2019 Winter Cycle Warlord Tournament

Notices and stories concerning events in the legendary basement of the Duel of Swords.

Moderator: Staff

PC
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

2019 Winter Cycle Warlord Tournament

Post by PC »

Attention, please!

The Warlord Tournament for end of the 2019 Winter Cycle will be held on March 31, 2019 at 9 PM (EST) in the Arena! This Cycle's prizes will include a Test Free Grant to Challenge the Overlord and a Test Free Barony Challenge Grant. There is no activity requirements to join the Warlord Tournament, as long as you are currently or have been in the past, a duelist of the Warlord Rank!

Seeding will be based off of the Cycle Rankings found in the Duel of Swords standings. Sign up below!
Nat Candle
Adventurer
Adventurer
Location: Presently: Tinderdale Pines, outside the Rhy'din City proper

Re: 2019 Winter Cycle Warlord Tournament

Post by Nat Candle »

Count me in!

-Nat
Ebon Ilnaren
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black Knight

Post by Ebon Ilnaren »

I'll sign up for this.

- Ebon Ilnaren
Capistrano
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Wolf Like Me

Post by Capistrano »

Here for my beating.

JJMC
Crew
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Post by JewellRavenlock »

Empress in
Penny Escobar
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Penny Escobar »

Signing up.

- Penny Escobar
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Post by Michelle Montoya »

I am entering the Warlord Tournament tonight.
PC
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PC »

Nat Candle wins the 2019 Winter Cycle Warlord Tournament! He's claiming the test-free Overlord challenge grant as his prize. Congratulations Nat!

Due to an unfortunate event, the prize of a test-free barons grant goes to Jewell Ravenlock who came in third place.* The Arena Staff pray that Jay Capistrano has a swift recovery.

(( *OOC: Jay's player out of character passed on the prize. With Jewell in third the prize would automatically go to her. ))

(( Historical Info

Seeding by Cycle Rankings

1. Candle
2. Michelle
3. Jewell
5. Penny
6. Capistrano

Fight 1

Bye: 1. Nat Candle

2. Michelle Montoya vs. 6. Jay Capistrano -- Capistrano def. Michelle Montoya, 5 - 4 in 10 rounds. - dos
3.Jewell Ravenlock vs. 5. Penny Escobar -- JewellRavenlock def. Penny Escobar, 5 - 4 in 9 rounds. - dos

Winners
1. Nat Candle
3. Jewell Ravenlock
6. Jay Capistrano

Losers
2. Michelle Montoya
5. Penny Escobar

--------------

Fight 2

Winners Bracket
Bye: 3. Jewell Ravenlock

1. Nat Candle vs. 6. Jay Capistrano -- Candle def. Capistrano, 5 - 4 in 9 rounds. - dos

Consolation Bracket

2. Michelle Montoya vs. 5. Penny Escobar -- Penny Escobar def. Michelle Montoya, 5.5 - 4.5 in 10 rounds. - dos

Winners

1. Nat Candle
3. Jewell Ravenlock

Losers

5. Penny Escobar
6. Jay Capistrano

--------------

Fight 3

Winners Bracket

1. Nat Candle vs. 3. Jewell Ravenlock -- Candle def. JewellRavenlock, 5 - 3 in 9 rounds. - dos

Consolation Bracket

5. Penny Escobar vs. 6. Jay Capistrano -- Capistrano def. Penny Escobar, 5 - 4 in 8 rounds. - dos

Winners

1. Candle

Losers

3. Jewell Ravenlock
6. Jay Capistrano

--------------

Fight 4

Winners Bracket

Bye: 1. Nat Candle

Consolation Bracket

3. Jewell Ravenlock vs. 6. Jay Capistrano -- Capistrano def. JewellRavenlock, 5.5 - 2 in 10 rounds. - dos

--------------

Fight 5

1. Nat Candle (Winners Bracket) vs. 6. Jay Capistrano (Consolation Bracket) -- Candle def. Capistrano, 5 - 3 in 7 rounds. - dos

Nat Candle wins the Warlord Tournament
))
JewellRavenlock
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
The Empress

Post by JewellRavenlock »

Congratulations Nat on your Warlord Tournament win! Well earned.

While I am very sorry to hear about the events in the Arena after my departure last night and reluctant to accept a prize earned through an unfortunate incident, I will take the baronial challenge grant.

Thank you!

The Empress
Capistrano
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
Wolf Like Me

Post by Capistrano »

Dear Wrecking Crew Fans and the Dueling Community at Large,

Wow, that’s a long greeting, huh? I guess when you’ve got a lot of people to thank, you gotta write a lot of words down. Anyways, I wanted to start by saying thank you for all the Tweeter posts, cards and letters, and voicemails you’ve left the Crew both congratulating me on becoming a father and wishing me a speedy recovery from the injury I suffered immediately following the Winter 2019 Warlord Tournament. Sami and I are greatly excited about the former. But as happy as we are for that, this letter’s more about the latter.

Some of you might remember that I left the Crew in 2015 to go back to school, and that when I graduated in 2017, I went to work for the Rhovnik Foundation instead of returning to dueling. You’re probably more likely to remember that I got seriously injured during my last deployment with them, and after taking some time to recover and reflect, and with my new family situation in mind, I decided to rejoin the Crew on a permanent basis.

After the Warlord Tournament, I re-injured the leg that I hurt on that deployment. We’re still waiting for test results to come back to confirm what we think the injury is, but the fact I hurt myself so quickly even after all the rehab I did -- and with a non-contact injury -- isn’t a good sign.

Some of you might remember seeing me duel with a hologram during the magical All Ranks Tournament, or against Anubis Karos during my recent Madness match. You might be wondering “Why not just use a hologram again?” Here’s the thing. The hologram for magic was just a way to participate in that without having any magical skills. The hologram for swords was an imperfect solution to thorny situations that sometimes came up in the duels. I don’t fight kids, and I don’t fight people who pose a threat to my livelihood. Sometimes, though, like if unexpected participants show up in the Warlord Tournament or you get lined up to fight someone like, say, Anubis in Madness, you don’t have a choice. Hence, the hologram. Generally speaking though, if I have a choice, I’d rather stick to the spirit of the duels, and fight them myself. WIth my leg screwed up, I can’t. And as much money as I’d make pressing a challenge even with a hologram, I respect the duels too much to water them down like that when there’s a choice. With that in mind -- and I’m not calling this retiring because who knows what the future holds and I reserve the right to change my mind -- I won’t be participating in future Madness or Warlord tournaments.

I’d like to especially thank Duel of Swords Assistant Coordinator Nat Candle, Penny Escobar, Patrick, and Cris for assisting me when I went down, picking me up, helping me get a hold of my wife, taking care of me until the paramedics came. Your aid in a time of extreme difficulty made it easier to deal with it. I’d also like to thank Michelle Montoya for getting ahold of Maria and the Crew, to Rachael Blackthorne for calling the paramedics to get me to the hospital, and to Duel of Swords Coordinator Na-Rae Takamine for handling a difficult and unforeseen situation with grace and kindness. And for everyone else watching, in person and on TV -- this’s gonna sound corny, I know, but I could feel all the positive vibes from you.

I’ve got a long road ahead of me, but I’ll still be doing as much as I can for the things I care about. You’ll still see me signing things at stores and at meet-and-greets, but more importantly, I’ll still be visiting hospitals and orphanages and helping out those who are less economically fortunate and whatever other activities I can do to raise money for the RhyDin Shield Association and any other charity working to make this city a better place.

Hopefully, I’ll see you in the rings soon.

Jay Capistrano
Crew

Return to “The Arena”