May Death Never Stop You

A place for the stories that take place within Rhy'Din
The Unburied
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

May Death Never Stop You

Post by The Unburied »

I remember death. Two sharp shocks to the back of the head. A blast of bright light and then? Nothing. The chill, the dark, the empty. Cold and black and infinite. Nobody was there, and I had no body, just my thoughts bouncing around in never ending circles. One thought, really. Revenge. Revenge, revenge, revenge, revenge.

I prayed. I had no hands and I had no voice, but still, I prayed. To God, the devil, heaven, hell, all the other gods and demons I could remember, and those I had forgotten or couldn’t remember. Bring me back. I still have work to do.

I don’t remember much of life -- my life. It’s almost all been lost to the darkness and the light, the agony of my death. If I focus, I can feel the rope on my wrists, the tape on my mouth, the lurch and shudder of the vehicle whose trunk I’m in. The smell of leaking oil and gasoline makes me gag, and I almost puke when the car slams to a stop, throwing me against something both rubbery and metallic. Voices murmur, male and female, then the latch opens, and rough hands haul me out into the swamp. A boot kicks me, once, twice. First in the back to stagger me, then in the knee to force me down. I feel cold metal against the back of my head, smell rotten eggs and cooking fuel, hear the click of the gun readying. I shut my eyes.

Someone answered my prayer, but they fucked it all up. Nearly everything I need to know to find them is gone, forgotten -- perhaps blown out of my brain with those bullets. They left me with my body, my vengeance, and just two vague thoughts to avenge myself with.

The woman smells of kerosene. The man tastes like chocolate.
We will rise up from the dead
We become the living
We've come back to reclaim our stolen breath
The Unburied
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Rise From Your Grave

Post by The Unburied »

The first time I came back to life, I was floating in a swamp. Lungs filled with brackish water, I coughed and coughed and coughed until I thought I saw pieces of them drifting by. They were just lily pads. I surfaced, the area around me lit by the green glow of fireflies. I touched my hand to the back of my head and held it in front of my face. The light of the bugs and the moon wasn’t enough for me to see if there was blood or not. I let myself float, center.

I should be dead. Maybe we should. We? Me. Me.

There wasn’t much current but just enough to spit me out on dry land. My wet clothes turned the dirt I rested on to mud as I continued to cough. When nothing came out but air, I stopped, touched the back of my head again. There was a little more light here, so I could see my fingers when I held them up. No blood. Weird...I --

-- should be dead?

Right.
I peeled myself off of the ground to a seated position. Wet clothes hung off me like anchors threatening to pull me back under. All I could smell was sweat, rot, sulfur, methane. A wave of dizziness crashed over me when I tried to stand, so I dropped to my knees. The impact was enough to jar my stomach. I retched, first, and then I puked, salty water and stomach acid. It left a foul taste on my tongue, and I thought I might puke again. Instead, I flopped onto my back, narrowly dodging my barf, and stared up at the full moon, watching my chest rise and fall with each breath out of the corner of my eye.

I’m alive. Am I?
We will rise up from the dead
We become the living
We've come back to reclaim our stolen breath

Return to “The Streets of Rhy'Din (shared)”