A Christmas Party! 2015

The misadventures of Lucy Huntington Mitford, Our Lady of Lost Socialites and Women on Fire.

Moderator: Lucy Mitford

Lucy Mitford
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

A Christmas Party! 2015

Post by Lucy Mitford »

Lucy was all set for her little Christmas party, she and her housekeeper Martta had put the finishing touches on the decorations the day before, and the day of the party itself was all about the food. Martta was the cook, but Lucy did her best to help, acting as the older woman's sous chef.

Lucy's loft apartment was located on a narrow street in New Haven that felt more like Paris than New York, the bare trees glittering with snow and ice under the street lamps. It was not the largest place in the world, with kitchen and living room flowing right into the bedroom, so it made sense that the party was smallish. The walls of the apartment were mostly brick, covered in art, with the street-facing wall almost entirely large windows sporting views of the city. The only closed door led to the bathroom.

It was decorated in twinkling white lights with a real Christmas tree in the corner of the living room area beside the fireplace. The tree was tastefully decorated in pretty (but impersonal) ornaments with a mostly gold and cream theme with the occasional pop of red. Mistletoe hung overhead to one side of the room near one of the windows. Extra seating had been added to the always present couch and armchair with large pillows on the floor in front of the fire in case people wanted to get comfortable there.
The evening was set as a casual affair with people eating and drinking for the most part at their own leisure, with Lucy hoping that people would just hang around and enjoy each other's company. Drinks were set up on the end of the counter that separated the kitchen from the rest of the loft. Pretty much any drink you could desire was there with special help from Milosh Burns who had given Lucy a big gift-basket with lots of different wines and liquors in the recent Secret Santa exchange. Appetizers were served on the coffee table, small festive plates set beside a cheese board for those who wanted to help themselves.

No formal seating was set for dinner, the buffet served on the small dining table by Martta and Lucy at around 8PM. There was seating at the kitchen counter where three high-top stools stood, as well as a couple seats at the desk by the window, but those who might be braver would likely have to use their laps, or sit on the floor to use the coffee table for their meal.
The record player had music going--Christmas with Sinatra--to set the festive mood. There were also things to do: a bowl of popcorn, cranberries, and fishing line for those who wanted to add to the tree decorations, as well as pre-glittered white paper with scissors for people who wanted to make snowflakes. Christmas presents were piled under the tree, one clearly tagged for each of them (except Dair who would have to wait for Christmas proper to get his gift).

Although Martta was essential to the party arrangements, she was there with her husband, Pietr, as a guest, and Lucy regularly encouraged the two of them to enjoy themselves as members of the party. They were both older in appearance than most of the invitees, but they were good-natured, proudly telling anyone who would listen about their five grown children. Pietr kept slipping outside now and again to enjoy a few puffs on his pipe since Lucy had asked everyone to keep the smoking outside. Lucy's still nameless kitten was there, probably annoyed by everyone sitting in her favorite spots, while also enjoying their attentions.

Other than the serving of dinner and dessert (which was set out around 9PM) the evening was entirely unstructured, though Lucy was hoping people might be open to some party games or singing at some part of the evening!
-------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted on Fri Dec 18, 2015

Full thread available here.
Lucy Mitford
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Re: A Christmas Party! 2015

Post by Lucy Mitford »

After all the work setting up, Lucy was ready to have a good time, drinking champagne, and enjoying her guests while also trying to make sure they all had everything they needed. She was particularly affectionate, making the most of her friends and the warm feeling of the holidays.
She loved the beautiful jewelry box Peaches had given her, immediately finding a place for it on her desk, and giving her beautiful friend a big hug.

Lucy had gifts to share as well. Although she didn't make any formal show of it, she tried to make sure she was nearby when each of them opened their gift so she could watch their reaction, since that was half the pleasure for her!
Each gift had a brief note for the giftee, wishing a happy holiday and a sweet new year.
While she wasn't sure if the gifts would all be appreciated, she hoped so!
Originally posted on Sat Dec 19, 2015
Lucy Mitford
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucy Mitford »

Lucy was feverishly shopping and wrapping and sending out gifts right up until Christmas. Messengers came and went from her loft, off to deliver gifts. All had a nice note from Lucy wishing a happy holiday and hoping they enjoyed the gift.
The gift for Etain had an extra message from Lucy for her friend: I had no idea you were in town! Thank you for the beautiful gift! Let's get together and do the spa day we talked about doing. Are you available the day after Christmas? xoxo, Lucy

Originally posted on Thu Dec 24, 2015

Full thread available here.
Lucy Mitford
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucy Mitford »

There were additional notes for Zofie and Mona too.

Zofie, thank you for the finger paints. This looks like so much fun! I'll send you a picture of my first work of art!

Mona, thank you so much for your thoughtful gift. The knife is already being put to good use, and the lovely box is on display. I'll be enjoying the chocolates throughout the holidays!

Lucy Mitford
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucy Mitford »

A note for Antonia:

Antonia, I know this is an odd gift. But when I was recovering from my time away, I went on long walks outside the city. Eventually I started to feel stronger and more like myself. I hope you find this helpful and enjoyable. The hike on page 33 is a personal favorite. --Lucy

A note for Cianan:

You can pick it up at the Haywood Farms stand in the Marketplace the first Tuesday of every month! Enjoy!

Lucy Mitford
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucy Mitford »

To Mach: Mach, By process of elimination, I have determined that you are Kris Kingle. Thank you so much for the amazing lamp! It is going to the gallery where it will live where it belongs as an objet d'art. I hope you enjoy this gift! --Lucy

And a note for Serah: Serah, thank you for the lovely clothes! I hope you enjoy a day at the spa relaxing and taking a rejuvenating break from the cold winter. --Lucy

Originally posted on Fri Dec 25, 2015

Return to “Lady of Fire”