What's Done is Done

A place for the stories that take place within Rhy'Din
Roni
Adventurer
Adventurer

What's Done is Done

Post by Roni »

Sometime shortly after 1 AM

.....Her day had been long. First court, then Reiko texting her about Haru, and her blowing out of court. Then going back, and repeating the same process. Then, when she had just been hoping for food, she got utter chaos instead. Demons. Fighting. Sam and his tank. Her panic at being stuck or caught alone by the demon spawn that overtook the city, however brief. It had taken a lot out of the faerie, and she was bone exhausted by the time she reached her front door and made her way inside... She shut and locked the door behind her, and called out a greeting to let her best friend and protector know that she was home safe and sound, in one piece.

There's a soft little greeting trilled to Lacey, as the black cat came to rub herself against Roni's legs, effectively making herself a trip hazard.

"Oi. Baby. I need ya ta not trip me." She received a mewl in response. "I know. I missed ya too. Food?" This time there's a meow, loud and insistent. Yes please! So... she set to filling Lacey's bowl with food, and while the cat ate, she turned the food focus to her own. After much poking around in the fridge and freezer, she just ended up with two microwaved hot pockets. It was easy, and fast.

Hot pockets and a glass of apple juice were both carried from the kitchen to the comfort of her couch. She was just getting comfortable, when the ringing of her phone cut into the silence of her apartment. There's wiggling as fingers move to delve and free her phone from her back pocket. Eoghan's name had her staring at the screen something fierce, before she swiped a finger across the screen to answer.

She heard the sound of wailing sirens and further chaos in the background, and a crackle of static and heavy breath, before: "Oi. Bird." Another inhale of breath. "Fuck. I'm sorry. The agency. It's on fire." His voice sounded hoarse with smoke inhalation and exhaustion.

It took a moment for his words to fully process. Agency. Fire. Fire. Agency was on fire. Her heart sank. "No." Her voice cracked. "How bad is it? Jesus christ." There's panic in her voice. All her files. All of Nick that had been left. His furniture, and touches and essence. Her food was forgotten as she scrambled back onto her feet, and just moved. She grabbed a set of car keys blindly, and was back out the door by the time the other faerie was speaking.

"I dunno, Bird. It's ragin' hot. I tried. I was 'ere when the chaos broke. I tried to put it out. It just got worse." The siren's wail got louder at some point.

"I'm on my way." It only took a moment to make it down her apartment stairs and out the main door.

"Darlin' I don't think-" Whatever he didn't think about was lost, as Roni simply hung up.She wasn't in the mood to be treated like a delicate flower just because she's pregnant. The Faerie had already mowed some demon fuckers down with a tank, and stabbed a few small ones on the way home. She ignored her phone as it started ringing again.

Once she reached the sidewalk outside her apartment she actually stopped to see what keys she had grabbed. Her lamborghini. All the better. She doesn't hesitate from there, and instead heads straight for it, and slides on in. She wasn't sure what all she could do by going there, but there had to be something, right? On top of this, she didn't even have any idea as to when the emergency services would arrive. Obviously, they were rather busy tonight.

There wasn't much thinking, just pedal to the floor as her tires ate up the road underneath them. She couldn't think about it right now. Or dwell. She'd fall apart before she even had a chance to get there and see how bad it was for herself. She dodged people and property alike, and happily mowed down any demons in her way. The dents in her car were something that could be fixed.

With the chaos, it still took her a good thirty minutes before she finally approached the street her agency was on. The dark billowing cloud of smoke that was being belched into the sky was not reassuring, and made her stomach twist. And it simply sank when she rounded the corner, and saw a lack of emergency response services... and large hungry flames eating through the roof.

Her tires screeched to a stop a safe distance away from the agency, and where Eoghan stood, squinting at the fire, phone in hand. The other faerie was covered in soot and ashes from his attempts at squelching the fire before it went and got out of control. There's also what looks to be a rather wicked burn on the back of one of his arms, a gash across his chest that looked like it was from claws of a demon. Roni threw the vehicle into park, and tumbled out the door and onto unsteady feet that carried her towards the other.

Roni. Eoghan's attention snapped towards her. She already looked like she was having one hell of a day, which made having to be the bearer of bad news that much worse. "Tch. Oi, Bird. Bring it in Darlin'. You look like you're needin' a hug. And a stiff drink, if you weren't carryin'. But the first thing I can do." He didn't hesitate, and didn't listen to any of her protests as he wrapped her up in his arms in a tight hug. There's all of a moment, before she gave up, and melted into his embrace.

"You can always rebuild, Darlin'. There's that. Don't do nothin' stupid fer a buildin'."

"That's not it, Eoghan. It's--" She stopped as her voice cracked and a hiccup interrupted her words. She could feel the heat as it rolled off her agency. Somewhere, it sounded like sirens were wailing their way closer. It barely even registered with her.

Most everything she had that reminded her of Nick had been in that building. Memories, burned up and gone, turned to ash in a matter of minutes. She's no idea how bad the fire is... Other than the fact that the front windows had cracked, and flames were now hungrily clawing at them. The roof was still spouting flames and smoke to the heavens. She's certain the furniture was destroyed. Her files, nothing but ashes. All her camera equipment, and computers, and thousands of dollars sank into a business that pulled her up from where she had been. Gone. Unfinished cases. All the perverts she had been slowly gathering evidence on.

Her heart felt like it was breaking. Everything all at once, no reprieve. Chaos, and drama, and now, as icing on the cake, the Detective agency she had built with a beloved and departed friend was burning before her eyes and there was absolutely nothing at all she could do about it. She clings tight to Eoghan, like he's one of the only lifelines she has. The world feels unsteady. Was the ground rumbling again?

"I can't stop it. What's done is done." This is said helplessly, as a myriad of lights from emergency vehicles light up the street as they round the corner. They made the world swim around her.

Eoghan watched the process of emotions as they rolled over Roni's face. The Agency had meant more to her than just some business. Almost like it had become ingrained in a part of who she was. Like watching it burn caused actual physical pain. His heart went out to her. "Nuh, Bird. What's done is done, you're right. But you're gunna be okay. It'll be okay." He gave her another firm squeeze, before finally releasing her from his grasp.

Roni took a step back from him and turned a touch, watching as firefighters rushed by with hoses. Another stopped only to ask if there was anyone else within the building. "No- No. We were pretty closed. Eoghan's the one that was 'ere when the blaze started." Her voice trembled and shook, while she looked unsteady on her feet, pale and withdrawn.

"That I was. It's been burnin' a while. But the whole city's a shit show tonight." The look the first responder gave him was one that could kill, for sure. If he wasn't like a faerie.

Roni shared another look between her fellow fae and the first responder. Voices sounded fuzzy, and far away. Distant. The edges of her vision swam with black stars, like the ones that came with a lack of oxygen. She felt heavy, spinny.... And took another step. Her knees buckled, and as the world slipped out from under her... a lack of consciousness rolled over her, leaving her body to collapse limply. The only reason she doesn't manage to clock her head on anything is because Eoghan's quick to move and catch her as gentle and quick as he could, before slowly, gently lowering the woman to the ground.

Really, it's not long before the first responder they had been talking to is swooping in to do his job, and check on the woman, and Eoghan let's them....

He should probably call Siobhan anyways.

Return to “The Streets of Rhy'Din (shared)”