The Prodigal Daughter

The Brighter The Light, The Deeper The Shadow - Jay Kristoff

Moderators: Connar Valdor, Elessaria

Elessaria
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The Lady Fire of Evandar

Location: ~Heart Notes~ Parfumerie in the New Haven District, Her island bungalow at Arcassa

The Prodigal Daughter

Post by Elessaria »

PREPARATIONS

Elessaria began the morning well-rested thanks mostly to the few hours of dreamless sleep she caught snuggled up to Connar in an over-sized chair hearth side at The Perch. As soon as she crossed the threshold of her building, the elfess shifted into full gear. With a practiced eye, she checked over the work room and ascertained everything was prepared for her absence; however, before she ascended the staircase to her private quarters she underlined the final directive on the chalkboard where the various tasks were listed: The Third Floor Is OFF LIMITS In My Absence. Lyavain was at her side as she entered, the quiet padding of his large paws a faint backdrop to the internal dialogue which ran non-stop within her head since she had awoken. Eless headed to her bath, a magical retreat in the image of a natural cavern and hot water spring -- including a miniature waterfall-- in hopes of silencing the endless cycle of self-recrimination and soothing the rising trepidation. After adding a specific blend of mineral salts and essential oils, she undid her hair, placing the lovely new hair comb gently to the side, then shed her gown and stepped into the warm, welcoming water.

The Empath closed her eyes, but was unable to shut out the voices in her head. This was not the first time in recent months she had been informed she was most likely providing a disservice to the children instead of aiding them as she had hoped when she started this project several years ago. "Mayhaps, I should leave this to the professionals, Lyavain. I have nay any experience with children. I am nay an older sibling, an aunt nor cousin. I have failed as a mother...twice." The hurt evident in her tone, Eless continued with her eyes still shut, sinking down in the gentle currents until only her chin and up remained above the water, " I can nay bear seeing anyone suffer, but mayhaps I simply am too weak or too selfish because I do nay wish to feel their pain?" After dipping her head back, the elfess began to work on washing her hair. Connar had offered some advice and a different perspective; she valued his wisdom and knew he was right in so many ways; yet, she did not know yet how to implement some of his suggestions. "All I wanted to do was to reassure him of my strength and love... and I failed to manage even that tonight." She scrubbed her hair hard, annoyance keen in the little huffs she released while she bathed. Eless failed to find her usual joy in rinsing beneath her personal waterfall.

Grabbing a large, extra-fluffy towel to dry off, she did so and claimed a second in which to wrap her hair. While she sifted through the selection of gowns she had laid out prior, Eless continued her one-sided conversation with Lyavain. "Mayhaps, my time in RhyDin is over? Mayhaps I need to sever all ties or at least nay forge new ones until I determine how to protect them?" Her lupine guardian had no answers for her while she dressed and brushed out her knee-length locks. Once she finished weaving fresh freesia blossoms amidst the golden strands, the Lady Fire of Evandar placed the golden circlet of office upon her head, attempting to shift her scattered attention to focus on the tasks at hand and the imminent travel to her homeland, which also entailed her facing the site of her last capture and the extensive torture she had endured from Calonderial during her captivity. Not only were Eless' thoughts careening all about, her emotions were as well; dwelling on the present, the immediate future and/or the past was not appealing in the least.

During her extensive research into the history of Evandar in an attempt to find answers for the nightmares which repeatedly reopened both her emotional and physical scars, Elessaria learned more about a ritual binding her to Evandar which should normally take place once a century. Since Evandar was attacked on her one hundredth birthday, she did not know if it had ever been completed or even begun. The gaps in her memory were not caused by a long life, but from spells gone awry when mixed with her gifts in an attempt to protect her. Eless moved about her second floor room, gathering supplies, listening to the faintest of whispers which seemed to guide her with her selections. When her path was diverted, Lyavain gently nudged her back on track. "Where would I even go?" she continued her ramblings. "I can nay return to Madin'at Al-Yasmen. I can nay follow Connar. Mayhaps I should stay in Evandar? I need to find some place where I can stop hurting those I hold dear." The diminutive magess was not expecting a response, but hope was at the front of the plaintive gaze she had turned to the massive wolf. She added a multi-wick candle to the pile she was accumulating. As she fetched an ornate silver tray on which she arrayed the various implements for the ritual in addition to the customary floral arrangements she had always brought when she paid her respects to her parents, Eless noted daylight had faded and dusk arrived, birthing long shadows.
And then one day,
One magic day he passed my way.
And while we spoke of many things,
Fools and kings,
This he said to me,
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return"
-Ahbez Eden
Elessaria
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The Lady Fire of Evandar

Location: ~Heart Notes~ Parfumerie in the New Haven District, Her island bungalow at Arcassa

The Prodigal Daughter: Preparations (Cont.)

Post by Elessaria »

PREPARATIONS (Cont.)

It was just before dawn when Elessaria and Lyavain climbed the staircase to the third floor. It was a long salle with highly polished wooden floors. During daylight, light streamed through four skylights in the high ceiling and the floor-to-ceiling windows along the length of the outside wall. However, it was still dark and the shadows were multiplied by the stretch of mirrors that occupied the entire inside wall. The pair passed the heavy sandbag, her rapier, Wrath, and some wooden practice swords. At the far end was a free-standing mirror: the semi-permanent portal she had crafted as the sole access to Evandar. It was taller than the Empath and the reflective glass was surrounded by elaborately carved wood; if one were sensitive to certain magicks, it might even seem almost alive. With the tray balanced on one silk-clad hip, Eless stepped out of the pair of heels and a soft chuckle escaped. "There doth go my fierce defiance, Lyavain." Her smile faded a touch, but tenderness replaced the brief moment of mirth. A blue flame formed as she traced her fingertip along the top of the mirror; when she lowered her trembling hand "Merci. Je t'aime toujours, mon coeur." was etched on the surface in her distinct, elegant script. "Ready?" she asked Lyavain as she dropped her small hand to his withers.

The pair stepped forward with a clunk as the tray tipped forward, setting the contents askew. The bouquet of gardenias passed through the portal as did a couple of other items, the rest fell to the floor with a resounding clatter along with the tray. "What in the nine circles of Hades!?!" Elessaria exlaimed in shock. She pressed a palm urgently to the smooth surface, but it would not pass. Her brow knit in confusion and she murmured an incantation to permit the pair passage. Once more the magess and her companion were denied. "Nay! This can nay be happening!" All of her distracted thoughts and surging emotions focused sharply on the portal with a stream of colourful invectives from a long-dead elven dialect. Lyavain looked from the mirror to his mistress and back again to their reflection. Eless hefted the large candle and tossed it at the unforgiving surface. It sailed through freely, adding insult to injury.

No matter how many spells The Lady Fire of Evandar invoked, they were denied passage to her homeland. Eless sank to her knees as exhaustion, confusion and frustration overwhelmed her petite form. "Nay...nay...nay..." she cried out, her heart breaking. She had finally mustered the courage to face one of her greatest fears only to have that torn from her tenuous grasp. As his mistress lost control of the tidal wave of emotions, the mirrors lining the wall began to fracture, then explode from the farthest to the closet. A razor sharp burst of shimmering shards formed a whirling dervish of tangible pain, slicing everyone and everything in its path as it tore along the warded third floor. Lyavain, unable to diminish the power of her despair nor negate her magic, simply covered her tiny form to shield her from the worst of the damage.

Eventually Eless' shrieks of pain, turned to sobs which then turned to exhausted whimpers; the emotional storm faded as her resources were drained. Thankfully the wards for the third floor remained intact, but there was going to be a steep bill for cleaning and repairing the damage. She sat up slowly and wiped the blood and tears from her cheeks, blankly glancing about their surroundings. Exhaustion muddled her thoughts and so she relied on Lyavain to guide them safely past the debris. She would hide out in her private bungalow at Aracasa until her presence was required at Beltane.

Added to the chalkboard: "Only The Repair Crew Is Allowed On The Third Floor."
And then one day,
One magic day he passed my way.
And while we spoke of many things,
Fools and kings,
This he said to me,
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return"
-Ahbez Eden

Return to “Shelter Amid The Storms”