least she was telling the truth as she knows it.”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Rhaine continued laughing, while her gaze revealed deeply rooted pain. “Precisely. We've now no reason to doubt. Simple, straightforward, naive, mortal, fragile... I should have never hoped for the wheel turns to end. Purely emotional attachment, you said... Gods, I wish I could get drunk.”

“Those are extremely kind words.” Rhaine was taking this better than Topaz thought she would. “That woman means trouble. That was even more obvious than her speaking the truth.”

“She may mean trouble... but if the emotional attachment is strong enough, it's good. If we don't find Amaris, we can use this girl.

“Do you think it's remotely possible that he sent her over to find us because we can't locate Amaris?”

“Perhaps Art knows where Errtu keeps the kid, and knows we can't reach her.”

“It'll be a one sided emotional attachment.”

“One-sided? Oh, Topaz, it won't be. It will change as soon as Art is out of danger. That has happened before, and will happen again.”

Topaz knew that Rhaine believed history had to continuously repeat itself. “Well, she did mention one bit of new information. But there's no telling if Errtu wasn't lying about it. Apparently the cat-woman has a half fae sister and Errtu was acting like he was violently allergic to fairy dust. I mistrust that, because Errtu never obviously avoided me.”

“Fairy dust, light in nature... Well, you seem to be rather accurate. Perhaps we can use that too- without relying on it too much.”

“I dueled him even a few evenings ago in the arena. And he was in the tournament last night. He didn't come all that close, but he wasn't avoiding anything either. Then again, he didn't feed on the fae magic when I sent some to investigate Artemus a while back.” Topaz shrugged. She’d need to devise a test to find out for sure.

Rhaine sipped her coffee, biting the rim of coffee cup. “I do not know how long this is going to last, Topaz.”

The fairy looked portalward as she sensed another arrival and schooled her features when she recognized Kitty. Quietly for Rhaine ears alone she whispered. “Speak of the... there she is.”

Rhaine’s dark blue eyes remained indifferent as she looked toward the portal and watched the cat-woman rake her hair back with her claws with a slight frown on her face.

Topaz accepted a cup from a busy goblin with a thankful smile before she turned to the new arrival again. “Good evening, Kitty.”

“Well, fits the pattern.” The slight smile on Rhaine’s lips did not reach her eyes. “Good evening.”

Kitty went still, only her tail flicked slightly as she looked to the voices. After a moment she relaxed. “Hi... “

“Those can be broken.” Topaz whispered to Rhaine before she sipped from her cup.

“I wouldn't dare to hope.” Rhaine replied just as quietly while she watched Kitty approach. Out loud she said, “So I guess you are the lass that was looking for Topaz and for me.”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Kitty grabbed a chair and spun it around to straddle it backward. “Yeah. The jackass let me talk to Art and he told me to find you.” She looked at Rhaine for a moment. “You must be...” She trailed off.

“Rhaine Rustovich.” The vamps voice was calm.

“Kitty Helston.”

“Topaz Datrazanov.” Topaz said out of curiosity. It would be interesting to see if Kitty knew the name.

Rhaine chuckled lightly. “Never thought you'd change your last name if you had any. Thought fairies were above normal traditions.”

Topaz grinned back. “Why would I not adopt the name? - And no, I didn't come with one.” With a wide smile she added, “I like this tradition though.”

Kitty blinks at the fairy. “I'm not even going to try and repeat that last one.”

“Anyways, lass... Kitty... you said Errtu allowed you to see Artemus. Do you remember precisely the text of the message? As detailed as you can?”

“Briefly. Art mentioned a woman who had recently admitted feelings for him. I'm assuming it was you, since I know Topaz is with someone.” Kitty glanced at the woman and smiled.

There was a momentary blush on the vamp’s cheeks, making her look almost human. “As if that makes any difference.”

Kitty frowned as she thought. “He said to find you, because he knew you were up to something to free him.” She made a face. “I could see him… in that cage.”

“Yea, I've feelings for Art too... the kind that make me want to throttle him for letting this mess happen.”

Rhaine laughed at that. “Definitely.”

“It does.” Kitty nodded. “My place in his life is disposable. Always has been. And yes, I'd like to smack him a good one too.”

“I can remove my presence from his life, Kitty.” Rhaine smiled sadly. “It won't be easy for me, but I've done that once, and will do that again.”

Kitty appeared surprised at that and explained about the racial background of her family. Topaz listened with half an ear as she sipped her coffee. She was already tired again, and looking forward to a nap.

“I know the classification, thank you. But compared to dhoine, succubae are... all heart? We won't need an incubus here, a gay incubus would be... a bit too much.” Topaz snickered into her cup at the image Rhaine’s words pulled up.

“They're... all lust. Not that it matters. Like I said, I'm not one. I'm moredhel... with some cat thrown in.”

“Ah-ha.” Rhaine remarked and Topaz gave her a telling look.

“What?” Kitty looked between the two.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“Do you want to do the honors?” Topaz finished her coffee and handed a convenient goblin the empty cup, charging it to bring more.

“I'm merely trying to classify a living being.” Rhaine said with a slight grin, showing her fangs. “Without doing any serious investigations.”

“Not food.” The fairy offered helpfully with a wink.

“Okay, not food.” Rhaine gave a mock sad look. “A dear, dear friend. Do you think that fits into the system?”

“I taste horrible. Or at least, that's what the last vampire said who bit me.”

“Isn't that other governor candidate a vampire?” Topaz appeared easily distracted.

“Talomar? He is.” Rhaine confirmed while Kitty frowned at the mention of the name.

“Well, Gnort had better win that election then. When's the election to be anyway?”

“Why? Talomar didn't invent no-slashing rule.”

“I don't think Talamar could go a full 15 rounds anyway, slashing or no slashing.” Topaz giggled. “Doesn't strike me as the sporty type.”

“He's a pompous ass, and if I didn't get stuck with Tara as family, I'd introduce his face to my boot.” Kitty obviously didn’t care for Talomar.

“Whatever. I'm getting enough of political crap at work, please don't mention it when I'm on a weekend.”

That goblin was back with fresh steaming coffee and Topaz accepted the cup with a smile before she turned to Rhaine again. “Sorry, Rhaine. We were talking about Errtu and you were about to tell Kitty why Artemus sent her over. I think.”

“I've a feeling I know why Arty told Kitty to find us. If we use Art as center of coordinates, Kitty would fit the three-fold system. Not an extreme case, but a fitting case.” Rhaine got to the point.

“Can't say I like it, but Art probably is the expert on the subject.”

“Probably. As I have told you, my kind are hardly experts. So we can try at least.” Rhaine agreed with the fairy.

“Is this more of that magic stuff?” Kitty glanced between the two.

“Ridiculously magic stuff actually. I only wonder why it's Art that invents problems, and us that try to solve them.”

“It would be so much easier to just, uhm... never mind.” Some things should just remain unsaid, Topaz shook her head at her uncharitable thought and returned to sipping coffee.

“Because he's a damn man.” Kitty groaned.

“Right!” Rhaine rolled the R and laughed openly.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“I swear... as soon as he's fixed and we're sure he's nice and healthy and hunky dory again I'm beating his ass.” Kitty promised. “I'll even have my sister heal him after each beating so we have fresh starts.”

“I can deal with the healing, I'm already used to having Arty as a patient.” Kitty snickered at Rhaine’s offer.

“Talking about patients, how's that wolf?” Topaz asked idly.

“Awake, but with amnesia. Physical functionality restored, but an obvious magically-induced memory loss.” Rhaine gave a shrug. “Last couple of years - all of his time in Rhydin - lost.”

“No surprise really. The swords or his own doing, what do you think? Probably for the best, the amnesia I mean.”

“Not quite sure. Rather complex picture, and he didn't let me check it out in more detail, he's seriously allergic to Kindred.

“What an odd thing to be allergic to... oh, allergic! Kitty, tell Rhaine please about that fairy allergy of Errtu.” Sometimes a distraction redirects to the main subject of conversation.

“He's a shifter. A werewolf. They dislike vampires.” The statement earned Rhaine a slight shake of head from the fairy, who knew from experience that wolves and vampire types could get along fabulously.

“Oh.” Kitty accepted a cup of coffee from a goblin with a wink before she turned to Rhaine. “Well, this little pixie came in. Said her name was Glimmer. He wouldn't let her touch him. Wouldn't touch the dust she left on the floor. I was working at the time, so he probably thought I didn't notice. But I heard him tell her that he was allergic to her kind.”

“Catch a pixie, shake off some dust, and encircle the brat like into a pentagram.” Rhaine stated quietly. “The initial trap for the being did involve fae folk, so why not. Quite logical.”

“I can get at least three to willingly give their dust to me.” Kitty sipped from her coffee cup. “So, I guess I'd better get some sparkly baubles for bribes handy... “

“And I think you can take part in a spell system, no one's more fitting there at the moment.” Rhaine appeared neither pleased not disturbed as she said that, but Topaz suspected that she felt both.

“There's really no need for baubles, unless you wish to give them to me?” Topaz grinned teasingly.

“Whatever it takes to get this freak back in his cage and let Art out.” Kitty accepted Rhaine’s invitation before she grinned to the fairy. She curled her hand, and then uncurled it and set a sparkly piece of glass on the tabletop, carved to look like a bird. It was a sample of the baubles she used to bribe pixies - carved glass.

“That is rather pretty.” Topaz chuckled at the glass bird. “I was really only kidding, but I know just the person who would absolutely adore this. I think Azjah would really like it.”

“I've discovered they're good for kids and some pixies. Plus the ability to make it just appear makes them do that whole Ooooo thing. Added bonus.” Kitty grinned. “I could probably get some of that dust from Glimmer. Just to check for comparability.”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“In case it's just pixies and not fairies he's allergic to?” Topaz had turned over recent meetings with the possessed Artemus in her mind, examining each for evidence regarding that alleged allergy. The more she thought about it, the more likely it appeared that Errtu had slipped and revealed a weakness.

“Yeah. Because I know my sister has touched him, and she's half fairy, wings and all. But she's also half moredhel... so... who knows.”

“Is he still staying at the tower?” A little experiment would tell for sure, and Topaz started to set one up.

“I have no idea. He's been spending a lot of time with that drow chick.”

“Quite natural. We can trap him. You know what may prompt him to go just about anywhere? The book. Though we must not let him have it - Art has warned against that.”

“Not tower specific then.” Topaz said quietly to herself and instructed the already convinced to cooperate fae magic to find the Artemus Errtu entity, attempt to cause a minor allergic reaction and to then share the results with her. The amount of magic sent on the mission was minor, but she felt drained of every bit of energy at its leaving.

“You'll have to find a way to ensure he can't just magic it out.” Kitty warned before again sipping from her cup.

“In the Temple of Asmodeus outsider magic is suppressed until a high priest allows it. At least starting from level-3 security areas. Anyways... if tasks at hand are clear, we can leave. Not the best idea to strain Topaz too much, and I've stuff to do.”

“Haven't been sleeping lately?” Kitty eyed the fairy and at her protest concluded that the fairy must be pregnant. “Been there... once. My ex-husband was human, and I swear all I wanted to do was sleep and eat. Metabolism changes during pregnancy, especially when it's a hybrid child.” Kitty snickered and finished her coffee. “Well, the girl I got out of my trouble was worth it.”

“Hmm, something has to get better, or in another week or two sleeping all day and all night won't be enough sleep.” Topaz smiled an apology to both. “And now I had better get myself home before Lucien comes to carry me off.”

Rhaine and Kitty were ready to leave as well.

“Ladies, when you need me just let me know.” Kitty pushed herself up with a nod to them both and flipped each of them a green cat's eye marble. “Just rub it and yell.”

“Thanks.” Topaz bent to pick up the marble she failed to catch and pocketed it. Then she picked up the paperwork to take home and deal with later. “Good night Rhaine. Kitty.”

Return to “Atrebla”