The RhyDin Tattler

A place for broadcasting networks, social media, news outlets, blogs, gossip articles, radio, podcasts etc. A shared folder open to all players.

Moderator: Staff

The RhyDin Tattler
Adventurer
Adventurer

The RhyDin Tattler

Post by The RhyDin Tattler »

The figure sat bathed in the light from the screen in front of them. Everyone else had gone home for the day and they preferred it that way. Music came through the tiny speakers at their desk as they hunched over the keyboard, nibbling on the end of a Bic pen. It wasn't hard for them to slip into the role they had chosen so long ago. Letting the letters from people sit in a stack beside them. The first one picked up and slid open with a letter opener. Lips curved at the question that was being asked and the writer didn't take long to put down the response. Soon enough several more letters were opened and responded to. All different questions deserved a different answer. There would be no short changing anything. They did this like a knight would a challenge for a princess. Dutifully, with conviction, they wrote until the sun rose and then beyond. They always did and always would. The RhyDin Tattler depended on this column and they would always perform! No matter the cost.

Dear Gabby,

The boy behind me in Freshman English brings a knitting bag to school and knits in class! He appears to be normal in every respect, but how can this be? At first everyone giggled and made remarks, but now no one pays attention to it. He's very good looking, clean cut, and polite and I would like to get to know him better. Can a boy be normal and knit in public?

The Writer simply stared at the question and shook their head. Of course, a response was at the ready and fingers soon had it typed on the screen

He certainly can! And any male that knits in public is obviously masculine enough to stand up for himself. If you don't have the courage to get to know him better, maybe you should take up knitting yourself!

They knew the response might make the editor mad, but they weren't in this position to care what their editor thought anyway. With a smirk, the response was sent and the next letter was opened.

Dear Gabby,

Is it possible for a man to be in love with two women at the same time?

They had to decide which route to go with this one...The funnier side won out and with a smile, the response was typed.

Yes, and also hazardous!

The last letter for the night, they had been avoiding. It was one that had been read at least three times already. With a sigh, the Writer picked it up and read it over once more before setting it down to finally write a response that seemed, what they hoped at least, appropriate.

Dear Gabby,

I've been wanting to write to you for a while now. My name is Maddie and I live in an orphanage. I have watched other kids come and go with new parents but I'm still here waiting. Am I a bad kid? Do people not want me? What can I do to get adopted? Should I learn a new hobby? The sisters say playing an instrument might be a good idea but I don't like any instruments. I like to read. That's how I found you. I read you all the time. If you could give advice to me that would be super! Thanks Gabby!

Maddie,

You know I think God created special people like you for a reason. There is a saying I want you to remember. "Save the best for last." Sometimes the reason you are where you are might not be made clear to you but to others around it is. Are there kiddos there younger than you? Perhaps your mission is to help them, to be there for them. Maybe even read to them. Reading is a very good hobby and can lead you on so many more adventures beyond those walls. Don't lose faith Maddie, you're still there because the right people for you are still waiting to come get you. Stay strong and continue to be as beautiful as you are. Remember...they always save the best for last.

With that, the responses were sent along to the printer and the laptop was shut down. The writer didn't leave the office for a long time that night. Knowing that somewhere there was a little girl longing for a home made them determined to do some investigating. After all, they were a reporter! A new determination helped drive them to stand and with a smile they headed out into the night, eager to see the new print that would hit the shelves tomorrow. Watch out RhyDin! The RhyDin Tattler just might tattle on you!

This is a new Tabloid being disbursed around town. Feel free to submit your Dear Gabby questions or even gossip or rumor mill articles via a private message and we just might include you on the next print! Have fun with this! Let's see how much we can circulate The RhyDin Tattler!
Last edited by The RhyDin Tattler on Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The RhyDin Tattler
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: The RhyDin Tattler

With the newest piece of gossip just flying in the Writer had to take a moment to think. This was possibly ground breaking! It must be done with the right amount of pomp and circumstance! Leaning forward, the music selection was changed, and they sat just letting the sound of the song provide the inspiration they needed. Soon the article was sitting in full display for all to read!

An Acrobat will fly
It has come to our attention that a certain acrobat has been flying through our radar. Not only with his skill within the silks that he spins through but with the flourish of relationships he has beheld. With good knowledge we have a credible source that came to us to inform that Mr. Morgan LaFey is confirmed 'Off the Market', however this boyfriend might want to be made aware that LaFey has been seen spending an exorbitant amount of time with a certain Mage friend of his. Could it be that the newness is already wearing off? Could it be that he's been put under a spell? What might come of this and how will the boyfriend feel? We don't have all the answers but we do have the inside scoop!

Last edited by The RhyDin Tattler on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The RhyDin Tattler
Adventurer
Adventurer

The next piece of gossip thrown their way had a wily smile given in response. Who could have guessed? What will people say? Without any consideration for feelings the words were put to screen and soon shipped off to the printers. Who would have known such quick responses would happen so soon? The Writer was happy and its showed in this next piece of musical art!

Are There Wedding Bells in Our Future?

It seems that RhyDin's own songwriter might have a wedding march to compose! Sources say that on Sunday night Regina Wellston might have bit off more than she could chew singing a love song to a certain Jebediah Jones. Could it have been the song to his heart? He was seen down on a knee in front of her and sources say that she responded with a yes! Perhaps congratulations are in order! Hopefully they submit a photo for this engagement to this very paper! Lets all congratulate the happy couple!

The RhyDin Tattler
Adventurer
Adventurer

They hadn't expected such an immediate response! Praise was given all the way around the office this morning. Everyone patting each other on the back. Well, almost everyone. The Writer just sat back and watched them all happily smoking their cigars and showing different parts of the paper to each other while laughing. Didn't they know one good copy did not make a success? They had to stay efficient! Had to be diligent to their calling! The Writer simply shook their head, flipped on the monitor and looked to the newest stack of letters sitting on their desk. Today, headphones would be necessary to drown out the noise and let them slip into their zone. With the familiar music drowning out the over exaggerated exuberance of their office workers, the Writer set to the task of their next round of questions and answers.

Dear Gabby,

I'm hoping you can tell me what works well for driving demons out of the home? I've been told that certain fragrances like sandalwood and sage work but I don't have either of those. Can you recommend a substitute?

The writer blinked at the words and thought about their experiences in this strange land so far and could only come up with one kind of response. Grinning, they leaned forward and let the words flow from their fingers.

I think I will forward this question on to the local apothecary however, I might recommend a recipe for The Stew that seems very popular at a local Inn. I've been told it's very good at ridding more than just demons but I don't recommend you keep it in your house for to long after you make it.

The next letter was picked up and read over twice to make sure they had read it correctly. What a strange question!

Dear Gabby

What is the best way to remove scorched on remains from a clothes dryer? Our laundry comes out dingy and matted with gunky little balls ever since our hunting dog decided to take a nap in the dryer when I wasn't looking.

There would be a moment of hesitation. The writer had to take a deep breath and answer as best as they could. With a smile.

I have no experience in tackling a response like this one. However, might I suggest that if you don't already have children yet, please don't ever.

That last letter would have to be enough for today. They couldn't imagine giving much better advice than that! With a flourish, they sent the words off to the printer, satisfied that another great advice column would be the buzz of the town.
The RhyDin Tattler
Adventurer
Adventurer

The Writer then moved on to the next piece of juicy gossip they had been given. Eyes widened as they read over the information that had been emailed to them. Well now..this was something! Probably not something new around here, but to the Writer? It was definitely something worth putting out there! With ease, they put the title on the article and let the words flow onto the screen.

It's The End Of The World as We Know It....Or Is It?

News has been received by this paper that tonight, July 15, after dark residents should do their best to stay indoors. Sources indicate that there could be something...ground breaking happening that might be cause for concern. We've got reliable information that after dark "Giant fissures in the earth, all over the city, through which the Spawn of Hell will be attacking." This quoted directly from one who's known for their knowledge of things strange in this place we all call home. So, for those of you who are adventurous, go ahead, step outside and see what happens. As for the rest of you? Well don't just think that since you're inside you are safe. It's possible that.."They could just crack those fissures open under the buildings, too." So, stay off the streets, and kiss your loved ones before bedtime. Tomorrow may never come for some of you and on that note..Sleep well RhyDin!

Last edited by The RhyDin Tattler on Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The RhyDin Tattler
Adventurer
Adventurer

Of course the Writer couldn't resist adding in one more last minute story before the paper was printed. This one was just to good to pass up! They loved the fact that these little morsels of information were seeming to fly across their desk. The people around here were not afraid to get their hands soiled in the muck of gossip it seemed! A mischievous grin would stay on their lips the entire time this story was written!
OUT and About?

It has come to our attention that there might be a possible love interest brewing among us and how could we, The Tattler, not be the first to inform you our loyal readers? The newest Neophyte to magic might have seemed a bit shy and stand offish when he first arrived, however it seems that Haru is starting to bloom here as of late and it leaves us wondering if it isn't due to the attention he seems to be getting from a certain Irish street brawler? Sources say they have been seen spending lots of quality time in each other's presence. Perhaps even touching knees or other body parts when they thought no one was looking? Whatever it is, Haru seems to have stepped up his game and Alik has stayed out of trouble. Will these two finally admit what everyone else might already be thinking? Perhaps a bit of encouragement from strangers will get these two to open up! Give them some warm words when you see them as you never know when those words might just cause the door to this mystery to open further!

The RhyDin Tattler
Adventurer
Adventurer

It was a rather harrowing night in RhyDin for the majority of people they worked with so the office was nearly barren today and honestly, they preferred it that way. With ease, the Writer had the computer screen lit and soon enough the room filled with the preferred music. Once more, the stack of letters was claimed so that a few envelopes could be selected. The letters opened and parsed until a few caught their eye. With a smile, they already had an answer in mind, fingers set to the keyboard to respond.

Dear Gabby,

I dont want to appear conceited but Im forced to admit that I am one guy who has everything. Women are always flocking around me and telling me how good-looking I am and what a marvelous personality I have. Im beginning to find this pretty annoying and extremely tiring. I just want to live a normal quiet life. How can I dissuade these hopeful females?

Now didn't this sound like most men around RhyDin? There were a few that the Writer could name, but they kept everything strictly anonymous when corresponding with their fans. Their answer was quick and rather humorous, or so they thought.

Keep talking.

The next letter was something the Writer had to consider. They could go funny or they could go serious, so a choice had to be made.

Dear Gabby,

Do Barbarians eat quiche?

They had gone funny with the first one and decided to continue that trend as they typed yet another witty response.

A real barbarian will hack and slash anyone who offered them quiche to eat and then stomp the quiche until it's totally flat because barbarians are like that.

With a grin, the responses were sent off to the printer.
The RhyDin Tattler
Adventurer
Adventurer

The next article the Writer put together wasn't one of gossip, rather it didn't have a subject that it was gossiping about. The buzz going around about The Tattler had the Writer intrigued. They could tell some people liked it while others were had trepidation about it. Perhaps the latter were smarter? The Writer had points to prove and sometimes they could come across sharp like a dagger in the back. The article must be written and so it was.

Gossip
My name is Gossip. I have no respect for justice. I maim without killing. I break hearts and ruin lives. I am cunning and malicious and gather strength with age. The more I am quoted, the more I am believed. My victims are helpless. They cannot protect themselves against me because I have no name and no face. To track me down is impossible. The harder you try, the more elusive I become. I am nobody’s friend. Once I tarnish a reputation, it is never the same. I topple governments and wreck marriages. I ruin careers and cause sleepless nights, heartaches and indigestion. I make innocent people cry in their pillows. Even my name hisses. Gossip. I make headlines and headaches. Before you repeat a story, ask yourself: Is it true? Is it harmless? Is it necessary? If it isn’t, don’t repeat it.

There would be no warning to the editor. Nothing to prepare them for the reaction this article might cause. The art of surprise is what The Writer specialized in and so it would be this way with this as well. To the printers just in time to make today's edition!

The RhyDin Tattler
Adventurer
Adventurer

So much to tell and so little time. The Writer was happy to report there were many secrets being disclosed. Enough that they had a few days articles stockpiled in notes and memos on their desk. First, there were letters to attend to. The first was read twice before the familiar music was heard playing from the speakers.

Dear Gabby,

I keep hearing that machines are getting smarter and that we should be worried that they may replace us some day. What do you think? Will robots rule the world?

Unplug The Roomba?

The name signed on the letter had a soft sound coming from The Writer's lips. Hadn't there been something they'd been told about a Roomba lately? The response to this question was an easy one. Fingers had it typed shortly.

Dear Unplug The Roomba

Just because the Roomba is taking on a mind of it's own does not mean we have to worry. Remember the machines and robots were made by humans. You should be more concerned with some of the luggage that's been reported seen around here.

The letter was slid into the 'answered' pile before another one was chosen. They sat for a moment considering the best way to answer.

Dear Gabby

It's said that absence makes the heart grow fonder, but since my boyfriend left for the Abyss with his new cult, I haven't felt any fonder. He writes daily but he doesn't even project an image anymore! He just summons a chittering ur-mouth to talk to me about his progress with the Regents of Chaos no matter what time of day it is. He says the Great Rift is coming, but the only great rift I can see is the one between us. And what about OUR progress? I want to support his career, but I need a sign that he supports ME-- and the only signs he sends me are dark portents whispered in my mind whenever he reaches out to me. What should I do?
Sincerely,
Abysmally Abyssal in New Haven

The Writer stared at the screen and really had to look at this letter from several of their points of view before finding a proper response.

Dear Abyssal

It must not be much of a cult he has if you have not gone to join him. Therefore your feelings must not be as strong as you think. I suggest you take this time to reflect on being just you. Once you have your own support, his wont seem as important anymore. Who knows, maybe he will start to notice you more and come back home where he belongs. That is, if the Great Rift doesn't gobble him up first.

Satisfied with the article, The Writer finished it up and neatly sent it to the printers.
The RhyDin Tattler
Adventurer
Adventurer

The first piece of gossip came on very good authority! The Writer was ever eager to get the article written and didn't hesitate to let the words flow from their fingers and onto the screen.

Love of the Irish?
We have it on very good authority that a certain gnomish sister who may or may not be employed at The Golden Perch might have a new love interest. Sources say that she has been seen admiring a poster that had been distributed not long ago about a certain bartender at The Red Dragon Inn. Could be one that has a heavy Irish accent to boot! That's right! It's Mr. Conner Reid! Is love going to come from this? Will she have the courage to tell him? We'd like to see that happen! If you happen to see the man maybe give him some encouragement! Lets all help a gnomish sister out!

The Writer was actually laughing as this little tidbit was sent off

Last edited by The RhyDin Tattler on Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The RhyDin Tattler
Adventurer
Adventurer

The next piece of gossip was studied but not put together just like the sender might have thought, because The Writer's intent was to spread gossip! So the feature was changed of the article with finesse.

Double Trouble?
There have always been new arrivals to this land we all share but this one, this man, shares a last name with a certain Lady Rune Lord. What is the meaning of his arrival? Could there be trouble on the horizon? Gideon Convor is someone we should watch perhaps. He might be already be leaving trouble in his wake with the hearts he has already claimed. Just ask a certain flower carrying Luna Sanguinem. It seems she and Sylista Convor have had yet another falling out. Could be Gideon is the cause? Something to ponder!

The RhyDin Tattler
Adventurer
Adventurer

The weekend had many surprises for The Writer. So many things for them to write about! They headed to their desk, amid all the shoutings of good morning from co workers and settled in the chair. Soon, headphones would drown out the noises of the office around them and the preferred music helped to filter out all the useless thoughts so that concentration could be applied to the letters sitting waiting for them. The first one chosen, the contents read.

Dear Gabby,

How can you tell if love is real?

The question was an age old one. One that had people wondering the same thing day in and day out. The Writer would never claim to know the exact answer, but a good one came to mind.

Real love doesn't only dance the night away. Real love commits forever. Real love cleans up the baby, goes to work every day, sits by a hospital bed, looks for you in a crowd, doesn't notice that you're fat and fifty. Real love cries when you're hurt and rejoice with your successes. Real love is a treasure and a gift. Every day all over the world there are millions of people who have the courage to provide real love, no matter how difficult the task. They are the arms of the goodness in this world.

It wasn't often the Writer would put as much personal insight to a question but this one had them delving a bit more into their personal belief than any other. With a blink, they sent the response off before they could change their mind and reluctantly looked to the next letter.

Dear Gabby,

I want to learn magic so that I can participate in the duels like my Mom and Dad do. They say I'm still to young to learn but I can already change the dog into a dragon! Isn't that a good enough trick or should I learn more?

Now this question could go a lot of different ways! The Writer had to ponder for a moment, hoping the answer wouldn't make the headlines the next day with the result.

Magic isn't something that is just learned, it's something you're born with. A gift that should be cherished and developed with a guiding hand. Your parents must know how good you are but also know that you need more time before you go up against others of your ilk. Perhaps not changing the dog into a dragon is the first step of proving you're responsible enough to learn more? Trust in their decision and I think you will be elated with the outcome.

Responses given, letters tucked away, the Writer sent off the information to the press. Eager to jump into their next column.
The RhyDin Tattler
Adventurer
Adventurer

Vampires are Getting BOLD

It's true, we have those undead that walk among us. Some even try to fit in with society by dressing and acting the part. Especially around 'royalty'. However we must remember these fanged creatures are something to not put all our trust in. After all, we are just walking snacks to them! This was proven this weekend when it was witnessed by a source at The Red Dragon Inn. With blatant disregard to anyone around, a female winged vampire was seen indulging themselves openly! It's one thing for them to feel like they can hunt so openly but to actually perform the task in front of others is rather gruesome. Perhaps they are getting to comfortable around us? Maybe it's time for us to stand up and remind them who the monster is! Let us take back our realm before they take it over! Keep your necks covered friends and remember..never trust a vampire!

The Writer smirked as they finished the piece. They had seen first hand the over abundance of vampires that had started to show up around the realm. The fact that so many people were getting comfortable was unsettling. Maybe this article would help to remind folks to be weary!
The RhyDin Tattler
Adventurer
Adventurer

Where oh Where Has Reiko Gone?
A frantic source is desperately searching for a familiar albino girl. Reiko has not been seen for a few days and it brings us to wonder if maybe she might have wandered to far off the beaten path? Sources say she's been spending some extra time in the woods near the farm she's been helping out with. What could be in those woods that would pull her away from friends and family? Some say there's a man that's cause for this distraction. Who might he be? A whispered name is Joseph but we can't confirm this. If you do see Reiko please tell her to contact her home and make sure to ask her who this mystery man is we sure would like to know what he's doing in the woods!

A worried father always received top interaction! The Writer put out the article in the form of a PSA and hoped that the father would soon be reunited with the daughter. Until then, they would do some of their own investigating to find out who this mystery man is. Who knows, might be worth another written piece.

Last edited by The RhyDin Tattler on Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
The RhyDin Tattler
Adventurer
Adventurer

One more last minute request seemed to fly in to their desk via a paper airplane. The Writer looked at the piece of paper and simply sat there for a moment. They had seen things about the city with the same markings on it and wondered if this was from the same creator. With a smile, they printed the juiciest piece of gossip they had in a long time!

>:[

Return to “RhyDin Media Center”