Get Real

Moderators: Gren Blockman, JewellRavenlock, Hope, Eden Parker

Jaycy Ashleana
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Sassiest

House Hunting

Post by Jaycy Ashleana »

“Why don’t we keep the house, permanently? Fix it up, make it a true home base for whenever someone needs a place to crash or office space or something. A place where we can have monthly movie nights?” Jaycy'd asked that question one night at a team meeting (okay, party) after Real Rhydin's 2020 IFL Championship run and been met with positive responses. Those reactions meant that she had a new mission; acquire the house for the team.

Her eyes shifted back and forth as they read the records on the screen, frowning lightly. The owner had made a lucrative business of renting the house to elites wanting a high-powered, high-status party palace for the weekend that they'd never have to clean up. The fees he'd commanded for Real Rhydin's latest occupancy were an indication of just how popular the location proved to be - and how difficult it would be for anyone to convince him to part with it. Hrm. Well, he was a gambler; both he and his wife were. They didn't seem to have a problem, per se... there were no rumors or otherwise hints of payments in arrears with any of the bookies in the City, so she couldn't follow that angle.

No vices, no legal troubles ... they were normal people.

The redhead allowed herself a sigh before picking up her cell phone and unlocking it, swiftly swiping for several moments before pressing buttons and lifting the contraption to her ear. Thirty seconds later she began the conversation.

"Aye, this is Jaycy Ashleana - may I speak to Dominic Castelya, please?"

"Aye, really." She chuckled.

"Hello! I wanted to call and ask if you wanted to meet for lunch? Aye, we met at one of the signings for dueler appreciation week; I do remember you! Hrm?"

"Oh... no, no, nothing like that. I wanted to talk to you about the house Real Rhydin stayed in during the season."

"No, I'm not claiming it for the City or anything! I know it's dear to you and I'd never do that." She suppressed the urge to roll her eyes - it was dear in the sense that it made him a lot of money...

"Aye, aye. I wanted to both thank you for letting us stay at your fine house and talk about opportunities to use it in the future." A pause. "... mayhap? I'm not sure yet!"

"Tomorrow? Aye! Have you been to Tilly's? Oh, they're wonderful. I know it's a small bit of drive across the city, but well worth it. I'll have a car pick you up if you like, since I'm the one proposing somewhere out in Seaside."

"Alright! I'll see you then."

The Next Day

Lunch had ... not gone as planned; she hadn't charmed the house from him. The woman frowned as she leaned back in her chair, gaze tracking the fading back as Dominic eased out of view from her table. Oh, they'd both been pleasant and gracious and complimentary of each other during the meal - he'd voted for her! she was impressed at how well the house was managed! - but he was shrewd enough to know the steady income was a far better investment than a lump sum they could accidentally fritter away if they had hands on one.

Normally, if it were for her and her alone, she'd move on. This house, however, had memories and had absorbed the team personality... it had a lineup of statues in the back yard, no less! (Ugh.) They'd peaked at the right time and had enjoyed the high of both the holidays and the title there. That - all they'd shared and loved at the house - ignited the Dragon's compulsion... possession. She needed that particular house for the team; nothing else would do.

Threatening him was out. First, he didn't deserve it. Second, she was Governor and on the squeaky-clean team. They were so wholesome. So, she had to behave. His wife, mayhap? Bribe her? That might work. She hadn't met Mrs. Castelya and her husband hadn't been forthcoming on information so Jaycy couldn't be sure if the woman could be bribed. Was there something she could offer him that would persuade him? Hadn't she read something about another permit in the works? Hrm...

Her fingers tapped onto the table, lazily, as she pondered.

The Day After That

"Mr. Castelya? Aye, this is Jaycy again. I know. I have a... game for you, though." She grinned. "... aye. Poker. Private game."

She'd piqued his interest.
Last edited by Jaycy Ashleana on Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaycy Ashleana
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Sassiest

Re: House Hunting

Post by Jaycy Ashleana »

"We both have 10,000 nobles; we play until one of us has it all. You win, you get the nobles and I never ask about the house again. I win, I get the house if we want it, you get your permit approved the day it closes and I'll hire the contractors to build the new structure but not pay for the materials. You in?" Jaycy offered him a slight smile; she knew the prospect of cutting through the red tape of permitting processes was a rather large carrot to dangle in front of him; he'd been waiting longer than several others because there had been neighbors objecting (baselessly, as it turned out, she'd researched and saw he was generally in the right) and trying to force him to give up his plans.

It only took him five minutes before he took the deck and began to shuffle. She grinned and leaned back, settling in.

Four hours later, she pulled the last dozen coins toward her pile, brows lifting with a little grin. "You're good, I have to say. Not surprised, and feeling lucky I managed to get the good draws." He chuffed a good-natured laugh and waved off the compliment. He hadn't had much to drink beyond water over the night, and he didn't clutch darkly at the cards during the rounds; he enjoyed the game but remembered it for what it was - a game. She approved.

"As a thank you for even agreeing, take this." She reversed the direction of those coins, sending the entire stack of nobles toward his direction. On the path back, one hand picked up the neatly-stacked deck of cards. She brought it in, green-gold eyes gleaming as she split the pack and tapped each half to the table before shuffling them together. Motes of rainbow light - perceptible only to magic-sensitives - absorbed once more into her body as she manipulated the cards and mixed them further.

The redhead had no regrets.

Return to “House Royal”