Letters in the Vault

Sometimes, the dance called life is graceful. Sometimes, you step on a toe or fall flat on your face.

Moderators: PrlUnicorn, Mairead Harker, Eregor

PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Re: Letters in the Vault

Post by PrlUnicorn »

I’d like to say that New Year’s Eve has gotten easier over time, but it hasn’t. I spend the day with our girls, we celebrate the beginning of another year in their lives. Afterward, they go on to spend the night and next day with one of their older siblings. I can’t bear for them to see or hear what happens once the night comes. The letters being delivered to them explain why that day can be so hard for me. It’s a strange mixture of joy and sorrow.

This would have been ten years of marriage for us. I still feel the loss of you on this day as deeply as when the pain was new. Those that believe pain and heartache end with death, have never been dead. In the brief glimpses I have had beyond the veil, I know this to be true.

Tonight, I’m going to spend time with friends and do my best to let a little more of you slip away into sweet memories and try to silence the pain with Jamesons in one glass and tequila in another. I love you still, but I can’t allow that love to be my undoing. Perhaps, tonight, I can finally convince my weary heart to come to terms with only having memories and the reflections of you in our daughters’ faces.

Such things will never make up for the lack of your arms around me. While one might love the person that offers such shelter and protection, it need not be the love of a wistful romantic dreamer.
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

New Year's Day 2021

In the wee hours, I guided a new life into the world; a fine beginning to a new year. A healthy dark eyed child was born to an unsure mother. I suppose most first time mothers are unsure of many things. I did my best to reassure her that the baby was in good health and they could home that next day if she wanted. She was one of the many souls that the Nexus drops into Rhydin like raindrops on parched soil. A place to stay, food to eat, that’s what was needed for the time being. More can happen later, but those basic worries are not so hard to fix.

I spent the Eve with friends. I wasn’t supposed to be on call and indulged in several drinks. With the help of many dear to me I was able to remember, toast the memories of you, and come to terms with a few things. I think I can get through next New Year’s Eve without falling into a state of mourning.

You always warned me that you would hurt me. I think you were of the mind that I didn’t believe you; that’s not the truth at all. I still believe you were a better man than you believed yourself to be. What I never told you is that I’ve never been meant to have lasting happiness. One day, perhaps, beyond the veil, that will change and I can tell you why. For now, understand that I have often traded my own for that of others.

Love,

Colleen
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

After the visits from her sister and Gérard Boulanger, Colleen set more of her affairs in order.

Dear Rhys,

If you are receiving this letter, it means that I am unable to present you with this in person. I hope that you and Dris will be able to enjoy many years together. It does my heart good to see the happiness you share. I admit to a bit of envy, but it is far outweighed by the joy I feel seeing you together.

With the two of you in mind, two pieces of property, one in Seaside (south of the Hotel Ritz) and a small island (about the size of Overlord Isle) between Seaside and Dockside with geothermal heating, solar and wind power storage. Cell phone service is somewhat sporadic on the island, but there is a radio for emergencies. Choose which one you would like for what comes next.

I took the liberty of choosing a house design similar to the beach house you’ve been minding in Arcadia. Information is included to contact the builder once you choose the location. If you have another design in mind, the cost is covered. Let Harker and Hall know what you need. I’ve become one of their best customers over the years.

Fondly,

Colleen

Attached was a brochure with the houseplan.

PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

The next letter along with five boxes were addressed to Karma Armstrong and placed in the vault.

Dear Karma,

I am leaving you some of the dresses I wore, many years ago, when I was a chanteuse in a Chicago nightclub and later in a place called Club Paradisio in Riversend. Depending on the time period, you might find either an interesting place to visit.

I need you to know that I don’t hold anything against you for what happened to me in Old Market. I don’t know what your actual connection to Harris is, but I have never been one to blame the young for the actions of their elders. I’ve never believed in that business of bringing things sevenfold upon the children of one that has horrible things. It perpetuates feuds and hatred, we need less of that.

Find what brings you peace, solace, and happiness and hold all of them closely to your heart.

Fondly,

Colleen

Return to “Memories and Other Dances”