Tales from the Atreblan Valley

Moderator: Michelle Montoya

Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Blooms - A Return

Post by Topaz »

Greetings Topaz,
Mi'lady, I have been gone for quite some time, I know, but in this following week I shall be returning to battle in the arena once again. Though the letters scribbled upon this parchment are most likely alien to you when you see my face you shall once again remember who it is that I am. To give you but a hint I shall refresh your memory. I am an old friend of yours, a bit flirtatious mind you, but a friend none the less. Perhaps you remember the armor that I had worn. Midnight-blue plate armor with black and gold ivy inlaid into the metal. Perhaps maybe the name of my lost and broken sword will bring the memories flooding back, or perhaps the one I used at other times. Crysomer and Valinor. If still you do not know me then send missive back to me. In this missive please tell me when the Duel of Swords will meet next and at what time I should present myself to you in the Arena. I shall end this letter with the hope that I shall see you soon, for you have been in my mind through my ordeals most of every day. For when we gaze upon each other once more.
Arrisian Kyle-Caltarr
Lord of Norminglade
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Greetings Arrisian Caltarr, Lord of Norminglade
Though I know I never called you that before. Welcome back. Though each blade was also wielded by another hand than yours, only one man can say to have wielded both and worn that particular armor. I am looking forward to seeing you again, your company, and to hear your story about the change of name and fortune. You picked an excellent time for your return. The Duel of Swords will not meet again for official dueling until Thursday at eight by the eastern clock. But this Thursday you will not find me there. This is also the third week of the TDL season and I will be attending the meeting of Atrabla and Why is the Moon at the home arena of Why is the Moon. But at least some patrons will be at the arena this evening at nine by the eastern clock to watch the Overlord Challenge of Karen Wilder to Anubis Karo. I would be delighted should I not have to wait until Friday before we get to meet again.
With fond regards, Topaz
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Baroness Topaz,
You do me honor with your words. Though I have many things to do since my recent return, I will do my best to come and spectate your match of teams this Thursday night. I wish Atrabla luck if I am unable to attend. Now on to more matters, relating to the change of name and fortune. I must ask that you tell no one that I am the same man of Martafan Illusian Faxfallen or as I was more commonly known as Daryl Kyle. I will be more than happy to explain this request when we have time to sit and to talk to each other.
With Hopes of Thursday,
Arrisian Kyle-Caltarr
Lord of Norminglade
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Arrisian,
I see you have already found out about my current connection with the Eighth and it no longer will be news to surprise you with.
It will be difficult to contain my joy at your return to the rings and keep it to myself. But I shall practice calling you by your new name, in the hope that I will not let anything slip by accident in public. Arrisian - it does roll easy of the tongue. I will make it a point to ask the reason for the request of secrecy when we meet in person.
With fond regards, Topaz
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

They did meet that Tuesday evening in the arena during the Overlord challenge match. Though the meeting did not go exactly as either had imagined. The need for secrecy about his identity had Arrisian go out heavily cloaked. The hood of his cloak was carefully arranged to hide his features. It was his voice by which Topaz first recognized him.

The then Overlord Anubis had opted to test the worth of the then challenger Karen Wilder. That caused a stir in the audience. Though Cletus and Xenograg, the other two renegade Barons had also declined to intervene for the challenger, some people in the audience decided to find fault with Topaz declining as well. Max Blue was so angered by Topaz’s none action and explanation, he stormed out of the arena in a huff. Arrisian, too, challenged Topaz to change her mind. But, unlike Max, he took Topaz’s explanation and unwavering stand in stride.

Once he had accepted the fairy’s invitation to share her table, she informed him of her reasoning. Prior to stepping into the ring of challenge Karen Wilder had declared she would accept loyalty from no one not of the catholic faith. Topaz saw no reason to help a challenger to the title she would not be loyal to. From that point on Arrisian and Topaz enjoyed watching the evening’s duels together.

Karen did win the test and in the next match against Anubis the Overlord title. After Topaz had discharged her obligations to the old and new Overlords, the pair moved to the Twin Rapiers Crossing to enjoy the rest of the evening with more private conversation and a couple glasses of very fine brandy.

Arrisian entertained Topaz with the story that explained the name change from Martafan to Arrisian and the need for secrecy. He also explained to her his thoughts of her during his journey. In turn Topaz told him a little of the recent events in her life. Time passed all too quickly. In the wee hours they arranged for Arrisian to stay in one of the Beacon’s many guest rooms and wished each other a good night. Arrisian brushed his lips – all too briefly – against Topaz’s before they parted for the night.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

They had not arranged for another meeting, but they managed to meet in the Beacon’s kitchen to share the first meal of the new day. It was some time after Arrisian had left the Beacon before it occurred to Topaz that again neither had dared to ask when or if they would meet again. She casually inquired of the staff if Arrisian had cleared the room or if he was expected to return. Once informed that he had left some of his belongings behind, the fairy decided to stay in that evening. She could pass the time reading in the library, with the door to the hall open, so she would not miss Arrisian’s return.

In the middle of the afternoon a bouquet of two dozen pink and red roses were brought to Topaz’s office. There was no card with them. But they could only be from Arrisian. It had been years since Topaz had been sent flowers.

The roses, more so than the kiss of the evening before and the endearments Arrisian that fell so easily from Arrisian’s lips, made Topaz examine the situation. Arrisian was a flirt and a romantic. How much of that which he lavished on her was casual and simply the way he’d treat anyone and how much of it could possibly be a sign of deeper emotion? His pulse had quickened briefly when she had put her hand on his arm while he had told her of his fight with Slade. But that by itself and a half a day shared was not enough to go on to wager a guess at the depth of emotions. And what about her own feelings? Did they go deeper than friendship and being thoroughly flattered by his attention. Was she ready to take the risk of investing deep feelings again. Topaz knew very well that she longed for someone to share life with, to again be as happy as she was in her marriage with Krollon. Romantic relationships since Krollon had lost his life had been few and far in-between for her, and none had been satisfying. She did not want another affair, of that much she was certain.

She would let him know she liked his gift of roses by wearing one of the blossoms in her hair this evening and trust that what was meant to happen eventually would.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

That evening Topaz took herself to the Beacon library. Leaving the door to the hall ajar, she picked a book at random and made herself comfortable on the couch by the fireplace. She listened to the familiar sounds coming from the hall and was confident she would be able to pick out steps not belonging to the staff or guards. At some point a kind soul thought to bring her a cup of coffee.

She did not have a long wait before the awaited footsteps echoed in the hall. Topaz jumped to her feet, slowing her steps to a casual walk once she reached the door to the hall to avoid giving the impression she had been waiting for Arrisian, and greeted him with a warm smile. Though she was not aware of doing so, Arrisian did not miss the light coming to her eyes as she saw him. Neither did he miss the look of concern on her features the moment she noticed the bruises on his face.

A couple of light hearted remarks from him put the ready smile back on her lips, an explanation of how he discharges the wards when he duels, and he was only too happy to let her work some magic on his injuries. Topaz led him into the library and made him sit on the couch while she sat on the table in front of him.

He bared his upper body to let her examine those injuries as well as those on his face and took the opportunity of her concentrating on working her magic to study her closely. As soon as she had tied of the last magic working, and before she quite knew how it had happened, Topaz found herself sitting on Arrisian’s lap and being thoroughly kissed.

Arrisian, of course, had the evening planned out. He had disabled the wards so that he would get hurt a little. He knew that Topaz would want to ‘heal’ him and he knew that doing so would take some concentration on her part. He quickly took advantage of the situation, knowing little about her magic but enough to know when he could strike without breaking her concentration. With one deft movement he had her on his lap, her body pressed to his, drawing her into a deep romantic kiss. That was the setting for the night he had planned: romance.

He quite took her breath away, and when he finally broke the kiss and leaned back, neither was willing to speak right away. Topaz remained ever so aware of his state of undress and his hands that still were caressing her thighs and hips. Before long, Arrisian asked for the use of the kitchen. His request granted he proceeded to prepare a lavish dinner for two – stuffed duck and luxurious salad followed by exotic chocolates.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Thursday evening Arrisian, though late, managed to attend Atrebla’s week three’s TDL duels. The meeting of the teams as YTM’s home arena was as chaotic and fun as ever TDL matches were. Arrisian’s visit gave the ladies of Atrebla all the excuse they needed to bombard Topaz with questions as soon as Arrisian had to leave. Before long there was no doubt in anyone’s mind among those who listened in on the girls’ conversation, Topaz was well on her way to falling in love.

When the last duel was done Topaz went to the Arena to meet up with Arrisian again. They did not stay long, just barely long enough for a little bit of dueling. Before the arena closed for the night they left hand in hand, taking the long way home at a leisurely pace, enjoying each other’s company.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

The next evening, after the dueling was done, Arrisian led Topaz along a different path. He had walked this path thousands of times before. He didn't even watch where they were walking. This evening he would show Topaz his summer estate, Kyle Manor, or what was left of it. He had not been here in four years.

The place looked accordingly. Even the walls surrounding the place were overgrown. The gate was barely recognizable as such – heavily rusted and barely visible among the foliage. Memories of his nephew, Nicholas, flooded Arrisian as he was hacking away at the vines. Eventually he gave up and used a spell, burning away the plants to get to the gate.

“Fixing it up for me and you will be fun.” Perhaps he should have checked on the condition of the house before showing it to Topaz. But no, he wanted to share his life with the fairy, and this part of his life was no exception.

“Did you just say, fixing it up for you and me will be fun?” Topaz was taken by surprise. He had used endearments instead of her name almost from the start. But she had tried not to read too much meaning into the words. He laughingly confirmed her question.

“What do you think you and me will do with it?” Topaz gave her voice a teasing quality.

“Raise children of course, love.” He made as if to turn away. Though seeing the expression on her face – he must have touched a sore subject - he added quickly, “Just kidding, love. Do you wish for children?”

“I don't know any more. I used to. When Tormay was little.” This obviously was not a subject she was ready to talk about. At least not here and now. His heart felt tight in his chest, the expression on her face and her voice held a world of longing, pain, and worry. He wanted nothing more than to pull her into his arms and make things right for her, just not on the street. He made do with and taking joy in holding her hand as he pushed the gate open. The gate gave a protesting screech but was no match against his determination, and they stepped into the garden.

“As I said before, seven years ago Daryl’s son, Nicholas, died. He is buried over there under that tree along with Marguerite, his first and only love.” He pointed to a large oak toward the back of the house. “But that is not what I brought you here to see, love. Now, keep in mind that since Nicholas's death the grounds were not kept. But hopefully it still stands.”

They walked around the side of the house. Arrisian appeared more apprehensive and excited with each step they took. Then, all of a sudden, he lifted her up and kissed her. The kiss was so full of emotions of love for her and happiness of having her and excitement that it overwhelmed her. For long moments the two embraced one another before finally, slowly and reluctantly he withdrew.

Joy was in his voice as he set her down. “Are you ready to see your surprise, love?” Topaz answered with a nod. Then they turned around the corner of the house.

The sight greeting them quite took her breath away. Her gaze was drawn to the pond. Even at this time of night it looked as if the sun was raining down upon it. The water was clear and clean, lillypads rested quietly on its surface. The trees around it were in full bloom with its white, pink, and red blossoms falling to the ground, lightly coating the ground with the romantic colors. The true surprise though, Arrisian thought, was a swing. Large enough for just two people to sit on nestling in each other's bodies and watch the pond and trees. The white swing rested under a clever canopy. Even in the rain it could be enjoyed. The backrest of the swing was adorned with a picture of Arrisian in battle, holding Crysomer, the sword of his homeland.

The area that they were looking at was in near perfect condition compared to the rest of the estate. Arrisian explained to her that the magic Daryl had cast to protect this place, and which he and his wife had shared many times, must still be intact, though she couldn't feel the magic in the air. Perhaps the spell had fizzled out, but if it did it hadn’t done so until recently. Arrisian led Topaz to the swing, with happiness in his thoughts. The rest of the evening they spent in each other’s arms and conversation, sitting on the swing, enjoying the view and the occasional fiery kiss.

When Arrisian had returned Topaz to Beacon and they had taken their leave off another for the night, rather than turning in for sleep, Topaz went for a dip in the icy waters of Atrebla Lake. So much had happened in so short a time to turn her thoughts awhirl. And Arrisian’s kisses had effected her deeply.

Return to “Atrebla”