Circling the Wagons

The lives of the infamous Wrecking Crew

Moderators: Ria Graziano, Maria Graziano, Ticallion Carter, Myria Graziano

Ria Graziano
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Circling the Wagons

Post by Ria Graziano »

(( Responses to the letter from Jennie Andre in Crew No More. ))

Sunday February 24, morning.

Jennie's office was in a typical building, all of glass, somewhere near the AMD Training Facility that served as the home of the Wrecking Crew's gym and trainers. She "lived" (with the long hours lately, it might as well have been living there) on the 10th floor in a corner office. The place itself was tastefully decorated in black and white with splashes of red and green. Fresh white roses adorned the wide cherry desk and black chairs with red cushions sat on the "public" side. Fio's arrival was anticipated and lackeys were ready to deliver her to the senior VP.

And deliver her they did. She arrived exactly two minutes before the appointment, dressed in a pair of black slacks and a blue button down under a black sweater. Deliberate, of course. She was pale and sleek, and obviously curious about the reason for the meeting.

Jennie stood at the arrival, casting a slight smile of approval at both the lady's punctuality and her attire. “Good morning, Ms. Helston Al-Amat. Or do you prefer another name?” Her perfectly manicured hands smoothed down the black pencil skirt that apparently she wore even on the weekends when working before the right came up to motion toward the plush seating. “Have a seat. I'm Jennie.”

"You can call me Fio," she answered as she entered, her eyes panning the room before accepting the invitation to a seat with a low murmur of thanks and a tick of her eyes to the assistant who'd led her in. "It's good to meet you at last, Jennie."

The assistant, a bald man, nodded to Fio and swept his gaze toward Jennie briefly. She addressed Fio rather than look at him. “Something to drink, Fio?” Even as she asked, she eased down into her chair on her side of the desk.

“No. Thank you."

The man nodded and took himself out, gently shutting the glass door behind him. Jennie smiled faintly at him before she turned her full attention toward Fio. “I am sorry we are not able to meet under more pleasant circumstances. I must say, though…” She paused, granting Fio a tiny smile, “I am glad to have little reason to …. meet you.” In other words, as far as Crew were concerned, she was extremely well-behaved and Fio's assigned handler had a very easy job.

Fio's day job could be thanked for much of that. And so far as anyone knew, she had no life in the evening outside of the duels. "Well, I will see what I can do to make sure we have as little reason to see one another as possible, then." Tiny, tiny smile.

A graceful nod and a soft chuckle from Jennie. “I hope I do not sound ungracious in agreeing with you.” She paused a moment, then got to the heart of the matter. “I thank you for coming in, nonetheless. What can you tell me that may be of assistance?” She assumed that the woman had read the letter and knew the exact reason for this meeting.

She looked at the executive with a mildly blank look, her brow rising. "About what?"

Jennie’s brows knit briefly before her face relaxed. “I apologize; I presumed since you knew of my request to discuss ideas with you that you knew of the substance of the conversation.” She paused to gather her thoughts again, setting hands on her desk and clasping them in front of her. “Maria and Ria Graziano.” Perhaps that would give Fio enough to understand the predicament. The problems between the two, well, were obvious.

Fio stood up, sighing. "I was under the impression you called me here because you had a plan you wished help with. I didn't think it would be a fishing expedition. You've called the wrong person. Their personal business is their business."

“Not when their personal business is not only splashed all over the gossip magazines but also when the very stability of this team and organization are at stake, Fio.” She pointed out patiently, attempting to show the woman why it mattered so much to her. “I should also remind you that the Grazianos have always considered any member of Crew their family … and that includes you. They would …” …to use Graziano vernacular… “…have your back. They need yours now.”

"They've got it. But I really do not know much. I don't know what you're asking for. If you want to be a little more specific, then maybe I can answer. Ria is angry with Maria and Myria. She cheered for Rakeesh the other night rather than support Tic. Maria is pissed at Ria. I have no idea what started it all. They don't confide in me."
Ria Graziano
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Ria Graziano »

“Please, do sit.” Jennie motioned toward the chair again. “Maria is angered at Ria because Maria's pregnancy and engagement were leaked via Ria's stolen cellphone. Ria is angered at Maria because Maria believes Ria did it on purpose.” She sighed, allowing some of her own frustration to show. “I am asking for any ideas that might allow them to … discuss their differences in a healthy manner, rather than losing Maria as well as Ria from this organization.”

Fio considered a moment before coming back to retake the seat, crossing her legs and looking thoughtful. "I suppose chaining them up in a basement someplace is out of the question?"

A rueful smile at the question and she relaxed only slightly more at the question. “If only it were that simple. I am, unfortunately, an only child and not used to these … rivalries. As it stands now, however, Ria has left Crew. We have not issued an official statement yet. We are hopeful …” Vaguely hopeful, at least. “… that Ria might change her mind. Do you believe chaining them might be … useful?” The question was only half joke.

"You need to give them something to work toward. Something they both have to pull together for or they can't get it on their own."

Jennie acknowledged that with a slow nod. “That is, perhaps, the main … upshot … of our seeking certain of you who are not so involved out. It cannot be specifically dueling, their strengths are too different in that arena to give them commonality. Is there something in the …” She lifted a hand to wave it slightly, aimlessly. “… political realm that could assist in the real goal?”

Things are in a bit of upheaval at the moment in the city," she murmured. Not that that was anything new, or newsworthy. "I'll have to give that some thought. Put them on a community project together, maybe? But I can't force them."

“Of course we can't force them.” Yet, the public relations executive silently added. “But we cannot help but try, yes?” A seemingly pleasant smile, but one that invited Fio's confidence in more than one way. “It might do to give Maria a task or purpose during her pregnancy. If you can think of something, I would be extremely appreciative.”

"Maybe you could stop trying to micromanage everything she does in public? Make her responsible for her own image for a bit. Tough love. Stay on the sidelines and watch in case something blows up. Have an out, but don't let her see that. She's a strong, smart woman. Give her credit for being stronger and smarter than she knows she is."

“Perhaps.” Jennie remained noncommittal on that front, seeming to accept the advice and be willing to take it into serious consideration. “Though we do have incidents such as what I discovered this morning - she has entered the current Warlord Tournament while pregnant simply because her brother made a boast. I do hope she is safe.”

Shocked, there was absolutely nothing Fio could add to that.

Jennie affected a shrug, trying to show her camaraderie with the other woman rather than her stuffy executive persona. “We do try, Fio. I suppose we shall think on all we have just said. I do sincerely thank you for coming this morning, particularly with your busy schedule and with it being a weekend date.”

"Of course," she answered slowly, tilting her head to study Jennie a moment the way one might examine a glossy beetle they'd never seen before in the garden. Then she simply rose from the chair and smiled, some of the shock worn off. "Have a good day."

“You as well, Fio. I do hope our next meeting is under much more pleasant circumstances.” She smiled, standing when the other lady did. “Is there anything we here can do for you, in general?”

"Keep me clothed in the calendar shoot. I'd prefer not to have to explain that to my...family." She smiled and turned for the door.

"Calendar shoot?" Brows furrowed; did someone order and organize a calendar shoot? Jennie made a note to figure out just who. "I'll … make sure … of it." She promised.

"Thank you," she assumed the woman knew about it, so she didn't stop to explain.

(( Adapted from live play. ))

Return to “Wrecking Crew”