Discoveries

Tales from the Atreblan Valley

Moderator: Michelle Montoya

Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“Ulgu, it's a pleasure to meat you. There are a bunch of things ready to eat lying around already.” So long as he was interested in eating something other than her, Topaz could be helpful. “Would you like for me to show you?”

"Bloody bodies cold and yucky, fresh is tasty. Live make good dinner." It gave another nod as it reached for the fairy again, but the fairy once again escaped its grasping fist. "And you make pretty pet, Ulgu take home, Ulgu put in cage."
“But they are much easier to catch than pretty bugs or fairies.” Topaz kept in motion and just out of the creature’s reach. She certainly would not be Ulgu’s pet. Nothing immediately presented itself to distract or trip up the one-eyed giant, so Topaz called up a few fairy lights to distract Ulgu with.

“Ulgu no want dead meat, raw tastier, raw fill belly make strong!" It did grab for her again. Its hand going through the fairy lights made it pause with an awed look in its face. "Bug make pretty lights, Ulgu real keep now!" Faster than one may have expected his hand went for Topaz again, nearly getting a grip on her legs.

“Silly Ulgu, it is fresh and raw. Right over there.” She pointed helpfully even as she darted away. He had come way too close for comfort with his hast grab for her. Perhaps making him dizzy would do her some good. With that thought she flew slow circles around him.

"Bug want play with Ulgu? Bug make pretty lights? Ulgu really want keep now." Ulgu continued to swat at her, and though he continued to miss the constant evasive maneuvering through the turbulences created by Ulgu’s movements were starting to wear out the fairy.

She cast a few more fae lights, and made them to look like pretty bugs and wisps, not so many though as to overtax Ulgu. Then she had another idea and reached into her pocket for one of those caramels she always had on her, unwrapped it and then floated the unwrapped one to Ulgu. “Do you like sweets?”

“What is sweets, it make more light bugs?" The bald head tilted to the side as his large hand took the sweet and sniffed at it testingly.

“It is even yummier than fresh meat.” Topaz searched her mind for other options on how to deal with the overgrown childlike creature. Killing it, even if she could come up with a powerful enough spell without harming the baby growing under hear heart, just seemed to be wrong.

Something yummier than fresh meat? That just didn't seem possible to Ulgu but he took the small bit of chocolate into his mouth and swallowed it in one bite, looking at the pretty bug in a hurt manner. "It taste like chewing air. Bug lie to Ulgu!" That said it swung the club at her.

“You should have kept it in your mouth longer,” Topaz had to laugh at the expression on Ulgu’s leathery face despite her predicament. “Swirl it around with your tongue. Here, let's try that again.” She reached for another caramel and floated it over as soon as she had separated it from its wrapper.

“Tongue swirling not do anything when it taste of air, just make Ulgu look silly. Now me take pretty bug home to make pretty lights when Ulgu wants it too." The Cyclops with the one tracked mind lunged after the fairy with both hands stretched out, dropping the club.

Topaz darted up, not willing to become a squished fairy. “You could at least try.”

“Pretty bug get down. Pretty bug go home with Ulgu where it be pampered and treated nice." He jumped then to grab at her again.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Though that wasn't the original plan, Topaz now had Ulgu following her. That would work to lure him away, she thought, but she didn’t particularly like that she was the lure. She should think of something to change that.

Jumping and swiping at the fairy Ulgu followed where she lead not bothering to watch where it went or what all it stepped on, further and further away from the temple. Topaz was starting to enjoy the game.

“Oh look, dragon flies!” Topaz had been looking for just such a distraction and swooped right past a bunch of them.

“Me see dragon flies all time, bite too much and circle bad smelling things!" Ulgu was not as impressed as Topaz hoped he would be.

Leaping and swiping Ulgu kept following the fairy, trying to catch her. Until it tripped over a small building grown over with moss. It fell hard and Ulgu took a long moment to just look at the ground, trying to figure out what happened and how he came to be lying down.

“Oops.” Now was her chance to disappear from Ulgu's sight. Topaz darted up and away, feeling only slightly guilty to leave Ulgu in a predicament. She made her way back to the temple once she was sure that the Cyclops was unable to follow.

Back at the temple, Topaz went to check on that barrier she had erected earlier and the not quite snakes. When she found the barrier to be working as desired, she went to look for a safe place to sit and rest. Remaining airborne the way she had for hours on end was exhausting.

Having found a crack in the wall the werewolf stood on one of the ledges at the back of the temple. He looked around before letting out a howl that sounded as if he was feeling free at last.

Topaz waved at the Wolf. Though shape shifting did not work these days, not she had ever gotten any good at it, but she sure could give an answering howl. The wolf spun around and dropped on all fours, going on the offensive. Even at that distance Topaz could see rage in its dark amber eyes. That was not the reaction she had expected to her friendly greeting.

“I'd come over and say Hi, but I have to catch my breath first. Say, are you hurt?” She remained sitting on the tree limb, dangling her legs. She even kept from calling him by name. Something told her that hearing the name would anger him further. But the wolf only growled at her before he slowly backed away. Once he was sure that she would not follow, he darted away and out of sight.

“Well, wasn't that just odd.” She glanced at Sylus’s blade. “That was the wolf king, wasn't it? Is there something I should do, or leave him be?”

~It was him, but also not. His mind is clouded by the wolf. ~
~Since coming here, he's met only enemies... his mind is that of a wolf, not who he was. ~

Topaz grinned at the blade’s replies. They were considerably less cryptic than previously. “Well, he met one other. Maybe he'll remember that.”

~You are not a true wolf, you were not born into it.~

Of course she wasn’t. Neither was any Carpathian who shape changed into one. But she had lived in the forest for a long time and made friends with many a wolf over time, even a couple of werewolves. But Sylus was something more than an ordinary werewolf. She also had sensed a tangle of emotions from him, most of them painful. He would be better off with time to himself than someone bothering to do something for his battle wounds.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“So, where's your other half?” Topaz barely posed the question when Rhaine emerged from the temple and waved to her with the book in her hand.

“Hey!” Then she bent to pick up something. When she straightened again and resumed her glide toward the fairy she held the blade Topaz had just asked about in her other hand.

“Oh, you got it already!” Topaz waved back. Rhaine did appear as if she had been busy with more then just searching for a book. “Well, the least we can do for Sy is to keep his weapons safe for him.”

“Yeah.” Rhaine glared at the blade. “You should have at least kept your master safe.”

“This one says that the one you're holding is retribution.”

Rhaine shrugged at that tidbit and addressed the blade. “I will. I have no need for a curved ungrateful semi-sentient weirdo.” Then she turned to Topaz. “Meet Redemption, and keep them close - these two are matched.”

“They are kind of cute.” She meant their intelligences rather than their looks. “Hi, Redemption. I'm Topaz.”

The very moment both swords were close to one another they flew from the vampire’s and fairy's hands and the hilts linked to turn the two individual weapons into a twin bladed staff, looking like a giant propeller.

Rhaine caressed the black blade with violet sparks as if to sooth it. “You know I will never trade you for anything, Glaeddyv Sierthii, Souldrinker.” Her words to her own sword were full of tender admiration. “Cute or not, they are Sy's. And Souldrinker is - no, not mine. He's mine and I'm his.” The black blade turned into a mist around her wrist, and then fades while she gave Topaz her explanation.

Topaz was glad that none of her blades had personalities. Retribution and Redemption floated gently in the air thoughts going out to the two.

~Together we're Rebirth~

“Did you hear that? Maybe there's hope for Sylus yet.” Topaz wondered what the blades had in mind. That they did intend something was obvious. “You got the book.”

“Naturally. Especially in this form.” Rhaine smirked. “Nice to meet you, Rebirth.” She nodded to the new weapon.

The red glow along Redemptions blade flared gently, alternating in time with the blue glow of Retribution, as if the blades were talking to one another.

“Yea. We will check it out. If it doesn't give me a headache.” Without further warning the twin bladed weapon flew off in the direction Sylus had vanished, spinning end over end faster than even than the women’s enhanced eyesight could follow.

“Well, it did say it needed to be with Sylus.” Oh how true those words were. Moments later a pained roar lit up the once quiet night along with a flash of light. Topaz turned back to Rhaine. “You may want to put a ward on it so nothing jumps out to think of you as a new home.” Topaz knew from experience that reading magical books was not as easy and harmless as it sounded.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“It hardly can, Topaz. Trust me on that.” Rhaine shook her head and whistled. “At least something smacked him on the head - or the rear.” She gave a fanged grin from under the glass visor.

“Eh, I'll be tight back, I got to see that. Or do you want to come along?” Topaz fluttered from the branch and started to dart off to have a look at what the blades had done.

Rhaine remained next to Topaz and quickly tapped her bracelet. “Dar'Sai will follow us. And I'm just as curious.”

“I hope there's a bakery open in town when we get back. I'm starving. Well, that's an unexpected sight, really.”

Rhaine whistled. “Not that I'd interfere here, Arch Mage.”

The duo found Sylus lifted from the ground by both blades. Retribution stuck in his back and Redemption through his chest. Little white lights danced around the blades and Sylus's body. Black fur slowly flowed into the twin blades.

“I wasn't planning on it. Just curious.” Topaz fluttered in place and watched the miracle of life, placing a hand on her still flat belly.

“And I'll get back to my own lair, brew myself a cup of coffee, and sit watching the waves.” Rhaine watched calmly.

Below them bones snapped and shifted as the wolf body reverted back to his human, the little lights apparently healed damage along the body. Then Sylus crashed heavily to the ground naked as a jaybird. Slowly the blades pulled themselves from his body, the wounds closing instantly, and took their respective places in his right and left hands. Sylus was unconscious but breathing steadily.

“Wow, to witness this is definitely worth being chased by natives and one eyed giants.”

“True. We can get him to Rhydin if you like, or make him wake up first.”

“He's not dressed for town.”

Rhaine narrowed her eyes and a sneaky grin came to her lips. “There'd be something onboard Dar'Sai.” As if on cue the ship glided over their heads. “Let's move out.”

“Wise suggestion.” Topaz grinned. The sounds of trees crashing to the ground could only mean that Ulgu had recovered from his fall. “Can you carry Sylus?”

A column of light descended on the ground and to Sylus. “She will.” Rhaine looked up as the light snuffed the shifter into the ship. “Reverse-grav escalator. After you, Arch Mage.”

Topaz chuckled at Rhaine’s overdone but inviting gesture and flew up and through the hatch. “That was quite more than we expected.” She offered once they were in the ship.

Rhaine shrugged as the ship sealed the entry behind them all. “Perhaps.” Then she walked into the pilot's compartment. “Stealth mode and head to Rhydin, Keith.”

Topaz plopped a caramel into her mouth and sat down, waiting for Rhaine to tell her what happened inside the temple.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

A Surprise For Lucien

It was finally finished. Topaz had been careful to work on it while Lucien broke contact with her when he was dealing with Vampyres and the rest of the time covered the thoughts regarding the surprise with tissue paper and a bow. Now though she could barely contain her excitement and was eagerly awaiting the moment she could show her surprise to Lucien.

The nights in the Valley were already very long. Soon days would see the sun merely rise part way over the horizon and then disappear again before it had a chance to dispel the wintry twilight. Topaz would enjoy those long nights if it wasn’t for Lucien being out on patrol in the Valley.

She was glad that Lucien had decided patrol time was over before dawn. The moment he solidified in the Beacon’s hall she fluttered very unlike a commander into his arms.

“And what mischief have you been engaged in tonight my love?” His voice was low and for her ears only as he slipped both arms around her.

”The same as always.” She answered with a smug grin, leaning against him. “No adventuring to save possessed mages at all. I've something to show you though, if we have a little time.”

“I have all the time in the world.” He nibbled at the column of her throat.

”Mmm, obviously.” His kisses reminded her that she was hungry. But she was too excited to think of eating. She reached up to undo the cord holding back his hair. “And you show it so well. It's in the dungeon.”

Lucien turned his head to kiss her fingers. “The dungeon?”

”Yes, the Beacon has such a thing, even if it's mostly furniture storage these days.” With an impish grin she reached for his hand. “We probably should go before you distract me any further, and we've given the guards enough to gossip about already.”

”Let them gossip... it is appropriate, you are my mate.” But he curled his fingers around her hand. “The dungeon.” He shook his head.

”Yes, very appropriate. Off we go to the dungeon and below.” With a soft chuckle Topaz led him down stone steps, along a surprisingly clean dungeon hallway and down more steps. She did not mind the positive gossip. “Did you come across anything while on patrol that might explain the rumors of an oversized cow menacing the farms?”

Lucien quirked a brow at her as they descend into the bowels of the castle. To call the lower level of the fortress a dungeon was definitely misleading. “Oversized cows? Have the giants invaded the valley?”

”If one's to believe the rumors, yes. I am hoping it's nothing more than one of your Vampyres having a little fun scaring the towns’ people. One of them could make some odd tracks, couldn't it?” Obviously she found the ugly Vampyres a lot less scary than a demon size cow.

”I missed any references, but I shall keep an eye open for such invaders.” The stairs seemed to go on forever. They and the stairwell also looked and smelled new, not showing any signs of wear and use as the first set of stairs did.

”Thank you, love. Maybe I should have asked Ulgu to spend a little time in the valley and invite him to play with this rumored cow. Your vampires would probably leave him alone, too.” Topaz chatted mostly to keep herself from giving away her surprise too soon by thinking of it and trying to guess Lucien’s reaction.

“Who is Ulgu?” Lucien gave her a suspicious look as they finally arrived at the bottom of the stairs and paused before what appeared to be a cellar door.

”That swamp creature that thought of me as a pretty bug and a toy.” Ulgu was the name of the Cyclops Topaz had met and almost made friends with when Rhaine and she had gone to the swamp to fetch Artemus’s book.

“It doesn't have any wards yet. I thought you'd rather use your own, so I didn't bother.” She opened the door wide and stood aside to allow Lucien to enter first.

”Swamp creatures are not to be played with Topaz.” He stepped into the room at her invitation. It was an office, arranged much like Topaz's office upstairs, with the addition of a second desk and chair. Another, much nicer looking door in the opposite wall suggested another room beyond the office

“It wasn't like I could have defeated it any other way.” Play was one of the fae strong points, and the tactic had served her well so far. Topaz watched Lucien’s reaction closely, wondering if the surprise was successful and if he liked what he saw.

His eyes surveyed the office area as he pulled her closer to his side. “It's wonderful.”

“There is more.” She smiled up to him and slid an arm around his middle.

Lucien chuckled. “You've been keeping this from me.”

”Not really. You're just way too polite to peak under tissue paper.” She gave him a little wink before they walked to the other door that opened to more stairs. It had taken months to tease the stair wells and rooms from the rock. It would have been impossible for Topaz to keep the project a secret without the sentient magic that kept at a task once they agreed to one.

At its bottom the stair way opened into a somewhat smaller but nearly identical copy of their bed room at the palazzo.

”Look,” Topaz pointed with a proud smile, “I've found the rich black soil you like, too.”

Lucien kissed the top of her head. “Privacy is important to humans, so I try to give you some of yours.” His black gaze surveyed the replica of the room at the palazzo, and then turned to her with a slow smile. “The only thing missing is breaking it in properly.”

“I'm a fairy.” She chuckled softly, tousling his hair. She loved surprising him with presents as much as she loved getting present. “But I do like a chance to surprise you occasionally. So you like it?” She wrapped her arms around his neck, and with a little flutter was eye to eye with him.

He wrapped his arms tightly around her. “I love it.”

“Now we don't have to hurry back to Rhydin every time the sun comes up.” She smiled happily into his dark eyes. “No one really knows it's here either. Everyone thought I was searching for something in the dungeon storage rooms.”

“So I see.” He picked her up and floated toward the bed.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

An Afternoon Of Surprises

“We should go see if we need new pompoms or if the old ones will do it for another season.” Topaz had met up with Rena on Twilight Isle earlier and now the two women were heading for the Atrebla Arena, to make sure it was set for the opening of the team dueling season.

“Maybe get some new to go with the old, just to be safe.” Rena gave a little chuckle at a private thought.

“We wouldn't want them to fall apart when we wave them.”

“Yeah, we wouldn't want Gnim to get upset at the loss.” The little lizard came waddling along, having deftly escaped the notice of his gnome.

“Oh look, it's Drakhan! Hello there. Where's Gnim?” The drooler gave the observant fairy an innocent, blank look.

“He needed a break. The gnome works him too hard.” Both laughed at the accusation.

“Maybe we can teach Drakhan to wave a pompom, what do you think? It should get him even more treats.” Though Drakhan was certainly getting spoiled with sweets and steak already.

“He gets enough as it is.” Rena replied with a soft smile. “Just wait till they see the pies.”

A bit surprised to have run into his two favorite caramel buddies on his little escape but not about to complain, Drakhan waddled right up to them with a big, drooly grin. He was not quite sure what a pompom was, but would probably wave one if it meant caramels for him.

“Let's get going then. Yes, you can come along, too, Drakhan. I'm sure we'll find you some treats at our arena, too.”

Drakhan drooled a little puddle in response to the fairy and decided to follow along. He had no idea where he was being led off to, but he assumed that there were to be treats at the end and so he did his best to keep up as the women headed for the nearest portal and through it to the Atrebla Valley.

Rena started to hum “Over the River and Through the Woods" and after a while Topaz sang along, out of tune - or maybe it was in harmony? - making up new words for the parts of the song she didn’t know.

“So just what are we going to do here?” Then Rena wandered off on a tangent. “I hate Mathias isn't coming back.”

Drakhan would have given the obvious answer of ‘we’re getting more caramels', but it's hard to talk with a mouthful of drool, so he just kept waddling along.

Topaz’s answer differed from the one Drakhan would have given. “We're going to check on the arena, and see what we need to order for the season. We do want well stocked locker rooms and a well stocked bar, don't we? It would be horrible were one to step from the whirl pool and find that there's no towel.”

At Rena’s nod she changed the subject. “We sure picked a nice morning for a bit of a walk. But it sure is getting a little chilly.” What the fairy called a little chilly carried the smell of snow. “How do you like the fresh mountain air, Drakhan?”

A bit impatient on their little journey, Drakhan nudged Rena's leg in search of the promised caramels. Rena, glad that she wore a jacket, reached into her pocket and pulled out a caramel or two and dropped them to the lizard.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“I wonder ... what kind of pie should Michelle bake for Drakhan?” Drakhan looked at the fairy and gave a big drooly grin. He was not really one to mind cold weather, especially not when a caramel or two were tossed his way!

“Caramel, of course.” Rena glanced around, enjoying the view. “I like mountains.”

“Caramel pie,” Topaz chuckled, “that does sound good. We're making Drakhan hungry with our talk of pies.”

“So why haven't you joined a Tour team?” Rena obligingly changed the subject.

“Oh my.” Topaz muttered under her breath instead of answering. Drakhan had stepped unwittingly into an oversized hoof print.

“What?” Rena paused.

“See that?” Topaz pointed, sounding slightly concerned and disappointed, but not surprised. “I had started to hope it was something the Vampyre made up.”

“What vampires?” Rena picked up the mild alarm from the fairy.

“Oh, just a bit of trouble I got into the other day. Nothing to worry about. Anyway, it's bright daylight. Vampyre can't be out in it.” Lucien had not even bothered to ‘protect’ her from the weak fledgling, and the ‘trouble’ had been over almost before it started. Lucien had been busy trying to track the master Vampyre at the time, which must have sent out the bait merely to test the waters.

Rena and Drakhan both glanced up and around. So they too had heard it, Topaz thought. “You're not worried about the vampires, are you?”

Rena’s left hand went up to block the sun as she faced right and then pointed. “No, but the spot over there seems to be moving.”

“Where?” Topaz peered where Rena was pointing, but even before she spotted the movement, what had been a faint thudding a moment ago had turned into a rather obvious crashing sound. Topaz knew that is was too early in the season for the sound to be that of an avalanche. "Uh oh."

Drakhan climbed out of the hoof print and turned to his right in the direction of the crashing sound. It was rather easy to tell which direction it was coming from now. He drooled a puddle on the ground out of curiosity and watched a tree or two toppling over as the sound moved closer.

‘Nah, that's just silly.’ Drakhan shook his head, spraying drool all over the place, and looked again. A path of trees was pushed aside. Apparently it wasn’t just his eyes, though. He could quite clearly make out the shape of what seemed to be a very large, very angry... cow (?) barreling toward them. Any other day he might have been thrilled to see a free cow running right for him, but this one was just a tad larger than what would make for a meal. In fact, one might call it huge. The little lizard turned to his caramel buddies, and back to the belligerent bovine coming his way.

She took a step back. “Oh geez. He looks angry. Did we do something?” She turned to run as Topaz fluttered her wings and took to the air.

“Look appetizing perhaps.” Topaz did not go far, just out of the way, before she turned and cast a mage bolt to zap the odd looking creature.

“Mad cow disease?” Rena called back, having stopped at the forest line.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

The mad cow paused as it cleared the line of trees, and snorted and pawed at the three little intruders before it. Though it most closely resembled a cow, it had a few pieces to it that looked more likely to belong to a demon than a cow. The beast did not take kindly to that mage bolt either, the fairy observed. The magical assault had succeeded only in singing away a chunk of hair on its flank. Not that it had much hair; much of its skin appeared severely burnt or scarred in some way.

“More like messed up portal disease.” In Topaz’s estimation, this was a few degrees worse than Vampyre. “Well, that thing just has to go. I don't want it to eat our opponents, or the people in town.”

“So it would have gotten messed up coming through the portal? I'm going to have to find a new way to get to the Isle if that can happen.”

“No, not this one, the one to Krondor.” Topaz tried to calm Rena’s worry. “And likely, it just spent some time in the area around it rather than step through the portal.” The now madder cow turned and set its sights on the attacking fairy, lowered its head at her and let loose a loud, bellowing series of snorts at her.

“Hmm, that didn't do much good.” Topaz tried a ray of negative energy, still searching for a useful strategy. She was wearing her rapier, but by size comparison that would not even make a decent tooth pick for the creature.

“You know, I didn't come prepared for a BBQ.” Rena looked around for a weapon and found a good size branch on the ground. She grabbed the knife she received as a prize from Imp last year and began to shape a point at the tip of the branch.

The little lizard just looked up, way up, at the angry cow and tried to think of a way out of this but couldn’t come up with one. With a lizardly shrug he figured that the gnome didn't have to know if he slipped up just a little bit.

“BBQ.” Topaz had to laugh despite the situation. The nether ray didn't appear to have slowed the beast either. But the cow got angrier by the second at the spells from the fairy.

A black mist began to flow out from the little lizard, seemingly right from his scales, and continued expanding into a large cloud.

“Well something had better work.” Topaz tried to set fire to the demon look-alike with an immolation spell as the enraged bovine charged at her. But it ran straight through the flames, paying them pretty much no mind. Its already scarred and blistered hide didn’t mind much if it was burned further.

Rena started to run toward the cow, thinking that a good throw at the throat might do some damage, and then stopped. She watched the lizard. “Well, damn.”

Topaz smiled as she looked to Rena and Drakhan. She opened her mouth to express her gratitude to Drakhan but then the charging beast distracted her again.

The large black cloud ceased to expand an instant before it scattered completely. With one flap of a great pair of wings an extremely angry Drakhan streaked out of the cloud and straight into the flank of the bovine attacking his caramel-buddy.

“Damn.” She muttered again. “Going to have a good long talk with the gnome next time I see him.” Rena felt out of sorts, having no kind of power or something. Wisely, she ran back to the tree line and watched.

“Great idea, Drakhan. Knock it off its legs.” Topaz watched the suddenly gracefully moving Drakhan with quite a bit of relief. Only the charge had not quite worked that way.

“Absurd.” Drakhan gave a contemptuous snort at the huge bovine. Surprised, but not exactly hurt, the cow recovered and whipped its head around at the new arrival, forgetting about the little burning things from the fairy.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Topaz switched back to pelting the beast with mage bolts and nether rays, knowing they'd hit the cow rather than the black dragon no matter if her aim was off or not.

“Oh geez...he's talking.” Rena had never before seen Drakhan in his true form and was accordingly surprised. Recovered sufficiently from shock and surprise, ran out of the trees and aimed for the front leg, throwing the makeshift spear as hard as she could, and then turned right back for the cover of the trees. Her aim had been true, but the make shift spear failed to penetrate the hide of the beast.

Perhaps smarter than it looked, the huge bovine stomped and made a short charge at the dragon. Its odd, deformed horns pointed almost straight forward like spears and forced the great black to move to the side, leaving the path open for the cow to set his sights on the other tasty morsel, the one who just landed a spear right into his knee. The demon look-alike snorted and released a cloud of noxious gasses.

“Nasty stuff.” Topaz coughed and retreated a bit to avoid taking another breath of the fouled air.

Frustrated that he couldn’t just take this to the air, the black snapped his wings against his back and moved to intercept the bovine. He reached out for a horn and yanked it to the side, getting a whiff of the awful smell.

“Ah hell.” Rena glanced around a minute before she found a tall tree well inside the forest and made like a squirrel, climbing it.

Drakhan let out another unimpressed snort at the giant cow, thinking to himself that if it wanted to play that game, then ... He roughly released the horn and inhaled sharply.

“Oh.” That was a familiar sound of warning to Topaz and she hurried to get well out of the dragon’s way. Just in time, too. For the dragon already had thrust his head forward and released that breath, spraying the cow right in the face with a cloud of acid.

Drakhan stepped back and gave a toothy grin as the cow shook its head violently. However, he was completely unprepared for the cow to shake off the effects of the acid and come charging, undaunted, and straight at him. The cloud had seared off whatever was left of the hair on the bovine, but seemed to have as much effect as the fairy's fire spells.

‘Did everyone know the lizard could do that but me?’ Rena wondered as she resumed her climb and then found a spot from where she could see what was going on, shaking her head again.

Drakhan twisted to the side again to avoid the charging horns but he was taken by surprise this time and caught the left horn right in the shoulder. The malformed thing pierced right through the scales and into the muscle.

“Oops. Well, what else to try?” Topaz got inventive and cast an introverted shield around the cow. Spell effects and missiles would get in but not out. Perhaps the thing would choke on its own foul breath, she hoped.

Rena winced at the attack Drakhan took, wishing there was something she could do. But she knew that she would only get in the way.

Furious at the attack but mostly at himself, the great black threw his head back and roared before he inhaled sharply once more and took hold of the cow's head and clamped his jaws down on its neck.

Drakhan tore a huge gash in the neck of the beast and practically injected the acid into it before he released it again and fell backwards. The horn slid out of his wound and the sentient magic bits went to work on it. Topaz’s first aid micro shields kept him from bleeding but did nothing against the pain. Unlike 'band aids' the tiny shields were in constant motion, like ping pong paddles they relentlessly redirected each droplet of blood that wanted to escape back into its blood vessel.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

The over-sized bovine snorted again, but this time the noxious fumes stayed inside the introverted shield, only bothering the beast instead of them.

Drakhan took a few steps back, wary of the giant bovine now and preferring to see if he's had any effect while letting the shields do what they could about the small tree trunk sized hole in his shoulder. He lowered his head and glared at the giant beast. He was not about to be surprised again.

The beast thrashed about angrily, breathing its own noxious fumes and the dragon acid ran through its veins.

Drakhan glanced down at the fairy, nodded, and then looked about for Rena, hoping she didn't get squashed. The cow’s thrashing finally seemed to slow a bit and to weaken, the fumes and acid slowly but surely doing their agonizing, debilitating work on its insides.

“She went thataway.” Topaz pointed vaguely at the tree line for Drakhan.

Rena shook a branch of the tree that had become her home for the time being, letting them know she was there.

Topaz sought to hurry along the creature's demise – there was no point in prolonged agony - and formed a shield into a spear, size appropriate for the demon look-alike, and gave it substance. The result was, of course, way too heavy for the fairy to wield with muscle power.

Drakhan glanced over at the trees and caught sight of his other caramel buddy. He grinned before he turned back to the cow, now a twitching, deformed, smoking mess of blisters and scars, but still it refused to actually perish.

“Can you do something with that, Drakhan?”

The dragon flashed rows of teeth at the fairy in response. He picked up on her idea and took the spear in his one good arm before he stomped over to the disgusting creature. Unceremoniously he thrust it through the front part of its body and pinned it to the ground, hopeful that he had pierced something vital in the process.

The beast let out a blood curdling scream and Topaz pressed her hands to her ears. Drakhan, however, seemed wholly uninterested in the beast or in its pathetic screaming now and simply turned and stomped away from it. As the scream died, so did the creature.

Drakhan made his way over to the tree where Rena was hiding and reached up with his right claw to give her a way out of the tree. He almost completely forgot the beast already; fallen opponents were banished from his mind almost instantly as unworthy.

Rena loosened her grip on the tree and climbed onto the claw. “We are so going to have a talk soon.” She received one of those big, toothy grins, but it just wasn't the same when it was more like little swords than teeth grinning at you. Then Drakhan headed back over to the fairy and set the tree-climbing lady down.

“Thank you, Drakhan. How's that hole in your shoulder?” But the fairy kept eye on the dead appearing beast.

Drakhan shrugged at the fairy, though only with his right shoulder. “I'll be fine... the gnome won't be pleased.”

“Gnim will be grumbling and worried and immensely proud.” Topaz turned and kind of hugged the dragon's scaly neck – she was just a tiny fairy in comparison.

“Besides, I'll take care of the gnome. He'll get over it.” Rena chuckled slightly. “Geez.”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Drakhan let out a chuckle at that, more of a rumbling sort of thunder sound, doing his best to ignore the hole in his left shoulder. It was quite painful now despite the first aid work.

“We have some healers at the Beacon. One of them is sure to be able to fix that.” Topaz wondered how much authority or charm she would have to exert to get the healers to work on the black dragon.

“At least there's a good excuse.” Drakhan shook his massive head and decided that he'd better get into a more carrying-friendly form just in case.

Rena waved Drakhan down, hoping that he could at least get to her level. He lowered his head down to his caramel buddy and Rena placed her hands on his left shoulder, closed her eyes and started to hum softly. Today was just going to be full of surprises.

“Wow, I had no idea.” Topaz blinked in surprise and then watched in awe. Rena had never mentioning this particular talent before.

Drakhan wondered if she was going to sing him a lullaby as he was feeling rather tired. But only for a moment, until he felt the pain lessen. He was actually quite impressed, because he had never really seen any sort of healing in person before. He gave another toothy, appreciative grin to the surprising human.

Rena fell back slightly then, but caught her balance before she took a dive to the ground. “Hopefully that will hold for a while.”

“I think we should go find one of those healers and something to eat before checking on the pompoms. What do you say?” It was also starting to get dark, and Topaz wanted to be out of the open before twilight completely turned into night.

“I agree.” Rena said softly and Drakhan nodded his huge head.

Black mist once again flowed out from Drakhan’s scales and obfuscated the great black before it seeped down into the ground and left the small, drooling lizard behind. The act of shifting at least caused the wound to shrink considerably, but it was by no means absent. He waddled over, mostly on three legs, and gave Rena's foot a big, drooly lick before he flopped down on the ground, exhausted.

With a soft chuckle Rena glanced down to Drakhan.

“Do we play rock paper scissors to see who gets to carry Drakhan?” Topaz looked from Drakhan to Rena.

“I'll carry him, as long as he stops drooling.” Rena grinned.

“He won't.” With a chuckle Topaz picked up the drooling lizard. “Okay, off we go.”

They arrived at the Beacon without another incident a short while later. Before long a healer was found to take care of the lizard's wound. Though there was some head shaking, the healer did obey the commander's order to heal the drooling lizard.

By the time Drakhan was fixed up someone had brought over dinner from the Beacon's kitchen, including everything a spoiled pet lizard might like and a detail had been sent out to remove and destroy the carcass of the odd beast.

“Yes, the life of a lizard being spoiled by lovely ladies is a good one.” Drakhan thought to himself.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

High Heels

Topaz stepped onto the Isle from the portal for once and headed for the dueling area. By the time she had waved to Azjah and plopped onto a couch a goblin had pressed a cup of steaming hot coffee into her hands.

”Good evening Topaz. You look tired tonight.”

”Good evening, Azjah.” She smiled back before she carefully sipped from her cup, studying Azjah to evaluate the degree of recovery of her friend. Azjah did look remarkably well considering the ordeal she had gone through. “I'm always tired these days. It's getting to be winter. The Valley had plenty of snow already.” She was used to sleep more during the cold season, but she had also been unexpectedly busy over the last few weeks. With a grin she added, “The Isle with its permanent spring is nice, though.”

”Winter wears thusly upon you?” Azjah sent a goblin for scotch.

”Hmm, not quite this bad, usually, but a growing baby uses up a lot of energy.” The magic for a new magical creature had to come from somewhere. In this case Topaz was the source. She could not have been much more exhausted if she was working magic every waking moment.

Azjah closed her eyes a moment before she took the scotch from the goblin. “I see.”

”How are you doing?” Topaz leaned forward slightly and asked with far more interest than the question was commonly asked with.

“I am functional. “ Azjah replied with a vague shrug.

“The rest will work itself out with time, too. You certainly are starting to look a lot better.” Topaz smiled and nodded at the short answer. Functional was certainly an improvement; fine and happy would return eventually.

”Thank you.” She took a zip of the scotch. “I feel better.”

”That makes me glad. And just in time for all the Yule goodies, too.” Yule had always been one of Topaz’s favorite seasons, the other one being spring.

”I will be returning to Rigel but I wish you a fine Yule season.”

“Thank you, I wish you the same, of course.” The warm smile in thanks for the wish – now it would indeed be a fine Yule Season – was a replaced by a more serious look. ”Don't let that emperor mess wih you or your holiday fun.” That bit of news Topaz couldn’t like. Though she could not be sure that the emperor had anything to do with it, she was sure that all of Azjah’s recent troubles had somehow started at Rigel.

”The Emperor will host most of the festivities, but he is aware of my situation.”

“He had better be nice about it, too.” Topaz wasn’t so sure that his awareness was a good thing. Perhaps the crowned oaf had offered her chair and an insincere compliment with a pointed look at her belly and then generously excused her presense from a fun affair so she’d not overtax her pregnant self. Such would certainly explain a lot.

”He is always ... considerate.”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Azjah’s hesitation spoke volumes. Topaz knew well how abrasive and socially deadly some considerations should be. Rhaine’s arrival just then enabled her to keep those uncharitable thoughts to herself. Topaz waved a greeting to her.

”Good evening Rhaine. It has been a long time.”

"Good evening, Marchioness.” Rhaine, still wearing the official style black dress, beamed a smile to Azjah and gave a slight bow.

”You are well?”

Rhaine found a place to sit on the sand before she replied with a fanged grin. “Hardly got out of that headache-causing boring chitchat. Well as always but mortally bored.”

”Be careful what you wish for.”

”Bored is not a nice thing to be.” Topaz chuckled softly, agreeing with both. “Right, could always go back to the swamp. Maybe that Ulgu is still there if the weird scaly things have disappeared.”

”Interesting idea.”

“Ulgu?” Azjah lifted a pale brow.

“It shouldn't be interesting, Rhaine, it should be a distasteful idea.” Topaz shook her head laughing. “Oh, just some baby, oh, what are those things called, Rhaine?”

”No idea about their correct classification. Cyclops is standard name.” Rhaine supplied the information.

”Ah, yes, one of those. Rather cute, really, though a little on the large side.” Topaz grinned at the memory.

Azjah took a sip of the scotch, and then choked. “Cyclops? I thought those were the thing of legend and myth.”

Topaz had to giggle at Azjah’s statement and expression. “Uhm, like fairies and vampires?” She waved to Tass who just arrived. “And dragons?”

”Something like that." Azjah gave her a wry smile before she turned to Tass. “Good evening Lord Momus.” Tass took a seat next to Azjah after greetings had been exchanged all around. ”I have never seen such a thing here in RhyDin.”

”Better not see them. Ugly being. From all points of view.”

”I shall take your word on that Rhaine.”

”Not so much ugly, but clumsy. Not at all convenient to have around lots of little flightless things.” Topaz did not share Rhaine’s entirely negative evaluation.

“How is that spell design working?” Rhaine asked quietly of Topaz while Azjah and Tass distracted each other.

“I have most the details worked out and started talking with the magic. A little more practice won't hurt, but I think we're basically ready.” The fairy replied just as quietly.

”We need third part of system.”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

”We need someone to enter the rings.” Azjah remarked with a glance around the isle.

“Be careful what you wish for.” Topaz winked to Azjah. “I called eight duels last week Tuesday and almost that many last Monday.”

”I could use something to keep my mind occupied Topaz.” Azjah insisted with a smile.

“Of course.” Though eventually Azjah would have to work through the recent events in her life. Distractions would not permit a complete recovery.

”Were I at home, I could fight with Kendrick 2.0.”

“Kendrick 2.0? Is that a droid?” Rhaine blinked at the name.

”I wish Rhaine. It is a virus implanted into my systems some months ago. We cannot seem to rid ourselves of it. We have been trying, but thus far, no success.

”It is keeping Lucien busy, too.” Topaz frowned a little at that. Azjah was certainly full of wishes this evening, but what would she do with an animated pile of metal?

”It's kept us all busy. It's even managed to get into all of the onboard ship systems.”

”Cool. So the programmer was a smart one.”

”Yes, you might say that Rhaine. I only wish I had a smarter programmer to get rid of it.”

“I could have ordered one of my employees to check it out. He's been born for such things and loves the challenge.”

Topaz appeared to turn her attention to her coffee for the time being. Lucien and Gabriel together had not been able to rid Azjah’s flickering box and ship of the creature, so it was not likely that Rhaine’s employee could. She wondered if the fae magic could rid the flicker box of its possession like she had planned with Rhaine to rid Artemus of Errtu and posed the question to the sentient bits.

”But allowing him to deal with that... hell, that's a violation of security policy.”

”Who's security policy?”

Topaz never heard Rhaine’s reply, because just then Lucien arrived and she focused her undivided attention on him.

Lucien faded into the visible spectrum and his obsidian eyes landed unerringly on his mate just as she glanced up from her coffee cup. She quickly handed the cup off to a goblin and stood up. He moved to her side. “Good evening my dear, you look radiant.”

“Thank you.” Topaz beamed a smile up to him and wrapped her arms around his middle. “I don't feel radiant though.”

”No?” He slid both arms around her. “What may I do to change that?”
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“I don't know, make it be spring, sleep some for me ... “ She chuckled softly at that. “I'm sure it'll be better once baby quits growing quite so quickly. Baby really needs to have a name.”

”And what would you desire in the child's name?”

”It needs to fit, of course and be pretty.” She tugged gently at him to sit down. Instead, and to her delight, he scooped her up and headed for a chaise.

”I don't think I'll ever tire of you doing that.” In a gentle gesture she rubbed her cheek against his shoulder.

”Good.” He settled onto the chaise with her in his lap.

“The fortune teller said Baby would be a girl.” Topaz offered once they both were comfortable.

Lucien gave her a smile. “So you are saying we need a feminine name for her? What if she is homely as a horse?”

“How could she be that looking a little like you and a little like me?” She giggled, wondering where he had come up with that idea.

”Recessive genes?”

”You're ancestors were horses?” She tried teasing him back.

”Perhaps.” His slow smile was incredibly sexy.

“I am not believing that. Maybe we should pick two names, just in case the fortune teller is wrong.”

“You never can tell.” He slid his fingers through her hair.

”Oh, I'm learning to be able to tell when you're teasing.” She gave him a wink.

”The fortune teller is not wrong.”

”You peeked?” That thought was comforting. If he kept ‘peeking’, he’d also know if anything wasn’t as it should be and probably could fix it. But he wasn’t supposed to be keeping secrets, not that kind anyway, she thought. The ‘oh so innocent’ look he gave her only confirmed her suspicion and she gently tapped his nose with a fingertip. “I miss so much taking all these naps. So what does our girl look like?”

”Right now? A horse fetus.”

“That can’t be right.” She sounded incredulous.

“You will have to wait and see.” His smile was definitely of the bemused kind.

”I'm going to have night mares now.” She tried to look as serious as he did when he was teasing, but her eyes twinkled. “What name would you like?”

Slowly he traced her lips with his finger tip. “No, you will not have night mares, I shall not allow such to happen.”

Return to “Atrebla”