A Letter And Invitation To The Barons

Notices and stories concerning events in the legendary basement of the Duel of Swords.

Moderator: Staff

Nat Candle
Adventurer
Adventurer
Location: Presently: Tinderdale Pines, outside the Rhy'din City proper

A Letter And Invitation To The Barons

Post by Nat Candle »

Hand written letters were delivered to each of the Baronial Manors in addition to another that went up on the cork board in the Arena.

Hello!

I realize that it's a little premature with the Standings still a few days off, but given what busy schedules people tend to have, I figured I would get a jump on things. I'm not terribly concerned about what alignment some of you may end up choosing and, regardless of your ultimate choices in the coming days, I would like to extend an invitation. Lunch. Monday around the noon hour I've arranged for a private table for in the Arena's bistro. Loyal or Renegade, I'd be honored if you would attend, and the meal is being paid for out of my own pocket. I hope to see you there.

Regards,

Nat Candle
Nat Candle
Adventurer
Adventurer
Location: Presently: Tinderdale Pines, outside the Rhy'din City proper

Re: A Letter And Invitation To The Barons

Post by Nat Candle »

At noon on Monday, table and host were ready.

At some point, and with a little ingenuity, one of the storage rooms nearest the Bistro had been cleaned out and remodeled into a private dining room. It was something intimate and homey, with a lot of detail and polish put into it without becoming too opulent. While it could have easily accommodated more, the table had been set for eight with the newly minted Overlord opting to leave the head of the table empty to sit alongside the others.

Servers came and went with a quick ease of purpose, filling and refilling glasses when needed and putting down platters of food when necessary. The meal itself was served 'family style', which required the guests to share and pass dishes among themselves as time went on.

The host himself was affable and engaging, a man of easy smiles and quick, wry wit (and prone to ramble when it came to many mundane or scholarly topics). When then luncheon finally broke up, the attending Barons and Baronesses were sent on their way with a gift basket.

[OOC Note: There are zero expectations as far as anyone adding to this, though the players behind the Barons are welcome to. Otherwise, feel free to roll your eyes and laugh. :) ]
Mallory
RoH Admin
RoH Admin

Post by Mallory »

Neither the family-style meal nor Nat's affable manner surprised Mallory much: it jived with the personality of someone who'd come calling at Battlefield Park with bags of takeout -- and gone home with an axe. She settled in comfortably with her fellow barons, passing dishes along, filling up her plate, and putting away a couple beers over the course of the lunch.

She even mostly managed not to encourage Nat's scholarly rambling, though by the end of her second beer, she couldn't help but go on about magic circles and the Ward of Gondar.

If nothing else Nat did surprised her much that day, the gift basket did. She looked over the bundle of books and mused aloud, "What a world."
Alasdair Galloway
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Alasdair Galloway »

While Alasdair was far from a social butterfly, he accepted the invitation because he wasn't sure how long he would actually be a Baron... plus Alasdair was rarely one to ever turn down a free meal. It helped that the Overlord and most of the other Barons were his friends, so he was quick to be set at ease during the lunch.

He added his own thoughts and opinions to conversations when asked, but rarely spoke up unless he was prodded into doing so. It was just his personality to remain quiet and listen and think rather than talk unprompted.

Alasdair gratefully accepted the gift basket full of books he hadn't read but had heard of. While it may be a while before he got to reading them, he was happy to have the reading material for any down time that might eventually come his way.
Eden Parker
RoH Admin
RoH Admin

Post by Eden Parker »

Eden was there --- like Alasdair, she never turned down a free meal of course, but also her relationship with Nat made her a pretty obvious RSVP YES.

She sat beside Nat, enjoying the meal and the company of her fellow barons, asking a lot of questions when she didn't understand something or wanted to know more about it. If anyone asked, she tried to reassure the others that the Dragon's Gate Dueling School was not harmed when Runt issued his challenge for another sport at the facility, but did say that the school administrators were considering expanding the security budget for the next school year.

At the end of the meal, she perused her gift basket with curiosity, suitably impressed by this Ozzian Wizard and his prolific writings.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

The meal was good and the company was enjoyable. Maggie was pleasantly surprised to find some of her favorite stories in the gift basket. She had once played the role of Dorothy at school and had an good understanding of the best known character. She made a note to gather up another of her favorites, "The Chronicles of Narnia," and deliver them to Nat later in the week. Reading had been her favorite pastime since she discovered books while sitting her mother's lap.
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan

Return to “The Arena”