Sketches

Wheels of Fate, carousels of time; past lives and karmic ties. Buy the ticket, take the ride.

Moderators: Josette Wheeler, Isaac Wheeler

Isaac Wheeler
Adventurer
Adventurer

Sketches

Post by Isaac Wheeler »

The following is a collection of Isaac's recollections and memories as told through a sketch book snaps-shotting particular moments...

Perceptiveness. The trait could be as rare as hen’s teeth and as valuable as gold from time to time. Isaac had it. It’s what made him good up on the stage…that ability to read people with a glance. His father had said he’d make a helluva lawyer someday, pick the good clients, get the sympathetic juries. Course that’s what law really was and, when he caught himself thinking about, Isaac figured he’d have done alright as a lawyer, but he knew he didn’t have the malleable integrity necessary for such a career.

Isaac had always been perceptive; always the quiet one, the one who’d listen first and speak last. He supposed he’d had the trait all along, born with it maybe, but he first remembered it manifesting itself the summer of the year he turned eight. The same summer he’d gotten Delilah, the Bluetick Coonhound. He remembered it like it was just yesterday, the scene so jarring, so obvious when merged with the greater wisdom of adulthood.

“Come along Isaac,” Isaac’s mother chastised as her eldest son fell a step or two behind.

“Coming Mama.” Isaac answered and gave a little tug on the leash he held in his hand. The Bluetick Coonhound had been a gift from his father, a puppy that Isaac was supposed to train and rear into a proper hunting dog when he was old enough to accompany his father in the fall and winter several years away. His father had said the puppy was his but Isaac had never felt right about that. Delilah was alive, a companion, but never a possession. “Come on Delilah.” Isaac drawled, the first hints of that slow, antebellum accent weaving through his voice.

He gave another tug on the leash and the hound came away from whatever interesting scent had gotten its attention to lope happily alongside Isaac as the pair caught up to the matriarch of the Wheeler family. The Dogwoods were in full bloom and the air was still and lazy with summer heat. The buzzing of cicadas accompanied mother and son as they walked through their neighborhood, the multi acre estates set amidst small forests of pine and oak trees.

It was the first week of summer vacation and Isaac’s thoughts had been full of ice cream, swimming holes and cane pole fishing when his mother had summoned him, told him that they were going over to the Redfield’s house several streets over. His mother had baked a pineapple upside down cake and they were going to deliver it. Isaac’s mother didn’t bake their maid and nanny, Auntie, had baked it but Isaac’s mother, like all Cotillion Queens, kept up the facade of housewife and mother.

“You be a good boy and don’t say anything when we get there.” His mother reminded him for perhaps the ninth or tenth time. “And you keep that dog on its leash.” The accent, like most of his mother’s traits, subdued and polished to a high gloss. “Mr. Redfield is still in the hospital and I don’t want you or that dog making a mess for Mrs. Redfield.”

“Yes Mama.” Isaac answered obediently. She had a name but Isaac’s mother wasn’t a fan of dogs…they dirtied the house up, carried fleas and ticks and generally made a mess of perfectly crafted home. Just once Isaac would have loved to hear his mother call Delilah by her name, but to this day he couldn’t remember anything other than that dog.

Isaac remembered his mother saying something about Mr. Redfield having an attack of the heart and that it was very sudden but such things were proved difficult in penetrating the imaginations of a young boy with summer on the mind. He followed dutifully, lagging behind every so often as Delilah tried to explore such a big world with all kinds of smells in it only to have to hurry to catch up before his mother chastised him again. By eight, he was a pro at figuring out just when his mother was about to chastise, the look on her face, the way her shoulders squeezed together just so. He hurried to catch up as they walked up the wide driveway of the Redfield’s.

The house was big, almost as big as the Wheeler’s and done in a similar style with plantation pillars and a wide wrap around porch. The yard was well manicured and the trees towered high above the roof…the place (like so many homes in the neighborhood) looked as if time had simply passed it by, leaving it as a remnant of a bygone era.

“Look at these flowers.” Isaac heard his mother say. “I’ll have to say something at the homeowner’s meeting next week.” She had that disapproving look on her face…like when he and his younger brother, Derrick, had tracked mud across their hardwood floors after playing in the gulch back behind their house. Isaac sensed that his mother almost seemed pleased as he walked past several rows of dying flowers, the heat taking its toll and wilting them at the stems and making them look like wet pieces of rope.

Isaac gave a tug on the leash as his mother shifted the tin foil wrapped cake to one hand and rang the doorbell at the front door of the Redfield’s house. “You be polite now…my little gentleman.” She said to her son, that subtle shift to her public face was like a chameleon changing its color as she turned Isaac into a prop.

“Yes Mama.” Spoken quietly as he stood up straight and put a smile on his face. Well versed, Isaac was forced into this role every Sunday at church and whenever his parents had guests over. Always the well behaved and silent scion, he was the mute prince of the Wheeler kingdom.

It took several moments before Mrs. Redfield answered the door. There was the sound of barking and paws scratching at the inside of the door before it opened and Mrs. Redfield appeared. “Alexandria.” Isaac’s mother exclaimed, a smile on her face weighted down with just the right amount of gravity. “How are you?”

“Caroline.” Alexandria Redfield answered, an equally weighty smile for Isaac’s mother. He’d heard his mother talk on the rides home from church, heard her gossip about this family and that, what this person was doing and how that person wasn’t a good Christian. Heard it all while his father merely drove in silence, an occasional “uh-huh” just to let her know he was listening. He’d heard her talk about how Alexandria had married for money and how she didn’t belong…whatever that meant.

“We were so sorry to hear about Jeremiah.” Caroline Wheeler said, voice a diabetic concoction of sweetness and pity. “How is he?” She seemed to almost relish the perceived superior position. Her husband wasn’t laid up in a hospital somewhere after all.

Isaac glanced down at Delilah as she strained against the leash, a flash of yellow behind Mrs. Redfield before their Irish Setter, Duke, twisted between the door and Alexandria’s legs to come nose to nose with the Coonhound puppy. They both stood there for a moment, sniffing at each other…trying to figure one another out.

“He is much better.” Alexandria said as she stood straighter, refusing to reveal any sort of family weakness or shortcomings. “The doctors say he is going to be okay.” She looked down to Isaac and the two dogs. “Don’t mind Duke, Isaac…he’s real nice.”

“Oh thank God. I…we’ve all been praying so hard at the church.” Caroline answered, that Stepford smile still pulling at her lips.

“Thank you.” Alexandria said stiffly as Caroline pressed the cake into her hands.

“Just a little gift.” Caroline said. “And I just love your flowers. So very natural looking.” Delilah gave a little growl as she stood nose to nose with Duke.

“Thank you. How’s Jonathan…away on business again?” Alexandria taking the cake to quickly set it inside on a table before crossing her arms over her chest. There was a tone there…something Isaac realized that his mother didn’t like. He saw the bunch of the shoulders. Duke began to growl back as Isaac tugged on the leash to try and ease Delilah back.

“He’s in France actually. The firm is working on some big case with an international conglomerate. Jonathan’s being kept very busy.” The implication that he was also being very well paid obvious in that elitist tone his mother could slip into as fast as a jackrabbit on the run.

“How nice.” Alexandria answered and an uncomfortable silence descended over the porch.

Duke came forward a little, bumped Delilah with his chest. He was bigger than she was and his weight knocked her back on her haunches. Isaac reached down to scratch behind the puppy’s ears.

“S’ok girl…he’s just saying hello.” Isaac tried to calm the Coonhound though he sensed on a level he hadn’t quite learned to access just yet that the animals were picking up on the tension which existed between the two women, that they reflected the unspoken feelings hanging in the air. Dogs could always feel the undercurrents of what people won't say.

Duke growled again as Isaac’s mother crossed her arms and spoke, “Is it true…what’s being said? That Jeremiah was with…”

Delilah gave another growl and came forward to put her paw up on Duke’s shoulder to try and push him back while giving another growl, her puppy teeth coming to nip at Duke’s neck. Duke gave a sudden bark which interrupted Caroline’s veiled accusation of an affair and that’s when the heart attack happened.

Caroline turned to watch as Duke and Delilah suddenly went at one another. The Irish Setter was trying to bite at Delilah’s snout and Isaac cried out, gave a sharp tug on the leash to pull Delilah back who gave a growl while nipping at the Setter’s ear.

Alexandria gave a shout of surprise as Caroline jumped back from the two dogs that were suddenly going at one another with vicious intent. She pulled at Duke’s collar as Isaac pulled at Delilah’s leash to try and separate the two. There was a moment of fierce growls and snarls, snapping teeth and skittering paws before the two dogs were finally separated. Duke was shooed inside as Isaac collected Delilah up in his hands and held her close against his chest. “Shhh…s’ok girl,” He stroked at the back of her head, scratched behind her ears and the puppy seemed to settle almost instantly.

“Well I think it’s time that we left. Do enjoy the cake.” Caroline said as she put her hand on the back of Isaac’s shoulders. “Come along Isaac.” The sweetness was forced, her shoulders were pinched again and her teeth were clinched…Isaac knew he was in trouble. He’d been there plenty of times.

“Thank you for stopping by.” Alexandria said as she shut the door behind her amidst Duke’s scratching and barking, the Setter still ramped up about the presence of the other dog just outside the door. “I’ll make sure to tell Jeremiah you came by. And tell Jonathan I hope his firm wins their big case.” The two women, both proud matriarchs, eyed one another in silence for a long moment.

“Thank you. And he will. Jonathan always gets what he wants.” Caroline Wheeler gave a squeeze to her son’s shoulder as they walked back down the driver. “I told you not to bring that dog, Isaac. It’s nothing but trouble. I’m going to talk to your father when he gets home.”

Isaac fell inward, his mother’s droning sounding less like words and more like the buzz of that wild bee hive he and Derrick had found last summer…got stung to kingdom come trying to get that honey too. Isaac gave a squeeze to Delilah who twisted in his arms to give a lick to his face and suddenly all seemed right in Isaac’s world again.

He didn’t know how short lived that feeling would be.
Isaac Wheeler
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Sketches

Post by Isaac Wheeler »

Once upon a cage...

“Yo Wheeler!” The guard’s booming voice joined the wrapping staccato of the night stick against the bars of the cell. “You got your phone call.”

“Bout time.” The dogwood drawl of words slow and lazy amid the sweltering heat of the prison. He set his copy of The Consolation of Philosophy on the bed as he swung his legs from the lower bunk.

“What did you say?” The guard rattled the cage with the nightstick as Isaac scraped his foot across the floor of the cell and wiped away the little symbol his sister had left in the dust the last time she’d wandered out of the physical to try and come see him. He could see pulses of her light everywhere she had been through the dust motes. She’d been trying for a while now, ever since he refused to see her through the glass wall when she’d come to visit in person. Ain’t no way he was gonna let her see him in here, physically or otherwise.

“Said it’s about time." Been askin for a while now.” Antebellum accent slipping through the bars a beat before he extended his hands through the opening in order to receive the handcuffs. He wasn’t about to share why he needed to make a call--he just needed to speak with Josie.

“Guess its your lucky day then ain’t it?” The guard quipped as he snapped on the cuffs and ordered Isaac to step back from the cell. “Open 42!” Calling out towards where another guard sat in a glass both, the eye at the center of Focault’s panopticon--always watching. There was a loud buzzing sound as the gate rattled opened and the guard gestured for Isaac to step forward. Since Josie's visit, an unusual, eerie calm had settled on the cell block and its inmates as if a weight had been temporarily lifted.

He’d settled into the routine relatively easily and early, suppose he just had that kind way about him that resisted a rattling of the soul. The sentence wasn’t that long--chopped down because it had been his first violent offense. He hadn’t made it difficult on local law enforcement either, had turned himself in the following morning and refused his father’s hand when the phone calls started coming in. Two years, eight months for good behavior.

Isaac shuffled forward alongside the guard who kept a tight grip on his elbow at all times as he led him down the hall of the prison and directed him into a small room with pink painted walls and a phone. “Shirley’s gonna be listening in. You know the rules.”

“Yeah.” Isaac answered while sticking his hands out for the cuffs to be removed. He rubbed his elbows and sat in the uncomfortable plastic chair before picking up the phone and dragging the rotary dial around to dial the first number of a place he, unfortunately, long ago memorized.

Rain pattered upon the window of the hospital room window in a gentle, soothing lullaby as Josette opened her eyes before the first ring filled the room with its trill. The connection already established in such a way that the phone was an added bonus more than a necessity.

The phone rang once, twice--three times. She always waited for the three. There was something magical about the number that she relished. Exhaustion had settled into her bones from the previous evening's journey. Then energy of the place that held her brother had not been kind. On the tail end of the third ring, the phone was lifted with more effort than she would care to admit to herself. The hospital phone was cradled against her cheek, the smile already birthed in her voice for she already knew who it was.

"I knew you would call today."

"Josie? Thank fuck... Are you ok? Your Mother said there was an emergency. She'd never call me in here unless it was serious." Prison rules sneaking into the spoken words from brother to sister.

Josette paused, her brother's use of a particular word more than a little jarring to her. She refashioned the syllables till it more to her liking and softer to her ear. "Emerge-and-see."

"What?” Isaac asked and wiped a hand down over his face before blowing out an exasperated sigh. He glanced at the clock, knew his time wasn’t his own in here anymore.

"You were saying the word differently, I could tell. Why do you sound so angry?"

"Do you have any idea what could have happened if they thought--"

"I needed to see you." Josette interrupted him in a rush before he could go any further. "You haven't answered my messages. I know you felt me there next to you, Isaac. You wouldn't even look at me."

"They couldn't find your heart rate, Josie. Do you understand, me? They thought you were dead for three minutes. Don't do that again." No amount of bars and guards could hinder or remove a big brother’s orders.

"I know where my heart is. I do not need them to find it." A soft reminder. She shut her eyes and focused her attention outward to the music of the rain again, hoping it would cleanse and wash away some of the weariness she felt.

"Dammit. It's all I can do to keep my head right in here. I worry enough about you without you doing this Jos-. I don't want you seeing me in here." Isaac ground out as he switched the phone from one hand to another, pressed his thumb and middle finger against the edges of his brow while staring at the circle of numbers on the phone. It was good to hear her voice. But that weariness--he felt it as much as he heard it.

"I--" There was the faintest tremor in her voice. She truly hadn't meant to cause any kind of alarm. "You won't meet me halfway--won't use our language or your own gift." There was an undercurrent of hurt in her tone. "It's that cage. It's changing who you are. I don't want you to forget."

"Jos--. I need you to promise me. I don't want you anywhere near this place. Never again. Not while I'm still serving my time.” He knew the language she meant—they’d been using it since they were kids. A secret only the two of them knew. Ever since then she’d always leave little signs, little pieces of that secret language lying around whenever she wandered out of her body into the astral to see him.

"Be careful which illusions you choose to serve, Isaac." Josie murmured.

Isaac sighed in a long, slow exhale. His head leaning against his hand as he battled in his head to find the words to try and make her understand that there were many people on this plane that would not understand what she is.

She could not only hear the long sigh at the other end of the line, but feel the chaos of static in his thoughts. Even now she felt him drifting further and further away from her in that exhale.

"Fine." The word fell from her lips, not as the harsh fall of an ax, but as softly as the feather of a bird that just had its wings clipped.

"I'll call you soon, ok?" Isaac finally answered after her clipped response. His sister had a beautiful way about her, but it could also red line his frustration in a heartbeat. He knew she saw the world differently, but always hesitated to make the leap with her. He felt he had to give her a certain amount of grounding to the physical world she lived in.

"Promise?"

“Time’s up Wheeler--lock down.” The guard shouted over the alarm. Something had happened somewhere in the prison and the whole facility was going into lock down.

Josie pulled the phone from her ear at that discordant buzz of activity in the background, voices that were harsh to her ear over the blare of the alarm. "Isaac?"

Isaac's next words barely escaped through teeth that were ground together when he spoke again. "I gotta go." He typically told her he loved her before hanging up, but this wasn’t a place that housed such an emotion.

<click>

The phone was set gently back in its cradle next to her bed. Josette thought it such a funny thing to call it a cradle, a word that carried too much life for something to go when connections die.

((Many thanks to Josette's writer for the excellent collaboration.))
Isaac Wheeler
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Isaac Wheeler »

Morning of September 11th

The wayward scion found the dockside expanse quite easy to navigate as he prowled alongside the water's edge in the predawn light. Not quite light enough to allow safe arrivals or departures and far too early for the previous night’s hangovers to have worn off; the docks were silent save for the quiet lapping of dark water against sleek hulls which creaked and groaned as they rode tidal swells. Absent was the frenetic pace of sailors scurrying round like ants to take on or offload precious cargo, no shouts of teamsters and stevedores, haggling merchants jostling for the best prices and sales. Isaac found the relative solitude a welcome companion as he passed proud prows of numerous vessels, many having unique and lively figureheads ranging from traditional mermaids, skeletons, and warriors to the artfully esoteric…all of them prominently arranged beneath the bowsprit.

But Isaac was looking for one particular ship, eyes lifting in search of blacks sails with a single red silk streaming atop the tallest mast. He found her, The Heathen, not too far down from his present position and angled his languid stroll towards the impressive hull. Isaac was in no hurry to make his delivery today, the gesture bittersweet for it came as a parting gift but was delivered with a genuine understanding and acceptance just the same. Morgan had become a friend to the knife thrower…a rare thing for Wheeler who did not make them easily, but fiercely defended them to the end once those bonds had been forged. He still had the letter Morgan had passed surreptitiously beneath his classroom door at the RCPA; had it folded up and tucked safely away in a pocket. It was when he found it that he had decided on ensuring the aerialist had a parting gifts of his own.

One of the bottles he carried had been hand blown from green glass and undoubtedly been crafted to hold an important pirate treasure—rum. But, sadly, the rum was gone—at least in one of the two bottles he carried. Though never fear, there was a full bottle of good rum as a parting gift he would leave for Morgan as well. Isaac rolled a thick piece of drawing paper and tucked it into the empty bottle before sealing it with a fat cylinder of cork. The knife thrower gave a little shake to the bottle to make sure the paper was not sticking and made quick work of the gangplank leading to the main deck of the brigantine. His destination was the captain’s quarters, the great desk sitting before a window. There was a wry smile for the painting of the Dread Captain himself…a fitting image to be sure…as he set the bottles prominently upon the desk.

Once Morgan removed the paper and unfurled it, he would find a paper a sketch Isaac had done of the aerialist back during Pride Week. Almost all of Wheeler’s work was done in grey scale, but he had used knife sharpened colors for this particular image. It was impossible to sketch a soul like Morgan’s in anything but vibrant color. Though the image was certainly static, the shading and shape of Morgan mid aerialist act, seemed so full of life and energy set upon a blue-sky background. The vibrant colors of the silks, the unguarded, joyous expression of a young man that was born to fly showcasing his talent during an event meant to celebrate love, companionship, and partnership in all its varied and diverse forms. He also captured a few awed faces of those below that watched Morgan like brilliant star in a blaze of glory midflight. It was Morgan in the best way Isaac could capture his friend. A memory—a moment that had stuck in his mind.

He had searched for the right words to truly encapsulate the sketch and ultimately decided on those that brought a small smile to his own face and he hoped, genuinely, that Morgan would make them a reality. Beneath the image he’d scrawled in his own, defined and flowing script a beloved quote from Peter Pan:

"To live would be an awfully big adventure."

And below that, Isaac had penned his own words. The message in the bottle was placed prominently on the desk alongside the rum before he'd slip quickly and quietly from the vessel.

Go out and do some living, Morgan.

We’ll be here for you when you get back.

- Isaac
Isaac Wheeler
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Isaac Wheeler »

“Children are more expert in happiness than adults…the adult who can carry the spirit of a child into middle and old age is a genius.”

~ Dr. Norman Vincent Peale

It had been raining all day and, according to the bottom of the hour news break which crackled forth from a beat up looking bodega boombox, the temperatures were currently dipping below freezing as part of a polar plunge towards zero and lower. Lower than zero? That man born to Savannah summers sighed as he heard the news report and paid for his coffee and cigarettes in cash. Despite the looming winter storm, he still gave the man behind the register a nod and a smile.

He looked so cramped back there…wedged in between racks of cigarettes and lotto tickets, a basket of bananas and papayas to one side, the shelf behind packed to the ceiling with batteries, over the counter painkillers in those little tear away single serving packages and even cheap, imported hookahs haphazardly stacked atop the very top shelf as if a child had stood on the tips of their toes and barely slid the colored glass into place with grazing fingertips. Further on down to the right a skinny man clipped cilantro leaves while standing behind a refrigerated counter containing pizzas, paninis, and pasta salads. Tall shelves of chips and salsa, cookies, detergent, canned goods and candles guarded a freezer in the back; the owners desperate to cram as much as they could in the limited space they had.

“Thank you.” Isaac’s dogwood drawl clearly identified him as a nonnative as his eyes returned to the register. He missed little…even in such a crowded, overflowing space. “You try an stay warm tonight.” Picking up the pack of smokes and Styrofoam cup with gloved hands that saw bare fingers poking out from the second knuckle or so from the dark blue knit. He saw, with little surprise, that his words did nothing to earn a response, the swarthy countenance of the elderly man behind the register hardly moved. Such things had been just one of the many differences he’d found since coming north.

Wheeler pushed through the bodega’s door and had to wait for his moment to inject himself into the fastmoving current of Midtown traffic full of cast down faces and hunched shoulders set beneath a parade of umbrellas. The New York night had a depressed effulgence as low-lying clouds obscured the taller buildings, muted their glow, and ushered in a noir feeling of closeness, proximity, and claustrophobia.

It was beautiful in its bleakness.

Isaac took a testing sip from his cup and grimaced against the bitter assault while waiting beneath the neon glow of the bodega’s colorful sign. The residential building above had various windows lit, the fire escape climbing in its zig zag of rusted and narrow stairs towards the rooftop above. His mind wandered; wondered about those who lived above and what stories their lives told. It took a moment to negotiate the cup and lightly pin it against his chest so he could open the pack of cigarettes. He pulled one free and dropped the pack into a deep pocket of a black threadbare topcoat he’d been lucky enough to find at a secondhand store out in Queens. Little more than a quick flick to strike the lighter and bring a flame to the tip, a strong inhale behind scissored fingers to make the cherry flare.

What was he even still doing here?

The thought ran through is mind once again, the question on endless repeat like the endless flow of disconnected, anonymous humanity that just wanted to get from here to there with the least amount of hassle. Sometimes it hardly felt like living. He had come north to New York City, a southern pilgrim in a foreign land. He knew plenty of folks back home in Savannah that’d never forgive him for living shoulder to shoulder with ‘them damn Yankees’. But Isaac had been looking to put a bit of the past behind him and chase what he thought could be a future. And he didn’t much care for the Savannah sentiments anymore anyway…especially the litany of told you so’s that were mounting up.

He took his chance and hopped off the stoop and through a break in the foot traffic. The rain had turned into a wintery mix of snow and sleet…all of which came in at an angle as the concrete and brick buildings which lined the streets for miles funneled the gusts into frozen knives that stabbed right through Isaac’s meager armor. He deftly weaved between an endless cavalcade of cabs, cars, trucks, and buses…each one angling and fighting for that next inch like wild things fighting for scraps. By this point he was immune to the stentorian serenade of blaring horns and distant sirens. He trotted through the exhaust fumes of an idling city bus and hopped over growing puddles that would be pools of ice in a few hours to join the flow of foot traffic on the other side of the street.

City this large, with this kind of history, lived and evolved like a sentient thing. There was a pulse to it, a vibrancy that struggled to breathe juxtaposed with a nagging sense of unimportance. People lived and worked so closely together, but Isaac wondered why it all felt so disconnected and lost at the same time. The thought was left on a gust of cold wind as he exhaled a drag and then stabbed out what was left of the cigarette and disposed of it before descending through a curtain of steam and into the semi-warm embrace of the 50th Street Station.

The frenetic, relentless pace above ground always faded away as Isaac came down the stairs. It was a transition to purgatory where lines of quiet souls, lost in the torpor of their own thoughts quietly stood and waited for the next train bound uptown or downtown. Sounds echoed here, bounced off the concrete platforms, wound round the support beams to dissipate down the tunnels. Voices murmured like they did in the great cathedrals and Isaac drifted away from the small gatherings at the platform and found a seat on a series of wooden chairs along a tiled wall to rest tired legs and wait for the train.

Down the way a bit the unmistakable sound of an electric guitar strummed to life the beginning chords of a song, the subtle percussion of a single drum and cymbal added to the impromptu song as the singer, and third member of the street band trio inhaled for those first notes. It wasn’t much, Isaac saw when he turned his head in the direction of the music. Just a man sitting on his amp, a well-worn and much-loved homburg hat tipped back on a bandana wrapped head…gnarled fingers plucking away at familiar strings, another on a folding stool, tapping away at his drum and cymbal while backlit by an advertisement while the third of the group sang Unchained Melody with a humble gravitas that Isaac had never heard before. It instantly captivated and held his attention, pulled, and tugged at unexplainable emotions deep within him.

There was soul there in those notes, in the movement of the singer’s hands as he stepped about, in the uncomplicated, quiet marriage of the two musicians carrying the tune behind him beneath the austere and sterile neon lights. Isaac swallowed back against the rising emotions as the man carried his lyrics, felt them build up and reach further. It took an especially talented singer, one connected to the source to be able to project that crooning style into the horrible acoustics of a subway station, over and through the quick, staccato screech of wheels and brakes as a train arrived. And yet he did…with a humbled ease and penitent disposition.

The wayward scion had always had an affinity for and admiration of the street merchants, the park performers…the artists, the hustlers and the buskers…the tireless grinders and indefatigable believers. He watched with thunderstorm-colored eyes as the train disgorged its passengers and many just passed the moment and the musicians by with headphones piping manufactured pop, deafening the outside world and deadening the soul. A few dropped a folded bill or two in the open case on the ground, others a few coins and kept going (and all, no matter the amount, were met with a wide smile of appreciation and gratitude), fewer still stopped to listen as the song reached its crescendo.

As Isaac listened it was as if he could feel that inner spark of wonder, that pure source of youthful exuberance reignite within him…allow him to appreciate the simple moment in the same way a child chased the wind while imaginations ran wild. But there was a pain there as well, a realization of that disconnection, a regret for walling himself off and turning away from that inner innocent joy.

Sudden and inexplicable tears welled in his eyes as he moved to drop the last few bills from his wallet into the case. The lyrics about time and love…it was fitting that the song had its beginnings associated with prison…a prison for the body, as Isaac knew…a prison of the soul…as he felt hearing the familiar song once again.

“Thank you, sir. You’re gonna miss your train.” The singer said with a nod of thanks after finishing his song; a gesture indicating the loudspeaker warning that the doors of the train would be closing in a moment.

“Nah.” Isaac answered with a contemplative look towards the train as it began to power away from the platform. He’d never been more grateful for an opportunity to sit and just be, to breathe and live. “There’ll be another one…this is where I’m supposed to be right now.”

Subway Soul - Unchained Melody

Return to “Midway Manifestations”