Home Revisited

A place for the stories that take place within Rhy'Din
Reiko Souma
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Home Revisited

Post by Reiko Souma » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:46 pm

14 January 2017

There were messes everywhere. Left, right, above, below...I tried to scrub vigorously, but nothing seemed to give.

It had been the very last thing that I wrote during the last of my days in Rhy'din. Boy, was I in terrible shape then. Don't ask me to try remembering, either. Specifics no longer come to me. It was as if some things were but a dream, one that came and went like the weather patterns. All I knew was, the me of that day had been referring to the messes of my life that I only know, I could no longer clean up on my own.

Just over two years have passed since my hometown was my home once more, and I had bidden Rhy'din farewell. There were good people, not so good people, and the rest of them who I left behind. There were loved ones, friends and acquaintances, and strangers. Everybody else, really. Some of them, I had been unable to say good-bye to because I knew I would see them again at some point. Most of them, I've seen this week.

There are but two who I would really like to catch up with. Unfortunately, my time here in Rhy'din is almost at its end before I must return home once more. Sahlia, Wynn, Alin, and Ebony have been tending to my shop in my absence that I could never burden them with an extension to my leave. Maybe next time, I'll bring them with me for my next visit to Rhy'din.

Has anything really changed about this world at all? Yes, and I'm glad for it. These changes seem to be nothing short of positive in nature, a renewal in harmony, if I may. I like these changes. What I like more is that I've been able to relax. Some part of me has apparently wanted to do nothing but relax in Rhy'din for more than a few hours or so, and now I rest easy during each night with the peace of mind and relaxation that I get the feeling hasn't always come to me so easily.

Now, to figure out how I want to spend my last four days in Rhy'din...I'm sure there's some kind of festival coming up that I can get in on. Right?
"A bon jour bone euvre."
[For a good day, a good deed.]
- French proverb, 1307

Don't see me online? Find me on Discord or on Facebook.
Reiko Souma
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

7 July 20xx

Post by Reiko Souma » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:29 am

The Tanabata, Star Festival...the weather was just perfect for such an event. Mind you, I had no idea that this was going to happen. Oi vey! It must have taken me a good three or four hours to find a shop that still had any yukata and geta in stock, but I had prevailed. Knowing that I would likely be out pretty late meant getting in a little bit of a nap after enjoying some lunch.

Who would have thought that I would end up trying my hand at smashing a watermelon tonight? Pun intended, of course. A demonstration video that I had watched after work one night had inspired this, seeing as how we had smashed watermelons during Golden Week for the last two years. Unlike the video, I wanted to avoid any risk of injury to my hand when I did attempt the karate chop, so I used some of my own aura as a forcefield of sorts. I need both of my hands for work, after all.

Speaking of work, carving that wooden trophy for the new Baroness in the limited amount of time that I had proved to be a challenge. There was no way I could finish it without the aid of my telekinesis; now I only hope that Yeardley enjoys it as much as I enjoyed the challenge of carving it so quickly.

Between speed-carving trophies and smashing watermelons, one of which a mage by the name of Icbani had frozen as a means of giving me a good challenge, finishing the night with a good fireworks show set to music was a welcome relief. The finale proved to be a bit much for my ears and eyes, but I made it through without any major issues. Here I am now, thinking back on my previous few days here in Rhy'din.

The thought of today being my last day here are bittersweet, but I know that I belong in Terra no matter how much I may enjoy visiting any other planet or realm. Rhy'din is no exception here. Visit briefly or visit on vacation as many times as I want or am able to, my life is in my hometown of the dangerous Camden, New Jersey. I'll be sad and miss everybody I had a chance of reuniting with or meeting, but I'll also be happy. Why? It means I'll have more to look forward to the next time I come to Rhy'din. Until then, once I've had a good night's sleep, I'll be able to enjoy my last day here with all my might.

Thank you, all of you, for making me feel welcome here and for reminding me that I haven't yet been forgotten by everybody in Rhy'din.
Reiko Souma
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

24 July 20xx

Post by Reiko Souma » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:40 pm

Waking up at home is usually comforting, the feeling of knowing that a good night's sleep was gotten with peace all around. Fluffed-out pillows, favourite blanket...and so on. The makings of an almost perfect night.

Waking up at sickbay, on the other hand...not so much. Where did I wake up this morning? At sickbay. More specifically, the Rhy'din Air and Space Guard sickbay. Smooth move for me, not even being nice enough to say hello to the ones who had brought me there to begin with. Or one. Huh. How did I end up here..?

More importantly, what are Shourim and my employees going to think when they show up at the store and not see me there with the doors open?

That part was taken care of with a phone call, fortunately. Situations like this are why I had left a backup key to the back entrance in a communal location. Shourim also had a key, so he was opening up the store for me this morning whilst I gathered myself.

Recollections of last night. Right. I had been watching duels in the Outback and lost a bet to Amaris over Matt's duel. Leftover cookies had been had, just like a good time in general. Then I saw a Slash being used in a Swords duel against old man Matt, and it could only be described as a memory that seemed to unfold. It was brief, but it also had holes. I had duelled someone who had their own gospel of 3:16 that, simply put, took issue with the use of Slash. The one who had said this was the part I had tried so hard to remember, at least until I asked Matt who it had been. G. How could I have forgotten something so simple?

It was no matter, for I was homebound after this. Or, I thought I was...

(That morning)
There was no chirping alarm clock to be heard as the pink-haired Albino came to, her lashless eyes sliding open slowly. Directly above her was a set of lights that were bright enough to force her eyes to slid shut until they were open in slits now. This wasn't her bedroom on Terra...nor was this any place on Terra at all. Where was she?

"Oh good, you're awake. Do you know where you're at?" a woman asked. She had walked over to check on Reiko and decided on sticking around for an extra moment upon the Albino waking up. Now the uniform-wearing brunette was watching the barely-awake woman slowly shake her head no. "You're at the Rhy'din Air and Space Guard. Sickbay. Matt brought you here."

Matt...Matt. Oh, she means the old man. Who'd have thought that he would bring her to a place like this? Reiko hadn't been to any sickbay in years, not since her days of serving in the SDF. "I owe the old man my thanks in the form of a drink. So, what happened to me?" she asked. The energy needed to function was starting to come to her. Blood circulated throughout her body as she moved her arms and then sat up. She didn't feel any worse, only better.

The woman, whose name badge sewn to her chest above her left breast pocket read Lauren, watched Reiko carefully. She could tell by the reactions that Reiko was no stranger to the sickbay. "According to him, you suddenly collapsed at the Outback. You have no injuries that require any attention."

Reiko looked to her right for her phone and found it next to her pillow. Into her pocket that went. "So, I'm good to go? I can go back home to Terra and get my shop open for the day?" the Albino asked. "I mean, I feel perfectly fine. Better, actually."

"Not quite." Come again? It didn't go over so well with Reiko when she was told that anyone who collapsed in Rhy'din and ended up at sickbay was to remain in Rhy'din for at least twelve hours longer. It was to ensure that no further medical episodes occurred during that time, which meant a visibly unhappy Reiko had to make alternate arrangements for her store to be opened and run.

"Will I be able to get some breakfast, at least?" she had to ask. She had medicine to take, and it required food.

And, that was how she ended up staying in Rhy'din for the day.

Phone calls were made, reassurances of my health were given, and Shourim's reminder to take my medicine came with my dry response of polite gratitude. For the first two hours, I was to stay at sickbay. As Lauren had said to me earlier, it was a precaution. Yeah, I was familiar with those. Stay put for the first two hours to eat and medicate if necessary, do some stretches and basic calisthenics, and then be on your way once the two hour mark was reached without incident.

Well, those two hours came and went just a smidgen too slow. I must have done one hundred pushups and jumping jacks (each) after eating, taking my medicine, and doing my stretches. Wearing yesterday's clothes into today was out of the question, so Kabuki Street was my first stop in my unexpected day trip in Rhy'din. It was nice to see such beautiful decorations along the way as I looked for a clothing store. Go figure, there were casual clothes and dresses that suited my style, such as this beautiful black dress with music notes and clefs. Not bad for Kabuki Street!

Fortunately, the Red Dragon Inn had some goblins who were nice enough to let me use the kitchen for some cooking. I had received an e-mail about a double-header challenge that night, one that was a potluck, and wanted to bring something to the table. What's one thing that the average folk loved? Meat, especially bacon, unless they were vegetarian or followed some other diet. Sorry, guys...the carnivores were getting spoiled.

Long story short? I'm now adding a special trophy section to my store, exclusively for the citizens of Rhy'din. Why? At this rate, I was going to end up making a trophy every week, and my employees were going to be pretty busy with painting them.
Reiko Souma
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

1 August 20xx

Post by Reiko Souma » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:25 pm

Strange things are afoot. Whether they be consistent through the world of Rhy'din and even include others remains yet to be seen, but one thing is definite: it's focused in Rhy'din. There would be more to the definite list than that if they were known; considering I only come to Rhy'din to join the audience for duels and challenges, as well as attend special festivals and events, nothing else can be ruled-out or confirmed. Too many questions simply remain unasked with no known answers, mainly because there was too little information.

What I consider strange, for one, is how the duellist I'm not cheering for ends up winning their duel. My psychic abilities couldn't be to blame for this one since I wasn't using any of them, so how..? All I have is the possibility of my having jinxed those I wanted to see as winners, or so I thought. Ack. I really am not sure where I'm trying to go with this one, other than the probable power behind one's words. Yeah, that was where I wanted to go with that. Either the power of my words triggered the opposite effect, or something else is responsible for this, was the initial conclusion.

As of tonight, not anymore! I was visiting for a challenge at the Arena, which was the start of a typical visit. An added amount of motivation had come to me in the form of searching for someone who had called some of my past duels. Joker. He's not someone I would put at the top of a party invitation list because of how verbally graphic he could be at times, but he was worth seeking out because I like his unique style otherwise. I hope to find him so that he could be the first to call my duel in Swords, but until then, I prefer to watch the duels.

And, what a duel it was last night! Amaris had challenged Alasdair; by this time, I had settled in with the decision to refrain from cheering for anybody because of what I had just written. The only difference was that I was actually expecting someone tonight. Thank Fate, Tomomi showed up. He was the first to not blow me off, which I greatly appreciate, and we watched the single-round challenge together. Unfortunately, Amaris didn't emerge the victor, but I'm still happy for Alasdair being able to defend his title. Note to self: find him and ask for his favourite colours to put on the trophy.

If I thought that things were strange in general already, then they definitely became stranger as the night went on. Nothing was strange about any of the pies, which I was only happy to join everyone in taking some of. What was strange, was what came next. I was licking blueberries off of Tomomi's finger! Even more, nobody batted an eye or yelled about getting a room! This may be Rhy'din with a lot of things happening in general, but for nobody to react to what could very well have been interpreted in one of several ways is very strange to me. Maybe that's a good thing...

...there are some things which won't be repeated from the recesses of my memories onto these pages. Things which are clearly meant to be secrets will go with me to my grave when that time comes; I'll leave it at the possible confirmations of the stranger-than-usual happenings in this world.

I'm not sure if anything more needs be said here, other than this being the first I've ever had anything licked off of me by someone. The tongue reminded me of a fox...just the thought of this brings that hot blush back to my face. Dear Fate, what in the world is the matter with me to be blushing like a mad fool? What even is going on anymore? Have my psychic abilities finally started to go awry with random targeting that I cannot control? Something really is happening, and I gain concerns that it might be affecting me more than it ought to.
"A bon jour bone euvre."
[For a good day, a good deed.]
- French proverb, 1307

Don't see me online? Find me on Discord or on Facebook.

Return to “The Streets of Rhy'Din (shared)”