Conflicted (original thread)

Phalanx (fā′lăngks′), n. A group of people or things of a similar type forming a compact body or brought together for a common purpose.

Moderators: Edward Batten, Katt Batten

Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Conflicted (original thread)

Post by Katt Batten »

"I am good without a closer look. We need her unconscious so why don't you go ahead and go knock her out." Feel free to step in there Ed cause Chaos was staying over there, thank you very much.

Edward actually didn't need any urging - the voice from beyond that door seemed to strike a nerve, and that was enough to set him in motion. The blades on the gauntlets retracted, and the whine coming from the pulse generators reached a fever pitch as he let reached out and just about ripped the door open, one hand already up and pointing into the cell. It may have been a goddess inhabiting Katt's body, but it was still Katt's body, and Ed had taken a lot of time studying it over the past few days. Without warning, the light from the pulse generator grew to blinding brilliance, the whine upcycling beyond the range of human hearing, right before he let loose a powerful blast of ultrasonic energy designed do impact the inner ear and brain of his target, as well as causing a powerful impact to throw her back against the cell wall.

Katt's head rocked to the door as it was torn away and she grinned all the more. Like someone who knew they were victorious. "You can try all you want, 'brother',-"Whatever else she was going to say was cut short by the impact that threw her back like a rag doll. Her body hit the wall with enough force that she bounced forward and dropped face first to the ground. She groaned as she shifted, attempting to sit up at least. The ground subsided into a laugh, weak but ever so mocking.

"We do want her in one piece, do remember that." Though Chaos did understand the need for force.

Edward never paused for an instant, stepping over to Katt and leaning down to pick her up, hauling her up by the front of her shirt almost violently, bringing her up face to face with his helmet as he spoke. "You get a good look, bitch. Make sure you're paying attention, because this? This is the last thing you're going to see through my sister's eyes." He gave it a three-count before he threw the female back into the cell, hard, the other hand coming up now as he reconfigured the pulse generator at the speed of thought. With a high-pitched whine it powered up again, and this time what blasted out from the gauntlet was a powerful blast of electrical energy, as strong as a lightning bolt, designed to incapacitate rather than to kill.

As Katt was collected she laugh louder and if it had been longer then the count of three he might of found his helm being licked because her tongue came curling out to do just that. But she never got the chance as sad as it was and once thrown she twisted in the air like a cat to land on her feet. She barely touched down before she was hit by the crippling blast. From her feet to her knees she went until finally she was spilled on the floor of the cell. Twitch.

"I suppose that is one way to get things done." Chaos mumbled and looked around the vault.. It was slightly disappointing really. He was hoping for a good show but it seems Silma was still too weak and Ed was packing some rather handy toys

He kept the pulse generators directed at Katt's twitching form, taking a second to scan Katt's vitals before he spoke to Chaos. "If you can keep her unconscious, you'd better get started." His next words were for the AI. "DIANA, contact Clayton - I believe he is at Katt's penthouse. Tell him to get his ass over here. Just tell him it's for Katt - that oughta get him in gear."

"If I can keep her unconscious. I do believe you've knocked her out for a few Sundays." Chaos chuckled and made his way into the cell, stopping when he had seen how she looked. "It is as if the Reevi has grown inside her skin instead of over it. How peculiar." He took the time to roll the body over. She was still in one piece it seemed but out cold. "Do you need anything to prepare for this or we can do this here on the floor?"

Edward shook his head as the armor retracted and reformed into the trenchcoat again, taking a moment to crack his neck. "The floor is fine, but we need to keep her in the cell. Once this Silma is disrupted and severed, that's how we're going to contain her." He paused, as though a thought had occurred to him. "Do they need to be in physical contact for this to work?"

"They who precisely? Her and this Clayton fella?" Chaos tilted Katt's head just a bit and pressed his fingers across her brow.

Edward nodded as he went to the device he had set on the floor and moved towards the cell. Turning it, he pressed one of the flat ends against the cell wall, and there was a faint *click* sound as it locked into place. "Yeah. Do they need to be touching, or laying next to each other, or anything like that?"

"Physical contact would be ideal. He also will need to be unconscious so laying down next to each other might not be such a bad idea." Chaos was concentrating and ended up sighing. "Crap. Several of the locks had been removed as well."

Edward's analysis had been right on the money - all Clayton had need to hear was Katt's name and that she needed his help, and he was out the door and on his way towards the Tower, following the directions given him by DIANA. Despite the fair amount of distance between the penthouse and the nearly-complete Tower, he covered it in mere moments, on a dead sprint the entire way. Once the lift carried him down he stepped immediately out of it and headed down the hallway, speaking as he entered the vault and spied Katt, moving towards her and kneeling next to her opposite the strange man he did not know. "What happened to her?" The rumbling voice was laced with worry.

Ed, in the meantime, was at work on the pulse generator he had attached to the cell wall, where a multi-touch panel had lit up next to it that he was working on. "Ah'll let Chaos dere explain." He was pretty sure if he did, there would only be trouble, and that was something they didn't have time for.

"You haven't explained to him what has happened thusfar?" Chaos looked to Ed then to Clayton. "Listen carefully, Lad. Her soul is weak and is in need of strength of guidance. Not only that but is in need of separating a parasite," Yes he basically summed up Silma as a parasite, "From her very being. It is a lot to require of someone in your standings with the young lady but you need bind your soul to hers for a period in order to help her. A soul convergence to separate her and this parasite before we lose her completely." He did give room for Clayton to assess Katt.

The green-gold gaze moved from Katt to Edward, a glare settling upon Clayton's features. "I am afraid I have been told nothing at all, save by Kathryn herself, and that was only that she was leaving for a while." He wanted to hit Edward at the moment for not telling him anything, but that would have to wait. To Chaos he nodded, moving to look over Katt himself, who looked like she had been put through the wringer. "I will do whatever is needed to help her, sir. As it happens, my people have a way of doing precisely what you ask...though I confess, I have only heard rumors of it being tried with one who is not of our race, and have never attempted it myself."

"Before you go getting all hateful on Ed I will speak up and say it isn't his fault. I actually advised about getting you involved in this but as it stands you are needed if this is to work." Looking to Clayton he nodded. "You will not need me to act as a connection then? To explain there is another soul that lives within her. One that has been attempting to push its way out and claim over the vessel." He gestured to Katt's body. "But I do not have time to explain fully. Time is short."

Edward focused on his work, feeling Clayton's eyes on him but ignoring it for the moment. Now wasn't the time, though he had suspected that the man would feel this way when he found out. That could be dealt with later.

Clayton made no reply to that, just focused on Katt for the moment. "I understand. I have heard that for my people, such a connection between souls requires that a strong connection already exist; I believe that what Kathryn and I have between us is more than enough. And the soul of a Y?mni is...somewhat unique...I have no fear of this other soul." HE moved to lay next to Katt, stretching out and taking her hand in his, intertwining their fingers. "It will being in a moment. You may wake me by breaking the connection when you are ready." He lifted the hand holding Katt's to indicate what he was talking about before he laid his head back and closed his eyes.

"Understood." Chaos took that Clayton knew of the dangers and accepted it. Without needing to explain things he settled his hand against Katt's brow and looked over to Clayton. "Very well then. When you are ready." He looked over to Ed to make sure he was also prepared. "I will give word when they are separated."
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

It didn't take long, as Clayton said. There was nothing dramatic, no fireworks or spectacular flashes of light - in fact, to the outside observer with no sense of souls joining or separating, it looked as though nothing was happening at all. Where their hands joined, Clayton's unique physiology reached out and connected to Katt's, joining them together not only at the physical level, but at the mental, physical, and molecular level as well, allowing the Y?mni to stretch his soul across two bodies.

This was how it was done among his people, although in this case, the connection was more one-way - with another Y?mni, the souls intermingled rather than simply bonded. Once his soul had connected to Katt's body, he drew Katt's to him, forming the connection that was needed, using that connection to strengthen her by showing her his memories of them together: nighttime walks, long talks, late nights and early mornings spent curled close in bed, and more...intimate moments. Along with those memories, there came feelings, those that had been his, emotions that fed through to Katt's soul of warmth, of love...happiness and strength and a determination never to let this slip away.

Silma didn't appreciate the incoming male soul trying to take what she was trying to get rid of. Being drawn in with Katt she got a lovely display of the connection the two shared and she was sickened by it. However through the link she also felt a draw from Katt's soul. A shattered and broken spirit that was clinging to the feelings that were shared. There were one too many souls in that body of his and with that Silma's soul severed the link from Katt's own? Why? The attempt to steal the body while Katt was..elsewhere.

Chaos was monitoring the bond without prying into what was going on. When he felt the seperation of Silma and Katt as well as the growth of the two. Both for different reasons. "Lord Batten! If you have things prepared now would be the time to work your magic! They are separated!"

Edward had been waiting on that, monitoring things as best he could, though he couldn't read such subtleties as souls separating and such, but he could see the varying energy levels and types, which he had been recording during the process of this whole...exercise. He would have to look it all over later - it was truly fascinating stuff. For now, though, there was work to be done. "All right, when I say 'go', get them out of that cell. This pulse will only disrupt her for a few moments, and we need to make sure that energy is contained so it doesn't try to get back into her, or go elsewhere."

Edward's fingers moved over the multi-touch panel on the side of the cell, and with a final tap the command was executed. The effects of this were rather dramatic: there was an upcycling harmonic whine as lines of brilliant glowing blue appeared all over the cell's surface like the lines of a circuit board, flashing brilliantly once, the glow lighting up the inside of the cell with superbright incandescent light. They faded immediately, though there was a definite glowing vaprous substance that remained in the cell, vibrating rapidly in place as though it were trying to pull itself back together. "Dat's it, now! Get 'em outta dere an' shut de door!"

"What about you?" This was clearly an important question because hell if he was going to be recieving end of Katt's fist if something happened to Ed. Willing the shadows to aid, a pair of shadow minions to assist with carrying the pair out. Chaos reached out to make sure the link of their hands remained but at the same time he kept looking back to Ed. Once out of the cell the two bodies were placed down on the ground near the lift and Chaos immediately turned to make sure that Ed was following. He did look away for a second when one of the minions mummered something to him. With a hand he dismissed the minions to discuss later whatever it had been.

Edward was quick to follow, by way of response, tapping in a series of commands to keep the field in place just a little bit longer. As soon as the pair were out, he dove for the entrance to the cell, sliding out past the door. A swift kick to the door threw it shut, just as the blue lines faded from the cell's surface, and there was a loud *CLICK* as the cell locked and sealed. A grim smile of satisfaction appeared on his features as he pushed himself up to his feet and brushed himself off. "Toldja dat was comin..." he murmured towards the cell before he turned to regard Clayton and Katt,still unconscious. "How're dey doin'?"

Once Chaos knew Ed was safe he thumbed to the cell. "So you are going to keep the soul of Silma in there? And here I was hoping to bring her with me back to the Tween." He smirked and looked down to the pair. "I guess it is time to sever the link and find out for ourselves. He should wake up first or that is what I figure." After all Ed made sure that Katt's body went under. Reaching out he pulled Katt's hand free of Clayton's slow but surely.

Edward looked back at the cell, frowning slightly. He'd like to keep her locked in that black box for the rest of eternity, honestly - no body, no place to go, just existing as a great big nothing. But then, maybe Chaos could think of a better fate than that. "Hell, if ya want it, ya can have it. All she's gonna do here is rot in dat box...Ah bet ya got somet'in' better in mind for 'er." He stood back and watched, fairly certain he didn't want to be near Clayton when he woke up, if the looks he was getting earlier were any indication.

As the hand was separated from Katt's, there could be seen - fleetingly - what looked like a sticky, golden sort of fluid that bound the hands together. A moment later, though, the fluid had vanished, drawn back into Clayton's body, and as their hands came apart the Y?mni stirred and sat up almost instantly, turning immediately towards Katt, his features focused upon her face as he kneeled over her. "Did you get it out of her?" His words were for them, though he didn't look around.

"Relax lad. From what I can tell Lord Batten has seperated the Goddess from Katt successfully. I don't suspect I'll be needing to lock her memories of days past now." With Clayton up Chaos stood and looked to Ed. "I will take her off your hands. I have servitude in mind for her." He gestured for Ed to come take his place at Katt's opposite side.

Clayton looked at the man questioningly for a moment, his head tilting slightly for a moment as he did. "You...can do that? Take memories from her, I mean?"

"I can't take them but I can lock them away. I've done so in the past with some rather unsavory memories." And best Clayton don't ask what those memories were. "It doesn't effect who she is like losing a memory would." The Lord of Shadows bowed his head to Clayton and Edward. "You both did very well. I see why she places so much faith in you both."

Oh, that had his interest, indeed. "If that is the case, good sir, then there are memories I would have you lock away...of two people in her past. A Toby Aradam and a Mayu Tsuzuki..." Clayton's eyes went from the stranger to Katt again. "...they...were very unkind to her, and did much hurt to her, that clings still to this day...she would be better off if she could not remember that they had been part of her life."

Chaos stalled at hearing those names. "I am aware of those two. Are you sure that is what you want?" He looked over to Ed then Clayton. Yes he was expecting Ed to pipe up at any moment.

Edward frowned, just slightly, as Clayton brought that up, even as he was moving towards Katt's side, though he was hesitant to do so. He was just waiting for Clayton to come at him, though he wasn't sure if he would stop the man or not. "He nodded to Chaos' question for Clayton, arching an eyebrow at the man. "Are ya sure dat's such a good idea? Ah'd t'ink dat you, of all people, would appreciate dat our mem'ries make us who we are..."

As Chaos said prior to Edward's statement to Clayton, the memories wouldn't change who she was. This, however, was a conversation and decision for those two to make regardless so Chaos waited for their joint decision.

Clayton barely managed to restrain the growl that came to his throat as he looked at Ed, but he did manage it. He was still pissed that Ed had kept this from him, at another's behest or no, it didn't matter. "I am indeed certain. As he said, it won't change who she is, and I have seen for myself the effect those memories had upon her. She will be better without them, I assure you."

Edward frowned deeper, moving to stand at Katt's side, and finally he sighed. He didn't like the thought of it, but he had to admit the big man had a point...and besides, he owed the big cat one, at least. He nodded to Chaos, silently, affirming his agreement.

Chaos nodded and moved to kneel down at Katt's head. "For the record, Edward, she will remember these past few days." It was a warning mind you of what may come. "Also to you both. When she wakes she will be very weak." His hands went out to her temples with fingers stretched to her forehead. Unfortinately due to the fact his fingers pressed against her flesh her body jerked in reaction. At least this gave him the chance to replace some much needed boundries and wards.

Edward almost asked Chaos to remove those memories as well, but he refrained. Katt would need to know what happened - he refused to hide it from her - and without those memories, none of it would make sense. Instead he just nodded, looking rather weary, as he turned his gaze to Clayton. "You should take 'er, mon frere...after de pas' few days an' what's been goin' on, Ah don' 'magine she'll be very happy wit' me, and Ah t'ink ya should be de one she wakes up to. Ah'll...make sure she she has access to de secur'ty recordin' and info dat'll explain ever't'in' to de bot' of ya."

"Lord Batten. I know it isn't my place to say this but I think you should be here. Running away might give her the wrong idea." Not that Chaos was calling him a coward. Once he was done he pushed up to his feet and looked to Edward rather seriously. "That is my thoughts on that." Looking to Clayton he nodded. "I am done and I will admit it seems I was wrong in not getting you involved. You were quite helpful."

Katt murmured and shifted. There was voices that was making her already pounding head pound louder. "(vs) Nrmphhh..owwwww. So loud.."

Clayton sighed, grudgingly nodding to Chaos. "He is right, Edward. She may not be happy with you, at least until after this has all been explained, though I do think I should take her home so she can rest." As Katt stirred, he smirked at the Playboy before looking down at Katt. "Besides...you are too late. She is already stirring."

"If anyone she is going to be mad at it will be me so I think I'll be taking my leave. I'll be back in a few days for the remains." Meaning Silma's soul of course. Chaos looked to Clayton and shook his head. "There shouldn't be much explaining to be made. She knows. At least this is what I have sensed." Reaching out he cupped a hand on Ed's shoulder. And like that he took his leave, stepping through Ed's very shadow in a quick retreat from this plane of existence.

Edward frowned, but Clayton was right - it was too late. As Chaos took his leave he blinked, but felt relieved - he had thought that Katt would think Ed had turned on her, tossing her into a cell to be tortured beyond endurance. He still wasn't convinced that wouldn't be the case, but he would stay for now, at any rate.

Oh Katt heard him and a growl echoed in her chest. As ..weak as it was. When an eye opened she winced and quickly closed it. Several blinks later she found Clayton and Ed there..but not Chaos. Had she been hearing things? Raising a hand she rubbed her eyes. The light hurt and her body felt like hell..her head hurt and yet..there was lingering feelings. Comfort..warmth..and some rather strong emotions that made her chest ache. "(vs) Am I ..better?"

Clayton eyed the stranger with a neutral look, but nodded to him anyway. "Don't sweat it." His gaze turned to Ed, deliberately, an accusatory look in his eyes, though he still spoke to Chaos. "After all you didn't know." His gaze turned back to Katt as he smiled, lifting his hand to trace his fingers along her sheek as his voice dropped to a whisper. (vsw)"You are indeed, my love...though you may need to rest for a few days."

Edward watched them in silence, though he couldn't help but smile at Katt as she awoke, kneeling slightly next to her, though he said nothing yet. He wasn't sure he could trust himself to speak just yet.

It was going to take her a while for her eyes not to sting. Katt's hand tilted to press Clayton's hand against her cheek but that lasted a few seconds. Her hands went to the floor and she stubbornly attempted to push herself to sit up. Her head shook slightly. Rest..She hated bed rest. Looking to Clayton she smiled meekly. "I guess so." Her stomach decided now was the time to announce that she also had been going a near week without food by growling..loud. Blinking she pressed her hand against her tomach. Yeah..she wasn't that embarassed. Slowly she looked to Ed. "I'm sorry.." That was the first thing she said to him and she couldn't help but kick herself that it was.

Edward managed a chuckle as he shook his head at her. "Ya ain't got not'in' t'apol'gize for, li'l sis. Hell, Ah oughta be apol'gizin' t'de bot' of ya." He motioned between Clayton and Katt. "Fer not payin' closer attention...maybe we coulda caught onto dis a li'l earlier, found an easier way t'get ya better." And then he looked at Clayton. "An' t'you, fer not lettin' ya know what was goin' on...yer right, Ah did know better."

"I'm glad..you didn't." Katt looked between the two of them before her eyes returned to Ed and she reached out to touch his cheek, her brows lowered. "I heard you. I heard the pain in your voice even though you tried to comfort me...." She tried to tug Ed on over for a hug but ..well..yeah there wasn't much strength there. "I have everything to be sorry for. Neither of you should of...You shouldn't of even been placed in that situation."

Edward smiled as he returned the hug, making sure to be gentle as he did and looking visibly relieved. "Maybe we shouldn't've, but dat's what we do fer de ones wel love, sis...ya've taken care o'me plenty o'times, y'know Ah'm gonna do de same whene'er Ah can. 'Sides...ain't know way Ah'm gonna lose you. How many li'l sisters d'ya t'ink Ah have?"

Clayton let her go to hug her brother, regarding Ed for a long moment in silence. He still wasn't happy about this, but then, he had a feeling this wouldn't happen again. "Accepted, Edward. Just don't make the same mistake twice." A smile came to his lips as he watched brother and sister embrace, and he nodded agreement with Edward, though guilt stole over him. He was willing to just...let her go. It was her brother who had not been satisfied to do so.

Good because she would be like jelly if he squeezed too hard. Ed's cheek got a soft raspberry before Katt pulled back and gave him a very ..odd look. "I've..taken care of you?" Yeah..no..she couldn't think of a single time really. She kept the hug for just a little longer before slipping free and trying to get the big cat in manflesh. "Oh don't sulk you are gunna get a hug too. Come here."

Edward chuckled as he nodded. "Yer de one dat keeps on naggin' me t'get 'way from work an' t'r'member dat Ah'm still a human bein'. Dat counts fer a lot."

Clayton smiled and went to her, wrapping her in a warm but gentle embrace. "I am not sulking, my dear Kathryn...I am just glad to see you are all right." He let out a purring chuckle, remembering the growling of her stomach from earlier. "Though perhaps we should get you out of this vault and away from...that." His eyes moved to the black box that had been serving as Katt's cell for the past week. "You could probably use some food, I think, from what I heard earlier."

"Yeahhh not like you listened." Katt shot back over at her brother though it was nice to hear her words weighed some with him. Resting in Clayton's embrace she sulked her face down until it was only her eyes that was peering over his arm to the cell. She really didn't remember much of her time in it. She remembered the pain..the darkness. The darkness helped but more so it was the words of her brother. Despite her screams he had been there..trying to comfort her. She felt..guilty. "I am starving." And even if she hadn't said it? Her growling stomach again would of made it pretty obvious. Her face buried to hide against Clayton's shoulder. "Thank you..Both of you. I don't know what I would do without you."

Edward smiled and stood, turning to regard the cell, still dark, inside which was stoed the soul they had ripped out of Katt. He was glad it was over, but a part of him was tempted to send that thing soaring into the sun. "Ya should t'ank dat Chaos guy, s'well...if it ha'n't been fer him, Ah don' know dat we'd be havin' dis conversation." He looked back at Katt and Clayton with a smile, a thoughtful look on his face. 'Y'know...dere's a lotta people been askin' 'bout you...if ya t'ink yer up to it, Ah could hook ya up wit' a meal dere so ya can eat an' show ever'one yer back 'mong de land o'de livin'."

While it was likely that it would be pushing herself she nodded to her brother. His comment about Chaos had a very stranger frown etched across her lips. Katt was pretty sure there was some alternate reason Chaos had helped..She just didn't know what. "You are..leaving then? To go get some rest.." That was her hope. Her eyes closed, the light still stinging but it was at least getting better. "Y-Yeah that is..That is fine."

Edward tried to think. When was the last time he had actually slept? He couldn't honestly remember, really. He gave Katt a nod with a tired smile. "Ah t'ink so...give you two kids some time t'yerself fer a bit." He pointed at Katt. "Ya need t'get better soon, t'ough. Ah still got presents fer ya dat're waitin'."

"I will get better if you promise to get some sleep. I'm serious Edward.." Yes she used the word Promise and seemingly without thinking a second of it. It really was weird to hear him say he had something for her. Presents. Made her quite curious. Well she knew the asprin.

Clayton simply listened to them as he held Katt in close, glad to finally have her back to normal. The past couple weeks had been...awkward, to say the least, and he had worried that she was pulling away from him. He had been worried he might lose her...now it felt like it had before...whatever it was had gotten into her and started screwing things up. He did look to Katt for a moment, though, arching an eyebrow as a smile touched his features. He knew that she had been hesitant to use the word 'promise' before, and knew just as well the reasons why - perhaps she was not a different person now, but there were subtle changes he could see.

Edward chuckled and nodded, not seeming to notice that subtle change, at least. "Al right, den, Ah promise, Ah'll get some rest. Ya know, provided somet'in' else doesn' go t'hell along de way."He started towards the end of the hall with the lift, talking over his shoulder. "Ah'll make sure Rene has de food dere waitin' fer ya when ya arrive. Take care o'her, Clayton, an' make sure she gets home safe so she gets some rest too."

"Sleep sweet, Edward. We will talk soon." Katt watched after her brother, somewhat worried. The mention of food had her stomach growling like mad. "I guess..we are going to the inn then?" Her eyes tilted up to Clayton since that is where she figured her brother meant before. Raising her hand she drew her knuckles softly against Clayton's chin. "I'm sorry for hurting you.."

Clayton smiled as he raised his hand to catch hers, holding it against his cheek, turning to press his lips against her fingers tenderly. "I have said it before, my love, and I will say it again...you can't hurt me. And you have not...what hurt me was...something you had no real control over." He moved to stand and help her to her feet. "Are you sure you wish to do this? We could have the food sent to the penthouse, you know...you could get some rest..."

Ahh he was tempting her and she was so very tempted. Just to go home..have him all to herself for the remainder of the night. But apparently she had other people worried about her. Rising to her feet with his help she shook her head. "I'll be okay for a little bit." Even if she was on her feet like a new born doe. "Just don't go too far without me? I don't think I can handle too much on my own." There..she admitted it. When her green eyes found him there was a bit of sadness in them. "I ..didn't think you would be waiting. I had heard you when you left that day. You sounded so..so.." The sound had broke her heart.

Clayton shook his head, smiling as he wrapped his arm around her waist and started down he hallway towards the lift to the surface. "Of course not, my dear Kathryn...I'll be here for you every step of the way, I promise." His green-gold gaze lingered on her a long moment as they walked the hallway, the vault door sliding soundlessly closed behind them. "I promised you, my love, that I would wait for you, for as long as it took...forever, if it came to that. I would not make a promise so lightly...even if it were you that hurt me so, and not...that thing inside you." He stepped into the lift with her and it started up automatically. "You may wish to remain close to me, by the way...it is quite cold out."

She glanced over her shoulder as the doors closed and once they did..she felt like some great weight was lifted. She ..wasn't sure why. Turning her eyes up to him she listened as they walked to the platform. She had no problem in sticking close by the looks of it because she was snuggled in close. If anything his warmth and the fact he was all but holding her up. Her back seriously hurt! "Thank you ..for waiting." Her chin tilted and she looked up. "Yeah I don't have a jacket or anything. So you will just have to keep me warm." Poor him.

Clayton chuckled as they ascended into the booth and the cold air washed over them, holding her in close against him. "That, my love, I can definitely do." His gaze dropped down to regard her, and on impulse, he picked her up in his arms, scooping her off her feet and cradling her to his chest. Leaning in, he tenderly touched his lips to hers, lingering there for a long moment before he drew away again. "I will always wait for you, my darling Kathryn." And with that he set off at a run in the direction of the Inn.
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

.: A month later.. :.

It was a month later and she was still recovering. The month of December, normally a dreary and depressing month was filled with a laughter and good times. Her birthday, funny enough, landed on the Winterfest Ball so she got to dress up all nice and pretty without anyone really know the reason otherwise.

Well...a few knew..and remembered...

Really it kind of surprised her that people did remember...

It went by pleasantly enough with the night ending with her in Clayton's arms, asleep in a rather peaceful state.

Christmas came and went. Most of the day spent with Clayton with the Evening spent with her brother. Of course she returned to sleep next to her Great Cat but it was still nice to have a brother-sister dinner. She had placed a lot of effort and love into preparing the feast even if it was meant only for two.

The day after Christmas she spent delivering the gifts she had bought for people prior to Christmas because quite frankly she was damn set on spending it with Clayton and Edward. If anything or anyone had got in the way of that...well...it wouldn't of been pretty.

Thankfully nothing did.

She found herself leaving the inn damn near exhausted. Still...after a month she felt sluggish and slow. Her memory had bits and pieces that were slowly returning to being a whole. Whatever damage had been done was being repaired. It was just...a slow process. Or maybe it was just all the excitement of the holidays?

She still had two presents in her bag that needed to be delivered but she wasn't sure if she should even attempt. They would probably just toss it at her and make those sour faces that always seemed to be made at her. Still wasn't it in the spirit of the season to try?

For now the boxes were left in her seemingly endless bag. If she bumped into them...maybe..just maybe..

She still had to go back to the penthouse and get more gifts to deliver! Or maybe a big cat to snuggle up to.

Despite everything that had happened in the year...

...This December she found herself to be pretty darn happy!
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

.: Chapter Fifteen: Silks of Fire :.
Jan 9th
Early Morning on the Great Wall of Silverymoon; Unity

"It has been years since I've seen you sitting up here."

The warm voice drew her out of her thoughts and she uncurled from her spot. She had forgotten how long she had been up there on the miles high wall, watching the vast of water that spilled off the 'edge of the world'. The great city of Silverymoon was a monstrously huge city that sat in the middle of an even larger river and maybe a few miles from the 'end of the world' water's edge of the largest waterfall she had ever witness.

Truly Silverymoon was a sight.

Turning she spotted the older woman who she hadn't seen in three years. She didn't seemed to of aged a bit. "Good morning, Mia." She smiled lightly to the woman but it faded when she saw the armored figure next to the small woman step forward.

"Aren.."

She had almost missed Mia gasping. "She smiles!" she spoke to Aren.

Aren's full eyes watched Katt but for the moment he said nothing.

Their eyes met and she felt a pit in her stomach. "Are you here to arrest me?"

Mia looked between her King and Katt before stepping back. "I do not think I've ever seen you smile in such a way, Bug-a-boo. You must be very happy."

She twitched a bit at the nickname but the fact that Aren was moving towards her she felt to on edge to respond to Mia. "I just came to pick up some firesilk. A seamstress is making a dress for me. I know I am not suppose t-"

"You are exiled from this Kingdom!" Aren's voice boomed out as he got closer.

She cringed. He had his father's commanding voice and temper it seemed.

"I couldn't be happier to see you." Aren's near eight foot body lunged at Katt and scooped her up into a hug.

Blinking in surprise she grunted. Okay so maybe his mother's temper. "Aren you are squishing me!" But she hugged him back.

"I've missed you." He muttered at her but released her all the same.

"Wow you've grown huge!" She assessed him as she stepped back to look him over. She could see Mia giggling from around him. "I am very happy, Mia. I have a wonderful family and a great boyfriend. Awesome friends.." Aren was again staring at her and she shifted uncomfortably. "What?"

"So that boy decided to start treating you right, has he?" he didn't look thrilled.

She blinked at Aren. "Huh? There is nothing about Clayton that is boyish." Oh that sounded wrong did it?

"That isn't who I am asking about but that does answer the question. Good you got away from him and found yourself someone better. So tell me about this Clayton fella." Aren's hand gestured as he turned to get Katt to walk. She shouldn't be on the streets alone being an Exile.

Katt look utterly confused and looked between him and Mia. "Sergei wasn't that bad..." She smiled and started to walk, giving Aren and Mia plenty of details about Clayton.

Once they made the main street Mia pardoned herself to do some work.

Aren chuckled at Katt as he escorted her to the seamstress' shop. "It sounds like you really love this man. I am glad for you, Kathryn."

"Thanks. I am kinda nervous though." And she must of sounded so foolish to Constance when she told her about the reason.

"Oh?"

"It is our one year anniversary, Aren. I've never had one of those before with a guy. I mean this is suppose to be a good thing...right?" She bit her bottom lip and glanced to the shop door as they came to it.

"If he loves you as much as you love him it is a very good thing."

Aren's words reminded her of that brief time she and Clayton were 'linked'. Whatever he had done she had felt exactly how much he cared for her. Just remembering made her heart flutter painfully in her chest. "He does." She murmured quietly as she waved to the seamstress to get her attention. Watching the seamstress bow shyly to Aren then hurried off to get everything ready. Looking to Aren. "I am sorry about your father.."

Aren bowed his head to the seamstress and looked to Katt with a sorrowful smile. "It is hard to fill his shoes I must admit."

After the purchase was made she hugged Aren and quickly escaped the city limits before someone else saw her. Even though Aren wasn't so quick to let her go she had to be back by nightfall.

By the time she did get back to Rhydin it was just before the sun fell into its slumber, the sky a wealth of colors that danced across the snow. There was much more snow there than in Silverymoon.

She didn't have time to marvel in the snow! She had something to get ready for.

Sneaking into the apartment she first made sure Clayton was gone before hurrying to prepare things.

Furniture was moved around so that there was more room in the livingroom. What else could she do so what she planned didn't seem so ..silly?

Was she being silly in thinking that one year was something to celebrate? Was it silly that she was nervous that it had been one year? She told him she wouldn't worry about him just up and leaving on her but she couldn't help but be nervous that she was going overboard in being nervous on such a thing as one year being together.

Well there was no turning back now.

She inhaled and bravely started her way to the bedroom to change.
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

.: Chapter Sixteen: Twisted Sense :.
Feb 25th - Late Evening

At the highest point of the extravagant home, Asile-aux-Falaises, she had been sitting for hours. Seemed to of missed the fact that the sun was down and that night had taken over with its dark embrace. Sitting in a position that allowed the bend of her knees to be resting places for her elbows she had her lips hidden behind her knuckles, just staring out. Even the notes that played from her PCUi when a certain message came through wasn't given any notice. At least not at that moment.

Too much weighed on her mind and some of it could not be so easily be put to the side.

Reena.

The day she and her brother spotted this 'new form' of Renna was a day that started a few of those weighted things on her mind. Renna eating someone in an alley made her feel absolutely helpeless to do anything at all. Following that was the way Issy treated her when she spat out what Renna had done...

"You can't stay off in your own little world, Katt. Sometimes getting to the bottom of things is messy and sh*tty. But it has to get done!"

Her hands clenched tightly together as those words repeated in her head. Issy had no right to say that to her. Had no right what so ever. It hurt to know that Issy not only had brushed off the fact that she didn't want to be near Renna but straight up seemed to think that she didn't know what she saw..what she heard. It had been one hell of a stab the way Issy had treated her and what made it worse she didn't understand...Why.

Why she'd rather side with Renna without even so much as listening let alone believing the words that came out of her supposed friend's mouth.

"Honey, are you sure that is was *this* Ren---"

It had taken all her energy not to snap at Issy for that. No Issy. I imagined it cause I wanted a reason to hate Renna. I totally imagined how helpless I was to help the poor person she ate whole.

The ringtone went off again, alerting her once more that she had a message that was waiting her viewing.

Again it was ignored.

There was something wrong with her still. Something that made it nearly impossible to call upon the Reevi and when she did it seemed to tear her from the inside out in the most painful way.

She couldn't use it to protect herself from when Issy tried to kill her...

She couldn't use it ot protect the person who got ate by Renna...

What if something worse came along?

Again with the ringtone...

"Aren't you going to answer that?"

She cringed at the voice and slowly relaxed her arms from her knees. "What are you doing here..?" Slowly she looked over her shoulder to the figure that had been towering her for who knows how long, "Chaos..."

He grinned broadly to her. "It has been a month or so since we last spoke so I figured I should stop by and see how you are."

She grunted quietly and pulled out the pcui from her hoodie's pocket.

The ringtone itself had told her who it was so it wasn't no surprise to see it was from her brother.

All right, I've got everything set up, and you don't show for your check-up. What's going on? Don't make me call Clayton out on you...or better yet, I'll send Finn for ya.

Yeahhhhh...she didn't need Finn chasing her down thank you very much. The shadow loomed more over her and she glanced up to find Chaos looking over her shoulder to read the message. "Problems?"

"Check up huh? Are you with child?"

Good grief! What was it with people asking her that?! "No." she snapped at him, " Ever since you've pulled whoever out of me I haven't been right. I can't use my Reevi the way I should."

Chaos stepped back, hands in the air. Slowly they lowered as he regarded her. "How do you mean?"

"When I try to use it I either can't or it came tearing through my skin to the point I've almost bled out just forming claws. Even taking blood in seems to be slower at healing my wounds..." Her eyes lowered to her hands. "Was Silma making me stronger?"

"I think that is hardly the issue. She most likely tampered with something while inside you. Could be a mental blockage. Could be a spiritual blockage. Only one way to find out. Come to the Between on the first. We shall speak to the source to find out."

Blinking she shifted enough to look at Chaos. "You mean Silma? How is that possible? Isn't she just-"

Chaos grinned and stopped her from finishing. "You will get your answers. I'll make sure she is ready for your visit."

"Chaos.." she muttered before he could go anywhere.

"Yes, my dark Lily?"

Pushing herself up to her feet she turned fully to him. "Why did you help my brother? What is your real reason?"

"My real reason?" he seemed amused by the question.

"Yes. I know damn well you didn't just help because you wanted to save me. Why..."

"Well that is simple my dear. I had information he needed to help his beloved little sister. In return I got something I wanted from him." He answered in a rather non-nonchalant tone.

It pissed her off. "What do you mean you got what you wanted from him? What did you get?!"

His hand graced the air in a dismissive wave. "That is not for you to know."

"CHAOS!" She snarled out his name. "You do anything to hurt him and I will-"

"You will what? In your current condition you are nothing more than a human."

"Yeah well..don't forget I have the skills to kill a man without anyone finding out." She snapped at him.

"True. Even without your Reevi you are still quite the little threat aren't you?" He smiled sickeningly sweet to her. "No matter how much you try to hide it you are, and always be, my Dark Lily."

Her eyes turned away. "Will I stop having black outs now that Silma is not in me?"

"Perhaps. I cannot say. However have you ever considered that she may of been what tampered down your rage? She used your emotions to control you. Now that she is no longer there to I find myself curious to what will happen next."

She grunted quietly, not willing to think too much about it. "The first you said right?" Her eyes trailed down to the grassy front, spotting the shadow of the large catamount home from his hunt. "I want answers..." She didn't wait for a respond from the Shadow King. Instead she slid down off the roof and down onto the balcony's ledge. She wasn't going to chance killing herself by jumping down.

What is it that he could of possibly of gotten from her brother? What was it that Ed had...that Chaos could of wanted?
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

Mar 1st - Early Morning

Finally the day arrived. Clayton knew, to a degree, what was going on. She was going to find answers that only Silma could provide. He didn't like that she was going without him but she couldn't exactly bring him to the Between without permission now that she couldn't shadow step. She didn't like it either but that was just how things fell into place. If she had thought about it at the time she would of made it a demand of Chaos.

However now the question stood on how she was going to get there herself. She hadn't even thought of that! Sitting on the edge of the balcony just outside of her and Clayton's room she watched the colorful display light up the sky, her mind rolling with a number of things. How she was going to get there was only one of those things.

Another was the issue of Issy. She had thought about what Issy said over the course of the days. Including going the meeting when she brought Issy's very late Christmas present to the temple. Issy didn't view friendship the way she did. She had realized it some time ago but she wanted to believe she was wrong. Issy was way too quick to take the side of others and question everything she was. Tommy. Renna. She never stood by Katt when it came to things of that nature even though they had known each other for what seemed like forever now. It just started to feel that Issy would believe anyone and everything first before she would believe her. It was a very hurtful feeling but in the end she realized something...

She couldn't force Issy to trust her. She wouldn't force Issy to trust her. She wouldn't force her to do anything actually. She just kind of accepted that things were limited and there was a threshold that Issy didn't want her to cross. She wasn't as important to Issy as she viewed Issy to be in her own life.

Why...did this situation feel familiar? She couldn't place her finger on it but it did give off that feeling.

Well regardless there was nothing she could really do. Issy was..well..Issy.

Much like it was Race. He who disappeared after talking with some rather seedy characters in an alley. She tried to wait to see if he would call after his ...well whatever the dude had been...told her that Race was fine. Would be fine? It took a lot of effort not to call first.

She was worried...

Scratching her scalp she grumbled. Thinking too much caused problems but it was the reason she couldn't sleep.

"(vs) There is just something wrong with me..." She grumbled at the morning air.

What could she do? Stop caring? Like that would happen... Just seem to let things go. That was the best she could do. Not like anyone really cared to ask how she felt anywho. She could just stuff those feelings down and move on like nothing happened.

"Man you looked like you are ready to strangle someone."

The sudden voice on the air made her cringe and she looked over shoulder. Well that explained how she was going to get to the Between. "Xavier...you know one day you are going to sneak up on me like that and I am going to end up trying to skewer you."

He smirked at her almost instantly. It wasn't like she hadn't tried before. "I can stop it about as much as you can, my dear."

"Point taken." Sliding carefully out of the position on the edge of the balcony she stood and turned to face him. "You are here as my escort?"

"Pretty much." he bowed to her with a grin.

The flourished gesture he made with his gauntlet laced hand, along with the bow, made her want to roll her eyes. "Good lets get this over with..."

"Of course m'lady." Offering his bent arm to her he kept the grin plastered on his pale face. "So want to share with me what has you thinking so terribly hard?"

"Nothing really to talk about. Just me being a sucky friend. I'm going to try to be better at it. I guess I really ain't too good with people..." She reached out to curl her fingers to the crook of his arm.

"You are a little rough around the edges when it comes to people skills but I wouldn't say you suck at it. I mean look," he jerked a thumb to the door leading back into the bedroom, "you got a man in bed and a brother who is there for you. You have a number of friends, too."

"Not sure if I count some of them as friends." she murmured quietly.

Curiously he looked at her, "Explain?"

"I know a lot of people, sure. I mean I know a lot of people. But how many of them know me? I haven't trusted many with my secrets nor gotten really close to many. And there are even fewer who know and who I trust unconditionally." She explained even as the world started to shift around them.

The cold grasp of the Shadow Planar could be felt much more without her own connection. It was like someone grasping inside her chest and playing around with her innards.

Not...a fun feeling...

"That just makes the ones that know you well enough and that you trust all the more worth having right?"

She grunted in answer. She found herself in a familiar room by the time Xavier's hand lowered. That waiting room she was always left to rest in while the rest of the castle laid beyond the grand doors.

"The ones you call friend are still friend, right? What more is there to think about?" he questioned her with amusement on his face.

She wanted to smack that look off. "I guess I am waiting here? If so can you do me a huge favor?"

He raised a brow at her, waiting for her to continue. However he didn't stand in one place while he waited. Moving away from her he went to the graceful desk at the far end of the room and started to shuffle through some of the items there. One being a nice sized, parchment wrapped box. "I suppose I could," was eventually offered.

"It is about time for the blossoms to bloom in the valley isn't it? Do you think you could get me a few snow lilies before it is too late?" She didn't look over to him while she asked. Instead she was looking around the room that had been kept up, seemingly, just for her. It was weird really...

"Snow Lily? I suppose I could do that for you but what do I get in return?" he smirked over to her as he asked. "Do you want me to bring you a branch of those cherry blossoms you love so much."

"I won't let Clayton eat you when you bring me back home?" She smirked right back at him. She hadn't seen cherry blossoms in a long while. "That would be nice..."

The threat, while not really a threat, made him laugh. "He could die trying."

The look she gave him for that comment was as if she were trying to kill him with her stare.

"Yes I know. You'd have your way with me if I touched him and not in the fun way."

"Gross, Xavier. Real gross. Besides you couldn't kill him if you tried."

"You really have that much faith in your boyfriend's skills?"

She nodded a single time. "Damn straight I do!"

"It is an annoying but the cat-man tends to get up after being smacked down. The same with her so called brother."

The unfamiliar female voice had her turning to the door. "Pardon? My 'so called' brother? He is my brother."

Standing at the door, draped in regal red, was a woman who stood maybe three inches taller than Katt. Her waist length black hair spilled straight down like it was ink. The glossy locks were a contrast to the white as snow complexion of the woman, doll like features set with ruby red lips and eyes as black as the abyss. "Keep telling yourself that."

"I will leave you two ladies to talk." Xavier quickly removed himself from the room, closing the door as if in a hurry.

"Xavier?" she called after him but it was too late. Slowly she turned to the woman, a frown starting to form. "Do...I know you?"

The doll like woman smirked, What is the matter, child? Cannot tell who I am not that I am no longer one with you?"

Her brows shot down. "Silma. Why are you in a body." Hissing she slid a step back away from the woman.

"Oh don't you worry, child. This body was stolen from no poor soul. I am but a homunculus created for Lord Chaos' whim." Her long, pale hands clasped together as she started to walk across the room and eventually swept down to sit on the edge of the bed. "You want to know why you cannot use your born abilities. That is why you are here is it not?"

She ignored, for the moment, that Chaos gave Silma her own body. Instead she focused on the reason she was there. "Yes. I want answers."

A soft sound hummed from Silma's ruby lips as she watched the young girl before her. "Don't worry. The effects I had on you will wear off in time and your abilities will return to you. Another month or two and you will be right as rain. All I did was block off certain points of your energy and your ability to control what you are. You using your Reevi was becoming a nusense to me and drained you quite a bit. So when I was in control I had less time to have fun. Can't control a weak body for long." The smile that stretched across her face was that of the Cheshire cat, "But it was so fun and I wanted it for my own."

"How..how were you getting control of me?" She had some sort of idea. Had for a while now...but still it was just speculation.

"Your emotions was ultimately your undoing when it came to that control." Silma examined her long, crimson painted nails as she spoke. "You have a strong will and if it wasn't for that then I would of likely taken control of you for good a long time ago. But your loved ones and friends made it increasingly hard. Even more so when those two stupid men came into your life."

She growled at Silma when she heard that. Edward and Clayton...

"Yes that right there." She pointed a finger at Katt. "You can be so very fierce in your emotions. When you love, you love deeply. When you are in despair, it runs deep to your core. It was in your despair or blind rage that I found it easiest to take over." She raised a hand to stop Katt from asking any questions, "However most oft when you were in, what I will refer to as your berserk mode, I had very little control. It is hard to control such-" Silme stopped, attempting to find the singular word that would explain it all but came up short. "Chaos."

"Are you the reason I was blacking out?" she questioned quickly.

"Yes. In the beginning it was less easier to control you when you so it had to be done when you were in an emotional turmoil. As time progressed I was finding it easier with attempts. Playing with your dreams, while fun, also aided in the progress. If those two men had not become involved I daresay I would have your body all to myself by this time." She sighed and looked Katt over. Slowly she stood up and approached her, a hand raising to brush her cheek. "Such a pity too. I quite like your body."

Katt raised a hand to smack away the woman's hand, her words way too creepy. "Why me?"

Silma's hand dipped away but reached out to grab Katt's wrist, the taller leaning in close. Her arms slowly slipped around Katt to draw her close with one hand pinning the captured arm behind her and the other just at the curve of her hip. Silma sighed out the wistful breath, "Why you? I had been with you for years and have seen you grow. I've seen you struggle so beautifully. I wanted your soul to drift in oblivion knowing that your loved ones would die by your own hands. Can't you just imagine it? Your hands covered with the blood of your so called brother? Or maybe that boyfriend of yours?"

Still through most of it Katt just stood there but the moment she brought up Clayton and Edward she started to laugh. "Both wouldn't hesitate to kill this body if they knew I was gone for good. Hell! Edward almost did once!" And likely would of if Renna hadn't saved her.

Silma leaned back and looked at Katt's face. "So you are saying they would of killed you without thinking their may be a way to bring you back? Which one of us is foolish?"

Katt's eyes drifted down. If it came down to that? A chance they could get her back...She knew if it was one of them she wouldn't be able to do it. The idea of something happening to Edward...wasn't something she wanted to think about. Clayton...It seemed like nothing could kill him so she didn't have to worry about that as much right? Well okay she still worried but not nearly as much. Specially with Edward being so wreckless. Then again wasn't she a little wreckless? Siblings for sure...

"You do not seem so sure anymore." Silma mused as she stepped away. "So unsure." She tisked as she stepped back.

"Shut up."

"Well do you have any more questions?"

Silma sounded way too amused for her liking. "My abilities..they will return?"

"Yes. There are also a few in you that have yet to flourish but there is time to grow. Time to grow into that beautiful little death flower that Chaos wishes so much for you to bloom into."

She didn't care about that. "The blackouts will stop?"

"That I cannot say. Maybe but at the same time I can't say they will. However now you will have to face the fact that you are have a dark side and not all of it can be blamed on me. After all some of my actions were guided by you." Silma smirked. "There is still darkness in you. Darkness that I do not play a part of. Just like me that beast wanted to be free. That beast is apart of you." The last part was cooed as she headed to the door. "If there aren't anymore questions then I shall take my leave. I have duties to attend to."

She had plenty of questions but none of them she could give voice to. Sighing she shook her head, feeling as if the trip had been some sort of waste. "You know if it was up to me I'd bring you to my brother and let him do whatever he wanted to do you. Or Mesteno because he wouldn't mind a piece of you. Clayton I am sure too.."

Silma only laughed as she slipped out of the door, leaving Katt alone in the vast empty room.

She'd have to wait for Xavier's return but for now she could do that. She had time to think.

A beast inside of her. Darkness that wasn't Silma. Did that mean her darkness was still there? Was Silma that cold feeling she felt every time she blacked out?

So many questions...but it looked like that would be a question for the future to answer. What scared her most? Losing her brother...her boyfriend...her friends..because of it. Even still..she was less one soul in her body so that was good. And in the past Clayton wanted to help her with her darkness. Maybe he was right all along about the beast.

It wasn't that she didn't believe him it was more lie she had thought their situations were different.

Apparently she was wrong.

"There is that brooding face again."

"And there you are showing up out of the blue again." She turned to face him and found that he not only got the flower bloom she requested but had a vase with of cherry blossom branches decorating it. A half dozen snow lilies were decorated with the branches of pale and bright pink blossoms.

He saw she had noticed and grinned while holding the vase out. "I made sure to pull the bulb and roots up so you can replant them if you want."

Nodding she took the vase carefully from him, not moving away as he moved forward to take her arm. "Time to go home. Chaos doesn't wish to speak with you right now. I am sure it has something to do with the fact he gave that woman a body." He grinned down to her while the world shifted around them.

Time to go, indeed.

It was in that moment she came to realize something...

Home was a concept that was different to her. It wasn't where you were born. Not to her. It was the place you felt you belonged.

She had truly found home without realizing it.

"Yeah...I want to go home."
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

.: Chapter Seventeen: Distance Between Worlds :.
Sept 9th - Afternoon

"How are you guys doing out there?"

"Get yer feet off m'desk!"

She snickered and shifted her feet from their folded position on the edge of the vast desk. Sweeping a hand across the wood surface she turned her eyes to the holo-screen where her brother's exhausted looking face was scowling her from. She smiled if only because it was good to see him. "When are you going to be home? I miss you guys."

"Dat's a good question. We still gotta lotta ground to cover. We missin' ya too, s?ur."

"I'm sure you are." She chuckled and settled her elbows on the top of the desk with her cheeks planted in her palms. "I still don't like that you took him with you instead of me."

"Ya know why..."

She sighed quietly, "I know. It still sucks, though. You look like you haven't slept much. If you come home looking like that I am going to wreck your lab as punishment."

He chuckled at her threat, "Love ya too, sis. I am gunna step back so ya man can have a few words. See ya next broadcast."

She made smoochy faces at her brother and smiled, a smile that grew when she saw the next face fill the screen. "Hey you!"

"Hey love. How you holding up?"

She had missed that purring voice. "Lonely as hell but it isn't like in the past lonely. Just missing the two guys in my life!"

A purring chuckle was given, "I miss you, too. How *bzt* boys?"

"Ah! You are breaking up." She whined and shifted around in the large armchair as if that would do something to help the screen that was starting to warp from interference.

"Looks like *bzt* up. bzt* bzt* you."

"You keep my brother safe, Clayton. I mean it!"

"*bzt* -se"

She sighed as the screen dead-lined and she slowly leaned back in her seat. They were alive and that was what mattered. She hated that they were so far away. Where ever that was. She disliked the fact that her brother didn't tell her their location or where they were headed.

It sucked...

But...

...She'd wait for them.

Her family...
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

Sept 19th - Dinner time

The office was dimmed and the only real lighting was the flickering of candle light. Sitting cross-legged on the floor she chuckled as she watched the holo-screen. It was the only way she could have dinner with either her brother or her boyfriend but it was nice. Even if transmission broke up every now and again.

"So you really threw your name in there."

"Yeah. I think the polls opened up today." she shrugged as she poked around the noodles in her plate.

"You seem excited."

"...I don't know, Clayton. After getting shot at an-"

"What?"

"I'm fine!" Crap! She needed to choose her words carefully or she'd find him at the door the next morning, huffing, puffing, and completely exhausted.

"What happened?"

"I am not even sure. Some dude sniping at me from across the street. Aimed at people I was associated with by surroundings."

"You mean people in the inn."

"Yeah... Apparently they were either doing it to help me 'save' people or they were trying to get me to step down from the running."

"That is-"

"Ridiculous? I know. It is also hard for me to believe that anyone would feel threatened by me being in office." Her eyes turned up to the screen when she heard chuckling. "What?"

"We both know why people would feel threatened. You would make changes and see them through if you had your way."

"I'm not looking to have my way, Clayton." she scowled at him. "I will be honest though. I will be surprised if I win."

"Why is that?"

She shrugged, not willing to answer that question. Maybe it was because if she spoke it out loud it would sound foolish. "There are other good candidates. Some...make me want to facepalm but there are still good ones..."

Even through the hologram he could tell she was starting to deflate and quickly changed the subject, "Halloween is coming up."

That seemed to do the trick. "Yeah. I'm not sure if I am going to do Fright Night again."

"Why not? I thought you enjoyed doing it."

"I do! And I like seeing other people having fun." Tucking her legs under herself she looked up to the holo-screen. "I was hoping by that time you guys would realize how much you absolutely miss me and let me come join you." Okay so that was a lie but hey! It could work out in her favor...right?

"Not going to happen." he informed her with a purring chuckle.

Damn...

"Oh. Looks like Rene needs me. Probably wants to talk about the new deserves for the grille." Dropping her fork she turned her attention to the face she oh so adored. "Listen. I'm not trying to run for governor because I want power. To me it is nothing more than a title. There is no real power behind it. But I could do something with it still. I could hopefully get people to work together and see things flourish in a way that......I don't know. I don't want power. I want to help people. That is all." Standing she brushed herself off.

"I know, Katt. But like you said last time, you don't need to be governor to make a difference."

She smiled to Clayton and gave a firm nod. "Exactly! Even if people don't know what I do for them doesn't mean I am going to stop either."

He rumbled out a chuckle at her, "Good. Talk to you in the morning."

"Alright. You and Edward keep safe. Please. I don't know what I would do without either one of you." She made smoochy faces at the screen until it faded out. Sighing she scratched at her bangs.

Why did she feel...nervous?

That was weird...
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

Nov 12th - Hours after midnight

"I should sign off now. The battery is getting low."

"Oh.."

"What is wrong, Kathryn? You have been very quiet tonight."

"I.." she sighed. He knew her too well. "It's nothing..."

"Kathryn."

She knew that tone. He wasn't going to put up with not hearing what weighed her down so. Planting her chin on her pillow she clung it close. "I miss you. I miss Edward. And I suck at being his replacement."

There was a rumbling chuckle that came from the holo-screen. "We miss you too. I miss you."

"Will you be home for Christmas?" Asking for her birthday seemed like she was asking for a bit much. "I want us to give a gift to Rhi and Gory's new children. You know? Together?"

"I don't know when we will be back."

"But you are coming back, right?"

"You know the answer to that."

She did...

No matter what they would come back to her. She just...hated the wait...

"You need to get out more like what we talked about earlier. No more hiding in your work."

"I'm not hiding. There is just a lot to -"

"Excuses."

She grumbled and hid her face in the pillow.

"We will talk more later. Get some rest."

"Sleep sweet, Clayton."

"You too."

Sighing she rolled over in her bed and clung to the massive neck of the Moor cat who was fast asleep next to her. He rumbled at her and tucked his neck against her shoulder while she snuggled in. He wasn't Clayton but he was comfort.
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

Dec 15th - Early Morning

"So how was the ball?"

"I didn't go?"

"Why not?"

She shrugged at the holo-image of Clayton as she toyed with some paperwork. "I was busy getting some stuff ready for a Christmas dinner for Ebon's orphanage. It is suppose to be a surprise."

"Would of been nice if you would of been out. You didn't stay in yesterday too did you?"

"Yeah."

"You did nothing for your birthday?"

"....I worked?"

"Kathryn."

She blinked slowly and raised her eyes up to the image again. "Mrm?" All she saw was him giving her that look. Like she should know better. Sighing she raised her hands to clasp them under her chin. "What else was I suppose to do?"

"Go out and be among your friends?" he chuckled at her and when she stuck her tongue out at him the chuckling grew louder.

"Most of them are busy and I didn't want to bother anyone just because I am lonely. I'd just end up feeling selfish."

"It is okay to be selfish sometimes, remember?"

She chuckled quietly. "Yeah..I know. I miss you. I think that is tons selfish." Specially if they were doing what she figured they were doing.

"I miss you, too."

Stretching her arms across the desk she sighed up at him. "I had thought about going out for my birthday but.... I don't know. I guess I didn't want to bother anyone."

He chuckled at her again.

The purring sound that came from him caused a small smile. "I don't know." she mumbled and closed her eyes. "Come home soon..."

"I *bbzzttt* ch*bbbbztt*

She sat up when the screen went blank. "Diana what just happened?"

"I don't know, Ms. Batten. Weather interference most likely."

Lips pursed she leaned back in the seat. "Alright..."
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

.: Chapter Eighteen: A New Year :.
Jan. 4th, 2015

Christmas came and went, much like her birthday had.

Quietly...

Yes, she had gone out and enjoyed the snow, lights, the gatherings. Enjoyed the festivities and the celebrating. Well somewhat...There was still a Christmas tree in her place that had presents under it that needed to be given out. Dorian, sweet as he is, attempted to get her to join in his family's gathering for Christmas but joining them didn't feel right.

Instead Christmas Eve, while celebrating was going on, she stayed inside and kept up with what work she could for her brother as well as go through things with a few of the hands on staff that agreed to help her in the whole protecting of the Governor. Chief of Security and all. She had to do her job!

What time she hadn't been working she had spent in the training facility to keep herself fit as well as try to control the beast within.

Christmas Day was filled out by delivering dinners to the orphanages she went to every year, including the one Ebon had under his care. A bag of presents, food for little bellies, and snow.

It wasn't a bad Christmas...

She didn't like the quiet though. She didn't like the static that came from the holo-viewer. Diana said there was no feedback. No connection. Nothing.

No...

It wasn't just the quiet she didn't like...

It was the not knowing she didn't like. It festered and drove her nuts. Not knowing along with the strange sense of feeling that she had been here before. Like she was lost and she could do absolutely nothing about it but sit on her hands.

...And her mind just running away with her. Scenarios, good and bad, went through her head. It wasn't a good thing and work kept her from doing it too much.

That was probably why Rene had kicked her out of his kitchen. She was going off in her head and accidentally messed up some dish that he was trying to teach her to make. Instead she sent a ten foot blazing inferno from his stove! So of course he had kicked her out. Or maybe it was because it was almost two in the morning and he was ready to go home and get some sleep...

Grumbling she slowly trekked through the rain-slushed snow, avoiding puddles since her fur-lined boots were already soaked. She could hear the moor cat not that far off, keeping step with her as she went. The large feline knew there was something wrong with her and had been keeping darn close as of late. It didn't bother her, much...

"It is okay, Felix. You can come over..." Her hand stretched to her side, fingers flexed wide so to make room. Sure enough the large cat quickly sliced through the space between them to shove his massive head under her fingers. A small smile twitched her lips as she brushed through the darker than night fur.

"I'm alright. Stop looking at me like that." she tried to comfort the large feline as they walked. She could just feel it's bright blue eyes watching her every movement. It wasn't a 100% truth but it wasn't like she was going to keel over right under the massive beast's gaze.

Looking down to the feline she smiled a bit more. "So I was thinking..maybe I should cut my hair. What do you think?" She had noted a few days before that her hair had passed her waist. Shorter hair always made her look older. Less childish meant people took her more serious. Sometimes.

When the moor cat didn't answer she sighed and combed her fingers through her bangs. "Yeah I guess I'll think on it some more. So..I guess we can go home and check on...oh.." Right. Julian was gone too. The tux cat had fled out of the window one night and not returned. Probably found himself another home or was just tom-cating around. She could only hope the handsome kitty was doing well.

Tilting her head the sky she watched some of the snow fall. Light flurries that danced in the night air, giving a most serene image to mind. Slowly her smile began to curl a bit more, the corner of her lips ticking upward. Her enjoyment of snow hadn't changed. She still found a strange sense of peace in watching it flutter and fall. Slowly her fingers scratched through the fur as she and the moor cat continued on home.

Maybe she'd find some sleep and in the morning...or afternoon...whenever she woke...she could get off her rear and start delivering the gifts to their new homes.
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

.: Chapter Eighteen: The Cat Came Back :.
Jan. 6th

She had watched as Maggy, Rhi, Gory, and their two new borns left the inn. She felt bad for the way she acted when it came to the idea of them being close. It wasn't the children but rather her own fear of mayhaps hurting them in some way unintentionally. They did look adorable from afar and she was still honored to be their godmother. Even though she didn't quite understand what that entitled.

After they left she curled up in the pillows of the inn and toyed with her pcui while thinking over how she was going to get over the panic so she could at least get close enough to greet the small ones to the world.

The pcui was lowered and exchanged for the envelope that had been given to her before hand by Andu. Curiosity and all. It also kept her mind on how that meeting of her god children sucked! Hmm. To open or not to open. That was the question.

The call erupted out of the cold night outside, a scream as blood-chilling as the winter night itself...the distinctive voice of the mountain lion. Mere moments later, the door opened to admit the tall, broad frame of the big cat in human form, clad in a familiar getup consisting of nothing more than worn-looking jeans and a grey hooded sweatshirt. Green-gold eyes swept the Inn slowly, finally settling on the hearth, and a smile found his features.

By the way she was messing with the envelope she hadn't heard the sound or mayhaps even dismissed it but for just reasons. No she was just playing at the corners with her nails trying to figure if she wanted to wait or not.

Seeing he hadn't been noticed - save by a select few, whom he nodded to silently - a smirk of feline mischief tugged at Clayton's features. Bare feet crept silently across the room, headed hearthward.

"Mrph." The sound left Katt and she flopped the envelope down on the pcui. Both items were tucked into the front pocket of her lined hoodie and she finished off the scotch.

It seemed everyone was vacating the premises. Clayton's smirk broadened as he noted that, wondering if they sensed some kind of impending explosion. He wasn't sure himself, but he certainly wasn't going to fear such a thing. In perfect silence he crept up behind Katt at the hearth, pausing just in back of her, leaning over to speak in his low, purring voice. "Good evening, Kathryn."

Katt felt the presence looming as she saw the shadow. A mark of annoyance slowly tugged her emotionless mask...Until she heard that voice. The look disappeared within a second and she turned her head to the voice. Her lips slowly parted and for a brief second she looked past the feline in man's flesh before turning her sharp greens back to him. The bottle and glass were both forgotten as she sprung out of her position like she was built on springs. If ever there was a moment she lived up to her namesake, that would be it. She quite literally pounced at Clayton. There was no words because for right now all she wanted was to make sure he was ..actually there.

Catching Clayton off-guard was hardly an easy thing to pull off, but Katt made it look just that - easy. She wouldn't have any troube believing he was solid reality as she bowled him over and landed atop him, his arms wrapping around her on instinct so she wouldn't go tumbling away, a deep, purring laugh rumbling out of his throat. "I missed you too, love."

It was really him! Katt's head shook a handful of times, tossing the obsidian hair that had grown way too long by now. Still no words but she buried her face into the crook of Clayton's neck, hiding her face from view and for good reason. Inhaling deep of his scent she whimpered quietly. "(vs) I am so, so glad to see you." Even if it was just to see he was okay. Fingertips pressed firmly against the man she was clinging to. He was just gunna have to deal with the nails biting at him. At least it wasn't her claws?

Even as she inhaled his scent, Clayton took the moment to push his face into her long black tresses, inhaling deeply to sample hers - such a faint thing, yet unmitkable to his senses. He made no move to get up, disregarding the multiple sets of eyes on them as he held her close, tightening his arms around her as he purred into her ear. (vs)"As I am to see you, my dear Kathryn."

If Clayton and her brother were trying to put her through some sort of trial they did a bang up job of it. She had to eventually come up for air but it wasn't something she was happy about doing. Lifting her head Katt peppered Clayton's face with a few kisses but stopped. Slowly her eyes turned up to the door before returning to the man under her. "Are you okay? Is my brother okay? What happened?" He had to expect there would be a ton of questions. Nevermind that her cheeks were tear soaked.

Of course he knew there would be questions! Seeing the direction of her gaze, Clayton let out a softly purring chuckle, taking the opportunity as she craned her head upwards to nuzzle her neck, taking another deep breath of her scent. "Edward sent me back ahead of him...I gather he still had a thing or two to work out. He wouldn't let me in on the details...I get the feeling he wants to talk to you himself about what's been going on."

Katt's chin dipped to rest on top of Clayton's head but boy did it jerk up quickly. Her head positioned as she leaned back and she stared at him. "You ...left him out there? Alone? Or you mean he is in the city.." Yes, Clayton. It was one of those looks. Answer wisely!

Clayton smirked back up at her, arching an eyebrow, seemingly unfazed by that look. "Your brother is hardly a defenseless cub, Kathryn." With a smile he shook his head. "He is not home yet, but in New Orleans, where I believe he is likely safer even than being here."

She growled at him. "I know he isn't but that doesn't mean I want him to be alone! What if something happens! You were suppose to watch his back!" She knew the place he spoke of if only from stories her brother told her. She was still not happy that Clayton left her brother alone but..she was happy he was there. "If something happens to him I am taking it out on your hide." How? Well..there were ways. Some good. Some bad. Who knows! Squirming her way down she sat on Clayton's lap so he could sit. Probably not the best place to be laying flat. With this position she could look him over. She knew he could heal so she didn't know why she was looking him over for wounds or tell tale signs.

He blinked up at her a moment, forgetting for a moment she could do that...and yet he couldn't help a smile anyway. She could have been armed to the teeth and ready to skin him alive, but he was just glad to see her again. "Hardly alone, love. He does have holdings for his company there, as well as plenty of security to watch his back." He let her look him over, knowing she was searching for wounds, knowing she would find none. Once she was satisfied he sat up, keeping her in his lap, unwilling to let her go just yet. "I woud not abandon my responsibilities so lightly."

Now that answer seemed to satisfy her. While his security wasn't Clayton, the guys were no push overs themselves. And they each knew that if something happened to Ed...she'd totally have their hides. She was good at hiding bodies. Slowly her shoulders relaxed and her hands slumped into her lap, leaving her weight completely to the embrace she had missed so greatly. "I can't believe you are back. When we lost communication I was so.." Insert a word here because the list was long. She wouldn't ask where they were or what it was that Edward needed to speak to her about. Knowing they were both safe was a huge weight that had been on her shoulders for a long, long time.

He nodded, gathering her into his arms to hold her up against him, feeling her relax against him with a smile. "I think that was the reason Edward sent me ahead...we knew you would be worried. And I was not about to let a simple message be delivered when I could deliver it in person."

"I've probably got grey hairs because of you two." As if her hair wasn't already white under the black dye. Tucking her chin down she pressed into him. Even if there was still any patron's left she would of done it. World be damned right now. "It...has been hard without you two here." She wasn't going to lie but then again it was probably already common knowledge. Lifting a hand she heeled it against her eyes to wipe away some tears. Seeing him again made the emotions spill no matter how hard she tried to contain it.

He couldn't help a softly purring chuckle as she said the bit about her hair, leaning his head down to place a soft kiss on the top of her head as he held her close, then nodded to the latter part, sighing with soft regret. "I know, my love...and I am sorry. I wish I could have been here." His hands came up, fingers tracing along the paths of her tears to remove the last lingering remnants.

Her lips pursed a bit before relaxed. "Maybe I...I was too reliant on you and Edward? Maybe I had to go through this? I don't know." She didn't like that thought. She liked the fact that she had people she could lean on. Someone she could trust. Her family. "Do you have to leave again?" The question quietly left her as she looked up to him. For a moment her heavy, unnatural stare was doe-like.

He didn't see it that way, but then, his perspective on things tended to be vastly different from most. "I could not say, my dear Kathryn...but I think you have probably exceeded at least your own expectations over the last months. Personally, I had no doubt that you would do well." He grinned at her. "But then, it could be said that I am biased." Her question was met with slow smile, a shake of his head as his eyes settled on hers. "No, my love...you are, once again, stuck with me."

She snorted. "I became my brother. I think people were starting to worry I wouldn't come out. I did though. Oh! Rhi had her babies! I am a godmother now." Lets see what else was there. "Ebon made me his chief of security. I am more of a back up plan if he actually needs it." She might of continued on but her eyes met his. His words, however, caused her head to shake. "I was always stuck with you." She reached up to place a single finger against the stone that she never took off. Well okay ..she did but only to bathe!

He had missed much, it seemed, and wished he had not missed a single moment. Something would have to be done about that in the future, he thought. The smile on his lips softened as his eyes dropped to focus on the heartstone that he had gven her, a literal piece of himself. His own fingers came up to rest against it, brushing over hers as they did, his eyes coming back up to hers. "And glad to be so honored, my sweet Kathryn."

He would find her eyes had been distracted down to his own hand, her fingers flexed out and curling slowly to try and lace with his own. She had almost forgot how warm he was. His scent had long since been pulled away by time. There had been nothing that reminded her of him for months. Nothing but memories. "Welcome home, Clayton." The words were mumbled quietly as she looked back up to him but she knew even if she had whispered he would of heard.
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

.: Chapter Nineteen: Two years and counting... :.
Feb. 9th

It was a little over a month and she found herself still waking in the morning surprised to see him there either asleep at her side or roaming around nearby with Felix in tow. There was no complaining on her end. It was just after him being gone for so long it still, to her, felt like a dream. Like she was going to wake up one morning and realize that it had been her mind playing out a scene of longing.

But it was no dream and he reminded her of that in various ways every day.

This particular morning she found herself watching him slumber next to her with no clue to why she wasn't still asleep herself. Though the million and one things on her mind could very well be the reason.

A few days after his return had been their two year anniversary. Not that she brought it up but it was the mere fact he was still there that mattered. And now, a few days away, was going to be their second Valentines day together. She really didn't remember celebrating it before him so she was at a loss at what to do for the day that was for couples to celebrate each other and their love.

Leaning over a kiss was placed against his temple and she stilled while he stirred. It was only when he seemed to fall back asleep did she shift away, the thick comforter brushed aside so that she could move out of the bed. Once the blanket was folded back into place she turned to head out of the room but before she could get too far it seemed Felix had a different idea. The large Moor Cat decided to pounce right in front of her half-awake self and the result was her bowling right into the large cat. A tumble and crash later she found herself laying on the ground and the moor cat nuzzling on her looking for pets. The rumbling purr was second only to the cat-in-manflesh that was now awake after the racket.

Moments later she found herself being demanded of not one but two great cats. Laughing she placed her palms against the mountain cat's forehead as he nuzzled and nudged at her. "Clayton stop! Too early!" That only seemed to encourage him more and soon enough the room was filled with laughter and loud rumbling purrs.

Are you happy?

Lucien's question suddenly popped in her head. Her answer to him had been cautious at best. She was nervous to say she was fully happy. Like it would be tempting fate to take it all away from her. Hell she had thought fate HAD taken it all from her when the two most important men in her life had left.

Was she happy?

Yes.

And fate be damned. She wasn't going to let go without a fight!
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

Feb. 13th

She had done some planning and it was all for the simplest of things. To reconnect to the cat in man-flesh. Not that much was lost between them in the time that he was gone, mind you, but with him being gone just short of a year the two she wanted him all to herself. No work. No friends. Just them two. And what better day to do that than the day meant for lovers?

Arriving at Mount Yasuo she found herself riddled with emotions that left her bewildered. Emotions that had no source. As if there were something there that she was forgetting. Emotions that she quickly dismissed as uneasiness and quickly set about her task.

First stop was a couple she had spoken to earlier in the month, shortly after Clayton's return. She had actually contacted the folks at first as a retreat for herself. To recollect herself after all of the work she had been doing. Now she had more intimate reasons.

Guided by the pair she listened to the elderly woman's words as she went on about the history of the area, gesturing here and there. It was the little house that they were coming to that held her interest really. Secluded and among the trees... a little bathhouse with an attached spring to it. It had all the comforts they needed and a bit more.

"Now you sure you want to be out here all alone young miss?"

Her eyes tilted over to scan the trees. Winter had left this place and there wasn't a spot of snow. She was both disappointed and glad. "I won't be alone as originally planned." she mumbled over to the elderly woman.

"Oh?"

Her eyes returned to the elderly pair and a small smile ticked the corner of her lips. "I'll be bringing my boyfriend along."

"Now you two don't need to be breaking things or getting familiar." the old woman scolded at her while moving ahead to gather some of the wood for the firepit.

The old man remained next to her chortling in his amusement, "Don't mind her dear. She is stuck in the old ways. You and your fella get frisky all you want."

If the woman's comment hadn't made her flush then the old man's had. Clearing her throat she shook her head, "We are just coming to relax."

"What happens, happens." he added.

Now she was worried about having a peeping tom during their vacation!

The couple showed off a few more perks of the place and information was passed between them. Meals would be brought three times a day and left out on the table just inside the sliding door of the sitting room. This would be perfect. Plenty of wildlife for Clayton to hunt if he wanted. Calm and Serenity. She wasn't all that good with quiet but she was pretty sure it wouldn't be that quiet while they were there...

Clayton was loud...

After parting ways with the elderly couple she took time to walk the meadows. Trees that would soon be blossoming into pink petaled flowers were lined prettily and the grass was growing plush with new life. A few more things were done in preparation for their second valentine together.

Two years. Still it amazed her. She wasn't sure why. He said he wasn't going anywhere and she had told him she believed him.

Maybe some part of her still worried...

Shaking her head she made her way through the portal. Time to go home and get things ready! Including the cat in man-flesh...
Katt Batten
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Katt Batten »

.: Chapter Twenty: The things people don't know :.
Feb. 23th

"Are you sure you want to do this." Kyle asked as he leaned over Katt's right shoulder.

"Yesssss." was his answer and most likely a bit too devilish. She didn't care! "A little more to the left. Nhhhh! Hurry up Kyle!" Katt groaned and squirmed a bit.

"Impatient aren't you?" Kyle grunted quietly as he worked.

"Well yeah. I want to be done before gets home!"

"You know he is going to be pissed when he finds out."

"That isn't stopping you, is it?" she laid on the sweet talk. Yes apparently Katt can do sweet talk. Go figure right?

"Hell no!"

"Right!"

"Here?"

"No! Your other right! Are you even in the same room!?" She whined and pushed at Kyle's shoulders. "Here! Let me put it in!"

"Do you even know how to put it in?"

"...."

"Exactly," Kyle snickered over to her, "Now let me finish. You get any louder and we are going to draw attention."

"Well if you would hurry up already." she snapped back.

"Just a bit more... ... ... ... And done!" Kyle's fingers slapped on the edge of the table and he looked down to his partner in crime.

"Wow." Katt actually giggled. "Grab the pcui and lets see how it goes."

Kyle bent over to retrieve the PCUI that had been left on the floor for the sake of room.

"Like... oh my god, B.E.C.K.Y! Look at his butt!" The AI, D.I.A.N.A was standing at the other side of the table like a preppy teen girl with her fingers curling around a strain of hair. The way her mouth moved would suggest chewing bubblegum.

Katt about died when Kyle sat up straight a bit too quick. Biting her bottom lip she glanced over to the man. "I think ...it worked."

"Oh man Ed is going to flip." Kyle laughed as he placed in a few more details.

"Like totally!" D.I.A.N.A chimed in causing both Katt and Kyle to break into laughter.

"So you have made sure that this little change won't mess with any of the network right?" Katt leaned into the table and eyed Kyle so he knew she wasn't playing games. She wouldn't have him screwing with her brother's network. Course she knew he wouldn't. They both knew he wouldn't.

"Yep. I set it just how you wanted it. For her personalty to change when he is around. It is temporary and you have the code to over write it when you are ready."

"You don't think he will hate me for this do you?"

"Naw! A little prank like this? It will be interesting to see how he reacts."

"Maybe we should give her the same accent as him."

"Nah we should leave it as is."

The two remained in the lab for a good two hours just tinkering with small, fun, details. D.I.A.N.A didn't seem to mind. The AI might of even been having just as much fun.

...Who knows!

Return to “The Phalanx”