RhyDin Observation Journal, Phil Goshawke

A place for the stories that take place within Rhy'Din
Phil Goshawke
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

RhyDin Observation Journal, Phil Goshawke

Post by Phil Goshawke » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:39 pm

August 4, 2018, RhyDin Standard Calendar (Interesting: they use the same calendar as we do. Standard? Other calendars? Should look this up)

Portal travel from Camford University to RhyDin was uneventful. No side effects. Some other travelers suffered nausea, vomiting, pale skin (maybe natural?).

Arrived near a building called the RhyDin Welcome Center. Spent 30 minutes in immigration line, filling out paperwork. Tricky because most of the immigrants have been spirited here accidentally with no way back to their home world, or are refugees deliberately leaving dying worlds, bad home lives, war, famine, etc. Workers are more used to handling asylum claims or unintended emigration, and not those with temporary status - work permits, student permits, diplomats, etc.

Once paperwork finished, I headed outside to meet RIMT graduate student liaison. An elf woman, nearly as tall as me, blonde hair/green eyes, dressed in a business suit. Strangely formal. Name was Meltôriel. Don’t know what it means in elvish (look it up?). Weather is much hotter than Coalhold or Camford -- 35 degrees Celsius according to the thermometer in the Center, and humid. Had to take off the sweatshirt I wore coming over and store it in my steamer trunk.

Meltôriel hailed a carriage (horse-drawn) that took us to Old Temple. Graduate student housing is about a kilometer from the main university - Meltôriel says it’s converted from a monastery for some long-dead religion. Campus is split - main classroom buildings are in Old Temple, but classes pertaining to magical animal husbandry, organic spell component cultivation, etc. are on a school farm a few kilometers south of the city, near Cadentia. Should take trip down on off day to investigate.

Apartment is not noteworthy. Unfurnished, stone walls, window with view of another tall building (apartment complex?) and alley between. Little sunlight comes in.

Will write more about what I see in the city once I purchase furniture and unpack belongings.

P.J.G.
Phil Goshawke
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

August 27, 2018

Post by Phil Goshawke » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:32 pm

August 27, 2018, R.S.C. (note bene: this roughly corresponds to Midgard’s calendar and something called the Gregorian calendar. There is also a Julian calendar (today’s date is August 14 on that) and calendars linked to religious groups (Islam, Judaism) and people from various countries and worlds (Darian calendar, Middle-earth calendar, Stardates).)

Meltôriel means brotherly love, or charity, in Elvish.

Spent last couple of weeks doing orientation activities and buying things for the apartment. Bed, bed frame, chairs, table, desk, etc. Cost of living is more expensive than Camford.

Visited the “ag campus” a week ago or so. Smells a lot like animals. They have hippogriffs, unicorns, manticores, small drakes, pegasi, kinshi, chocobos, etc. They cultivate and harvest all manner of flora for material spell components: ironwood groves, fields of bloodflowers, paddies of what looks like rice but must be something else. It’s interesting but would be a lot more interesting if I could do anything with the components or animals. Which I can’t.

Classes start September 5. I am already taking a crash course in teaching undergraduate classes, since I will be a teaching assistant. When fall semester officially starts, I’m taking an introduction to graduate studies class, Magical Storage Theory I, and Inorganic Material Components I. I will be teaching two sections of Introductions to Systems of Magic.

Keep hoping to make it over to the Arena or the Outback or Twilight Isle but too busy getting the apartment ready, getting ready to teach and take classes. Will hopefully get there soon!

Return to “The Streets of Rhy'Din (shared)”