Birdhouse in Your Soul

(n) 1 : a joker or blank card that the holder can play as any card.

Moderators: KhaoticBliss, Amare Kellis

KhaoticBliss
Adventurer
Adventurer

Birdhouse in Your Soul

Post by KhaoticBliss »

Birdhouse in Your Soul,
or,
It Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time

In which the adventures of Jackie and Saila are chronicled.

Jackie and Saila, probably Up To Something
((image found on tumblr, not mine))

There's a picture opposite me
Of my primitive ancestry
Which stood on rocky shores and kept the beaches shipwreck free
Though I respect that a lot
I'd be fired if that were my job
After killing Jason off and countless screaming Argonauts
Bluebird of friendliness
Like guardian angels it's always near

Blue canary in the outlet by the light switch
Who watches over you
Make a little birdhouse in your soul
Not to put too fine a point on it
Say I'm the only bee in your bonnet
Make a little birdhouse in your soul

(and while you're at it
Keep the nightlight on inside the
Birdhouse in your soul...)

((They Might Be Giants; Birdhouse in Your Soul))
KhaoticBliss
Adventurer
Adventurer

Re: Birdhouse in Your Soul

Post by KhaoticBliss »

Deadpool!
(Feb 2016)

~Wherein the young ladies discuss the dainty matters of self and substance whilst upon a motoring jaunt to view a popular moving picture of the most smoking hot super hero ever~

Vroom! Vroom! Unmistakeable, the little red sportscar, and the grinning girl behind the wheel. Jackie had her Deadpool On, yesyes, wearing a movie t-shirt and baseball cap, red capris and chucks.

The car pulled in nice and neat by the porch, and she rolled out to kneel on the trunk, waving another Deadpool baseball cap.

"Saila! Saila! It is time!" she tried to sound foreboding, and failed. Jimmy Dorsey and orchestra was shakin' it up through the car radio and the sun was setting in slow and glorious majesty. Couldn't get much better than that for an evening at the flickers.

Dammit, it had gotten cold again. Why did it have to be cold? Everybody around her kept whispering about this 'spring' business, and Saila didn't know a whole lot about it except that it was supposed to be warm and apparently taking its sweet time getting here.

In slim fit black jeans that nonetheless hung lower than they should from narrow hips, and a long sleeved black hoodie with zipper detailing, her ever present boots laced to her knees to complete the outfit. Violently violet locks were hemmed up in a series of clips creating what amounted to a stylish mess of coils and tumbles, tendrils escaping every which way.

When the red sports car pulled up and the coffin girl got out, Saila couldn't help the grin that appeared on pale lips, practically skipping down the steps and along the path to meet her. The enthusiasm was contagious, mismatched eyes bright.

"It's time!" Joining her close by, her attention is snagged momentarily by the car. "....Wow. Nice ride."

"She is! She's my baby! I've won a couple of classic races and a few shows with her." Pride bubbled up and gave a toss to her chin, a sparkle to her smile. Jackie patted the red enamel fondly before tossing the second DP hat to Saila.

"Hop in and put on the seatbelts. It's got modern" she paused and made a stodgy face, "seatbelts and airbags. Because Daddy says." A chortle as she popped open the passenger side door and plopped back behind the wheel. A little car, just the right size for a few girls and their stuff.

"Your hair is all purple again! It's gorgeous. ...That's not dye, is it? Are you human?" it wasn't all that strange a question in RhyDin. She peered a bit closer at Saila, bright green eyes curious and cheerful.

"She's gorgeous," Saila agreed, running one hand lightly over the enamel paint before she caught the hat that had been tossed. Peering curiously at it, she shrugs, working it down into place on her head. Sliding into the passenger seat with an easy laugh at the girl's imitation of her 'Daddy', the muse dutifully pulls on the seat belt, latching it into place.

"Thanks, darlin'. The tiny lil Irish jerk magic finally wore off, so I look like me again. S'not dyed, and... I don't know. Kind of?" It was a complicated question. "You are.. not, though. What are you?" Free license to ask questions! Asking questions was her favorite thing.

"Oh, we're not really human. Sort of. A little bit," self consciousness was not a part of Jackie's psyche. She beamed sunnily as she put the car into gear and pulled away from the inn. Not exactly sedate, but she wasn't terrifying any pedestrians, either.

"We're mariners. Sort of like humans, we're from earth, but we didn't start out as monkeys. Or actually even mammals. But we got there." She did a little shimmy. She didn't possess the curves of her Mum, but she was content in knowing she had the genes to improve on what she had.

"Dad was human. When he was born. But things happened. And when Lady Fate decides she's got the hots for you... well. He's not human anymore. But we have a little human. I guess we can cross breed okay." TMI? Jackie was a monument to it. "You're not human human, either. You have all sorts of cool scents, but I'm not as good as Mum at sorting them out yet."

Saila absorbed as much of this information as she could, but it was something like trying to drink from a firehose. It brought a huge grin to her face, though -- there was basically nothing the strange girl liked to do better than learn new things.

"...Mariners," the unfamiliar word is echoed, tested out on her tongue. "Isn't that like... sailors?" Not mammals. Filing every bit of it away for future reference, the girl just smiled, lifting one hand to twirl her fingers in the breeze.

"...No, I'm not human human." The purple girl was rarely so cavalier with her truths, but in this instance it seemed warranted. "Best we can figure is that I'm a hybrid of some kind. Science experiment gone wrong. Escaped lab rat. Something like that."

"Mmhm, we were made when the continents were still skipping and sliding around the the earth. Probably really cool, but Mum said no, they weren't surfing around, they just were sitting there." a roll of eyes. Parents, amirite?!

"We were awesome sailors, though. Because we're part of the sea. Gills and all." She pointed at her throat, which was better than turning and trying to show the structures, which weren't really visible in the fading light anyhow.

"Also called practical jokers, because the ding ding crystal new agers? Well, they somehow actually hit on our existing, and decided that all of the ancient anomalies were because of our race. Which isn't actually true, because it was mostly wiped out before the dinosaurs were even dinosaurs, but it is kind of true, because that IS what Mum does but..."

Pause. Blink.

"Wow, a science experiment...? But how could you go wrong? You're alive and all that. Don't you hate that? An experiment gains the will and all that to be able to live on their own and they call it a failure." A red light, and she used that to peer at Saila curiously. "I'd totally be thrilled. I mean, that's the ultimate. A consciousness that wants to define itself."

The mercurial muse prided herself on her adaptability, how quickly she could absorb and assimilate new information, but Jackie was proving to be a challenge on a whole new level of challenges. Still, Saila had never once backed down from a challenge and she didn't mean to start now. So she pulled her bizarre eyes away from the passing scenery, focusing every bit of her attention on the driver next to her.

One hand open and closed reflexively in her lap, fingers flaring and twirling, flex and close, flex and close. Anomalies, dinosaurs, surfing on continents, parents?

"...I don't know," she says at last, when the car stops for a red light. "I don't have parents. Well, I didn't. I got adopted recently so I could have like... a last name and a legit id and stuff. And... I don't know. Cane's been running his own tests on me to see if he can figure out what I'm made up of. We've figured out that I'm made up of human and.. three other things. I'm beginning to wonder if like... I got discarded? Or maybe I was stolen or something. I don't know. I can't remember anything from before I woke up in the graveyard back in October."

"Graveyard?" A little frown appeared in the middle of Jackie's brow. "Hm. I'll tell Mum to come find you and Cane. She knows science things like that, she's kind of a mad scientist. And Dad, we are guardians of the dead, you know."

For a moment, she set down the superchipper Teen mask and maybe that was a look at Jackie as she was. Intelligent and intent. But then the light was green and she was grinning.

"But probably, they didn't think you worked, and dumped you before your soul was able to light life into your body." That didn't sound very sixteen, but in truth, she wasn't. "And I'm sure if you were, like, a zombie, Cane'd figure that out. You don't smell dead, anyhow."

Glee! The Drive In Theater was coming up quickly, and she jockeyed into line with the other vehicles.

"You seem really new, but you also seem really able to adapt."

Saila shook her head. "Coilin--my ex, he's an investigator, so he spent a lot of time trying to uncover information on me." For all she knew, he still did. The man had a hard time with unanswered questions. Unsolved puzzles vexed him something fierce -- he and Cane had that in common, at least. "He thinks I came from this lab just outside of town. Says there was some kind of break in that got covered up."

Listening intently, though, mismatched eyes moved curiously over Jackie's face. Even among those with heterochromia, Saila's eyes were weird. Distinctly disparate -- the two colors weren't anywhere close to one another, and there was no bleeding of shades between them. Almost like they belonged in two different faces.

"I don't know, though. Honestly it never even occurred to me to ask about it --or care-- until he said something."

And then a crooked grin found pale, angular features.

"I don't smell dead. That's good news. I don't feel dead? But I guess if I was dead I could have one of those cool-sounding coffins you build..." Grinning then, Saila laughed. "I'm a really fast learner. But yes. When I woke up, I didn't know anything. How to walk, what walking was, my name. Anything."

"Like a new soul," Jackie mulled, head tilted, until she wolf whistled at some hottie in the next car over. "Chimera," she noted, turning back to peer at Saila's face, her eyes, a glance to the purple of her hair. Envyyyyy. Such Purple Much Wow.

"One life, made from more than one. Like, a cat that's half orange tabby and half tortoiseshell with a green eye and an orange eye. But two or three or four... You could have so much in you and not even know it yet." Eager and entranced, until she had to move the car up a few lengths.

"Did your name come to you, or was it given? It's an unusual name to me. But maybe it's Gaelic or something? I speak bad Spanish, vulgar Mexican, pretty good German, and like, three words of Welsh, and they're all cuss words."

Pause. Wait for it. Her eyes closed for a moment.

"You awoke in a graveyard. In a coffin? I hope in sepulcher or tomb or something, a coffin... that's rough when you don't even know what you are." And this was why her family's brand name coffins came with handy escape kits. And snacks.

Handy escape kits and snacks? Man, Saila would only ever recommend their family's business as soon as she knew. At the listing of languages, she grinned. "I have this... bond thing... to a werewolf. He's sorta my big brother? Anyway. I can access all of the information in his head whenever I want, and he speaks a bunch of languages, so... I do too. French, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian, Japanese, Latin..." Trailing off, she shook her head. "I speak Irish, too, 'cause my ex was Irish and I got tired a' parsing his accent. Haven't had much call for the Latin yet, though...."

Leaning forward in her seat, she eyeballed the person Jackie's whistling at with a side long grin.

"Chimera," echoing new words again, this is one of the reasons there's a guy she knows who calls her Echo. "That's a pretty word. I like it. And...I woke up just outside this mausoleum. I couldn't talk, didn't know what I was looking at, nothing. I touched my face, and the very first verbal thought came to me. 'Saila'. Then 'face' and 'nose' and 'breath' and such. Took me a minute to figure out that it was supposed to be what I called the whole thing--" Herself, she means. "--But every time I touched part of my body that word came back. Saila. So... that's what I call myself."

Pausing again, she considers it a moment. Well, she's divulged everything else, why not this too. "...And Cane says it's written on my chest."

Headtilt. Jackiewas reaching to turn the radio down when Saila said her name was written on her chest.

"Like, a tattoo?" she wondered. She turned the radio down, and then tuned it to the theater's channel. She wouldn't ask to see it, of course, but it sounded cool. "Dad won't let us get tattoos till we're like... two hundred or something."

Family wasn't always great.

"I mean, literally. We age really slowly. We have birthdays, but don't get older until we're able to be older, if that makes any sense."
Cane was always complaining that no one ever told him anything, and this was another! But maybe someone would clue him in. Eventually.

"Does Saila mean anything? Like, Jacqueline means 'protect' or 'supplant' or something. Except Mom was just naming me after Dad. Who's named Jack." A grin and bouncing in the seat. She soon was paying for the tickets and cruised into the lot. She aimed for the middle and close to the snack bar. Because bathrooms.

Like a tattoo.

Amusement flaring in strange eyes, Saila tipped her head back against the headrest behind her, tugging lightly on the ball cap to pull its brim down a little.

"I'm covered in them, yes. I didn't have any when I woke up, and they've gradually appeared over the time since then. This one," she tapped her chest, high on the left side, more or less directly over her heart. "..It was the first one to appear. Cane says that it says 'Saila', but I don't see how. I'll show you sometime, but here."

Letting her hand fall to her opposite wrist, she pushed the sleeve back, exposing the bright blue seal etched into pale skin along the left forearm, just before the wrist joint. It was entangled on all sides by other designs, swirls of all different colors forming interlocking runes, sigils and other ancient symbol scripts. "That werewolf who adopted me? This one showed up shortly after I met him."

Her gaze slid back to Jackie then. "I'm not sure what Saila means, but it seems like. Really important. There's a word that's close in a lot of the texts I've read -- Selah-- and I'm wondering if it's a variation on that. Anyway... Cane did a .. a something on me to figure out how old I am. Turns out I'm seventeen, but uh. We're telling everybody I'm eighteen." A quick, conspiratorial grin flashed at the other girl. "...So how old... are you, then?"

"Oh wow."

Parked, and Jackie halted from unbuckling to regard the intaglio of designs. "Desdenova would really be keen on these. I know some of those are like, wards... protective spells, and some are probably like, ley lines..." she murmured, pushing back the brim of the ball cap to look closer. Then she lifted her head with an imp's grin, dimples and all.

"Well, I'm sixteen, but I've been alive ...about forty years now. My little brother, he looks twelve or thirteen, but he's really around twenty. We have to really be able to take the next step of our life before we take it. We're judged and everything, it's creepy but really cool. Ancient spirits and stuff."

Without a worry for the seventeen to eighteen part, nope, she just chortled. "Close enough, anyhow, seventeen to eighteen, especially when you've already had a rough start. It's amazing you've made it so far. Since October. Dang. Mom says names are important, and they have power when you make them your own. So... Probably is part of your network of lines and such. Like, part of an organic neural net, or an arcane one."

Somewhere, her little brother was perking his ears. Fortunately, the little squirt was busy elsewhere. For now, it was time to commandeer fuds. She rolled out of the car and gestured for Saila to follow. "Come on, now for the Noms!"

Jackie was rapidly -- rapidly -- becoming Saila's new favorite person. And someone her age-- ish-- too! That was a double bonus. She nodded once, enthusiasm evident in her eyes.

"That totally makes sense. And... thank you. It's been quite an adventure, but thankfully I sorta fell on some really good people to help me through it." Like Sal and Cane, and now Jackie.

"I feel like.. names are really important. That's the first thing I ever learn about anything. Its name." And then silvery brows furrowed as she was unbuckling the seatbelt, peeling herself out of the car, shoving her sleeve back down into place to cover the artwork underneath. "....What are... noms...?"

"Food," she replied with a giggle, "Usually tasty greasy bad for you food. Or cookies. It's a silly, childish way to talk but it's fun."

And Jackie was all about fun. The short order cook in the snack bar was cooking up a storm, and all the smells of an awesomely greasy diner were about - hot dogs, frying onions and peppers, pizza, fries, cheese, chocolate, sugar. Jackie wasn't shy about using their Cuteness to get through the line quicker. She ordered a small mountain of food.

"Everyone around here is in a hurry to be adult. You'll see little kids suddenly be in their teens, then they're twenty, in just a few weeks. I think it's a waste. There is so much stuff to do while you're still a kid, and humans, and ...well, people who usually age one year a year... that's not a lot of time, you don't want to waste it jumping ahead. You have to be seventeen at least a few more months, and that means..." Jackie abruptly had candy necklaces in her hands. The sort with the sweet-tart 'beads' and a larger heart shaped pendant. She offered one to Saila and pulled one over her own head. And then offered her disclaimer: "Except if anyone asks you here, because the movie's R rated."

Saila's eyes went saucer wide at the sheer amount of food that Jackie had ordered, but she agreed with the premise of what she was saying.

"Yeah. I'm not in any major hurry to be an adult. Sorta... set my life on fire here recently 'cause I was getting to be too adult too fast." A rueful grin. She peered curiously at the candy necklace, then, following suit and pulling it over her head, around her neck. "R rated means over seventeen?" Just to clarify. Saila was new to movies, too, though she'd seen a few.

"Yup," she nodded, "But in RhyDin... things are pretty loose." Just a wee bit. She paid for the feast of champions, and soon had them back to the car. Probably wanted to see Saila experiencing the new foods just as much as watching the movie. That was one of the most fun things to her, after all. Seeing people experience new things.

"It's Deadpool, he's obnoxious and mean and crazy and charming and awful and ... He'd kind of fit right into RhyDin. Do the things you see around you sometimes give you memories?" she wondered as she kicked back. The tray set on the dashboard, she tipped the seats back and made the car more comfortable for a movie watch and food devouring, then settled back down, eyes bright and grinning.

Settling back into the passenger seat, Saila eyed all the various kinds of food curiously. She didn't really need to eat -- had never yet experienced hunger, and most things didn't taste all that great. But she was up for trying just about anything once -- even if it didn't work out, it made for more experiences!

Listening to the description, the muse grinned back, her gaze shifting out the windshield up at the screen for a moment.

"Sounds like just about everybody I know, actually... and.. yes. For instance." She grabbed one of the food items at random, a foil wrapped hot dog. Her nose wrinkled just a little.

"The guy who made this? His name is Keith an' he hates his job. He just does it for the free movies and the girls." Sliding her thumb over its edge, she shakes her head. " ...He also eats four hot dogs as his comped meal instead of the allotted two. It's his way of sticking it to 'the Man'...whoever that is."

"We could make so much money with blackmail," Jackie decided that if Saila went into that line of work, she was naturally coming along to provide the muscle. Or finesse. Or just the bookkeeping. "But you'd have to touch people who are the Man. That means people who are in charge. Or at least think they're in charge." that could be a strange and diverse bunch in RhyDin.

Jackie, for her part, she ate like an authentic teenager, though she was secretly finicky neat, as she'd pass Saila handiwipes when they were done eating. She perked up as the movie trailers began to run, though she'd answer any questions Saila had about the shows.

And then...

The Glory that was Deadpool blasted across the Drive In theater's screens.

And it was good.
KhaoticBliss
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by KhaoticBliss »

Egg Hunt

~In which the ladies hunt for Easter Eggs, find themselves a secret super hero lair.

Easter and it was time to go wabbit hunting! Or was it egg hunting? Jackie was good for either, though she showed up in her Easter finery -- black and fluffy floofy skirted dress, knee-highs with skulls, black chucks. She carried along a couple of large wicker baskets, handing one over to Saila, then leading her off into the wilds of RhyDin City. "Easter's a religious holiday to some people, and it's all about candy and eggs to others. I fall into the candy and eggs category," she explained, skipping along the pavement. "And there's eggs and candy and such all over, because RhyDin's magical, much as it tries not to be." An odd remark, but she was, after all, born there. So she led Saila down a 'rabbit hole' of a dark and creepy alleyway. Along the way, along the brick and stone walls, here and there, color blazed. Eggs! Chicken eggs, mostly, dyed brightly. A few plastic eggs of all sizes, opening them would reveal candy and whatnot. Jackie snagged a big pink egg and cracked it open into her basket, revealing a lot of jelly beans.

Saila had never experienced Easter before. Or Spring. Or rabbits. Or eggs, for that matter. Pretty much all of it was new. Still, she'd done the internet searching, and picked out an outfit that seemed mostly appropriate. Her dress was also black, a swirly skirted A-line with crinoline lining and buttons on the straps. She wore a black cardigan with skulls embroidered on the chest and black thigh-high socks underneath. Boots laced to her knees with big satiny laces tied in obnoxious bows. Bright purple waves were braided down into pigtails, bright green skeleton hand barrettes clipped into each side for decoration.

Following Jackie down the alley, the muse absorbed this information, her scanning gaze already peeled for bright and colorful eggs. "...Much as it tries not to be?" Echoing the last part of her friend's sentence, it lifts up at the end uncertainly. "One of the reasons I prefer RhyDin to Earth is because it's so much brighter here. Earth is beautiful, but unless you find a deep veined pocket of magic like.... a pack's lands or whatever, the whole thing is kinda like looking through a bunch of scarves to see anything."

"In some places in RhyDin, it wants to be dirtier and harder and colder than anywhere on Earth, or even in Sigil. I don't know why. I guess it reflects who's around it most. But I prefer the magical places. Where there's colors or just... Like this..." She wholly approved Saila's Easter outfit, yes indeed, and pointed out a strain of moss that overtook the brickwork, bright and fresh green, where mushrooms were starting to pop out of the dirt at the side of the alley, and a pink egg about the size of a watermelon stood up, made a face at them, then called them a couple of trampy trollops and said they could kiss its butt. Jackie was still poised to show the lovely image of nature in the city, her brows quirking as she turned to stare at the nasty egg. "...That's one of them! Get it!" Pertinent details, like, how? she neglected. Some things were best learned by diving in!

Never one to hesitate in these situations, Saila immediately stepped forward, facing the talking egg. "Hey. Wanna drink?" she asked it casually, like talking to brightly colored foul mouthed Easter eggs was totally a thing she did all the time. Well, maybe it wasn't the weirdest thing she'd ever found herself talking to? And anyway at least it hadn't offered her avocado flavored condoms yet.

...Yet.

The egg stuck its tongue out and started throwing jelly beans at her. Jackie squealed a laugh, and slowly tried getting around the egg. But the trouble with eggs with cartoony faces that animated randomly, was it seemed well aware of the girls and their strategy. It bobbled back a few ... well. Egg-spaces? "Yeah ya chippies think ya got it all going on, but you're just a coupla mammals," it scoffed, abruptly slinging a floppy stuffed bunny into Jackie's face. She yelped, laughing, and still lunged for the egg, despite the stuffy. And slipped on the mossy and slick asphalt, but managed to keep from falling with a completely ungracious move that left her squatting froglike. Erk! No photos! The egg hooted and pitched glitter at Saila before turning and hop hop hopping further into the dark alley.

See... Saila actually loved glitter, so the so-called attack only served to thrill and enchant her. Giggling like a child, Saila gave chase, dashing down the alley after the egg. She was fast, unnaturally so, and when she had a magic signature to follow she was nigh unshakable. That animated egg is in so much trouble! She lunges for it all at once, springing like a cat.

"HEYHEYHEY!" The egg complained and was lunged at! Caught! It promptly cracked and crumbled into streamers, more glitter, confetti, and a lot of Mexican candies. Jackie came tumbling after, laughing, wide eyed. The short and swift chase took them from Alleyway to... The inside of a huge and ancient tree. Behind them, they could clearly see the alley and even the town clock tower. Before them, a verdant garden, studded with flowers, enormous butterflies, eggs, and a giggling stream. Jackie pointed into the garden, green eyes wide.

Caught! Triumphant, Saila's a little startled when it seems to dissolve in her hands, streamers and glitter and confetti pouring through her fingers. Mismatched eyes super wide, her grin is huge. "...That was so COOL!" Getting back to her feet, the girl brushes alley dirt and glitter from her knees, her gaze lifting to their surroundings only a belated moment later. "....Oh, huh. This... totally isn't what the back of most alleys look like...."

"It's a garden," Jackie decided, getting to her feet and prowling within. She grabbed a handful of the confetti and streamers, dropping them over Saila's head with a giggle before she stepped into the green space. "Maybe there's a prince in a tower with really long hair we can find and then leave him trapped there for our own heinous purposes." Jackie doesn't write for Disney, and this is why. She picked up a few eggs from tufts of grass and clumps of violets almost absently, keeping a watch around the garden. "It's places like this you find things like leprechauns, so be careful. Want to explore?" Likely it was safe enough, there were eggs hidden here and there, after all. She assumed they'd been hidden there by some of her mother's minions, or Thorn's people.

Saila wrinkled her nose, taking a few steps deeper into the garden. Her gaze swept this way and that, a giggle spilling from her lips when a waterfall of glitter douses her. Strange eyes lingering everywhere the magic throbs hardest, she nods. "Yeah. This place feels safe, and... different."

Taking a separate path that was still in the same general direction, the purple girl picked up eggs here and there, some real and some plastic, all brightly colored. "Is this... this isn't Rhydin. Where are we?"

"It's a little pocket reality, I think, someone must have made to get away from the city life," she mused, turning a circle as she walked. There were walls around the 'garden', but well hidden in moss and climbing vines. It was RhyDin, but not, exactly. They were in a little bubble of some deep fantasy anchored there in RhyDin. It was safe, benevolent, but that didn't mean that another egg wouldn't squirm in Saila's hand, making faces at her before it piffed! into more glitter and a cute tiny yellow crocheted chick. Jackie laughed, hopping over the stream. "Hey, there's a treehouse!" And off she went through the trees. Button quail scooted past Saila's feet, a few robins chattered and scolded overhead. No sign of any fae folk, her hair was safe. So far!

Accepting this answer, Saila finds herself covered in glitter again, but she hardly minds. A crooked smile on pale lips, she smooths a glitter-caked hand down the side of her dress. Hey, may as well be universally shiny, right? The yellow chick ended up in her basket, though, because that's where all the prizes went!

"Tree house?" I mean, it sounded self explanatory, and sure enough, there it was... a house in a tree. Her grin splitting wider, Saila was off after Jackie in no time, taking a flying leap over the stream that might have been overkill but seemed like fun. Steps slowing, she peered at the funny looking bird things that ran around on the ground. "What the heck is that?"

"Those are quail. They're ...kind of like... tiny chickens that beep." She laughed, leaning over to watch the little flock zoom around. "Chickens ...are... bigger." She paused and looked a little baffled because who explains chickens? They were the universal bird! "They lay eggs." There. The tree house was about ten feet up and set up much like a Japanese tea house. A few cushions, a low table, a small stove, and a view all around the garden. It seemed long abandoned, but was solid and intact. Jackie promptly swarmed up the steps nailed to the tree trunk to pull herself inside. Sadly, no guy Rapunzels, but it was cool and beautiful. If Saila kept watching the quail, she'd notice a few cottontail rabbits, a few gray squirrels, a chipmunk or two, starting to come out of hiding as they got used to the girls.

See, Saila had no idea what a chicken was, either. Sheep, goats, cows, horses, unicorns, pegasuses (pegasi?) Those she had a handle on. Chickens were new. "Chicken." Rolling the word over her tongue experimentally, she tossed a purple braid back over one shoulder with a light grin. "That's a really fun word to say. Chicken. Chicken chicken chicken."

She did hang out for awhile, watching the animals as they gradually came out and went about their business. Life force attracted her more than anything, after all, and her gaze slid from creature to creature, cataloging, trying to identify for future reference. After a few minutes, she would follow Jackie up the ladder, letting herself into the little tree-tea house interior. Silvery brows furrowed then. "Hey. This looks just like a place I went to recently. In Japan." Lips pursing, she ran one hand lightly over the smooth wooden boards. "Wow. S'old, too."

"Chickens are fun, they don't fly and they cluck cluck cluck..." she grinned, poking around the tree house. She found a tea chest and opened it, nose wrinkling. It hadn't been gotten into in some time, seemed like. "It's a tea house, looks like. What were you doing in Japan? A lot of people here, once they're here, can't get back to Earth. It's kind of weird. I've been in Japan, but it was a long while ago. I was little. Mum was working, and she brought me along. I remember the cherry blossoms and koi." Thoughtful, her head tilting. "...No, she was visiting a friend... ...Or... I don't remember." She gave up with a laugh.

The girl lingered there a moment, her hand wrapped solidly around a piece of wood, curiously mismatched eyes distant. After several seconds of quiet contemplation, she lifted herself the rest of the way inside, sitting cross-legged on the floor. "My ex- is best buds with this mage who can make like... temporary portals. They're tied to specific objects and phrases, but it can push you from one location to another super fast. Anyway. Given what I am, he sorta had a mission to show me... everything? And we... " Trailing off, her brows furrow just a little. "Wisteria were important to us," she said softly. "So he researched a location that would have them in full bloom over the week of our anniversary, or... monthiversary, whatever. It was... really beautiful there. This place feels very much like one we visited in the country side."

"Oh. Mum can make doors and portals too, but she usually has her co worker do it," she grinned, opening a packet of Cadbury mini eggs. She tossed one into her mouth. "I can, but ... usually just through time, and I kind of suck at it. My little brother's a wiz with it." Her head tilted, a slight frown at her brows. Exes were target practice, but then again, she never dated anyone that had any intentions, nor would she. "Wisteria. Why wisteria? Where did he go, if he didn't finish his mission...?" Wondered, as she offered the candy coated eggs to Saila. Sort of like M&Ms from Heaven.

When Saila said it felt very much like another place, she was probably onto something. Perhaps the wood had been transported here, or there were patrons in common. Preoccupied with forging the links, her smile for Jackie is a light one, anyway. She'd been paying attention! "...You can move through time? That's really cool."

Why Wisteria. Her expression turned wistful then, lips twitching. "It's part of how we finally got together. He took me to this place he'd found, wanted to show it to me, and it was full of wisteria. Gorgeous scene. It's also where we had our first argument -- only argument, actually -- and realized we wanted to be together." It had been a stunning night, and one of her very favorite memories. Now it ached a little to think of it.

"He's still around. I just... left him," she finishes softly, shoulders lifting in a shrug. Peering at the offered eggs, she takes one, curious even though she knows it'll probably be terrible.

There was something a bit shrewd in Jackie's green eyes as she took all that in, something knowing. Forty years a child teaches a lot, after all. "Sort of a whirlwind thing, those happen a lot here." Jackie wrinkled her nose a bit, and if Saila was probing the reality of the little garden, she'd find it was a tiny bit of Washington state, a little Japanese garden that had become quite overgrown and gone wild, anchored in a bit of RhyDin, a bit of a pocket dimension. They had 'grown together' so to speak. It was a stable space and very well made. The door was propped open between the garden and alleyway, and could be opened or closed simply by hand. "Mum is a time lord -- not like Dr. Who." she snickered, "She moves through time and makes sure that people from other realities and stuff don't screw up the time line. It's pretty cool. I'm not very good at it. I'm better at tending to the dead, like Daddy. More of a necromancer than a wizard kind of thing." But, she was curious, too, and asked, "Why did you leave him?"

Listening intently to Jackie's explanation, she gives a rueful smile. "I hear it was actually pretty sedate, by Rhydin standards, but something like that." She wanted to come back to that whole necromancer thing, given the ghost in the car and ... Saila's limited experience with zombies, but for now she let it go, choosing instead to answer the question. "...Because of that whirlwind, basically. He knows exactly who he is and what he wants, and what he wants is marriage and babies. We bought a house together and his family was pressuring me to participate in fertility rituals and I..." Spreading her hands helplessly. "I kinda freaked the **** out."

This is Jackie Staring. Stare. Stare. She shuddered and self soothed with a bite of a chocolate rabbit's head. "...You're... I mean, you're a baby. You're fresh from a grave that turned out to be a womb. That's ... that's just wrong. You haven't even found you yet." But she stopped herself because that way led towards righteous indignation and shotguns and land mines. "Wow, I'm glad you walked away. But you'd have had to, because you were destined to meet Me." A saucy grin and she drew herself up superhero-esque, hands on hips and all. The way back to the necromancy was clear.

"Right?" She phrases it all casually offhand, but there's a certain measure of relief in her strange eyes. Validation is still pretty important at this stage when she's feeling like the most terrible, ungrateful, selfish little diva on the planet more days than not. With a quick headshake, she pops the candy egg in her mouth, biting down. Her expression goes all curious, brows furrowing. "Oh, this is sugar. I bet Cane loves these." Because Cane loved everything sugary, right?

Tucking a few loose tendrils of vivid violet out of her eyes, she grins at the super hero pose, giving a rapid nod of thanks. "Exactly. And you, at least, were clearly meant to be in my life forever." The tone is teasingly light, but the sentiment is serious. Jackie had already dragged her back from some perilous precipices, whether she knew it or not. "Y'know. I am also a super hero." Conspiratorial smirk. "Do you have a cool alias?"
KhaoticBliss
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by KhaoticBliss »

Egg Hunt
Part Two

"Forever is for the likes of us," she noted with a certain amount of ghoulish good humor to her tone. Jackie nodded at the candy, "Probably. He's pretty nice guy, and he's been a lot better for Sal than probably either of them know. They get a lot of Drama happening sometimes." In case Saila hadn't noticed that. It was kind of subtle. "...Wait, you mean, like a real one? Or like me and my mates, we dress up and run Parkour and do public service projects so the cops don't bug us when they see us...? I usually cosplay DeadPool, but I'm going to do gender swap Joker, since Cane asked. Buuuttt... No cool alias. Maybe later. What do you do? Do you have a costume, too?" Actual super hero-ing hadn't ever occurred to Jackie, though she might even be capable of it. She was more inclined to call the world her playground and just run, though. And wasn't always the most lawful of souls.

Saila didn't really know much about laws, and the ones she'd heard of perplexed her more often than not. What do you mean there's a legal drinking age? Drinking is pretty much all Saila can do! Huff. In any case, she smiles. "Parkour." Echoing the word, her gaze ticks just a little bit distant, picturing her friend dressed up like Deadpool, doing some of the crazy stuff she knows Cane and Sal do together because, well, she stays in Cane's house by the beach.

"That sounds amazing," comes the reply, her focus snapping back to the here and now. "I've never tried all that but it sounds like fun." As for super heroing, actually where Saila was concerned it was totally kinda legit. Ish. "I do have a costume," a sudden grin splashed along her features, "but I've never worn it. And yeah, I guess it's real super heroing? I can do stuff other people can't. Particular skills, or something." Just a liiiiittle bit self conscious, there.

"Like, super speed or telepathy or...? Pfft, that's totally awesome! When you can do something others can't. Especially if you've got a crew that has other things they can do, and that's when you end up knocking coffins out in the ghetto." she laughed, because her Parkour crew and she did end up doing all sort of odd things. "Parkour, it's free running. It's like, acrobatics and running, letting everything be part of your course and finding the best way to go through a town or something, even if that means running up walls and over stairs and stuff. I'll show you, it's really awesome. But what's your super power?"

"Super speed is one of them," admitted with a faint smile, tapping a finger against her lips. "Though sometimes I'm super crazy ridiculous fast and other times I'm just.. above average fast." Saila absolutely wanted to check out this Parkour thing sometime. "The word is interesting. A lot like par coeur -- by heart. I would love to see it." Plucking absently at the tail of one of her braids, the girl mulls what to say, how to explain. "I see ...life. It's like ... a... " frowning, Saila searches for the right word. Rainbow? Colorwheel? No. "...spectrum?" She ventures, trying the foreign word out. "Some lives are stronger, brighter, easier to see than others, but I can see all of them." Saila was a terrible person to play hide and seek against. She could see you anywhere in a startlingly wide vicinity, wider still if she knew you well.

"But the big thing is that... that life? I can absorb it."

"Oh wow. You're like, my Opposite Twin," Jackie responded, brows quirking upwards. "...But I can't run really fast. I can drive really fast. I can make it seem like I'm going really fast or slow, but I can't do it for real. I mean, by manipulating time." A wry touch to her grin, "Well, when I practice. But you see the aura of their life forces, that's so cool. I see the spirits and ghosts of the dead, and I can ...absorb, that's a good word for it." Because 'devour' was a bit creepy. "And know what they knew. And a few other creepy necromancer things." her fingers waggled witchily, her grin was tilted and wicked for a moment. "Zombies and stuff. It's cool."

Saila grinned. "Very cool." Confirmed with an enthusiastic nod. "...I can see ghosts, too. Zombies, though, unless they're animated by magic?" A quick headshake. "Totally a blindspot for me. I don't know why." Which was a shame because she'd encountered them twice so far, with unpleasant results both times. "But yeah. Knowing what they knew. I can read objects -- like that hot dog the other day, or this tea chest-- but I'm much, much better with people. People tell me everything." Whether they want to or not.

"But... like. I have this friend, the werewolf. I told you about him before. For awhile he was struggling to get control of the change. Turns out I can read the exact signature of the transition and sorta... suck it down until it can't happen." A faint smile. "Leaves him feeling drained and fuzzy, kinda like the best orgasm ever. Also gives me an all access backstage pass to every corner of his mind," she says, tapping her temple.

"A good zombie shouldn't be animated with magic, it should be crafted and formed out of an iron will, a touch into the shadow side, a grasp upon the strings of life... and sometimes a good shake of Trioxin 2.4.8." Snootily, except her eyes were laughing, and then she did. "Des can sometimes do some psychometry, you know, to know by touch. ...He's my little brother, he's a mage, and he's really good with Time. I can know what people know, but only after they're dead." And with a few additional qualifiers she didn't add, but she might talk about that another time, "I can scent when weres will change, or that they are weres, but that kind of precision - dang. It's amazing you could sort him out. No comment on the orgasmic bit." She chortled, looking as innocent as she could, which wasn't, very.

Snickering softly at the lesson she's getting in zombie craft, Saila's quick to grab her phone, making a show of taking notes on it. "Trioxin 2.4.8.," she echoes, like this means anything at all to her. "Got it."

Listening to the rest of it, she shrugs a little when she comments on the specificity of it. "I read about... what's it called. The thing they use to measure a planet's energy, that goes crazy right before an earthquake?" Geiger counter. That's the word she's looking for. "It's like that, kinda. I recognize wolves a long way off, anyway, because I'm real familiar with them now. I can tell how close they are to a transition by where in the crazy frenzy pattern their energy is. Then I can pinpoint it and draw it down enough to sedate them."

What she didn't mention, but also didn't deny, was that she could draw it down a whole lot farther than that, too. "My friend's in control these days, but I run with his pack anyway. Partially cause one of the younger ones is almost as wild, and he has the potential for... widespread destruction."

"Oh, Geiger Counter." Raised Californian, she knew for Geiger counters. "Be careful," she grinned, because Googling Trioxin was bound to be an eye-opener! But careful for other things... "A lot of weres are controlled and commanded not just by their own physiology but by their gods. And wild ones that can't get command of themselves, well, they end up on the black spiral, and that doesn't go anywhere good. They become more destructive than you believe they can be, and well -- I'll tell you, because they won't. You can unmake them. The spiral dance goes both ways." Important knowledge for anyone dealing with weres, depending on the sort. "It's pretty common for a young were to slip down that path because it promises that it will make all the confusion and pain go away. And it does, for a little while. It's like diving into using heroin. Don't let them drag you down, because sometimes, this gift -- to know others -- can entangle, and if you can't cut loose, and the more powerful urges overtake you, you're boned until someone can get there to cut you loose."

Saila nodded once, her smile turning grim. "Yeah. The entanglement thing has been a major learning curve. Cane gave me a panic button, though. I can get free? But it'll unmake me, too. Reset me to zero." Which was one of the reasons she carried it all the time but had never yet felt an urge to use it. "..We're working on refining it." Though she'd never heard it explained quite the way Jackie did now, the words made sense, tracked with other borrowed memories in her mind. The girl really dug it when the patterns matched. "And yeah. He's the nicest guy I know, but don't you dare tell him I said that." A quick flicker of a grin, then. She was referring to what her necromancer friend had said awhile back about Cane.

"Have him talk to Mum. She can probably tack a stasis sphere onto it for him and that will keep you from ending up reset, unless it would be better to be reset. Sometimes, it is," she grinned, "This should be our secret hideout. I'll get my brother to re-make the door between here and the alleyway so only people we like can come through." Saila would be able to read that the garden had been left to itself a long while, by a kindly soul who had ultimately returned to Washington. Time may run a little differently there, too, Jackie hadn't checked. "Cane's a sweety, I think he still thinks I'm like, actually sixteen. Come on, I think we've been here longer than we think. I'd better get Des to shore that up, too." Or they'd be constantly late!

Climbing back down out of the tree house, across the stream and into the trunk of the other ancient tree, the girls wove their way into the back alley. The day they walked into was bright, brighter than the afternoon they'd left behind, and Saila frowned, pulling her phone out of her pocket. Tapping it once, it doesn't light up the way she'd expected, and she taps it again like that's going to help. When it doesn't, she peers up at the sky again uncertainly. "I think you're right, Jackie. I think we musta lost a day..."

The real question was, how many?
KhaoticBliss
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by KhaoticBliss »

That 70s Show

In which the ladies attend an Oingo Boingo show in California in 1979; Keirra gets the party started, Saila gets her violence on and also starts a movement, Little Brother Harshes the Bong, and generations of spooky kids are forever indebted to Jackie for saving Danny Elfman's ears.

Jackie rounded up the ladies, and deciding that she should go in with the fab hair colors, hers was deep, Joker Green and flayed out into wonderful wings that fell into Medusa coils down her back. Black Dittos, combat boots, an old military shirt cropped and decorated with badges, buttons, and Sharpy worn over a black Bikini top. And such Make up. So Glam, and smeared properly punk. Lace mitt gloves and a Spanish armada's worth of tarnished silver necklaces, bracelets, and such. Once she had them ready, the drive wouldn't seem long at all. If either of them were sensitive to such things, they would feel time peeling open, allowing them to move through it rather than to exist within it. From RhyDin to Huntington Beach in the blink of an eye. The vehicle rolled from a paved road near the marketplace to a freeway off ramp. Instead of driving in her little convertible, she'd borrowed Dad's other Ride -- and thus they pulled up to the Golden Bear in a long, low, sleek '50s Caddy hearse. They were garnering attention well before they got out of the car, oh yes. The sun was setting in a glory of gold and red, the loudspeakers were playing the Mighty Met --KMET radio. And the line was about a half block long and loud and rowdy. They wouldn't have long to wait once they got in line.

Saila had spent the afternoon poring over the bag of clothes Jackie had left with her the night before with her Rogue sometimes-roommie, plowing through all the spandex with one hand while looking at the Internets on her spectacularly gaudy cellphone with the other. Finally, she'd settled on an outfit she thought she could approximate -- braiding long, violently violet tresses into messy pigtails, she donned a black t-shirt with some faded band logo on it, taken apart and tied back together along the back so that it fit more snugly, covered by a leather jacket that she'd spent a painstaking hour or two decorating with safety pins. She took a pair of short shorts and cut the hems off the legs to make them even shorter, pairing them with a pair of lacy black thigh highs so it still felt like her legs were covered. Finally a pair of combat boots, lower and less modern than the pair she normally favored. So much eyeliner. All the eyeliner. And then a little more eyeliner just to be safe.

Her hands were decorated in a scattering of rings as usual. Around her neck she wore her usual necklaces, and added a spiked dog collar for good measure (Don't let Quinn catch her wearing that). The last piece of the look, the activation of an enchantment -- one that made her skin seem perfectly pristine. Not an ounce of color anywhere on her arms or neck. Weird.

It took some convincing on Saila's end to get Keirra out of the bed, but once she had, the rogue was up and getting ready. This was new to her, trying to pick out a style, but with Saila's help, she had done pretty well to fit in with the girls. Keirra had a style all her own--it was called the 'put whatever you want on and go' style. Half the time, she hadn't brushed her hair, the other half it was yanked up. Now? Now she had jagged bangs and mostly straight hot pink locks. She, too wore a pair of black dittos, with a dark gray shirt and no bra--not that she needed one, there wasn't much to hold up. Keirra had emptied out her bag-of-holding to include only a few grenades, a sword, and a strange looking bottle, and a few bottles of booze.

Don't worry, Saila, she fully planned to jump around the girl's neck if Quinn came out. Nobody would see! As she sat in the back seat of the car, she stared out the window. She hadn't really noticed the ripple in time, or whatever the hell it was, mostly because she seemed to be a little bit out of it since she woke up. Eyes rolled around, and she opened the door, stumbling out of the car. Silent, strangely so, she waited for instructions. They were gonna sneak in places and steal ****, right? Please tell her there would be stealing.

Jackie wasn't a police officer, and there was a lot of stuff to be found around the venue. A lot of drunk, stoned people, too! She parked the hearse and rolled out, taking a moment to swoosh, toss her hair and pose. Hello, World. Looked like the Runaways were checking out the joint. With that dazzling Princess grin, Jackie turned to open the passenger side door and bring out the pink and purple. Heads were turning. There was more than enough light to get a load of these three. One catcall later, and Jackie lifted her arms and whooped loudly. Wake up time! Not that she'd explained much of anything to Keirra and Saila, but it was distinctly her intention to be Noticed. They would need all of their skills in vaginamancy to get back stage. Back stage would have more opportunities to swipe stuff, too. A lot of people milling about, the smell of weed and beer and tobacco on the air, once they were out, Jackie would lead them for the line. But there were so many pretty boys and girls around. Whew!

Jackie was making quite a commotion all on her own, trust. And then she opened the passenger door of that EPIC hearse (So Saila's a little in love?) and the first thing out the door is a miracle mile of legs in lacy black stockings. Peeling herself out of the car, Saila stood a full nine and a half inches taller than the Joker esque gothabilly princess, and almost a foot over the pink haired vixen that stepped out behind her. It was lofty, rarified air, and gave the mercurial muse a lightning bolt of adrenaline. For half a second before attention divided again, it was All Eyes On Saila.

A grin split pale lips then, and she toyed with the end of one of those long long loooooong pig tails. Strange eyes swiveling from one partner in crime to the other, she just kind of... bathes in all that white hot focused attention. "I get the feeling this is going to be a blast," she breathed. "...No wait. What's the phrase? Far Out."

Eyes shifted from Jackie, to Saila, she wasn't a leggy gothic beauty like Saila, and she couldn't work it like Jackie. So she was the little companion, who was still mostly high. She slammed the door shut behind her, and was herded into the line. "I can't believe I'm not wearing a bra. This feels strange, and kinda nice.. Like boob emancipation.." There was a gentle hop, and not much jiggle. "Mm... So what's the plan?"

So many stares for all of that leg and lady. Photos were taken, a few people simply taking photos, some working for local papers, some mistaking the girls for possibly models or other performers. Pink did have a Debbi Harry vibe going on, after all, Purple was smoking hot, and Green was workin' it with perfect smiles, waves, and poses. Once they were in line... "We should free all the nips," she announced, loud enough to garner a lot of stares, both offended, impressed, and interested. A few girls took up the suggestion, and the bras were coming off! Pulled out from under shirts and tops, it was a ripple of jiggling that went up and down the line. "We get in, enjoy music, make for the right side of the stage. Then we shake down the bouncer and get him to let us pass." that she spoke much quieter, because hey, everyone didn't need her epic plan. There were windows overhead, incidentally, and word of the Boob Catch and Release Plan was getting up there.

Saila followed the other two into line, stalking the concrete like a jungle cat in heat. Blinking once or twice to clear her focus once they'd settled in place, the teenager was trying hard to make herself see like a normal person. The world here seemed to be in sepia tones, like someone had thrown a red veil over all the lights. Just... a few degrees dimmer than she was used to. Took some adjusting.

Shifting her weight from one boot to the other, Saila grinned, nudging Keirra lightly in the side. "Check it out," she hummed, bending at the waist to whisper in the other girl's ear. "That guy over there is staring at you like you're a betty to the Max." Mainlining energy, it was a damn good thing she had that enchantment in place. Otherwise she'd be glowing like a Christmas tree.

Keirra had been twirling Saila's bra in two fingers. How does she do that? One would never know, but Saila had probably been dulled to the experience by now. "This is like... eight of mine," she said, examining the large cup size. Though the knockout's breasts weren't super big, Keirra's were barely-there small. Then Saila was whispering in her ear, and she followed the gaze. "A betty to the what?" Yeah, she couldn't just touch people and pick up the lingo, Saila! Speak in English!

"So hot, you're chill, so cold you're baking," Jackie translated, getting her groove on to the music pl... Dude. Keirra totally just lightfingered Saila's bra. Jackie stared, wide eyed, and then whooped a laugh. "Chickiboo's got it going on, look at these!" They may have been briefly blinded by the nervous firefly flash of cameras when Jackie made honk honk motions up by Saila's hooters. The line was moving, and a group of Surfer Boys were grinning and gesturing to the girls. Move up in the line! Surfer boys so pretty and tan and blond and not all that bright. Pookha shell necklaces, visors, and OP shorts.

Saila snickered. It was true - Keirra stole her underthings so often the girl hardly noticed anymore. And it was a simple matter of physics -- the purple girl was frightfully skinny... for her size, but her size had her nearly a foot above her companions. Her clothes, small though they were, likely wouldn't fit either dame. So it goes with her bra. Modest on an amazon, not so much on a pixie. The girl shrugged helplessly at Jackie. "This is a thing she does. Best not to question the Ways of the Rogue." She intoned, like she was a cult leader.

Turning her attention on Keirra, she translated both phrases. "It's ...the local lingo for... you're super hot." She nodded, a grin lingering in the corners of her mouth. "See? These surfer kids think so too." Advancing in the line, she picked out a particular boy, dumb as a box of hair but about her height and easy on the eyes. "What's your name, fella?" Saila would ever so casually drape an arm around his neck.

Oh yes, no questioning the rogue. That was just stupidity at its finest! Keirra tossed the bra around her neck and listened to Saila explain. "Uh... Yeah, I think they're looking at you, hot stuff," she said with a shake of her head. Most guys didn't want bony chicks with the body type of a twelve year old male--and in Keirra's mind, she was still fat from giving birth. So she watched Saila in action, and when the super girl was distracted, she fished in her bag for the bottle and opened it. Attached to the lid was an eye dropper, and she put exactly one drop of the toxin on her tongue before capping it.

Before answering, the tall lad had to first look around to his mates, wide eyed, with that 'check it out!' look on his face. Then he stammered out "Uhm. Brent." Because of course he was a Brent. Jackie chortled and skipped along as the line got moving, turning and gesturing to them all. All, now, because a knot of five surfer lads were all happily circling around them, save for the Brent, in Saila's clutches. A few noticed Keirra's quick dip into what they assume was Amyl Nitrate, and thus, the small pipe of weed started to pass around. Jackie took only a token toke, she needed her wits, but the others were free to partake. That skinny waif look wasn't quite "in" during the '70s, but there were plenty to appreciate all of the body types. Some even too much, but that's why Jackie was always armed. So far, no one was too grabby or pushy. Jackie had their tickets, and she'd pass them over once they got to the door.

Yeah, but Keirra had that Twiggy thing going on, and Twiggy, though maybe past her prime, was still a thing. Saila took the pipe when it came her way. Pot was one of the only things that affected her even a little, and even that only worked for thirty minutes at a time or so. Her metabolism was insane. Taking a deep inhale, she starts to hand it off to the Rogue, catching her in the act of putting that bottle away. Head tilting curiously, she passed the pipe on to Brent instead.

Moving forward when the line did, the girl broke away from Brent with a nonchalant little wave when they stepped through the door. "This place vibrates with an energy I've never felt on Earth before," she murmured to her companions. Now that she'd gleaned a thorough education on the late 70s from dear Brent, she felt comfortable, adaptable. Chameleon. Someone should maybe teach her about psychedelics.

Following after like a good little sheep, the little thing felt the effects take to her body almost instantly. She was staring at her hands, "...I feel like I could set things on fire with my hands right now..." said the strung out little creature. "Like, just touch, and pffft! Flame." Miming an explosion with her hands.

The information on Psychedelics would come from the tall, dark glass of ink Saila walked on into. He could have been Alice Cooper with those long stringy dark curls, the dark eyes behind dark shades, long pale arms and a bowler hat. "Hey, there, pretty purple... Pink. Green. Dayamn." He noted reverently. Jackie swarmed around the man, he was a bit older than the other lads, twenty five, thirty, in there. They'd have just a few moments to say anything more, the band was already on stage and finishing their warm up. A wild eyed creepy lady, with that Morticia vibe, crooned at Keirra, watching her hands. "Little moth to flame," the woman grinned. That, and Jackie leaned to peer around the woman's shoulder to catch hopefully Keirra's eye. She pointed several times at the tall gent ogling Saila. She held up a key. She pointed at the man. Key. Man. Steal Man Key. Miming all that, until some very drunk young man thought she was dancing. So. She danced!

"Cane does that. Smells terrible." Saila missed all the miming. Damn near body checked by the tall dark and broody in front of her, her attention was fixed primarily on him. "Well hi there," she purred, 'catching' herself on her hands on his chest. "Oopsie." The smile on pale lips was coy, her fingers moving to smooth down his shirt where she'd inadvertently wrinkled it.

God, why didn't she do that before Keirra was high as ****? Still, she got the memo, and with Saila doing her end by distracting the man, Keirra danced around her and all but bumped into him. Her body slammed into his and she fell and hit the floor. A loud 'oof!' left her pretty lips, and she brushed a few locks from her face. "**** me, that hurt..." she mumbled.

"What do we have here?" The man crooned, taking in Saila's look with a wide and creepily charming grin. "You three have got the foxy chick award forever. You should meet me out back, we can talk." Talk, have a quickie against the hearse, whichever. He was easy. More than that, he was one of the promoters. But he wasn't giving out passes as easily as he'd offer a quick one out back. He shifted when Keirra body slammed him, hardly off balance. Mosh pits happen. The goth woman chortled and reached down to give Keirra a hand up. "**** you? Not here, maybe later," she cooed. Jackie was trying not to cackle, keeping a keen eye. She could see the back stage door, and the bouncer, but they may have an easier way in than even a swiped key.

Saila's hands told her everything she needed to know. A quickie out back wasn't even the worst thing she could think of, in her current condition, but boy that would take a lot of explaining in the scrap book! At least the polaroid camera would be timely? Trailing nails she'd painted black with a sharpie (to be appropriate, of course) down his chest, the muse played it a little coy. "Mm. The hearse is only for VIPs. You a VIP, handsome?"

Well, either way, Keirra got it. When Jackie's hand came up, Keirra caught it with her own. "Aww, come on, please?" she grinned and slipped the swiped key into her new friend's hand as she pulled herself up and watched Saila work. "Damn..." she said, crinkling her nose and turning her glazed eyes back to Jackie.

"I know," Jackie whispered back, sliding up to Kierra's side and running an arm around her waist. Oh look, it's an adorable sammich. Jackie tilted her head and rocked side to the side to the music. They got a few heated glances from Tall, Dark, and Creepy, but Saila got the bulk of them. Heated, Interested, Larcenous. Maybe these were a new band come to scope out the Golden Bear. He lifted a hand and went to catch Saila's. He lifted it to his lips with a steady stare. "VIP enough, beautiful. I'm running this gig. Your little sisters do everything with you?" He purred like a big cat, and kissed her knuckle. They may have to un-swipe his keys, but so far, so good. Jackie leaned her brow to Keirra's and whispered, her gaze never leaving Saila's catch. But what she whispered was 'do we let her play with him or do we roll him out back and bail after we get in?' Because she didn't know! Saila may want some play time!

Jackie and Kierra both were close enough that Saila could feel them. Intimacy in the one and raw power in the other, they lit up like kaleidoscopes melding together in a psychedelic blur of colors at the corners of her eyes. She'd taken in a lot of power in the last several minutes. Not as much as when she hung with her wolves, to be sure, but enough that the muse's senses were on. Good news for her girls, bad news for Mister VIP.

The music was good, and narrow hips swayed to the beat. She nodded, her strange eyes taking on an almost regretful expression. "M'afraid so, Casanova," she purred right back at him. "Think you can take us all on?" Look at that challenge in her bizarre eyes. Could he dig it?

Those eyes trailed to Saila, and then back to Jackie. She bit her lip, and rolled her eyes back to Saila, raising a brow. She couldn't just....touch the girl and get the answer--damn one way powers. A half-slanted smile, and then she simply shrugged her shoulders. Then Saila gave her answer, Keirra's eyes bugged from her skull and she paled a bit. She hadn't signed up for a fourway, and she'd made her joke about making out and doing Saila--but that would be weird, even for Keirra--who was screwing her ex's daughter.

Judging from Keirra's reaction, that would be roll the cat out back and bail after they got what they were after. Or, what Jackie was after. Keirra's bug eyed stare was complimented by Jackie's sloe eye skeezy grin. "Earn it." she neenered with a flip of her hair, turning Keirra and herself to make a pointed walk for the bouncer at the stage door. Jackie would so be cheering on Keirra if she knew about her getting some of Saila's ex's daughter. Woo! The man looked from the tiny terrors back to Saila, a slow grin crawling up his face. "I've got a few skills, a few pills." Reds, Vitamin C, and cocaine? "And just how do you ladies prefer to be earned?"
feed my will to feel this moment draw me way outside the lines
KhaoticBliss
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by KhaoticBliss »

That 70s Show
Part Two

Let's not remind Saila of Coilin just now... not if we want this ruse to work, dig it? She's having enough trouble with the not lying. Lifting one shoulder in a noncommittal shrug, the teenager's eyes were nonchalant, femme fatale to ingenue in ten seconds or less. "Imagination matters," she hummed, borrowing a concept from her favorite stabby Spaniard. "...Whatcha got nobody else can give me, baby?"

Oh, they could talk about it later! It was a fun time! Though Ash hadn't called her yet... Should she have called her by now? Keirra wasn't used to this thing. Of course she wanted to see Ash again, but she didn't want to do the whole dating thing--she was the furthest thing from ready for that. When Jackie turned her, the little rogue followed her lead. There was a protective look back to Saila, but then she was staring at Jackie with a tilt of her head.

Jackie tipped a nod to Keirra. It was all cool for now. "Don't worry, if it goes sour, we'll be out of here before anyone can blink," she murmured. There were always contingencies. She turned her smile full force on the bouncer, and she turned her nastiest little tricks on the girls already there trying to get past the big ape. She kicked an instep, she flat handed at the kidney area. "Get lost, Girl Scouts," she sneered. Both girls were much larger than Keirra and Jackie, but both of those girls were just typical beach bunnies. Casanova may have noticed Saila's girls getting a little rough, but he was watching Saila, noticing the ease with which she ran through her wiles. He finally smiled, and nodded. He held up a business card, but didn't hand it to her. He tapped at her nose with it. "I've got contracts with every mid sized venue in the OC and South Bay, and that does include Gazarris. I've got six shows, and I can get you on stage within a week. Providing. You deliver. And I don't mean just a well done blow job. I want to see an act that burns the joint down." Sleazy, but he was still a business man.

As starved as Saila's been, there's a part of her that's just begging this cat to cross a line. He doesn't, though, not yet. Wrinkling her nose when it's tapped, the girl is arching her brows at him, calmly quizzical. Like she's unimpressed, or trying to be. "Right on. Don't you worry, brother, we got it." This wasn't technically a lie. Saila, at least, could play the piano and the guitar and... well. There was precious little she couldn't do if she had the right person in front of her to draw it from. Ah, perceptive angles. "Maybe we can confab about that a little later?" Drawing her fingertips along the line of his shoulder. "But what can you do for me right now?" A glance, perhaps not all that subtly, over her shoulder at the stage.

The rogue was reassured by Jackie, and nodded. She was just a little too high to be herself at the moment, because normally, she was outspoken and seemed dominant, and confident. Eyes rolled back for a moment to gather her thoughts, and a healthy breath was forced out in a deep huff through rippling cheeks and O-shaped lips.

The Doorman grinned at the pair. "You're a little pair of spitfires, aincha?" he rumbled. "And you're just a big old teddy bear," Jackie replied, wicked, sly as a fox. They could probably spin together an act that would set the place on fire, at that, but for now, Casanova nodded once, and tucked the card into one of Saila's purple pony tails. "Got a thing for those street art bands, hm? I picked them up when they were still sleeping in their gorilla costumes. Come on. Let's see if you can heat up the backstage party any." He was pretty sure they could. He bowed gallantly to Saila and swung an arm to indicate the doorman. The door man nodded, and glancing to Keirra and Jackie, opened the door. He shoved people back until Saila walked through followed by Casanova. A dark hallway, a typical back stage setting, and then stairs. They'd walk into a large room dank with pot smoke. A buffet was set up on one wall, and lots of bottles of booze. A large mirror with lines cut onto it was set on a table. Some people were dancing, most were talking, a sort of west coast version of an artsy fartsy cocktail party. Oh and Stare. Every eye landed on those three newcomers.

Delight spread its legs across her mouth, revealing a toothy grin. "Dynomite," she purred, squeezing his shoulder lightly before she turned on a heel, plucking the card from her hair. The walk across the room to the backstage area where her similarly colorful girls were accosting a doorman, there was a serpentine roll to narrow hips as she veritably sashayed her way over. The red seas parting in front of her, Saila was reveling in her role as Rock Diva Demigod, turning that predatorial smile full of razorblades on a grody chick or two who looked like they were thinking about saying something.

Into the fray then -- this was the objective, yeah? To get Jackie backstage? -- Saila lifted one hand to return some of those stares with a wave-turned-devil horns. Seemed like the thing to do.

That felt...strangely easy! Saila wasn't kidding when she said that Jackie was going to take them on an adventure. Fingers trailed against the wall, as the rogue looked between the two, and then onto the tall man who was pursuing Saila. Part of her wanted to headbutt him in the dick. But she would have her chance later! She really did love injuring dicks but rarely ever got the chance. Such was the life of the little Rogue. Still wearing Saila's bra as a strange little necklace, she held onto the wall and took in a few anxious breaths. You got this, Koko Puff. Nobody knows you're too high... Just smile and wave. And smile and wave she did.

Keirra wasn't the only one probably too high. But probably was the only one still on her feet! Saila had that Glam Princess thang down, Jackie was grinning in amazed approval. She only needed a few moments, then they could get the ballroom blitz in gear. Casanova didn't introduce Purple, Pink, and ....hey, where'd Green go? He briefly realized that Jackie had nipped off, but figured she must have gone to the bathroom. He poured out a couple of glasses of champagne, then presented one to Saila, another to Keirra. There were a few ladies in that room that wanted to throw down and claw Saila and Keirra's eyes out, no doubt. Sneers, snarls, and even a few muttered 'jail baits' flickered around. "So, little girl Purple, what can you do to liven things up?" Casanova inquired with a slow grin as he sipped his champagne.

Drink you to death while Keirra robs you blind and Jackie reanimates your corpse for her own nefarious purposes? The words are almost - almost - out of her mouth before she can stop them, catastrophe only narrowly avoided by the introduction of champagne. Hallelujah. Bringing the glass to her lips with a smile of thanks, little girl Purple manages not to flinch at being re-christened Purple some thirty six years before it happened the first time, mostly because she devotes herself to the task of finishing off that champagne flute in one go. Mmm. Bubbles. Drawing her thumb along the edge of the glass, she sways a little on her feet, playing up the little girl thing since it seems to appeal. "...Well, I'm really, really flexible?" That one always seemed to go over well.

If there was one thing Keirra was good at aside from stealing and cursing, it was functioning at massive levels of intoxication. Eyes shift towards Saila, who seemed to be struggling, and she downed that champagne in kind. "S'true.. She's super flexible. Like, in ways that someone shouldn't be," she said with a smirk. "I'd put money, that if she tried hard enough, she could lick her own clam.." Stop talking. Stop talking. STOP TALKING.

Thanks, Kierra. You're the best wingman ever.

Casanova choked on his champagne, his eyes gone huge. THEY ARE HIRED. SO HIRED. A few others had heard Keirra's helpful remarks, and the staring was interrupted only by someone whispering wistfully "Damn." Still no sign of Jackie, otherwise, she'd be Tweeting that little pearl of wisdom. ... Damn, no she couldn't. It wasn't all good 'hot damn!' attention leveled on them. At least one of those people nearby let that remark provoke him into a very unhealthy interest.

If Saila noticed the subtle shift in the room's energy, and frankly how could she not? She didn't seem bothered by it. With zero self preservation instinct and a reckless disregard for her own life, there's more than just the invincibility of youth at play here as she holds her ground. Glancing over her shoulder at Keirra, her smile is all but kittenish. Only her eyes telegraph a warning - easy, Rogue - but even that is there and gone in a moment's notice. Attention slides, then, from Keirra to the source of the negative energy, mismatched eyes flaring in a way, then, that could only say I ****ing dare you. "Keep on steppin', Jack," she called back at him with a pretty smile.

Bringing her attention back to Casanova, the girl holds her hands up in a gesture of helplessness, like she's been outed in some deeply held secret. "What can I say? I'm a girl of many skills." Also accurate, technically!

Where the hell was Jackie?! Keirra looked around, and then bit into her lip almost nervously. She watched Saila in action, and reminded herself, they were all humans. Saila could handle it, and Keirra could be a good back up. She rested her hand against the wall, and swallowed her anxiety. "I need some air..." Or water. Probably water... The strung out little hellion mumbled, and then brushed those lovely pink locks from her face.

"Some skills can take you pretty far in this business, love," Casanova purred. She'd been upgraded from "Purple" to "love". He glanced over to Keirra, a brow quirking when she muttered. Dudebro with the unhealthy interest pushed forward and put a hand to the wall, leaning over Keirra with a sharky grin. "Hey, sugar ****. How about I take you out back for a little of that air? Let your big sis get business done." Casanova cut a glance to Dudebro, frowning. "Back off, Don. What are you even doing here?" Don, simply sneered as Casanova and gave him the finger before reaching over to flick at Keirra's chin woops hit her ***. Aw, that was just an accident. "C'mon chickie. Tell Mike to blow and your big sis she can join in anytime." Where was Jackie??! Ohnoes! But she wouldn't mind walking out into a big damn fight!

Saila flashed Casanova a knowing smile, silver lashes fluttering once. But hang on, what's this? Dudebro moving in on the Rogue? Oh hell no. Mismatched eyes narrowing an inch, she lifts one hand, raising one finger, to the promoter. "...I just... need one minute, Daddy, hm?" She gave him her best winning smile before she pivoted on her boots, stalking over to this so called 'Don'. "I told you to keep steppin', jive turkey!" The words were a snarl, seething with an animosity that just couldn't ****ing wait for a reason to spill over. Letting the tiger out of its cage, anybody?

Killing the distance between them faster than should strictly have been possible, Saila's upraised hand caught the back of Dudebro's head, shoving it face first into an up close and personal encounter with the wall.

The rogue was less than comfortable being touched in general, but when drugs were involved, she made a face and swatted at his hand. "Dun call me sugar ****, shrinkie shaft..." It was almost as if Keirra was trained in Ballet, the way she saw Saila moving in like a protective big sister and promptly danced out of the way. Her body did a twirl that was as beautiful as it was graceful, up until she needed to land to a stop. She stumbled against the opposite wall, "Hurt 'im in the face, there, hot stuff!"
KhaoticBliss
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by KhaoticBliss »

That 70s Show
Part Three

Casanova gave a flourishing bow to Saila, and then stood back to watch the violence with a smile. He wasn't alone. Don didn't seem to be well liked. But Don was large, and stared like a stuck bull when first Keirra smacked at him, but then... He was kissing wall and it was because of some CHICK. He turned, nose bleeding, and bellowed, abruptly a switchblade open in his hand. "*****! I'll cut your throat open and **** you!" Charming fellow, he came in swinging the blade, moving faster than one might think he was capable of. Oh hay, Jackie thought she heard Saila and Keirra auditioning!

Oh man. Can you see the elation in that smile? Mismatched eyes lit up, then, her grin splitting Cheshire wide. "Oh, baby, you just made my night," she breathed as the bull whirled on her. This is a girl who brought down werewolves and demons. An egotistical human was all but beneath her, but hey. Beggars can't be choosers. "Bring it," Saila purred, stepping into him, not away. Rapid fire, she brought a hand up between them, knocking at his wrist to divert the blade while the other hand caught him in the chest. His energy was gross enough --slimy, somehow-- that it made her nose wrinkle in disgust, but it didn't stop her from locating the power source inside him and pulling hard.

When he broke out the knife, Keirra stepped in, but Saila was too quick. She had it handled in a way that made Keirra stumble backwards to get completely out of the way. "Christ, dude.. Big mistake," she said, and almost couldn't watch. She lost her balance somewhere on the third step, and plopped down onto her butt. She was the most useful little human.

It was a nasty plate piled high with slime, but it was powerful energy none the less. Bon Apetit! Don's eyes went wide, he made a hideous and organic sound, and... The entire world stopped spinning. Time came to a neat halt on the head of a pin. Saila had her handful of energy, but it remained poised within her hand. Keirra hadn't bounced twice off her bum. And there was a kid, about thirteen, standing a few feet away, watching all this with wide and curious eyes. Dressed in a nice, if old fashioned, dark suit, wearing a fedora that was too big. Dark hair, dark eyes, pale skin, little Desdenova was much better at commanding time than his sister. He smiled brightly to the ladies, because everyone else? Absolutely bone still. Frozen in time. "Hi. That is so cool. Come on. We'll miss the rest of the show if you just stay here."

Bracing herself for a thing Saila just knew was going to feel like being dipped in burning lube, the moment of internal collision never quite ... arrived. Blinking, girl shook her hand out like maybe it was broken -- so focused was she on the violence at hand that it took her a precious second or two to fix on the new presence in the room. Head swiveling, mismatched eyes locate the kid who looks half her age but has lived twice again as long, lips pursing. "...Des, yeah? You must be Des. Cool trick, but like... what do I do with this?" Shake, shake, goes that one hand again. Feels weird all... full of energy that isn't pouring into her veins.

The rogue climbed to her feet and watched the exchange, she hiccupped lightly, thanks champagne bubbles. Looks like they were blowing this popsicle stand. "Nm.. Hold on a minute," Keirra said and turned to where Casanova was frozen in place. "...Guh!" was the noise she made as her fist went flying for his private area. "****ing creepy mamajama!" ...she was trying! See? "She's sixteen! And my sister-niece!"

"Hi, I'm Des, yeah." The boy eyed the energy, a sparkly substance dripped over Saila's hand. "Do you wanna eat it? Or just throw it to ground?" He knew why people dragged out essence like that, yup. He'd just never seen it like that. But curious as he was, he didn't dare touch it. Jackie came stumbling back up the steps and blinked several times just as Keirra was letting loose a round house on Casanova's man parts. "Dude," she grinned. Des, however, flinched and promptly stepped behind his older sister, grabbing her belt loop. Poor Casanova didn't move, didn't flinch, but whenever Des released the flow of time...? He was going to have one mystery owie.

Mismatched eyes shift from Des to the inanimate frozen monster in front of her, then down at her hand. Studying it a long second or two, her lips twitch, a tip of her head canting her eyes back at the little brother. "...This piece of trash redeem himself at any point in the near future?" Queried, her unusual eyes just a little glassy as she sorted rapidfire through the manbeast's memories. He was human, alright, but the things she'd found in his head rivaled ... well. Rather a lot of things she'd found on bigger, badder creatures. "If not, give him to me."

It was apparent that the punch, was most of the energy the little rogue had, because she was back against the wall after her quick rant. Good, ****er deserved his mystery owie. ****ing asshole. Eyes shifted shut, and she was once again, moving for her bottle for a second drop of that ugly liquid.

"It evil," Desdenova noted to his sister's back. Jackie nodded, though she pulled out her cell phone and did a quick search. "He's all yours, he leaves here to kill his mother. Plus, he's evil, it's allowed that those can be taken out when they're taken out." She watched Keirra with a tilt of head, but they could figure through the 'amyl' later. For now, she just grinned and waved to the ladies. "Come on, now we can go back down and watch the show."

Nodding once, Saila let her fingers flare one more time and then clenched that same hand in a fist. Pushing it forward, it looks like she's going to punch mister evil in the chest, but she doesn't. Her knuckles connect with his ribcage, but it's the lightest, softest, most delicate thing. More a caress than a collision.

It's all it takes to snap the connection, to pull all that violence free of its host and let it shimmy snake its spiraling way down her arm. There's the faintest glimmer of multicolored sparkle -- the twinkling of Christmas lights way off in the distance -- as the reaction shimmers ever so briefly in her glamour-concealed tattoos.

Stepping away from him, her hands drop limply at her sides, those disconcerting eyes fire-bright in their sockets. "You alright, Keirra? Lessgo."

The liquid touched her tongue, and she lapped at it, capping the bottle as that writhing muscle lashed out against her lips. Her eyes were mostly pupil by now, staring at Saila widely. "Mm.. Better," she said, grabbing the girl's arm and heading out with her so that they could actually enjoy the show. "Get whatcha need?" to Jackie.

"That is so cool, Saila," Jackie murmured, then she grinned and turned to lead them down the stairs. "Got it, it was easier than I hoped, I just looked all sad at him and handed him the ear plugs..." Desdenova clattered after them, and once they were trotting past the stage, he released the flow of time. Just where they could hear the anguished howl of Casanova, and the final thud of Don hitting the floor. Jackie chortled and led them into the audience, where they could dance and hang out and enjoy the performance. Desdenova split off from them and joined a tall, elegant man dressed for all the world like a magician. Which is in fact what he was, but also seemed to be Des's guardian for the evening. So they didn't have to haul along the kid brother. They'd get back ...when they got back! Jackie wouldn't leave them stranded in time, but would deliver them home in that epic Caddy hearse.
feed my will to feel this moment draw me way outside the lines

Return to “Mistigris”