Legacy Forge

Moderator: Kira Adia

Wylinna Newhaven
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Legacy Forge

Post by Wylinna Newhaven »

How many times had she walked these streets as a kid? Enough to burn certain features into her memory. Wylinna Newhaven knew the age and gravitas of the Old Temple district. She remembered well Dragon’s Gate, the Red Dragon Inn, and all the outlandish variety houses within that one district. Dockside was the most familiar, with ports and commercial structures along both the coast and the river. Just now, she was strolling through Old Market, the part of the city that always had changed the most frequently. Despite its name, there were few structures and businesses she recognized.
It had been nearly thirty years since her family moved to the south lands for work and space. The wide open spaces of the farmlands and the intimate familiarity of a rural town had been such an attractive draw to her parents. Much better for raising children thank the hustle and bustle of the city, so they thought. A chance for the wood elf family to return to the land and the magic of nature.
The tips of her fingers ran along the stone walls and the iron gates. There was power here. Not just the essence of the Wilds, nor the subtle tremors of the Nexus. The city itself was alive. It hummed and purred with the breath of a hundred thousand souls. It drew upon sacred geometries and powerful pulses of the mind itself. The tag of spray paint on the side of the warehouse was a glyph of power. The Wall was a ward against danger. The City was her home.
She found a discarded piece of chalk. She knelt down and picked it up, pushing back a lock of snow-white hair that had fallen in her face. The wall of the store before her was clean and smooth, a brick structure no older than she was. The face of the cornerstone was larger than her hand. She idly drew lines and curves on the surface, a sudden jolt of inspiration upon her.
She felt the presence behind her mere seconds before she heard the voice. “I'd prefer if you don't leave curses on a building I have so recently obtained.” Linna stood and turned, startled from her reverie by the woman who stood admiring the drawing upon the wall.
“I'm sorry, the sign said vacant and I didn't know someone had moved in. I didn't mean harm or anything.” The woman before her looked fae were it not for the ears, younger than Linna was, but with a look of experience that outweighed her own. Brilliant red hair was tied back in a short ponytail and violet eyes glanced between Linna herself and the graffiti on her wall. She wore a green sweater, a gold raven skull hung from her neck by a fine golden chain, black slacks tucked into trail-worn boots, leather gloves with fine runic embellishments, and a look of satisfaction on her soft features. Behind her, two wolf pups, one white and one grey, sat eyeing the elf.
“Home. A symbol of welcome and blessing. As far as curses go, this one is forgivable, it would think.” The woman shifted to face Linna directly and nodded her head. “I am Kira Adia, soon to be proprietor of a soon-to-be rune forge.” She nodded her head to the no longer vacant building. “What name may I call you?”
“Wylinna. Wylinna Newhaven.” She eyed Kira curiously. It was becoming clear Linna was not in danger of a fine. The mention of a rune forge caught her attention, however. “You work with runes? Are those yours?”
Kira held her left hand out, palm up. “Tell me what you make of this.” The pattern of runes was complex, difficult to follow, until she found the base rune that started the chain.
“This is a bind rune. An object is bound to the glove to be called upon at will. There are a number of variations on magic missile runes. A bow, maybe?” It followed no established pattern or school of rune-craft, but it was all there.
Kira was smiling when Linna returned her focus to the woman’s face. A distant fire burned in the violet eyes as they regarded her. “That is correct. And yes, I did make these myself. Would you like to work in the shop?”
The sudden question took her off guard. She needed a job. She had a week of cushion to keep her afloat before her inheritance ran out. The rest went into taxes for the house.
But job or no, Linna was still hesitant to take something unasked for from a stranger she just met, working in a building that, for all she knew, would soon be in the hands of the bank.
Kira must have seen the hesitation. She nodded. “I know this is sudden, but I will need some help. I cannot be at the store all day, every day. I have other obligations, both to research and to others.” She appeared to consider a moment. “Help me set up shop. Move some equipment in and get the forge in order. Consider my offer. If you are still uncertain, feel free to take your wages and move on. I see little risk in that much.”
She was reasonable in her arguments. Linna was more or less sold on the idea. But she wanted a bit more assurance. “I've been taught to be wary of making deals with fae.”
Kira laughed warmly at that. “I can assure you I am human. There is fae in my ancestry, many centuries ago.” She then took a small bag from a pouch at her belt and counted out a handful of Crowns. The hand extended once again, this time offering money. “Payment for your help tomorrow morning. I can meet you here, or at the Red Dragon, where I am currently living.”
She couldn't well refuse without being rude, so she took the Crowns and pocketed them. “I'll pick the Dragon. I could use a bit of coffee before we work.” She held out her hand for a handshake to seal the deal. “By the way, call me Linna.”
Kira smiled and nodded her head once again. “Pleased to meet you, Linna. Welcome to the Legacy Forge.”

Return to “Embers of House Adia”