You're Under Arrest!

Revisiting a place that was once called home, be careful not to bite off more than you can chew.

Moderators: Reiko Souma, Arla Carna

Reiko Souma
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

You're Under Arrest!

Post by Reiko Souma »

*Originally played live on 20 May 2020.

Hours have passed since Reiko separated from the group of shoppers to buy the medicine she thought she'd need for her apparent cold. It had been a quick purchase, in and out within two minutes. After her departure from the store to start wandering back towards the Perch to get her car was when things had gone weird. Her walk had slowed. Cold beads of sweat had rolled down her face and neck, her head dipping down. And with that...the woman had fallen face first to the ground, unable to use her telekinesis to catch herself.

Upon coming to, Reiko found herself lying in the same place she'd passed out in. I...passed out? This wasn't good. Reiko looked around whilst inspecting her person. Nothing had been taken from her. Good. That she hadn't been moved was both relieving and concerning. Had nobody thought of taking her to the hospital to be checked for a concussion? It was probably for the best, seeing as she didn't feel like she had one. Then again, all she could feel was that fever of hers. It had worsened. What was happening?

SMASH!!! All around Reiko, windows shattered. Those who had set up their breakable wares to sell as outdoor vendors were also watching their displayed inventory shatter before their eyes. Oh, that poor elderly woman who had been holding a beautiful pink and purple vase that she'd been about to buy. It was now in many pieces, both in her hands and on the ground at her feet. Those who wore glasses now found them broken as well. Expenses were racking up for damaged items now, and these poor souls had no idea of the cause.

When the woman coughed, lowering her arms after raising them to shield herself from falling glass, she looked up to see the metal pole nearest her bending at an unnatural angle. It wouldn't be providing any light right now anyways since both the housing and the bulbs themselves had been among the objects shattered. And Reiko? The woman gasped. *Stop it...please stop! She shut her eyes, pressing her hands to her temples.

"It's not my fault...it's not my fault! Please don't hurt me!" Reiko cried, "I didn't mean it, forgive me!"

The woman was crying out to nobody in front of her, for sure. Nobody was in front of her at all was why. Rather than pay any attention to the Albino who seemed to be in the behaviour of a patient who had just fled from a hospital, the others around her were scrambling around to try cleaning up all of the shards of brokenness. They were pretty upset, and quite understandably so, that everything now had to be replaced. Just who, or what, had caused this?

"Please stop...don't come near me!" The woman was now covering her face with her hands. Curling up into a ball, she attempted to focus on putting a stop to this breaking business. She wasn't a dummy by any means. Reiko knew that the mug shattering at the Perch earlier had been entirely her fault. Unless there was another psychic out there who had done so as a prank, there was nobody else to blame except for her. It was obvious.

A man, seeing the curled-up Albino freaking out, saw a second metal pole bend unnaturally and came to a stop. "You. Are you responsible for this?" he demanded. He looked none too happy and froze when the two metal poles started to stretch, almost in a comedic manner. "You are responsible! I hope you can pay for this, woman! You owe a lot of money!"

Great. I don't need this right now! the huddled-up Reiko thought. Her hands moved slightly, but only to reveal pink hues that were wide with surprise. Stop it stop it stop it stop it! The woman was trying to regain the focus that she needed so badly right now. Unfortunately for her, the man standing in front of her looked very angry. "Me...it was me! But, I'm trying so hard to control it!" Reiko burst. Followed by a coughing fit, she curled up again. This time, it was to take her medicine out of the little bag she carried and actually take it.

What would go away first, her sickness or the seemingly uncontrollable telekinesis. Reiko hoped for the latter, and she placed her hand onto the wall behind her for support as she started to rise from the ground. "And just where do you think you're going?" the angry man demanded. He was of the mind to pick something up to threaten her with, but only threaten. "You'd better not think of disappearing, girl!"

"I'm going to look for the Watch...and turn myself in." Her eyes narrowed. The two already-warped metal poles now thinned. They wrapped around the man loosely and with no intent to cause harm. "Leave me alone!" At that, wood crates burst open. Produce spilt forth from their confines.

Great. That was even more that the ailing woman would have to pay for. Breakable objects and windows shattering, metal poles warping and bending at unnatural angles, and now wooden crates broke. No more, please...no more. Not that she couldn't afford it (she could, in spades), Reiko just felt pretty damn horrible for what was happening. This was her fault. It was all her damn fault.

"Don't move!" The Albino had started to walk away in the direction of what she thought was the nearest Watch station. Five steps out wasn't exactly far before she heard the command coming from behind. Turning, she saw the Watch officer who had given the order...along with ten others. "We received multiple calls of things breaking all over the block and find this with you next to it." The officers surrounded Reiko as the one spoke. "Is there any reason we shouldn't arrest you right now?"

The woman shook her head no. "No, sir...I was about to turn myself in." Reiko raised her hands up as high as her head after coughing into the crook of her elbow some. She dipped her head down in shame. "I know this is my fault, so I offer no resistance if you intend to arrest me. I-I can't control my telekinesis right now...I'm so sorry, officers."

The eleven exchanged glances. Clearly, this woman was troubled. They couldn't take any risks, however, and even more so now that they knew she possessed psychic abilities. No, they had to bring her in. "You're under arrest for multiple counts of destruction of property." As Reiko was read her rights, she let the guilt show on her face. Her hands were lowered behind her back, and out came the cuffs. "Make sure those are the resistant cuffs." They were. The shivering Reiko wouldn't be using her abilities again just yet. "And make sure we get her a doctor!" Was the last thing said as the eleven officers led the cuffed Reiko away.

Nothing else would be broken by her anytime soon.
Reiko Souma
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

21 May 20xx: Father, forgive me...not?

Post by Reiko Souma »

There's one fundamental lesson to be learnt here, folks, and it's much preferred if you learn it the easy way. Don't go out if you're feeling sick and are having trouble with control of any abilities you might have. Just don't. Bad things just might happen if you do, and yes. Bad things did happen to Reiko. What sort of bad things? A rewind to what transpired yesterday may help with that. Oh, but don't worry. This recap won't take long. Accidentally shattering a mug at the Perch with her telekinesis, and then excusing herself through the back door for her telekinesis to lose control further and destroy thousands of Nobles' worth of property and structures, resulted in Reiko's arrest and lockup in jail for the night.

The Watch precinct that she had spent the night in was where she'd come from this morning. Well, after easily paying for her bail and having a swift, but suitable, civil punishment handed down to her. Eight weeks of community service. That's right, two months of community service. Forget about a certain number of hours here. In addition to the community service, Reiko was barred from trying to buy her way out of completing her sentence or using any of her abilities in an attempt of making things easier to do. That would be cheating; cheating was in no way permitted in that it would defeat the purpose of the lesson to be taught.

Reiko should know very well the joys and pains of working hard through manual labour. She owns and operates her own business at home on Terra, for Fate's sake! She's seen some of her own work being destroyed as well, which is why she both empathised with the business owners and complied without any objection. Would it suck to work outside when the weather made its transition from spring to summer? It would, which is why she wanted to complete this without doing anything to screw up her current circumstances. Now was the time to complete all of the necessary outdoor work. Only then would she be able to volunteer her time at indoor venues for the remainder of her eight-week sentence.

A doctor had been called in to examine the Albino prior to her release. Unable to diagnose with complete accuracy due to the cold being tied to her evolving abilities and thus suppressed, he was at a loss. Reiko was on her own in that area, so she did what she was best known for doing and walked to the Inn with a little bit of a swagger in her step. She was fatigued, and she really needed to rest, but she had an excuse for that. The woman didn't want to be alone. She wanted to be around people, and what better way to do that than to hang out at a tavern? There was even a horse there named Pear, and its handler was letting patrons pet or feed it. Or both. After watching it and someone she didn't recognise seemingly "bond" in some kind of friendship, Reiko decided that she too wanted to pet the horse. It was all she could offer at the time. Next time, she promised, she would offer a pear or an apple.

To see Roni and Siobhan again, especially together, was a breath of fresh air. Eating the brunch that Roni had made and drinking a fresh cup of coffee, a couple of stray thoughts made their way into Reiko's mind. She didn't need even a millisecond to realise that these thoughts weren't her own. The images they saw, they belonged to another. They belonged to two others, one being far more private than the other. Images of drops of blood, tears, and feelings of comfourt were attached to the first. Images of food and of a battle of sorts that ended with the smuggling out of others from a land Reiko didn't recognise was a relieving second.

How strange she must have sounded when telling Siobhan and Roni to hang on to what they have as a bond. It was truly a beautiful sighed to behold. Telling Siobhan what she saw had been a mistake, at least at first, until given a chance to explain that telepathy has been an issue in recent days. It was nice to be forgiven. Alas, not too long after, the mug holding Reiko's battery acid-coloured coffee shattered.

Lovely.

She had to go. Where, preferably somewhere quiet that still had a few patrons around. Reiko still didn't want to be alone, so she felt the Perch was a suitable place to be. To the Perch it was, where the beautiful piano notes greeted her. Indeed there were a few patrons sitting about quietly, enjoying the lovely piece as they either ate or drank (or both). Sitting wasn't going to happen just yet, not for Reiko. No, the woman wanted to greet the pianist...whoever he was.

What a pleasant surprise to see that priest as the pianist. Father Jakob, Reiko believed his name was, as was confirmed. Perfect. Now the woman could apologise for the horrible first impression that she felt she had indirectly made with him. Sitting not too close to the piano, the woman did just that – and was pleasantly surprised with the kind response. So, all was well with the good Father, was it..? For now, the woman would pass on wanting to pour out her miles-long list of confessions to him. Instead, she was quiet as she continued to listen to the music being played, enjoying, as one piece ended. A lull, and then the next began. Someone else soon arrived, someone who seemed to be expecting the priest's company...

...and Reiko rose from the chair, soon leaving the Perch and its patrons behind for the start of her community service.

–•–•–•–

Location: Behind the Perch, where Reiko's telekinesis had wreaked destruction

Upon arrival, the first change to the woman's wardrobe was the addition of her headband. It had been designed for her years ago when she had been in poor control of her abilities, the origin then having once been thought to be her adjustment to Rhy'din. The actual origin of such was best explained another time, in another place; just know that the headband was being worn for protection. It was to be worn for the entirety of Reiko's eight-week sentence.

Guess what else was to be worn? A worker's vest that was highlighter yellow with silver striping for nighttime labour. It was handed out to the Albino when she introduced herself, and she made a face at the colours. Although not a beggar, she couldn't be a chooser in this situation. The woman had to grit it and bear it.

Sigh. It was a silent sigh that parted her lips as she listened to the first set of directions that were given to her. She was to start with replacing the windows that she had broken. Okay, she could do that. She didn't exactly know how to replace windows, but she was going to. The property owner had already taken the liberty of boarding up the windows with plywood. Reiko was aware that she would have to pay for that and for the cost of replacement windows, and she was right. She had to pay for it all.

I would be so screwed right now if I didn't have my own sustainable income and resources... Reiko couldn't help thinking as she was given the bill for the plywood and the replacement windows. The latter would be coming in tomorrow, a rush order that had been placed with the local company that made windows. Since there was nothing any of them could do about that today, she was to start on replacing the wooden crates. This, she could do with ease. No, this didn't include using any abilities that she wasn't allowed to use. She was only the owner of a woodcraft shop and had learnt to make things by hand, after all.

Fifteen wooden crates. That's how many Reiko had to rebuild. The tools were provided for her in the form of a hammer and nails. She didn't have to pay for those because those had already been owned, but she would be expected to come prepared with her own toolbox starting tomorrow. "Think you can handle that, little miss?" Stol, one of the owners of a business whose street vending cart and crates Reiko had utterly destroyed, asked.

Reiko grabbed a sheet of plywood and a nearby measuring tape to measure out the dimensions of a crate as ordered. "What do I look like, the business owner of a woodcraft shop or something?" she asked as she started expertly measure and mark off the dimensions for the crates on all of the plywood. "Where do you keep your circular saw, Stol? I need to cut these down to size and use the remnants to make your new crates more secure than the old ones."

"I'd say you look more like a young woman who's lucky to be alive." The man pointed to a garage that had the door wide open. When following it with her eyes, Reiko could see the saw and other needed tools set up for her to work with, and started to walk towards it. "Hold off a moment, Reiko." The woman stopped, turning halfway. "Let me ask you something. Have you dealt with the law before?"

The woman nodded. "I'm a veteran of the Schian'tlo Defence Force in my home planet of Terra," Reiko said, and turned again to carry the measured and marked wood to the open garage. She didn't want to talk about it, or about any of her past dealings with conflict. Instead, she just wanted to get the work done. Her eight weeks were already filled with a laundry list of things for her to do without the need for anything to make that list longer.

The sounds of one sheet of wood being placed on the table to be cut down to size, followed by the sound of the circular saw powering on and cutting, were soon heard coming from the garage.
Reiko Souma
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

23 May 20xx: Windows

Post by Reiko Souma »

"She only speaks when it's important, which is almost never. Other than that, she remains silent." One of those who oversaw Reiko's community service progress was watching the woman work. The windows were to be replaced today, all of the wood crates and vendor stands having been done already. Stol was standing next to the man who was there to oversee, doing the talking. "The woman's an unusual one. Works without complaint, which is great for her. The way she carries herself...can't tell from looking at her how strong she is. Stronger than she looks."

The overseer looked at Stol. An eyebrow raised. "So, what's unusual about that?" he asked, "We see people like that everywhere. It's Rhy'din, Stol."

"Watch. You'll see what I mean," was all Stol would say before both men fell into silence and started to watch. Reiko had been given direction on how to safely remove the broken windows from their place and, with help from one of the construction employees, install the new windows. With her ugly vest over her all-black ensemble of a short-sleeved shirt and shorts, socks, and sneakers (and of course, her "magic-proof" headband), she was standing on a short scaffold that had been set up for the work to be done. The two men watched as the pair on the scaffolding first cleaned the opening with a vacuum and then applied flashing tape to the sill. Where the surprise came in was when she lifted the window like it was nothing and then placed it into the opening. A dry fit, it was called.

The overseer, a man named Devin who was shorter than Reiko, was admittedly impressed. "I see it. She's definitely stronger than she looks." He focused his attention on Reiko's head. "You see that black headband she's got on? It's not just a fashion accessory, mind you. That right there is keeping her from using any of those abilities of hers that caused this destruction and her predicament to begin with. We're seeing pure physical strength at work right there...make sure that headband stays on at all times." Devin continued to watch as the window replacement process continued. Two more construction employees soon joined Reiko and the first to help with speeding up the window replacement process.

By the seventh window, Stol was starting to get hungry. If he was getting hungry from working on his own store whilst watching Reiko work, then he was willing to bet that the woman was starving. "Hey, Reiko!" The woman stopped right as the seventh window had finished being installed and turned. "You must be pretty hungry. Come on down...take a chow break!"

Rather than speak, the woman nodded. The setup of the scaffold was only a couple of metres from the ground, making it low enough for Reiko to jump down with her arms spread beside her with ease. What was she supposed to eat? The woman had forgotten to bring a lunch. She wasn't used to being home enough to keep any food in her cabinets or in her fridge; now that she was home everyday, she was trying to get used to it. It felt strange. Reiko was like a butterfly who particularly enjoyed wandering about like a free spirit.

Devin was the first to speak. "So, Reiko. What are you thinking of your community service so far?" he asked. He knew from when Reiko had been given the vest to wear that she hated the colour combination so much. The face she'd made when it was given to her was priceless. Community service wasn't a fashion show.

"It's work, and it has to be done. That's what I think of it," was the woman's response. She started to think of nearby places she could go for lunch, including the Perch itself. It was only right there, after all. There were other places nearby that she could go to as well, but there was definitely the Perch. "I'm buying lunch at the Perch and will return as soon as I can." Reiko started to walk off...

...only to be stopped. "Just a moment, Reiko." Her feet paused in their movement at the sound of Stol's voice. She turned halfway to face him and Devin. "I ordered pizza that's due to arrive any minute. Won't you stay and have some with us?" At first, the woman turned away. She thought about it for a moment whilst the two men watched her. Then,

"I'll stay."

Stol smiled at this.
Reiko Souma
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

25 May 20xx: Garden of Ire

Post by Reiko Souma »

*Note: This was played out live on Twilight Isle with Rachael Blackthorne, Max Lager, Royal, Alasdair, Eregor, and others. If any colours need changed, then please DM me on Discord. Thank you!

What a day today has been. Ordinarily, Reiko would be at home on Terra. Since the hard-to-control abilities of hers had gone haywire at the most inopportune moment, however, she's been here in Rhy'din for the last several days. Given the sentence of eight weeks of community service with absolutely no shortcuts to be used in any way, the woman was forced to work just as hard - if not harder - than she usually did at her own shop. It was a lot, but it was a learning experience. It was also exhausting. So far, Reiko's had to replace all of the windows that had been broken by her telekinesis. She's also had to pay for all of the damages that her evolving abilities had caused. Oh, but she was just getting started. This was only day five of fifty-six.

Today's community service had consisted of the woman using her newly-acquired manual labour skills to replace the last of the windows that had been broken. After that, she'd started on her first lesson in spinning pottery...without actually spinning any pottery. Clay. Reiko had to learn about clay. It wasn't a bed of flowers, either. Speaking of beds and flowers, the Albino would eventually need to sleep. But, not just yet. There was an uneasy feeling within her gut, one that just could not be shaken as of yet. Something is wrong...something feels so wrong...I've felt so uneasy today, but without being allowed to use my telepathy, I couldn't determine whether that really was her cry I heard, or if I was just imagining things. There had been cats wandering about the site of her clay lesson, after all.

The stone staircase began its descent from the Earth Tower, step by step. The regal figure of the Keeper, clad in flowing silk robes of black and gold, moved down the stairs. To those sensitive to emotions, waves of barely restrained anger were almost visible around her. In her arms resided a trembling little yellow tabby kitten whose green eyes seemed to take up half of that little furred face.

"But I want to play..." said the little pixie sitting upon Royal's shoulder as the woman stepped out from the forest line. The ever-present sakura trees swayed in the soft sea breeze of the Isle and almost seemed to coax the pixie to go do something else, but it decided to cling against Royal's shoulder instead while she continued the trek to meet up with Max.

Max wasn't an empath, but the sweet kitten was easy to spot, even moreso when she was actively looking for her. Though Rachael was angry, Max was offering her and the tabby an understanding smile. "We're here to help," she greeted Rachael and cast a look over her shoulder, hearing Royal and the pixie in the distance.

"Oh! Yeah, I've been here before! But still getting my bearings, so thanks for guiding me!" Alasdair smiled to the goblins who had helpfully led the way. He spotted Royal and offered a smile, then approached Max.

"Merci. It is most fortunate that the grandkittens were within the confines of the Tower and engaged in their daily lessons when this...occurred." Rachael’s tone remained its usual calm, but behind those dark lenses of her sunglasses, her sapphire hued gaze glowed deep green.

Gunblade settled against her shoulder, which the pixie began to climb and settle at the very tip of without issue. Royal gave a small lift of the hand and a wave, but stopped somewhat short of the gathering group. She was here more for keeping an eye on things, since this type of magic wasn't her forte. "Don't you want to go help?" She said to the pixie, who did have a green thumb. The pixie seemed to be thinking this over, and a little over-exaggerated at that, enough for it to lean too far to the left and fall right off the gunblade. The pixies wings fluttered so that it could take to the air and quickly zoomed over to flutter next to Max.

"Glad to hear the kittens are fine!" Alasdair gave a smile to Rachael whilst giving a tiny wave to the kitten in her arms.

Max offered a bigger smile to Alasdair (indicating she couldn't help herself to smile so wide around him), but then gestured to the source of Rachael's ire as if to silently explain why she'd called him and was so alert and awake right now. She's even fully dressed and looks ready to work. The fluttering pixie was given a smaller smile as it approached her. "We'll see what Keeper Blackthorne tasks us with and help her, yes? Your people, your Kingdom and King, everything is fine?" Then her voice rose a bit, speaking to all of them. "I've heard word that every creature on land and in the air are doing well and are accounted for by the way. No one has been harmed. I feel confident that Eregor will check on anything near his Tower," Max said.

Mayflower looked up and waved a tiny paw to Alasdair. "Oui, Mayflower and the other grandkittens are usually active in the gardens tending the plants when their lessons are done for the day. However, Moneypenny, Bond and Cinder decided to keep them a bit longer to go over some fine points of Cuteness lessons when it is utilised to gain treats."

"Of course. There is no magic strong enough to touch our King! The barrier of the First King will always stand, always. Until it doesn't, but I don't think that will be happening anytime soon! Maybe if our King turns it off, but that would be bad. So I guess not!" The pixie fluttered up a little, spun, then floats back down a touch before continuing to hover.

"Cuteness lessons," he repeated with a grin. "That's adorable." He then cleared his throat and gave an apologetic smile to everyone, since they had business to get to.

"As for what needs to be done, I believe that the esteemed Keeper of Fire has started the process by triggering a controlled eruption for fresh volcanic soil to restore the damaged areas. We will also need the assistance of the esteemed Water Keeper to sustain those plants with his particular talents. We will have to consult with the esteemed Air Keeper to devise a defense to prevent such a catastrophe from occurring again."
Reiko Souma
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

25 May 20xx: Garden of Ire (cont'd)

Post by Reiko Souma »

Reiko had come through a portal upon entry, which brought her to the southern end of this Isle. Despite her being rather tired from nine hours of work, she was ignoring it...for now. In truth, this was the Albino's first time coming to this place in a long time. She had to remember where things were. What better way to remember than to let her gut lead her? Even better, there was her voice, quiet as it was.
"Hello..? M'Tante?" Reiko knew this wouldn't be the most effective way of trying to find the woman she still regarded as her adoptive aunt. "Mayflower?" She was trying her hardest to search whilst walking north. As she did walk, she found herself walking closer to the rings. No, that couldn't be it. Damnit. Please forgive me, M'Tante...for Mayflower, I must remove my headband.

Only then, following her own thought, did Reiko reach both of her hands behind her head. There was a moment in which she paused to untie the black magicked band, and then it was in her pocket. Lo and behold, not much walking would have to be done. There was Rachael, or the backside of her anyways. "M'Tante! Mayflower!" Reiko called. Her walk became a jog as she hurried over with minimal effort. There was the tabby kitten in her grandmother's arms...was she trembling? "Mayflower!" Reiko didn't intend to ignore anybody else as she looked to the kitten whose cry she thought she had heard earlier. "What happe-" Turning, the Albino saw it. And gasped. "Oh no...the garden! What happened to the garden?!" she cried in a panick.

Mayflower mewed and reached out to Reiko.

"There are honeycakes being sent, and one large one with your name on it for no tricks or pranks while we work on getting things back in order here," Max promised to the pixie and soon sending a smile to Reiko as she arrived and Mayflower began to reach for the woman. Rachael's explanation of things was given a nod, followed up with a pleased smile. "Wonderful, wonderful. I'm here with seeds if you need them and general assistance and can provide a dome of protection for now if you wish."

"But I bring dream lilies! The lilies of our dear King!" Or at least the seeds, which the pixie held up happily. "If they are accepted, that is.." Then seemed a little worried! "They give pleasant dreams to those who smell them…we love them lots…they are closely guarded, but our King wanted to share." The talk of honeycakes, and a large one with the pixie’s name on it, had the small creature spinning in delight.

"Good evening," Eregor said as he joined the gathering.

"Seeds will be most welcome, merci. Some cuttings from the Berry plants will also need to be transplanted." Her attention turned to the Pixie. "Such a generous gifting is more than welcome, and I am deeply grateful for it."

"Hehe!" the pixie giggled in delight at Rachael's acceptance. The pixie began to spin and dance more.

"Cook and Cook will also provide a fortnight worth of honeycakes for both you and the generosity of your King."

"I uh, have a water gem! Or I can make something if anyone has ideas about prevention methods. Maybe mix in some technology for a failsafe with magic." Alasdair rubbed his chin while furrowing his brow, thinking.

Hearing the mew from behind her, Reiko immediately turned again to face both Rachael and Mayflower. The look on the mage's face was unlike anything she's ever seen in how long she's known the other for. The garden...no wonder Mayflower's in so much pain. The woman reached out to give the tabby cat the softest of pettings to the top of her head. "Oh, Mayflower...I'm so sorry. I heard your cry and came as soon as I was able to." Only she and Rachael could see the tears forming and falling from Reiko's eyes. She hoped she could do her best to comfourt her niece when she hurt with her, for her.
Reiko Souma
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Reiko Souma »

"So much honeycakes…they will last us five weeks…no, a week! Possibly days, maybe hours…" The pixie couldn't make up its mind, but was happy nonetheless! Obviously the pixie had no clue what a fortnight is!

Max released a slow whistle at Rachael's offer of honeycakes and winked to the dancing pixie before smiling Eregor's way. "It is good to see you, how are things?" she asked before reaching out to squeeze Alasdair's hand at his offer.

Mayflower purred with the pettings. "I wanted to fix the gardeny, but Daddy put his paws down an' said I'd get bad bad sick if I tried to fix it all by myself." She hung down her head in shame.

Alasdair gave a bright grin and returned the squeeze to Max's hand, glancing to her before looking back out to the gathered crowd.

Though his expression remained calm, there was a hardness in Eregor’s eyes that matched Rachael's expression. He looked at the ruined gardens and drew a shuddering breath. "It's as bad here as I feared...worse than the lagoon. Perhaps because the Garden was such a focal point."

"Alasdair... everyone... your generosity... I appreciate it far more than words can express."

"We're all a family here on the Isle, we have to stick together." Royal said with a nod and a flash of a smile to Rachael. The pixie spun and agreed with a cry of agreement.

"Mais oui."

"Do you require additional assistance over there as well?" Her question hadn't meant to sound sharp to Eregor, and her expression softened at Royal's addition while Max nodded.

It wasn't often (if at all) that Max got prickly, but it seemed that the woman took her role as a caretaker of the Isle very seriously. "Agreed." He spotted Mayflower and reached out to pet her gently while looking to Max. "About a third of the reef is now dead, and the mangroves are withered...but I believe I will be able to restore them. Thank you, though; if I need aid, I will ask. What of the goblins, the gaelkittens, and all the others who live on the Isle? How were they affected?"

Reiko continued with petting Mayflower. She was happy that the kitten was still able to purr, even after...well, whatever had happened to the garden had happened. "It looks like your Daddy was wise to put his paws down, Mayflower," the still-crying woman said. She was trying her very hardest to make sure that the tears didn't become anything more than just those, tears. "What happened here...it's too big for you to try fixing by yourself. It looks like everybody is here to help you get your garden back so that you can be in it again."

Having said that, Reiko looked up to Rachael. She waited a moment, not wanting to interrupt. Then she asked, "M'Tante...I can't do squat in the way of magic, especially right now. But, I'd like to help somehow. What can I do?"

"I turned a goblin into a mouse today." The pixie said happily, as if there wasn't anything the matter with playing pranks! It even hand hands on its hips while nodding.

"Kinda live here now, so I'll help however I can so something like this doesn't happen again." He added, then looked to the Pixie. He almost said aloud that he wondered what it's like to be a mouse, but remembered his lesson from last time and somehow managed to keep his curiosity in check.

Mayflower purred with the attention. Rachael turned to Reiko. "Watch over Mayflower during the proceedings. She needs a familiar presence to anchor her, and I will be otherwise occupied."

To that, the Albino nodded. "You've got it," she said, and she reached out her other hand to gently retrieve Mayflower from Rachael. With her watching over the kitten, Reiko believed that they could both help each other. Strengthen each other. Whatever, or whoever, caused this...I've never seen M'Tante like this before. Then again, I haven't felt such a strong uneasiness and pain like this. Rachael’s measured strides paced the others after she transferred custody of her grandkitten to Reiko.

"They are all unharmed," she explained to Eregor, "if you need anything, please do not hesitate to ask." A stern expression, not fitting for Max to give Eregor, the Timelord of course, but it was in an attempt to remind him to feel free to rely on any of them. "Should it be too much of course." Trying for a smile and mostly getting there. "Come," she waved to Alasdair and the pixie, "we will start on the seedlings," suggesting and starting for one second of land while she produced a pouch from her hip.

Following after Max, Alasdair waved to the pixie. "Why a mouse?" he asked. He couldn't help it.

"I could use some fresh earth to place around the mangrove roots," Eregor said as he looked to Rachael. "It'll give them something to draw strength from as they grow back."

"Because I turned him into a cat the day before! What is a cat without a mouse?" The pixie laughed happily at this.

"I will inform Mallory. The soil that she has produced from her Tower grounds has quite amazing fecundity in terms of the plants."

Alasdair bobbed his head a few times. He couldn't really argue with that logic!

"The pixie won't tell me about their water cousins." Royal said, but the pixie puffed its cheeks and crossed their arms! "We're quarreling.. they stole the last of the appletarts." This caused Royal to sigh. "But there's nothin' odd with the rivers, so they must be fine." There's another look then behind herself, and seeing nothing to cause alarm, Royal decided to set the gunblade at her back and move nearer.
Reiko Souma
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Reiko Souma »

"The water sprites are shaken but alive," Eregor replied to Royal.

"Appletarts? I believe that I can have Cook and Cook include a few of those along with the honeycakes." A flick of her wrist produced her cell phone, and a quick text was sent off to the Fire Keeper, who soon responded in similar fashion. "You will have the soil needed, Eregor."

"That's good.. I don't want to be kicked out of their realm again and wind up at the bottom of the sea like last time when I checked on them."

"Can you aim water with that?" A teasing question over to Alasdair in regards to the water gem before she was flicking her fingers down over the fresh earth she was passing by. As Max walked, seed sized holes were created in the ground. She looked to be muttering a quiet chant as she worked.

Mayflower watched Max, her green eyes getting bigger and bigger.

"If he can't, I can," Eregor said.

Now holding Mayflower, the woman nodded silently to Rachael. That nod was her unspoken promise, her word, to do her best to care for the kitten. Reiko held the purring kitten to her chest where her heart was as she carried her a safe distance away from where the others would be working. It, her chest where her heart was, was always where Mayflower situated herself whenever she had climbed onto the Albino in years past. "Mayflower...do you remember the song you taught me five years ago?" Reiko asked. Without waiting for an answer, the woman started to sing in Kittish. The song was to the melody of "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." Mayflower sung along with Reiko, also in Kittish, which to the untrained ear sounded like miaows and mews.

"Yeah, so long as I don't open it fully like I usually do!" It was a fair question! Alasdair took the necklace containing the water gem from around his neck, ready to water whatever seeds were planted in the holes.
Reiko Souma
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Reiko Souma »

Her finger flicking and chanting paused, Max peeked back to both Alasdair and Eregor and snickered. And then returned to her chanting and walking and odd finger motions. The gestures looked to become easier and easier with Reiko's song and Mayflower's additions. Meanwhile, the Keeper of Earth's shielded gaze shuttered closed, and she concentrated. The obsidian and emerald Key of her station that rested on her chest began to glow.

"Appletarts and Lemoncakes…" The pixies eyes were wide at the thought of it alone. Lemoncakes are one thing, Appletarts are another. It's very likely that, due to Rachael's gifts, some denizens of Twilight Isle would be left un-pranked for the fortnight, as the pixies will be most likely stuffed and grounded for quite a time.

"You can focus on the big stuff," he said with a grin to Eregor while patting the gem. "I'll handle the small stuff."

The gemstones on Rachael's left gold cuff bracelet also began to glow, the strongest being the pale blue-white, iridescent white and green gemstones, but all were activated.

"Ooh! Ooh! Is it time?" The pixie fluttered some and held up the dream lily seeds they carried.

"Drop them in and let them grow," Max's arms spread wide as she started to shimmer and shine, her words for the pixie helping. "Right about...here! is a good spot." Suggesting.

"Here, here, and here? Here as well…oh, and here!" The pixie said as it fluttered after Max, dropping seeds as it went. The little pixie was trying its best to possibly make a little design, so when the dream lilies came to full bloom they can make a small heart.

If Reiko had to be completely truthful here, and this was something that those who've known her for several years might remember if they were able to or chose to, then she had no idea of what exactly was happening here. Sure, she was aware of seeds being planted. There were words being chanted, spoken, or whatever the correct terminology was. Other than that, she couldn't tell make heads of tails for anything else. The specifics were lost on her, which was why it was best that she be the one to look after Mayflower...among other reasons. She continued to sing the song that Mayflower had taught her to sing in Kittish. It pleased her that she was able to recall any Kittish at all. As a known phrase went, "If you don't use it, then you lose it." Reiko didn't want to lose her knowledge of Kittish at all. She wanted to learn more Kittish.

Alasdair followed after the pixie, using the gem to place water on the seeds that it left. "I think these are gonna look great!"

Nodding to Alasdair, Eregor turned towards the gardens once more, using the water Alasdair released as a beacon of sorts, drawing fresh water up from beneath the surface, below topsoil and rock. The tainted waters that had been afflicted by Bellamere's casting flowed away, replaced by clean, life-giving water.

Mayflower sung along with Reiko, still in Kittish. The song and the planting and the magic around the planting seemed to perk up the spirits of the little yellow tabby kitten immensely.

"I agree, Alasdair," he noted as he opened his eyes and watched the pixie plant dream lilies. Rachael, meanwhile, lent Intent to the efforts, given her particular Element affinity.

"Twilight Berries, plump and sweet. Grow for next year's Gaelikittens to be tough to beat!" Max called out while scattering a handful of seeds that would soon begin to blossom and grow into budding vines for the special fruit. Hearing Max, Mayflower wiggled from her head to her little furry tail in absolute delight.

"I gotta get me one of those towers sometime," Alasdair snickered to himself while watching the Keepers work, and then back to his own task.

"And here…aaand here!" That seemed to be the last one of the pixies seeds. It fluttered up, gave a little spin, then began to fly widely around the garden.

"They're a mix of fun, knowledge, and responsibility, Alasdair...but certainly an honor to hold."

Max would continue to roam about, creating holes for seeds and scattering them into said holes, looking like she was having a fair amount of fun. And if the song Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star continued, she'd likely look like she was shining brightly herself as she worked. And there wouldn't be just one pixie, as more and more began to flutter out from their hiding places among the trees, bushes, and tall grass. One even looked to be trying to eat a cupcake they stole from the dueling zone somewhat away! All together they flew around happily, dipping every now and then to drop a seed of their own to join the many.

With Albino and kitten singing together, Reiko hadn't stopped petting Mayflower for even a second. Reiko's gut? It didn't have such a strong feeling of uneasiness anymore. No, that feeling was dissipating with each passing minute. Oh Mayflower...I can feel your change of countenance, thought the bubblegum pink-haired woman without pausing, I'm so glad. It was as if the clouds were clearing away from the night sky to reveal the moon's current phase.
Reiko Souma
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Reiko Souma »

"I'm rather fond of everyone working together." Max smiled as her steps soon stilled to have her end up alongside Rachael. "If you need any of my aid for growth, let me know." But Max suspected that as Earth Keeper and with the Key in Rachael's hand so to speak, it might not be necessary.

"Any and all assistance in restoring and enhancing the Gardens for all to enjoy, I more than welcome it. It is fortunate that this did not occur a week from the morrow."

"I have to go back on patrol, but.. there's one thing I need to do." Royal uncrossed her arms and began reaching into her pocket. "Mayflower?" Mayflower looked up from Reiko's arms.

"I was thinking we might create a pond, perhaps spring-fed, over there," and Eregor gestured to an open area adjacent to the gardens. "Perhaps some water lilies, or cattail reeds along the shore? Could even keep koi there."

Something looked to be in the woman's hand as she neared Reiko and Mayflower. The former given a smile and a nod, while the latter is where her eyes settled upon finally. "Mayflower. Because of all your hard work, I'd like to make you an official Twilight Warden." She held out the gold badge to her. It depicted a white opal moon set within a golden sun. "If you accept."

"It does sound like the goblins," some of whom were peeking out from sneaking in to quietly assist, "and the pixies," namely the ones who were helping out too, "have been enjoying the fresh gardens and their growth. Aha! That is a lovely idea Eregor." Max was looking over to imagine it already, and then, overhearing Royal with Mayflower, Max gave a wink to Alasdair and Rachael.

Reiko looked down at the kitten. Then she looked towards Rachael. Should I let her..? Unfortunately for the other, the Albino didn't exactly know Royal from a hole in the wall. So, she was careful - but eyed with curiosity. She watched as they were approached; Reiko was soon able to relax her internal guard.

Mayflower's green eyes almost completely filled her face. "Thanking yous! I Gramma Promise to always help keep the gardenys safes!" And her tiny paws reached out for the badge.

He had finished up just in time to see Royal move over toward Reiko and Mayflower. "Aww, a kitten is gonna be a warden. That's so cute!"

"We shall have to keep Mallow out of the pond, as she is most fond of hunting the ones in the koi pond at Katz Tower."

"I know you will. Serve the Isle proud." Royal offered, taking her time to make sure the kitten claimed her badge before drawing her hand away; only to step back and bring that very hand up to her chest in the form of a salute. Mayflower returned the salute with her paw.

Seeing the tabby cat's eyes widen like they did, along with the excitement, brought a smile to the woman's face. "Look at that, Mayflower! All of your hard work has paid off!" Her hold on Mayflower loosened enough for the kitten to move about if she wanted to, not that Reiko was holding her tightly to begin with. "Auntie Reiko is so proud of you, Mayflower."

The salute was serious business, but there's a little crack of a smile there and a wink for Mayflower. Royal then looked to the small group and gave a nod of her head. "I better go check on the capybara, you all have a good night."

"We shall have to affix that badge to your collar, Mayflower."

"Like Mama's bling?" Rachael's lips twitched fiercely with very barely restrained amusement.

"Oui, exactly like that."
Reiko Souma
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Reiko Souma »

As work on the Gardens neared completion, one had to admit to admiring its newly-restored appearance. Admired by each in their own way, the day was also starting to wind down. Royal, needing to return to her patrol, was the first to take leave after seeing Mayflower admire the badge that had been given to her. The pixies frolicked around the garden as Reiko beamed at the yellow tabbycat kitten, feeling very proud of Mayflower for seeing her hard work be recognized as it had. Their earlier singing in Kittish made Reiko realise that she really needed to improve on the language, only to learn that there were multiple dialects of the language. Just when she thought there was only one…no, she had been corrected, and she listened as Eregor spoke to Mayflower in perfect Kittish. Man, was Reiko going to have to start spending some more time at the Earth Tower if she wanted to expand her vernacular; the offer was extended to her by Rachael. Whether they remained at the Earth Tower, or were at their Household, Reiko was welcome to come visit. How much that meant to the Albino! She felt like the Prodigal Son – er, Prodigal Daughter – who was returning home after wandering aimlessly for so long.

"If you do not mind, I have one last thing I can leave these gardens with. Until, of course, you can decide on something more permanent protection wise during your reign as Keeper," Max started to half explain. She gestured to the gardens they had been working on with a hand. "I do think Mayflower in particular will enjoy it."

"I wish any assistance in that matter that you can provide, Max," Rachael replied.

"If done correctly, this will be quite the light show," she said aside to Alasdair before she produced the Astroglobe she so often used when participating in the magic rings. Max began to walk then towards what she had deemed the center of the gardens as her Astroglobe floated over her left hand. After a brief closing of her eyes, she opened then and drew the floating Astroglobe down to the ground. At the completion of the gesture, suddenly a wide expansive ring of stars now fenced the entire gardens, gently floating and bobbing in the air like small golden twinkling lights.

Mayflower let out a squeal of delight and wiggled all over at the star show, and Alasdair's eyes widened as much as the smile on his face did when he saw Max produce the Astroglobe. He always enjoyed watching her and her magic, and this was no different. "Oooh."

But, she wasn't finished. Max then scooped up the Astroglobe and tossed it up into the air. Then she caught it as a sudden dome of constellations and stars now protected the gardens as well. For those who stood inside it, there was a gentle warm and soothing thrum of healing magic and protection. "This will last only so long, but I can return and cast it again," Max promised as she closed up her Astroglobe and returned it to its holder at her hip, "should you wish."

A trace of silver trickled down the left side of the Earth Keeper's face, following the scar. "I wish it, for as long as the Isle itself exists," she murmured.

Now...Reiko's eyes might be spinning slowly. Of course they didn't literally spin as she wondered about the dialects of Kittish, and whether she would have to learn them all. These questions she had would have to wait. Right now, her attention was drawn to a floating sphere. Coming from said sphere were pretty lights! What she beheld before her eyes captivated her, her attention completely transfixed on it.

Alasdair was familiar with the feeling of warmth, but never tired of it. Still smiling, he looked from the dome and back to Max. "You're pretty amazing!"

"Then I will keep it going." Reaching Rachael, Max sought to gently place a hand on the woman's arm and squeeze it reassuringly. "We all have our gifts," she said over to Alasdair. "I am happy to share mine." This brought a smile to Rachael, who had told Reiko of Common and Adult being two of the Kittish dialects spoken at the Household.

Perhaps it was a hint when Max suggested that Alasdair, who had ideas that he could test out right away, get her some sort of battery pack to make her Astroglobe permanent. Reiko, mesmerised by the beautiful sight before her, simply could not peel her eyes away from it. It was like the Celestial, which Mayflower and Reiko hoped to go back to someday. There were no promises to it happening, though Rachael would certainly try.

It warmed Max to see the joy and awe from Rachael, Reiko and Mayflower in different degrees, but clearly all in their own ways. There was, in fact, still a bit of a shine to the woman's dark skin as she said, "Sometimes from darkness comes great joy. For now, I will go reassure that there is nothing further that needs current tending to. And maybe go find something covered in cheese to eat." Snickering at herself then, she gave the others a smile. "I'm glad we can work together on this. Please let us know if you need anything more."

"I will do so, merci. As for cheese, on the morrow I could provide steak nachos with cheese. Both spicy and regular versions." Alasdair? He liked something covered in cheese, though it wasn’t as good as covered in whipped cream. What Rachael had said, sounded good to him and Max.

Reiko looked in Max's direction. "Max, thank you so much for all of this. And the rest of you...thank you so much for doing this for Mayflower. I appreciate it greatly, in my own way." She let a truly warm smile show, gracing itself on her face. Her hands moved away from the kitten for just a moment to clasp her hands together, knowing that moving her hands away from Mayflower would bring no harm to her. "I'm so happy! And, I can tell that Mayflower is really happy as well!"

"This is Rachael and Mayflower's hard work," Max winked to Reiko, but gave the woman an appreciative smile and nod. "Royal and I are caretakers on the Isle. The Keepers here harness the raw power and are doing good with the keys." There was a smile for both Rachael and Eregor, a subtle repeating that she was appreciative that they were doing positive things with their won titles. Soon, Max and Alasdair had taken leave as well.

"I see..." Reiko was taking all of this in. For someone who had once been so against the practise of magic that it had been referred to as sorcery, the woman was far more accepting now. Her late priest could be thanked for the direct influence in this with some of the lessons they'd been through on Terra.
Reiko Souma
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Reiko Souma »

She turned her attention to Rachael and Eregor, her petting of Mayflower having resumed. "Hey, M'Tante...Eregor..? When the time is right-" At this, Reiko glanced subtly down at the kitten to indicate the right time being without young ears present, "-I was wondering, perhaps either of you could tell me more about what had led to the...earlier events?" She tried to word it in a way that Mayflower wouldn't be sad all over again.

"I know little about it, though I understand that what was done, was done to save a life...but at the potential cost of many more." He frowned, that hardness coming back to his eyes and now mirrored in his expression. "So much that was beautifully, gloriously alive, gone."

"I was informed by mon familiars and the Elementals who guard the Tower of the occurrence, and who committed it," Rachael said. Her lips deeply flatlined. "Knowledge given freely was twisted and subverted for selfish gains. The end did not justify the means that were utilised."

"Can you imagine what might have happened if Bellamere had won the Tower of Water? The element of Balance?" Eregor asked.

"I do not wish to think on such matters. I am reminded of past...twisting of the Elements."

So, someone did cause the garden's destruction! From what Reiko has just heard from both Eregor and Rachael, it was no accident. It had been done deliberately. No, it couldn't be. Control yourself, Reiko. You still have your anti-telepathic band off. Imagine what would happen if Mayflower was to pick up on it! The woman was reprimanding herself mentally, taking slow and deep breaths as she listened. She froze. "Bellamere. You mean the man who helped my guardian out a few weeks ago?" Had he done this?

"Oui." That one word held the weight of the ages in her tone. Mayflower, meanwhile, nuzzled Reiko's chin and mrrled happily to herself.

"The same, Reiko." He shook his head, then looked at Rachael. "The denizens of the Tower of Water and the lagoon told me much the same. It could have been worse, but Beroan, the great water dragon that roams the eternal ocean beyond the reef, gave a portion of his own life force to protect the Isle. He lives, but is weary and will have to rest for some time."

"Those who have given much to protect the Isle will never be forgotten by moi."

"Did any of yours sacrifice themselves, Rachael?"

Wait a minute. Reiko needed to stop listening for a moment. After Rachael's answer, Reiko retrieved her anti-telepathic headband. She tied it around her head once more and immediately felt the effects activating. Okay. Now she could resume listening. "I'm really glad that I'm wearing my headband once more. I wouldn't want to take any risks of violating the terms of my community service through my reactions." She nuzzled Mayflower. What would Mayflower do? Not give into emotions is what.

"Oui, Ffermwr and Garddwr both sacrificed themselves to try to shield the Gardens." Her tone resonated with sadness. To honour them, Mayflower vowed to make pretty flowers.
Reiko Souma
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Reiko Souma »

One eyebrow lifted as he spied Reiko's headband. "A telepathic dampener band?" Eregor asked.

"Yes." Her answer to Eregor was easy, concise, with a reminder of what had taken place years ago. It was why she had the headband that had been given to her by Andu, or her Big Brother by heart. She just never thought she would have to resort to wearing it again. It had been some of her darker days in the city that Rachael was right to mention not speaking of that past occurrence. At this, Reiko looked down at the empathic kitten. "You're right. Nothing more need be said about the past...it's right where it belongs and must remain there." She sent a smile to Mayflower.

"Why would you need it?" Eregor's gaze went from Reiko to Rachael and back.

"I will leave the disclosure of the reason to Reiko. I will say that mon duties are involved, if tangentially." Rachael had a number of duties as it was.

Her eyes lifted as she looked to the two who were standing. Why did she need it, indeed. "Currently, my psychic abilities are evolving...and nearly complete, as I no longer feel as ill as I did a few days ago." Here, Reiko gave Eregor an appropriate recap on her difficulty with controlling her evolving telekinesis. It included the Watch showing up and her being sentenced to eight weeks of community service. The use of her abilities to aid her in any way was prohibited, although it was ideal for her to not use them at all for the duration of those eight weeks – save for extreme emergencies, that is.

"I am being kept apprised of your progress, due to professional courtesy."

"Yes...it's only reasonable that you would be. It was in your district that this had happened, was it not?" Reiko asked.

"Non, it was not. I would be more directly involved if it occurred in Old Temple."

"In thinking of happier times, following the completion of my community service, I've decided to start seeking out a new teacher regarding my abilities." What had brought this on? The woman had been thinking. She missed having Toby as her teacher dearly, but knew that it could no longer be. The man had a family of his own, four kids! "M'Tante...Eregor...would either of you be able to recommend a good, patient psychic who might be willing to mentor me? Not only good and patient, but one who won't ever hesitate to be stern and assert stern discipline as needed...one that I hope I'll never need again."

Two came to Eregor's mind right away: Ebon and his older son, Velen, who had duties at the Kabuki Street Community School. As Maggie came through the portal, leading the black Pegasus mare, Reiko thought about who to ask.

Oh...right. Once again, Reiko glanced down at Mayflower. This time, it was to see if the kitten was still awake, for the tabby cat had been seemingly too quiet for the past several minutes now. Looking back up at the other two, again, her eyes grew some with surprise. "Oh? Ebon and his son?" she asked. "If Velen has his responsibilities, then maybe I should ask Ebon...if he's willing to mentor me." Reiko laid back, gently cradling Mayflower as she stared up at the night sky.

"Given that you have abilities beyond telepathy, Ebon would be a good choice. It is not common knowledge, but while he is known as a telepath, his first and greatest skill is with telekinesis." This, Reiko would not divulge to another.

Mayflower stared at her new shiny, feeling very proud of herself, as Maggie let Gaoth Dubh make her way down to the lagoon. She neared before crouching down to see what Mayflower had. She puffed out her tiny yellow and white furred chest with pride as she exclaimed, "I'm an official Twilight Warden!" It earned her a congratulations in response from Maggie, who could feel that something was wrong. She tried not to let it show on her face.

"Oui, Royal made her one, due to her work with the Gardens.

"It really is beautiful here..."

Eregor looked up. "It truly is."
Reiko Souma
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

25 May 20xx: Garden of Ire (final)

Post by Reiko Souma »

Reiko's eyes didn't leave the sky, and good thing! "Hey...I think I see a constellation of a cat. Two cats, actually, a cat and a kitten."

"That's Mallow and May," Eregor told Reiko.

Her dark lens shielded sapphire hued gaze flicked up to the constellations. "Oui, you are correct. It is appropriate, since Mallow was the first Tower Kitten, and Mayflower, she is now a Warden," Rachael added.

Gesturing to Mayflower's sparklie, Maggie let out a giggle. She winked as she looked to Rachael and, maybe, it was an inside joke, "With this bling, I thee wed."

Rachael's lips twitched with barely restrained amusement. "That is precisely how she referred to the item, like that her Mère wears on her collar, as bling." At this, Maggie cracked up.

By way of explanation to those that didn't know, from Maggie, "It was part of Mallow and Johann's wedding vows. They didn't have rings, so, I said bling."

"Can we make that official?" Reiko asked. Maggie's remark was lost on the woman, who was still staring at the constellation. "We can name the constellation Mallow-May, after Mallow and Mayflower. A commemoration of Mayflower's achievement as a Warden...what do you all think?" Her eyes slid shut, but not to sleep. It was to reflect, and to think, as the smile which remained on her face showed.

Mayflower's green eyes got Big with Reiko's words. "I believe that it would be quite an appropriate naming."

"Mallow-May, I like it!" Maggie nodded approvingly.

Maggie's offered explanation of her previous words brought back the memory of the two parent cats being married. It made Reiko chuckle some, and she gave the top of Mayflower's head a good loving rub. "Barring any objection from the one gentleman present among us, I believe we've got ourselves a name for the constellation," the woman proclaimed. If she sounded tired, and she certainly was starting to get there now, then it was because she was tired. Truly tired. She was in good company as well, what with a surprisingly loud yawn that issued from the little yellow tabby kitten. After much energy had been expended in the restoration of the Gardens, it was agreed on to call it a day. Reiko, being too tired to make the drive back to her own house, was granted permission to spend the night at the Earth Tower that night.

It was a night that the woman would remember for a long time yet.
Reiko Souma
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

30 May 20xx: Clay, and Spin

Post by Reiko Souma »

"There are different types of clay that we use for our craft." This was stated with every lesson that was given whenever different types of clay were to be used. Reiko sat in silence, listening. She wore a brown apron, which was secure with a neat bow tied at the back of her waist. It was required for this part of her community service. "For the last few days, I've had you work with earthenware. It may not have seemed like it at first, but it's one of the easiest types of clay to work with. You remember practising with your hands before I would even let you touch the wheel...and then you were introduced to the kiln." To this, the Albino gave a nod. "Today, you'll be working with stoneware clay."

Salison, the overseer who owned one of the vendors that Reiko had destroyed all of the product to, had taken charge of guiding the Albino in replacing all of the broken items. She went on to inform her of stoneware being slightly more difficult to work with, but not impossible. It was doable. There were slightly different steps to be taken, which Reiko would be guided through closely. Each step was demonstrated with a visual from Salison herself, much to the interest of the curious Albino. She watched carefully so that, when it was time for her to give it a try, she would be able to reiterate what she had learnt.

A few minutes later...

"Oh man...it's too dry!" Reiko was trying, and currently failing, to work the clay into a state that was easier to work with. She needed to add more water. Just how much she needed to add was the fun part. It was one part she hadn't counted on struggling with, and she continued to try.

Unfortunately, it didn't go over well. "Too much!" Salison told Reiko. The woman looked down at the pile before her. What was supposed to be malleable, was now a messy pile of mush and a muddy-like swamp of what should have been beautifully workable stoneware clay. "Grab some more clay, only don't add anymore water." Adding clay to a mess would help clean it up by allowing more to absorb the water - without another muddy-like swamp resulting. It was several minutes of trial and error before Reiko finally had enough malleable clay to work with.

Now came the next part, moulding a dish. Given the size of the clay the woman now had, her first plate was going to be her first plates. A set of four little plates was what she ended up making. Moulding, firing, and glazing, they had a...unique shape when Reiko was finished.
Reiko Souma
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

20 Jun 20xx: Calling

Post by Reiko Souma »

To take place during the second half of Reiko's community service. Played in the Wilds on Discord with Joseph Dawson.

Oh, the peace and calm of twilight. The quiet. Almost too quiet, really. No birds flew overhead, no creatures scurried through the undergrowth. All was silent along the dirt road that cut through the woods. A low fog hung in the air, clinging to the ground, and there was a distinct stench of rot and decay lingering between the trees, just faintly. The only sound to be heard was the gentle rushing of the stream that lay to the left of the path, down the hill. The breeze picked up, ever so subtly, carrying whispers that were barely audible. Just faint brushes of song, travelling through the woods.

"He's got the whole world... in his hands..."

"He's got the whole wide world... in his hands..."

Mid-morning, and the Albino was hard at work on the farm. Name all of the plants and crops that were to be planted: vegetables, primarily, from squash to cucumbers and carrots. Today would bring about an expansion to this in the form of fruit. Trees were being added to this now. This has been, and will be, Reiko's site for conmunity service for the next two weeks as her way of contributing to the replacement of the fruits and vegetables that she had damaged during last month's freakish power evolution. Headband in place and secured, a wonder she didn't lose it before being saved from nearly drowning amidst a trio of sharks yesterday. Thank the Fates for someone being there to help her then, but it was decided by her overseer that there would be no more beach visits during the downtime given in the middle of the day.

Speaking of downtime, the Albino was thinking of skipping that today. She felt as if she might be starting to take advantage of that and would rather work like she was supposed to. At least, that was the plan. Her denim overalls and knees were dusty from tending to the growing crops, her gardening gloves on to guard her hands. It seemed like a typical day on the farm, right?

"Reiko!" There was the call of the kind woman from several metres away. Man, did she have the set of lungs that the Albino herself did not. Reiko looked up to see Mia waving her over and stopped, having just finished planting her gazillionth potato as it was. When close enough, "One of the goats has managed to escape and has run off into the woods somewhere yonder. Would you mind retrieving it, please?"

Great. I have to play hide and seek in the woods with a goat that already doesn't like people. Reiko pulled off her gardening gloves. "Yes, ma'am," she responded, jogging off on the path in the direction she was pointed in. She slowed when she reached the woods and started to look around, her eyes peeled for signs of said runaway goat.

That was when she heard the faint sounds of a song, one she recognised from her teenage years. Someone else was in the woods as well. Company? Maybe it was one of the other farmers who had seen the goat run off and was trying to bring it back as well.

"Now where'd you run off to..." As the Albino ventured deeper into the woods, the first thing she noticed was the wind blowing, the trees seeming to sway a little faster in the wind with a chill in the air. Odd. Today's forecast was supposed to call for a calm breeze; this was anything but calm. Of all the days for her to go goat-chasing, it had to be on a day that the meteorologist was more inaccurate in his weather prediction than usual. At least it wasn't raining, though. Whilst that would mean goat hooves to see in the mud, it would also mean having to find something to use as a shelter until it passed, or otherwise going back to borrow an umbrella from Mia.

What Reiko found odd as she continued to venture into the woods for her search was, the singing had stopped abruptly. Then it started again, only it sounded further away from the path now. It was as if she was listening to a moving forest choir, and the choristers were inviting her to find them. She had a goat to find, though, not a choir.

"He's got the whooole world...in his hands..."

"He's got the whole wide world...in his hands..."

The singing seemed to be made up of many voices, each faint and distant, but sounding almost as though they were whispered in Reiko's ears at the same time. The fog thickened around her ankles. "Damnit..!" Reiko hissed as she noticed the fog becoming denser. Good thing she could still see! Dense fog stood little chance to her keen vision, a blessing in times like these. Suddenly, just as the fog became almost too uncomfortable to bear, that goat she was chasing strolled out into the path. Just as she was starting to puff her cheeks, there it was! It seemed to move towards her once it came into her path, and her eyes lit up. "There you are! Now come this way...slowly, now..."

It was clear that Reiko knew nothing about luring goats to return to the farm whatsoever, and that would soon become her undoing. For starters, she was ignoring the vacant look in its eyes, glassed over, and its movements were uncharacteristically calm. The animal paused, looked her dead in the eyes...then ran off, into the woods.

"...hey! Where are you going? Come back!" Her trying to call after it was futile with her voice not loud enough as it was, and she started to run after it. What is with this goat?! It looked so strange...like something-no. I can't think like that right now. Instead, she was letting her experience in running track kick in. Provided nothing could cause her to trip up, Reiko should have no trouble keeping up with the fleeing goat.

Running on the flat, even surface of a track was nothing like trying to run cross-country. It was starting to show with the changing terrains and the uneven surfaces. Yet that goat was simply not giving up on its game of Chase! It was safe to say that Reiko was in for a good bit of exercise today, even more than what she usually got from the last handful of days of tending to the farm. She was still working, technically, following her overseer's orders of trying to bring back that elusive goat. Trying to, what a joke that was...only one party was cooperating, the goat not being the cooperating party.

Return to “Home Between Homes”