Strengths, Weaknesses & Desires

The Brighter The Light, The Deeper The Shadow - Jay Kristoff

Moderators: Connar Valdor, Elessaria

Elessaria
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The Lady Fire of Evandar

Location: ~Heart Notes~ Parfumerie in the New Haven District, Her island bungalow at Arcassa

Strengths, Weaknesses & Desires

Post by Elessaria »

{7 Jan 15}
Greatest Desires

Elessaria reveled in the quiet and peacefulness of her apartments after the first holiday crush; her respite would be brief since the saint's holiday would be celebrated in about a month and the demand for her custom couture fragrances would spike once more. The petite empath was exhausted (which was somewhat normal for her at this time of year), and even a bit lonely, but she had plenty of time to sift through all of the emotions in an attempt to regain better control over them. She sank into the grotto-like bath she had created when first had moved above the parfumerie and let the heat of the lightly fragranced water soak away any aches and cares that plagued her. The candlelight flickered soothingly, casting shadows in the stone carved ledges and sparkling when reflected off the various crystal and glass containers filling the room. After she shampooed her knee length locks, Eless scooted beneath the miniature waterfall and rinsed away the last of her cares along with the scented bubbles.

The elfess ran slender fingers through her hair as she shifted to perch on one of the underwater ledges, with her eyes closed, letting her thoughts float freely. Eventually they drifted back to what had happened at Calonderial's hands in Evandar. Eless could recollect more than she wished at times, but she had lapsed in and out of consciousness so many times it was often difficult for her to determine what had actually happened. She opened her eyes and traced the faint silvery scars that still encircled her delicate wrists and ankles, then she lifted them and lightly ran them along the newer scar that marred the alabaster skin of her slender neck. How had she escaped that cursed collar? Her normally smooth brow furrowed as she struggled to remember… a kiss? Calonderial kissed her before he freed her! She abruptly sat up as she recalled his whisper, "With this kiss, I gift thee thy greatest desire!"
"My greatest desire!! That son of a**!"

She hopped out of the tub and grabbed a towel, loosely wrapping up her drenched hair. She slipped into a sapphire silk robe while releasing a stream of colorful invectives in a variety of languages-- some long extinct, some learned during her residence in RhyDin. Elessaria stomped down the steps, leaving a trail of freesia scented droplets in her wake, and opened the adjoining door to the building next to hers which Rena had purchased and was renovating for her own shoppe. Still livid, the diminutive elf found the nearest sledge hammer and stormed over to one of the walls marked with a large "X" (at least as best as she could stomp and storm with limbs a bit limp from the languid heat of her bath and the frightening realization).

"Of all the low down!"

WHACK!!!

"I will nay be his!!!"

WHACK!!!

WHACK!!!

SLAM!!!
And then one day,
One magic day he passed my way.
And while we spoke of many things,
Fools and kings,
This he said to me,
"The greatest thing you'll ever learn
Is just to love and be loved in return"
-Ahbez Eden
Elessaria
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The Lady Fire of Evandar

Location: ~Heart Notes~ Parfumerie in the New Haven District, Her island bungalow at Arcassa

Desires- The Wait

Post by Elessaria »

{15 Feb 15}
DESIRES: The Wait

It wouldn't do to pretend that Eva's clinic was located on some sort of pretty little street. In fact it was right in the heart of the WestEnd, on a narrow street, shoulder to shoulder with some derelict buildings, across the street from a Wand-o-Wash. But that only made the clinic stand out more, with its clean windows, and clear sign reading "WestEnd Med." It was not much more than a store front, with a waiting area right up front and a secretarial area from which a hallway could be seen stretching towards the back with exam rooms on either side. A table to one side of the waiting area contained a pile of apples and bananas, as well as a canister of hot coffee with to-go cups. The occasional but steady opening and closing of the front door suggested that the word was out about the stash Eva kept there. But that morning, Eva was waiting at the front counter, wanting to spare her friend too much waiting time, and anticipating her appointment time.

Eless was dressed in simple jeans, sweater and plain wool cloak in an attempt not to draw so much attention as well as in hopes of reducing the discomfort any other waiting patients might have felt--a lifetime habit when one is an empath. Her already uncooperative tummy and nerves had made breakfast unappealing, so she arrived a few minutes earlier than she had promised Eva. She paused outside the door with a smile coming to her lips. She was very proud of Eva and how hard she had worked to get this far. The fact she helped so many people who otherwise would not receive any help made it all the better in her eyes. The petite elfess ducked inside the door during one of its swings open, eyes of blue flame searching the waiting area.

Eva pushed up from her lean at the front desk and smiled at the sight of her friend. She was dressed casually herself, but for the white lab coat that she wore. The lab coat, she had found, gave her authority in the clinic which she occasionally needed for unruly patients. She moved to meet Eless when she saw her slip in the door. "Eless. Good morning." She tipped her head towards the hall, indicating she should follow her, "Let's sit down for a minute."

"Good morning!" she greeted cheerfully in spite of the nerves that continued to turn somersaults in her empty belly which gurgled in protest. "That doth sound like a good idea," replied the petite elfess who was following her friend readily. She needed someone to take charge in her emotional chaos and confusion.

"Can I get you something to drink? Water? Coffee?" Eva offered as she opened a door near the front on the right hand side and held it for Eless to step inside. It wasn't an exam room, it was an office. The walls were a calm, cool gray, with some pleasant looking landscape scenes hanging on the wall facing the visitors' chairs. The furniture was inexpensive, probably used. Eva shut the door behind them to give them some privacy. And then she immediately turned for her friend, reaching out, her words quiet in offering a gentle hug for her friend. "Come here."

As soon as the door closed, Eless responded to outstretched arms and embraced Eva fiercely. There were faint, dusky crescents shadowing beneath the Empath's eyes and anyone who knew her well could see she had dropped a couple of kilos even on her slight frame. "Oh, thank heavens thou art here, Eva," the weight of her burden still evident in her hushed tones.

"Always," she held her securely but gently, then finally let go. Eva gestured towards a chair. "Let's talk for a few minutes, okay?"

Relief washed over the smaller woman and she sat down in the chair pointed out, finally taking a moment to glance around the place where Eva spent so many of her days and probably nights too. "Aye, 'twould be wise." Her smile returned as she got settled into the seat.

Off to the side there was some sort of computer unit, but it was powered down or asleep, and kept discretely away. Eva settled across from her, "before we go further, I just want you to know that everything you say to me today is completely confidential. I won't repeat it to anyone, not even Mason, under any circumstances unless absolutely necessary for your health and safety, okay?"

Eless nodded when Eva reassured her about confidentiality. Even if her friend were not a doctor, she knew Eva would never betray her confidence. "Deal."

It was Eva's turn to nod, then she drew in a breath while watching her. "Let's talk as friends for a minute first, and then I'll be your doctor, okay?" She lowered her voice a bit, "tell me what's going on, Eless."

Normally she had been reluctant to share any details of what had happened during her absence, but Eva put the Empath at ease. "When I was away for so long? I had been captured. She began to pick at the hem of the cobalt blue sweater she had worn to ward of the winter's chill. I was held against my will. Tortured by a dark demon, elf, demi-god mix. I have healed from most of the physical torture, but the mental and emotional?" Eless shrugged a single shoulder before she continued, "That hath taken longer as hath my magic, but I believe my magic is nay gone. Tis as if 'tis being stolen in a way."

Eva listened, quiet. Her jaw tightened for a moment. Eless could surely feel the part of Eva that wanted to lash out in anger, that anyone would dare hurt her friend, that anyone would dare hurt someone as kind and loving as Eless. But the feeling was there for just that moment, and then gone as Eva exhaled, replaced with deep concern. "And you think your magic is being stolen away by... " Eva trailed for a second, "by something I might be able to help you with?"

Eless nodded once again. "Aye, methinks a baby. She stared at the toes of her ankle boots, tiny hands wringing in her lap and she finally dared to lift her gaze to Eva. She whispered, "'Tis nay Luke's."

Eva looked at Eless, and then she nodded slowly. She wasn't sure why she hadn't thought of it. It was obvious, of course. A baby. She drew in a breath. Another flare and pop of anger, then brought under control again as she exhaled. "The dark demon?" she asked quietly.

Eless' reply was barely above a whisper, "Aye, because Luke and I were nay intimate after my return." The blush that touched her paler than usual features was faint. She continued, "I can somewhat remember waking to hear Calonderial tell me he would gift me my greatest desire." Her brow furrowed as she attempted to recall what had transpired.

She frowned deeply, eyes looking down at her desk, so filled with worry and pain for her friend. She sat there a moment. Then she tried something she had never tried before. She breathed deep. She looked up at Eless. And she filled herself with love. She concentrated on all of the love and friendship and gratitude that she had ever felt towards Eless, and she filled herself with it, letting it warm her chest, letting it hum through her from her toes to the tips of her fingers, hoping that maybe if she filled herself up enough, it could blanket Eless too.

Eless' brow smoothed and her expression gentled when she sensed the love and comfort that radiated from her friend, "Thank thee." She stopped her hand wringing and met Eva's gaze unflinchingly adding, "Once I realized my magic had indeed returned and instead was being siphoned away, I had my suspicions. I never thought I could become pregnant after my miscarriage so many years ago as well as for other reasons."

Eva nodded slowly, "Well, let's see what we can find out today, alright? Then she quieted a bit, "Let's get some answers at least."

"Aye, and then we shall know how to proceed after that."

Eva nodded in agreement. Then she smiled a little, "Alright, you're gonna get the doctor now, okay?" She reached out and dragged a pad of paper towards her and a pen so she could take notes, but she waited for Eless' agreement before beginning her questions.

The elfess chuckled softly, a verbal sign of her agreement that joined another head nod, "Ready."

Eva smiled a little reassuring smile, and then she began. She asked the questions gently, but straight forward, taking notes of the answers on her pad of paper. When was her last menstrual cycle? Was her cycle typically regular? What was the cause of her prior miscarriage? Had she had any other pregnancies? What symptoms had she been feeling? Nausea? Loss of appetite? Fatigue?Anything else that she felt Eva should know?

After Eless answered all of the standard questions with their not-so-standard replies she added, "I do nay know if this doth help since thou art a non-mage user, but I do nay respond well to magical healing, but I do nay think that hath any import really with thee." Eva nodded and wrote it down anyhow, but then she reassured her, "That's a last resort for someone like me. Then she shifted to her feet. I'd like to do a physical exam now. I'm going to be drawing some blood to test for the pregnancy, but I'd also like to give you an overall health check if that's alright with you?"

"Oh, a health check is fine," She nodded docilely and then put on the brakes when the rest of Dr. Eva's statement sunk in. Draw blood?

Eva raised a brow, standing at the door to her office but not opening it yet. "Yes. Is that a problem?"

"Ummm...nay... I do nay believe so." Eless blinked a few times and drew a deep breath to fortify herself. "The only times I have had blood taken from me hath usually nay be voluntary," she explained with a faint, wry chuckle.

"I'll be gentle, I promise." She reached a hand to gently rest on Eless' shoulder. Then she opened the door and led her across the way towards an exam room.

She followed her friend to the exam room with another blush touching her cheeks from her cowardice. "I know thou wilt be." And she would not look! Eless swore silently!

Eva opened a drawer and drew out a short (for most people) thin cotton robe and set it on the table. She explained quietly that Eless should remove her clothes and change into the robe. She gave her a place for her clothes, and then promised to come back in a few minutes. Then she left her, back out of the room to give Eless some privacy to change her clothes.

Speed changing was a skill for the diminutive elfess; thus, Eless was into the robe with her clothes neatly folded probably before Eva even had gone five feet from the door. She perched on the edge of the table with her feet swinging in the air as she looked around at the foreign surroundings. "Hmmm..."

Eva turned to shut the door behind herself, and then saw Eless waiting already changed. She chuckled softly, then stepped back in and shut the door behind herself. She washed her hands, then did the physical exam. It was pretty typical, with Eva taking her measurements, height and weight, checking her pulse, her blood pressure, her reflexes, making her little notes all along. When she touched Eless, she was gentle but clinical and professional, her role as doctor coming clearly and easily to her. And every step of the way, she explained what she was doing so Eless wouldn't be taken by surprise by anything. "Have you ever had your blood drawn by someone like me before?"

Both Eva's confidence and competence was easily sensed by the Empath who relaxed during the exam, answering when needed. She then shook her head when Eva asked about the blood drawing. "Nay, I have not ever had my blood taken by a healer. Is it like a vaccination? I was accidentally, well purposefully by some, vaccinated when that fever went through RhyDin." Eless frowned deeply at the unpleasant memory.

Eva nodded as she arranged the things she needed "Most likely, yes, I'm going to use a needle like that. I'll use the crook of your arm. You will feel a prick but it will be over fast." Then as an after -thought she added, "and you don't have to look." When she thought Eless was comfortable enough with the idea of it, she set up her tray, then gestured for Eless to look to her right while Eva positioned herself at her left arm. Again, Eva narrated as she tied the rubber tie around her upper left arm, then gave her a rubber ball to squeeze. Then she made small-talk to distract her. "Mason and I saw Lirssa at the Inn the other night."

"Lil Bit? Really!?!" Eless squeezed the ball as directed and silently chided herself for being nervous. Really, after all she had been through a little needle and blood taken would scare her? But it was more the unfamiliar than any thought of pain that had made her nervous. "Oh, by the heavens!? It hath been forever since I have seen her!"

"She's a young woman now. To be honest, I almost didn't recognize her." The little prick could not be avoided, but Eva was quick with it as promised, gently taking the ball from her hand, then releasing the tie to get what she needed.

"I can only imagine!" The distraction worked and the prick was hardly noticeable. She looked at Eva, "Didst thou tell her thou and Mason wert wed?"

"We did." Eva smiled as she finished, pressing a cotton ball to the spot, then leaving Eless with a little bit of gauze taped over the site. "You'll be able to remove this before you leave here," she explained quietly. She peeled off her gloves, and then smiled at Eless. "She teased us for waiting so long." Eva moved the tray with the tube of blood aside, and then looked at her friend. "I'm going to go check these out.It will just be a few minutes, and then we'll know. Okay?"

"Of course she would have to tease over that!" She grinned and tried not to pick at the little bit of gauze and tape. "Aye, the sooner we know the better." The next few minutes would be some of the longest in the Empath's life.

((Adapted from Live RP w/the amaaazing player behind Eva!))
And then one day,
Fools and kings,
This he said to me,
-Ahbez Eden
Elessaria
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The Lady Fire of Evandar

WEAKNESSES: Risks

Post by Elessaria »

{21 Feb 15}

Elessaria's thoughts were swirling even faster than her emotions after hearing the results of the bloodwork confirmed her pregnancy. The petite elfess and Eva, after much discussion, determined it was too early for additional testing to discover how far along the pregnancy might actually be. Eless had never had a menstrual cycle after her miscarriage immediately following the death of her husband Hans so many years ago. The unusual way Calonderial impregnated her also made it difficult to narrow it down. While he had not raped her in the traditional way, he had still violated her. However, the symptoms Elessaria currently displayed, led both the doctor and patient to conclude she was still in the very early stages. Eless and Eva next discussed at length the risks of this pregnancy-not solely because of the prior miscarriage (from which she had nearly died)-but also because her physiology was not typical of an elven female. For over a quarter of a century, the Empath had lived morphed into a human form, with no recollection of her true identity nor gifts, due to a feeble attempt by supposed Elven Adepts to protect the Lady Fire of Evandar. This transformation had many lingering side effects that were not limited to her physical appearance and physiology; yet, her body did not follow a normal human nor even human/elven mix. When one added in the father was a combination of demon, demi-god and elf, there were many unknowns to factor in.

Before Eva sent Eless off with a tight hug and soft words of encouragement, she remained a doctor who advised her rapidly thinning patient to try to work past the all day sickness by eating small, frequent, yet bland meals and to make certain to remain hydrated. Eva also pressed a bottle of pre-natal vitamins in the smaller woman's hand. All of the information was overwhelming for The Empath; however, Eva's professional manner, skill and confidence did much to set Eless at ease. As she left the clinic, the elfess stopped just outside of the door to draw a few deep breaths of the cold air. The clinic had felt suddenly hot and stuff after the news. She hadn't mentioned to Eva the other factors that increased the risk of this pregnancy and she wasn't sure if or when she would. Eless knew Eva was very concerned, but she didn't want to burden her friend with non-human medical problems she might not be able to do anything about. Yet, her doctor friend was highly intelligent, knew Eless very well and therefore, she suspected Eva had a good idea of what Eless faced. The baby was already siphoning away the elfess' mana at levels which left her continuously bordering on exhaustion. The more mana Eless tried to draw to increase her own strength, the more it drained away from her. In addition, the baby responded to the presence of Darkness; she had felt this several times already when at the Inn. Then Calonderial was always an unknown and unpredictable factor which needed to be considered.

When Elessaria's mind started to clear after about the third deep breath, she caught a faint whiff of the tell-tale scent of cloves and rare spices, which simultaneously sent a shiver plunging down her spine and set her temper to flare. The blue flames blazed brilliantly in the gaze she cast up and down the road in search of her tormentor. There was no sign of his presence anymore; so, angrily the diminutive elfess began to storm her way home, her path taking her through some of the sketchier areas of West End. However, the heat of the emotions radiating from Eless could even be sensed by the predators who lurked in the shadows and despite her fragile appearance, even they decided she would not be easy prey. One rather hulking, somewhat staggering figure fell in behind the elfess, stalking The Empath down a narrow, garbage filled alleyway. Apparently he was too high to sense the danger emanating from her, and was looking to score some easy money to continue to maintain that high. Eless' senses were on high alert due to her fear of Calonderial being near, she spun just as the ham sized fist grabbed for her shoulder. Stepping back out of reach with her palm outstretched, facing her attacker, The Empath released all of those surging emotions in a burst of power that sent the huge man flying in an arc which ended in a hard crash into a dumpster a few meters away.

Eless dusted her palms off, shrugged her shoulders and then turned to resume her way home, muttering, "Twas even better than smashing a wall."
And then one day,
Fools and kings,
This he said to me,
-Ahbez Eden
Elessaria
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The Lady Fire of Evandar

Blood & Threats

Post by Elessaria »

{16 March 15}

Elessaria was up early in spite of the late night after walking the runway for this year's Fashion Week Kick Off. Balanced precariously on a step stool, the petite empath was doing some last minute arranging of some new perfume bottles on a high shelf before she reopened ~Heart Notes~ this afternoon. She wanted to ensure the cut crystal caught the sunlight at the perfect angle and she tilted her head first to the left, then to the right. Suddenly she heard King John announce the arrival of someone in the rear courtyard which caused Eless to chuckle softly. It was near to lunchtime and Tom, Mason's assistant, always brought her a special boxed lunch as promised. He and King John had developed a game after the poor man had been accosted by the greedy bird on his first few visits; so, Tom learned to keep a stash of fresh greens handy to indulge both the peacock and his mate, Cleopatra. When King John's usual squawk turned into a scream of pain, Eless, startled by the change in his cry, whirled around, knocking a delicate bottle which she reflexively reached to grasp. The small decanter shattered as it glanced off the shelf's edge, scattering sharp shards of glass everywhere--including the palm of her hand.
Heedless of the blood and the painful, piercing slivers of glass, the diminutive elfess hopped from the stool and raced to the backyard as the peacock's cries of pain grew louder. When she pushed open the door, she saw Calonderial holding her beloved pet by one wing with a feral grin twisting his sinister visage. "STOP!"she commanded, instinctively drawing upon her mana and releasing a ball of blue flame. The dark mage was prepared for her attack which bounced harmlessly off his shielding; yet, her rather pathetic attack had left Eless weakened and gasping for breath. The baby had felt the surge of mana and sucked it away greedily before she could bring it to full strength, taking not only what mana the magess had gathered, but it had robbed even more from her life essence. Before she could blink tear-filled eyes, Eless felt the cold brick against her back and Calonderial's hands pinning her shoulders to the wall, one knee wedged between her thighs. His eyes had turned the deepest black she had ever seen them, the pupils no longer visible, and the glint within them was both malevolent and smug.

"Elessaria, I see my child doth possess thy gift,"he remarked after noting the theft of her mana. "This doth please me greatly," he spoke more gently, releasing one shoulder to caress her tear-stained cheek. Then his gaze hardened once more, his voice a near hiss, "Thou dost need to ensure naught doth happen to this child and 'tis brought safely to term, Elessaria. For if aught doth happen, I shall make thee pay the price." Calonderial continued his threat, "A life for a life as 'tis said. Mayhaps I will have thee watch as I kill thy precious love or mayhaps I will start with thy pretty doctor friend. It doth nay matter to me with whom I start, only that thou dost learn to obey me."

The demon hybrid shifted his position slightly and easily encircled the slender column of her throat with his long fingers, squeezing tightly to cut off any retort the Empath might have. With his other hand, he reached down to her mid-section, obsidian nails deftly slicing through the thin silk of her pale ivory gown and the shift beneath it, with only one side of the fabric left clinging barely on her hipbone. He splayed his hand over her abdomen as if her were a loving, expectant father but there was no love in either his icy touch or his gaze and Eless froze, eyes squeezed tightly shut as her skin crawled and the emotions began to whirl, threatening to drown her. She managed to squeak out a whisper despite his grip on her throat, "Please?please stop. The baby!"

The touch confirmed to Calonderial what he had hoped and believed, it possessed Elessaria' spellfire. What other gifts would manifest would only be known in time. He nodded with his hand still stroking over the bare skin of her stomach, a few of the silvery scars from her prior torture from his visible, and added, "Aye, the baby. And after I take the life of one dear to thee, I shall keep thee with me where I can make certain our child is safe, Elessaria. I will keep doing so until we have a child who doth share both of our gifts and thou mayest nay like the more traditional manner in which I gift thee with my child. Although, 'twould please me greatly to show thee pleasures of the flesh thou hast never even imagined." It was then he chose to notice the blood seeping from her palm which he then lifted to his lips and slowly ran his tongue over the wound, cauterizing it. Eless moaned in pain as his saliva burned like acid on her sensitive skin and when she could finally breathe again, Calonderial was gone.
And then one day,
Fools and kings,
This he said to me,
-Ahbez Eden
Elessaria
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The Lady Fire of Evandar

Compromise

Post by Elessaria »

{ 22 Jan 2016}

Dawn had not even awoken, painting the sky in soft pastels on the cold morning. A few snow flurries danced outside the windows of Elessaria's apartment above her parfumerie. She slipped on a semi-warm gown (at least for her) of silk before descending the back stairs to the work room. She wanted to ensure a nice warm breakfast was ready before she sent her delivery boys and girls out into the brisk weather. She was eternally grateful for Lirssa and Kendall for introducing her to the "street rats" as they were often termed. No matter what the denizens of RhyDin may call them, she called them "friend". The "fog orbs" as she called the magical stones Tasha had gifted the Empath were set on the crowded table next to the morning's orders. Around lunch, they would return and some would stay to deliver the afternoon's orders while others went home and tended to their families' needs.
Eless began to prepare a pot of hot chocolate as well as some tea for herself, sitting in a winged backed chair by the small hearth and enjoying the morning solitude before the hectic day began. She frowned slightly. Was that a subtle flutter she felt in her lower abdomen. When the sensation repeated, there was no doubt. The parfumeuse did not have time to deal with a little (or large tantrum) from the unborn child she still carried and a frown turned down the corners of her soft lips. "Absolutely nay," she chided gently which only led to him siphoning some of her gift from her.

"Ah-ah-ah!" The frustrated elfess scolded more firmly. "Listen, child," Eless sighed heavily. "We have about a year left of this and if thou dost drain me completely then thou shalt nay have a womb in which to grow. So, we must agree to share this body." She placed a hand lightly over the slight swelling, amazed in spite of her mixed emotions about carrying this child. There was another short frenzy of activity and a yank at her magical gifts, followed by a rather audible sigh. "Tis enough, thank thee," she admonished him. "I do nay care who thy father may be, but thou shalt learn some manners. Now is a good of a start as any."

Elessaria clamped down her gifts, rose from her chair and began the day's work while the unborn child settled into the morning's rhythm.
And then one day,
Fools and kings,
This he said to me,
-Ahbez Eden
Elessaria
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The Lady Fire of Evandar

The Battle For The Baby

Post by Elessaria »

{Jan. 22, 2016}
Elessaria had finished this morning's pile of orders for custom fragrances before dawn and was working on the intricate carving of a delicately scented soap. She had not slept especially well ensconced in the arms of the winged back chair in the Inn last night; however, exhaustion had taken over and she had eventually fallen into a nightmare filled, restless sleep. Drifting on a high tide of conflicting emotions and tumultuous thoughts, Eless worked carefully as the small squares of white began to take on the shape of rosebuds. In her opinion, the thought was far from original, but it was an order for Valentine's Day and thus, she worked to please her newest client. On the last of the half dozen floral shaped soaps, Eless nicked her hand. The sudden sting brought her out of her silent reverie and she dabbed at the small wound with a clean cloth she kept handy for such mishaps. She felt suffocated in her normally cheery work room and grabbing a heavy cloak (one "borrowed" from Connar), along with a head of fresh, tender lettuce, The Empath ventured out into the rear courtyard to visit with her peafowl. A half smile formed her lips as both King John and Cleo abandoned their warm little abode for the special treat which they gobbled voraciously.

Still restless, Elessaria sighed loudly, a plume of mist ascending in the cold winter air. Her mood was not conducive to the massive amount of work she had with the impending holiday; yet, if she attempted to remain to work, it would certainly interfere with her concentration and ability to accomplish her craft to the high standards for which she was known. Her tiny feet tread lightly over the crust of light snow as she departed New Haven and headed for the outskirts of RhyDin proper. Her body simply took over as her mind churned away, thinking over her conversation with Connar last night. The diminuitive elfess knew how difficult it was for him to see her enslaved in such a way. She did not need empathy for that; it was evident in his eyes and the love therein. He was right. She was Calonderial's slave, but she still did not know how to bring this unborn child to the Light. Already, he was much more akin to his father than her and it took most of her strength to keep him under control. Eless also knew for certain that Connar would not hesitate to call upon her friends to assist her and they would, even if he did not ask. However, on this one point she refused to budge. She would never allow another to die for her ever--at least if had any control in the matter. The Lady Fire bore the heavy burden of that guilt in such a way it was impossible to shed. She had been graced (or cursed, depending on how she felt on a particular day) with her rare gifts to defend others and not the other way around.

Her steps eventually had led her to the ruins of Asheby Manor where pink and dove gray marble peeked out from the recent dusting of snow. While she did not particularly enjoy the frigid weather, the sting of the cold air upon exposed skin not only reminded Elessaria she was alive, but it kept her alert and on guard. The untrained magess could feel the tingle of the mana which flowed bountifully beneath the ruins and once more she sighed heavily. All of that power, yet none of the skill. Chilled, delicate fingers raked through her knee-length tresses. Few, if any, knew the extent of her gifts; she kept it that way because it only tended to attract those who served The Dark. Since they hadn't appeared in over five millennia, there was no one left in Evandar to train her. Now there was nobody left in Evandar at all, not even any books or scrolls from which she could attempt to learn. She could draw mana from any source and with her empathic gifts, she could even draw from emotions; yet, unlike most in RhyDin, the use of her gifts came at a very high, personal cost. Most, however, knew Eless as only an extremely powerful empath and even fewer remembered her as a talented healer.

It wasn't a noise that dragged the elfess from her swirling thoughts, but instead an unfamiliar yet friendly aura. Elessaria raised her head to scan the edge of the fir trees on the outskirts of the ruins. There it was! A massive wolf whose fur was even more pristine than freshly fallen snow. The giant creature padded silently over to her, and if she had thought Nuage was huge, this beast was enormous by comparison. Unbidden tears began to spill down her cheeks as she fell to her knees next to the beast. Perhaps her god had not abandoned her as she had thought. Whether the lupine's arrival boded well or signaled danger, she did not care at the moment. Fearlessly, Eless wrapped her arms about its muscular neck, burying her face in the thick fur and listened with her heart. "Lyavain," she whispered against his soft ear. "I am Elessaria, but methinks thou dost know this already. Thank thee for coming to me and gifting me with thy name."

Their introductions did not last. The telltale scent of clove and rare elven spices reached both her and the wolf's sensitive noses. Thunder rumbled and snow swirled when Calonderial appeared in the midst of the ruins. "Give me the child, Elessaria." Lyavain released a threatening growl, but her tiny hand stayed her new protector.

"Calonderial, I am beginning to believe thou art a bit addled in thy head. How many times must I tell thee nay?"

This time the growl was demonic, accompanied by a hiss of anger and then the small army of lesser demons became visible as they gathered around Calonderial. They would fight for the demi-god without question. Elessaria shifted her slight weight from one foot to the other, tense. The odds were definitely against the guardian wolf and his mistress, and it certainly did not help the elfess that the unborn child roiled painfully in her womb.

There was no verbal repartee as in the past. As Calonderial raised his leather arm, the demons ran towards the pair and Elessaria was no longer able to restrain Lyavain. The huge wolf vaulted over a fallen column, easily tore out the throat from the leading attacker and was on to the next before the first body dropped. With the demons occupied by her fighting partner, the Empath could concentrate on Calonderial. She circled him warily, her thumb spinning the silver band upon her heart finger. "Afraid of me without my wearing one of thy magical collars?" She baited her tormenter of centuries while she used her empathy instead of her magic to probe for any weaknesses in his magical shielding. "Oh, how the tales of thine impotence will fill the halls and the shadows of the realms of Darkness."

With each word, Elessaria subtly pulled on the wealth of mana surged beneath the two opponents. It responded to their presence as if it were a living creature. Only a twitch of a brow gave her enough warning to toss up a shield to absorb the incoming assault Calonderial levied at her. Blow after blow hammered against her shield and while the petite Empath was pushed slowly backward with the onslaught, her shielding remained intact albeit thinner than at the onset. The sky above the impromptu battleground turned even darker than night with lightning and thunder cracking across the murderous sky. The average citizen would assume a storm was brewing, while those who were sensitive to magics would know something powerful and dangerous was amiss. Those close to the Empath would sense even more. Eless felt something cold and hard at the back of her knees when she could no longer retreat--the gravestone for her unborn baby, Angel. It was that painful memory that rallied the young elfess. Each time Calonderial launched another brutal attack, the Lady Fire of Evandar called upon her gifts and drained each powerful spell dry so it dissipated harmlessly before it even reached her now threadbare shields. Fury filled Calonderial causing him to shed the hauntingly handsome elven form of which she was so familiar. The blue flames deep within her eyes flared with equal fury as she watched him take on his true demonic form, raven wings ripped free from his leather armor while fangs and talons grew upon blackened skin. She shivered briefly from the sight, but remained resolved in spite of her rapidly growing weakness; her battle was two-fold:
against Calonderial and the baby that craved to touch the Dark.

Elessaria could not pause in her fight to check on Lyavain; however, she could sense he was still alive. She also knew he was succeeding at keeping the army of demons from her since none interfered in her battle with Calonderial. With rage and frustration at the sudden inefficacy of his magical assault, the demi-god hybrid tackled the diminutive elfess, pinning her. She suffered a glancing blow to her temple from the corner of the headstone, but she shoved up and kicked out in spite of being completely dwarfed. If she gave up now, it would be the end of her and the baby. Eless felt the slice of claws through the layers of cloak and silk and cried out unbidden. It was all the Empath could endure. She never again wanted to feel those talons rip through her skin, she never wanted to smell the clove tainted breath, she never wanted to hear the false song of his words, she never wanted to feel the burn of his collar around her neck. She wanted his tyranny to end and it was with pure emotion-- a raw, intense hatred that forced Elessaria to do what she thought she would never do.

With every last drop of mana she could gather and all of the power of her empathy, she let loose a lethal combination that was honed sharper than any blade into her attacker. Eless actually reveled in the momentary expression of pure surprise spreading across Calonderial's face only moments before he turned into a pile of ashes.
And then one day,
Fools and kings,
This he said to me,
-Ahbez Eden
Elessaria
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer
The Lady Fire of Evandar

Loss

Post by Elessaria »

{22 Jan 16}

Elessaria was completely drained; an empty husk after the magical battle, not to mention the bump on her head. She was slumped against the headstone and thoroughly grossed out by Calonderial's ashes all over her. That was about all Eless could think about until she remembered Lyavain and called worriedly for the gigantic wolf. The last demon fled with its master's demise and blood staining the snowy fur, her lupine friend was now able to join her side. "Art thou injured," she queried worriedly as her tiny hands roamed over the large creatures sinewy form. She winced several times as the baby refused to settle, but the magess had no resources less to quell the unborn child. She discovered no serious injuries save a light sprain to Lyavain's right hind stifle. The now gentle creature nuzzled her pale cheek and with that simple gesture, The Empath finally broke down with the realization of what she had done. "I killed someone. I actually killed someone using my gifts." The wolf did his best to lick away the tears streaming down his mistress' face, but they were falling rapidly and it was difficult to keep up. Eless clung weakly to the wolf, heedless of the blood and demon gore, crying until she could cry no more. It was finally over. Calonderial was gone and now she had a chance to bring this child to the Light.

The exhausted elfess pulled back to swipe a bloody hand over her eyes, taking a deep breath when she looked down to see an assortment of bruises and bleeding claw marks to join those that had been healing slowly from her last run in with the baby's father. She sucked in a painful breath, ready to attempt to stand with one hand on the headstone and the other on Lyavain's withers. Except before Elessaria even made it to her knees, the wolf went flying to crash against a broken marble column. His yelp before he slipped into unconsciousness pierced her heart and she forced her dulled senses to look around her.

Another form loomed as it stepped from a sudden portal, the sheer evil and power emanating from this unknown entity even able to permeate Eless' exhaustion. She curled up protectively against this rose colored granite and squelched a whimper of fear. The shoddy shielding she attempted to invoke only served to cause a croak of harsh laughter.

"Elessaria, thy title and thy gifts are quite fitting if I do say so myself. However, do nay even think thou art a worthy opponent of me."

"Who art thou? What dost thou want?"

" Always the inquisitive elfess, hmm? I am Calonderial's father and I am here for the child. Thou shouldest nay be so surprised," he explained, almost benevolently, even though she was genuinely surprised. "His elven blood made him weak, as well as his desire for thee. I, of course, have nay any such weakness, dear Lady Fire."

"He is mine!" She protested vehemently although she had little to back up her declaration.

"Pity... I can see why my son desired thee so."

Elessaria's pathetic shields were shredded in a blink of an eye and with the most subtle of gestures by Calonderial's sire, the battle-scarred elfess was paralyzed. All she could remember was the unbearable burning as an obsidian talon sliced open her abdomen from stem to stern. She fainted from the pain and awoke to an empty womb, blood drenched snow surrounding her prone form and the whines of Lyavain as he curled protectively about her.
And then one day,
Fools and kings,
This he said to me,
-Ahbez Eden

Return to “Shelter Amid The Storms”