Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Mistress of House Adia

Location: Adia Estate, south of the city on the border with Skoggard

Re: Kira's Journal

Post by Kira Adia »

Day 19
12/24/2020

On a whim, I find myself in the Wilds. I'm writing from a field camp about four hours south of the city gates. The Twins have already fallen asleep. They aren't used to this kind of travel, but they are well-behaved.
Tomorrow, we'll set traps for small game and I'll start training them on some basic commands. Nothing too fancy, just movement and basic obedience. I want to be sure Atal won't chase after a hare or a deer before I have a shot lined up. As I expected, Ithil seems to be more likely to stay close and stay put. She is almost attached to my hip sometimes.
While we are out, I'll try to trap and kill enough to make a bit of extra funds. I barely have enough to rent a storefront, but the investment would clean out what money I have left. I need to build a bit of cushion, so I don't go hungry.
I may need to consider looking for an assistant as well to help mind the shop. If nothing else, it would be good to have someone to handle sales work and do smaller commissions while I take the bigger jobs. And it will give me a chance to keep up with my hunts. I couldn't give this up.
Kira Adia
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Mistress of House Adia

Post by Kira Adia »

Day 21
12/26/2020

I had forgotten yesterday was Christmas. Not that I had any particular plans for the holiday. To be in the Wilds with the twins was celebration enough. It is a pity to see much of the decorations beginning to come down. There was a lot I had assumed was simply a part of the decor of the city. That said, there is a New Years celebration ahead, from what I have been told. Maybe I'll try to find some event happening that evening.
The trip was fruitful. I caught a few boars, an elk, and several small game. I've held on to a rabbit for the twins to enjoy later. It was beneficial, as I received word that the landlord had accepted my offer for the shop. I go to sign the paperwork tomorrow.
I need a name for the place.
The Sion of Adia
Blood of Adia
Thendozal Runes
Legacy of Thendozal
Legacy of Adia
Legacy Forge - That’s the one I think
The Twins
The Twin Wolves
The Huntress

Reminder to look at this list again before leaving in the morning
Kira Adia
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Mistress of House Adia

Post by Kira Adia »

An Unsent Letter

J,

I saw you again last night. Damn your face. The last time I had a full night’s sleep was so long ago. We were in the woods and you were in the other tent. I felt safer then.

Has it only been six months? It feels as though it's been years. My life couldn't be any more different now. I don't mean to imply I'm not safe. I am. I have friends. I have one who is more than a friend. You would have liked her.

I can't stop seeing you. In every crowd. Under ever black hood pulled tight against the cold. I see your hand on every word you wrote in the books I now study like holy scripture, as though doing so will bring you back.

Are you safe? Are you alive? Did you make it? You looked so accepting. You looked like you knew what would happen and you were at peace with it. I'm not. I don't accept this. You can't be gone because I'm still here. I did not want this. You left me alone. I left you behind. I let you die. I was the one they were after.

You will never read these words. You will never hear my voice. Even if you are alive, you are out of my reach. I am the last of us, just as you once were. I'll live in for both of us and learn what you once knew. House Aria is not dead. My souls is yours, and your soul is mine. So long as one of us stands, be both do.

Please be safe
-T
Kira Adia
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Mistress of House Adia

Post by Kira Adia »

Day 23
12/28/2020

I saw her last night. I went out for study and found a poetry gathering at Books and Brews. I decided to read Sappho on a whim. After I left I received word that Syl was back and had gone to the shop just after I had left!
We met on the streets by the riverfront. We walked for a while and spoke about a lot. I showed her my magic. It wasn't a date, but it was just as fulfilling.
Given recent history, I believe I should be reading poetry in bookshops more often. It can't hurt.

I have spend much of the first half of the day moving items into the shop. Paper was signed and money exchanged yesterday morning. A few hours later, I met Linna. She is a native to the city, newly returned after a long absence, and skilled with runes of the specific type I work in. Things were too perfect, so I hired her. She is helping me set up. I have only stopped to read for her to eat and rest. I've eaten, don't worry.
If all goes well, I can open the doors by the end of the weekend. There is a lot of work to do. I had best get to it.
Kira Adia
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Mistress of House Adia

Post by Kira Adia »

Day 26
12/31/2020

Today is New Year's Eve. On one hand, it seems obvious when you look at a calendar, on another, I hope one could forgive me for not noticing such things until it was pointed out to me.
I have missed a few days, but there is little to say. The shop is ready to open Monday. Linna finally agreed to take the job and will be working with the shop. I met a young tiefling named Truce. He is an artist of significant talent. I helped him find lodging here at the inn and will help him get his bearings.
Of interest: I met Viktor. Lady Syl’s lover, seemingly equal to Lord Mathian. He is likely the greatest threat to me, I have met thus far. I am a hunter. When I kill, it is because the kill is useful to me. He is a predator. No doubt death has utility for him as well, but I sense a pleasure in him I do not share. And unlike Lord Shadowsoul, I do not believe Mr., Ravenwood is particularly amused by me.
That may have been my fault. I was not exactly hospitable on first meeting, though I did not know who he was at the time. Nonetheless, I was careless, and I should not be again. I do not fear him now, and I should endeavor to keep it that way.

I have decided to attend a party to celebrate the coming new year. It will be here in the Inn. My understanding is, it will be smaller and less crowded than the other celebrations happening. It has never worked out for me thus far, but I would like to try to attend. I will never overcome this fear if I do not face it.
Kira Adia
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Mistress of House Adia

Post by Kira Adia »

Day 27
1-1-2021
I am writing from the new apartment Syl provided to me today. Most believe I am out of the city hunting. This was the original plan, but it is no longer feasible. I am in no condition to spent time in the Wilds alone.
I broke through. I found how Jame’s time jumps worked. His writing wrote of pain, but I never anticipated how bad it would be. I will need some time to recover before I make any significant attempts. I need to have the shop opened Monday and I can't afford to get hurt.
As much as I want to dig into this and find a way around it, I need to rest from that as well. My books and materials are left in my room in the Inn. So I cannot be tempted. I have only brought my journal and my copy of History in Verse. It will help me relax tonight.
The twins are with Truce. My mistress knows I am still here, as does Haru. I know at least one of them will be able to help if things become worse, but the pain seems to be subsiding.
For now, I will try to sleep. If I can fall asleep, I hope it lasts long enough to bring some rest before I am forced back to wakefulness.
Kira Adia
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Mistress of House Adia

Post by Kira Adia »

Day 29
1/3/2021

I am back at the Inn. I spent some time packing belongings until I found myself back in the journals. I have nearly everything decoded and transcribed, so I can read most of it without too much effort. There are sections missing still, but it is clear James was looking for a way to eliminate or reduce the side effects of using this chronomancy. According to his records, he overcame the initial process by taking a series of rapid, long-distance jumps with his mentor there to push him through it. I don't have that luxury, so ripping the bandage off is not an option.
It would be best to work around it anyway. If I had tempered my impatience and continued to study before my first jump, I would have found out why the pain happens.

Time doesn't simply lose its grip with repeated jumps. It's more like the portion of my essence that connects with time is forcibly severed. It's an amputation. It takes time because the process it like amputating one’s arm with a series of blows with a blunt axe. Messy, traumatic, dangerous, and it never truly heals.
There are the beginnings of research into a more “surgical” approach to the process, as well as a few unworked theories on bypassing the process entirely. I'll need to consider each and decide how to go forward.

The pain is no more than a dull ache now. The wound is healing slowly; spikes of sharp pain are rare now. From what James wrote, he still experienced a dull, distant pain decades after he mastered the skill. It's no wonder he used traditional ports and passage during our flight into exile. He had hoped to solve the problem before I needed to learn the hard way.

There is a magic tournament tonight. I expect I shall go to cheer on Syl and Haru. Both are listed at competitors. I won't be eligible for a tournament until spring.
Kira Adia
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Mistress of House Adia

Post by Kira Adia »

Day 30
1/4/2021

The shop has opened today. First day jitters proved unnecessary. It was suitably slow. I excused Linna for the day by midday and took a walk through the city. That's not to say there was no business. We sold a few pre made pieces. All it takes is to get the word out and get commission work in. Some patience is all it takes.

More progress in the journals as well. I think it is safe to say everything is decoded and transcribed. I have a few sections to go over again to look for anything I missed, but the text appears complete. The final product is itself multi layered. Mastery of certain sections will provide context for decoding a new layer under that. It is elegant and will involve further transcription as time goes on. The encryption is exceptionally elegant. There are several volumes worth of work in this one tome. I can only imagine how much work went into creating this.

All of it was insurance. In case he didn't make it. There are a few coded locations and instructions. I verified one. There are caches of materials in various places. Some will require jumps to other times or worlds to find. All of it is concealed.

In a way, this grimoire is a last will and testament. Everything is here, left for me to find.

I've found his research on bypassing the side effects of jump travel and related skills. I still feel the ache of the last jump. I have all he had at the time he completed this. It is time to add to his work with my own.
James Adia
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Post by James Adia »

T

First: I’m alive, I’ve healed, and I’m safe. I’m incognito, and I have no problem hiding out for a century if needed until they’ve forgotten about me. I have all the time in the world.

You left because I told you to. I did not give you a choice. You would have died there and I do not regret what happened. You are safe and I hope you are happy. Do not blame yourself.

I do not know how it is I can get this message to you now. The Nexus is forever severed from this region of the multiverse. I assume you have repaired the watch. In addition to its obvious functions, it is also an anchor to help making jumps easier. Keep it on you.

I'm using up more power than I have available to send this one message. I don't know if I'll have a chance for another. Do not count on it.

I hope you’re happy. I know you’re safe. I pray that you are thriving. There are a few RhyDin variants. You know by now I didn’t send you to mine. This one suits you better. And no matter where you are, the Red Dragon Inn is always home.

Thank you for clearing my tab. That means a lot. I had two debts to pay and the other is out of your reach.

You are half of my soul, as I am half of yours.

J
Kira Adia
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Mistress of House Adia

Post by Kira Adia »

Day 33
1/7/2021

James is alive

I still can't process this news. I've been questioning and wondering for seven weeks if he even survived. Now I have confirmation he did. I can't figure out how I feel.

There has to be a way to get him back. He got a message through, so he is not completely cut off.

Two offers for help from friends already. I treasure and cherish them, and if needed, I will take them up on it. For now, the only thing that will help is somewhere in these notes and journals. The lessons he left behind. Chronomancy is where I need to start. I know what's next on that line of study.
Kira Adia
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Mistress of House Adia

Post by Kira Adia »

Day 39
1/13/2021
1 AM

Syl is in a coma. She's trying to fight off this thing that's chasing her and something went wrong.

I've been working all weekend on this ritual. James made a few mistakes, but I fixed them. It will work now.

I was going to get help. But there's no time anymore. I have to save her. I have to try.

I'll do this now. This will make it so I can use the Chronomancy. I'll be able to leave, go anywhere at any time.

I can go back. Back to the world at the border. Back to before that day. I can find him and bring him back to help. He has to help. He'll understand.

If that doesn't work, maybe I can find him here, in the Nexus, in another time. I have his journal, his notes. I can track him down and find him.

I'll start now. It will be done soon, and I can help.
Kira Adia
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Mistress of House Adia

Post by Kira Adia »

Day 46
1/20/2021

The spell worked. I'm still recovering, however. I should not have done the spell alone. It was dangerous and I was foolish. I lost two days when I jumped to Luna's home, then was stuck in bed for four days as I recovered. I'm back in the city now.

As soon as I returned to the city, a number of things happened. First, Haru is in danger. He was threatened directly, which I knew about and had been helping him. Then my store was attacked. If Linna had been at work instead of with him (and I not in a bed recovering) she could have been hurt or worse. So the two of them went into hiding.

Haru gave me the location of some of his attackers, and I dealt with them. But immediately after, I found James. He was here, already in the city. I nearly died trying to prepare myself to leave and go looking for him. I would have missed him entirely if I'd followed through with my plan and possibly died while I was out there.

I was foolish. All of it was to attempt to help Syl, and I do not regret any of it. I'll have to live the rest of my life with the consequences of that mistake, and my life could very well go on indefinitely now.

The best thing I can do for Syl right now is watch over the kids, and Haru needs help now. That's what I'll do now. And when I can, I'll speak to James about what is happening to Syl. He can help, I now he can.
Kira Adia
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Mistress of House Adia

Post by Kira Adia »

1/23/2021

I have said as long as I have known her that Syl will be the death of me. One way or another. And I believe that trend continues now.

Her journal perplexes me. It's not heavily encoded, but it doesn't seem to be written in a language I can even approximate. So my first guess is to go back to her native tongue. Gideon tells me the script is one he does not read, but I want to rule it out. I am working on making a table to recognize common characters and rule out runes. I can see some of the later, but without a better understanding of the underlying language, that is as far as I can get.

I am fortunate she does not feel the same need for secrecy and encryption James does. To have both an unfamiliar language and an unfamiliar encryption method at the same time may have foiled any attempt at understanding

If I’m lucky, I can start to make some rough associations between the characters in the journal and the characters in the Mysterian books Gideon and Luna provided me. Maybe I can give the two of them something to work from while I work on making sense of the runes. I can show Luna my preliminary work before we begin our hunt tomorrow, after Luna has rested.

All of this is to say: I am out of the dirt for the time being. Syl has the men and Haru has Linna (and Earth). I am not needed, and I am unraveling. Luna has offered to take me to her home and go hunting. I no longer sleep and I need a way to pass the hours of rest Luna needs. I hope she does not keep depriving herself of sleep for my sake. She is a healer, and I am her patient, so I understand her desire to check my observations about my lack of sleep. She does not want me suffering from a delusion or invulnerability, and in my current mental state, I do not blame her.

I am in the wilderness, on a hunt with a friend, and I have an exercise to focus my mind. I hope this works.
Kira Adia
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Mistress of House Adia

Post by Kira Adia »

1/26/2021

I feel as though I have stalled in my progress. Work is getting done. Characters are being counted. My notes are showing some improvement. But I am no closer to understanding the journal itself. I caught myself growing obsessive over the text and had to stop myself for a day. Replacing one obsession with another will not bring me healing.

I have spoken with Syl briefly, over text message. She misses seeing people, and I miss her. We are both locked away for different reasons and in different ways. Healing is an uncomfortably long process. But it is something we both need.

I have been thinking more about home while I have been out here. Not due to any similarities. But with some distance from the city and with time spent processing and thinking, memories are coming to me more and more. Things I loved about Thendozal and wish I could see again. Thoughts of mother and everything that happened. This has led to unpleasant things as well. What I suffered and what happened. I am fortunate these thoughts happen during our hunt. It is easier to remain detached and focused. But it is difficult.

Luna is stirring. She stopped denying herself sleep. I'm assuming she has determined I am correct this time, I no longer require sleep. But she still sleeps lightly. As though she is afraid I will sneak off and do something reckless. I do not blame her. It's not like I've never done that before.
Kira Adia
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Mistress of House Adia

Post by Kira Adia »

As James visited the Red Dragon for a break from his day-to-day, he found himself staying in room 31, still paid for by Kira’s account. While browsing through Kira’s private collection, he found Kira’s journal from the earliest days of her stay in Rhy’Din. It was heavily encoded in the family cypher, but as an Adia himself, James could read it. He skimmed with interest, noting the various moments she hadn’t fully elaborated on in her accounts to him, until coming to the last written page in the journal.

undated entry

I found the path. I’m on my way. Keep the fire burning until I’m back.

-T

Return to “Embers of House Adia”