The lives of the infamous Wrecking Crew

Moderators: Ticallion Carter, Myria Graziano, Ria Graziano, Maria Graziano

Maria Graziano
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Stumping for the Candidate

Post by Maria Graziano »

"I want to be like you when I grow up."

The speaker, a fierce looking ten year old girl, slid a poster across the table towards Maria. Maria dutifully signed it with the sharpie in hand as she sat at a table in front of Blizzard Sports Goods beneath a large banner stating "RE-ELECT THE GOVERNOR" in the dark blue and silver of the Crew.

The girl's father was standing directly behind her with the same intensity in his eyes. Devout pride weighed heavily in his tone as he spoke up on his daughter's behalf. "Our Clara is an amazing duelist. She's training at the Divaldi Academy in New Haven. Her teachers say she has what it takes to be a professional duelist. We were hoping you might have some advice for her."

"I do," Maria replied with a sage nod as she pushed the signed poster back across the table, leveling her eyes at the girl. "Go to law school."

"What?" Her rust-colored brows shot up towards her bangs in surprise.

"You look like you've got a killer's instinct. Would be better to use it someplace where it might matter. Law, politics, marketing. Go do something with your life. Don't waste it becoming a professional athlete," Maria replied, allowing her eyes to move on somewhere towards the middle of the statement.

The father looked ready to rebut the claims but the smooth talking rep in a skirt suit on hand from her PR firm was quick to move them along before Maria could answer any further questions. The sole reporter present, Mandy Ortega, on hand to write one of those fluffy 'Day in the Life' pieces for some woman's magazine was already jotting down the exchange much to the PR representative's chagrin.

"Vote for Fio!" Maria called after them with a cheery wave.

Emboldened by the representative moving off and, thus, leaving Maria without a handler, Mandy asked a more daring question in a low tone as Maria signed a poster for a thirteen year old boy with a dopey grin.

"Is Fio Crew? Is that why you're stumping for her?"

The question caused Maria to pause in writing her personal best wishes. Sharpie poised in the air, she twisted to give Mandy a sidelong glance. A half-smile formed and then quickly disappeared as an answer was gathered. "It would be a real feather in my cap, wouldn't it? The governor of RhyDin wearing Crew colors?"

Mandy's pen tapped twice against the notebook in front of her. She gave a single nod. "I believe it would be."

"Well, the Crew is all over. Everywhere you look. They'll each be revealed when the time is right."

She set the sharpie back onto the poster, signing it with a flourish before handing it to the teenager with a flash of a smile. Her dark eyes moved back on Mandy as the boy walked away, admiring the poster. The cheerful air had been bled dry, leaving only a somber frown in its place. "But the time would certainly not be right as the primaries begin. So, no, Fio is not Crew and you should make sure you write that down in that little notebook of yours."

(( The primaries began today and run through Monday evening! Vote, vote, vote! ))

Return to “Wrecking Crew”