Restoration

Sometimes, the dance called life is graceful. Sometimes, you step on a toe or fall flat on your face.

Moderators: PrlUnicorn, Mairead Harker, Eregor

PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Restoration

Post by PrlUnicorn »

16 April 2020 Midday - Dockside Medical Center

“You sure everythin’ is in order wit’ the discharge papers, Clover?” Colleen asked as she sat with her legs hanging over the side of the bed. Her lunch tray of grilled cheese and tomato soup had just been delivered.

Maggie had her own mug of soup in hand as she faced her grandmother. “It will be. I sent someone they aren’t likely to give an argument.”

“Yer mum then?”

The teen shook her head. “Nope, Uncle Ian.”

Collie’s brows shot up; her eldest living child rarely left the farm! “Maggie, what’d ya tell ‘im?”

“That I’m not old enough to sign those papers and Pearl was getting you a ride home. Mama and Aunt Nikki have Abby and Madison to mind and, before he asked for the rest of the list ...” Maggie grinned as she wiped the red liquid from her mouth with a napkin. “That everyone else was in school, working, or looking after their own charges.” She smacked her lips as she savored her meal. “When he tried to argue … I said if he didn’t do this, I would send Aunt Chrisy up to help him.”

Collie was stifling giggles as she recalled the last time her oldest pair of twins put their heads together. “Maggie!” she playful chided, “Ya didn’t!”

“I did.” She nodded. “Then I reminded him that everyone else, including Grandpa and Jaycy, had been here to visit with you a lot more than he had.”

Collie’s face puckered. “So, a bit o’ guilt laid down?”

“Just a little.” Maggie held her index finger and thumb a hairsbreadth apart.

Voices of a fortyish man and a younger woman could be heard in the hallway.

“I can get her home,” the woman said, “but once she gets there, I’m not even going to begin to try to hold her still.”

“Neither am I,” Ian said to his niece before they stepped into the private room.

“Ian, darlin’, ya come ta see yer old mum, did ya?” She set her mug of tea down and held her arms out to embrace her son.

“There was a bit of coercion.” Pale blue eyes swept over to Maggie as the embrace was accepted.

Maggie grinned as her Aunt Christina made her way into the room. “My backup is here.”

“Mother.” The slender redhead bent to kiss her mother’s cheek. Shutting out the others, a message was shared between daughter and mother. The crystals are ready, I hope you know what you’re doing.

“Ya broke out o’ school!” Colleen patted her eldest daughter’s cheek. Time will tell, my girl, time will tell.

“I would’ve brought that ancient Mustang of yours, Gran, but it’s only got two seats!” Pearl jangled a set of keys that hung off her index finger. She flipped the keys over a few times letting them land in her palm and closing her fist around them.

“When my time comes, the blue one is yers. Not the black one, though, I haven’t decided on that one, yet.” Colleen slid her feet down to the floor. While all of them were ready to help if needed, it was Ian that held out what some might have seen as only a walking stick. “What’s this now?” At first, she was going to object then a grin spread over her lips. “Ah, now, a good solid ash stick, that is.” She took a few practice swings with the shillelagh.

Ian laughed and shook his head. “You’re in good hands. I need to head back, we’re driving the herds to spring pastures.” Before he left the room, he kissed Colleen’s cheek and had a silent exchange with his sister.

I know that look, Chrisy. You and Mother had it all the time when we were children. That plotting look.

You and I both know that it's better to be standing with her in the eye of the storm than to be in the storm.

Have you not yet learned? Our mother is the storm.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger. She was helping her mother dress and brush out her hair in the small bathroom.

That which does kill us ... makes us stronger still. They were old words from a family member that hadn’t been seen in years. They had served as both motto and warning.
Last edited by PrlUnicorn on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Re: Restoration

Post by PrlUnicorn »

Meanwhile, Colleen and the granddaughters were packing up gifts and some of the flowers that had been brought by visitors. Colleen had spent quite a few hours playing cards and chattering away with Jaycy. A couple bundles of flowers were handed off to Maggie as Pearl collected books and was tucking them into a shopping bag. Giggling echoed in the room as Pearl held up one of the books. “Really Gran, bawdy limericks?”

A deep rumble of laughter was followed by some coughing. “That was a gift, I’ll have ya know!” Colleen wagged her index finger.

“Someone that clearly knows your sense of humor!” Pearl rolled her eyes and tucked a few more of her grandmother’s things into the bags.

While she argued over it, Collie was rolled out of Dockside Medical Center in a wheelchair. The ever faithful Land Rover was outside waiting. Once the four were on the road, Collie asked, “Who all was in on this … caper?”

Chrisy was in the driver’s seat as she gave her mother a wink. “Might be easier to ask who wasn’t.”

“Well, I’m assuming you three have been thick as thieves in this.” She glanced over her shoulder where Maggie and Pearl shared the back seat. The twin expressions of who us that came from the counterparts was comical.

Chrisy laughed. “Three? More like most of us. Draven and Caiti couldn’t be here, but they did send their love … and some of your favorite things.”

The scenic route back to MacLeod House took a couple of hours. Collie drifted into her own thoughts as the others chattered on about the dinner that would be waiting when they got there. Nicole and Ariana had taken on the lion’s share of the food preparation as often happened at these gatherings.
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

Early morning - 12 Mar 2020 - Dockside Medical Center

Colleen faded in and out of consciousness. A figure watched out the hospital room’s window as a ship made its way along the Dockside Harbor toward the Ilarnen dock and Westbridge. Pearl knew that standard and those colors like the back of her own hand. She’d grown up with it and, in another time, that ship and everything that went with it was hers. This wasn’t her task to take on, not this time, it was Maggie’s.

There was something about survivor’s guilt that tore into people. It was like a knife twisting in their hearts and souls. Would've, could’ve, should’ve, were thoughts that haunted and taunted them. Things were different this time; they all survived. Instead of dying on the streets of Old Market, as happened before, Colleen’s road to recovery would be a long and rough one.

Colleen yawned and struggled to sit up. “What’re ya watchin’, Seamair?”

Pearl turned her head to look at her grandmother. “Ship in the harbor.”

Collie lowered one brow as she studied her granddaughter’s face.

“Ours.”

Teacup halfway to her mouth, the redhead asked, “Who sent fer it?”

“Maggie and Aunt Rhi.” A golden eyed gaze swept over her elder. “Some of your will provisions were activated.”

“Ah.” She nodded and took a long drink of her tea. “Yer mother?”

Pearl shook her head. “She was refusing to have it opened until Aunt Chelle reminded her that someone needed to be appointed as guardian for Abby and Madison while you’re incapacitated. Also, that your living will was in the same packet of documents.”

“Where are the Littles?”

“They reached a compromise. They’re staying at home; Aunt Nikki brings them to the city for school. She’s staying with them at the main house.”

Colleen nodded tiredly. “Probably best fer them ta have as little disruption as possible.”

Pearl was lost in thought as she fussed about with the bedcovers,trying to make her grandmother more comfortable.

“Somethin’ on yer mind, a stór?”

The young woman smiled. She was well aware that her elder already knew that answer. “Do you remember when I was little and you used to tell me all kinds of stories?”

“O’ course.” She sipped her cooling tea. “I also remember when I had a memory loss ‘n’ woke ta the sound o’ yer voice tellin’ me those same stories.”

“I have a story of my own to tell you and you’re in it …”
PrlUnicorn
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by PrlUnicorn »

She pushed the chair next to the bed, sat down and curled her fingers around her grandmother’s hand. “You know I rarely talk about what happened in the time and place Velen and I came from.”

Collie squeezed Pearl’s hand gently. “I do ‘n’ I know why,” her words were whispered. “Others before ya including’ yer mother stepped backward fer their own reasons.” Her tea was placed on the bedside tray before she brushed her knuckles against Pearl’s check. “Ya were told all about the Misfit Society ‘n’ Amber Custer speakin’ o’ what happened in her lifetime, despite being told by the others that it wasn’t wise. People were better off not knowin’, that’s what most decided. They needed ta make their own way.”

Pearl nodded and spoke as quietly as her grandmother, “And Gabriel Wilson, supposedly, he wasn’t born in this timeline.” She held onto Collie’s hand. “What if he was and was hidden away or …”

“Ya keep askin’ those questions, Seamair, ya might drive yerself mad. If a Gabriel Wilson was born o’ different parents ‘r one of the same parents ‘n’ a different one, he’d be a different person not yer Uncle Draven’s best friend.” Collie’s brows furrowed as the pieces started to fit together. “Pearl, are ya tryin’ ta tell me that I’m not there?”

She nodded and squeezed Collie’s hand. “It was my fault,” Pearl’s voice quavered, “I let you down.”

“Not bloody likely.” She shook her head. “It may just have been my time.”

“No, I don’t think so.” Pearl shook her head. “Velen took a mother and her newborn to safety. Of course, he was Doran then.” She had a lost look on her face as she remembered what had been, once upon a time. “You and I remained behind, the portal wasn’t ready for another transport so soon. The patrol came back, I guess they heard something. You and I were there alone. Before either of us could react, one of them had run you through.” The younger woman shook her head. “I still carry that guilt and that pain.”

“What did ya do?” Collie squeezed Pearl’s hand. “After, I mean.”

“At first, I went numb and blank. They took off, except that one. He stood there, laughing with hate in his eyes. The others, something about how they took off, maybe they saw something he didn’t.” She clenched the fist of her free hand as she shut out the memory of the unearthly force that had risen. “Then I felt a rush of pain, your pain. You couldn’t keep it from me, that’s when I knew, I was losing you. We were losing you. I used my commlink, but they had frequencies jammed. I couldn’t get you out, the best I was able to do was ease your pain. I didn't have your healing gifts. Even now, they’re limited.” Pearl’s eyelids fluttered then closed. “By the time Doran and his father returned, you were … gone. Physically, anyway.”

That remark caused a brow to lift. “Yer sayin’ I wasn’t granted rest?”

Pearl chuckled humorlessly. “Too many arguing over where you were going.”

A gale of laughter burst from Colleen followed by coughing. “Arguing over where I wasn’t goin’ more like it!”

“No, even the gates of Valhalla were to be opened for you.” Pearl’s forehead furrowed. “Something about guardians and … why would the spirits of Yautja warriors be looking to claim you?” ” She shook her head. “ I suppose that’s a story in itself.”

“It is.” Collie had grown tired and was yawning. “Has ta do wit’ not bein’ afraid o’ one ‘n’ bein’ given a war trophy as a gift.” Before she could say more, she was asleep.

Return to “Memories and Other Dances”